of 12

2009-01-25 12:39 AM
in reply to: #1927091

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Oregon
Subject: RE: Jeff's Group - CLOSED
gaiaserver - 2009-01-24 2:20 PM

Yikes...thanks for something to aspire to...

IRONVIKING - 2009-01-22 5:21 AM

Here's a little something for you, gang. It's called The Devil's Abs, and it's courtesy of the gomer, a BT'er who's training to be a Navy SEAL. Good luck.

The Devil’s Abs Workout

Do 2 times and you have done 666 abs

40 full sit-ups
40 reverse sit-ups (you bring your knees to elbows)
40 right side oblique sit-ups
40 left side oblique sit-ups
40 crunches
40 leg levers (basically leg lifts, start 6 inches off ground and lift to 38 inches)
53 4-count flutter kicks
40 half sit-ups (come up just so shoulder blades are off the ground and hold for a second)

Remember that the above reps are only 1 time through, and to do the whole workout you have to do it all twice. I've done this a number of times, and honestly, I've yet to do the complete workout. Enjoy!

Well you can start with 10 reps of each exercise and work up. I think I started with that and expanded from there.

2009-01-25 3:58 AM
in reply to: #1926733

IRONVIKING - 2009-01-24 4:24 PM

Lara C - 2009-01-24 5:03 AM Afternoon (at least it is for me!)

Went swimming yesterday and my breathing was just horrible. I couldn't get into a good pattern and felt like I was running out of breath after 50 metres. I wasn't going quickly so I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Also, stll don't think I'm bending my elbow correctly so need to keep working on that one too.

Going for a 5 mile plod a bit later. I've had a bit of a sleep in today Embarassed

Hi Lara,

Ditto on the sleeping in. I'm a bit sluggish this morning too.

I'd like to hear more about your breathing. I sometimes breathe from both sides, ala left right left breathe, right left right breathe. Or, sometimes I'll breathe to the left two strokes in a row, then left right left and breathe two times in a row to the right and repeat. During warmup I breath from both sides. When I start my main set I continue to breathe from both sides until I need more air, then I employ the two to the left and two to the right breathing. If I do some all out effort laps I breathe to the left with every stroke, touch the wall, and breathe to the right with every stroke back. I look at it like I do when I'm running in that a jog or easy run has me breathing in for four strides and out for four. If I pick up the pace I need more air and breathe with  every three, etc. I'm just saying you don't have to get locked in to breathing the same when you're swimming, especially if you need more air.

I've been doing bilateral breathing since my second week of lessons and that bit is fine. However the issue is the actual act of breathing in and out. I feel like I'm more taking a gasp of air rather than breathing in when I lift my head up. However when I run, I tend to just breathe through my mouth too as I've always struggled with breathing in through my nose.

C - btw, easy rule of thumb I was taught re when to run or not was if the cold/cough was in the chest, don't run but if it's just in your head, you *could* be okay... 

2009-01-25 11:07 AM
in reply to: #1927495

New user
Thanks, I think I am coming down with a cold...similar symptoms to others that I have spoken to.  I feel better today...I primarily rested, took vitamin C, zinc, and echinacea yesterday...
2009-01-25 11:12 AM
in reply to: #1927536

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Oregon
Lara C - 2009-01-25 1:58 AM

Went swimming yesterday and my breathing was just horrible. I couldn't get into a good pattern and felt like I was running out of breath after 50 metres. I wasn't going quickly so I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Also, stll don't think I'm bending my elbow correctly so need to keep working on that one too.

Going for a 5 mile plod a bit later. I've had a bit of a sleep in today Embarassed

Hi Lara,

I'd like to hear more about your breathing. I sometimes breathe from both sides, ala left right left breathe, right left right breathe. Or, sometimes I'll breathe to the left two strokes in a row, then left right left and breathe two times in a row to the right and repeat. During warmup I breath from both sides. When I start my main set I continue to breathe from both sides until I need more air, then I employ the two to the left and two to the right breathing. If I do some all out effort laps I breathe to the left with every stroke, touch the wall, and breathe to the right with every stroke back. I look at it like I do when I'm running in that a jog or easy run has me breathing in for four strides and out for four. If I pick up the pace I need more air and breathe with  every three, etc. I'm just saying you don't have to get locked in to breathing the same when you're swimming, especially if you need more air.

