BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GordoByrn's Group Full for the Spring Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2009-04-21 10:27 AM
in reply to: #2099445

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.
Subject: RE: GordoByrn's Group Full for the Spring
cjhild - 2009-04-21 9:57 AM
SSMinnow

Boston yesterday

Congratulations, saw the little blurb ESPN had on the race and I thought of you.  Way to go.

Great job.

2009-04-21 4:06 PM
in reply to: #2099065

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
SSMinnow - 2009-04-21 3:20 AM Hi All

G--what is the typical recovery period you suggest? any other practical advice for speedier recovery?

Suzy

Hey Suzy --

Generally, two weeks of very light training, then a week of normal training (steady cap), then an easy week, then back to normal training (normal intensity ranges).

Should fit well with the sprint 5 weeks after.

The key thing to speed recovery is not to rush it -- you'll be tempted to hammer in the 12-17 days post-race period.  Best to dial down the urge.

2009-04-21 4:09 PM
in reply to: #2099441

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
cjhild - 2009-04-21 7:54 AM
GordoByrn

G- when you were first starting out, how did you set your goals?  In particular goals for a particular race.  Did you shoot for certain overall times, certain times on the bike or run, just finish, etc?  I struggle with how I should lay out my goals.

Honestly, I didn't have any.  Just trained and had fun.  Did a lot of long low heart rate training -- walking, hiking, exploring.  Got into tracking my strength in the gym -- have always enjoyed getting strong.

Spent years getting the weight off before I ever tried to race.

2009-04-21 4:11 PM
in reply to: #2099728

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
Ken in AZ - 2009-04-21 9:26 AM

Gordo
Thanks for the 5:1 tip -- I actually did that this morning on my first outdoor run in a while.  Worked out great...

Question -- I have been adhering to the Maffetone Method of HR ... for me, that's 180 minus 45 (age), and then deduct 5 points for my fatigue... which has me at 130.  Tough to stay down there if there is wind on the bike, or just tough to run at that HR period.

What is your take on HR and where we should be training -- especially right now in 'base building' mode?

ken

Stick to the cap and change your gearing if you can't on the bike.  This is super important for giving yourself every chance to succeed.

How long have you been doing aerobic exercise?  How many days off have you had this year? 

2009-04-21 5:52 PM
in reply to: #2072085

User image

New user
Thanks Gordo
I was poking around the Endurance Corner site, and saw your vid on the 'what's my number' piece.  Good stuff. 

So -- which cap should I stick to -- the lower number of 130 or the 135?  I am 45 y/o and my max HR is ~175, I actually tested it last year (with a coach I was working with remotely) on the bike and run and at the time I maxed out at 176.

I have been training aerobically for a while, just not consistently, and that's what has hurt me.  Now the focus is on doing something every day, with one rest day off each week.   And I just need to watch my fatigue levels.  All three of your points in the vid resonated with me -- be sure I can do the next day's workout, nutrition, and sleep.  I stink at the latter 2, but can work on all 3 for sure.  If I feel cooked after my morning workout, back off or rest for the PM session.

Appreciate the help, and enjoy the info on EC. 
2009-04-21 8:21 PM

Expert

Justin and Boom, you guys have your race the same weekend as I do. Mine is the 10th, Mother's Day. Cannot imagine a nicer Mothers Day than starting with a triathlon, and then spending the afternoon with my family celebrating my son's bday. 

Here's my plan for preparing for the Kinetic Sprint May 10th:

It is an 18 rolling miles bike course, rolling 5k run course.

Swimming volume will stay pretty much the same as past weeks, about 5K, and include a 750 each time out. Swim LCM or open water at least once, in wetsuit.

Running volume the same too, about 10 mpw. I'm hesitant to increase run volume due to this hamstring tendonitis I'm trying to get over, but would like to pick up the pace from an easy easy trot to include some threshold (9:15 - 9:30).

Bike: Need to increase to 2x during the week - I have not been getting in much bike time lately. Weekdays are on the trainer. Weekend rides are in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Increase long ride this weekend to 30 miles (2 hours). Next weekend 1-1/2 hours; that following weekend is the race!

Taper early in the week preceding the race (off Monday, Tuesday, easy workouts w/some pickups w-th-f-s). 

Being early in the season and considering my bike/run have been off due to hamstring, I don't expect this will be my fastest race. I am looking to improve on the swim, perhaps with a better starting strategy (ie don't wait for 1 or 2 minutes after the horn goes off to let the crowd thin out, only to have to pass gobs of breaststroking ladies), to let it out on the bike, and to have a cautious yet joyful run to the finish. It's gonna be fun!

