BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eli's Getting Ready for the Season Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2011-04-24 3:51 PM
in reply to: #3281614

New user

Subject: RE: Eli's Getting Ready for the Season Group-CLOSED
Happy Sunday everyone!

It's great to read about everyone's successful weekends. As for me, I did a 96 mile ride through the Everglades yesterday. I must say, I felt great for about the first 60-70 miles (averaging about 16 mph) but I struggled towards the end. I was against the wind and burning out and I had some back pain (I'm relatively new to cycling so I don't feel comfortable using aerobars yet). The last 40 miles or so were at about 12 mph pace. Ouch! 

I was wondering.. does anyone have tips for getting comfortable on aerobars?

Vanessa

2011-04-24 7:32 PM
in reply to: #3463383

User image

NH

sobriquetness - 2011-04-24 4:51 PM Happy Sunday everyone!

It's great to read about everyone's successful weekends. As for me, I did a 96 mile ride through the Everglades yesterday. I must say, I felt great for about the first 60-70 miles (averaging about 16 mph) but I struggled towards the end. I was against the wind and burning out and I had some back pain (I'm relatively new to cycling so I don't feel comfortable using aerobars yet). The last 40 miles or so were at about 12 mph pace. Ouch! 

I was wondering.. does anyone have tips for getting comfortable on aerobars?

Vanessa

Monster ride.  I think there's no easy answer to the aero bar question.  Just more time on them is the only way.  Flexibility helps too so anything you can do to get the hips flexible can't be a bad thing.

2011-04-24 8:46 PM

User image

Master

Hey All,

Happy Easter. We were out of town this weekend. Drove up to Gainesville to see relatives.

We rode 100 miles on Saturday. My wife's first time doing 100. It was fun to ride with her, and very scenic. No flats, no falls, but a fair number of stops for soda and coffee.

Way to go to all you runners! I have been slacking on my runs recently.

Looking forward to another fun week!

Vanessa, for aerobars, make sure you are fitted well. if they are areobars on a road bike, the fit for the aerobars is going to be different than the fit for the drops and hoods. If you ride more in aero, then get fit for aero.

Another thing to do is shift around your rear a little. It is hard, but when you are in aero, try to make sure you are engaging your glutes a little. This often means you have to tilt you pelvis a bit, but it works, and takes the weight off your tender parts, at least a little.

2011-04-24 8:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY

All this talk of aero has me wondering....

So this will be my second year training for triathlons and I currently have an entry level road bike.  I likely will not upgrade until I think the engine is slowing me down more than the bike, and that is way off right now.  That doesn't mean I am not interested in some free speed if it is out there to have.  What's everybody's thoughts on adding aerobars to a road bike.  Good Idea? Will it provide a speed boost.  I am little concerned about how comfortable I would be but think my body has adjusted fairly well to riding and may be able to go aero without much pain.

Any suggestions as to which ones to buy?

2011-04-24 9:02 PM
in reply to: #3463636

New user

Hi All -

Vanessa, just wanted to echo getting fitted for your aerobars, especially as someone new to cycling (I just started in late January). I had my first fitting in early January and am going again, as I've gotten a little stronger and want to make sure I'm still in alignment now that different parts of my body are stronger than they were three months ago.  I have a tri bike, and I've found that I don't use the aerobars much in two of the three groups I ride in due to some of the dynamics of the group - so I'm going to talk it over with the guy who fitted me the first time.

However, I haven't gotten strong enough for 96 (36 is more like it) or 100 like Eli. That's still unfathomable to me.  You each motivate me to keep up.

Did my first open water swim today, two weeks before my sprint tri. I'm so glad I did it - the water was cold and choppy and the veteran triathlete in the kayak told me it was the worse conditions he'd ever seen on the lake. So to complete a little over a mile in that made me feel really good.  I've read enough tri stories of, "I never practiced in open water and regretted it" - I see how easy it is to panic, even with a wetsuit.

Have a great Monday everyone!

Michele

2011-04-24 11:25 PM
in reply to: #3463648

Veteran
Liberty Lake, WA
I personally think dropping into aero bars is a substantial difference. When I am riding my tri bike and I have my hands on the breaks and then drop down into the aero bars I usually have to shift 1-2 gears to maintain the same cadence. Same deal when I go from aero bars up to my breaks. I am not sure how much faster 1-2 gears is with the same cadence but for me it is about 1-3 mph with the same effort. That said, I also prefer being in the aero position and find it easier to put more power to the pedals.