I've been doing bilateral breathing since my second week of lessons and that bit is fine. However the issue is the actual act of breathing in and out. I feel like I'm more taking a gasp of air rather than breathing in when I lift my head up. However when I run, I tend to just breathe through my mouth too as I've always struggled with breathing in through my nose.

C - btw, easy rule of thumb I was taught re when to run or not was if the cold/cough was in the chest, don't run but if it's just in your head, you *could* be okay... 

I've felt the same way when swimming, that my breathing was more of a gasp then a full breath. Do you find that you breathe that way from the start or more like after a few laps? Obviously, when we're swimming we don't have the luxury of breathing whenever we want unless of course our head's out of the water and I'm certain you're not swimming that way. I'm sure you would have mentioned asthma or some other respiratory problem so I'm also ruling that out. When you breathe are you turning your head to the side or are you rolling slightly and allowing your head to move with your shoulder rotation? I've been working on more body rotation when I swim and on not just turning my head to breathe. If I'm swimming laps it's a little different then when I'm doing say, 50's all out. During laps I focus on form and body rotation including trying to let my head roll with my shoulders and this allows a fraction more time to take a deeper breath.   During sprints I do tend to turn my head more and gasp because of the exertion, but when I finish the lap I know I'll pause for 15-30 seconds before the next one. If I do several of these I know by the end I'll be at the wall heaving of breathe and will wait for one minute or more to let my breathing return to normal before continuing with my workout. Does this help?

I've also heard that about chest cold/head cold. It does make sense.

2009-01-25 11:15 AM
in reply to: #1927776

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Oregon

cohophysh - 2009-01-25 9:07 AM Thanks, I think I am coming down with a cold...similar symptoms to others that I have spoken to.  I feel better today...I primarily rested, took vitamin C, zinc, and echinacea yesterday...

Good call. Better to be rested since you're not under pressure to meet a race deadline.

2009-01-25 4:07 PM
in reply to: #1878962

I have a question about biking to running ratio. I am waiting on my copy of "The Triathlete's Training Bible" to come in and that will help me nail down my training for this year, but I have been  looking at running miles and biking miles and see that I am biking about twice the miles I run each month.  In a sprint the ratio is about 6 to 1 in terms of miles, but about 2.5 or 3 to 1 in terms of minutes. Generally I have been running 3 days, biking 2 days, strength training 1 day and resting one day. I am taking it easy right now, but was focusing on the run. I guess I should bike 3 and run 2?  In March I will be swimming 1 day also.  Thanks!

2009-01-26 6:52 AM
in reply to: #1928041

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Oregon
swilburn - 2009-01-25 2:07 PM

I have a question about biking to running ratio. I am waiting on my copy of "The Triathlete's Training Bible" to come in and that will help me nail down my training for this year, but I have been  looking at running miles and biking miles and see that I am biking about twice the miles I run each month.  In a sprint the ratio is about 6 to 1 in terms of miles, but about 2.5 or 3 to 1 in terms of minutes. Generally I have been running 3 days, biking 2 days, strength training 1 day and resting one day. I am taking it easy right now, but was focusing on the run. I guess I should bike 3 and run 2?  In March I will be swimming 1 day also.  Thanks!

This is a great question Stacy. I think it's also part of the reason triathlon's draw some people and not others. What I mean is it involves a process or progression. A linear thinker will plan every detail of a road trip and a global thinker will just get in the car and drive. This is from targetlearning.net:

Linear thinkers prefer a very structured approach to learning. If a learning process involves progression (Step A, Step B, Step C, etc.) linear thinkers will feel more comfortable starting Step B only after Step A has been completed. Mathematics and accounting are considered linear subjects since they involve a process-oriented presentation of information.

Think of setting up your transition area. You rack your bike and then arrange your gear so that A)you swim and then grab your B) bike gear all grouped together, and ride knowing that your C) running shoes are waiting for you.

