of 24

2009-01-07 2:54 PM
in reply to: #1892618

User image

Regular
Kailua, HI
Subject: RE: PLMsbr (JD) Group - FULL
shawnawrites - 2009-01-07 9:14 AM

When you start training...is it a must to take a break...if so how often? What I have heard is with strength training it should be done every other day. Yet, another source says to come in daily. Should a person never muscle train two days in a row?

I did run/walk/run/walk like this website suggested. It was great. I also took another strength training class...and unfortunatley the instructor I said I didn't like...well she taught it. The weirder part is she said we should drink water...I think she took some training classes. She was pretty good this time. Some things were challenging but, most were okay...and she still is really out of stamina...I am thinking she went for some training specialties and is getting better. Last, I did swim. I know I will never swim like all of you...my swimming abilities are not competitive...lol. So, that was my day today. I just am wondering if I should take breaks in between...I was originally told 2 years ago to take one day a week off. Now some say every other...so your muscles can recooperate...so you bring them to a burn, then heal, then burn, etc every other day. Cardio should be done every day (running)...but last another person said... work out, run, strength, etc as much as you can...especially when you are trying to train. I would like to know what tri people say.

Wow...  I thought I had read all sorts of crazy advice.  You've heard a lot, Shawna.  I hope you don't mind some thoughts from a relative newbie.  I read a lot of this stuff last year when I started trying to train and I think it's a very individual decision.  It depends on what you've done before and how often and intense you're working out now. 

I started by scheduling at least one day off a week.  I tried to get in something each of the other days of the week, but I let myself 'crosstrain' whenever I wanted to do something else.  So if I was supposed to run, but my friends were playing basketball and I wanted to play, no problem.  If you want to go run psycho-dog instead of jumping on the rowing machine, go for it. One week out of the month I reduced the training I was doing to recover and spend more time with my wife (or her honey-do list at the very least). 

All of this should change based on how you're feeling physically and mentally.  If you feel great, work out that 7th day of the week or keep your recovery week a little shorter.  If you feel like you need a day off, you probably do.  I got through last year and I'm more motivated and feel great this year.

As for when to do what, creating a schedule at the beginning of every week has really helped me.  I know what three sports I need to spend most of my time on, so I've decided I'm doing x number of swims, y rides, and z runs.  I generally don't do one thing more than two days in a row, so I mix and match until I get most of what I want on the schedule with some planned flexibility.

And one last thought in this long blog.  The more you progress into endurance training, the more you want to focus on the activity you're training for.  However, early on any fitness will help, including weight training.  It's very reasonable to lift weights two or three times a week if you enjoy that.  I think you have to have a base level of endurance time every week, but then you should do what you enjoy and keeps you healthy and coming back.

Finally, don't sell yourself short catching up on the swimming.  Have you seen how long it takes me to swim a lap?!  I'm glad your husband is joining you at the gym.  I bet you have a lot to do with that.  I hope others chime in with their thoughts now to set you straight...

Will

Edited by triscruggs 2009-01-07 3:19 PM

2009-01-07 3:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
TX

Will - great comments. And I really encourage everyone to share their opinions. I don't pretend to have all the answers, all I can claim is a little more time trying things out; and even then what works for me may not work for everyone. Even the big-time coaches don't agree on a lot of stuff!

Shawna - here are my thoughts on your last couple of posts:

<style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";}

OK, I must admit that I do love Biggest Loser; and the new season looks like a good group. What I love is seeing people really change their lives, although a number of them end up backtracking after the show.

Anyway, in terms of taking breaks... I’ll start with the weight/strength training. The key there is that you don’t want to work out the same muscle group every day, you want to give that muscle group a day to recover. You are actually breaking down the muscle tissue when you do hard strength training, and the rest day is where the rebuilding process occurs. But you could do legs one day, upper body the next, or similar. Oh, and always try to work your largest muscle groups first, if possible.

