BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jonathan22's mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2009-01-27 9:59 AM
in reply to: #1879927

Subject: RE: Jonathan22's mentor group - OPEN

Name: Chubpat2

Story:  I am just getting started in triathlons.  I need to lose a lot of weight.  This is just something I've always wanted to do.  I plan on competing in the Topeka Tinman and Midwest Mayhem.  I love swimming and biking.  I need a lot of work on the running part.

Family Status:  Married w/two beautiful girls.

I plan on training at least five days a week. Starting Feb. 2 I will have 20 weeks till my first race.

I just need someone to help me stay on track and motivated.   I will also need a lot of mentoring since i am just getting into the sport.  Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, Chad

2009-01-27 12:58 PM

User image

New user

Las Vegas
Hi folks.  Jonathan, is your group still open for new members?
2009-01-27 1:05 PM

Jonathan,

Can I join your mentor group?

Thanks

Bice4

2009-01-28 1:08 PM
in reply to: #1931775

Valdosta, GA

Biggest Fear:  Since I am just doing the Sprint Distance this year (except for maybe 1 Olympic).. My biggest fear is a Flat on the Bike...  the time it would take me to change it along with the total frustration I would have... would likely bring and end to the race for me...  I am past the point of "just wanting to finish" so that is why I say that now.

Next Biggest Fear:  Just simply BONKING on the run.. 

2009-01-28 3:19 PM
in reply to: #1931775

User image

Master

TleahciM and Bice4,

Yes, the group is still open.  Please fill out your profile, races and what you would like to get out of this group.

2009-01-28 9:00 PM

User image

Austin, Tx

hmmm I think my biggest fears are:

1--getting a flat

2- the swim. I hate chugging water b/c someone is pushing me under. There is a certain helplessness to the swim to me.

2009-01-28 9:17 PM

User image

Austin, Tx
Subject: RE: Jonathan22's mentor group - so check this out...

First of all......Thanks for the notes about my duathlon from some of you guys on my TL.

Now for my story...I had to put this in here, b/c it is just my luck.

So I finish my du on Sunday and wait til we can get our stuff out of transition area then leave to eat w/ friends and family.  I get home later on and my husband and I get ready for bed and he says, 'so check the website! what place did you finish?"

I always place in the middle of the pack in my running races, and the races are all large, so I don't think anything of it. 

Now this duathlon only had 120 people or so in the sprint course, so it was nice and small. I went to the website and pulled up my age group category and saw I had finished in third place!!! And I MISSED the freaking awards ceremony b/c I had left!! ugh.... So now I'm on a mission to go get my award and pick it up no matter what- even if it's just a bumpersticker. I want it.

2009-01-29 5:15 AM
in reply to: #1934779

User image

Master

HOLKYLE,

Great job on 3rd place.  

2009-01-29 7:09 AM

New user

So do you recover with protein or carbs? I thought protein, but lately I'm reading maybe carbs. Any thoughts...and...any good ideas on recovery food. I'm tired of smoothies, pb&j and oatmeal.
2009-01-29 9:17 AM
in reply to: #1934779

Charlotte
HOLKYLE - 2009-01-27 10:17 PM

I always place in the middle of the pack in my running races, and the races are all large, so I don't think anything of it. 

Now this duathlon only had 120 people or so in the sprint course, so it was nice and small. I went to the website and pulled up my age group category and saw I had finished in third place!!! And I MISSED the freaking awards ceremony b/c I had left!! ugh.... So now I'm on a mission to go get my award and pick it up no matter what- even if it's just a bumpersticker. I want it.

Congrats on the 3rd place - I finished 3rd in my age group in my last 10k.  I guess all the fast old people stayed home that day!  But I still like the medal I won.  Gotta be proud of your accomplishments.

2009-01-29 9:41 AM

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Jonathan22's mentor group - CLOSED

Great comments everyone this week sharing your fears.  I'll respond to a few of them if you don't mind. 