Most training plans I've used or seen, that aren't specifically designed to focus on one event more then the others, have weeks that do focus on one of the three events more then the other two. It's a process of gradually building up each event to avoid over-training or injury, etc. People who love to bike might choose a bike focused plan while runners may opt for the run focused plan. I say it doesn't matter as long as your training covers the distances of the race(s) you want to do. If you're wanting a ratio, biking 4 to 1 should be fine. A Sprint is 12-15 miles bike to 3 miles run, an Olympic is 25 miles bike to 6 miles run, a Half is 56 miles bike to 13 miles run, and an IM is 112 miles bike to 26 miles run. I rounded off the numbers there but you can see that it's about 4:1 but not exact.  If you don't have any races in the near future, like say April or May, then just keep doing what you're doing and add the swim in March. I'd be interested to see what the "Training Bible" says about the ratios, etc. Please keep me posted and keep up the great training.

2009-01-26 11:26 AM
in reply to: #1927536

User image

Extreme Veteran
Champaign, Illinois
Lara C - 2009-01-25 1:58 AM

Hi Lara,

Lara...

I tend to get 'gaspy' in the pool when I'm not breathing out well.  Either I hold my breath and I have to give the quick exhale and quick gasp when my head comes up, or I breath out too quickly and I'm out of breath by the time my head comes up so I'm gasping for air.  I find that it takes a consistent blowing out while my face is in the water and then when the head pops up I breathe in easily.  Of course, all that takes getting my timing down depending on how much I'm breathing, ie. every third, every fourth, every fifth , or most often every one stroke.

Just keep practicing!

2009-01-26 6:35 PM
in reply to: #1927505

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cotati, CA

Jeff- thanks for the info..I realize that it is all based on personal preference but I need a place to start....I appreciate your feedback.

On the cramping thing, it was the only time it happened but definitely left an impression.  4 miles from home and not able to walk.  Stumbled to a 7-11, got a gatorade and walked the crap off.  Can't imagine how people can compete thru the pain...

IRONVIKING - 2009-01-24 10:36 PM
gaiaserver - 2009-01-24 2:27 PM

Jeff-

Looking for some info about fluid replacement?  Looking ahead, there will be a time when I need to start carrying fluids and nutrition on my running days.  Do you have a system as to how much you carry, what you use (plain water, gatorade, etc....), and the rate of consumption?  I know from past experience that I do not hydrate enough during the run and want to train for doing it properly.....thanks.

I am also interested on salt supplements.  Never have taken them and had a calf cramping episode on a past long run that I never want to repeat.  Assumed it had something to do with electrolyte shortage....educate me please.

Countdown to a Monday training program start! Have cleared the decks of excuses and been to the doc. 

Jim

Jim,

I struggled with finding the right fuel until I started using Infinit. It comes in a powder and has electrolytes, carbohydrates, and protein. I've carried it dry through two marathons, mixing it with a mouthful of water at drinking stations. I used it exclusively during my last Ironman with great success, both as a liquid during the bike course and again dry during the marathon leg.

In training, I run up to six miles with no fuel or water in cool weather. In the summer I'd run up to six miles with just water from a drinking fountain. If I were to ride for one hour or less I'd take water. If I were riding for 2-3 hours I'd definitely take Infinit and water and fuel every 20-30 minutes, and by that I mean I'd have 2-3 swallows of Infinit and 4-6 swallows of water. It's important to take water with fuel to aid in assimilation. I know triathletes who take a combo of fuels with them-bars, gels, and drink- and they come out fine. I wanted the simplest system available and I think Infinit has it all. I'm not a salesman for them I just know it works for me.

My local bike shop (LBS) carries Hammer products. I bought three hammer flasks and used them with Hammer gel that I bought in bulk and would fill the flasks when I ran or rode. I now use the flasks to carry Infinit and if I go on a long run I put one scoop in the flask and fill it up with water, sipping it every thirty minutes or so. For very long runs, of up to2+ hrs, I sometimes take an additional flask of just the powder and stop at a drinking fountain to fill it. If Iwere doing IM training and my rides hit the three or four hour mark I'd fill my aero bottle with infinit and carry four water bottles with me, one of which was an additional serving of infinit. I would fuel every 20 minutes until I had 30 minutes left to ride and would just sip water if I needed it. For a brick where my ride was up to two hours and the run up to six miles I'd have the same Infinit and water supply but would have a dry flask of Infinit for the run. And I'd keep fueling for the duration of the ride and into the run.

