BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Beginner Banquet -Sorry all tables are full no room.. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 61

2011-11-24 6:20 PM
in reply to: #3434952

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Beginner Banquet -Sorry all tables are full no room..

Thanks for the Thanksgiving wishes, and hope you all had a good one as well!  I was boring and stuck to my training plan, so no turkey trot.  Also got a nice long walk w/ my mom after hosting the feed here.  Nice.

Dennis, awesome long ride, not to mention the calorie burn!  Good strategic donut shop placement.  Hope you had a good feast at the brazilian steakhouse.  Black Friday is all yours! 

Karen, congrats on your HM PR!  Woohoo!!!  Very smart and patient approach you took for your first marathon.  I have a feeling you may surprise yourself in February given your HM time and coming out of it feeling so strong.  

The more I think about it, the more I want to do the marathon in February, so appreciate the encouragment on that.  I'm currently at 15 mile LR, 35ish miles per week, will hit 1K miles of running for 2011, no major aches/pains.  The full mary version of the half plan I've been using would dovetail in with perfect timing for the marathon on 2/26.  Feeling kind of meant to be, or at least meant to attempt. 

2011-11-24 6:31 PM
in reply to: #3914333

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis
squirt - 2011-11-24 6:20 PM

The more I think about it, the more I want to do the marathon in February

Then you need to get registered.  Your smart enough not to do anything stupid in training.  I'm no expert but I will be a party pooper and recommend lowering the speed work.  Your going to be pushing your limits with distance, no need to add any extra risk.  I know, I'm no fun.

Well I did more than overeat.  I'm glad they don't video tape that stuff because if I watched it back I would probably contemplate suicide in disgust of watching myself.

The bike was nice, but there was  a long run (6.5 miles) on the plan for today that wasn't going to run itself.  So I went out around 5:00 and ran 6.7 miles.  Took it slow (11:00 miles).  I feel great now.  Preparing to go out, have a great weekend everybody.

2011-11-25 1:02 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Nope, no videos allowed at the Thanksgiving table!  Dennis, you had a huge calorie burn, so it's no wonder you were hungry.

I lied, picked up a trainer in the Black Friday frenzy.  New Ascent mag w/ 3 resistance adjustments for $71.  Low end compared to most, but I don't plan on it being a mainstay....just a filler to keep something going on the bike.

Hmmm....let's see, Steve says careful on the speed work, Karen says not doing speed work got her through her first full mary uninjured, and now Dennis says cool it on the speed work.  Thinking maybe I should listen

2011-11-25 7:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis

Hello.  My name is Dennis.  I am an addict.  It all started with a Felt Z6 I purchased 7 months ago.  I rode it 400 miles a month on average.  Then I went into a heavier drug when I purchased a Look 576 Aero tri-bike.  Ridden it over 400 miles alreay this month with almost a week left in November.  Today I went by the dealer to see what he had.  Maybe a little paraphernalia.  Maybe a beanie for my cold head.  

I left with a Felt Verza Path 2.  Perfect for adding a rack and pulling the kids in the trailer.  I can now ride my bike to Costco, Sam's and Target.  The zoo might be a nice ride on Sunday.  Monday nights in December are run, walk, ride only nights at Starry Nights.  The kids and myself could do that.  This bike is wonderful.  Already took it for its maiden voyage of 12 miles to McDonalds to get milkshakes.  Of course the right pedal bent crooked and seems to be cross-threaded on the way home.  But that's fine, my drug dealer will fix it up tomorrow and it'll be all good for me to pick up tomorrow afternoon.

My other option was a Felt Cafe 7.  Classier but not enough gears for the hills in my neighborhood.

Tomorrow I continue the overdose of cycling with the Burn the Turkey 65 mile ride.  There are 2 Category 5 climbs.  Nothing major but nothing to laugh at either.  

This morning I swam a Fishburn Set.  3,500 yds. of 5x100, 4x200, 3x300, 2x400, 1x500.  Very fun.  I'm loving these days off where I can overtrain.  So much fun.

