BT Development Mentor Program Archives » konichiwa's mentor group - Are we having fun yet? - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2009-06-04 1:25 PM
in reply to: #2192805

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
Subject: RE: eagleman

I was happy with my nutrition at Diamondman.  I target about 300-320cal/hr on the bike.  I weight 165lbs.  Hammer's recommendations for someone my size is fewer calories but I found threw trial-and-error that I feel better at 300+/hr on the bike. 

Perpetuem has some protein in it.  As does Sustained Energy.  According to Hammer, a little bit of protein helps for longer workouts.  I don't know if it definitely does, but if I mix 4-5 scoops of the plain with 5 servings of the gel (I like raspberry) in a blender with ice, then I can get all my calories into one 24oz bottle.  That I like.  A sip every 15min or so and water to hydrate in between based on thirst.  Prob ranges from 10-20oz of water/hr depending on the weather.  Then I add the Endurolytes b/c Perpetuem doesn't have many electrolytes.  I don't sweat a lot.  So I don't pop the endurolytes like crazy.  I know others who do.  Again, it's highly individual.

I use Heed on all my shorter rides and on oly distance races.  I usually drink some Heed after breakfast on race morning.  Heed is my favorite sports drink on the market.

At this point, I would try anything new on race day.  Stick with what you trained with and then experiment in training going fwd.

2009-06-04 4:56 PM
in reply to: #2195237

User image

Veteran
Manalapan, NJ
Hammer, heed, gel, bla, bla, bla.  I don't know what any of this stuff is (I assume some kind of sports food & drink).  Where would one go to sample/purchase these items?  Health food store, sporting goods, etc?

So much to know, so little time ....

P.S. thanks for the ebay tip regarding purchasing a bike.  There seems to be more possibilities than craigslist.  Now that I have passed my medical exam I will make acquiring a bike a priority.
2009-06-04 9:33 PM
in reply to: #2151526

New user

Dundas, Ontario, Canada
Subject: RE: konichiwa's mentor group - Are we having fun yet?

Hi Tim, I would definitley be interested in being mentored by yourself. Here is my information...

NAME: Dan Sobczak

STORY: All my life I have been what you call an all-round athlete. I have competed by playing competitive hockey, tennis, running high school cross country, and track and field. I have never competed in a triathlon before, but I am looking to begin racing this June. I feel that although I am not a bad runner, I feel that because I am naturally bigger and stronger than most runners, I may be able to use that to my advantage while competing in triathlons.

FAMILY STATUS: Single

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently, I train basically running ~ 40 km/week, swimming 3 times per week, and cycling when I am going from one place to another without a specific pace or distance in mind. I also play tennis 4-6 times per week.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: So far this year I have not competed in any races. My last race was a University Cross Country race in October where I ran a 22:00 6 km, which I was extremely disappointed with and after that I have was shelved with some minor but nagging injuries I had been suffering from for about a month. Since then I have just been putting in distance with limited speed work but I have been getting speed work from other sports like Ice Hockey and Tennis so I have not been too concerned about it.

2009 RACES:  
June - Ancaster Old Mill 5 km race, Guelph Lake Try-a-Tri
July - Belwood Try-a-Tri/Sprint (undecided yet on distance)
August - Dundas Cactus Festival Run 5 km

I have not planned past the summer in terms of races because it all depends on a) how my body is holding up, and b) if i decide to run University XC next year

WEIGHTLOSS: I feel right now that I am extremely fit and I have no plans on losing weight. I am a solid 165 lbs and stand 5'9".

So there is my info, now in terms of training. My first triathlon race will be Saturday June 20, and I'll be honest I have not yet done any bike workouts so I was wondering if you had any suggestions for anything I should do to prepare for the bike stage of the triathlon because due to the fact that I do not own a road bike, and the fact that I only bike casually, that is definitley my weakest part of the triathlon.

Also, should I look to rent a road bike for my first triathlon, or should I just race using my mountain bike? Keep in mind I am very competitive and do not want to have any reason to blame anything but myself for results that I am not happy with. Also, what price range should I be looking for when trying to rent a bike if that is what you recommend?

I realize these are a ton of questions, and I really appreciate your willingness to help others just like me who are new to the sport of triathlons. I look forward to hearing back from you and thanks again.

Dan

2009-06-05 8:36 AM

User image

Pro
Houston
Welcome to our little group Dan!