Your cramps can be bad news. Do you sweat easily? Do you get the white rings of dried sweat, or feel it like sand on your forehead? I've never used salt supplements so I can't really recommend any to you, but I've heard good things from those who've used LavaSalt.

Monday is the big day huh? Way to go. I hope I answered your question but feel free to keep asking.

Jeff

2009-01-27 11:55 PM

Subject: RE: HELP! I've been sick - Upper Respiratory Infection
Hi guys.

I've been down for the count since Friday. Upper Respiratory Infection. Went to an internist just for a diagnosis b/c it's been going on and off for 2 months and he said it was allergies.

NOT HAPPY WITH THE DOCTOR.

Coughing my head off since Friday. There's no f'ing way I just have allergies. I live in Chicago and it's freaking freezing here.

So besides my b'ching......

What the hell else can I do - less cardio - to keep up the pace?
I need improvement in both bike and run - that's what I really WANT to do right now but it ain't happening until the violent phlegm subsides.

Thoughts, PLEASE?

I was doing so well with the ramp up and I am really disappointed.

Thanks.
2009-01-28 1:15 AM
in reply to: #1932968

User image

Extreme Veteran
Champaign, Illinois

butterfly1723 - 2009-01-27 9:55 PM Hi guys. I've been down for the count since Friday. Upper Respiratory Infection. Went to an internist just for a diagnosis b/c it's been going on and off for 2 months and he said it was allergies. NOT HAPPY WITH THE DOCTOR. Coughing my head off since Friday. There's no f'ing way I just have allergies. I live in Chicago and it's freaking freezing here. So besides my b'ching...... What the hell else can I do - less cardio - to keep up the pace? I need improvement in both bike and run - that's what I really WANT to do right now but it ain't happening until the violent phlegm subsides. Thoughts, PLEASE? I was doing so well with the ramp up and I am really disappointed. Thanks.

Well.. let me preface with.... I'm no Doctor so take any advice with a grain of salt.  What I would do/think in this case:  If it has been going on for two months, most likely  not a virus.  It could be a bacterial infection, but don't just go and start demanding antibiotics because they aren't good for you if you don't need them.  I'd wanna talk to my Dr and tell him/her that I wasn't happy with the diagnosis, that it doesn't make since to me and I'd like to talk it out, understand it better and maybe get some more tests done.  If the doc won't listen, I'd get a new doc.  

So, if the doc does listen, or if I'm talking to a new doc: there are simple blood tests that will rule out or verify bacterial infections.  Is your white blood cell count sky rocketing???  A chest x-ray will show if you have severe bronchitis or pneumonia.  Did they do one?  Okay, maybe it is just allergies, great answer, now what can I do about them, doc?? 

Also, if I was gonna self-medicate, I'd try an expectorant with Guaifenasin in it... help get that phlegm out of there.

Finally, as much as I know I need to train.. i'd listen to what my body is telling me and lay off if I'm just getting worse by training.  I'm normally a 'just train through it' type of person, but that isn't always the best advice.

Anyway, my 2cents about how I'd handle it... but, like I said, I'm not a doctor and you should really seek out a doctor you can trust.

2009-01-28 4:26 AM

I'd been doing bilateral breathing so breathing out at about a rate of a third of each stroke if that makes sense. However the other day in the pool I let my mouth be open a bit more. I was surprised how little water I swalled. Now that probably isn't a good idea, esp in an OW but it did make things easier. My breathing out was more consistent too...

I've also decided to drop the half marathon I was doing from my schedule at the end of March. This means I can focus on building up speed in my running, keeping the distances fairly short (4 - 8 miles by end of May) and probably go with a plan like this per week:

Swim - 3 times a week
Run - 2 times a week one week (one run is intervals/ tempo the other a LSR), 3 times the next
Cycle - 2 times a week one week (one cycle is intervals/ tempo the other a LSC), 3 times the next
Strength - 1 to 2 times per week depending on how the body is feeling
Core - 1 to 2 times per week depending on how the body is feeling

My right sholder is a bit achey. I'm not sure if I overdid the weights the other day or if it's from my swimming style so keeping an eye on that...

