BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Bill's House of Pain-No Vacancy Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2009-04-23 6:22 PM
in reply to: #2105910

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Bill's House of Pain-No Vacancy
Bill - 2009-04-23 1:43 PM
I “pre-eat” before going to restaurants. If I know I’m going to eat something that may be very high calorie, or a place with baskets of chips and whatnot on the table, I pre-eat. By that I mean about 30 minutes beforehand I have an ounce of raw almonds or a slice of whole grain high dietary fiber bread and chase it with a 12 ounce glass of water. That usually has me feeling half full, and it seems to wake up my “I don’t need any more food” mechanism a little faster than had I been stuffing my face with chips

Great idea, I work in sales and do alot of customer enteratianing. Which includes eating out, I do have tendency to overeat when I am out. If I follow your advice I will get full before I consume all that is put in front of me. I would rather have slice of high fiber bread and 1/2 a steak than a whole steak and no bread!

2009-04-23 6:22 PM
in reply to: #2105910

User image

Master
Hamilton, Victoria

Bill - 2009-04-24 5:43 AM

We have a number of team members who are trying to lose a few pounds...

1) I try to never be hungry. When I'm hungry I tend to tear into whatever's in sight like a crazed animal. Loaves of bread, bags of chips, slow moving animals without too much hair to choke down... nothing is safe. So I avoid that situation as often as possible by eating throughout the day (the standard 5 or 6 smaller meals) and paying attention to my hunger level.

2) I “pre-eat” before going to restaurants...

3) I have learned to sloooooooooow down when I eat....

Bill, that is was me to a tee! My family would duck for cover whenever I mentioned I was going on a diet as they knew that it wouldn't be too long before I would inhale the first quadriped that came wandering into my range. I would start out limiting everything but by mid / late afternoon I was ready to demolish anything! And I ate at a furious pace. I'm sure the plate would be left spinning on the table (if it ever made the table) after I was finished. I soon reliased that I needed to slow down and try to recognise the 'not hungry' feeling so that I could stop eating. I am by no means perfect yet but my days of laying on the floor five minutes after a meal, trying to undo my pants and complainging about having eaten too much are definately over.

I also pre-eat if I know we are going out because I cannot always predict how long it will be before we eat and if it takes too long I end up ordering too much.

I also try and eat with company so that I don't get into a frenzy and eat too much.

Thanks for the article, it was very timely for me...

2009-04-23 6:46 PM
in reply to: #2106616

User image

Elite
Texas
dixrp - 2009-04-23 6:22 PM
Bill - 2009-04-23 1:43 PM I “pre-eat” before going to restaurants. If I know I’m going to eat something that may be very high calorie, or a place with baskets of chips and whatnot on the table, I pre-eat. By that I mean about 30 minutes beforehand I have an ounce of raw almonds or a slice of whole grain high dietary fiber bread and chase it with a 12 ounce glass of water. That usually has me feeling half full, and it seems to wake up my “I don’t need any more food” mechanism a little faster than had I been stuffing my face with chips
Great idea, I work in sales and do alot of customer enteratianing. Which includes eating out, I do have tendency to overeat when I am out. If I follow your advice I will get full before I consume all that is put in front of me. I would rather have slice of high fiber bread and 1/2 a steak than a whole steak and no bread!

I buy this bread 5 or 6 loaves at a time. It's sproted whole grain. They make a "Low GI" version, but none of them are truly high GI. And they're very good. I usually keep them frozen with one loaf in the fridge and just toast it.

http://www.alvaradostreetbakery.com/

If you can't find it local and online is expensive (not sure about their shipping costs) just see what they have locally that is similar. Rudi's Bakery is EXCELLENT too. In fact, I probably like Rudi's better but they haven't been around (here) as long: 

http://www.rudisbakery.com/home
2009-04-23 6:50 PM
in reply to: #2106617

User image

Elite
Texas
Iron_Gus - 2009-04-23 6:22 PM

Bill - 2009-04-24 5:43 AM

We have a number of team members who are trying to lose a few pounds...

