BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JeepFleeb's mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2009-01-12 7:53 AM
in reply to: #1901798

User image

Elite
Quebec, Canada
Subject: RE: JeepFleeb's mentor group - FULL
JeepFleeb - 2009-01-12 8:24 AM

Happy Monday!

How was everyone's weekend?  What's on tap for this week?

I'm crazy kinds of busy today but this evening I'll be on a flight to Colorado for a USAT coaching clinic.  Workout-wise I'm looking at a lot of hill repeats on the bike as well as plenty of speed intervals.  Sunday I've got a 2hr run which is kind of unusual.  I think this is only the 4th time in 3 years my coach has ever given me that long of a training run.

I don't get it, you never run over 2 hours in training even when training for a marathon or an Ironman? Either you have a way different plan then I do or you run really fast so you can fit 32-34km in 2 hours

2009-01-12 9:08 AM
in reply to: #1880994

User image

Veteran
Looks like this week will change up.  Strained my medial collateral ligament last night, ouch.  Looks like I will be focusing on swimming, possibly pulling sets if kicking irritates it.  Will find out tonight when I hit the pool.
2009-01-12 10:03 AM

User image

Regular
Lawton / Fort Sill, OK

Happy Monday All,

Wow, what a busy weekend!  Daughters basketball tournement (out of town of course), house shopping, training!!!  Just now had time to log in my weekend work outs.  I'v been reading everyones logs.  GREAT WORKOUTS!! Keep it up!

If you've read my logs and noticed there are no swimming events, it's because I don't have a pool open right now.  The one I use on Fort Sill is under renovation and the one at the Y is down too.  I think I can get my swim back fairly easy when one re-opens.  That is my best event of the three.

Michael

2009-01-12 10:58 AM

User image

New user
ok so i'm reading all of this talk of buring calories during runs, corresponding hr zones, etc but i got a really "newbie" question. When you say "gel" what are you talking about?
2009-01-12 11:03 AM
in reply to: #1902261

User image

Regular
Lawton / Fort Sill, OK

Ryan,

Gels - GU, Power gel, Hammer gel, etc are quick acting carbs in the form of a pasty liquid in small packages.  Usualy give between 85-120 calories per pack along with some electrolytes.  Google "sports gel" and you'll see all..

I'm partial to Hammer, Powerbar gel, and lava gel.  Hammer is the easiest on my stomach but I like the electrolytes that Powerbar gives.

Michael

Edited by Tr1Hawaii 2009-01-12 11:05 AM
2009-01-12 11:09 AM
in reply to: #1900408

User image

Regular
Lawton / Fort Sill, OK
icychacal - 2009-01-11 12:48 AM 

Ok so....swimming actually will be my strongest part of a race. I swam in the military and feel more confident when it comes to competing swimming than running or biking.

What branch of service Ryan?

Michael

2009-01-12 12:52 PM
in reply to: #1901798

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, NE

Happy Monday all!

5 work days to go - then I'm on a plane for sunny AZ!!  I'm meeting some friends out there and doing the PF Chang's Rock N Roll Half-Marathon.  I CAN'T WAIT!!  So this week will be pretty low-key for me . . . I hate tapering!! :P  Then onto recovery . . . I've been training for races since last December, so I have read I should take a bit of recovery time.  Only problem is - my next race is May 3 - so I can't take too much time!  Not to mention I can't wait to get back on an official training plan!  This last one was kind of butchered due to a sprained ankle.

A couple of you asked what shoes I bought - they are Asics Gel Kayano 14's.  The same model as my last pair - they are feeling great so far!  I can't wait to get outta here and put a few more miles on them tonight!

Aaron - thanks for the response on the equipment tracker!  I feel better "seeing" that my miles are getting logged to my shoes.  I also saw your response on the Kurt computer - I didn't figure it could be that great for the price . . . now, like the others, I need to re-read some of the rest of this great info!  Thanks!!

Well . . . back to work for me!

Renee

2009-01-12 1:04 PM
in reply to: #1902553

User image

Master
Roswell, GA
rreischl - 2009-01-12 1:52 PM

Happy Monday all!

5 work days to go - then I'm on a plane for sunny AZ!!  I'm meeting some friends out there and doing the PF Chang's Rock N Roll Half-Marathon.  I CAN'T WAIT!!  So this week will be pretty low-key for me . . . I hate tapering!! :P  Then onto recovery . . . I've been training for races since last December, so I have read I should take a bit of recovery time.  Only problem is - my next race is May 3 - so I can't take too much time!  Not to mention I can't wait to get back on an official training plan!  This last one was kind of butchered due to a sprained ankle.

A couple of you asked what shoes I bought - they are Asics Gel Kayano 14's.  The same model as my last pair - they are feeling great so far!  I can't wait to get outta here and put a few more miles on them tonight!

