BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BamaDC's Mentor Group v3.0 - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 37

2010-12-31 7:03 PM
in reply to: #3256548

User image

Master
North Alabama
Subject: RE: BamaDC's Mentor Group v3.0 - CLOSED
It's official - I'm registerd

Jan 8 - Red Nose 10mi
Feb 13 - Mercedes Half Marathon
Jun 11 - Buster Britton Sprint
Aug 28 - Rocketman Olympic 

Still contemplating:
March 26 - Rumpshaker 5k
March 27 - Powerman Double Oak Duo (2.5k/20k/2.5k)
April 3 - Talladega Half Marathon
May 22 - Pensacola 5k Bridge Swim
Sept 25 - Augusta Half Ironman

Definitely will do but not registered for:
Nov 5 - Vulcan 10k

Edited by LostSheep 2010-12-31 7:07 PM

2010-12-31 9:45 PM

User image

Master
Nice end of the year - got in a short 1500yd swim to close the year and managed a 1:10 100 from a push in my drag (board) shorts - fastest like that all year.  That is about equivalent to a minute flat if I had my fast suit on.   One of these days I'm going to have to pump one out from the blocks to see if I can break a minute.  Looking more and more possible these days.

The rest of the workout was crap, but I was pretty enthused over that.

See you guys and girls next year!

LostSheep - 2010-12-31 7:03 PM

Still contemplating:

Contemplate?!?  I'm counting on you being there!

Edited by sand101 2010-12-31 9:51 PM
2011-01-01 6:30 PM
in reply to: #3270570

User image

Master
North Alabama
sand101 - 2010-12-31 9:45 PM  

LostSheep - 2010-12-31 7:03 PM

Still contemplating:

Contemplate?!?  I'm counting on you being there!

Believe me, after what happened last year, I definitely want to be there. We'll just have to see how the cards fall. 
2011-01-02 5:42 AM

New user

Fishers, IN
Subject: Swimming
So when I was 10 I was a great swimmer, but now at 32 I look like a dead fish, barely staying above water. I haven't swam a lap in over 15 years but figured I had to start. Yesterday, I swam off and on for about 30 minutes (mostly off but some on) but I guess you gotta start somewhere.

I bow down to you swimmers!!!
2011-01-02 6:42 AM
in reply to: #3272052

User image

Expert
Raleigh
Subject: RE: Swimming
Crazymama - 2011-01-02 5:42 AMSo when I was 10 I was a great swimmer, but now at 32 I look like a dead fish, barely staying above water. I haven't swam a lap in over 15 years but figured I had to start. Yesterday, I swam off and on for about 30 minutes (mostly off but some on) but I guess you gotta start somewhere.

Swiming can be frustrating. Hang in there, you'll be cruising in no time. I recommend getting lessons.
2011-01-02 10:43 AM
in reply to: #3269130

User image

Veteran
Georgia
BamaDC - 2010-12-30 10:56 PM
shake-n-bake - 2010-12-30 7:11 PM If the group is still open I would like to join. I will give bio later if there is room....2010 was my first year at triathlons and I got the bug big time. I did seven events , 5oly, 2 sprints.. Looking to do HIM in 2011 and would really like help to see improvements..

Thank You and look forward to 2011..

Welcome to the group!  What races are you planning for in 2011?

Hello everyone and Happy New Year..My name is Tim, I will turn the big 40 this May...I started training for a triathlon last Jan. and caught the bug..I had knee surgery in Feb. of 2010 so that was a set back..I pushed forward with my swimming and bike training then when released to run I eased back into it. I did 7 events last year..

2010 Races: West Point Olympic(first race),Callaway Gardens Sprint, Chattanooga Waterfront, Carrollton Triathlon,LakePoint Resort,Callaway Gardens Oly. and Brett RobinsonOlympic Distance

I learned a lot with each race and was able to pr with each event that I did.

I have a loving wife that supports me and two kids that mean the world to me..

My goals are to improve on last years times and do one to two HIM this year..

I started using mountain biking to cross train in October of 2010 and it is a great workout,however in November the front tire blew off and I suffered a bad spill, suffered a grade 2 ac joint seperation, labral tear a nd a tear in the rot. cuff.. no surgery required at this time( been there done that) so for the past two months my body has got a recovery..(THIS IS NOT HOW I PLANNED ON RECOVERING LOL)

2011 Plan

May 15 either Florida 70.3 or REV 3 HIM in Knoxville (still deciding which I want to do)
June  West Point Lake Olympic triathlon
July    Chattanooga Waterfront
September Augusta 70.3

Might do the Callaway sprint again but with close to 1200 people it was very unsafe on the bike leg if you didn't get into an early wave..

