BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2010-04-09 11:20 PM
in reply to: #2781338

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Subject: RE: TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL!

gadgetlaw - 2010-04-09 5:01 PM Hi,
A little more about me.  I am 42, married to my best friend Tom for going on 9 years.  No kids, but a cat and a dog.  I was never an athletic kid or adult until a few years ago when I decided I was tired of being fat and lazy!!  So, here I am.
I have done a couple of sprints and last year did an Oly.  This winter has been hard on me.  I have been having problems with chronic headaches.  I literally did nothing for most of January, February, and part of March.  I never thought it was possible to have a headache that you never think will go away.  I am on a new medication and seem to be doing better.  Which is why I feel like I am starting over here.  Three months of inactivity, and about 15 pounds makes it hard to be motivated to get back at it.  But, I had a great run tonight.  I finished my three miles without stopping.  No speed records, but I felt like it was quite an accomplishment.  Of course the cooler weather helped too.  Yes, it was a full 30 degrees cooler today than yesterday.
I am jealous of those of you who have music talent.  I played the clarinet in grade school, until I was told that I could not advance to the band because I was not good enough.  I was kicked out of my church choir when I was young because I couldn't sing.  Yes, the CHURCH choir.  Of course, that music director is no longer at my church, for many reasons!!  Now, it is just my poor husband who has to put up with my singing, because unfortunately, I really like to sing!  I am just really bad!
Enough rambling!  Every one have a great weekend and train hard.
Karen

Good for you for getting back at it, Karen! Really. Just a step at a time. Congrats on your run.

As for me, I've got an 18 mile run tomorrow. We take a train up the coast and then run back down to our cars. All good fun. It will be my last long run before my May 2nd marathon. Probably should be 20 miles, but I don't want to jump up in mileage too quickly and my coach thinks 18 would be fine and I'll still be able to finish the mary. I've done one so this is just to get another marathon experience. Not going for a BQ or anything...just a strong race and practice nutrition.

Off to bed for a 5 a.m wake up call. Happy manatee dreams everyone!

2010-04-10 9:07 AM
in reply to: #2771857

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
It's Saturday people, and the weather looks halfway decent here! I hope it's good where you are and you are out enjoying LIFE!

I'm off with my spawn, a bike, and a trailer. Headed to the zoo and the lakefront (and maybe a little "brick with kids"). Wish me luck. It will be a miracle if I get out there with all our helmets, wheels, snacks, drinks, sunscreen, wallets, and children. I'll report back later. Ciao.
2010-04-10 9:28 AM

User image

Regular
Hey all!  Question for those moms with kids.   How did you manage training with little kids? I had to scratch my bike ride this morning because my daughter was sick.  I hope to get it in this afternoon when my husband finishes work (and after my son's soccer game) but this kind of stuff happens all the time.

I find it easier to train on the weekdays when the kids are in school/daycare or VERY early in the morning when everyone is still asleep.

Maybe this is just a vent.  I fell off the training wagon HARD during the massive snow storms and have had a hard time getting back into it.  I admire all of you with long training sessions and hope to get to your level, eventually. 

No more excuses, just do it? 

Anyhow... have a great day all and I think I may just hand the kids to my mom while I do a brick bike/run.
2010-04-10 10:22 AM

User image

Regular
Where The Peaches Grow
First run back after my layoff. I averaged a 13 min/mi pace. I wasn't too happy with that, but I think a number of things were working against me. I did better on a hilly(ish) course a few weeks ago. The ankle and IT band felt good though, so I've done something right.

I'm going to try to get a swim in later today after all the moms are done taking their kids to the pool (not a jab at the moms on here!)

Happy Saturday Manatees!
2010-04-10 11:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
Back from my race this morning.  I got a PR with a finish of 30:50 according to my watch.  Official times will be posted on Monday I'm really pleased with how the race went for me.

This afternoon hubs and I are heading out for a bike ride.  We'll go 20-30 miles depending on how my legs are feeling. 

Kerry - I do most of my training while the kids are in school and I put the littlest in the gym's kid's club.  It's tough to get it all in and all my long rides and runs happen on the weekend.  I have a really supportive husband and a 13 year old daughter who gets drafted into babysitting.  If I want to get in some outdoor training during the week B (my 21 month old son) rides along in the stroller or trailer.
2010-04-10 11:29 AM
in reply to: #2782117

User image

Melon Presser
thndrcloud - 2010-04-11 1:21 AM Back from my race this morning.  I got a PR with a finish of 30:50 according to my watch.  Official times will be posted on Monday I'm really pleased with how the race went for me.