Tim is a weath of information and I'm a newbie so I'm not help at all Smile

Keri
2009-06-05 8:45 AM
in reply to: #2196314

User image

Veteran
Manalapan, NJ
Welcome Dan.  You are already running, swimming and biking on a somewhat regular basis (in addition to tennis & hockey)!  It sounds like you were born for a Triathlon!  I'm sure Tim can get you on the right track.

Best of luck!

- Charlie
2009-06-05 8:46 AM

User image

Regular
Frederick Maryland

Hey Dan!

Well, Tim is the man, but here is my opinion.....biking is the most critical part of triathlon, so don't cheat yourself in that area....whether it's training or equipment.  Bag the mountain bike and borrow a road bike, or rent a road bike.  Don't do the tri bike for your race.  Hoods are much easier than aerobars without any experience.  Get one now and ride it, just to get accustomed to it.  a little late for training!  and as Tim stated to me.....PACE THE BIKE.  Do not push it hard or you will find out fast that your running will suffer.

Good Luck!

2009-06-05 8:49 AM
in reply to: #2195852

User image

Veteran

fontaic - 2009-06-04 5:56 PM Hammer, heed, gel, bla, bla, bla.  I don't know what any of this stuff is (I assume some kind of sports food & drink).  Where would one go to sample/purchase these items?  Health food store, sporting goods, etc?.

Hammer is a product line of sports nutrition (see: http://www.hammernutrition.com/); Heed is their sports drink. They also make two other drinks for endurance training and racing, as Tim was saying before: Perpetuem and Sustained Energy. These are really only used for longer workouts.

The other really popular line of sports nutrition products (at least in the tri world) is Gu (see: http://www.guenergy.com/); Gu20 is their sports drink.

Depending on your local bike shop, they should have some sports nutrition available. Our bike shop sells individual packets, so you can buy a few flavors and brands to try. Another way you can get samples is sometimes at races, Hammer or Gu will throw in a few gels in your race bag. Not that I think its smart to try something new on race day, but you can save it to try during a training day later on.

I know that REI also carries sports nutrition; however, I have never seen it at Dick's or Sports Authority or more generic sports stores. You should also be able to get these products at your local running store as well.

2009-06-05 8:56 AM
in reply to: #2195852

User image

Regular
Frederick Maryland
If you order off of www.Hammernutrition.com, your first time they will give you some freebie product.  Try the gel sample pack...I think you get 10 gels for $7.95          Also, I don't have my customer number handy, but if you say that one of us referred you, you get an additional 15-20% off your order.

Gels have made a big difference for me.  My innards don't like solids when I work out!  (Maybe it's us big guys!)

Charlie2
2009-06-05 8:59 AM

User image

Veteran

D2J2S - 2009-06-04 10:33 PM

So there is my info, now in terms of training. My first triathlon race will be Saturday June 20, and I'll be honest I have not yet done any bike workouts so I was wondering if you had any suggestions for anything I should do to prepare for the bike stage of the triathlon because due to the fact that I do not own a road bike, and the fact that I only bike casually, that is definitley my weakest part of the triathlon.

Also, should I look to rent a road bike for my first triathlon, or should I just race using my mountain bike? Keep in mind I am very competitive and do not want to have any reason to blame anything but myself for results that I am not happy with. Also, what price range should I be looking for when trying to rent a bike if that is what you recommend?

Welcome, Dan! As Charlie suggested, I would try to borrow or rent a bike. You said it yourself that you are competitive, and you won't see many mountain bikes at a triathlon. With that in mind, I bet you would feel more comfortable on a road bike for the race. Check with your local bike shop to see if you can test ride a few bikes. Maybe they will let you put a deposit down to borrow one for the race, with the intention that you will then buy it. If you plan to do more tris, you will eventually need a road or tri bike anyway. You can put clip-ons on the road bike to practice getting aero, if you plan to race that way as well.

Tim is probably more equipped to give you suggestions as far as specific bike workouts, but you do have 15 days left until the race. If you feel that biking is your weakest leg, get out there and bike as much as you can! Try to get in 3 to 4 bike workouts per week for the next few weeks leading up to the race. Target 45-60 minute rides two or three times a week and perhaps a bit longer ride, 90 minutes to 105 minutes one a week. You can throw in some all-out, race pace efforts in there (for a couple minutes at a shot to start, working your way up to 10 minutes or so) as well.

Edited by gymnutt03 2009-06-05 9:06 AM
2009-06-05 11:00 AM
in reply to: #2196866

User image

Veteran
Manalapan, NJ
Thanks for the nutrition info gals & guys.  I have a technical question. 