Also will look at doing some 5k and 10k races to try and improve my run times..

The early part of the year will be mainly focused on the bike and run training due to the shoulder.. So any suggested plans will be appreciated.

Maybe I will find a race to do with people from our group.

Thanks for allowing me to be in the group and look forward to working and learning from you all.

2011-01-02 11:44 AM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Happy New Year everyone!  I'm several days behind, but will catch up with my laptop while watching football this afternoon.  Just got back from a very windy bike ride... hope everyone has a great Sunday!

2011-01-02 3:18 PM
in reply to: #3272349

User image

Master
North Alabama
shake-n-bake - 2011-01-02 10:43 AM 

2010 Races: West Point Olympic(first race),Callaway Gardens Sprint, Chattanooga Waterfront, Carrollton Triathlon,LakePoint Resort,Callaway Gardens Oly. and Brett RobinsonOlympic Distance

2011 Plan

May 15 either Florida 70.3 or REV 3 HIM in Knoxville (still deciding which I want to do)
June  West Point Lake Olympic triathlon
July    Chattanooga Waterfront
September Augusta 70.3

Might do the Callaway sprint again but with close to 1200 people it was very unsafe on the bike leg if you didn't get into an early wave..

Looks like we had the same thoughts about those races in Calloway. I did the Olympic (and place 1st in Male relay) but I vow I will NOT do that course again. After seeing the leader broadside a car, and fighting the traffic the whole way, I am NOT risking my life out there.

Not to mention the traffic jam with vehicles blocking transition, the lackluster replies from the race director, or anything of that nature. I'm done.

Other than that, I enjoy my medal!

Hope to see you at Augusta in the fall! 
2011-01-02 3:20 PM

User image

Master
North Alabama
Got a bike fit/muscle problem for you folks.

I've switched over from my tri bike to my road bike while I get the computer fixed and figure what's wrong. However, after the last two rides on it, I've noticed my hips are really tight the next day for the long run. This has happened twice and I'm almost positive it's the bike.

Should I roll in for another fitting and see what's up? What else would be my options?

You can go look back at last Saturday's long run (supposed to be 10, wound up 8.5) and today's (supposed to be 14, wound up 12.25). With a race this coming Saturday, it's almost telling me to stay off the bike for a bit...

Thoughts? 
2011-01-02 6:06 PM
in reply to: #3272696

User image

Master
LostSheep - 2011-01-02 3:20 PM Got a bike fit/muscle problem for you folks.

I've switched over from my tri bike to my road bike while I get the computer fixed and figure what's wrong. However, after the last two rides on it, I've noticed my hips are really tight the next day for the long run. This has happened twice and I'm almost positive it's the bike.

Should I roll in for another fitting and see what's up? What else would be my options?

You can go look back at last Saturday's long run (supposed to be 10, wound up 8.5) and today's (supposed to be 14, wound up 12.25). With a race this coming Saturday, it's almost telling me to stay off the bike for a bit...

Thoughts? 

Difference in seat height?  Gotta be something pretty substantial to cause that kind of reaction, no?

On my end I started off the year right. 12 miles today - longest run since my half last Feb. 8:22/mile average, which seems to be my default pace.

6 weeks and counting until game time.
2011-01-02 6:19 PM
in reply to: #3272052

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Swimming
Crazymama - 2011-01-02 5:42 AM So when I was 10 I was a great swimmer, but now at 32 I look like a dead fish, barely staying above water. I haven't swam a lap in over 15 years but figured I had to start. Yesterday, I swam off and on for about 30 minutes (mostly off but some on) but I guess you gotta start somewhere.

It comes back quick.  Just ramp up like you would do with running.  I started back up a couple years ago and it took a bit (and some nights with my back muscles screaming at me!).  It will come back, though.   Give it six weeks of HTFU and see where you are at that point.

2011-01-02 6:37 PM

New user

Fishers, IN
I am sorry to have another basic question for you guys but today I just got my first pair of running shoes (I have worn cross training shoes for years but that won't cut it for a tri) and I then got to thinking about cycling shoes. I really didn't want to spend a fortune on my first race (going to make do with the bike I have but upgrade the tires) but now am wondering if I need cycling shoes. The guy at the running store thought I would.

