Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2009-12-20 7:50 PM
in reply to: #2555870

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Experior's Group - CLOSED
Hey guys!
Sorry I've been MIA. The pictures of the snow are incredible! Amazingly, here in upstate NY, we have none.
I'm finally feeling better, and managed to get some time in on the bike today. Unfortunately, I now have a sick 7 year old, and a heart broken 19 year old- she just heard that a friend from HS died in a car accident last night. No details, but alcohol is suspected. So, I've been spending extra time with both of my girls, wishing I could make life  better for each of them today.
Michael-The interval training info was great. Thanks. Whenever I try them, I always feel lazy when I slow way down during rests. It's good to know I'm supposed to slow down that much.

2009-12-20 8:11 PM
in reply to: #2569770

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
juneapple - 2009-12-20 12:33 PM
Yeah, it's great, isn't it!  They did a nice job with balancing the pros with the age-grouper/human interest.  About an hour in, I always feel like it is two different shows... "the race" and "the story"... and then the pros start struggling in the run, former champions searching for shade under a telephone pole, leaders limping and cramping, and then it hits you... they've all got stories.  1800 stories all hurdling toward a goal that started years earlier, not at dawn the day of the race.  Rudy and the woman who came back from a stroke were the two that did me in this year.  And then there are the passing interviews that hit you later, like the 79 year old guy who was working on #20... and then later that night, wham! like a ton of bricks... 79!!!!  20 straight iron man finishes... are you kidding me????  I was also struck by the intensity of the look on Alexander's face at the finish and how it contrasted with Wellington's ever-present smile.  Alexander looked so relaxed on the run... but at the end... woah, what an Ironman look in the eyes.  Both ran amazing races.  Incredible.  Just incredible.  But my favorite part every year are the pictures of the age group finishers... hands raises in victory, smiles on their faces, relief and joy in a triumph of a lifetime.

If you haven't yet done so, take a few hours and read some of the race reports on BT from this year's race.  And somewhere in these mentor groups are several future Kona finishers.  Someone who was overweight and out of shape and decided on a different path... and finds himself/herself hurdling towards Kona.

I watched Kona again tonight. My family thinks I'm nuts! : ) But, I am just so inspired. If you look at my life a year ago, my biggest dream was to be off vicadin and to be able to walk without the severe limp which I had for 15+ years.  Now I'm running, cycling, swimming and dreaming of being an Ironman someday.  I can't wait to look at the RR's from Kona here in BT.
I am so thankful I found BT and really appreciate everyones willingness to share their experiences.

Phil
2009-12-20 9:50 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Experior (Michael

I learn something new about BT everyday.  I didn't realize you were commenting on our workouts until I looked at "Inspire Me" and it said 1.  Thanks for the comments and Cudo's.  I like to Core Workouts on BT.  They are short and sweet and at the end I really feel like I did something.  I tried the weights, but it began to tear down my body.  I used to lift a lot of heavy weights in college and I certainly don't need bigger body mass so the Core Workouts are great for balance and strength in the right places.
2009-12-20 10:27 PM
in reply to: #2570227

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
slow turtle - 2009-12-20 7:50 PM Hey guys!
Sorry I've been MIA. The pictures of the snow are incredible! Amazingly, here in upstate NY, we have none.
I'm finally feeling better, and managed to get some time in on the bike today. Unfortunately, I now have a sick 7 year old, and a heart broken 19 year old- she just heard that a friend from HS died in a car accident last night. No details, but alcohol is suspected. So, I've been spending extra time with both of my girls, wishing I could make life  better for each of them today.
Michael-The interval training info was great. Thanks. Whenever I try them, I always feel lazy when I slow way down during rests. It's good to know I'm supposed to slow down that much.

I'm so sorry, that's terrible to hear about such a young persons death. I'm glad you're feeling better, your children will need your support.
2009-12-21 5:23 AM
in reply to: #2570170

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
TriGuyBri - 2009-12-20 8:04 PM
Experior - 2009-12-20 4:31 PM
TriGuyBri - 2009-12-20 5:53 PM Was able to get my long run in this afternoon between showers.  Right when I got back it started to pour down again.  Someone is looking out for me.  Ran about 6 miles at an average 9:47 pace which is pretty good for me.  Training for a
10K on the 17th of Jan; goal is to break 1 hour which I believe I can do right now, but you never know on race day. 

Right now I am going to go out to the local Sports Authority Store and pick up another pair of running shoes.  They have a sale on Asics 2140's for about $70.00.  I wear 4eee width and my second pair of running shoes (Asics Gel Cumulus) are just to narrow for me to run in.  My small toenail actually turned black and just fell off from my Sprint Tri in early Sept.  Need a wider pair.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Asics 2140's?  I believe the were rated as a best buy by Runner's World in Spring 2009.