2011-04-25 7:31 AM

User image

Ocala

I just installed aerobars on my entry level road bike this weekend, and I had never used them before.  I did a 20 mile bike on them Sunday, and after getting used to them for the first few miles, I really liked them.  I don't feel like I am wasting any energy, it just feels like all the power from my legs is going directly into the bike.  It was very squirrely the first few miles, it took some effort to keep it in a straight line, but once I got the hang of it, it was very nice.

On a side note, this weekend was the first time I rode and immediately threw on my running shoes and ran, and it was hilarious.  I must have looked drunk or something for the first few minutes, my legs were not cooperating.  I will definitely be working on that a lot more between now and June. 

2011-04-25 8:13 AM

User image

NH

I have an entry level road bike and aero bars.  It definitely makes a big difference if you can stay ni aero position.  I get about 1.5-2 mph on the same flatish or rolling terrain when I'm actually in the bars.  Of course, in the really hilly rdies I don't think it makes as much difference.

One thing to remember about a road bike with aeor bars is that the bike isn't really designed to be used in the TT position from a weight balance perspective, so be careful at first.  The handling can be tricky.  And my opinion is to make your fit comfortable rather than fully aero, since if it's comfortable you will tend to stay aero more, and if it's uncomfortable you will bail out and go to the hoods.

2011-04-25 10:33 AM

User image

Master

Colby, way to go on your first Brick! I have fond memories of the first time I did a ride/run brick. You describe it perfectly, you look drunk, wobbling around on legs that don't work right.

As far as Aero bars, in my opinion, you get free speed. I did my first two + seasons on a hybrid bike with flat bars. I added the aero bars and learned how to ride that way. As Warren and others said, it will feel squirrely at first, but once you get used to it, you will be faster.

I think I have read that over 75% of your wind resistance on the bike is due to the rider and their position. Just leaning over onto the aerobars radically changes your wind profile. I could hold 20 Mph on my aero bars, but no more than 18.5 maybe 19 while upright on that hybrid.

As Warren mentioned, the comfort of the fit is important. If you are more comfortable, but less "Aggressive/Aero" you may be better off if you can spend more time aero than in the aggressive position. However, as I said before, the difference between a road bike fit and an aero fit, even a comfortable one, on a road bike, is different.

2011-04-25 11:30 AM

Hi everyone-

Tanya here...sounds like everyone really kicked it up this weekend!  You all get a big AWESOME!

Saturday I got over the mental hump and got it the pool for the first time. I did the big 1000m (ha!)...but that was my goal: GET IN THE POOL.

My shoulder is slowly getting better, the swimming was a little painful (not in a bad way, but enough that i took it really easy.)  Still more ice...more ice...ice is amazing...today it feels the best it's felt in a long while.  I'm going to start strengthening exercises.

I am on the hunt for a bike.  I'm trying to keep it C-H-E-A-P.  It's going to be a used entry level road bike for me.  I live in DC and getting a bike that's been well kept, with good components, recently tuned up is a possibility as cheap as $100 (but that'd be an absolute steal). 

Other than paying close attention to how the bike fits me and the above, any people have comments on must haves? or things to avoid?

Tanya

2011-04-25 2:09 PM

New user

Hey all,

Thank you for the great aero tips. I have to say I really don't know much about bikes. I inherited my bf's old Felt road bike with the aero bars already on- he had it fitted for himself and I never thought to go get it re-fitted for me. I'll give it a try and maybe that will help with balance and comfort.

Michele- I also started riding in late January.. I'm glad to have the advice of a fellow beginner. Awesome job on your swim btw! I need to get in the pool some time this week to try out Charlie's swim drills.

2011-04-25 6:12 PM
in reply to: #3464897

User image

Regular

Aero bars...

These at this link might be an easy transition -> http://www.tri-zone.com/Details.html?cat=80&item=PFJGT

I have a pair of my felt road bike and they do pretty good for me, I may upgrade soon though.

Also people have suggested ones that have flip up pads to make for more room on that part of the bar if you're climbing hills or sprinting. I've been fine though with my current set-up.

2011-04-25 6:51 PM

User image

Master

Since we were talking aero, thought I would link to this post from the main forum:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=249747&posts=2&start=1

Great info on the links he posts.

2011-04-25 9:14 PM
in reply to: #3464492

User image

Regular
mywaterfront - 2011-04-25 12:30 PM

Hi everyone-

Tanya here...sounds like everyone really kicked it up this weekend!  You all get a big AWESOME!