1) I try to never be hungry. When I'm hungry I tend to tear into whatever's in sight like a crazed animal. Loaves of bread, bags of chips, slow moving animals without too much hair to choke down... nothing is safe. So I avoid that situation as often as possible by eating throughout the day (the standard 5 or 6 smaller meals) and paying attention to my hunger level.

2) I “pre-eat” before going to restaurants...

3) I have learned to sloooooooooow down when I eat....

Bill, that is was me to a tee! My family would duck for cover whenever I mentioned I was going on a diet as they knew that it wouldn't be too long before I would inhale the first quadriped that came wandering into my range. I would start out limiting everything but by mid / late afternoon I was ready to demolish anything! And I ate at a furious pace. I'm sure the plate would be left spinning on the table (if it ever made the table) after I was finished. I soon reliased that I needed to slow down and try to recognise the 'not hungry' feeling so that I could stop eating. I am by no means perfect yet but my days of laying on the floor five minutes after a meal, trying to undo my pants and complainging about having eaten too much are definately over.

I also pre-eat if I know we are going out because I cannot always predict how long it will be before we eat and if it takes too long I end up ordering too much.

I also try and eat with company so that I don't get into a frenzy and eat too much.

Thanks for the article, it was very timely for me...

Funny you say that about making it to the table. I still have trouble with that if I under-eat.  I have my dinner while I'm making plates for my kids. But I cut myself off and force a "cooling off period".

Honestly I was conditioned to eat that way in the military. In fact in certain phases of my training we were forced to eat "10 step" meals. It's ten steps from the food line to the dirty plate depository. So we would inhale our food over those ten steps, drop off our plates, and get back outside. Good times...

I know it's a choice I make now. So I work to slow down. It's not easy. But it's worth it.

2009-04-23 8:38 PM
in reply to: #2079373

User image

Regular
Beaumont

Bill,

Do you subsrcibe to any particular "diet plan" such as the paleo diet for athletes, the zone diet, etc?  Has anyone else heard of these diets or tried them yourself?

2009-04-23 9:12 PM
in reply to: #2106910

User image

Elite
Texas
TBriggs - 2009-04-23 8:38 PM

Bill,

Do you subsrcibe to any particular "diet plan" such as the paleo diet for athletes, the zone diet, etc?  Has anyone else heard of these diets or tried them yourself?

You know, I may be without knowing I am. I am vaguely familiar with both of those diets, and I apply some of the concepts they discuss. My main issue is insulin. I make too much thanks to a benign tumor in my pancreas that produces the hormone in quantities greater than I need. But I know how to manage it with my diet.

My basic nutrition plan is this:

1) I eat breakfast every day. If I skip it, I'm playing catch up all day and I end up overeating for whatever reason.

2) I get protein and carbs with every meal. I try to eat them in the 4:1 ratio (4 gm carbs: 1 gm protein), unless it's a pre-race or pre-workout meal where I am eating a lot more carbs than normal.

3) I eat my BMR + my general activity calories (maybe 60-80 per hour at work) + plus my exercise calorie burned, minus 400. I'm still trying to cut weight.

4) I don't have a cheat day. I have a cheat meal maybe once a week, or maybe just a cheat item in a meal.

5) I don't consume empty calories like soda, sugar in my coffee, candy, etc. The nurses stations at the hospital are ALWAYS loaded with junkfood. If I succumb to the prodding and ridicule about being "too skinny", I break out my emergency stash of raw almonds and have a handful so I'm not getting a straight shot of pure sugar.

6) I make my food taste good. If I'm stuck with a frozen Lean Cuisine meal I make it "right" with herbs blends and sea salt to make it taste like actual food.

That's really it other than what I typed in today's tip. I don't know how I feel about specific diets. But I like the idea of following sound general principles at least 85% of the time or better. And that's what works best for me. I'm not hungry, I'm fueled for my workouts, and I'm losing weight. So I feel good about what I'm doing with nutrition at the moment.
I think everyone can find what works for them through disciplined practice (and patience).

