BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Not phat? Phatknot SLAYER - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2011-01-04 3:45 PM
in reply to: #3256691

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
Subject: RE: Not phat? Phatknot SLAYER - CLOSED
Katie: I used to have trouble with the trainer booty/hooha pain, too.  I bought a thing for the front that levels it out so my front end isn't pointed downward.  It was only about $25 and has made a world of difference.  It's kinda like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/CycleOps-Stackable-Climbing-Bicycle-Trainers/dp/B000BT8VPQ 

Also, TV bribery works wonders for me.

For your ITB, have you tried the Grid foam roller?  I started using this one and haven't had any issues since.  It's hardcore, painful and wonderful.  Also, I started making sure I stretched the non-painful side a lot and that helped.  I think the opposite side tightness was pulling everything out of whack. 

2011-01-04 3:46 PM
in reply to: #3277332

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
pschriver - 2011-01-04 12:17 PM
My longest ride on the trainer was 6+ hours and I was in misery but since then the shorter rides aren't near as bad.

6+ hour trainer ride?  You are an animal!!! 
2011-01-04 4:14 PM

User image

Expert

Hey gang, I've been watching the thread count grow and I've got nothing for you, until now. I've got an appointment tomorrow to see the doctor about my knee. Unfortunately it's new insurance this year so I have a feeling they are going to have to see me to refer me to an orthopedic. Either way I'm starting to realize it's not going to be good news, but I'm still holding out hope!

Looks like everyone is active out here which is great, I certainly hope to join you all soon!

2011-01-04 4:31 PM

Las Vegas, NV USA
Thank you, pschriver (Peter).

Helps me to understand what everyone is talking about.... i will one day join the ranks of the cool kids. 
2011-01-04 4:49 PM
in reply to: #3277753

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
mgma8814 - 2011-01-04 2:31 PM Thank you, pschriver (Peter).

Helps me to understand what everyone is talking about.... i will one day join the ranks of the cool kids. 

You already have Cool 
2011-01-04 5:44 PM

User image

Elite
SE
yes we are the cool kids, and the balls are rolling now. you have to slather on the taint paint to get through those longer and harder sessions on the trainer. I did a 5 hour ride once and there were puddles of sweat pooling beneath me. along with the tall rotating fan, I have the set up facing the tv so i can watch or listen to tunes. I also make a concerted effort to stand up or shift often but stay aero as long as I can.

We have a sponsorship with taint paint that I might could get discounts on for you online if you want me to check. the other brand i love for taint creme is assos. Cheaper but still good European butt butter. don't be tight on it. slap it on your chamois and your perineum area. you may also want to change into fresh shorts for longer than 2-3 hour rides to prevent saddle sores.

There are some great workouts for trainers. And you pedal all the time, which means you are working harder than on a road ride.

WTG everyone stepping up the posts today! We might catch and slay them other mentor threads.

2011-01-04 7:20 PM

User image

Expert
West Palm Beach, FL
I agree on the topic of chammy cream.  I slather it on for anything longer than 2 hours.  It's a necessity here in hot, sweaty SoFla. 

Looks like I have a bike.  I let you know what it is when I have it in my hot little hands.  I look forward to ditching the slap-on aero bars 4 ever.

I'm hoping to get cleared to exercise again after I have my Doc appt on Thursday.  I had to take off a month last time I went thru this thing.  I'm dying to sneak in a little run tomorrow.
2011-01-04 8:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
Just checking in. Crazy with work and son is getting married this week. CRAZY! Noticed the topic of chamois cream. A tip that will save you TONS of money "Utterly Smooth Udder Cream" big jar only $2 and some change at CVS. There, I finally contributed to the group. :

Phil
2011-01-04 10:59 PM

Extreme Veteran
lol!
& that's a FANTASTIC name for the product!

glad to have snuck in a 7k run when i managed to leave work today... but wow. slippery out there.
how much longer until spring-time??
2011-01-05 2:29 AM

User image

Hi guys, I'm just chiming in. Been running a lot latelyand getting v.ery anxious for the Oceanside 70.3 in April. My mileage really isn't up there and this is unnerving me. I posted in the half-iron forum and then later figured this is for my mentor group to see where I'm coming from and get perspective. Here it is:"This is my first HIM and it sounds like you guys have a lot of experience and time to train. Am I being under realistic to make my goal just to finish? I know when I am out there I will give it all hell but to start with out a clearly defined goal other than to finish, is that just dumb?I have a 50 hour a week job and a family to provide for (swim, bike not a problem) but I've just been notching 4mi into my run workouts. Is a half Mary plan good enough to finish out the 11 weeks left?"Whatcha think? And oh yeah does Disneyland with wife and 4yo daughter constitute a workout or skip?
2011-01-05 3:21 AM

User image

Oops, I'd better chime in too!! (I'm behind time, I think you guys all post while I'm snoozing ... or at work!).
I don't want to share my training with you all ... I'm feeling more than a little intimidated!! Wink

Truth is my head has gotten in the way of my plan so far this week. Stinkin' thinkin' as my friend would say.
I'm determined to not let it ruin the remainder of this week.