For triathlon, very similar issue. You need to allow time for your muscles to recover and rebuild. However, now you have three sports to try to balance and fit in. Recovery depends a lot on the actual workout you are doing. The harder/more intense the workout, the more recovery you need. True swimmers seem to do fine swimming just about every day, probably due to the fact that there is very little impact to the body. However, they build up to that over time, and even then they have to watch for shoulder problems and injuries. Running is hard on the body, lots of impact, so you need to make sure and have recovery time; again dependent on how hard the workout is, how much base you have, etc. I run 4x/week normally, and try to get in a 5th run when I need more mileage for marathon or full IM. I am careful about which runs end up being back to back. For instance, I would not do interval training the day after a very long run. Biking is not real high impact either, so you can do that fairly frequently; paying attention again to which workouts you may end up scheduling back to back.

Never just “do as much as you can” without considering the recovery factor; or you will end up frustrated with a lack of progress, and possibly injured. If you are doing shorter races, you don’t need as much mileage; and you can build in more rest/recovery. The longer races require mileage where it is hard to really have a full day off, or not do some exercises back to back. What you will see in a lot of plans (and what I do) is a week where you back down on the mileage, usually about every 3rd or 4th week. Same concept as the taper for a race, you are allowing your body to recover and build; so you come back stronger. Lots of paranoia out there (in my opinion) where people are overly fearful that a lighter week or even a day off (heaven forbid!) will destroy their training; but I just plain have not seen that in real life. I did an 8 day trip to Haiti a couple years ago where I could do no workouts for that entire time, and when I came back I went right back to training where I had left off, and had one of my best ½ IM’s about a month later.

So, am I driving you guys nuts with all these long and “it depends” answers?

Edited by PLMsbr 2009-01-07 3:42 PM
2009-01-07 4:55 PM
in reply to: #1857266

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I did my first HIM at the end of September 08 and my first marathon is in January 09 so thats like 3 1/2 months between. It took me about 5 days to recover from the HIM took the next week lite and then started to emphasize run in my workouts. It was really about 1 week ago that I felt confident that I could finish it well (we will see if that is an accurate feeling or not in 12 days). Just my path so far for comparison.

I figured out lastnight (a bit slow here) that my treadmill needs more lubrication and I am out. So no dreadmill until I get more lubricant in the mail. That was probably contributing towards foot discomfort on the runs. Hopefuly that was the real problem. Commmmon more dailight I am gona be needing some.

I hate that muscles that gave you no problem in the build phase bug you in the taper phase... kinda makes you worry for the last week or 2 before an event. I know it is just stuff healing, but it always makes me a little worried.

2009-01-07 10:36 PM
in reply to: #1891667

User image

Veteran
Boise, ID
Subject: RE: PLMsbr (JD) Group - OPEN
triscruggs - 2009-01-07 8:44 AM

Tom,

ED nurse and working the night shift?  Probably 12 hour shifts, too...  You're nuts!  I'm an ED doc working primarily nights.  I'm moving to more of a standard work-any-shift schedule because I can't hack the regular nights and training.  How are you coping as a night shift athlete?

Will

Will...actually I work 10hr shifts from 230p-1a. The shift works out great. I'm home and in bed or asleep by 2am, get up 8-830, and have the whole morning to work out or do whatever. Then I eat lunch with my wife and I'm off to work at 2. And I only have to do it 4 days/wk. On my days off I'll have to do some training in the afternoon since the Boise HIM starts at 2pm. I've been doing all of my riding,running, etc in the a.m. for many years....hope your schedule mellows out......Tom

2009-01-07 11:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Boise, ID
shawnawrites - 2009-01-07 1:14 PM

When you start training...is it a must to take a break...if so how often? What I have heard is with strength training it should be done every other day. Yet, another source says to come in daily. Should a person never muscle train two days in a row?

I did run/walk/run/walk like this website suggested. It was great. I also took another strength training class...and unfortunatley the instructor I said I didn't like...well she taught it. The weirder part is she said we should drink water...I think she took some training classes. She was pretty good this time. Some things were challenging but, most were okay...and she still is really out of stamina...I am thinking she went for some training specialties and is getting better. Last, I did swim. I know I will never swim like all of you...my swimming abilities are not competitive...lol. So, that was my day today. I just am wondering if I should take breaks in between...I was originally told 2 years ago to take one day a week off. Now some say every other...so your muscles can recooperate...so you bring them to a burn, then heal, then burn, etc every other day. Cardio should be done every day (running)...but last another person said... work out, run, strength, etc as much as you can...especially when you are trying to train. I would like to know what tri people say.

