Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 67

2011-08-28 2:18 PM
in reply to: #3660715

User image

Subject: RE: Informal poll
thor67 - 2011-08-26 10:52 AM

Okay,

1-Will you be back next year doing triathlons?

2-What distance will be your focus?

3-What are you going to work on over the winter?

4-What is your must have purchase(s) for next year?

1-Yes

2-Olympic-that being said I want to repeat my first 2 races to see if there is any noticeable improvement

3-BIKING and Running. I hate people passing me! Smile

4-Cycle trainer-see 3

1.  Yes!!!!

2.  Start with the Sprints, but depending on how my winter training and swimming goes I'd really like to up the distance to an Oly.  The run and bike don't bother me but the swim will be the determining factor.

3.  All 3, but with the major focus being my swim.  The Master's class is lined up!

4.  Road bike with aero bars Cool

Linda

2011-08-29 9:42 AM
in reply to: #3662806

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Subject: RE: Shellback1998 Group - FULL
tashia153 - 2011-08-28 1:12 PM

Back from the Alaskan cruise and in Seattle.  Outside of alittle running I took the majority of the week off, but did tons of hiking and it was hilly, great views, wow.  Also, made my husband take the stairs on-board the ship everywhere....gotta burn off some of those calories.  My quads were sore for the first 4 days.  So back to MN tomorrow morning and actually looking forward to getting back to training.  Will starting with building my base and doing some 5K's.

It was fun to read the posts on what I missed during the week and my opinion is that you guys should ALL shave your legs!!!  Seriously, it's a hot look for a man honest, just look at those bikers in the Tour....Laughing  This could be a real male bonding experience for y'all.

Linda

Sounds like you had a great Holiday! did you stop in at Prince Rupert?

As far as the leg shaving...well, I am sure speedos look good on divers too but that doesn't mean I am putting one on...Surprised

2011-08-29 10:02 AM
in reply to: #3660921

Regular

Will you be back next year doing triathlons?

Hopefully I'll be able to get some in.  We are going to try and start a family after the wedding in September, so I may be pregnant during the race season.  If I'm not though, I am going to complete my first Oly in June and then hopefully build up for a 70.3 in late summer.  We'll see...

My swimming and joining a master's swim group.  I went a little bit backwards with my swim times on the last tri, so really hoping to amp that up.

Definitely aero bars 

2011-08-29 10:18 AM
in reply to: #3439366

Regular

Race Report - Maple Grove Triathlon

Got great sleep the night before, woke up a few times because I was afraid of oversleeping...  But got up and we made it over to the race site.  Arrived at 5 am, breifing was at 7 am and my wave started at 8:21.

Swim: I did poor, I am not sure what happened here but I was swimming at  a slower pace.  I should have swam it about 1:30 quicker than I had. 

T1: there was a pretty decent run from the beach to the transition area, but I made it through there and got on the bike at the same moment as my best friend (Ruby).  So at this point in the race we were neck and neck.  The only difficult thing was I had the wrong socks out, so I had to go in my bag and find a different pair.  That definitely ate up some of my time.

Bike: I averaged three miples per hour quicker than my last race.  I felt strong on the bike and it was a relatively flat course.  My chain did not fall off like it did with the last race, success!   Ruby and I rode with each other.  We'd pass one another and it was really nice because we were definitely pushing each other.  What was even better was we had someone to talk to and give crap to!

T2: Good, changed shoes and started to put my race belt on, but realized it was broken, so I ended up just tying my belt. 

Run: The first 100 meters is a steep incline which was absolutely horrible, I heard  so many profanities about that hill when climbing it.  It sucked.  The run was not flat, there were rolling hills (seemed more uphill than downhill) and it was challenging.  I did well though and was able to run almost at my 10 min/mile goal pace. 

Finish - they had a ramp that went up to this big circular finish line.  It was a really short ramp but jeez, that was a little cruel.

Overall I am ok with the results of the race.  I have slacked in my training over the past month and a half and didn't put in the brick time that I should have.  My legs had a difficult time with the bike to run transition.  Even though I slacked off a bit, I still put in a significant amount of training time (8-10 hours a week) but could have improved if I bumped that up by a few more hours. 

Swim: 14:25

T1: 2:04

Bike: 46:09

T2: 1:41

Run: 30:58

Overall: 1:35:15

Overall - 87 out of 206 females

20 out of 24 in the F3034 age group

Oh, I have to say my friend, Ruby, just delivered her second child on July 21.  She did amazing - 1:32:55 - she beat her last year's race time by almost two minutes!  She was 16 out of 45 in the F3034 age group.