As embarrassing as it is, here's what I have done/have planned:

Monday: 48min bike (indoor trainer) YAY!
Tuesday: Nada Embarassed  (no energy, recovery from night shift has been knocking me around)
Today: 65min bike (indoor trainer ... I'm off to do that as soon as this post is in
Thursday: (planned) 30min run (am); weights sesh (pm)
Friday: (planned) 40min swim (am); 80 bike (indoor trainer)
Saturday: off
Sunday: (planned) 40min run (then family activity all morning as my son goes to surf lifesaving)

Don't laugh!!!

So I've missed two swims, a run and a weights sesh this week. Which is not real crash-hot, but I am trying not to beat myself up about it. I've just come off a stint of night work and had to turn around the next day for day work so I guess I need to cut my body a break. I need more than 5 hours sleep at night!!!

I understand that, at the moment, the majority of my battle is mental. I just have to keep chipping away.

Em

Smile

... Did my bike sesh ... feel much better now (it's amazing what a good workout can do for your head!!!)

Edited by emholli 2011-01-05 4:57 AM

2011-01-05 7:11 AM

User image

Elite
SE
You guys are really rocking now! Lets hope elheffe99 gets good words from the doc on his knee. Shout outs to nicruns for a nicerun, STLPhil for sending us to CVS to save $!, and Em for her work this week! Well done you slayers.

Tri4fun73: I do think its normal to be a bit freaked out and anxious for a 70.3, but this will dissipate as your build continues. You have plenty of time to get ready to get done in one piece if you are starting now. Your pacing and nutrition will be crucial so i encourage to get familiar with your body's needs and abilities. Keep building steadily and you will see what I mean. I have seen some really out of shape buggers get through a 70.3. You will be way ahead of many of them.

What kind of plan are you following to get ready again?

today for me, I am hoping to brick it up (bike 2-3 hours > run 3mi). Shanks only wants me to do 1.5 hours on the bike max but he's always so darn conservative with me on the early part of the season. the good news is he hasn't fired me yet when I go over, as he knows I will own whatever bad happens due to my ambitiousness. Weather forecast is 80% rain so it may mean back down the dungeon.

What are you doing/have you done today to meet your goals?
2011-01-05 7:14 AM

To tri4fun-
Sorry, I am bad at remembering everyone's "real" name.  I don't think it is dumb at all.  I am a total newbie, but when I did my first sprint last year I was hesitant to assign a time goal.  I didn't know what to expect and I thought it would be a shame to finish my first triathlon and be disappointed in myself because I missed some arbitrary goal.  I say find the joy that you can in training and put it all out there race day.  That being said, I also think it's impossible not to say "I wonder what my time will be."  I struggle with this too, so I am interested to see what more experienced folks say.

-Katie
2011-01-05 7:24 AM

User image

Elite
SE
I try and stay away from time goals as there is enough pressure already. I changed all race goals "to have a satisfying race". This means giving all you have to give based on your training and ability given the course and conditions. Why put a time on that as so much can happen? Better to ask yourself at the end of the race, "did I do the best I could given the course and conditions?"

However, I am only one opinion. Plenty of folks have different ways of handling the pressure of racing.
2011-01-05 11:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Hoping to get a steady run in tonight - the guys from work are looking at five a side but I claimed that I didn't want to get an injury so thankfully I get to run instead, That said I'll not have time if I don't get out of here soon.

I'll log in later if I can for an update!
2011-01-05 12:14 PM

Extreme Veteran
I'm messing with my training schedule already!
(but it's worth it)
I got yesterday's run in without a problem (seems easier to squeeze in a short recovery run as opposed to anything else!) Embarassed
Tonight I was supposed to get some hill training (running) in, but I'm postponing that until tomorrow after work.
& then Friday I'll be foregoing my rest day (which I'll be enjoying today) & taking a spin class at lunch instead.

CAN'T resist.... but curiosity is getting the better of me.

Anyone else watching the world junior hockey finals tonight??

2011-01-05 1:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
Today's workout is complete.  Started with a 2500 yard swim.  I'm really having issues focusing while swimming.   Going out of my mind with boredom.  Might be time to join a team again.  Just wanted to mention I've been using SBR TriSwim products after swimming and they work really, really well.  Shampoo, conditioner, body wash and lotion.  There is NO chlorine smell on my skin or hair after using them.  Worth a try if you hate the post-swimming chlorine smell and dry skin.