2009-04-23 9:40 PM

User image

Master
Hamilton, Victoria

Nuts are something that I snack on also. Now I am aware of how many calories are in them I do limit them, but they are enxcellent snack. I particularly enjoy almonds as well and I get them raw and soak them (usually overnight) in a bowl of water so they absorb the water and 'plump' up. After being soaked in water they become very sweet and the texture changes for a bit of variety.

2009-04-23 9:51 PM
in reply to: #2107021

User image

Elite
Texas
Iron_Gus - 2009-04-23 9:40 PM

Nuts are something that I snack on also. Now I am aware of how many calories are in them I do limit them, but they are enxcellent snack. I particularly enjoy almonds as well and I get them raw and soak them (usually overnight) in a bowl of water so they absorb the water and 'plump' up. After being soaked in water they become very sweet and the texture changes for a bit of variety.

True, they are a very calorie dense food. Soaking them eh? I'll have to try that out. Funny... there was a day when I would have tried soaking them in beer first.
2009-04-23 11:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I try to have several meals through out the day and make sure that I always have healthy snacks on hand. I find that if I take the time to plan out my meals at the beginning of the day that I do much better than just winging it. Training definitely makes me feel hungry a lot not starving  but just that nawing feeling in the stomach pretty much constant. I try to eat something at least every 3 hours but sometimes by hour 2 I'm ready to eat again.
2009-04-24 8:55 AM

User image

Elite
Texas
Good morning everyone...

What's on tap for the weekend?

For me, Saturday will be Lactate Threshold testing on the bike in the morning. After that I'm helping a friend move. Sunday, long(ish) bike and swim, hopefully with my 9 year old daughter. Need to get her back in the pool. Her PB in the pool is 1000 yards.

Have a terrific weekend! I'll post the tip of the day shortly.
2009-04-24 11:01 AM

User image

Elite
Texas
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=88324#

^^^ Don't forget to pop in and insprie James. He's doing an Olympic tri this weekend.

Good luck james!

2009-04-24 11:32 AM
in reply to: #2107554

New user
Gautier, MS
Bill - 2009-04-24 8:55 AM Good morning everyone...

For me, Saturday will be Lactate Threshold testing on the bike in the morning. After that I'm helping a friend move. Sunday, long(ish) bike and swim, hopefully with my 9 year old daughter. Need to get her back in the pool. Her PB in the pool is 1000 yards.

Well, going swim this afternoon when my wife gets home from work.  Shooting for 30 minutes or so and going to try to push through the barrier of only doing a few laps without rest.

Saturday is my off day.  Playing in a golf tournament in the AM and going to a crawfish boil in the PM.  Will try to go light on the beer. 

Sunday is a run day for me so I plan to get in 45 minutes or so.  I'm two weeks from starting my 20 week oly plan so I am just working on maintaining my base and being ready for the 600/16/3.1 sprint on 5/30/09. 

This brings me to a question Bill.... if I start my 20 week plan on 5/4, I will be doing my sprint tri on the saturday of my 4th week (first taper week).  To me this lines up pretty good as far as my workouts go.  It gives me a little rest that week and should have me ready for the race.  I don't really plan to push myself too hard in the race, as it is my first one and I mainly want to get a feel for how everything works.  Does this seem to be good timing to throw in a race?
2009-04-24 11:33 AM

New user
Bill - 2009-04-24 8:55 AM What's on tap for the weekend?

Saturday I'm taking my first swim lesson at the Y. I'm getting there early in order to stength train as well. On Sunday, I have a 5K race which I'm riding to and is approximately 6 miles away from home so that will be a 12 mile ride round trip.
2009-04-24 11:46 AM

User image

Regular
Beaumont
Lactate threshold testing saturday morning, run later in the day. Sunday is long ride and swim.
2009-04-24 12:51 PM
in reply to: #2108067

User image

Elite
Texas
TBriggs - 2009-04-24 11:46 AM Lactate threshold testing saturday morning, run later in the day. Sunday is long ride and swim.