Shawna...I'm with you. I won't be much of a competitor in swimming but I'm working real hard on improving. I hope to make up for it in the bike and run....Tom

2009-01-07 11:28 PM
in reply to: #1892658

User image

Veteran
Boise, ID
JD...The Mesa Falls Marithon, Ashton, ID, is Aug 22. So there is 10 weeks in between. I feel like that would be "doable"...........Tom

2009-01-08 10:03 AM

Regular
Lake Forest, CA

Wow, I missed the group for like 2 days, and thier has been so much going on.

I am still trying to figure out how Beowolf has to drive 100 miles to find a pool.  What part of California are you in?  I am guessing somewhere way north, as I have been up there in there before and it's hard to find facilities sometimes.  You are way dedicated, and my hat's off to you. 

I did my first, and only (so far) marathon in October, and although everyone told me not to go out fast, I went out fast and I got crushed.  That's my piece of advice for you.  AT that point, I was able to run 13 in 1:45 or so.  In the race, I ran the first half in 1:51, and had nothing left for the last half.  Right when I hit the 13 mile marker I knew I was screwed.  I could feel my energy dropping way low.  I also didn't fuel properly. 

The two biggest things I would do differently:  Go out slower and fuel before it's too late.

Good luck and I hope you can find a pool closer, that is really brutal having to drive that far to get your swim in.

2009-01-08 6:37 PM
in reply to: #1894088

User image

Extreme Veteran
TX

mtnbkr - 2009-01-07 11:28 PM JD...The Mesa Falls Marithon, Ashton, ID, is Aug 22. So there is 10 weeks in between. I feel like that would be "doable"...........Tom

OK, I did a quick breakdown of roughly how I would structure my long runs between the two events; which you can see below. For the 6/26 run, I might adjust that slightly depending on how recovered I really felt like I was. Then it's gradually increasing the distance; with a bit of a recovery week thrown in for the week ending 7/17. Build back up to at least one 20 miler, then taper. Maybe even make that run two weeks out a little longer, depending on how I was feeling.

For a first marathon, that would probably be enough to get you through it; especially if you really take to heart the advice above about controlling your pace in that first half. Ideally you'd have at least another month to work in a few more long runs, but you have to do what you have to do

Just my two cents...

Sun 6/13/2005 BOISE 70.3
Sat 6/19/2005 short ez run
Sat 6/26/2005 10
Sat 7/3/2005 14
Sat 7/10/2005 16
Sat 7/17/2005 12
Sat 7/24/2005 18
Sat 7/31/2005 20
Sat 8/7/2005 12
Sat 8/14/2005 8
Sun 8/22/2005 MARATHON

2009-01-08 7:48 PM
in reply to: #1896183

User image

Veteran
Boise, ID
PLMsbr - 2009-01-08 6:37 PM

mtnbkr - 2009-01-07 11:28 PM JD...The Mesa Falls Marithon, Ashton, ID, is Aug 22. So there is 10 weeks in between. I feel like that would be "doable"...........Tom

OK, I did a quick breakdown of roughly how I would structure my long runs between the two events; which you can see below. For the 6/26 run, I might adjust that slightly depending on how recovered I really felt like I was. Then it's gradually increasing the distance; with a bit of a recovery week thrown in for the week ending 7/17. Build back up to at least one 20 miler, then taper. Maybe even make that run two weeks out a little longer, depending on how I was feeling.

For a first marathon, that would probably be enough to get you through it; especially if you really take to heart the advice above about controlling your pace in that first half. Ideally you'd have at least another month to work in a few more long runs, but you have to do what you have to do

Just my two cents...