I am looking for an Olympic distance race this summer, maybe in June before it gets too hot.

Thanks for any suggestions!

2009-04-21 10:16 PM
in reply to: #2101134

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
Ken in AZ - 2009-04-21 4:52 PM Thanks Gordo
I was poking around the Endurance Corner site, and saw your vid on the 'what's my number' piece.  Good stuff. 

So -- which cap should I stick to -- the lower number of 130 or the 135?  I am 45 y/o and my max HR is ~175, I actually tested it last year (with a coach I was working with remotely) on the bike and run and at the time I maxed out at 176.

I have been training aerobically for a while, just not consistently, and that's what has hurt me.  Now the focus is on doing something every day, with one rest day off each week.   And I just need to watch my fatigue levels.  All three of your points in the vid resonated with me -- be sure I can do the next day's workout, nutrition, and sleep.  I stink at the latter 2, but can work on all 3 for sure.  If I feel cooked after my morning workout, back off or rest for the PM session.

Appreciate the help, and enjoy the info on EC. 

#1 thing is to remember that the guideline is a cap, not a target.  So... I'd cap yourself at 135.  Once you are "6 for 7" over a dozen weeks -- then you could consider raising that cap to 140.

Regardless of where your cap is, you are going to get the most bang for your buck sitting 125-130 for now.

The overall goal is enjoying your training and being consistent -- the caps are really an easy way to keep us from doing something silly on our good days.  Save the mental toughness for when you don't want to train.

g
2009-04-22 12:30 PM
in reply to: #2101423

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
BabsVa - 2009-04-21 6:21 PM

Justin and Boom, you guys have your race the same weekend as I do.

Awesome!  Getting close now.

Cannot imagine a nicer Mothers Day than starting with a triathlon, and then spending the afternoon with my family celebrating my son's bday.

Agreed, sometimes I get to feeling pretty selfish with training and being away from my family (even though I try to train early so as to limit time away).  But the two triathlons that I have done so far have been great family days.  The kids are wiped out, but we all get to spend the day together.  Enjoy your boy's birthday!

It is an 18 rolling miles bike course

Kind of a long bike for a sprint?

don't wait for 1 or 2 minutes after the horn goes off to let the crowd thin out, only to have to pass gobs of breaststroking ladies

For my one open water swim (I am obviously not an expert) I was planning to count to 20, but counted to 10 and jumped in.  It was perfect for me. I seemed to do ok with getting around folks, I certainly did not catch up to the leaders of the pack or anything.  Maybe just wait a shorter time.  I was thinking about powering in there right at the gun on May 9th, but I am going to contain myself and do a countdown, I feel like it really took the pressure off me on the swim.  Just my 2 cents.

2009-04-22 12:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern Virginia
This is some good discussion. I need to work hard to keep my heart rate down when running. I have been monitoring it better during my runs, but not keeping it down. I just need to slow down.
Would you suggest walking to get my heart rate back down when it gets to high?

I'm still having trouble getting to the pool and on the bike. Just takes more prep and planning. I know it is going to come back at me. I only have a couple more weeks in my current semester then I should be able to balance the training a lot better.
2009-04-22 12:46 PM
in reply to: #2101423

User image

Veteran
Northern Virginia
BabsVa - 2009-04-21 9:21 PM

Justin and Boom, you guys have your race the same weekend as I do. Mine is the 10th, Mother's Day. Cannot imagine a nicer Mothers Day than starting with a triathlon, and then spending the afternoon with my family celebrating my son's bday. 

Here's my plan for preparing for the Kinetic Sprint May 10th:

Hopefully I will see you there. This will be my first race and its coming quick. We are heading down on Saturday morning and camping at the park. I hope to get some time in the water the day before just to acclimate to it all. Sounds like there will be a lot of stories to tell the Monday after.
2009-04-22 1:54 PM
in reply to: #2100910

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
GordoByrn - 2009-04-21 4:06 PM
SSMinnow - 2009-04-21 3:20 AM Hi All

G--what is the typical recovery period you suggest? any other practical advice for speedier recovery?

Suzy

Hey Suzy --

Generally, two weeks of very light training, then a week of normal training (steady cap), then an easy week, then back to normal training (normal intensity ranges).

Should fit well with the sprint 5 weeks after.

The key thing to speed recovery is not to rush it -- you'll be tempted to hammer in the 12-17 days post-race period.  Best to dial down the urge.

G

What is a steady cap?  My light week consists of a very ez swim today, bike Friday, bike/swim Saturday and short ez run/swim on Sunday.  Reasonable?