Also, we have a sufficiently large mentor group now so I've closed it.  I included everyone that asked to be in it on the first post of the thread.  If you haven't posted your profile and race schedule please do so.  Please also add your fellow mentor group members to your friends list and check on them occasionally.  I'm sure they would love the encouragement. 

2009-01-29 9:57 AM
in reply to: #1899269

User image

Master
Biggest fear #1 - getting a flat

It goes without saying but outside of swimming, biking and running, there are a few other things you should practice occasionally prior to race day.  Changing a flat is one of them.  It's not really hard and only takes a few minutes with some practice.  

For me, I have a small bag under my seat.  In that bag is a spare tube, a $20 bill, a CO2 cartridge, and an Innovations Microflate.  Buying a kit is probably the best way to go: http://www.all3sports.com/product_info.php?pName=innovations-tire-r... />
Park Tool has awesome instructions on bike repair so rather than walk through the instructions, I will just reference those here: http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=100

2009-01-29 10:28 AM

User image

Master
Charlotte

For those that saw my planned races this year and saw "Krispy Kreme Challenge" and said WTF...I have just learned that ESPN will be there next weekend to film the race!!!  SportsCenter here I come!!!

http://www.technicianonline.com/sports/espn_to_cover_krispy_kreme_challenge

I can't believe I am driving 170 miles and getting a hotel room to run a few miles, eat 2400 calories and 144 grams of fat, and then run a few more miles! 

2009-01-30 9:09 PM

I feel like I've had a good workout week. I was in the pool with confidence for the first time, I did a good run/bike workout, had  two decent strength days and today I did a 9.5mi bike ride, followed by a full 3mi run. That's the first time I did a near sprint distance training. I'm pretty excited and very tired! Within the next two weeks, I'll be going to setup and registering for the Smithfield Sprint Tri April 4.

Still working on nutrition, but I'm gradually changing that and I'm seeing some body change just from consistent workout and moderate change in diet.

It's still hard for me to believe my workout today. It feels amazing to know I did that. It gave me a HUGE boost of confidence to know that I CAN do it.

I ordered a cyclocomputer on sale from Nashbar and I can't wait for it to get here. Then I'll have a better idea of speed and distance; and I can begin working on cadence and continue to improve my endurance and speed.

2009-02-01 3:11 PM
in reply to: #1934134

I'm down 7 lbs in the last 2 weeks!! That's before our SB party, I won't be weighing agian till next Sunday so beer will be gone by then.  

Also just a note for those who run with ipods, there is a new pod runner intervals series. I'm beginning on Monday we'll see how that gos.

Have fun all

Steve

2009-02-01 7:27 PM
in reply to: #1940056

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
Congrats on being 7 lbs down! Agreed, SB is an ideal "non-weighin" period. :-)

Hope you all had a good training week!

Now, here's a not-so-important question about the swim:

My first race is in a freezing cold, murky lake, early in the morning. Despite how hard it is to see already, plenty of people use those really dark swim goggles. Is that in case there is glare?

This is the race with the 600m swim that Jonathan did in like 10 minutes.

2009-02-01 7:29 PM
in reply to: #1940350

User image

Master
meclavea - 2009-02-01 8:27 PM Congrats on being 7 lbs down! Agreed, SB is an ideal "non-weighin" period. :-) Hope you all had a good training week! Now, here's a not-so-important question about the swim: My first race is in a freezing cold, murky lake, early in the morning. Despite how hard it is to see already, plenty of people use those really dark swim goggles. Is that in case there is glare? This is the race with the 600m swim that Jonathan did in like 10 minutes.

I belive I used tinted goggles.  Tyr I believe.  

I always use tinted goggles on race day. Most times, the sun is just coming up and it seems like there is a 50% change you will be sighting into the sun at some point.  
2009-02-01 7:39 PM

User image

Master
So who is ready for spring?  

I am.  I do not like to be cold.  