2011-08-29 10:24 AM
in reply to: #3663709

User image

thor67 - 2011-08-29 9:42 AM
tashia153 - 2011-08-28 1:12 PM

Back from the Alaskan cruise and in Seattle.  Outside of alittle running I took the majority of the week off, but did tons of hiking and it was hilly, great views, wow.  Also, made my husband take the stairs on-board the ship everywhere....gotta burn off some of those calories.  My quads were sore for the first 4 days.  So back to MN tomorrow morning and actually looking forward to getting back to training.  Will starting with building my base and doing some 5K's.

It was fun to read the posts on what I missed during the week and my opinion is that you guys should ALL shave your legs!!!  Seriously, it's a hot look for a man honest, just look at those bikers in the Tour....Laughing  This could be a real male bonding experience for y'all.

Linda

Sounds like you had a great Holiday! did you stop in at Prince Rupert?

As far as the leg shaving...well, I am sure speedos look good on divers too but that doesn't mean I am putting one on...Surprised

We crossed the border by Fraser by the Yukon.  The only Canadian Mounties were the ones in the photos, darn!  And then spent an evening in Victoria.  We went hiking every chance we got and avoided the jewelry stores, which I think was 60% of the shopping. Would rather spend our money on sporting goods not diamonds!  Still think y'all should think about shaving the legs and NO ONE looks good in a speedo!!!! well except for Greg Louganis.

L.

2011-08-29 10:56 AM
in reply to: #3663770

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
jenajoy22 - 2011-08-29 9:18 AM

Got great sleep the night before, woke up a few times because I was afraid of oversleeping...  But got up and we made it over to the race site.  Arrived at 5 am, breifing was at 7 am and my wave started at 8:21.

Swim: I did poor, I am not sure what happened here but I was swimming at  a slower pace.  I should have swam it about 1:30 quicker than I had. 

T1: there was a pretty decent run from the beach to the transition area, but I made it through there and got on the bike at the same moment as my best friend (Ruby).  So at this point in the race we were neck and neck.  The only difficult thing was I had the wrong socks out, so I had to go in my bag and find a different pair.  That definitely ate up some of my time.

Bike: I averaged three miples per hour quicker than my last race.  I felt strong on the bike and it was a relatively flat course.  My chain did not fall off like it did with the last race, success!   Ruby and I rode with each other.  We'd pass one another and it was really nice because we were definitely pushing each other.  What was even better was we had someone to talk to and give crap to!

T2: Good, changed shoes and started to put my race belt on, but realized it was broken, so I ended up just tying my belt. 

Run: The first 100 meters is a steep incline which was absolutely horrible, I heard  so many profanities about that hill when climbing it.  It sucked.  The run was not flat, there were rolling hills (seemed more uphill than downhill) and it was challenging.  I did well though and was able to run almost at my 10 min/mile goal pace. 

Finish - they had a ramp that went up to this big circular finish line.  It was a really short ramp but jeez, that was a little cruel.

Overall I am ok with the results of the race.  I have slacked in my training over the past month and a half and didn't put in the brick time that I should have.  My legs had a difficult time with the bike to run transition.  Even though I slacked off a bit, I still put in a significant amount of training time (8-10 hours a week) but could have improved if I bumped that up by a few more hours. 

Oh, I have to say my friend, Ruby, just delivered her second child on July 21.  She did amazing - 1:32:55 - she beat her last year's race time by almost two minutes!  She was 16 out of 45 in the F3034 age group.

Great job on the race Jena! So many variables in a race it is sometimes tough to figure out how a person is doing! 

Gotta hate those hilly runs! I feel your pain!

2011-08-29 11:28 AM

User image

Expert

Great job on the race Jen and congrats on starting the family.

Glad you had fun on the cruise Linda.

So I ran 13.1 miles this morning for the first time since 3/20 when I did a half marathon. I've done tons of training runs in the 9-12 range but never 13 since then. For comparison:

Total Time   Pace   Avg    HR        Ascended
March1:59:56 9:09/mile157177
Today2:01:41 9:16/mile146203

Time in zones

Z1     Z2     Z3              Z4       Z5
March 0:00:320:16:031:01:270:21:260:23:22
Today0:04:361:10:180:55:200:04:320:00:00

The only reason I spent so much time in zone 4 today which I never do on training runs was because my course started uphill and it was too dark to see my garmin display or I would have pulled it back. About 90% of my zone 3 time was in the lower range of 147-153 as well.

Fun to see the hard work and discipline pay off.

2011-08-29 12:18 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
jenajoy22 - 2011-08-29 8:18 AM

Nice race Jen!  Seeing you had alot of distractions lately, being able to finish where you did is still pretty damn good! =)

2011-08-29 12:27 PM
in reply to: #3663949

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA

everlong - 2011-08-29 9:28 AM

The only reason I spent so much time in zone 4 today which I never do on training runs was because my course started uphill and it was too dark to see my garmin display or I would have pulled it back. About 90% of my zone 3 time was in the lower range of 147-153 as well.