2011-11-25 8:03 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Hey gang, still out of town until late tomorrow/early Sunday morning (700 mile drive).  If you are already doing 15 mile longs with 35 ish miles per week you are in a great place to build for a mary.  Your longs should look something like 15, 16, 17, 12, 18, 19, 20, 12, 20, 12, 20, 12, 8, 6, race.  If you are 14 to 16 weeks out from your mary.  I really wouldn't go past 20 miles for a long for a first mary.  I also wouldn't go longer than 3 hours.  So if you can't get to 20 miles in 3 hours then stop at 3 hours.  The recovery time will be too long.  And you need to recover.  So weekly miles might be 5,6,10,5,5, 18 ish.  for a typical week, You probably want top out around 55 miles per week.   So if you want to go in Feb you have work in front of you.  Dinner is ready.

I did a few sets of hR 140-145 rides for 25 miles this week.  Puts me at 4000 + miles for the year. Off to dinner. Take care.

Grats on the long bike rides.

Grats on the half mary PR. 

Yes first mary is to finish, second is to do it better with added speed work that looks like mile repeats up to 10 in a 15 mile run at race pace or faster. 

2011-11-26 3:05 PM
in reply to: #3915123

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
dhwebb - 2011-11-25 7:28 PM

Hello.  My name is Dennis.  I am an addict.  

Yep...that is the first step. Following that admission up w/ a new bike might have taken you back to zero though.  Nice opportunity to ride w/ your kiddos.  The starry night thing looks like fun!  Very nice run of training you're having for the holidays.

Steve, welcome back!  Hope you had a good holiday w/ your family. Thanks for the input!  I was thinking a time limit to runs would be a good idea, but wasn't sure the cutoff time, so 3 hours it is.

OK, so I'm pondering pacing for White Rock Half on 12/4.  Thinking about following the 2:00 pacer (9:10) to begin with and see how that feels.  2:05 (9:33) is a more realistic target, but I want to give myself a chance to come in at 2:00 if it's a really good day.  Supposed to be nice and cold if the forecast holds true.  Thoughts?

Karen, how was your Thanksgiving?

2011-11-27 7:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis

The 65 miler went great.  Around 40 riders.  One of the hills dropped me down to 4.7 MPH.  It was supposed to rain but didn't.  I rode my old(er) road bike instead of the tri bike.  I just didn't feel 100% comfortable riding the TT bike in the rain.  

Today I decided to just take off.  It took ibuprofen just to get me to church.  Took the 4 y.o. girl to see The Muppets.  A little over her head but she seemed to enjoy the singing.

Gym and swim tomorrow morning.  Up around 3:45.  Off to bed soon.

2011-11-28 8:38 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Dennis, sounds like a good idea to cap off the weekend with some rest.  Ha, yes you have to clarify which bike now!

Hubby decided yesterday he wanted a trainer, so picked up another one.  One tire on his bike was flat as a pancake, so good thing his wife now knows how to change it .

2011-11-29 11:45 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Helloooo out there! Anyone training, or still in recovery mode from thanksgiving?

I took a rest day yesterday.  Did my hamstrings in w/ a home improvement project, ate too much, drank too much, and surprise (not)...run felt like carp this morning.  Rest days are not my friend!  White Rock 1/2 is Sunday.  Hopefully I will have more self control, and less home improvement work on the other two planned rest days this week.

2011-12-01 5:27 AM
in reply to: #3919013

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis

Alright Carol, time to rest up and do that sub 2-hour half this weekend.  I'm working the first 3 hours of the St. Jude Marathon's mile 17 aid station.  Working the first 3 hours of mile 17 is nice because you will see nobody the first hour so you have time to setup.  Then the elites come through.  I learned the elites have their own table at the aid stations where they set their own nutrition up at and we aren't allowed to touch it.  So when it starts to get real busy is when the second crew comes in for a 30 minute overlap and then I get to go.

Training has been weird for me.  Running going strong.  Not missing any workouts and feeling fine.  I've taken a few days off the bike but am starting back up tonight.  I've decided to take the Coach Troy Spinervals 32 Day Challenge.  Since I love the trainer so much it should be fun.  Gym work is going fine.  Swimming, not so much.  I just hate it.  I though with the speed improvements I would enjoy it more.  Once I get started I enjoy it, but I just dread it.  Been a week since I went.  I think it has to do with having to go at 5:00a.m. that makes it bad.  I'm always tired before I even get there.