How are you guys doing on getting your workouts in outside?  
2009-02-01 8:18 PM
in reply to: #1940370

Charlotte

jonathan22 - 2009-01-31 8:39 PM So who is ready for spring?  

I'm READY for some more warmth!  It seems like every time we have a long run (training for Half Marathon in March) the temps drop into the low 20's or teens.  I grew up in WI but I moved to NC for warmer weather.  Now it seems to be escaping me!

The temp was about 60 here today though and I got out for my 2nd ride on the tri bike I bought a few weeks ago.  The second ride was much more comfortable than the first one after I made a few adjustments to the fit.  I still think it's off some though and need to take into the shop to make sure I'm fitted right.  I guess that's the downside of buying used.  I haven't ridden enough to want to get out in the cold weather on the bike, but running I can handle in pretty much any weather that we get in Charlotte so I'm always outside for the run.

2009-02-01 8:39 PM

User image

Austin, Tx

Want warm weather? Come on down to Austin! It was 78 degrees today!!

Made my long run tough though and the trails were soooo crowded w/ Sunday walkers.

This is definetly one of our warmest winters in awhile.

2009-02-01 9:38 PM

User image

Regular
Middletown

jonathan22 - 2009-02-01 8:39 PM So who is ready for spring?  

I can not wait for some warmer weather.  Today was a treat in New Jersey, reaching 50 degrees. But we did get most, if not all, of the snow melted away today from the small storm last weak.  I have been on the treadmill and spin bike for too long already.  Hoping to get outside on the bike in a month or so.  

2009-02-02 7:01 AM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT

jonathan22 - 2009-02-01 7:39 PM So who is ready for spring?  

Ha, outside! Your're funny.  It's been horrible in CT.  I tried to get one bike ride in and the streets had icy spots and my feet felt frozen so only made it a 15 mile ride.  Other than that, I've done just a couple hikes with the dogs and everything else has been spin bikes, treadmills and cold chlorine pools.  I hear it's snowing again this week too...

2009-02-02 1:27 PM

User image

New user

Las Vegas

Hi folks, sorry for the late start on my part.  2009 has been crazy busy at work!

Name: TleahciM (Mike)
Dimensions: 5'8, 155 lbs
Family Status: Single

Story: I started off road cycling last year and decided that a triathlon (sprint) would be a good goal to try and achieve before I turn 30 in September.  I'm pretty active, well compared to others living here in Vegas (golf, tennis, bingo) so I'm in decent shape.  I'm a former smoker (don't ask what I do for a living, you'd be absolutely shocked) and I figure the extra exercise and my competitive nature would be an added incentive to keep away from the cancer sticks. 

Goals: I'm hoping to finish the San Diego International Triathlon (Sprint) in June and not be dead last in my age group.  There are a couple of other events here in the Vegas area before then but I'm thinking anything outside of being part of a relay is a little too ambitious for me.  After June, who knows.  As for the non-race goals: stay away from the cigaretts, eat less crap food and work away those finally annoying pounds of fat on the old frame. 

Current Training: I'm pretty consistent with the cycling (indoor trainer and actual rides) but I can't swim worth a hoot and my running needs work so I'm trying to work on the last two as much as I can.  I'm working with Michael Pates' "Total Sprint Program" right now with longer distances on the bike days. 

I chose this group since I'm an Atlanta transplant out to the Left Coast and figured this would be one of the closest things I could get to hanging out with a group of Southerners!  Although I'm starting to wonder if I need to get married and have a couple of kids before I can really join the group. :-)

2009-02-02 9:37 PM

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
I hate the cold too. I think the car thermometer read 27 degrees when I got home tonight. It's been a while since I did serious running in weather like this. I remember one time I ended up with what felt like strep.
2009-02-02 11:43 PM

User image

Regular
Middletown
Got a question for those who are experienced at tri's, be it one race or many.  Which race outfit is preferred?  On piece tri suit or the other route with the individual short and top?  
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jonathan22's mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 15