I'd say that a 1 hour 10K is in the bag, given your training times.  Nice going!

I wore Asics for a while, and liked them a lot.  I'm transitioning to very low cushion shoes (for no other reason than that I'm intrigued by the idea, and I like having less weight on my feet), so no more Asics, but I definitely liked them, and $70 is a good price.

My second toenail has fallen off more times than I can recall.  I guess it comes with the territory...

I was thinking the same thing about the 1 hr. 10K goal.  I'll see where I am at prior to race time and set a goal that will test and push me some.  I want to stay with Asics as well.  I like them alot.  Unfortunately Spts Auth. didn't ahve much in stock so I am going to the Local Running Store Downtown and use my 10% off for being a Tri Club member and see what they have.  It may mean buying a more expensive shoe, but at least I'll being buying local, supporting local and buying from a sponser of our Tri Club.

I think it is always good to have three goals.  My first goal is always "what I hope to do, if all of the starts are aligned"; my second goal is "what I'd be willing to bet on, given my training", and my third goal is always "enjoy the day; remember to have fun".  If I meet either of my first two goals, the third will happen automatically, but the third is the most important!
2009-12-21 5:24 AM
in reply to: #2570227

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
slow turtle - 2009-12-20 8:50 PM Hey guys!

Glad you're feeling better. So sorry to hear of the other troubles.  Best wishes.

2009-12-21 5:26 AM
in reply to: #2570244

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
StlPhil - 2009-12-20 9:11 PM

I watched Kona again tonight. My family thinks I'm nuts! : ) But, I am just so inspired. If you look at my life a year ago, my biggest dream was to be off vicadin and to be able to walk without the severe limp which I had for 15+ years.  Now I'm running, cycling, swimming and dreaming of being an Ironman someday.  I can't wait to look at the RR's from Kona here in BT.
I am so thankful I found BT and really appreciate everyones willingness to share their experiences.

Phil

Me too!  It makes me want to do IM again this year.  Almost.  But I'm sticking to the plan.  Must. Stick. To. The. Plan.
2009-12-21 5:31 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Welcome to Christmas week, everyone.  Here's hoping it will be a good one.  What's on tap?

For me:  The pool closes on the 23rd until Jan 4, so I'm going to try to get 2 really solid swims in before I can't swim again for 10 days.  Other than that, I'll continue with the Jorge bike/torture program, and continue building my run miles.  I'll get to see my new (and only) nephew in a few days.  Other than that, Christmas is going to be low-key around here this year.

Have a great day, everyone.
2009-12-21 7:07 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Here was yesterday's workout for me... digging out our cars.  We live about 1/2 mile from the state maintained road.  Our dirt road has been plowed thanks to our neighbor's John Deere, but the "main" road was still unplowed as of last night.  Road crews here haven't had time to get to secondary roads due to the focus on the highways and primary roads (not to mention clearing stranded vehicles).  Also did a bit of unplanned gutter repair as the snow careened off our metal roof.  On the plus side, I was able to clean them out easily by standing on the snow piles :-)  If our road gets plowed, I may venture out mid-day for groceries and possibly a workout.  Staying at home is not good for eating and exercise routines.  Anyway, here's the last snow photo (I promise) to encourage all of you who have clear roads for now, to get on out there and make up for us couch potatoes!

(cars2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
cars2.jpg (76KB - 16 downloads)
2009-12-21 8:00 AM

User image

Expert
Stu- That is some serious snow! I think it counts as a work out.

For me, I'm hoping for a run today. I might lose a lung in the process, but it'll be worth it!

I didn't get to see any of the Kona race. I never turn the TV on, so it wasn't something I was thinking about. It sounds like it was a great show.

Thanks every one for the kind words. It's been a few days when I've had to practice biting my tongue, because I've suspected for a couple of years that the young man who died, was some one who drove quite dangerously. So, part of my brain was thinking, "I'm not surprised" when I heard of his death. It's a terrible thought- and not a helpful one, so I don't voice it to my daughter.
2009-12-21 10:01 AM
in reply to: #2570526

User image

Expert
Salem
Experior - 2009-12-21 3:31 AM Welcome to Christmas week, everyone.  Here's hoping it will be a good one.  What's on tap?

For me:  The pool closes on the 23rd until Jan 4, so I'm going to try to get 2 really solid swims in before I can't swim again for 10 days.  Other than that, I'll continue with the Jorge bike/torture program, and continue building my run miles.  I'll get to see my new (and only) nephew in a few days.  Other than that, Christmas is going to be low-key around here this year.

