BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2010-01-04 10:54 PM
in reply to: #2593624

Subject: RE: kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!!
selonimes - 2010-01-04 6:59 PM Anyone have any suggestions regarding lower back pain while jogging? I have extra weight which once I lose that I know will help, but since many of us have had weight loss success, I wondered if there is something that can help to ease the pain that can creep in. Niasa- Good luck with the move!!

Buddy of mine swears by chiropractor????

2010-01-05 8:05 AM
in reply to: #2578675

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Subject: RE: kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!!
I had 35 years of back pain from an industrial accident aggravated by weight. Lost the weight and started going to a chiropractor about 5 months ago.  She took me form 95% pain to 99% pain-free.  Waiting to see how it translates on the TT bike.  I need a new fit session on my road bike because it started to hurt after 50 miles at the end of the riding year.    
2010-01-05 8:53 AM
in reply to: #2593612

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

niasa - 2010-01-04 6:52 PM Ok, so I'm a little late on the posts. i am trying to move a 3 bedroom house right now into storage and then move it to a new house in another state. All my stuff is everywhere. My goals for this month is to get settled into a new house. I count packing and moving boxes through the house and up/down stairs as part of my "new" workout....lol. I do try to concentrate on form and function. It's my strength workouts..and I do try to work continuously for at least 30 minutes at a time. My bike right now is in GA and my trainer is in AL. I plan on taking it back with me and at least I can start riding. My apt has a treadmill, so I will make time for that also. I guess my other goal is to start getting into a routine. I work nights, so it's difficult sometimes to get the sleep/work/exercise "thing" down, especially with 12 hour shifts. I will be back in GA on Thursday and as much as I would like to get outside to at least walk, I HATE cold weather and we're getting hit pretty hard (for us) right now. Highs in the 20's do not do it for me...lol. Alright, check back with all of you tomorrow.

Its tough to get it all in when you are busy, but it is important that you schedule some time every day for YOU!! An hour in the morning or evening, when you take care of yourself.  Take advantage of the treadmill if it is too cold.  It is too easy to let people pull you away from your goals so don't let them!

2010-01-05 8:57 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

selonimes - 2010-01-04 6:59 PM Anyone have any suggestions regarding lower back pain while jogging? I have extra weight which once I lose that I know will help, but since many of us have had weight loss success, I wondered if there is something that can help to ease the pain that can creep in. Niasa- Good luck with the move!!

You are right about the weight loss helping, but I would echo the suggestions of the chiropractor if it persists.  Some of it is because you are asking your body to do things it hasn't done a lot of in a while.  That is why following the plan is a good thing as it shouldn't ask you to do things you are risking injury with.  After warming up some, make sure to stretch easy too.  Never stretch cold, but after some walking or some other form of warming up easy stretching will help loosen things up.

2010-01-05 8:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Great advice Ken.  I started yoga in the past two months too.   Great stretching exercises.  Easy does it.
2010-01-05 9:20 AM

User image

Anyone have any advice for running outside in the cold?  I'm going to be visiting family in Indianapolis for a week and won't have access to a treadmill.  I'll have access to an elliptical and a recumbent exercise bike. I am thinking of mixing up running outside, elliptical, and bike.  I've never run outside when it's below about 40 degrees. Thanks!

2010-01-05 9:33 AM
in reply to: #2594750

geoffgm - 2010-01-05 10:20 AM Anyone have any advice for running outside in the cold?  I'm going to be visiting family in Indianapolis for a week !

I'm just 45 miles west of Indy, and our temperatures are in single digits with wind chill (frost bite), my advise is "STAY INDOORS". But then again, when it comes to cold, I'm the biggest sissy you'll meet.

However if you insist, dress in layers. Get some realllllll good gloves, and something to cover the face and head. If going out in this temp is a bit much, you could ask the BT Indiana forum where they all go to run indoors.

On second thought,,, STAY INDOORS!!!! Just the thought of facing that bitter cold for a run makes me shiver.

Edited by DougJ 2010-01-05 10:09 AM
2010-01-05 9:51 AM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

I have been battling back issues for over a year now (14 month but who's counting).  Turns out it was a herniated L5-S1 disc.  Not wanting surgery I opted for a chiro as well.  They did decompression therapy (think being stretched on a rack) and it took from from 6/10 pain to 1/10 pain.  It was amazing.  IO took 3 sessions a week (30 mis per session) for several weeks but I was almost pain free.