All this HR training dialogue has me thinking about the marathon.  HR was significantly higher than other marathons, pretty much 168-172 the whole time which is basically what happens in Tempo runs (although I was not nearly as winded).  how might this have affected me?  I decided there wasn't much I could about it and kept going.  It did not seem to significantly fry me, although as is typical 21-26 was tough.

Suzy

2009-04-22 5:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Alright, first run ever with a HRM.  Gordo, please don't yell at me, j/k.  This was quite an experience.  I started off shooting for a 5:1 and my HR was sky high at the end of 5 min.  So I started to walk to get it down, it seemed like it took forever to get it back down, was trying to keep it no more than 137 (did not do a good job at that).  When I was barely jogging it spiked way up, seemed like I was walking way more than running.  Based on this HR data, I cannot imagine what my HR was when I was running without it, I would go WAY faster pace than today, my HR must have been through the roof.  I am afraid to see where my HR lands on the bike.

G- a few questions:

Based on the HR zones you have on your web site and have posted here (easy- 160, steady- 170, mod- 180), I am 33 yo, so I am trying to stay most of the time in easy (127) and steady (137)?  I want to stay away from moderately-hard (147) for the most part right?  I think I understand this from your posts in our group and in the Word doc you sent, I just want to be sure.

Why is my heart rate so high?  Lack of fitness, going to hard, combination of both?

I am very surprised with how high my heart rate is, I was thinking it would be much lower.  It is hot today (95 degrees) and it is my first run in the heat, how much would that contribute to my numbers here?

Attached a screen shot of my HR data from today (hopefully it is high enough quality for you to see).  Thanks.

(042209 run.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
042209 run.jpg (21KB - 16 downloads)
2009-04-22 6:22 PM

Expert

Justin - did you chug a mug before your went for your run? - Babs

I mean coffee, of course ;-)

2009-04-22 6:35 PM
in reply to: #2103762

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
BabsVa - 2009-04-22 4:22 PM

That is what I am saying, I was a little freaked out by the numbers.  Nah, nothing to drink before.  It seems strange to me that it is so high??
2009-04-22 7:00 PM

Expert

OK it was hot out. Are you getting sick, taking any medications, is the HRM working? Or maybe ... a beautiful girl named Renee walked by ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwgwI35jIPU

2009-04-22 7:04 PM
in reply to: #2102914

Expert

mtntord - 2009-04-22 1:46 PM Hopefully I will see you there. This will be my first race and its coming quick. We are heading down on Saturday morning and camping at the park. I hope to get some time in the water the day before just to acclimate to it all. Sounds like there will be a lot of stories to tell the Monday after.

Dude! We will have to meet up. I am hoping to volunteer at Saturday's race, the Kinetic Half, probably as a kayaker again. Maybe we swim after?

Edited by BabsVa 2009-04-22 7:07 PM

2009-04-22 7:16 PM
in reply to: #2103818

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
BabsVa - 2009-04-22 5:00 PM

Renee

Not sick or anything.  I did not see any Renee's, but I am sure I was thinking about some.
2009-04-22 7:50 PM

User image

New user

Justin
Cool graphic -- is that a Polar screen shot?  What do the blue/red lines represent?

FWIW, for me -- heat KILLS my HR -- shoots me up way high.  I am also really sensitive to fatigue, so for me if I am really tired, my HR shoots up quickly...

ken

2009-04-22 9:19 PM
in reply to: #2103951

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Ken in AZ - 2009-04-22 5:50 PM

is that a Polar screen shot?

It is a Garmin 305 with heart rate monitor strap.  Just got it yesterday. 

What do the blue/red lines represent?

Red is heart rate and blue is pace.

heat KILLS my HR

Yeah, hoping it is just the heat??

2009-04-22 10:54 PM
in reply to: #2104191

User image

New user
Justin
How do you like the 305?  I have been using a Polar S410 (which someone gave me) for a while... I like the HR -- in fact I don't work out without it, but it would be fun to know distance, pace, etc.  Easy to use?  Clunky?  The new models are coming out, so the 305s have dropped quite a bit in price...

Gordo... at some point can you point me/us to information on picking out a bike?  I have been riding my road geometry aluminum Trek for a few years and would like to step up to a tri geometry carbon bike.  No idea where to start.  My former bike coach was really strict on road geometry, aerobars, etc.  I just want to have fun, be comfortable and go fast (if possible).  Do I just ride a few to check them out?  Are there any models better suited for tall inflexible guys?  Also, if I go that route, I will probably get a Power Tap off the bat -- IF that's something we can use without a coach (i.e., how will I know what to do with the data from it)...  SOrry, that may be a lot of info for one shot...