Ty your signature line matches well with the phrase "lactate threshold testing"...
2009-04-24 1:14 PM

User image

Elite
Texas
TIP OF THE DAY

I'm going to talk about PLANNING today, due to the fact that Cole asked an excellent question in that regard.

This brings me to a question Bill.... if I start my 20 week plan on 5/4, I will be doing my sprint tri on the saturday of my 4th week (first taper week).  To me this lines up pretty good as far as my workouts go.  It gives me a little rest that week and should have me ready for the race.  I don't really plan to push myself too hard in the race, as it is my first one and I mainly want to get a feel for how everything works.  Does this seem to be good timing to throw in a race?

I highlighted "taper week" to clarify the terms for you. Generally the taper is at the end of the 20 weeks, right before the "A" race. The week to which you're referring is a recovery week. To allow for the physiological adaptations that occur to produce fitness, we need to rest. Most plans are periodized (organized into time periods by type of training and goals) in a way that allows for this. So lets look at an example from my personal plan's Base I phase:

Base I:
Objective: Develop aerobic base

Week

Target

Hours

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

Sunday

BASE 1A

REST DAY

B: 1:00 E3

R: 1.5 M E2/S2

ST: 1:00

S: 0:30

B: 0:20 E1/S2

B: 0:40 E2

R: 6x200

B: 0:30 E3/S1

B: 1:30 E2/S2

R: 1.5 M TRNS

B: 0:30 E1

R: 5x400 @ 5k

BASE 1B

REST DAY

B: 1:15 E2/S1

R: 1.75M E2/S2

S: 0:45

B: 0:30 E1/S2

B: 1:15 E2/S1

R: 6x200 @5K

B:1:45 E3

R: 1.25 M TRNS.

R: 5x400 @ 5k pace

BASE 1C

REST DAY

B: 1:30 E2/S1

R: 2M E2/S2

B: 1:30 E2/S1

R: 6x200@5K

B: 2:00 E3

R: 1.5 M TRNS.

R: 7x400 @ 5k pace

BASE 1D

RECOVERY

REST DAY

B: 0:45 E2/S1

R: 2M E1

B: 0:45 E2/S1

R: 4x200 @5K

B:1:00 E3

R: 1.0 M TRNS.

R: 6x400 @ 5k pace

Notice the "Target Hours" column. During base phases I add hours each week until the Recovery week where I cut hours by half. The recovery week has plenty of workouts, but they are shorter and the are easier in terms of effort. There is still some work at intensity in there. But just in very general terms (until we get deeper into the concepts and terminology) suffice to say a recovery week is easier, but not as easy as total rest. You need to do some work at intensity during this week so you don't lose your sense of "feel" for what you're doing during normal training weeks. 

Does this seem to be good timing to throw in a race?

It's a fine time for a "C" priority race. Go out with the objective of having fun, getting a good workout, and accomplishing a small enabling goal. What do I mean by that? Basically what I'm saying is your Overall Goal of the season is to accomplish "X" at your "A Race". So you have a whole list of enabling goals (we'll lay those out here for everyone soon enough) that help you accomlpish that Overall Goal. So a good enabling goal for the first C race of the season could be anything from "finish the whole swim without any breaks" to "execute transitions flawlessly". Or it may be you want to hold a certain pace on the bike or run. A "C" race at the end of a recovery week is an excellent idea. Just have a goal. And have fun.

This is just the tip (of the tip, of the tip) of the iceberg as far as planning goes. But it's enough to answer Cole's question I hope.

As far as periodization goes, in the broader sense your entire annual plan is periodized if it's well designed. And I talk about what that means and how to do it when the planning sopic comes up again.

No go train, and have fun this weekend!

2009-04-24 2:50 PM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Wow, LT testing sounds like fun!

