Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 84

2011-10-04 2:54 AM
in reply to: #3436601

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group - CLOSED

First of all - Jackie, congratulations!!! And a medal??? How awesome! This is a milestone and a strong confidence builder. I remember before my first Oly that was all I ever wanted to do. What to do next is a very personal thing and entirely depends on what really motivates you. But either way, seems you got hooked on this and will do all other distances in the future, sooner or later.

Chris, fantastic time, I don't know what you're on about. This is one hell of a distance to run. Congratulations!

2011-10-04 12:49 PM
in reply to: #3709945

User image

Master
Jackie - Great race and enjoyed your race report!  Awesome!!!
2011-10-04 9:54 PM

User image

Master
Dallas
jdiis - 2011-10-03 6:57 PM

Thanks for all of your support and congratulations guys! 

Chris, great job on the marathon.  Wow, I hate it when they stick those hills in at the wrong place.

Today was recovery day.  I slept late, had a deep tissue massage and took a nap. My mentor says I get stronger during recovery Innocent My calves and ankles still hurt.  And my left knee hurts just to the left of the kneecap.  I iced it yesterday.  Tonight I'm doing the epsom salts bath.  Now I'm going to recovery walk around Town Lake with no Garmin!

Chris, I owe you pics from Austin and Rockwall.  I'll get to them this week, I promise.

I'm pondering what to train for next.  Half marathon, another Olympic, half-iron, or back to sprints . . .  Any suggestions?

Well, the fall season is ideal for running, take on a half and prepare for it in the upcoming weeks... You have great choices, the biggest one being White Rock in Dallas (December) or Austin in February (hilly) or the 3M half in Austin (all downhill, point to point race) during January.
2011-10-05 7:16 AM

User image

Master

Couple neat things I saw yesterday:

Garmin released the new 910XT.  I think it does everything but guarantee a finish or a win.  It even tracks the number of laps you swim and computes your swim golf score.  DC Rainmaker did an in depth review.  If you haven't read his reviews or visited his site before it is a wealth of knowledge.  Link:  http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/10/garmin-forerunner-910xt-in-depth-review.html.  Based on the review and my desire to get a power meter sometime in the near fuure this watch seems like the perfect training companion.

Also on his site were two a few articles that many here could benefit from.

Racing the line – understanding how courses are measured

The Art of Pacing with a Garmin

How calorie measurement works on Garmin fitness devices

2011-10-05 9:22 PM

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Gabe,

Talk to us! What's up? How is the taper going?

Ernesto,

Still not swimming?

Edited by older2533 2011-10-05 9:26 PM
2011-10-05 10:57 PM
in reply to: #3713095

User image

Expert
Guatemala

older2533 - 2011-10-05 8:22 PM Gabe, Talk to us! What's up? How is the taper going? Ernesto, Still not swimming?

Hey Chris and gang, I'm counting the hours till the marathon on Sunday and going crazy with nervous energy.  I wen't for my last interval run today at the track which might not have been such a good idea.  I actually felt tired and developed a pain in my hip which was not there before.   But this is what I trained for, so I'm ready to go give it my best!

Chris, how is your recovery from your marathon going?  

2011-10-06 7:33 AM
in reply to: #3713185

User image

Maple Grove, MN
sirgab - 2011-10-05 10:57 PM

Chris, how is your recovery from your marathon going?  

Recovery going fine. Very hard to walk on Sunday all day after race. Legs very achey. Monday much better. Could walk on monday with no visible difficulty. Still sore but an observer wouldn't see it. Swam on Tuesday and ran three slow miles yesterday. Still a bit of soreness, but no big deal. Overall, body came out pretty well. Still have my toenails, no blisters, minor chafing only, (no bloody nipples!), and no injuries.

I would say to make sure to do some preventative measures regarding chafing. Vaseline is your friend.
2011-10-06 8:15 AM
in reply to: #3713095

User image

Master
Dallas

older2533 - 2011-10-05 9:22 PM Gabe, Talk to us! What's up? How is the taper going? Ernesto, Still not swimming?

I'm swimming tonight. Couldn't go on Tuesday as I planned but trust me, it is not going in the backburner.

About the chafing, vaseline is ok but Body Glide is ten times better. You should pay special attention to that, the colder the weather the worst the chafing.

2011-10-06 9:47 AM
in reply to: #3713396

User image

Master
ernestov - 2011-10-06 8:15 AM

older2533 - 2011-10-05 9:22 PM Gabe, Talk to us! What's up? How is the taper going? Ernesto, Still not swimming?

I'm swimming tonight. Couldn't go on Tuesday as I planned but trust me, it is not going in the backburner.

About the chafing, vaseline is ok but Body Glide is ten times better. You should pay special attention to that, the colder the weather the worst the chafing.