Aaron - thanks for the response on the equipment tracker!  I feel better "seeing" that my miles are getting logged to my shoes.  I also saw your response on the Kurt computer - I didn't figure it could be that great for the price . . . now, like the others, I need to re-read some of the rest of this great info!  Thanks!!

Renee

Good luck in AZ.  How many Mary's have you done and do you have a goal?
2009-01-12 1:31 PM

User image

Elite
Quebec, Canada
rreischl - 2009-01-12 1:52 PM

Happy Monday all!

5 work days to go - then I'm on a plane for sunny AZ!!  I'm meeting some friends out there and doing the PF Chang's Rock N Roll Half-Marathon.  I CAN'T WAIT!!  So this week will be pretty low-key for me . . . I hate tapering!! :P 

Good luck out there

2009-01-12 1:51 PM

User image

Regular
Lawton / Fort Sill, OK

Good luck Renee.  Have fun!!

Michael

2009-01-12 2:58 PM
in reply to: #1902280

User image

New user
Tr1Hawaii - 2009-01-12 9:09 AM

Ok so....swimming actually will be my strongest part of a race. I swam in the military and feel more confident when it comes to competing swimming than running or biking.

Michael

Thanks for the info. I'm sure all you guys and gals will get sick of my questions. I really am learning from scratch. I was in the Marine Corps. Served right out of high school. Spent a couple of years in Okinawa.
Are you prior service as well?

2009-01-12 3:01 PM

User image

New user
rreischl - 2009-01-12 10:52 AM

Happy Monday all!

Renee

That sounds awesome! Good luck! Hopefully they will have a huge buffet of PF Chang's food for you afterwards. One of my favorite places to eat out.

2009-01-12 3:15 PM
in reply to: #1902868

User image

Regular
Lawton / Fort Sill, OK
icychacal - 2009-01-12 2:58 PM
Tr1Hawaii - 2009-01-12 9:09 AM

Michael

Thanks for the info. I'm sure all you guys and gals will get sick of my questions. I really am learning from scratch. I was in the Marine Corps. Served right out of high school. Spent a couple of years in Okinawa.
Are you prior service as well?

Roger.  I just retired from the Army.  22 years worth of Army!

2009-01-12 3:43 PM

User image

New user

Michael

A lifer huh? That's great. I have a tremendous amount of respect for those willing to put in that type of time and comittment. OOO-RAH!!!!

So couple Q's-for anyone.

#1) I would like to add links to my profile page/training log to take me directly to our thread. How do I do this?

#2) My first sprint is 273 yds swim, 13 miles bike, 3 miles run (maybe that's the standard I dk) What is the best way to train for this? The current program I am using on BT just gives me times and days for activities. No intensity, time, etc. to gauge progress. I was thinking about just picking a time and then working up to that over the next 12 weeks. After viewing some other tri's times for sprints and 1 for that particular race I thought 1 hour should work with 5 minutes swim, 35 minutes bike, and 20 minutes run. Is that reasonable? Any suggestions?

2009-01-12 4:36 PM
in reply to: #1902950

User image

Regular
Lawton / Fort Sill, OK
icychacal - 2009-01-12 3:43 PM

Michael

A lifer huh? That's great. I have a tremendous amount of respect for those willing to put in that type of time and comittment. OOO-RAH!!!!

So couple Q's-for anyone.

#1) I would like to add links to my profile page/training log to take me directly to our thread. How do I do this?

#2) My first sprint is 273 yds swim, 13 miles bike, 3 miles run (maybe that's the standard I dk) What is the best way to train for this? The current program I am using on BT just gives me times and days for activities. No intensity, time, etc. to gauge progress. I was thinking about just picking a time and then working up to that over the next 12 weeks. After viewing some other tri's times for sprints and 1 for that particular race I thought 1 hour should work with 5 minutes swim, 35 minutes bike, and 20 minutes run. Is that reasonable? Any suggestions?

Ryan,

My thoughts on # 2.  I kinda thought the same for time when I did my first sprint.  I was off.  I started in the front and even though I swim well, I didn't figure in the pummeling I received at the start in the swim.  I got in front of the group and then was fine.  Then  transition time.  I hadn't practiced enough,  just a couple of half hearted run thru's.  Transition is an art unto itself!! 

If you can accomplish the times listed, add about a minute per event and then add in transition time.  What was your last PFT 3 mile time? Have you kept the same shape as then?  Better to just push hard and enjoy. Smile The next race or two worry about times, not your first one!!!

As for training for a sprint, the latest Triathlete magazine has a great beginners plan.  I was looking it over last night for a buddy.  Has some basic info on how hard to push. 

Any body else have advice?

"1st Team"

Michael

2009-01-12 4:53 PM

User image

Regular
Lawton / Fort Sill, OK
What's it like to swim in a wetsuit?

2009-01-12 6:58 PM

User image

New user

Swimming in a wetsuit?????? I don't know.....probably would slow you up a little right?

