BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2010-04-23 8:19 AM
in reply to: #2770788

User image

yorba linda
Subject: RE: Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Closed
MechEChick: i love the new bike/first bike

i have ridden mountain bikes in the past, but never knew this is how a bike is supposed to feel.
due to weather i have only made it out for 1 10 miles ride but it felt great. Although i am trying to get used to using aero bars.

2010-04-23 1:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Thanks for the support everyone! I'll let you know how it goes. A little nervous, but it's so short that I think it'll be fine. Thanks for posting the list of things to bring- only thing I don't have is a flat kit- I still don't know how to change a flat! But I'm going to pick up my bike today (somehow the back wheel was already bent!) so I may have them teach me a quick lesson.

PS- What's a race belt? Don't have one of those either.
2010-04-23 3:17 PM
in reply to: #2812668

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
eca712 - 2010-04-23 2:19 PM
Thanks for the support everyone! I'll let you know how it goes. A little nervous, but it's so short that I think it'll be fine. Thanks for posting the list of things to bring- only thing I don't have is a flat kit- I still don't know how to change a flat! But I'm going to pick up my bike today (somehow the back wheel was already bent!) so I may have them teach me a quick lesson. PS- What's a race belt? Don't have one of those either.

1- Definitely learn how to change a flat! You'll feel much more confident and comfortable on the bike, and unafraid to explore new (and far away) places on your own. Changing the tube (and the tire, or at least patching it until you can change it at home) are essential things to know! Over time, you'll get faster and faster at it, too, and will be able to do it in a pinch (but hopefully not in a race!!)

2- A race belt is a tiny belt that you wear around your waist which holds your bib number. It's a nifty thing that saves time in transition from swim to bike - you just clip it on and go - and I really like it because then I don't have to poke holes in all my racing gear.
Here's a link to one of them:
http://www.fuelbelt.com/accessories/race.html#addon
There are simple ones, and there are also ones that have room or pockets for gels etc. 
2010-04-23 8:05 PM
in reply to: #2812880

User image

Veteran
krystyna47 - 2010-04-23 4:17 PM

eca712 - 2010-04-23 2:19 PM
Thanks for the support everyone! I'll let you know how it goes. A little nervous, but it's so short that I think it'll be fine. Thanks for posting the list of things to bring- only thing I don't have is a flat kit- I still don't know how to change a flat! But I'm going to pick up my bike today (somehow the back wheel was already bent!) so I may have them teach me a quick lesson. PS- What's a race belt? Don't have one of those either.

1- Definitely learn how to change a flat! You'll feel much more confident and comfortable on the bike, and unafraid to explore new (and far away) places on your own. Changing the tube (and the tire, or at least patching it until you can change it at home) are essential things to know! Over time, you'll get faster and faster at it, too, and will be able to do it in a pinch (but hopefully not in a race!!)

2- A race belt is a tiny belt that you wear around your waist which holds your bib number. It's a nifty thing that saves time in transition from swim to bike - you just clip it on and go - and I really like it because then I don't have to poke holes in all my racing gear.
Here's a link to one of them:
http://www.fuelbelt.com/accessories/race.html#addon
There are simple ones, and there are also ones that have room or pockets for gels etc. 

Thanks Krystyna!
2010-04-23 8:14 PM

User image

Veteran
OK y'all, I am super frustrated with myself. Once again, I had three off days this week instead of one or two. I had definite plans on Thursday, but on Wednesday I just never got around to my workout (and wasn't particularly busy that day, other than putting off my work), and today, I couldn't make it to the pool during the afternoon swim time (12-2), and I was just about to leave now for a late swim, but changed my mind when I realized it would be pointless and maybe detrimental to train 12 hours before a race. Now I'm just going to take the dog for a long walk, do a foam roller session, and go to sleep early.