Sun6/13/2005BOISE 70.3
Sat6/19/2005short ez run
Sat6/26/200510
Sat7/3/200514
Sat7/10/200516
Sat7/17/200512
Sat7/24/200518
Sat7/31/200520
Sat8/7/200512
Sat8/14/20058
Sun8/22/2005MARATHON

Thanks JD...I think we all value your "2 cents"...Tom

2009-01-09 4:14 AM
in reply to: #1894009

User image

Regular
Kailua, HI

Tom,

I'll be coming over for that 70.3 in Boise this year.  Any thoughts on where to stay?  I've read there are hotels right near the transition zones.  Is that a fun area of town?

My first half-IM also.  I'm excited about that 2pm start time.  6am in that water didn't sound like a lot of fun.

Thanks for the input,

Will

Edited by triscruggs 2009-01-09 4:24 AM
2009-01-09 4:23 AM
in reply to: #1896800

User image

Regular
Kailua, HI

JD and co.,

Have any of you tried a 'Crash' week like Joe Friel describes in the Training Bible?  After the HIM in Boise I have 5 weeks get ready for a Tinman Tri (800m swim, 26 mi bike, 6 mi run) back here in Honolulu.  I'm planning on a light R&R week after the HIM, then a 'Crash' week, another R&R week, then tapering to the race over the last 2 weeks.. 

The book talks about a Crash week as a super intense week with a fair amount of duration that has to be followed by a recovery week.  Supposedly, it can improve your fitness quite a bit.  I'll be doing a lot of endurance work for the HIM, but not much speed work so I want to crank up the intensity pretty quickly.  

And JD, your two-cents are great.  I appreciate you taking the time to help out.

Will

2009-01-09 9:03 AM

Veteran

JD I appreciate your .02 also...

I have a cycling question.  As noted earlier in the thread I am spending about 3 hours per week cycling; a 30 minute easy ride as a brick following a hard run, a 1 hour hard ride doing 15 minutes of warm up then 30 minutes of intervals (Spinnerval DVD that came with KK trainer workout B) followed by 15 minutes cool down, and finally a 2 hour LSD.  I'm wondering if this is the best way to spend my cycling training time.  Would I be better off doing more of a tempo workout as opposed to the intervals?

I have only been cycling for about 6 months and I know that when it comes to running that most think that it is better to hold off on interval/speed type training and focus on tempo and slow distance until a solid base is built.  Is it the same for cycling?

2009-01-09 10:46 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
That mary plan looks spot on for everything I have read about mary training. I think it is really important to take the 3 week taper and not hit a long run at that 2 week out spot where it feels like maybe you could get away with it. I am sticking with that taper, 21, 12, 8, race. I was tempted to put a long run 2 1/2 weeks out, but I think it is one of those just say no and go in fully recovered kind of things. We spend alot of time in a semi fatigued state and that is fine for shorter events, but for the mary I think you need that extra 10 % of the tank topped off.

As far as nailing a really tough week following a HIM, I would go recover for 1 week (really lite stuff), lite to moderate the following week and then you could probably hit a hard week the 3rd week. For the HIM, do not kill yourself on the bike or that half mary at the end will suck. Also make sure you nail your nutricion on the HIM, if you don't you will run out of gas.

I live in the way NE part of the state, like 200 miles north of Reno, 150 miles east of Redding and 100 miles south of Klamath, Or. The closest pool/McDonalds/Walmart/Stoplight/Home Depot/Sears/etc. is 100 miles away. The government considers our area "unpopulated" with 10,000 people per 100 square miles. I live in the biggest town in the county at a population of 3000.

So ya I am trying to figure out how to get 3 swims of 3000 yards + in per week (read 200 miles driving per swim) for the IM training plan and still get the other workouts in. I could theoretically get a double swim in on a weekend day, but am worried about the recovery time. For example swimming 3000 at 9am and then 3000 at 4pm. I think it would toast me.

2009-01-09 6:57 PM
in reply to: #1897434

Regular
Lake Forest, CA

The driving you have to do might make it worth the double swim day, as you can't be expected to do that 3 times per week.  I'll bet the area is beautiful though, must make for some nice runs and biking routes.

In regards to double days though, I did a 3300 yard swim workout today, and I would not be up for another one today.