Agreed - never used to wear body glide except in races - however, after last Sundays run I had chafing and din't realize until the water from the shower hit the area - ouch.  Lessons learned.

2011-10-06 4:14 PM

User image

Master

Looking for feedback/guidance:

Yesterday afternoon - out of the blue - I began experiencing soreness in my right groin muscle/tendon.  It was late in the day and hadn't done anything to my knowledge to aggravate it.  I haven't done anything but run in the last week (i.e. no basketball, volleyball, sports where starting and stopping and changing directions).  Its still sore/tight.  I tried stretching a bit last night but it didn't help much.  I jogged around a bit at my daughters soccer practice last night (I am coach) and didn't bother me or seem to make it worse.

I was thinking of going for a run tonight to see if it would loosen up?  I have 1.5 weeks to my half marathon.  Thoughts?  Anyone ever experience something out of the blue like this?

2011-10-06 6:39 PM
in reply to: #3714200

User image

Master
Dallas
dangremond - 2011-10-06 4:14 PM

Yesterday afternoon - out of the blue - I began experiencing soreness in my right groin muscle/tendon.  It was late in the day and hadn't done anything to my knowledge to aggravate it.  I haven't done anything but run in the last week (i.e. no basketball, volleyball, sports where starting and stopping and changing directions).  Its still sore/tight.  I tried stretching a bit last night but it didn't help much.  I jogged around a bit at my daughters soccer practice last night (I am coach) and didn't bother me or seem to make it worse.

I was thinking of going for a run tonight to see if it would loosen up?  I have 1.5 weeks to my half marathon.  Thoughts?  Anyone ever experience something out of the blue like this?

Try some icing and wait until Sunday to run again. That has happened to me a couple times.

2011-10-06 7:07 PM

El Paso

Chris, great job on the marathon.  Wow, I hate it when they stick those hills in at the wrong place.

Today was recovery day.  I slept late, had a deep tissue massage and took a nap. My mentor says I get stronger during recovery Innocent My calves and ankles still hurt.  And my left knee hurts just to the left of the kneecap.  I iced it yesterday.  Tonight I'm doing the epsom salts bath.  Now I'm going to recovery walk around Town Lake with no Garmin!

Chris, I owe you pics from Austin and Rockwall.  I'll get to them this week, I promise.

I'm pondering what to train for next.  Half marathon, another Olympic, half-iron, or back to sprints . . .  Any suggestions?

Hey Jakie !!! Congratulations !!!  A medal !!  no limit for you ..

Sorry for the absence but after the race last week my wife convince me to go on a massive road trip, Gran Canyon Vegas, etc,.. my race suck big time, the swim was a catastrophe, I post the race report later on  

2011-10-06 9:47 PM
in reply to: #3714324

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
ernestov - 2011-10-06 6:39 PM

Try some icing and wait until Sunday to run again. That has happened to me a couple times.

That's happened to me when I've run on an uneven surface, like the side of a road instead of the middle.

2011-10-06 9:54 PM
in reply to: #3711748

User image

Expert
ernestov - 2011-10-04 9:54 PM

Well, the fall season is ideal for running, take on a half and prepare for it in the upcoming weeks... You have great choices, the biggest one being White Rock in Dallas (December) or Austin in February (hilly) or the 3M half in Austin (all downhill, point to point race) during January.

OK, half marathon it is.  Can I be ready by 11/13 for the flat San Antonio Rock n Roll?  What do I need to do?

2011-10-07 7:53 AM
in reply to: #3714460

User image

Master
jdiis - 2011-10-06 9:54 PM

OK, half marathon it is.  Can I be ready by 11/13 for the flat San Antonio Rock n Roll?  What do I need to do?

I would imagine you could be!  Have you looked at any of the half marathon plans on line to see if you could jump into them at the 5 weeks until race point?  The Higdon plan for your first HM (http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm) seems like it might work?  Ernesto, what's your thoughts?

2011-10-07 8:02 AM
in reply to: #3714457

User image

Master
jdiis - 2011-10-06 9:47 PM

That's happened to me when I've run on an uneven surface, like the side of a road instead of the middle.

Interesting - I hadn't thought of that, I'm usually on sidewalks but jogging my memory to see if any long stretches seemed uneven.  I did strike a large branch with my right foot last weekend, wonder if I did it then and it took a few days to show up.  Regardless, thanks for the feedback.

Ernesto - thanks for reminding me to ice.  I had already ran last night before I saw your suggestion.  On of those fun runs where my girls bike and run along.  It was later so they got to ride in dark.  I iced it after and took some ibuprofen.  Feels better today but will do more of the same.  Thank you! 