Ran 5.1 miles in 1 hour.  Today isn't my day.  I had a side ache the entire time and one of my pups had the big D, so we had to walk and stop a lot.  Oh well, over it and moving on.  At least I got out there and I can redeem myself tomorrow.

Hope everyone is having a great day! 
2011-01-05 1:58 PM
in reply to: #3279752

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
World Hockey Juniors - lol -  I think its only relevant to Canadians. I heard that for tonights final (in Buffalo, NY) they expect 90% of the crowd to be canucks. 

I'm on week 3 of my 36 week IM training plan. On the menu tonigt: 1 hr bike (I'll  have to use a spin bike as I'm in a hotel) and 1hr swim. 
2011-01-05 2:22 PM
in reply to: #3280082

Extreme Veteran
mgalanter - 2011-01-05 2:58 PM World Hockey Juniors - lol -  I think its only relevant to Canadians. I heard that for tonights final (in Buffalo, NY) they expect 90% of the crowd to be canucks. 

worth a shot! Tongue out
2011-01-05 5:25 PM

User image

Elite
SE
I love hockey but not friggin junior hockey haha. Good work everyone.

http://tpks.ws/7V25M8TY

I did a hilly, windy, pouring rain for three hour straight mini-epic ride. I am still shivering, feet numb, and can't think straight, but well worth it. I worked much harder than it looks. However, I skipped the brick run due to numb feet. Yes I am a baby. Waaanh.

Keep those workouts coming! And watch what you eat.
2011-01-05 6:46 PM

User image

Master
45 min. recovery run today. Very cold. Cut short by 15 minutes due to work and temperature. I wussed out

2011-01-05 7:20 PM

Las Vegas, NV USA
Ok- now a question for all you experts.

How do you eat and address nutrition when training for a Tri? Don't forget, I have some weight to get rid of too (about 25 pounds). But, I also want to make sure I have good nutrition for training. I know a few of you have used Weight Watchers before.... personally, I don't care for it because I frequently find myself quite hungry.

Advice?

2011-01-05 7:46 PM

User image

Master
My advice for weight loss is going to be a little different than what you would expect. I would not go on any special diets or buy any special meals. I would start by cleaning up what you currently consume. Don't drink any soda (diet or regular). Drink water only. No alcohol. No greasy fast foods. Eat three healthy meals a day . Start training.

Don't worry about carb loading or nutrition during exercise until your work-outs are consistently over 70 minutes in duration.

Set realistic goals. The most you can loose and really keep off is 1 lb a week. Loose it quick and it can return quicker and them some. Your looking at at least 6 months to loose the weight for good. I also wouldn't stress out on daily or weekly weight variation. It doesn't mean much in the big scheme of things.

Consistent training will get you to where you want to be. Initially you will gain weight as your body remolds (less fat/more muscle) Once you metabolism improves the weight loss will become much easier by cutting calories.

When you feel hungry, drink water.

Edited by pschriver 2011-01-05 7:47 PM
2011-01-05 7:51 PM
in reply to: #3280837

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
mgma8814 - 2011-01-05 5:20 PM Ok- now a question for all you experts.

How do you eat and address nutrition when training for a Tri? Don't forget, I have some weight to get rid of too (about 25 pounds). But, I also want to make sure I have good nutrition for training. I know a few of you have used Weight Watchers before.... personally, I don't care for it because I frequently find myself quite hungry.

Advice?

While this is not fun advice, I count calories.  It really helps me eat clean.  Lots of lean protein, fruits and vegetables and whole grains for carbs.  No processed or prepared foods, unless I'm biking long (over 50 miles) or running long (over 13 miles)...then I eat candy or fig newtons for snacks.  Otherwise, I'm all about whole foods and spend quite a bit of time cooking and prepping food.  Food is one of my favorite topics Laughing  I refuse, however, to give up either a glass of wine with dinner or a scotch or bourbon at night.  That said, I think it's important not to be too much of a food nazi because you wind up overcompensating by pigging out at some point.  If I really want a piece of pie or I'm at a birthday party, you can bet I'm gonna have a slice...all about moderation, right?

Okay, to sum it up: eat clean, moderation, thinking ahead and planning and prepping meals and snacks. 
2011-01-05 7:57 PM

Las Vegas, NV USA
Thanks, Peter and Ashley for your input. 

I drink no soda at all because I'm too easily addicted to it. So I do mostly drink water and  the greasy foods I can stay away from.

Ashley- You know, 2 years ago when i was really losing weight, I did just that. Counted every calorie and made virtually all my own meals. Right now though, with medical school, time is a luxury and scheduling workouts is a bit tricky already. I'm trying to find a balance between some processed food, and meals made from scratch. I love to cook- but after 10-12 hours of school, coming how to prepare a meal from scratch isn't all that appealing.

I do my best to eat as clean as I can- but it's not always possible.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Not phat? Phatknot SLAYER - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 38