I know I just need to be more effective with time management- when I have a lot to do, I get overwhelmed and end up just doing nothing, which frustrates the hell out of me. My question is: when I miss a good chunk of my workouts, as I did the past two weeks, should I stick to my training plan as is, or repeat a week so that I'm not increasing the volume by more than 10%? In other words, do I measure volume increase by planned workouts or actual workouts?

Thanks- and sorry to be a downer! I just feel like a real loser, especially because I've looked like a slacker during our first weeks with this group- normally I'm much better with my workouts! I swear!
2010-04-24 12:01 PM
in reply to: #2813271

User image

eca712 - 2010-04-23 6:14 PM OK y'all, I am super frustrated with myself. Once again, I had three off days this week instead of one or two. I had definite plans on Thursday, but on Wednesday I just never got around to my workout (and wasn't particularly busy that day, other than putting off my work), and today, I couldn't make it to the pool during the afternoon swim time (12-2), and I was just about to leave now for a late swim, but changed my mind when I realized it would be pointless and maybe detrimental to train 12 hours before a race. Now I'm just going to take the dog for a long walk, do a foam roller session, and go to sleep early. I know I just need to be more effective with time management- when I have a lot to do, I get overwhelmed and end up just doing nothing, which frustrates the hell out of me. My question is: when I miss a good chunk of my workouts, as I did the past two weeks, should I stick to my training plan as is, or repeat a week so that I'm not increasing the volume by more than 10%? In other words, do I measure volume increase by planned workouts or actual workouts? Thanks- and sorry to be a downer! I just feel like a real loser, especially because I've looked like a slacker during our first weeks with this group- normally I'm much better with my workouts! I swear!

It's easy to get down on yourself, but remember to keep a positive attitude.  I remember when I would lose faith so easily if I missed a day or two at the gym when I first started on my weight loss journey.  I know I'm new to this tri thing, but you know what, I'm looking at it the same way.  If I miss a day or two, I'm just gonna get right back on it.  I know there will be times where I get tired and worn out, but that's part of the challenge.  There may be days where my life or my health may interfere, but I won't give up.  I'm committed to it and I know I can do it.  I'm sure you can too and I bet you will kick a$$ when the time comes.   Whatever time you need to dedicate to it, you know where you need to refocus your efforts.

2010-04-24 2:18 PM
in reply to: #2813855

User image

Veteran
jessistriohmy - 2010-04-24 1:01 PM

eca712 - 2010-04-23 6:14 PM OK y'all, I am super frustrated with myself. Once again, I had three off days this week instead of one or two. I had definite plans on Thursday, but on Wednesday I just never got around to my workout (and wasn't particularly busy that day, other than putting off my work), and today, I couldn't make it to the pool during the afternoon swim time (12-2), and I was just about to leave now for a late swim, but changed my mind when I realized it would be pointless and maybe detrimental to train 12 hours before a race. Now I'm just going to take the dog for a long walk, do a foam roller session, and go to sleep early. I know I just need to be more effective with time management- when I have a lot to do, I get overwhelmed and end up just doing nothing, which frustrates the hell out of me. My question is: when I miss a good chunk of my workouts, as I did the past two weeks, should I stick to my training plan as is, or repeat a week so that I'm not increasing the volume by more than 10%? In other words, do I measure volume increase by planned workouts or actual workouts? Thanks- and sorry to be a downer! I just feel like a real loser, especially because I've looked like a slacker during our first weeks with this group- normally I'm much better with my workouts! I swear!

It's easy to get down on yourself, but remember to keep a positive attitude.  I remember when I would lose faith so easily if I missed a day or two at the gym when I first started on my weight loss journey.  I know I'm new to this tri thing, but you know what, I'm looking at it the same way.  If I miss a day or two, I'm just gonna get right back on it.  I know there will be times where I get tired and worn out, but that's part of the challenge.  There may be days where my life or my health may interfere, but I won't give up.  I'm committed to it and I know I can do it.  I'm sure you can too and I bet you will kick a$$ when the time comes.   Whatever time you need to dedicate to it, you know where you need to refocus your efforts.