Have a great day, everyone.

Will be going to the gym to do my Core Workout this evening and maybe a short swim with some drills built in; nothing to exhausting.

2009-12-21 10:51 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Wii killed my knee - Any advice?

So we bought our kids a Wii and the Wii Fit this year.  I've used it off and on - it's more 'fun' than 'exercise', but we all enjoy it.  Last week, my daughter challenged me to a Super Hula Hoop contest (the user stands on the balance board and spins their hips to keep a virtual Hula Hoop spinning around on the screen - 90 seconds in one direction, then 90 seconds in the other).  Being a slightly competitive person, I was aiming for the top spot in the standings.

Well, the good news is that I won: 777 Hula Hoop revolutions in 3 minutes and a top, 4-star rating.

The bad news is that my left knee has bothered me every day since. 

I tried running the day after my Hula Hoop championship, but my knee hurt even more (note: I have never had any pain in my knees as I ramped up my running from 0 to 12 miles / week in the past 3 months).  In the grand scheme, it's probably not a big issue; it is a very, very mild constant ache during the day; I can definitely live with it.  However, I am trying to be as conservative as possible right now as I only began running frequently for the first time in my life 3 months ago and I have 139 days before my first Sprint.

Besides not running for a couple of weeks (which, given the holidays isn't out of the question), do any of you have any advice on how to best recover?

Thanks!
- Mark

Edited by OneFastMule 2009-12-21 10:54 AM
2009-12-21 11:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
Here's my workout yesterday, not sure whether to call it resistance or aerobic training. Guess I'll just say cross training!

The walkway to our driveway, for reference, the dog is about 60 lbs

Edited by Sammeg 2009-12-21 12:04 PM
2009-12-21 11:25 AM

User image

Expert
West Palm Beach, FL
I can't believe these snow pictures! It's exactly why I left the NorthEast for Florida 5 years ago. I did an AM ride today @ 45 degrees and I thought I was gonna die. I think it's amazing that you all can train in the winter with all that weather.
2009-12-21 12:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
Michael, Thanks for the great explanation of interval training. Clears alot of confusion up for me.
2009-12-21 1:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA

Ain't snow great?  It forced me to do a mental workout as well as a physical one today.  I wouldn't feel safe running in the road right now, mostly because there's no place to bail out if a moron comes by in a car and isn't paying attention.  I also LOATHE treadmills.  But I did get my run in that was postponed yesterday.  I went to the Y and ran on the indoor track.  The track is 1/16 of a mile.  I ran 9 miles.  Fun fun fun!

Hope everyone that had to shovel isn't having any snow related aches and pains...

Scout

2009-12-21 1:35 PM
in reply to: #2571395

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
scout21 - 2009-12-21 1:18 PM

Ain't snow great?  It forced me to do a mental workout as well as a physical one today.  I wouldn't feel safe running in the road right now, mostly because there's no place to bail out if a moron comes by in a car and isn't paying attention.  I also LOATHE treadmills.  But I did get my run in that was postponed yesterday.  I went to the Y and ran on the indoor track.  The track is 1/16 of a mile.  I ran 9 miles.  Fun fun fun!

Hope everyone that had to shovel isn't having any snow related aches and pains...

Scout

Wow,  144 laps? That is a mental workout, way to tough it out.
2009-12-21 3:29 PM
in reply to: #2571072

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Wii killed my knee - Any advice?
OneFastMule - 2009-12-21 11:51 AM

So we bought our kids a Wii and the Wii Fit this year.  I've used it off and on - it's more 'fun' than 'exercise', but we all enjoy it.  Last week, my daughter challenged me to a Super Hula Hoop contest (the user stands on the balance board and spins their hips to keep a virtual Hula Hoop spinning around on the screen - 90 seconds in one direction, then 90 seconds in the other).  Being a slightly competitive person, I was aiming for the top spot in the standings.

Well, the good news is that I won: 777 Hula Hoop revolutions in 3 minutes and a top, 4-star rating.

The bad news is that my left knee has bothered me every day since. 

I tried running the day after my Hula Hoop championship, but my knee hurt even more (note: I have never had any pain in my knees as I ramped up my running from 0 to 12 miles / week in the past 3 months).  In the grand scheme, it's probably not a big issue; it is a very, very mild constant ache during the day; I can definitely live with it.  However, I am trying to be as conservative as possible right now as I only began running frequently for the first time in my life 3 months ago and I have 139 days before my first Sprint.

Besides not running for a couple of weeks (which, given the holidays isn't out of the question), do any of you have any advice on how to best recover?