I'm 5' 9.5" tall, my inseam is  32.5 "

Here is a bike frame chart that I came across on the internet:

Inseam   Frame inches    Frame Centimeters     Top tube size centimeters     Height
32.5       22.1                 56                              55.5                                      5' 8.75"
33          22.5                 57                              56                                         5' 9.5"

As you can see, I appear to fall between a 56 and 57 cm bike frame.  Other charts list a 56 cm frame if you are 5' 9" and a 57 cm frame if you are 5' 10".  Since I am between these two sizes, should I opt for the smaller (56 cm) or larger (57 cm) frame?

I am leaning toward the larger 57 cm frame size only because my boys are all taller than me (if they ever want to borrow my bike for a ride).

What do you all suggest?

Charlie1
2009-06-05 12:59 PM

User image

Pro
Houston
Charlie,
I am also 5'9" but my inseam is a full inch longer and I have a 56cm bike and now that I have a truer tri fit I know this is the right size for me.
I would think a 57 would be too big for you - you can always bump your seat up.  Also go to a few bike shops and try the different sizes.  You want to make sure you can clear the frame.

Edited by KeriKadi 2009-06-05 1:01 PM

2009-06-05 1:26 PM

User image

Pro
Houston
Today at the pool -
Doing my first 300 I thought I was having one of those days that we all have.  I was sucking!  I didn't feel coordinated, I felt like my tempo was off, I felt slow and sluggish.  I told myself it's because of my long run yesterday and everybody has an 'off' day right?
But today is going to be my long swim and if I was going to suck for an hour, so be it.

I timed my second 300 and came in at 6:47 which is fast for me, well, faster anyway.  So I stop beating myself up about sucking so bad and just keep swimming. 

A woman in the lane next to me started chatting, she is a swimmer, has about 5+ years on me but she was on a swim team, coached, been swimming for 40 years or so.  So we chat and I tell her about my upcoming tri etc.

Then we both start swimming.... I swam a nice, slow, easy 300 and when I stopped she stopped and she told me I had a beautiful stroke and a nice kick!  OMG!  I never in a million years thought I would hear these words, ever.  I thanked her and she was surprised I've only been swimming for about 3 months.  It was nice to hear.  Then I decided there should be mirrors on the bottom of the pool so we can check our form.  How conceited am I????  LOL
2009-06-05 2:08 PM
in reply to: #2197268

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA

Charlie1 -

As far as bike sizing, I don't think its quite as easy plugging your height and inseam into a chart.  That'll get you close but it won't guarantee the best size.  For example, I am 6' and ride a 56cm Specialized Tarmac road bike.  I previously rode a 58cm Trek but found it was a bit too long.  One of my challenges is I am relatively long-legged and short-torso'd.  That's the reason I moved from a 58 to a 56.  When I bought the 58 it was more of a quick "stand over the top tube" fitting.  Granted it was my first road bike.  When I bought the Specialized I was a much more knowledgable consumer and got a much better fit...full fit with saddle height, stem height/pitch, etc.

One thing people say about bike sizes is; "it's easier to make a small bike bigger than to make a big bike smaller".  If you are purchasing a bike online, and purchasing a brand that you can't test ride locally, then I'd probably opt for the smaller. 

Ultimately 1cm of top tube length (or 0.5cm in this case) can easily be adjusted by a shorter/longer stem.  Ya one frame might feel better and handle better, but those are subjective especially on two frames so close in size.

-Tim

2009-06-05 2:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA

Welcome Dan.  Glad you can join the group. 

Group -

I am out of town on business today, but hopefully I'll be able to catch up some more over the wknd or at the airport.

Train smart & train hard,

-Tim

2009-06-05 2:20 PM
in reply to: #2197822

User image

Veteran
Manalapan, NJ
Valuable information Tim & Keri (Thanks).  I am considering purchasing a bike on-line and will now opt for the smaller frame. 

Thanks again! -- charlie1
2009-06-05 2:55 PM

New user

Tennessee
Thanks for the food advice.  I'm definitely going to try out what you said and see if it works for me.

2009-06-05 2:56 PM
in reply to: #2197865

User image

Regular
Frederick Maryland
Charlie1,

I agree with Tim.  I'm 6'2" 210 and believe it or not ride a 58cm.  All the sizing sites, literature etc. screamed 60cm or even 61cm.    But I went to a LBS and sure enough, raised seat and longer stem was the deal.