My last PFT was 19:46. But I'm not in the same cardio shape but I'm pretty confident in 3 months I could be there.

Thanks for the advice. I will have to go and see if I can find that magazine at barnes and nobles.

2009-01-12 7:48 PM
in reply to: #1903095

User image

Master
Roswell, GA

Tr1Hawaii - 2009-01-12 5:53 PM What's it like to swim in a wetsuit?

Swimming in a wetsuit will actually make you faster.  It's makes you more boyant (sp???) so you don't have to work to stay on top of the water.

Big suggestion though - practice in it before you race in it.  I had no fear of open water until I did my first race last season in a wetsuit that I had never worn before - I now have panic issues that I am working very hard to overcome. 

Here is what happened - I had never worn a wetsuit - ever.  Went out and bought a used one and I figured no big deal right.  Put it on for my first race of last season (which was actually my 3rd race ever but the first one that I actually trained for) and before I even made it to the first buoy I felt like it was choking me.  Got kind of freaked out - swam over to one of the boats, unzipped it and pulled it down to my waist.  Little did I know that that was like putting an anchor on.  It was like I was being pulled under - had no idea that is what would happen.  I should have taken the wetsuit completely off.  I ended up hyperventilating and swimming from boat to boat.  Was one of the last ones out of the water (to my credit I did stick it out and did not DNF).  After that my hr was through the roof and I never could get it under control.  Had the worst bike and run ever.  I think it took me 40 mins or more to do a 5K (it was very hilly - in a campgroupd)  This was an all women's race and Carole Sharpless was there and playing to the newbies.  She was running in and finishing with everyone one at a time - this should have been very exciting - but it was not

So moral of my story is to practice with a wetsuit before you wear it in a race.  And with or without a wetsuit - get in an open water swim or two before your first race so you will know what to expect.

Aaron - this is something I was going to ask later, but since the time has come up - can you address panic issues in OWS?

2009-01-12 8:53 PM
in reply to: #1903403

User image

Regular
Lawton / Fort Sill, OK

Thanks for the info Lisa.  I have no doubt that your reluctance will disappear.  I asked the question because my real swimming experience came from open water ocean swimming in the pacific (Guam, American Samoa and Hawaii).  Warm enough year round to swim without one.  We used them to spearfish, but not for swimming.  Since I've moved back to the mainland, I have been contemplating buying one.  I have resisted and even scheduled my races so that I don't have to use one.  I think those days are over. 

I've heard and been told that they make you faster.  On a good day, with the training, I can do 1500m in about 22:30.  That's open water not pool.   So, I've been intrigued with what would happen if I used one.

Any recommendations of brands?  I've been looking at Rocket Science, 2XU, and Orca. 

Michael

2009-01-12 11:53 PM
in reply to: #1901840

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-01-13 12:07 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2009-01-13 8:49 AM
in reply to: #1902582

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, NE

Lisa B - 2009-01-12 1:04 PM

Good luck in AZ.  How many Mary's have you done and do you have a goal?

Thanks Lisa!  I'm doing the half - I've never done a full, although I'm hoping to do my first full in October.  As for halfs - I did my first one last may, then 11.1 out of 13 in my first HIM (they cancelled the end due to weather ), then I did 13.1 in a HIM, then 10 out of 13.1 in my last half (again - called due to weather).  If you want to finish your race - don't sign up for one with me, LOL!  Hopefully Phoenix is safe!!  As for a goal - originally I wanted to go sub-2, then I sprained my ankle and couldn't train like I wanted.  I'm going to start with the 2:07 pacer - I think I should be able to maintain that, I'd be really happy if I could break away and go sub-2:04:27, and my dream goal is still sub-2.  Thanks for asking!

Renee

2009-01-13 8:55 AM

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, NE

Thanks all for the well wishes on the race all!  I'm counting down the days!  This is ending up being a busy week, so I guess the taper time is good.  Tonight is the first night for a bike maintenance class - being offered by my LBS (local bike shop).  I REALLY need it!  Last year I lucked out - no flats - but I really need to learn how to take care of a flat and keep my bike maintained!!  Not to mention understanding the mechanics of it better - some of the talk last week on here was over my head   It lasts thru Feb, every T night, so it should be good!  Only bad thing is - I have to miss Biggest Loser!  I'll let you all know how it goes.

TTYL!
Renee

2009-01-13 10:16 AM

New user

My first "official" workout day was yesterday. I only ran for 20 and swam for 15 but realized how much work I have to do in order to accomplish my goals. It was the first time I'd been in the pool in quite a while and I think my form went to hell after about 100m haha.

2009-01-13 10:37 AM
in reply to: #1904467

Elite
Quebec, Canada

Grats!

You went out there and did the workouts. This is a really good accomplishment by itself. Now you only have to keep doing it and you will get better in everything.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JeepFleeb's mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 14