Quick Question - what have you typically done the week of your Half Marathon's from a running / rest perspective?  I'm open to all thoughts here.  My plan calls for the following:

Sat - 3 mile pace (likely skip to let groin settle)

Sun - 2 hr run easy (will keep pace no faster than 9:30)

Mon - Rest

Tues - Run 4 easy

Wed - 30 min tempo (10 min WU, 10 min not quite at 10k pace, 10 min CD)

Thurs - Run 3 easy

Fri - Rest

Sat - Rest

Sun - Race Day

2011-10-07 8:03 AM
in reply to: #3714460

User image

Master
Dallas
jdiis - 2011-10-06 9:54 PM

If you want to go fast, do at least 8 weeks of training. Pick one off the bunch and I'll help you find a nice plan.
2011-10-07 8:07 AM
in reply to: #3714753

User image

Master
Dallas
dangremond - 2011-10-07 8:02 AM
jdiis - 2011-10-06 9:47 PM

Interesting - I hadn't thought of that, I'm usually on sidewalks but jogging my memory to see if any long stretches seemed uneven.  I did strike a large branch with my right foot last weekend, wonder if I did it then and it took a few days to show up.  Regardless, thanks for the feedback.

Ernesto - thanks for reminding me to ice.  I had already ran last night before I saw your suggestion.  On of those fun runs where my girls bike and run along.  It was later so they got to ride in dark.  I iced it after and took some ibuprofen.  Feels better today but will do more of the same.  Thank you! 

Quick Question - what have you typically done the week of your Half Marathon's from a running / rest perspective?  I'm open to all thoughts here.  My plan calls for the following:

Sat - 3 mile pace (likely skip to let groin settle)

Sun - 2 hr run easy (will keep pace no faster than 9:30)

Mon - Rest

Tues - Run 4 easy

Wed - 30 min tempo (10 min WU, 10 min not quite at 10k pace, 10 min CD)

Thurs - Run 3 easy

Fri - Rest

Sat - Rest

Sun - Race Day

Your 2 hour run on the previous Sunday is WAAAAY too much. If you think you don't have the right base, the last week is not the right time to go look for it. Also, two days of nothing before the race is too much inactivity, you can do some strides on Friday on the track and try some speed, just keep the whole session shorter than 2.5 miles. The day before just kick back and relax...
2011-10-07 10:38 AM

User image

Master

Ernesto:

Thanks for the HM feedback.  I've been following a mash up between the Higdon Intermediate and Advanced Half Mary plans.  Basically scaled back the intensity but kept some of the length on the weekend long runs (the last two weeks in Higdon were 2:00 runs, his intermediate plan has last run at 12 miles).  What do you prescribe for the next week.  I agree that there is no way to add base the week before and I'm not trying to.  Looking at Hanson's HM plan as I type and the last long run is 8 miles?  Is this what you had in mind?  Did the rest of the last week I have planned seem okay with the exception of a little something on Friday?

-Mitch

2011-10-08 4:45 PM

User image

Expert
Guatemala

Hello amigos,

I arrived late last night in Chicago and was able to get a nice easy run today morning on the lake shore.  I just came out from picking up my runners packet at the Expo and the energy level here is great!  Although the weather is a little bit on the warmer side of what we could had hoped, it still should be a great race and I'm totally excited about it.  Will let you know tomorrow how it goes!

Barry, are you still volunteering for the marathon and do you know where?  I had a shirt made for the group of Guatemalans running the race (we are over 100, but 70 with the same shirt) and I'm trying to upload a picture here in the off-case you can see me :-

2011-10-08 5:09 PM

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Gabe,

What's your bib number? They may have online tracking. (twin cities did. That is how my wife saw how I was doing.)

2011-10-08 6:01 PM
in reply to: #3716378

User image

Expert
Good luck Gabe! You did the training, so count it all good.  We'll be cheering for you. 
2011-10-08 6:09 PM
in reply to: #3716390

User image

Expert
Guatemala

older2533 - 2011-10-08 4:09 PM Gabe, What's your bib number? They may have online tracking. (twin cities did. That is how my wife saw how I was doing.)

Chris, mi bib # is 11212 and here is a link where you can subscribe to track the progress of the runners  (or you can send me your cel# and I can add you to the alerts)  https://tadpole.textingforward.com/bacm/   

Are you all recovered now and ready for the next big race :-)

2011-10-08 6:12 PM
in reply to: #3716434

User image

Expert
Guatemala

jdiis - 2011-10-08 5:01 PM Good luck Gabe! You did the training, so count it all good.  We'll be cheering for you. 

Thank you Jackie (our most recent medalist!)  We still want to see a picture of you with the medal!

2011-10-08 6:15 PM
in reply to: #3716439

User image

Maple Grove, MN
sirgab - 2011-10-08 6:09 PM

Are you all recovered now and ready for the next big race :-)

I'm doing fine. Have a great race!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 84