This afternoon hubs and I are heading out for a bike ride.  We'll go 20-30 miles depending on how my legs are feeling. 

Kerry - I do most of my training while the kids are in school and I put the littlest in the gym's kid's club.  It's tough to get it all in and all my long rides and runs happen on the weekend.  I have a really supportive husband and a 13 year old daughter who gets drafted into babysitting.  If I want to get in some outdoor training during the week B (my 21 month old son) rides along in the stroller or trailer.

HOLY PR SMOKES BATMAN!!!!!

Congratulations and awesome job!

Are you going to write a race report? I really encourage it ... it's a proud testament to your accomplishment, a good reflection on your training and also possible changes to make, and lets us all post nice comments ... it's also really great to look back on them in the future and get all nostalgic and also see how far you've come.

2010-04-10 11:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
thndrcloud - 2010-04-10 12:21 PM Back from my race this morning.  I got a PR with a finish of 30:50 according to my watch. 

Great job!

I finished my 15K -- the longest distance I have ever covered.  It was a little rough in spots (HUGE hill/bridge at Mile 2/7 that I just had to walk, and some issues with numbness in my leg) but I am pleased that I was not LAST and my average pace was quite good for me. 

Kerry, my two are 4 and 6.  I do most of my training in the morning before they get up (starting between 5:30 and 6:30 depending on the day).  On weekends, DH and I switch off for long runs or whatever, depending on our current goals.  It's taken a lot for us to get to this point, and it ain't easy, for sure.  But I am surprised how I found time that I never thought I had (did I mention I am not a morning person?).
2010-04-10 12:20 PM
in reply to: #2782153

User image

Melon Presser
dinabean - 2010-04-11 1:55 AM
thndrcloud - 2010-04-10 12:21 PM Back from my race this morning.  I got a PR with a finish of 30:50 according to my watch. 

Great job!

I finished my 15K -- the longest distance I have ever covered.  It was a little rough in spots (HUGE hill/bridge at Mile 2/7 that I just had to walk, and some issues with numbness in my leg) but I am pleased that I was not LAST and my average pace was quite good for me. 

AWESOME BLOSSOM!!!!!!!!!!

15K is HUGE. Just HUGE. CONGRATULATIONS and big Manatee flipper HIGH FIVE (three times, for 15).

Are you recovering well? Carbs and protein? Cold shower for your legs? Putting them up?

Numbness how where?
2010-04-10 3:57 PM
in reply to: #2782180

User image

Master
Vista, CA

TriAya - 2010-04-10 10:20 AM
dinabean - 2010-04-11 1:55 AM

Great job!

Great job Allison and Dineen!! Great runs and I second Yanti's emotion on the recovery time and fuel. I've found that recovery is so important, especially getting some protein/carbs (choc. milk or soymilk works great) within 20 minutes after a run/ride.  Manatee spring group is off to a fantastic start!!

2010-04-10 5:05 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
thndrcloud - 2010-04-10 11:21 AM

Back from my race this morning.  I got a PR with a finish of 30:50 according to my watch.  Official times will be posted on Monday I'm really pleased with how the race went for me.

Congrats! PR! Good stuff!
2010-04-10 5:08 PM
in reply to: #2782153

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
dinabean - 2010-04-10 11:55 AM

Congrats! I like that 15k/10mi distance...plus, you're pretty close to 1/2 mary territory now! Come run a race in Chicago, we don't have HILLS here! Haha.

2010-04-10 5:10 PM

User image

Regular
Where The Peaches Grow
Congrats on your runs, ladies! Sounds like they were some great experiences.
2010-04-10 5:21 PM
in reply to: #2781987

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
kerryd - 2010-04-10 9:28 AM

Hey all!  Question for those moms with kids.   How did you manage training with little kids? I had to scratch my bike ride this morning because my daughter was sick.  I hope to get it in this afternoon when my husband finishes work (and after my son's soccer game) but this kind of stuff happens all the time.

I find it easier to train on the weekdays when the kids are in school/daycare or VERY early in the morning when everyone is still asleep.

