BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Southwestmba/Andy's excellent adventure group-Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2011-05-17 6:34 PM
in reply to: #3287331

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Subject: RE: Southwestmba/Andy's excellent adventure group-Full
When it comes to bike pants, less is more. I usually wear tri shorts which are less padded than regular bike shorts. The advantage is they are very comfortable to run in and they dry out quick after the swim. I have not had any issues in that area on any of my long rides or IMs. I don't wear anything under my tri shorts. The more layers you have the more likely they are to get wet hold that moisture and then cause problems. You want to keep your skin as dry as possible anytime you are going 4 or more hours.

Andy

2011-05-19 9:29 AM

Regular
Subject: Transition bags
I was going to post this in the main forum but I thought I would ask here first, out of respect for my mentor; what is a good transition bag to purchase? I've seen some, and read some reviews but I'm hesitant to pull the trigger without some feed back from BT.
2011-05-19 8:14 PM

Regular
Subject: Another milestone reached: My first flat

I hadn't even gone 1/4 mile from the subdivision and I feel abnormalty from my rear tire. Sure enough, it's flat. Fortunately for me I had recently placed some of the things I might need during the upcoming tri on my bike: Tire pump, bag with tire changing tools and a spare tire tube, a bottle holder, and bottle. I planned on reviewing how to change a tire but I never got to it. It didn't seem too involved, but when it came to actually doing it, uncertainty set in. Doing it in my clipless bike shoes didn't help. I didn't know how to use the tools properly. I didn't know how to use the tire pump, or that the tip of the tube part had to be unscrewed and I bent it. Then, once I did that, I ended up filling it three times because the tire was bulging. Then, it started to rain. Then some lady stuck her head out the door of a building nearby and asked if I was okay. When I finally did get the tube filling properly, it was getting hard to pump it past 80 psi and I didn't want to break the tube thingy so I decided that was enough. Then I wasn't sure how to put the tire back on the bike. I did get it together, finally, somehow. Proof to me that God does exist. As I was putting everything away, it stopped raining and I was able to finish my scheduled ride. It was good experience to have, definitely better now instead of during an actual event; after I got back, I checked out a video on how it's done and saw where I did things wrong.

In the coincidence department, after I was back on the road I turned my mp3 player back on and the song that was playing? 'Pump it up' by Elvis Costello.

Edited by Phaethon 2011-05-19 8:17 PM
2011-05-19 9:34 PM

Awesome story. I'm sure it wasn't all so much fun in the rain changing the tire... so sorry to hear about that. Yet isn't it odd how MP3 players sometimes play the perfect tune?! Congrats on learning how to change the tube... something you'll certainly never forget now!
2011-05-19 11:08 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Transition Bags. My wife bought me an awesome bag a Nathan's Profile Design Bag. I never heard of this brand before but It has everything you need and doubles as a backpack. It has a spot for a bike helmet, a spot for you shoes on the outside, bottle hloders on the side and lots of pockets. Made my life much easier this weekend as I had to trek about a miles from the hotel to transition in the morning (and after 70.3 miles) and had no problems lugging my stuff.

Flats happen and once you've had a little practice, changing a flat become fairly easy, though I always struggle to get thr last few inches of the tire back on the rim. Great song though at the end of that.

Andy
2011-05-19 11:09 PM

Issaquah, WA

Hi everyone, checking in. Trainings been going well. I've needed to move a few training days around do to family issues. I can't think of a better way to handle stress than to follow through with a training day.

?Thanks for the feedback on my clipless pedal question. I've decided to wait until I can get the clipless pedals since that's what I realy want.

Warm, sunny days have made it very easy to get outside for runs and rides. I've noticed an improvement in my swimming and cycling this week. Been concentrating on form and pacing. I've also started doing yoga again.

Lisa

2011-05-19 11:13 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Thought of the day.

Triathlon is a great way to learn about yourself.
Things I have learned about myself:

-The majority of my physical limitations only exist between my ears.
-Nothing is more satisfying than doing something you once believed was impossible.
-Without risk there is no reward.
-Sometimes you’re the windshield, sometimes you’re the bug.
-That hollow feeling in your legs after you will your self through a hard race/workout is priceless because it means you gave it your all.
-I am capable of more than I ever imagined.
-You don’t have to finish first to win.
-You always have enough time to do the things you really want to do.
-Almost any problem can be solved with proper balance and proper lubrication.
-Staying in the moment and enjoying the ride will get you through whatever life throws your way.
-The top priority is to finish what you start and have fun doing it.
-Even though I am an engineer, computers still kick my tail.