2009-01-10 12:35 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Ya I did 4400 yard swim tonight and it kicked my butt. Does the 2.4 mile swim ever get to the point where you don't just plain crawl out of the water? I am still not fully altitude readjusted yet so that probably didn't help.

I dont think a double swim day is duable I will probly just have to do 2 swims of 3000 or so and call it good till spring.

I've been putsing with my workout schedule for post marathon, but will have to see how much recovery time I need.

The pool I found is kind of cool, well it was warm, but the setup is cool. It is a geothermally heated outdoor pool. So the pool was 84F outside and the air was 20F. It was a little odd swimming outside, in freezing temperatures, at night, without much lighting, in warm water, fogging/misting all over the place.

There is ice on the lakes so it does beat the heck out of chizzling a hole to swim in 8).
2009-01-10 12:22 PM
in reply to: #1896808

User image

Extreme Veteran
TX
triscruggs - 2009-01-09 4:23 AM

Have any of you tried a 'Crash' week like Joe Friel describes in the Training Bible?  After the HIM in Boise I have 5 weeks get ready for a Tinman Tri (800m swim, 26 mi bike, 6 mi run) back here in Honolulu.  I'm planning on a light R&R week after the HIM, then a 'Crash' week, another R&R week, then tapering to the race over the last 2 weeks.. 

The book talks about a Crash week as a super intense week with a fair amount of duration that has to be followed by a recovery week.  Supposedly, it can improve your fitness quite a bit.  I'll be doing a lot of endurance work for the HIM, but not much speed work so I want to crank up the intensity pretty quickly. 

I think I'm with Baowulf on this one. A crash week one week removed from a Half IM would be too much too soon. Since the Tinman is essentially an Olympic distance tri with a short swim; the distances should be no problem at all for you. So, I'd be thinking along the same lines as what he said; pretty lite the first week, start building the second; and you can probably have a pretty hard week on that third week. Back off a bit on the 4th week to start the taper, and then a pretty light week leading up to the Tinman. The 3rd and 4th weeks are where you could do some speed training/interval work.

2009-01-10 12:30 PM
in reply to: #1897174

User image

Extreme Veteran
TX
trinity - 2009-01-09 9:03 AM

I have a cycling question.  As noted earlier in the thread I am spending about 3 hours per week cycling; a 30 minute easy ride as a brick following a hard run, a 1 hour hard ride doing 15 minutes of warm up then 30 minutes of intervals (Spinnerval DVD that came with KK trainer workout B) followed by 15 minutes cool down, and finally a 2 hour LSD.  I'm wondering if this is the best way to spend my cycling training time.  Would I be better off doing more of a tempo workout as opposed to the intervals?

I have only been cycling for about 6 months and I know that when it comes to running that most think that it is better to hold off on interval/speed type training and focus on tempo and slow distance until a solid base is built.  Is it the same for cycling?

First off, you're doing great to have any kind of structured training in your first year of triathlon. I was similar to a lot of (most?) people in my first couple years; all I knew was go out and swim/bike/run moderate distances, and hope I did okay on race day

Since you're focused on sprint distance races this year, I think the interval work is probably good to work on your base speed. Maybe you can alternate and do some tempo work every other week... try to sustain a good pace for 15-20 minutes or so. That might help with the actual races, when you will be trying to bike 30 minutes to an hour at a high speed.

2009-01-10 12:43 PM
in reply to: #1899220

User image

Extreme Veteran
TX

Baowolf - 2009-01-10 12:35 AM Ya I did 4400 yard swim tonight and it kicked my butt. Does the 2.4 mile swim ever get to the point where you don't just plain crawl out of the water? I am still not fully altitude readjusted yet so that probably didn't help. I dont think a double swim day is duable I will probly just have to do 2 swims of 3000 or so and call it good till spring. I've been putsing with my workout schedule for post marathon, but will have to see how much recovery time I need. The pool I found is kind of cool, well it was warm, but the setup is cool. It is a geothermally heated outdoor pool. So the pool was 84F outside and the air was 20F. It was a little odd swimming outside, in freezing temperatures, at night, without much lighting, in warm water, fogging/misting all over the place. There is ice on the lakes so it does beat the heck out of chizzling a hole to swim in 8).