Edited by Lara C 2009-01-28 4:27 AM
2009-01-28 6:33 AM
in reply to: #1932997

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Oregon
dcossey - 2009-01-27 11:15 PM

butterfly1723 - 2009-01-27 9:55 PM Hi guys. I've been down for the count since Friday. Upper Respiratory Infection. Went to an internist just for a diagnosis b/c it's been going on and off for 2 months and he said it was allergies. NOT HAPPY WITH THE DOCTOR. Coughing my head off since Friday. There's no f'ing way I just have allergies. I live in Chicago and it's freaking freezing here. So besides my b'ching...... What the hell else can I do - less cardio - to keep up the pace? I need improvement in both bike and run - that's what I really WANT to do right now but it ain't happening until the violent phlegm subsides. Thoughts, PLEASE? I was doing so well with the ramp up and I am really disappointed. Thanks.

Well.. let me preface with.... I'm no Doctor so take any advice with a grain of salt.  What I would do/think in this case:  If it has been going on for two months, most likely  not a virus.  It could be a bacterial infection, but don't just go and start demanding antibiotics because they aren't good for you if you don't need them.  I'd wanna talk to my Dr and tell him/her that I wasn't happy with the diagnosis, that it doesn't make since to me and I'd like to talk it out, understand it better and maybe get some more tests done.  If the doc won't listen, I'd get a new doc.  

So, if the doc does listen, or if I'm talking to a new doc: there are simple blood tests that will rule out or verify bacterial infections.  Is your white blood cell count sky rocketing???  A chest x-ray will show if you have severe bronchitis or pneumonia.  Did they do one?  Okay, maybe it is just allergies, great answer, now what can I do about them, doc?? 

Also, if I was gonna self-medicate, I'd try an expectorant with Guaifenasin in it... help get that phlegm out of there.

Finally, as much as I know I need to train.. i'd listen to what my body is telling me and lay off if I'm just getting worse by training.  I'm normally a 'just train through it' type of person, but that isn't always the best advice.

Anyway, my 2cents about how I'd handle it... but, like I said, I'm not a doctor and you should really seek out a doctor you can trust.

Yeah, what he said. I can understand your disappointment from a training point of view, because you've built up a base and now are maybe losing it. It's better to lose a battle and win the war-meaning, if there are things you can do that don't aggravate or send you into a coughing fit it's probably okay to do it. If that means slower paced rides or walking on a treadmill until you get things figured out then at least it's something. But I do think you should get a second opinion. You didn't mention a fever, which is a good thing, so chances are it's not pneumonia, but it's worth getting checked out again.

2009-01-28 6:42 AM
in reply to: #1933025

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Oregon
Lara C - 2009-01-28 2:26 AM

I'd been doing bilateral breathing so breathing out at about a rate of a third of each stroke if that makes sense. However the other day in the pool I let my mouth be open a bit more. I was surprised how little water I swalled. Now that probably isn't a good idea, esp in an OW but it did make things easier. My breathing out was more consistent too...

I've also decided to drop the half marathon I was doing from my schedule at the end of March. This means I can focus on building up speed in my running, keeping the distances fairly short (4 - 8 miles by end of May) and probably go with a plan like this per week:

Swim - 3 times a week
Run - 2 times a week one week (one run is intervals/ tempo the other a LSR), 3 times the next
Cycle - 2 times a week one week (one cycle is intervals/ tempo the other a LSC), 3 times the next
Strength - 1 to 2 times per week depending on how the body is feeling
Core - 1 to 2 times per week depending on how the body is feeling

My right sholder is a bit achey. I'm not sure if I overdid the weights the other day or if it's from my swimming style so keeping an eye on that...

Hi Lara, I've been wondering about you. The water swallowing you mentioned probably isn't a good thing, though sometimes it happens to me too. I like your plan and I assume you'll be alternating your bike/run so that you'll be riding three times and running two, then riding two times and running three? That makes sense from a building standpoint and should allow you to train/build with less body stress and injury risk. The strength/core is good too, and I think both are important. Personally, I incorporate both into one session three times a week but as long as a person does both weekly it's good.

What's the deal with your shoulder? What kind of movement bothers it? I had a shoulder issue recently that bothered me swimming and had therapy for it. Now it's fine. Let me know what hurts.