I then re injured it about 2-3 months ago and am working on getting ti back to square one.  If you get it working just don;t be stupid like me and try to to go back at it 100% before you are ready.
2010-01-05 10:00 AM

User image

New user
My trainer said what I thought about the weight. She also said to add more dynamic stretching to loosen up the lower back. She suspects that in addition to the weight, since I have not been a jogger, that the muscles in my legs are also causing the lower back to just tighten. So she got on me about dynamic stretching vs static. Gonna try all those things and take it one step at a time! I have to say I dont miss the cold weather but in a few months I will be begging for the cold to come back down here!!!
2010-01-05 10:15 AM
in reply to: #2594795

I'm finding the layering really works for me. Definately cover your face, last night I had mini icicles hanging from my eyelashes. I'm not running yet and am finding that footing is the main issue. It's slippery up here in the great white north, so for right now I'm sporting some major treaded hiking boots to trudge around. I'm a beginner so I don't know much about training yet, but the thought of running miles on a treadmill doesn't appeal to me in the least.
2010-01-05 10:22 AM
in reply to: #2594871

Hey Dan,
Sorry to hear about your back...I've been there before. Chiro worked for me, just no cracking.

2010-01-05 1:36 PM
in reply to: #2594685

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

IceManScott - 2010-01-05 9:59 AM Great advice Ken.  I started yoga in the past two months too.   Great stretching exercises.  Easy does it.

I have been meaning to try yoga for the last couple of years and just never have.  I have a workout DVD set with strength and plyometrics that I like to do when I have time.  It has a stretching/yoga routine, but it isn't pure yoga it just steals some moves.  I really need to do try yoga, maybe the Y has something when I get home from the marathon.

Good for you for doing it, I think there is a lot of value in that, especially for those of us that got a later than normal start to this!

2010-01-05 1:46 PM
in reply to: #2594750

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

geoffgm - 2010-01-05 10:20 AM Anyone have any advice for running outside in the cold?  I'm going to be visiting family in Indianapolis for a week and won't have access to a treadmill.  I'll have access to an elliptical and a recumbent exercise bike. I am thinking of mixing up running outside, elliptical, and bike.  I've never run outside when it's below about 40 degrees. Thanks!

Bah, don't listen to Doug running in the cold is fun if you prepare.  We have a race series in Rochester called the Freezeroo with 6 races from the middle of December till the end of Feb.  Last year I think 4 of them started at 5 degrees or below.  You just have to be prepared.

Like was mentioned, dress in layers with good breathable running pants and long sleeve shirts.  A hat and gloves are a must, but I don't usually cover my face, but I know some that do.    The final thing to be careful with is watching your footing if there is ice and snow. 

A good rule of thumb for whether you are dressed right is if you can go outside and be cold, but not shaking cold.  You will warm up fairly quickly once you start running.

All that said, all the tech gear is not cheap even if you buy the C9 product at Target, so if you are only going to use it for a week it may be financially more prudent to use the elliptical.

2010-01-05 9:31 PM

Regular
OK, got my butt on the treadmill today.  Only about 30 mins, but I do remember that it feels pretty good to sweat....at least in the beginning, lol.  I just wish the pounds would come off as fast as my mind thinks they do.  Hope you all had a good day, check in tomorrow.Smile
2010-01-06 4:56 AM
in reply to: #2595589

Any one else that has a problem finding a workout schedule that is working for them? I find it very hard and would like some advise on that     
2010-01-06 7:03 AM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Speaking of cold... Ken, they are saying they *might* have snow flurries early Sat morning.

Can you imagine.  Running a 1/2 marathon, in the snow.....in Florida

Wife went out to pick up some extra layers yesterday.

2010-01-06 7:07 AM
in reply to: #2596660

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

niasa - 2010-01-05 10:31 PM OK, got my butt on the treadmill today.  Only about 30 mins, but I do remember that it feels pretty good to sweat....at least in the beginning, lol.  I just wish the pounds would come off as fast as my mind thinks they do.  Hope you all had a good day, check in tomorrow.Smile

The weight will come fast enough if you just stay consistent.  Half an hour to start is more than enough!  Good for you for taking the first step!!!

2010-01-06 7:10 AM
in reply to: #2596895

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

rTanja - 2010-01-06 5:56 AM Any one else that has a problem finding a workout schedule that is working for them? I find it very hard and would like some advise on that     

What aspect are you refering to?  One that provides you with the training levels you are looking for or one that fits the time you have available to workout?  The ones here are editable so you can move them around or even delete certain workouts.  There are several books that offer training programs, like The Triathlon Training Bible by Joel Friel (I think thats the name of it). 