The 2.4 mile swim does get easier the more swimming you do, but I think many tend to discount/underestimate the toll it takes as part of an IM. If you can get in 2 solid swims per week until spring, I think you'll be in good shape. I don't think you'd want to model yourself after my IM swim training plan; but I did manage a 1:17 swim at IM FL with 2 swim/week up until 3-4 months from the race. And even then I didn't make that 3rd swim very often. Again, not something I'm holding up as ideal, or even good - but I did finish in a reasonable time (for me); and did not feel overly taxed. I did a lot of open water swimming in that last 3 months, btw; and tried to get in 4000 yds or so at those swims.

This year, for comparison, I started in late November doing 3 sessions/week of over 3000 yards. My goal is not only to cut down a few minutes off the time, but to make sure that I can swim that distance with minimal impact to the rest of the day.

2009-01-10 3:39 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Ya I am pleased that I went from no freestyle skill 6 months ago to simply be able to swim 2.4 miles continuous (2 min per 100 yard ish pace giver or take). But that last .4 miles I am feeling like hrm I think I would like to be done swimming now. This was the first time I have had a big change in elevation and tried to swim that far in the first 10 days. It always takes me 10 days to readjust from sealevel to my 4500 ft home.

The really good news is that our contractor must have completed some projects elsewhere because he has been at our house all week. So hopefully the first part of the plan will be completed in 1-2 weeks which will then allow him to start work on the pool room 3 weeks from now. I have now idea how long that will take, but any step closer is awsome. Then my commute to my swim area will be 10 feet from where I am right now. I really hope he stays with it and doesn't get lost in some other project again. That would totally rock my swim plan, I could get in 3 x 3000 swims soooo much easier.

1 week out from my mary, anyone else have any races coming up? I am thinking of pacing it close to what I did the 21 mile run at around 9:15 ish pace for the first 20 and then see how it all goes from there. In my last run I did 8:40 for 8 miles, settled into a 9:30 for 10 miles and then went up to 9:10 ish for the last 3 miles. I didn't really plan the pace other than to keep my percieved effort where it should be based on breathing rate vs running pace.

It is really odd to have so much free time on a Saturday in taper mode... fixed a door, cleaned the room, watched tv with the kids.. hrm what to do next.

Edited by Baowolf 2009-01-10 3:44 PM
2009-01-10 7:19 PM
in reply to: #1899885

Regular
Lake Forest, CA
I have a HM in 2 weeks, I am not really training specifically for it, mainly I wanted to do one prior to my HIM.  I did a full marathon a few months ago, so I know I can finish it.  As for pacing, I did around those same splits for the first 20, but melted down for the last 6.
2009-01-10 9:04 PM
in reply to: #1900122

User image

Regular
Kailua, HI

Pac10er2 - 2009-01-10 3:19 PM I have a HM in 2 weeks, I am not really training specifically for it, mainly I wanted to do one prior to my HIM.  I did a full marathon a few months ago, so I know I can finish it.  As for pacing, I did around those same splits for the first 20, but melted down for the last 6.

I had the same experience in my first marathon.  I cruised along at 8:45 and when I saw the 20 mile banner, my left arse cramped up and it was a lot of walking after that.  2:55 to 20 miles, then 90 minutes for the last 6 miles.  I think the shot to my pride was more painful than my cramping legs when the 60+ year old Japanese couple jogged past me.  

I made myself take it very easy this last marathon (my second) until that 20 mile mark, then I opened it up a little.  It felt a lot better.  My advice is to enjoy the scenery for the first 20, then go catch some folks if you have anything left.  I looked at your log the other day, Baowolf.  I think you're going to be faster than you expect.

Will

Edited by triscruggs 2009-01-10 9:11 PM

2009-01-10 9:09 PM
in reply to: #1899598

User image

Regular
Kailua, HI

Thanks for the advice on the HIM.  I'll plan on taking that second week easy after the HIM.  It sounds like I'm underestimating how much that's going to take out of me.