Saturday I got over the mental hump and got it the pool for the first time. I did the big 1000m (ha!)...but that was my goal: GET IN THE POOL.

My shoulder is slowly getting better, the swimming was a little painful (not in a bad way, but enough that i took it really easy.)  Still more ice...more ice...ice is amazing...today it feels the best it's felt in a long while.  I'm going to start strengthening exercises.

I am on the hunt for a bike.  I'm trying to keep it C-H-E-A-P.  It's going to be a used entry level road bike for me.  I live in DC and getting a bike that's been well kept, with good components, recently tuned up is a possibility as cheap as $100 (but that'd be an absolute steal). 

Other than paying close attention to how the bike fits me and the above, any people have comments on must haves? or things to avoid?

Tanya

Use craigslist or bonktown.com

Bonktown the women's bikes are few and far between and probably over the price range you are looking for. If you know you're going to be doing tri's for a while save up and wait to buy something at a higher level than what you're looking at. Craigslist you should be able to buy a good used bike about 1/2 of what it originally cost. You can also negotiate and low  ball people tell them if they don't get any other offers you will pay some crazy lowball amount. Good luck with it.

2011-04-25 9:53 PM

User image

Parker, CO

The aerobar info everyone was great stuff. I have a pretty good road bike and am thinking of adding aerobars, thanks for the input.

A new question, I am going to buy a wetsuit in the very near future. So - sleeveless or not?

Thanks,

2011-04-26 7:42 AM
in reply to: #3465833

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY
mleaverton - 2011-04-25 10:53 PM

The aerobar info everyone was great stuff. I have a pretty good road bike and am thinking of adding aerobars, thanks for the input.

A new question, I am going to buy a wetsuit in the very near future. So - sleeveless or not?

Thanks,

I went with a full suit when I bought last year and when I buy a new one it will have sleeves as well.  I wanted the extra buoyancy that a full suit gives.  Many people prefer sleeveless as they are less constricting around the shoulders, and some find them more comfortable.  I didn't mind the tightness in the shoulders and don't feel it was uncomfortable at all.

2011-04-26 7:48 AM
in reply to: #3465433

User image

NH
grownassman161 - 2011-04-25 7:12 PM

Aero bars...

These at this link might be an easy transition -> http://www.tri-zone.com/Details.html?cat=80&item=PFJGT

I have a pair of my felt road bike and they do pretty good for me, I may upgrade soon though.

Also people have suggested ones that have flip up pads to make for more room on that part of the bar if you're climbing hills or sprinting. I've been fine though with my current set-up.

I use these exact aero bars.  They're great.  They take some time to setup correctly as they are infinitely adjustable.  The ends are quite short so there are times I wish they were just a few inches longer, but all in all they've been great.  I have another pair which are flip up but I use these jammers.

mleaverton - 2011-04-25 10:53 PM

Thanks,

I'd go full sleeve.  With the tri suits, there really isn't much in the arms/shoulders anyway and it gives you a bit more float.

2011-04-26 7:59 AM

User image

Master

I have to say, I went sleeveless and have been happy. Of course, wetsuit legal races down here are somewhat warm still.

My biggest issue is what you all mentioned, I feel like the suit constricts my shoulders. However, that may be a size or "fit" issue.

2011-04-26 9:54 AM

Veteran
Liberty Lake, WA
Another thing regarding aero - One thing no one mentions is that having aero bars on a road bike or even on a triathlon bike is that it gives you additional positions to place your hands. I am actually WAY more comfortable on my tri bike because the aero position (which mainly puts your weight on your elbows etc) is substantially different than riding on the breaks / hoods. I like this because you can switch it up and use different muscles so that you get less tired. There are quite a few times where you will be out of your aero bars (like when you climb hills) and the different positions are nice. For the most part, riding on the hoods / drops is about the same position.
2011-04-26 8:22 PM

New user

For the wetsuit, I got a $99 XTerra Volt sleeveless about a month ago (they have a website).  Had heard great things about the XTerra brand, had some friends go in with me to get free shipping, and their sizing was spot on for all three of us who are very different sizes.  I tried it out this weekend in 65 degree water and it was great.  I like to be cooler when I run and bike, and that was the case with the sleeveless wetsuit too.  My swim coach has talked about neoprene sleeves, but I haven't actually seen any.  That would give me some good flexibility if I find that I'll be aiming for fall triathlons.