2010-01-06 7:13 AM
in reply to: #2596972

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

TriRSquared - 2010-01-06 8:03 AM Speaking of cold... Ken, they are saying they *might* have snow flurries early Sat morning.

If I was fast enough to need an advantage I would be in luck as all of my long runs was in cold weather!  I just feel bad for the family that are out supporting us!  But no, I can't imagine running a half in Florida in the snow!  Since I didn't, I have had to get some nice new winter gear myself!

Moving to Disney from the inlaws today! 

Hope to see you guys there Sean!!!

2010-01-06 7:50 AM

User image

Hi all!  Sorry I took so long to post up here in the forum.  It didn't occur to me until today, that we would all be posting our progress & plan & such here until today...  duh... 

I ran the other morning on the boardwalk in Asbury Park, NJ...  25 degrees & wind gusts up to about 15-20 mph...  FUN!!!  I heard a tip one time about dressing for running in the cold, layers, first & foremost, and when you first start out you should feel a little cold, if you don't you're dressed too warm & you'll end up sweating too much & soaking your clothes, which will make you freeze on the way back!  I hate the cold & am a colossal wimp about it, lol... 

I am so glad to be back to training with a plan & races to focus on!  I am definitely doing a 1/2 marathon on April 17th (and going every Sat. morning for a group training run with my running club, specifically focused on this race) and doing the Timberman HIM in New Hampshire in August, so I have my work cut out for me!  I want to throw in a sprint to start the triathlon season & an OLY distance race a month or so before the August race, as a training race.  I am thinking Metroman in Asbury Park, NJ in July as my last big race before starting my taper...  I am so excited about this season!  I will be in the best shape of my LIFE! 

Have a great hump day everyone!

Chris
2010-01-06 8:43 AM
in reply to: #2596995

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
kenj - 2010-01-06 8:13 AM

TriRSquared - 2010-01-06 8:03 AM Speaking of cold... Ken, they are saying they *might* have snow flurries early Sat morning.

If I was fast enough to need an advantage I would be in luck as all of my long runs was in cold weather!  I just feel bad for the family that are out supporting us!  But no, I can't imagine running a half in Florida in the snow!  Since I didn't, I have had to get some nice new winter gear myself!

Send me your bib # when you get it.  I'll be using the online tracker on my phone to try to spot you and the wife.

2010-01-06 10:19 AM
in reply to: #2597211

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

TriRSquared - 2010-01-06 9:43 AM
kenj - 2010-01-06 8:13 AM

Send me your bib # when you get it.  I'll be using the online tracker on my phone to try to spot you and the wife.

Shoot, I meant to do that yesterday! I will send them over in a couple of minutes!

2010-01-06 10:29 AM
in reply to: #2597211

What's this and how does it work, my biking partner is down there as well and that would be cool to tracker her.

BoomerNJ - 2010-01-06 8:50 AM 

I hate the cold & am a colossal wimp about it,

Chris

I'm with ya brotha,,,

Edited by DougJ 2010-01-06 12:20 PM
2010-01-06 12:41 PM

Subject: SWIM
Just did what I would closely consider a swim training session (or at least my own personal attempt at going from one side of the pool to the other repeatedly). Today was the first day I did "laps" at I think a 25 yd pool.
As stated in the past, I'm not a swimmer by any stretch of the imagination.
I have been reading quite a bit, watching many You Tube videos, and IceMan's link to Mr. Smooth has helped a lot. I have been trying as much as possible to work on form/ technique. Rotating the torso while keeping the head in a relaxed stationary position, staying long/ tall while trying to keep my hips and waist from sinking (not easy). trying to remember to breathe from the pocket and exhaling in the water.
What I have found so far is,,, I'm nowhere near ready for a Tri. One observation was, I have a tendency to want to raise my head too high once I start to tire and that throws off the balance in a hurry. Thus the reason for practice and training.
As Ken told me, running and biking have very little to do with swim training and neither will prep you for a distance swim.
Hit the pool people, the sooner the better. Also this could be a good way to loose weight with a very low impact exercise.
2010-01-06 12:51 PM
in reply to: #2597646

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
DougJ - 2010-01-06 11:29 AM

What's this and how does it work, my biking partner is down there as well and that would be cool to tracker her.

BoomerNJ - 2010-01-06 8:50 AM 

I hate the cold & am a colossal wimp about it,

Chris

I'm with ya brotha,,,

http://live.activeresult.com/msg/MSG-signup.tcl?event_id=3
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!! Rss Feed  

of 29