So Carol, back to you.  Good luck this weekend.  You're going to do great.

2011-12-01 11:11 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Well Dennis, you are not the only one not swimming these days -- see absence of purple (and green for that matter) in my log.  I think it being colder outside also leads to the don't wanna swims.  Glad you got a good volunteer spot.  Have fun watching the elites float by!  Biking plan sounds good, and glad you are enjoying the running.  This time of year is made for that.  When is the bike ride through the christmas lights?

Yes, I'm going to follow the 2:00 pacer if I can.  Not sure which corral I'm in yet, so that may play a role in whether that works out.  Anyway, I'll have my garmin "pacer" on my wrist.  I tend to overdo other things on rest days, so may have to go to the library and get another book to keep me out of trouble.

Hubby asked me this week if I would do a couple things for him: 1.  Print off the couch to 5K plan and 2. Get him a couple of new pairs of shorts to work out in.  .  Needless to say, those things moved to the top of my priority list.  I've been worried about his health, especially since his dad's odyssey began earlier this year.  I'm very glad to see him WANT to make some changes. 

Steve and Karen (and anyone else lurking), what's new in your worlds these days? 

2011-12-03 7:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Hillsborough, NJ

Hi everyone - it's been a long time and I haven't finished catching up on all the posts.  My father got ill at the end of September and was diagnosed with liver cancer.   He got progressively worse and passed away at the beginning of November.  Needless to say, things were crazy here for a while.  Still working through everything, but figured that what better way than to get back into training.

My husband decided to get me an early Christmas present and came home today with a Trek Lexa S bike that I had been eyeing.  (Along with a cateye computer and Cycleops fluid trainer!)  I rode it for half an hour tonight - but can't wait to keep riding!

Been thinking of you guys - hope you're all doing well.

(trek2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
trek2.jpg (48KB - 9 downloads)
2011-12-04 3:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis
{Dennis is patiently waiting on Carol to report in on the half.}
2011-12-04 3:46 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Ceril, I'm so sorry to hear about your dad.  What a difficult time you and your family have been through.  I'm sure he felt your love and support all the way.  Yes, training is cheper than therapy, so hopefully getting some endorphins going will help you as you grieve.   So very glad to "see" you.

Today was a very challenging day and a mixed bag for sure.  Raining and cold, though tolerable while running.  Bottom line for me...I was on pace for a 2:00 half....stalking the 2:00 pace guys through mile 9 (log has garmin download as my proof .  Had a 10K PR along the way.  About mile 9.3, I stepped in a puddle, which turned out to be a pothole, sprained my ankle and fell.  Initial pain took my breath away for a minute or two, but subsided to the point that I could put weight on it.  Limped the next block w/ a nice police officer, turned down the sag wagon, and he hooked me up with a trainer from Baylor who taped my ankle in the back of her SUV.  Started off mostly walking after that, and managed to jog a little of the remaining 4 miles, and finished in 2:18, which was still a PR for me.  Moving pace was 2:08.  

I'm disappointed that I didn't find out today if I could come in at 2:00 or less. The sprain/fall happened right before the course turned downhill for the remaining 4 miles.  I also have to wonder what this means for my January 1/2 and February full mary dreams since the ankle will need to heal.  But I am so impressed with the kindness offered by total strangers.  Two guys helped me get up and would have stayed if I hadn't told them to go on.  Lady from a nearby house who saw and brought me water, and the police officer and trainer were so wonderful to me.  I really think that is what I will remember most from today.   

And Dennis, thanks so much for asking.  You are an awesome teammate!

Edited by squirt 2011-12-04 3:47 PM
2011-12-04 7:05 PM
in reply to: #3925648

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis
A PR with an injury. A pretty serious one that required outside attention. You are just getting warmed up and doing great. I'm not you but perhaps that marathon will have to wait. That's life. You're young, There are more in your future. This coming from a man who envied every runner that he saw running the marathon this weekend that he DNSed. I feel your [mental] pain of not finishing strong but I bet you still beat half the runners today. And let's face it, you had a valid reason to quit but didn't. Good job. I'm proud of you.
2011-12-05 11:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Hillsborough, NJ
Carol - WOW. WOW. PR with injury - You're my hero. I hope you get the ankle checked out and your sports guy gives you a good prognosis! I know you were so close to your goal and that would irk me for a while. Still catching up on the last several pages of posts - but amazed by all the progress.