2009-01-28 12:03 PM

New user

Hi Jeff,

I tried that ab workout...it was tough, I only ended up with 20 reps of each one 2X.  My question is about the side crunches.  I am not quite sure I am doing them right.  Can you explain, best you can, the proper form?

Thanks

Brian

2009-01-28 6:56 PM

Shoulder is a bit better tonight.

Had another swimming lesson and coach gave me the analogy of blowing out a candle so long steady and not too hard breath. I've got to work on this but I think it will make a difference. Also, my head position was a bit low and raising it a bit is giving me more time to get my head out of the water. So that was good.

Oh and you are correct I'll be alternating the extra session of running or cycling.

2009-01-28 8:22 PM
in reply to: #1933690

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Oregon
cohophysh - 2009-01-28 10:03 AM

Hi Jeff,

I tried that ab workout...it was tough, I only ended up with 20 reps of each one 2X.  My question is about the side crunches.  I am not quite sure I am doing them right.  Can you explain, best you can, the proper form?

Thanks

Brian

Good job on the abs routine. It is a killer.

On the oblique crunch, you lay on your side with your down arm folded so your hand is behind your head. Your top arm can either be along your side or you can put it on your hip. I do it that way so I can feel the oblique contract. So that's the start position, and you don't jerk or pull up you just curl up sideways so that your upper body comes as far off the floor as possible. What's neat is after you do them a few times and you get stronger, you get amazed at crunching up sideways higher and higher.

2009-01-28 8:23 PM
in reply to: #1934568

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Oregon

Lara C - 2009-01-28 4:56 PM Shoulder is a bit better tonight.

Had another swimming lesson and coach gave me the analogy of blowing out a candle so long steady and not too hard breath. I've got to work on this but I think it will make a difference. Also, my head position was a bit low and raising it a bit is giving me more time to get my head out of the water. So that was good.

Oh and you are correct I'll be alternating the extra session of running or cycling.

I'm glad you got that worked out. I bet you make great strides now!

2009-01-28 10:23 PM

Jeff,

I met with a sports nutritionist today and am very excited about working with her. She is a marathoner and triathlete herself. She gave me some goals for the next two weeks and I gave her my annual training plan (for now, it is a work in progress). We will have a phone meeting in two weeks and she will give me more detailed info based on my training. 

Stacy 

2009-01-29 12:23 AM

User image

Hi Y'all!
I've been lurking in the background reading all your posts, and learning a ton from the great questions and advice.

My Total Immersion book showed up from Amazon yesterday and this morning I hit the pool early, planning to do a few of their balance drills before my scheduled swim workout. On the very first drill (floating on your back, arms at your side, easy flutter kick) I discovered that my balance is horrible! The book warns that often beginners tend to compensate for poor balance by kicking harder...which is exactly what I now think I have been doing. This might help explain why I can work my tail off, going nowhere fast.

So, I quickly bagged my planned swim and dedicated my time to working just on balance, trying to keep my body somewhat paralell to the surface. Half the pool water ended up in my nose, next time - nose clips. I'm thinking that I am going to force myself to keep working on balance drills and improving my kick before getting back to my swim plan - does that seem right? It isn't much of a workout, but it seems important to any real improvement.
: ) Twerp
2009-01-29 6:32 AM
in reply to: #1934881

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Oregon
swilburn - 2009-01-28 8:23 PM

Jeff,

I met with a sports nutritionist today and am very excited about working with her. She is a marathoner and triathlete herself. She gave me some goals for the next two weeks and I gave her my annual training plan (for now, it is a work in progress). We will have a phone meeting in two weeks and she will give me more detailed info based on my training. 

Stacy 

Hi Stacy. That sounds great. I have a nutritionist too. She came free with the open heart surgery lol. It helps to have someone in the sport guiding you. Good job!