Thank you for the inspiration! I feel better after my race today- and it's easier to get motivated since I know what's coming.

Speaking of which... I finished the race! My time was nothing impressive, but I wasn't rushing myself. It was a lot of fun- so many nice people. I posted a race report if anyone's bored.
2010-04-24 5:16 PM
in reply to: #2814051

User image

Bryn Mawr, PA
Hey Emily

Congrats on the race!  I am sure you did great.  In regards to your training, my advice is to determine how you feel and what is your goal.  If you feel strong and think that you can jump into the following week then go ahead. If it feels a little too much then you can always turn down the intensity.  Are you preparing for a certain distance and under a time limit?

I am stuck indoors on my trainer because of finals.  The weather is beautiful, but I don't have time to get to the bike trail.  I am ready to get off of this thing!

Good luck with finals! 
2010-04-24 9:41 PM

User image

Good evening everyone,

Had a little knee soreness in my usual troublemaker (my right one), but I was pushing it.  My usual pace is 20mph and I was pushing for 22-24.  It's an old injury from a car wreck that I've done PT for a few times, but nothing I shouldn't be able to work through.  here's my question.  Do any of you keep a brace/wrap on during training?  I've even seen some people in tris with wrapped up ankles and knees and thought to myself if it was me, I wouldn't be doing it, lol.  Anywho, I'm debating on days when I notice soreness/stiffness if I should slap a wrap on it to get me through.  Otherwise, I seldom notice any issues with it, I think today I probably just overdid it a little.  Meh, we'll see how it feels tomorrow.  For now I'll ice it down and wrap it up.  hope everyone else is kicking butt and taking names!
2010-04-26 8:31 AM
in reply to: #2814051

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
eca712 - 2010-04-24 3:18 PM
jessistriohmy - 2010-04-24 1:01 PM

Thank you for the inspiration! I feel better after my race today- and it's easier to get motivated since I know what's coming. Speaking of which... I finished the race! My time was nothing impressive, but I wasn't rushing myself. It was a lot of fun- so many nice people. I posted a race report if anyone's bored.

Way to go! Glad you had a great time!
2010-04-26 8:33 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
sorry I've been inactive guys, my roommate decided to up and move out on me this weekend so I've been scrambling to get stuff moved around and find a new roomie! Hope everyone's weekend went great! Somehow in all of that I even managed to get my best friend off and Married!

Now finally I may be able to get back to some normal training!

2010-04-26 8:54 AM
in reply to: #2814517

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
jessistriohmy - 2010-04-24 10:41 PM Good evening everyone,

Had a little knee soreness in my usual troublemaker (my right one), but I was pushing it.  My usual pace is 20mph and I was pushing for 22-24.  It's an old injury from a car wreck that I've done PT for a few times, but nothing I shouldn't be able to work through.  here's my question.  Do any of you keep a brace/wrap on during training?  I've even seen some people in tris with wrapped up ankles and knees and thought to myself if it was me, I wouldn't be doing it, lol.  Anywho, I'm debating on days when I notice soreness/stiffness if I should slap a wrap on it to get me through.  Otherwise, I seldom notice any issues with it, I think today I probably just overdid it a little.  Meh, we'll see how it feels tomorrow.  For now I'll ice it down and wrap it up.  hope everyone else is kicking butt and taking names!

I wear a Pat strap during some of my runs... it sort of depends on how my knee (also right!) has been feeling that day. The problem with that is you aren't actually DOING anything to help the situation, just making it tolerable to get through the day. Ice / ibuprofen / warming up/ stretching and compression... along with that great foam roller are what I "try" to do to keep my legs healthy.
2010-04-26 9:11 AM
in reply to: #2816383

User image

New user
Washington, DC
Emily, I dunno about training-plan wise, but I always feel better about myself by doing a double workout and replacing the missed one. Whether or not that's healthy development-wise I don't know, but I know my mental health suffers a lot less. For instance, I missed my long run yesterday, so I'll most likely do it tonight or tomorrow, depending on if this weather lets up. Regardless, congrats on your first race!