Nice numbers there Scott!  I ran a 10K with a runner's group last Saturday morning at and I noticed their paces were different among all of them.  I placed myself in the 10th spot out of 30 runners and kept a good conversational pace.  I saw my HR creep up to high Z3 on the hilly parts but kept a low to mid Z3 pace everywhere else. 

I did my best to focus on negative splits but it was difficult due to the changes in terrain so I just focused on RPE, HR pace, and form.  I can tell the time in the saddle and sprint interval training helped as I never ran that distance before.  I did not feel jellylegs after each climb and sprinting the last quarter mile.  Yay!

2011-08-29 8:03 PM

OH YEAH!!!

Olympic -- gotta run more 10k's

Running a half marathon, swimming, and getting a bike trainer

bike trainer. Mizuno's

2011-08-30 12:19 AM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA

Did a long bike workout today (~27miles) and finished again in the dark.  Near the end of the route was a 5% climb that went for about 5 miles and that's when it started getting dark.  I was stubborn about keeping my Oakleys on because they have prescriptions on them.  As I approached the death hill 9.1% grade segment, another cyclist caught up to me and we both kept the same pace.  However, it looked like he had a triple cuz his cadence was notably higher by about 3-5rpm. 

When we started ascending on that death hill segment he started pulling away little by little and halfway through it, he clicked into another gear and he was GONE.  Just like that!  Wow!  I was amazed cuz I didn't see him anywhere when I got to the apex.  I'm sure glad that segment was only 0.33miles long but a hard one cuz I don't have a triple on my bike.   I'm proud of myself because I did no standing or switching.  On the descent, I used the nearby cars' headlights to light my way out of the park to the street lit roads.  Nice ride... I better start thinking about getting started earlier or bring my bike to work and ride in that area as these long rides start increasing distances until the Oly race Oct. 9th.

~Roland

2011-08-30 12:38 AM

User image

jenajoy22 - 2011-08-29 10:18 AM

Way to go Jen.  Wasn't it nice to have an idea of what to expect since it was your second tri?  Also, congratulations on the engagement.....I want to see the wedding pics.

Linda

2011-08-30 7:47 AM
in reply to: #3665156

User image

Expert
kloofyroland - 2011-08-30 1:19 AM

When we started ascending on that death hill segment he started pulling away little by little and halfway through it, he clicked into another gear and he was GONE.  Just like that!  Wow!  I was amazed cuz I didn't see him anywhere when I got to the apex.

Great job on your ride and good discipline not trying to match his speed. This is one of the reasons I'd rather train alone on the bike. It almost always turns into a time trial.

Swam 2500 in masters today. It's still taking a 1000 yards just to get loose.

2011-08-30 10:45 AM
in reply to: #3665291

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
everlong - 2011-08-30 5:47 AM
kloofyroland - 2011-08-30 1:19 AM

When we started ascending on that death hill segment he started pulling away little by little and halfway through it, he clicked into another gear and he was GONE.  Just like that!  Wow!  I was amazed cuz I didn't see him anywhere when I got to the apex.

Great job on your ride and good discipline not trying to match his speed. This is one of the reasons I'd rather train alone on the bike. It almost always turns into a time trial.

Swam 2500 in masters today. It's still taking a 1000 yards just to get loose.

Thanks!  You're body is still healing eh?  2500 is still alot! =)

I almost forgot to mention, as I was climbing that hill my left big toe area started getting numb again but it wasn't so bad.  It also happened a week ago but it was worse then, I didn't do body shifting or movements every 15 minutes that time consistently.  I attribute the numbness to pedaling incorrectly again.  However, my left arm started getting numb as well... from my left elbow to my hand.  Has that happened to you Scott or anyone else in our forum group?

2011-08-30 12:37 PM
in reply to: #3665655

User image

Expert
kloofyroland - 2011-08-30 11:45 AM

Thanks!  You're body is still healing eh?  2500 is still alot! =)

I almost forgot to mention, as I was climbing that hill my left big toe area started getting numb again but it wasn't so bad.  It also happened a week ago but it was worse then, I didn't do body shifting or movements every 15 minutes that time consistently.  I attribute the numbness to pedaling incorrectly again.  However, my left arm started getting numb as well... from my left elbow to my hand.  Has that happened to you Scott or anyone else in our forum group?

2500 is a respectable distance but normally it's 50 minutes if I'm doing drills and intervals. It was 62 minutes today. Also normally I'm in the 3500 range for yardage.

On the numbness try not tightening your cycling shoes as tight as a first step. Definitely concentrate on keeping your feet flat through the entire stoke. If none of this works you can look at getting your position changed. Where you fitted for your bike? 