2009-01-29 6:36 AM
in reply to: #1935020

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Oregon

Twerp - 2009-01-28 10:23 PM Hi Y'all! I've been lurking in the background reading all your posts, and learning a ton from the great questions and advice. My Total Immersion book showed up from Amazon yesterday and this morning I hit the pool early, planning to do a few of their balance drills before my scheduled swim workout. On the very first drill (floating on your back, arms at your side, easy flutter kick) I discovered that my balance is horrible! The book warns that often beginners tend to compensate for poor balance by kicking harder...which is exactly what I now think I have been doing. This might help explain why I can work my tail off, going nowhere fast. So, I quickly bagged my planned swim and dedicated my time to working just on balance, trying to keep my body somewhat paralell to the surface. Half the pool water ended up in my nose, next time - nose clips. I'm thinking that I am going to force myself to keep working on balance drills and improving my kick before getting back to my swim plan - does that seem right? It isn't much of a workout, but it seems important to any real improvement. : ) Twerp

Hi lurker. I've seen some of the TI video and know what you mean about balance. I hope all the water's drained out of your head lol. Honestly, I haven't tried the balance drill you described and think I will this weekend just to see . . . The video makes it look so easy and I've tried to copy some of the techniques but don't know that I've got it down. Whenever there's someone swimming faster then me I watch their form underwater and they usually have good rotation. I'm sure there's more to it then I'm trying to do. If TI works for you I'd like to know, I think it would help me too.

2009-01-31 9:55 AM

User image

Eugene, Oregon

Hi everyone,

I think I'm also going to try that balance drill sound interesting, currently I do the side kick drill with the up arm at my side and the bottom arm extended.  The trick is not to scull with the extended arm.

What I really wanted to ask is if anyone has any good swim work outs  that aren't the usual 4 x whatevers....?

Thanks Dirk

2009-01-31 10:02 AM
in reply to: #1935082

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cotati, CA

I took the TI class after trying to do it solely with the videos.  I thought it was totally worth it.  The main reason is because when they guided me to do the proper technique in the pool, I would have never believed that swimming the way they teach would work.  I didnt feel like I was working hard enough....which of course was the basis for my swimming problems in the first place.  Sounds  familiar?  I mean how can you get anywhere with a 3-count flutter kick and NO pulling on your return arm stroke....never thought it would work.  Funny thing is many begineers end up going backwards when they start.

The best story from my class was a 50+ year old guy who swims competitive sprints.  HE was very very resistant to doing anything other than max power quick turnover swimming.  The instructor convinced him (almost threatened him) to try the TI method.  By the weekend close he was faster down the pool with less strokes.  At least he was man enough to admit it.

IRONVIKING - 2009-01-29 4:36 AM

Twerp - 2009-01-28 10:23 PM Hi Y'all! I've been lurking in the background reading all your posts, and learning a ton from the great questions and advice. My Total Immersion book showed up from Amazon yesterday and this morning I hit the pool early, planning to do a few of their balance drills before my scheduled swim workout. On the very first drill (floating on your back, arms at your side, easy flutter kick) I discovered that my balance is horrible! The book warns that often beginners tend to compensate for poor balance by kicking harder...which is exactly what I now think I have been doing. This might help explain why I can work my tail off, going nowhere fast. So, I quickly bagged my planned swim and dedicated my time to working just on balance, trying to keep my body somewhat paralell to the surface. Half the pool water ended up in my nose, next time - nose clips. I'm thinking that I am going to force myself to keep working on balance drills and improving my kick before getting back to my swim plan - does that seem right? It isn't much of a workout, but it seems important to any real improvement. : ) Twerp

Hi lurker. I've seen some of the TI video and know what you mean about balance. I hope all the water's drained out of your head lol. Honestly, I haven't tried the balance drill you described and think I will this weekend just to see . . . The video makes it look so easy and I've tried to copy some of the techniques but don't know that I've got it down. Whenever there's someone swimming faster then me I watch their form underwater and they usually have good rotation. I'm sure there's more to it then I'm trying to do. If TI works for you I'd like to know, I think it would help me too.

2009-01-31 10:09 PM
in reply to: #1938774

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Oregon
Dirkericson - 2009-01-31 7:55 AM

Hi everyone,

I think I'm also going to try that balance drill sound interesting, currently I do the side kick drill with the up arm at my side and the bottom arm extended.  The trick is not to scull with the extended arm.

What I really wanted to ask is if anyone has any good swim work outs  that aren't the usual 4 x whatevers....?

Thanks Dirk

Dirk, there are no good swim workouts. Just kidding, but I hate them myself. I gave this link to one of the group and mayne it'll work for you. It's from Dave Scott.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUULNJEdKU8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYt8x_7uL48&feature=related

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jeff's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 12