It's actually really annoying that I missed my run yesterday, but there was too much to do Spring cleaning-wise. I finally got my Garmin, so I wanted to take it out for another spin, because it is a neat little toy. I got to bike with it on Saturday and the MPH was a great motivator. Unfortunately, my laptop is so old and broken down I'm having trouble getting it to sync up, so it looks like I'll have to keep logging manually - unless I can get one of the IT guys to install it on my work computer. I wonder if they can be bribed...

Anyway, this afternoon I'm going to get my bike adjusted and properly fit, since the cables are definitely stretched out and I'm pretty used to it now. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Good luck with finals Jeff!
2010-04-27 7:29 AM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
Race week

Final run last night and final swim tonight.  Wednesday will be a bike ride then I will clean my bike and get it lubed for the race.

Still deciding about Thursday night.

I did have my race day dream.  in the dream I could not find my bike at T-1 and almost punched someone in transition telling me to line-up to wait for my bike to arrive.  Kind of funny.

Anyone else have silly race day dreams?

Kevin
2010-04-27 8:27 AM
in reply to: #2818909

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
b2673ad - 2010-04-27 8:29 AM Race week

Final run last night and final swim tonight.  Wednesday will be a bike ride then I will clean my bike and get it lubed for the race.

Still deciding about Thursday night.

I did have my race day dream.  in the dream I could not find my bike at T-1 and almost punched someone in transition telling me to line-up to wait for my bike to arrive.  Kind of funny.

Anyone else have silly race day dreams?

Kevin

The night before is always bad for me... I can NEVER get to sleep early enough. I've done a couple of sprints with less than 3 hours sleep... and a foot race one day coming off a bender (yeah... that was smart...)

That's not too bad of a dream at least... I had one once where as I came out of my wetsuit I had no clothes on under it. I don't know whether that was more embarrassing to me or the other people in my dream

Thursday I'd just take it easy... do some stretching / yoga, go for a short run/bike/swim if you feel you need some "confidence" in any of them. Otherwise, you won't be doing any good for yourself training hard 2 days out from a race.

Good Luck!!!! Don't punch anyone... it's bad form in most tri's.
2010-04-27 8:38 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
whew, two days down completely on schedule! Now only 138 more of those days and I'll be ready for Cedar Point!

How's everybody else's training coming along?

2010-04-27 10:57 PM
in reply to: #2819075

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
Leegoocrap - 2010-04-27 9:27 AM 

The night before is always bad for me... I can NEVER get to sleep early enough. I've done a couple of sprints with less than 3 hours sleep... and a foot race one day coming off a bender (yeah... that was smart...)

Oh man yeahhhh I have vivid dreams (mainly consisting of a combination of failing at school, tri racing, life and, oddly enough, the inability to take photographs when I really desperately want to). 

I remember last summer, I was rooming with someone in a hotel the night before my first half-ironman and they snored SO much that I couldn't fall asleep all night until I finally grabbed a pillow and blanket and fell asleep in the bathtub for 1.5 hours. Horrid!! 
2010-04-28 10:24 AM
in reply to: #2813271

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
eca712 - 2010-04-23 7:14 PM OK y'all, I am super frustrated with myself. Once again, I had three off days this week instead of one or two. I had definite plans on Thursday, but on Wednesday I just never got around to my workout (and wasn't particularly busy that day, other than putting off my work), and today, I couldn't make it to the pool during the afternoon swim time (12-2), and I was just about to leave now for a late swim, but changed my mind when I realized it would be pointless and maybe detrimental to train 12 hours before a race. Now I'm just going to take the dog for a long walk, do a foam roller session, and go to sleep early. I know I just need to be more effective with time management- when I have a lot to do, I get overwhelmed and end up just doing nothing, which frustrates the hell out of me. My question is: when I miss a good chunk of my workouts, as I did the past two weeks, should I stick to my training plan as is, or repeat a week so that I'm not increasing the volume by more than 10%? In other words, do I measure volume increase by planned workouts or actual workouts? Thanks- and sorry to be a downer! I just feel like a real loser, especially because I've looked like a slacker during our first weeks with this group- normally I'm much better with my workouts! I swear!