2011-08-30 1:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Welllll, went for a short bike this morning for about 40minutes, did a 10k yesterday...final triathlon of the year Monday Sept. 6, a sprint.

I am debating whether or not to wear wetsuit. Water is cold but thinking of trying a sprint without to see if I can really rip the swim and save time in the transition. Might try a test swim on Saturday. If the weather sucks then I probably go with the wetsuit for sure!

2011-08-30 3:57 PM
in reply to: #3665857

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
everlong - 2011-08-30 10:37 AM

2500 is a respectable distance but normally it's 50 minutes if I'm doing drills and intervals. It was 62 minutes today. Also normally I'm in the 3500 range for yardage.

On the numbness try not tightening your cycling shoes as tight as a first step. Definitely concentrate on keeping your feet flat through the entire stoke. If none of this works you can look at getting your position changed. Where you fitted for your bike? 

Yeah, I wasn't pedaling in 360 degree fashion.  Bike fit is good, I may need to get rechecked for some really minor adjustments.  What are your thoughts about a numbing left arm and hand?  Am I gripping the hoods too tightly?

2011-08-30 3:59 PM
in reply to: #3665987

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
thor67 - 2011-08-30 11:41 AM

Welllll, went for a short bike this morning for about 40minutes, did a 10k yesterday...final triathlon of the year Monday Sept. 6, a sprint.

I am debating whether or not to wear wetsuit. Water is cold but thinking of trying a sprint without to see if I can really rip the swim and save time in the transition. Might try a test swim on Saturday. If the weather sucks then I probably go with the wetsuit for sure!

If you're gonna do the sprint for fun then yeah, try w/o the wetsuit but if you wanna kill it, I say wear the wetsuit because it will reduce drag.  Try wearing the timing chip beneath the suit like those guys you saw last tri.  I know I am hehe =)

2011-08-30 8:00 PM
in reply to: #3666349

User image

Expert

kloofyroland - 2011-08-30 4:57 PM
Yeah, I wasn't pedaling in 360 degree fashion.  Bike fit is good, I may need to get rechecked for some really minor adjustments.  What are your thoughts about a numbing left arm and hand?  Am I gripping the hoods too tightly?

I have the same issue with the left hand although it's mostly my pinky and down into the fifth metacarpal. I think the reason I get it is because I shift more with my right hand, rear gears, and keep my hand close to the shifter. Because of this I put more weight on my left forearm and elbow than my right. I've been trying to think about it and not do it but it's a tough habit to break.

Maybe you do the same?

2011-08-30 8:05 PM
in reply to: #3662806

User image

Expert
tashia153 - 2011-08-28 3:12 PM

Linda

Negative

2011-08-30 8:06 PM
in reply to: #3663741

User image

Expert
jenajoy22 - 2011-08-29 11:02 AM

Will you be back next year doing triathlons?

Hopefully I'll be able to get some in.  We are going to try and start a family after the wedding in September, so I may be pregnant during the race season.  If I'm not though, I am going to complete my first Oly in June and then hopefully build up for a 70.3 in late summer.  We'll see...

My swimming and joining a master's swim group.  I went a little bit backwards with my swim times on the last tri, so really hoping to amp that up.

Definitely aero bars 

Definitely a good idea!

2011-08-30 8:07 PM

User image

Expert
jenajoy22 - 2011-08-29 11:18 AM

Great job on the race... Don't slack off... Remember to get some runs in... Continue to do spinning class

2011-08-30 8:08 PM
in reply to: #3663949

User image

Expert
everlong - 2011-08-29 12:28 PM

Great job on the race Jen and congrats on starting the family.

Glad you had fun on the cruise Linda.

So I ran 13.1 miles this morning for the first time since 3/20 when I did a half marathon. I've done tons of training runs in the 9-12 range but never 13 since then. For comparison:

Total Time   Pace   Avg    HR        Ascended
March1:59:56 9:09/mile157177
Today2:01:41 9:16/mile146203

Time in zones

Z1     Z2     Z3              Z4       Z5
March 0:00:320:16:031:01:270:21:260:23:22
Today0:04:361:10:180:55:200:04:320:00:00

Great job... Heat also made your HR inflate as well..

2011-08-30 8:09 PM
in reply to: #3664979

User image

Expert
charminchick - 2011-08-29 9:03 PM

OH YEAH!!!

Olympic -- gotta run more 10k's

Running a half marathon, swimming, and getting a bike trainer

bike trainer. Mizuno's

good goals

2011-08-30 8:11 PM
in reply to: #3666349

User image

Expert
kloofyroland - 2011-08-30 4:57 PM
everlong - 2011-08-30 10:37 AM

how tight are you holding the hoods?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Shellback1998 Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 67