Dennis - searching back posts on your trainer workouts and swim progress as that is what I'm focusing on - alot of info to digest! I thought of you often when I was looking for a bike. (checking off in my head all the ways that I'm NOT a real cyclist - haha - I'm just hoping that I'll be better than 'not riding'). Also thought of you when I got my new bike home and was already thinking of what my next bike may be as my daughter already threatens to take over this bike - but many miles to go before I get there.

Too many months off and I feel nearly back to square one. Early morning trainer rides this week have been really short - but have felt brutal. Oh well, it is what it is - just gonna get back up and do it again anyway! Hoping to swim 2 or 3 days this week - not ready to get back to swim class - just short workouts, but really considering just getting private lessons.

Edited by CKslowpoke 2011-12-05 11:36 AM

2011-12-05 1:43 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Dennis, that sucks watching an event that you were planning to run.  As you know, I've had a really hard time getting over some of that in my past.  But only those who don't dare to train and try stay "safe" (maybe).  I'm still glad we have all ventured out of the safe zone to have some adventures.

Ceril, great going on easing back into training!  You are smart and so is your approach.  I've been thinking about some private swim lessons too.  Have you scoped out any local coaches?  Dennis did a few lessons like that and it really paid off for him.  And hey, it would be very giving of you as a mom to give your bike to your daughter and trade up (wicked grin)!

Went to the foot/ankle dr today.  Saw a different doc in the practice, and he had on his White Rock 1/2 shirt from yesterday. As for me, no fractures, but a sprain involving a couple tendons that may require some time to heal.  I'm in a wrap thingie and walking boot for a week + RICE, and then recheck.  Carlsbad 1/2 is still a possibility, though not likely to be able to train well for it.  I think my marathon dreams may need to remain in my head a while longer.  For some reason I knew I needed to wait until after this race to change my entry to a full.  New goal: don't eat myself silly while sitting on the couch. 

Hey Steve, you still alive out there?  How about you Karen?  And anyone else lurking.  Come join us for some training, or starting over, or just sitting on the couch reading a book. 

2011-12-05 9:53 PM
in reply to: #3926973

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis

I think we ran Steve off Carol.  It's been a week and a half since he posted.  His last login was early on Saturday morning.  I just looked at his blog, the low tonight where he's from is 8.  He might be frozen.  I'm not sure how many layers to were for those temperatures.

Ceril, just get in the mileage on the trainer.  I'd go low force, high cadence to build back your aerobic base.  I've been using the Spinervals DVDs guide my workouts.  A couple of the aero base builder DVDs would be more than enough for you to get back into the swing of things with.  Always ride with your HR monitor and keep everything in zone 2.  It'll come back real quick.

Carol, at least it is just a sprain.  Your tough and will be fine.  Can you swim with a sprain(with pull buoy)?  You said you needed some purple in your graphs, go get some.  5 days a week in the pool for the next week or two will keep you off that couch.  We do 3 sports for a reason.

2011-12-06 9:22 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Oh my, 8 degrees...brrr!!!!!  Poor Steve didn't realize that some of his mentees just won't go away .

Ceril, if you have read some of the back threads you will see that Dennis is our resident biking ANIMAL!  So he has good advice.

Yes, I'm looking forward to some swimming.  Will have to wait a bit even on that though.  I can take the boot off, but the ankle is also wrapped up w/ some topical medicine underneath until I go back to the doc on Monday.  Just taking a bath involves a trash sack and some duct tape.  I'm going to find my hand weights and do a little upper body and core stuff.

2011-12-07 6:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Hillsborough, NJ
Carol - Thankfully it wasn't worse! But, now is the hard part - being good about recovery! In one of my spin classes - there was a lady riding with her leg from below the knee in a cast - I think that was a bit much. Although I do think that core stuff and swim sounds perfect. Did I read correctly that you and hubby both got trainers? My son wanted to ride his bike too while watching tv - but his bike was too small to fit.