What do you all do during your 3-4km swims?  I'm getting stronger and I can probably do that much, but it's all I can do to make myself stay in the pool for an hour.  BORING!!!  I do open water stuff around here too.  That makes it easier aside from jellyfish stings, but people told me a bunch of pool work will really help because you can structure your workouts a little better.  I haven't figured out how to structure my workouts yet to break the monotony.  Do you all mind sharing your pool time activities?

Thanks

Will

Edited by triscruggs 2009-01-10 9:11 PM
2009-01-11 2:49 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I did my first HIM swim at around the pace I swim in the pool/ows, didn't really crank it up any. The bike I started fairly strong but controlled..... then mile 40 to 48 sucked (many many hills), got better 48-56 as the hills lessoned. The run on the HIM was never faster at any point... just that pace that you can go when you are beat. It is reaaaallly important to get enough calories during your HIM or you will bonk. You miss 100 cal here and there and it will bite you at 10 miles into the run.

K I think I may try to shoot for 9:15 min miles from the start and just hold there till 20 miles maybe. Mostly I have been doing my runs by percieve effort and just having my pace go up and down with the effort I am putting into it based on how much energy I have. It is not uber precise, but has been working. I did the same on the 30k trail run, if my breathing got faster than 1 in and out breath for 4 footfalls (2 left 2 right) then I slow it down to keep the breathing regular.

Oh well it will all work out, had my last moderate distance run today 8 miles before church, 20F, got to love that cold weather gear I got for Christmas, I was toasty warm.

Edited by Baowolf 2009-01-11 2:49 PM
2009-01-12 8:23 AM
in reply to: #1900239

User image

Extreme Veteran
TX

Hey there, hope everyone had a good weekend! We are all gonna be really envious of Baowolf once he gets that swimming pool done...

As far as what to do during the extended swims; the only way I've found that I can effectively get through that is to have a very clear plan going in. That is, I have a workout planned out (or planned for me) that is going to get me to the yardage I want. Then I just get to work on the workout, not thinking about time or yardage; but just tackling each piece one at a time. If I go in there only with a total yds goal, I start getting pretty bored after about 2K; and start making excuses for why I don't need to do much more

Masters has given me a few good ways to break it up... starting with a warm up set that can be something like 300 swim; 200 kick; 200 pull. Then maybe some short intervals (25's or 50's); throwing in some drill work. Main set is usually some combo of intervals, I'll list a couple recent ones below. Then some short interval or drill work at the end, and finish it all off with 200 cooldown. The key is that it is broken up into those segments, and you just focus on one segment at a time.

So, here's a few recent main set ideas:

5x100; 4x100, 3x100, 2x100, 100: each set the 100's get slightly faster (good for pacing)

6x400 on a fixed interval (no more than 30 seconds rest)

500, 400, 300, 200, 100: fixed interval that goes down proportional to the distance (e.g. 10 min, 8 min, 6 min, etc.)

JD

2009-01-12 8:32 AM
in reply to: #1900872

User image

Extreme Veteran
TX

In regards to run pacing, my best marathon ever was last year; and I ran with a pace group. I had a choice between running with a pace group that would push me a little faster than I really thought I could do; or pick one that would hit my target time pretty much right on the nose. I chose the latter, and it ended up working great. I just stuck with that steady pace until about mile 17, and then I started pulling away ever so slowly. Ended up finishing just under my goal pace; and felt pretty good the whole race.

Our tendency is to go out too fast the first few miles, so I think that's where you have to watch it the most. The adrenaline, competition, and fresh legs can cause you to go out a minute/mile or more faster than your goal; which catches up with you at the end. I think I mentioned getting a Garmin 305 recently, and really liking the lap pace function. I did a 20 miler on Sunday, and used that to keep my pace under control those first few miles. Ended up very steady, and was actually able to kick the last 1.5 miles pretty strong (for me).

Oh, and my next actual racing event is a duathlon in a couple weeks; should be fun if it isn't freezing cold like last year

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » PLMsbr (JD) Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 24