My weekend started today!!!  I got a long bike ride in today.  Tomorrow I decided to run the local 5K, but do it easy, then on Sunday I'll do a long(ish) run.  My pool is now closed so that they can take the bubble down, so swimming for the next couple of weeks will be an adventure.  OWS, here I come!

2009-04-24 3:43 PM
in reply to: #2108576

User image

Great Lakes Illinois
Sledge - 2009-04-24 2:50 PM

My weekend started today!!!  I got a long bike ride in today.  Tomorrow I decided to run the local 5K, but do it easy, then on Sunday I'll do a long(ish) run.  My pool is now closed so that they can take the bubble down, so swimming for the next couple of weeks will be an adventure.  OWS, here I come!

I just did some LT testing on my bike yesterday, and I don't believe "fun" is the correct adjective.

Edited by bluesman 2009-04-24 3:43 PM
2009-04-24 4:03 PM
in reply to: #2108685

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

bluesman - 2009-04-24 3:43 PM

I just did some LT testing on my bike yesterday, and I don't believe "fun" is the correct adjective.

Exactly! I like sarcasm, but sometimes it just misses the mark in the written word.

2009-04-24 7:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
What's on tap for the weekend

Friday- Rest day
Saturday- morning: run/bike brick evening: some cycling hill repeats on the Tempe International course (Only about 3 weeks away yikes!)
Sunday-Swimming and Strength
2009-04-24 7:29 PM
in reply to: #2108733

User image

Elite
Texas
Sledge - 2009-04-24 4:03 PM

bluesman - 2009-04-24 3:43 PM

Exactly! I like sarcasm, but sometimes it just misses the mark in the written word.

Cheri may have just earned a promotion to "BHOP Morale Coordinator".  You can wear a pin that says "Lactate testing IS fun, and will continue indefinitely until morale improves". 

2009-04-24 7:32 PM
in reply to: #2108997

User image

Elite
Texas
etselec444 - 2009-04-24 7:28 PM What's on tap for the weekend

Friday- Rest day
Saturday- morning: run/bike brick evening: some cycling hill repeats on the Tempe International course (Only about 3 weeks away yikes!)
Sunday-Swimming and Strength

This is an excellent time to do that. You're still building some fitness at this stage and it's not too close to the race day to impact your taper. AND, you get the psychological benefit of knowing the hills. Enjoy your ride!
2009-04-24 7:34 PM
in reply to: #2108026

User image

Elite
Texas
Chicago_Joe - 2009-04-24 11:33 AM
Bill - 2009-04-24 8:55 AM What's on tap for the weekend?

Saturday I'm taking my first swim lesson at the Y. I'm getting there early in order to stength train as well. On Sunday, I have a 5K race which I'm riding to and is approximately 6 miles away from home so that will be a 12 mile ride round trip.

Good luck with the swim lesson Joe! Any way you can strength train after the lesson? Form can be hard to get in the water when you're fatigued. I typically lift after I swim and it works well for me. Enjoy the 5K!
2009-04-24 8:28 PM

User image

Master
Hamilton, Victoria

My plan for the weekend was to rest both Saturday and Sunday as I pulled up a bit sub-standard after yesterday's ride. I slept in this morning so I feel better and I think I will go for an easy run today and rest tomorrow. My ride for Monday morning has been cancelled due to work commitments so I will run Monday morning and get back on track Tuesday. Good Weekend to all.

2009-04-24 10:38 PM

User image

Great Lakes Illinois
Hey Bill,
   I was reading one of my cycling magzines the other day, and I meant to make a post under your nutrition fact for the day.

http://www.bicycling.com/article/0,6610,s1-4-21-18998-1,00.html

I thought with a few of us coming up on a race, or just wanting general nutrition advice, this would be a good article. Basically it talks about steering away from the legendary pasta night before race day. It goes into some details about how a calorie is just a calorie and what not. It's dry reading, but good information to be armed with.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Bill's House of Pain-No Vacancy Rss Feed  

of 26