Sooooo, any words of wisdom on shoes. Are there cycling stores that sell them? Is there anything to look for? Can I go online? So confused...lol.

Btw, I love how you all type in terms I have never heard of and I ask about shoes...must be the estrogen in me

Thanks for humoring me with my basic questions!!
2011-01-02 7:12 PM
in reply to: #3269128

User image

Regular
Akron, OH
BamaDC - 2010-12-30 10:55 PM

Welcome to the group! 

I checked out your profile and do you work for a racing team?

I am an engineer for a supplier.    I go to 90% of the IndyCar races.
2011-01-02 7:12 PM
in reply to: #3269128

User image

Regular
Akron, OH

Welcome to the group! 

Thank you!  

2011-01-02 7:18 PM
in reply to: #3272982

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Crazymama - 2011-01-02 7:37 PM I am sorry to have another basic question for you guys but today I just got my first pair of running shoes (I have worn cross training shoes for years but that won't cut it for a tri) and I then got to thinking about cycling shoes. I really didn't want to spend a fortune on my first race (going to make do with the bike I have but upgrade the tires) but now am wondering if I need cycling shoes. The guy at the running store thought I would.

Sooooo, any words of wisdom on shoes. Are there cycling stores that sell them? Is there anything to look for? Can I go online? So confused...lol.

Btw, I love how you all type in terms I have never heard of and I ask about shoes...must be the estrogen in me

Here is my two cents worth...With running shoes you need a good training shoe that will uphold to more mileage for your base runs  then if you wanted to you could look at getting a lighter pair for the events..As far as bike shoes if you are not going to clip in you could use your running shoes to ride the bike with, however if you get clip in pedals then you will need some cycling shoes..A local bike store should be able to help you with that if you choose to go that way,,btw you will be more efficient on the bike if you are clipped in.. Most triathletes I would say use a pair with Velcro strapping that way we can get out of them faster and save that precious few seconds...Hope this helps..
2011-01-02 11:12 PM

User image

Master
Crazymama - 2011-01-02 6:37 PM I am sorry to have another basic question for you guys but today I just got my first pair of running shoes (I have worn cross training shoes for years but that won't cut it for a tri) and I then got to thinking about cycling shoes. I really didn't want to spend a fortune on my first race (going to make do with the bike I have but upgrade the tires) but now am wondering if I need cycling shoes. The guy at the running store thought I would.

Cycling stores are the only ones that will sell clipless shoes.  You will need pedals to match, as well.  This will be a $150 outlay or so.  For your first race I'd say they really aren't necessary.  Get a decent pair of pedals that will get a good grip on your running shoes and use those.

I would recommend against online shoe purchases. 

If you figure out you love cycling and tris, then invest the money.  There is no hurry.  If you decide to go that way check in as there are a ton of different pedal types.

2011-01-03 6:33 AM

User image

Champion
the colony texas
Crazymama - 2011-01-02 6:37 PM I am sorry to have another basic question for you guys but today I just got my first pair of running shoes (I have worn cross training shoes for years but that won't cut it for a tri) and I then got to thinking about cycling shoes. I really didn't want to spend a fortune on my first race (going to make do with the bike I have but upgrade the tires) but now am wondering if I need cycling shoes. The guy at the running store thought I would.

you can just use your regular shoes for biking, many people at tri's don't have clip in cycling shoes. Do you at least have cages or whatever that little metal and nylon strap gizmo is called around your pedals now?  that will help a lot compared to just having nothing. In fact I have trouble riding a bike without something for my feet to attach to the pedals.   You could even wear your cross training shoes while you are training on the bike, so it will save some of the wear and tear on your running shoes.  But before race day take a few rides using your running shoes.  Your transition will be easy, you can jump off the bike with your shoes on. run to your rack, put your bike up (take off your helmet) and go. 
2011-01-03 7:18 AM
in reply to: #3273486

New user

Fishers, IN
Seriously, thank you for the quick responses!!!! I am going to stick to the advice you all gave and train in my cross trainers and use my running shoes for running (then try those on the bike before race day). I want biking shoes but will hold off for at least a few months (tri isn't until July) to help even out expensive. I don't have toe grips (is that what they are called?) for my bike but will be getting those.