Also, bear in mind that EBay and online, the vast majority of choices will be 56s and 58s.  not a lot of 57s.
2009-06-05 3:18 PM
in reply to: #2197700

User image

Veteran

KeriKadi - 2009-06-05 2:26 PM Today at the pool -
A woman in the lane next to me started chatting, she is a swimmer, has about 5+ years on me but she was on a swim team, coached, been swimming for 40 years or so.  So we chat and I tell her about my upcoming tri etc.

Then we both start swimming.... I swam a nice, slow, easy 300 and when I stopped she stopped and she told me I had a beautiful stroke and a nice kick!  OMG!  I never in a million years thought I would hear these words, ever.  I thanked her and she was surprised I've only been swimming for about 3 months.  It was nice to hear.  Then I decided there should be mirrors on the bottom of the pool so we can check our form.  How conceited am I????  LOL

Keri, that is awesome! Its always nice to have some positive feedback and reinforce you knowing that your training is going in the right direction! VERY COOL!!!

2009-06-06 10:58 AM
in reply to: #2197995

User image

Pro
Houston

Thanks Laura!

Anybody in our group racing this weekend?

I went for my long (for me) ride this morning my quest to find comfort for my girlie parts continues.Frown

2009-06-06 3:07 PM
in reply to: #2198974

User image

Veteran
Bridgewater MA
Subject: Re: anyone else racing this weekend
Well, I threw caution to the wind, and ran my scheduled 10k this morning.  Sore left knee and all.  Favoring my left knee caused some new pain in right calf, but I ran a very good race for me.  While I had set an arbitrary 50 minute goal for the 6.2 miles, I ended at 50:23 and an 8:08 min/mile pace.  Now, I need to rest the legs for a couple of days.
What really pushed me to run was the strong desire to have a 10k qualifying time for a big race later this summer.  They seed/start runners based on times.  Last year, my first running the Falmouth Road Race, I was in the main field, and thus had to fight through thousands of runners for the entire 7.1 mile race.  Hoping that my 10k race time will allow me to start not with elite runners, but with the second group of runners.

p.s. Way to go Keri!
2009-06-06 6:15 PM

Hi everyone...

I'm 58 years old, married to Andy and have 3 children. My daughter Chris is 40 with 3 boys and my two sons are 23 and 20. Have been fairly active all my life until 5 years ago or so. Couldn't get motivated. My daughter showed my a Total Immersion Swimming DVD which got me started. BTW I'm a big fan of Total Immersion. I have their swimming DVDs and have taken lessons at one of their studios. Well, it took me 8 months from couch potato to swimming my first mile in a pool. Bought a bike and started riding. Last year my friends convinced me to sign up for my first tri.

I love tris, but realized that more training would reduce my anxiety and I could have a whole lot more fun. I've started slow, because I'm still building endurance and have a bunch more weight to loss.

Just finished my first tri for 2009. A 20 min improvement over last year. Now I'm ready to change my training to include some running and weight training.

I'll going to look at the training plans to see what I can piece together...

Thanks
Chris

2009-06-06 10:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
Subject: RE: konichiwa's mentor group - Are we having fun yet? - FULL

Our group is full....here is an updated list.

konichiwa - Tim
gymnutt03 - Laura
kerikadi - Keri
mrtimbo - Tim
Cubacheski - Bryan
joeyg - Joey
URGuilty - Charlie2
fontaic - Charlie1
wkwl2714 - Andrew
D2J2S - Dan
wellsinct - Chris

Edited by konichiwa 2009-06-06 11:08 PM
2009-06-06 11:12 PM
in reply to: #2198974

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA

Charlie2 -

Do you have a bib number yet for Eagleman?  I'll certainly be checking in next weekend to see how it goes.

http://ironman.com/events/ironman70.3/eagleman70.3

-Tim

Edited by konichiwa 2009-06-06 11:16 PM
2009-06-07 8:39 PM
in reply to: #2199242

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
Subject: Re: anyone else racing this weekend

Joey -

Congrats on the 10k.  I think that time should get you out of the main field and up front a bit.

-Tim

2009-06-07 8:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA

Hey Dan -

I'd try to rent/borrow a road bike for your first race or throw some slicks on your mtn bike.  I wouldn't worry too much about where you finish in your first race.  Go out give it your best.  Some ppl will finish in front of you and based on your fitness most will probably be behind you.  Just go out and have fun.

If you really like the tri, then I'd consider getting a road bike.  Depending on your financial situation you can buy something used or new. 

When you get a chance, try to add the members of our group as friends so you can share your workout logs

-Tim

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » konichiwa's mentor group - Are we having fun yet? - FULL Rss Feed  

of 19