Maybe this is just a vent.  I fell off the training wagon HARD during the massive snow storms and have had a hard time getting back into it.  I admire all of you with long training sessions and hope to get to your level, eventually. 

No more excuses, just do it? 

Anyhow... have a great day all and I think I may just hand the kids to my mom while I do a brick bike/run.

Kerry, I use similar tactics the other mommies use. A trailer for the bike that converts to a jogger. Swap out with DH when he's around (and he's very supportive as well). A gym with a daycare. For really important stuff I may use a babysitter but this is rare. I try not to beat myself up about missed workouts and I try to take an OK workout in stride, even though I wanted awesome. Two a days are tough if not impossible and I am intentionally ignoring the longer distances until the little one is in school...

And I don't think you're making excuses...you're managing your mommyhood as we all do...by doing your best. Most folks don't try to be train their butts off in the midst of their busy lives...you've set the bar very high for yourself trying to be a tri'ing mommy. Give yourself props and if you don't get that awesome run/ride/swim in, maybe you can get a quick run or some yoga in...and move on to a better day. Right?

P.S.-that's awesome you are near your Mom! I am jealous and my Mom is probably relieved i am not always hitting her up for babysitting!!!
2010-04-10 5:37 PM
in reply to: #2782474

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
quincyf - 2010-04-10 6:08 PM
Congrats! I like that 15k/10mi distance...plus, you're pretty close to 1/2 mary territory now! Come run a race in Chicago, we don't have HILLS here! Haha.

Thanks!  I am planning a half mary for sometime in August or September.  Gotta put a LOT of miles in to get there, though.  It's going to be a destination race, with my sister, who has always been a runner (as opposed to me, a total n00b) but fell off the wagon after her last kid was born 2 years ago.  So we are virtually training together.  We contemplated Chicago, but my sister would prefer something less urban.  Oh well!
2010-04-10 6:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago

Congrats to you both for your races today. Both sounded like the were great, positive experiences! No races for me this weekend but I did go out on a run this morning and accidentally ran into a 5k race so I joined in for part of it just because I couldn't get around them haha. Now out for a bike ride. Tomorrow morning more bike and a swim hopefully.  I 2nd the race in Chicago...it's fun along the lakefront with the cityscape in the background! Right now I am searching for tris to do this year. I will probably do a few local ones but I wouldn't mind travelling for some either.  Hmmm...decisions decisions...

2010-04-10 8:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
GREAT job out there Allison and Dineen!  You should both be proud of yourselves - especially for getting out there early in the season and getting it done!  Thanks for the inspiration.

I only got in a short (less than 45 min) bike ride this afternoon, then blew it all at Buca di Beppo.  We took my parents for their anniversary.  We all had a nice time and boy was it GOOD.  I think I need to ride about 100 miles tomorrow!

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Karen

2010-04-10 10:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
I know what you mean, Karen -- we received a raspberry lemon cheesecake from Cheesecake factory via FedEx yesterday as a gift from family and well, let's just say between that and the birthday cake this afternoon for my nephew, I am sure I negated every calorie burned running 15K this morning!  Meant to ask about your username --  makes me think patent lawyer.  Am I way off and just projecting, or is it takes one to know one?
2010-04-11 8:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
I'm in awe Dineen.  I just can't run that far yet, even with walk breaks.  That takes a lot of mental toughness!  Hopefully I'll get there soon.

What's everyone doing today?  I'm feeling some serious fatigue in my legs today and we've got a lot on the agenda so I'm not sure that I'll get anything in
2010-04-11 8:23 AM
in reply to: #2783095

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
You'll get there!  It's just a matter of putting in the miles.  I really should have put in more before this, but oh well. My goal is to do this race again next year and conquer that !@#$# bridge!

What's everyone doing today?  I'm feeling some serious fatigue in my legs today and we've got a lot on the agenda so I'm not sure that I'll get anything in

Nothin!  I am pretty sore from yesterday (another sign that I likely overdid it a little).  If we can sneak it in, I would like to take the kids to the pool and do a few easy laps, but that's it.
2010-04-11 10:18 AM

User image

Regular
Where The Peaches Grow
I might take an easy bike ride this afternoon. I'm taking tomorrow and Tuesday off from work, so I'm hoping to get a lot of good workouts in there. I'm a little sore from rehearsal yesterday. It was like cheerleading practice and I was never a cheerleader. My right hip is calling me nasty names.