Hope that helps,
Michele

2011-04-27 8:14 PM

User image

Griffin, Georgia

Getting ready for my first Triathlon this Saturday.  It is a sprint at a state park here in Georgia.  I have been working towards this goal since the middle of October and I am ready.  My 18 year old son has also been training and is going to do it also.

I was going to ride my Trek 820 Mountain Bike (fixed frame) with the slicks I put on it a couple of weeks ago.  Picked up about 1.5 mph with the slicks.  However, a friend has loaned me his Trek 2.1 to use in the race.  Now my son gets to ride the 820 instead of his MB with shocks.  I think the 2.1 is a 2008 or 2009.  My friend just bought it used and it is in perfect condition.  It has clipless pedals (which I have never used) and his shoes just happen to fit me.  I road a short ride using the shoes (I did not fall) when I got home and WOW!!!  Smooth and fast.  I  Rode 2.7 miles (like I said short test ride) at 18.7 mph average.  That is about 3.5 mph faster than I have been averaging.  That was a pretty quick section though.  I will give it a full test in the morning.

Couple of questions:

1.  I am a little concerned about T1 now though.  I was planning on riding in my running shoes.  But now that I will be wearing the cycling shoes, I am not sure about getting from my transition area to the bike mounting area in those shoes.

2.  Just got my tri shorts in last week.  They are great.  I have swam, ran, and biked in them and they are comfortable in all three.  Just one thing.  Are you supposed to wear anything under them?  I plan on doing the entire tri in them.

3.  Will my son and I start in a novice wave or will we start in our age group?  I am a clydesdale if that affects anything.

Any answers/suggestions will be helpful.

2011-04-27 8:38 PM
in reply to: #3470216

User image

Master
billeckert - 2011-04-27 8:14 PM

Couple of questions:

1.  I am a little concerned about T1 now though.  I was planning on riding in my running shoes.  But now that I will be wearing the cycling shoes, I am not sure about getting from my transition area to the bike mounting area in those shoes.

2.  Just got my tri shorts in last week.  They are great.  I have swam, ran, and biked in them and they are comfortable in all three.  Just one thing.  Are you supposed to wear anything under them?  I plan on doing the entire tri in them.

3.  Will my son and I start in a novice wave or will we start in our age group?  I am a clydesdale if that affects anything.

Any answers/suggestions will be helpful.

First of all, congrats on your upcoming race. Sounds like you will have a blast. Remember, enjoy it, you can always get faster later.

Here are my thoughts about your questions:

1. I see three options-

A. Ride with running shoes anyway. Easy, nothing to learn, faster transition.

B. Carry shoes over line, move to the side, put them on and then get on the bike.  At the end of the bike, stop, get off, and then take off the shoes. Running in those things takes some practice, and damages the shoe anyway.

C. Practice keeping the shoes on the pedals. When you get on, you step on the top of the shoe, then after a little while, you try to slide on the shoe while moving. This is difficult and does require some practice. 

and finally 

D. Put shoes on as in B, but practice taking your feet out of the shoes before you come in at the end. You ride a bit with your feet on top of the shoes, but you never take the shoe off the pedal. Much easier to run in socks, but it depends on terrain.

Question 2

Commando

Question 3

It depends on the race director and the size of the race. Clydes usually start in their own wave. 

2011-04-28 8:29 AM

Veteran
Liberty Lake, WA

I had a quick question for everyone...

I am currently doing the olympic 3x plan. The plan increases duration almost every week unless it is a recovery week. If the plan is increasing my durations then is there any reason to be increasing intensity? If not...when would you increase intensity and do intervals if the duration is always increasing?

2011-04-28 9:13 PM
in reply to: #3470802

User image

Master
xine2kgts - 2011-04-28 8:29 AM

I had a quick question for everyone...

I am currently doing the olympic 3x plan. The plan increases duration almost every week unless it is a recovery week. If the plan is increasing my durations then is there any reason to be increasing intensity? If not...when would you increase intensity and do intervals if the duration is always increasing?

I would think that you would usually build volume and maybe add some intensity here and there, but not across the board. You don't need much in the way short aerobic style intervals, but certainly longer, tempo style can be added in if you want.

2011-04-29 7:46 AM

User image

Master

Hey All,

What are your weekend plans? I am torn between a brick tomorrow or doing some running and then joining in on a 5K. Sunday I am riding a recovery ride with my wife and friends.

Training this week was OK, but I am feeling sluggish. That may be because I stayed up late on Tuesday reading science fiction.

I know at least one of you is racing...anyone else?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eli's Getting Ready for the Season Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 20