For me, it would depend if I could lose a week in my training.  If I wasn’t on a program for a specific race, I would jump back a week and restart there.  Otherwise, you can definitely start back into where you are supposed to be, but perhaps dial back the intensity of the workouts.  Everybody has off days/weeks, and it’s no big deal, you just have to remember to look ahead and not dwell on missed workouts. 

Be careful on doubling up on workouts. I’ve learned the hard way that doing this can lead to overtraining/overuse injuries and burnout. I’m still paying for making that mistake last fall, as I think the injury never fully healed.  My advice, jump back in, forget about the missed workouts and listen to your body if it starts to tell you it’s too much.

2010-04-28 10:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Kevin - Good luck at your race this weekend!! I'm sure it'll be great, hopefully you won't have to punch anybody to get through transition. Smile

Training here is going well again.  Just 5 weeks left until race week and right now the hardest part is getting through workouts with all the bruises and scrapes I sustained this weekend in Moab. My advice to anybody Mountain Biking in the desert, don't fall on a bed of Cactus or take metal pedals to the shin when you lose your footing. Wink
2010-04-28 7:40 PM
in reply to: #2821319

User image

Bryn Mawr, PA
Leegoocrap - 2010-04-27 9:38 PM whew, two days down completely on schedule! Now only 138 more of those days and I'll be ready for Cedar Point!

Sporadic to say the least.  I think I did one weight session, one bike ride and one run.
2010-04-29 6:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Just got my first wetsuit... is it supposed to be so tight at the neck?

2010-04-29 8:16 AM
in reply to: #2824768

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
MechEChick - 2010-04-29 7:39 AM Just got my first wetsuit... is it supposed to be so tight at the neck?

How tight is "so tight?"

It should be tight enough that you definitely know its there, but not tight enough to be restrictive / choking.  When it comes to wetsuits, it's an art form just getting the thing on... not "good enough" on, but actually where it is supposed to be. Body glide helps a lot in "chafe" area's (usually around the neck for me)  and that wetsuit "grease" (NOT PAM COOKING SPRAY... I cringe every time I see somebody using that stuff) makes getting into it 100% easier.

Congratulations though, what kind of suit did you get?
2010-04-29 8:33 AM
in reply to: #2824298

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
PATiger33 - 2010-04-28 8:40 PM
Leegoocrap - 2010-04-27 9:38 PM whew, two days down completely on schedule! Now only 138 more of those days and I'll be ready for Cedar Point!

Sporadic to say the least.  I think I did one weight session, one bike ride and one run.

Don't sweat it, I have been having weeks like that forever now it seems. It just makes you feel that much better when you get dug back in
2010-04-29 8:34 AM
in reply to: #2821581

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
krystyna47 - 2010-04-27 11:57 PM
Leegoocrap - 2010-04-27 9:27 AM 

Oh man yeahhhh I have vivid dreams (mainly consisting of a combination of failing at school, tri racing, life and, oddly enough, the inability to take photographs when I really desperately want to). 

I remember last summer, I was rooming with someone in a hotel the night before my first half-ironman and they snored SO much that I couldn't fall asleep all night until I finally grabbed a pillow and blanket and fell asleep in the bathtub for 1.5 hours. Horrid!! 

I think the better choice would have been to smother them with the pillow
2010-04-29 1:13 PM

Southeastern NC
I start my program training next Monday for my ST tri in Sept. I am doing a 20 week program that has 2x equal work outs per week. In addition to the SBR, I will be doing a light P90x style strength and core program as well. I have joined a gym and have a few workouts under my belt (I'm sore) and have been riding a couple of days a week. Eating has always been a challenge for me so I have enlisted my doctors help and will be meeting with a nutritionist next week as well.

Wish me luck!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 19