Two of my friends and I are looking to start our own little running group, so perhaps that will turn into a regular thing.
2010-04-11 11:55 AM
in reply to: #2783206

User image

Melon Presser
Scottie07 - 2010-04-12 12:18 AMI might take an easy bike ride this afternoon. I'm taking tomorrow and Tuesday off from work, so I'm hoping to get a lot of good workouts in there. I'm a little sore from rehearsal yesterday. It was like cheerleading practice and I was never a cheerleader. My right hip is calling me nasty names.

Two of my friends and I are looking to start our own little running group, so perhaps that will turn into a regular thing.
Ice is your frieeeeend. Ice cures everything.

2010-04-11 12:08 PM
in reply to: #2782508

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
dinabean - 2010-04-10 5:37 PM

quincyf - 2010-04-10 6:08 PM

Thanks!  I am planning a half mary for sometime in August or September.  Gotta put a LOT of miles in to get there, though.  It's going to be a destination race, with my sister, who has always been a runner (as opposed to me, a total n00b) but fell off the wagon after her last kid was born 2 years ago.  So we are virtually training together.  We contemplated Chicago, but my sister would prefer something less urban.  Oh well!

Hey,

you know last year I did the beginner's program from active.com that came free with my Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon registration. I had the baby in January (c-section, oww) and started running in April. The program was very modest. Run 3x week, two short, one long, and two days of cross training (how I ended up in triathlon crazy-town, but that's a different post).

ANYWAY, my point is, I got to 1/2 Marathon from post partum by doing minimal mileage (and that mileage was not run particularly fast or hard). To quote the guy from that Adam Sandler flick "You can dooo it!" Have you picked a venue yet? Sounds fun!
2010-04-11 12:11 PM
in reply to: #2782534

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
blackledge - 2010-04-10 6:01 PM

Congrats to you both for your races today. Both sounded like the were great, positive experiences! No races for me this weekend but I did go out on a run this morning and accidentally ran into a 5k race so I joined in for part of it just because I couldn't get around them haha. Now out for a bike ride. Tomorrow morning more bike and a swim hopefully.  I 2nd the race in Chicago...it's fun along the lakefront with the cityscape in the background! Right now I am searching for tris to do this year. I will probably do a few local ones but I wouldn't mind travelling for some either.  Hmmm...decisions decisions...

There's a ton of people doing Bigfoot!
2010-04-11 12:28 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Subject: Question for the Mentors...and everyone :-)
I've been mulling this over and hoping to get some input. I have pretty much ended up with not only triathlon events, but running events as well, and I went and joined this women's cycling team, so I know I am going to end up doing straight biking as well.

So I am wondering how much of my general aerobic fitness will carry between events. IOW, is it ok to drop some running if I am biking like crazy one week, etc? Will that time on the bike sort of translate into run time or do I need to do a full running program prepping for a race and pile the other two on top to try to keep the tri training going?

I really like biking because it seems to give me a killer workout without quite the wear and tear of running. I would swim more, but I am having to keep the volume down a bit because I am fighting a mild case of swimmer's shoulder in my right arm.

I realize I am going to have to pretty much use some of my events as training and I do have A and B races picked out. I guess I am just looking for some sage advice in general. Especially for later in the season when my Marathon training kicks in...I am thinking I am not going to want to sub much of the running once I am in the thick of that...

WDYT?
2010-04-11 12:28 PM
in reply to: #2783345

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
quincyf - 2010-04-11 1:08 PM Have you picked a venue yet? Sounds fun!

Thanks!  I am going into a holding pattern on running until I complete my first tri next month (mostly 3 milers, with the occasional 5 mile "long run") and then after the Tri I will focus on building mileage for the half.  We're still up for grabs on which race -- my struggle is that several have cut off times that are cutting it too close for me!  I think I will get a lot faster in six months, gosh, I hope so, but I don't want to bet my entry on it and be stressing out over my training all summer, because that's not really the point here.  This is supposed to be fun!  Congrats to you on your half mary -- I know from c-secs (ow ow, one ow for each kid) and that is tough.

If anyone has suggestions for a half mary in August or September that (a) doesn't have an early cut off time and (b) is reachable using our free SWA tickets I am all ears!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL! Rss Feed  

of 60