Thanks!
- Mark

I was laughing until the injury part!  I've never seen the Wii things, but I've heard they are a lot of fun.

139 days is forever.  I had knee surgery a few years ago (before I started any of this -- it was during PT that I resolved to get my rear end moving) and the doctor (who is a very highly respected sport ortho who specializes in knees) gave me a few pieces of advice.  Obviously, this advice may or may not apply to your case, but I've listened to it whenever I have any lingering aches that seem injury-like, and it has worked out well for me:

1.  Do not engage in any exercise that makes the injured part feel worse several hours after stopping.  (I.e., if it hurts during and right afterwards, that might be fine; but if the pain continues for several hours, that is not fine.)

2.  Do not engage in any exercise when the pain of the injured part forces you to change your form.  (E.g., if you can maintain your normal running gait through the pain, that might be fine; if you cannot, that is not fine.)

3.  DO engage in any form of exercise that does not cause pain.  Exercise (so long as you are not SERIOUSLY stressing your body) helps heal the body.

2009-12-21 3:33 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
scout21 - 2009-12-21 2:18 PM

Scout

Oh, I feel for you.  I've done similar things.  I once did a 10 mile run on a 1/7 mile track, and last summer, I had to watch my kids while doing a 17 mile run, so I had them playing in the yard while I ran around my block (1/3 mile).  Fun times!

But 1/16 mile??? Wow.  You must have felt like you were spinning in place!
2009-12-21 7:09 PM

User image

Expert
scout21 - 2009-12-21 2:18 PM

Scout

I would've felt like a gerbil by the 10th lap
How the heck did you manage to keep count of your laps?
2009-12-21 8:36 PM
in reply to: #2572002

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
slow turtle - 2009-12-21 7:09 PM
How the heck did you manage to keep count of your laps?

I only counted to 16, but I did that 9 times.  It was a very boring run.  At least there were guys on the b-ball court keeping me entertained.  College kids can be very funny without trying to be...

Scout

2009-12-21 10:57 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
I had a heck of a time finding Running Shoes.  I ended up ordering a pair of Asics 2150's and spent a little more than I expected; with the 10% discount for Local Tri Club Members it will bring it down a little.  The local Running Shop didn't carry 4eee width in the 2140's.  Tried on a pair of the 1140's in 4eeee width just to get a sense of how they 2150's might feel and they seem to be OK, enough room.  Didn't want to go with the 1140's.  I hope they work out OK.
2009-12-22 6:42 AM
in reply to: #2572364

User image

Expert
TriGuyBri - 2009-12-21 11:57 PM I had a heck of a time finding Running Shoes.  I ended up ordering a pair of Asics 2150's and spent a little more than I expected; with the 10% discount for Local Tri Club Members it will bring it down a little.  The local Running Shop didn't carry 4eee width in the 2140's.  Tried on a pair of the 1140's in 4eeee width just to get a sense of how they 2150's might feel and they seem to be OK, enough room.  Didn't want to go with the 1140's.  I hope they work out OK.

Good luck with the new shoes. Finding the right pair can be a real PITA. They are worth spending the money on.
2009-12-22 8:44 AM
in reply to: #2572484

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
slow turtle - 2009-12-22 6:42 AM
TriGuyBri - 2009-12-21 11:57 PM I had a heck of a time finding Running Shoes.  I ended up ordering a pair of Asics 2150's and spent a little more than I expected; with the 10% discount for Local Tri Club Members it will bring it down a little.  The local Running Shop didn't carry 4eee width in the 2140's.  Tried on a pair of the 1140's in 4eeee width just to get a sense of how they 2150's might feel and they seem to be OK, enough room.  Didn't want to go with the 1140's.  I hope they work out OK.

Good luck with the new shoes. Finding the right pair can be a real PITA. They are worth spending the money on.

Big +1 on that.  The saucony's that I have now are okay, but I'll definitely be going back to my Aasics for my next pair.

Scout
2009-12-22 9:06 AM
in reply to: #2572714

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
scout21 - 2009-12-22 9:44 AM
slow turtle - 2009-12-22 6:42 AM

Big +1 on that.  The saucony's that I have now are okay, but I'll definitely be going back to my Aasics for my next pair.

Scout

+2.  And why do the shoe companies keep changing them up?  When I first started, I was forced (because of 'discontinued models') to change models 3 times, even though I was happy with the ones I first had.

Christmas is coming soon!  What's on tap for today?

Slow day for me today.  I was up all night with two sick children.  Fortunately, the eldest got up quietly and didn't disturb the other two, so I and they were able to sleep a little this morning.  Bike trainer later tonight.

Edited by Experior 2009-12-22 9:07 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 46