Dennis - thanks for the advice - did higher cadence lower resistance this morning. Looking at some free cadence podcasts but seem to keep finding ones for runners that list really high cadences like 135. I didn't realize that runners use such high cadence? I've heard people throw around a bike cadence to run cadence relationship but don't know much about it.
2011-12-08 7:42 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Hey Ceril, looks like you are getting some really good consistency going on your bike.  I see a lot of green on your graph

Yes, riding a spin bike in a boot sounds...well...kinda crazy, but I could see where it might be worth a try in a long term situation.  Yes, we did get trainers.  Mine is all set up, but hubby's is not quite there yet.  He is actually doing the Couch to 5K program now, so whatever works! 

Dennis, how's the stable of bikes these days?  Do your kids like to ride? 

Ugh, inactivity sucks!  My most active dog went on hunger strike yesterday....I think she's really missing her walks.  It's also Christmas cookie baking time.  This is a dangerous combination! 

Anyone have any pull bouy tips?  I think I'm going to pick one up for when I get this wrap off my ankle next week.

Steve, Karen, Samantha, if you're lurking come let us know how you're doing when you can. 

Edited by squirt 2011-12-08 7:46 AM

2011-12-09 5:59 AM
in reply to: #3930728

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis

It's kinda my rest week so I haven't ridden much at all. I have kept my running up this week though.  I'm in a swimming funk though.  I haven't been in the pool since Black Friday.  I've resolved to correct that starting next week.

The run/bike cadence is typically close to 1:1.  Most recommendations are to run around 90 strides per minute.  I've read this depends on your height with shorter people running with a little higher cadence than tall people.  The bike cadence is also recommended to be around 85-95 overall.  Keeps you using those slow-twitch muscle fibers.  I did read an article recently recommending lowering your cadence 5-10 rpm for mostly flat courses such as IMFL.  They told the science behind it but since I'm not doing flat riding, I didn't pay much attention to it.

Now make sure when you go high cadence that you aren't bouncing around on the saddle.  You should still have a relaxed upper body and just your legs moving.  If you're bouncing some, lower your cadence.

2011-12-09 6:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis
I forgot to mention Wednesday morning was a first.  A 9.5 mile long run at 4:00am with it constantly snowing.  I had to turn around after running just 100 feet to get my sunglasses so I could keep the snow out of my eyes.  I won't be trying that with the bike though.
2011-12-09 9:59 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Hey Dennis, nice snowy run!  Did you have that nice hush that comes over everything when it snows?  So fun...until it turns to slush...and refreezes overnight.  Good job getting back to the pool next week.  Maybe after a break you will find the swimming love again.

I think I'm going to sign up for this if I can get a slot: 

http://www.dallasathletes.com/toms-pool-school/

Seems like just what I've been looking for and it's fairly close to home.  A bit more swim focus will probably be good for rehabing the ankle.  I'm suggesting to hubby that this be my Christmas present.  Isn't that nice of me ??

2011-12-10 12:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Hillsborough, NJ
Running in the snow - I kind of dread that scenario! So that's what happens on your off week?

I went for my first swim in a LONG time on wednesday - it was , of course, brutal. I only did a few laps - I think about 350m and I was doing some rotation drills, pull buoy and kick board and it was hard to get back into the mindset. But it went as I expected....until I got up the next morning and felt like I had been kicked in the ribs - Oww!!

On the positive side - I used to hate swimming with the pull buoy - at first I felt like I wasn't going forward at all! Now I actually swim faster with it. Hoping to get much more swimming in this week also.

Getting fitted at the LBS tomorrow after they mount my SPD pedals. Also attending the "how to fix a flat" class. I was given a spinervals DVD - some fall foliage ride that I hope to try soon. At higher cadence I've been adding gearing so I don't bounce in the saddle.

Been listening to some tri specific podcasts while at work - hoping to gain motivation and education - some great stuff!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Beginner Banquet -Sorry all tables are full no room.. Rss Feed  

of 61