Good bike this AM, strength workout an hour ago, time to hit the showers and bed...

ken
2009-04-23 5:22 AM
in reply to: #2103783

User image

Champion
cjhild - 2009-04-22 6:35 PM

That is what I am saying, I was a little freaked out by the numbers.  Nah, nothing to drink before.  It seems strange to me that it is so high??

Justin

When I first started running, my HR was high with what I considered a very slow pace. I bought this book by Maffetone and followed it.  If my HR was over 150 (arbitrary at the time), I slowed down even more.  Eventually I got to the point where I would run at a faster pace with an HR in the 140s.  It'll happen, it justs take a good aerobic base and time.

Your HR could also be high due to weather - heat/humidity (as others pointed out) or it could be from dehyradtion or fatigue.  On Monday, my HR was 168-172 the whole race which was odd since it did not seem as if I was pushing myself to that level.  I was fueled, hydrated and on my pace so I have no clue what was going on.  Sometimes it happens.  Watch it over time.

Suzy

2009-04-23 6:05 AM
in reply to: #2104497

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.
SSMinnow - 2009-04-23 6:22 AM

Eventually I got to the point where I would run at a faster pace with an HR in the 140s.  It'll happen, it justs take a good aerobic base and time.

Your HR could also be high due to weather - heat/humidity (as others pointed out) or it could be from dehyradtion or fatigue.  On Monday, my HR was 168-172 the whole race which was odd since it did not seem as if I was pushing myself to that level.  I was fueled, hydrated and on my pace so I have no clue what was going on.  Sometimes it happens.  Watch it over time.

Suzy

I agree 100% on the aerobic base.  Once mine is built up I can cruise and keep my HR in check, but until then it can get crazy high at times.

Suzy...given your size, do you think the wind played a part in causing your rate to get up a little?  Your RPE wouldn't be as noticible, maybe, because of your conditioning, but you are still leaning into it and forcing yourself down the roads....Just wondering.

Steve
2009-04-23 8:26 AM
in reply to: #2104520

User image

Champion
Reno8 - 2009-04-23 6:05 AM
SSMinnow - 2009-04-23 6:22 AM

Eventually I got to the point where I would run at a faster pace with an HR in the 140s.  It'll happen, it justs take a good aerobic base and time.

Suzy

I agree 100% on the aerobic base.  Once mine is built up I can cruise and keep my HR in check, but until then it can get crazy high at times.

Suzy...given your size, do you think the wind played a part in causing your rate to get up a little?  Your RPE wouldn't be as noticible, maybe, because of your conditioning, but you are still leaning into it and forcing yourself down the roads....Just wondering.

Steve

Yes, I think the wind could have played a factor in elevating the HR especially since it was high from the first mile, although I would think it would also affect RPE. I did drop to the slow side of my goal pace so maybe I was already compensating for it, not sure.  The only other thing I can think of is hydration, but I never cramped up, only got wonky the last 10K.  Left the hotel at 6:30, race starts at 10:30am, drank about 64 oz on the course (550 cals/30% of what I burned), never went to the bathroom on the course and didn't until 10pm that night despite drinking the motherload of fluid post race.  

Suzy
2009-04-23 3:39 PM
in reply to: #2103825

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
Hi Gang,

Off to Utah for a long weekend -- if I can't get online then I'll be back on Tuesday!

2009-04-24 11:14 AM
in reply to: #2104373

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Ken in AZ - 2009-04-22 8:54 PM
Justin, How do you like the 305?

I love it, only had it for two workouts so far, but I dig it big time.  The GPS data is really cool, may not be totally necessary but it is neat to see the stuff on a map and have the elevation climb data.

Easy to use?

Completely easy, installed the software and uploaded the workouts, piece of cake.

Clunky?

I have small wrists, I don't wear watches mostly because guy's watches are too big and because I just use my BlackBerry for the time.  So I was really worried about it being too big, it is not tiny, but not too big for me at all.  I am really happy with the size, that was my one big concern.

The new models are coming out, so the 305s have dropped quite a bit in price...

I went back and forth on waiting for the 310XT and eventually decided to wait on that one because I do not want to pay the "new" price for that one.  Got my 305 for $162 on Amazon.  It looks like the 310 will be cool being able to swim with it and the smaller size, but I plan to be happy with the 305 for awhile.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GordoByrn's Group Full for the Spring Rss Feed  

of 27