Although I have little to actually offer the group, know that I appreciate you helping me through these basic questions!

Off to swim/bike today.....although I am SO SORE I am excited to have a goal!

Thanks for the encouragement!
2011-01-03 7:47 AM
in reply to: #3266836

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
Subject: RE: BamaDC's Mentor Group v3.0 - OPEN
BamaDC - 2010-12-29 5:04 PM

cornfed - 2010-12-29 1:22 PM Hey guys!  Just checking back in.   Sorry I've been MIA.  I was down at my in-laws for Christmas and so the bike training took a hit (ie didn't happen).  Looks like I've got some catching up to do.  I need to update my logs so I'll do that and get caught up on the thread this evening.

Come on Cavendish, get back on the bike!

I got an HTC-Columbia Jersey for Christmas so I really don't have an excuse not to!  You guys have been really busy -- including the new folks! You're all making me look bad. 

I managed to finish the year out by logging 1000 miles running but the bike plan suffered.  I haven't riden since before Christmas.  Company finally leaves tomorrow so I'm out of excuse.  I'm was thinking I fall back to the beginning of the program and start of program.  What do you think?

I'm also starting a 6-week group swimming program next week.  It's kinda like a masters program that my gym runs from time to time.  This should help me get back in to the pool regularly again.

You guys have pretty full schedules for next year.  I've signed up for HM in late March (still looking for a training program Jason?) and have a OLY in May.  Other than that I haven't signed up for anything yet.  There are some smaller local races that look really good but they haven't posted all their info yet so I'll have to wait an see how it plays out.
2011-01-03 8:48 AM
in reply to: #3273362

User image

Expert
Alabama
Took me a while, but i'm back....  Traveling for the holidays and havne't had time to stay updated.

I see we have a few new members to the group.  WELCOME!! 

I've still been run focused thru Dec 31, but it's time to break out the bike trainer and swimming again.  After looking at my 2010 totals, I'm in need of some serious training this year.

So far, I've registared for the following:

Jan 8 - Red Nose Run - 10Mi
March 20 - Atlanta HM - 13.1
August 28 - Rocketman OLY

Still contemplating:

March 26 - Rumpshaker 5k
June - Grandman and Buster Britton
July - Chatanooga OLY
September - Augusta HIM

Will sign up for

November - Vulcan - 10k

When any of you get ready to sign up for Augusta, let me know.  I'm waiting to dive in head first....from the cliffs of course.
2011-01-03 9:22 AM
in reply to: #3273362

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
sand101 - 2011-01-02 11:12 PM

Cycling stores are the only ones that will sell clipless shoes.  You will need pedals to match, as well.  This will be a $150 outlay or so.  For your first race I'd say they really aren't necessary.  Get a decent pair of pedals that will get a good grip on your running shoes and use those.

I would recommend against online shoe purchases. 

If you figure out you love cycling and tris, then invest the money.  There is no hurry.  If you decide to go that way check in as there are a ton of different pedal types.

I agree, do a couple with flat pedals and straps before spending the money.  On the bright side you should have a very fast T2.

2011-01-03 9:25 AM
in reply to: #3272696

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama

Thoughts? 

Are you stretching after you ride?  Do you know the difference in seat tube angle between the two bikes?

Edited by BamaDC 2011-01-03 9:26 AM
2011-01-03 9:27 AM
in reply to: #3273040

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
GotTorque? - 2011-01-02 7:12 PM

Welcome to the group! 

Thank you!  

That's really cool.  I'm not big into racing, but it would be awesome to see everything up close.
2011-01-03 11:39 AM
in reply to: #3273841

User image

Master
North Alabama
BamaDC - 2011-01-03 9:25 AM

Thoughts? 

Are you stretching after you ride?  Do you know the difference in seat tube angle between the two bikes?

Some. Add more I guess?
No Idea. Get a refitting at the shop?
2011-01-03 1:08 PM
in reply to: #3274306

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
LostSheep - 2011-01-03 12:39 PM
BamaDC - 2011-01-03 9:25 AM

Thoughts? 

Some. Add more I guess?
No Idea. Get a refitting at the shop?

I started to ITB issues  back in the spring and found my hip was also really sore.  Not saying you have the same problem but I had a couple people check my fit and they all said it looked good.  I started stretching before and after each ride and everything loosened up and was better in a couple of weeks.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BamaDC's Mentor Group v3.0 - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 37