Andy
2011-05-19 11:20 PM
in reply to: #3509240

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Great job NW! Training can be a great stress releaver and certainly helps keep me sane as well. If you have to juggle your routine don't sweat it. You gotta do what you gotta do. Enjoy the nice weather and being able to see improvement is a great thing!

Have fun!

Andy
2011-05-20 9:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Luis Obispo County, CA

I have a TYR bag that's a backpack as well.  Lots of pockets, sections, place for a wetwuit, helmet, etc.  I think 2 of the key feature are it being a back pack so it's wasier on your shoulders and you can carry it more easily to and from transition if you're riding or pushing your bike.  Also, a nice handle at the top of the bag is good for when you want to carry it.  A thin strap will cut into your hand due to the weight of all your gear.

Really good week for me.  Had great runs on Tuesday and Thursday with not only improved speed, but easier effort as well, particulalry on the hills.  Wednesday was a faster swim for me.  Doing really well following my nutrition program and the weight is dropping nicely.

Today was Bike to Work day.  Rode to work on the Rock Creek Park Trail.  Pretty sloppy with all the rain we had last night, so the going was slow.  Only had a few minutes left to enter my name in the drawing.  10 minutes later, I was very shocked to hear my name being called to win a new hybrid bike.  Sweet!  Good Karma as my college son is asking to take my Trek mountain bike back to college with him.  So, it all worked out.  I'm pretty jazzed with the good training week, topped with winning a nice bike.

2011-05-20 6:02 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Good job Tom! I'd love to ride my bike to work but I think I'd get run down on Allendale or 202 where the shoulder is non existant and the drivers either aren't awake or woke up on the wrong side of the bed. I'll run on those roads facing traffic but don't have the guts to ride with it with those nutjobs coming from behind.

Congrats on winning the Hybrid! Definitely good karma! Have you gotten your boss out there on the bike trail with you? Heard he is getting into cycling.

My next big race is going to be Eagleman next month, but I may do an Olympic this weekend if Escape from Fort Delaware still has race day entry spots available, and Rev3 Quazzy if my foot cooperates.

Andy
2011-05-20 8:31 PM

Running a 5k tomorrow - the Salus Wisconsin Corporate Championship. It'll be my first "race" of any kind since high school track days. Oh yeah - just got the invite to my 25th class reunion - so I guess it's been a while.

Amazing what difference a year can make - 12 months ago there's no way I would have guessed that I'd be running at all - never could get my mind to believe it was fun/worth really putting effort forth. Thanks to my English Setter though - that changed! And I am actually looking forward to the event!

So - last minute question. When I go on runs per my training plan I usually just get home from work or squeeze a run in before or around noon-time - little time to warm up so I just start a bit slow and speed up after a few hundred yards. Any recommendations on an effective way to warm up for a 5k? I imagine I'll just observe and copy someone who looks like they know what they're doing... hope I choose well?! Or maybe I'll just start a bit slow and... yea, you get the idea.

And bonus question (very late for this I know!?) - any thoughts on pre-race fueling? I'm guessing it's not a huge deal for a 5k, yet this is just one more step towards my tri's later so a good chance to learn. I've got about an hour drive to get to the event and probably another hour of picking up packets/talking/group photo/milling around. So was planning to eat my normal breakfast at home (oatmeal/banana/skim milk with protein mix)... which would be like T minus 2 1/2 to 3 hours before the start. And probably grab another banana and/or a bonk breaker bar an hour or so before the race with a scoop of EFS/water to drink. Am I over thinking this?

2011-05-20 9:09 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Finally finished my race report. Hope this helps a bit.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

For just about any race, breakfast is very important. You definietly want to eat something about 2-3 hours before hand and top of your tanks. You don't want anything too heavy or greasy, but some fiber and carbs and maybe a little caffine is a good thing. They about 30-45 minutes prior to race time is a good time for a shot of EFS liquid shot or GU or Powergel, etc and wash it down with some sports drink. Again alot of folks swear by caffine right before the race, (but I wouldn't do something carbonated like Red Bull as bubble in your gut aren't normally a good thing.) About 300 calories is a good target 2-3 hours before and 100 cals 30-45 min before should have you topped off nice but not weighed down.

Good luck and have fun. BTW so you don't feel old my 25th reunion is coming up pretty soom too!

Andy
2011-05-20 9:15 PM
in reply to: #3510833

Regular
Subject: RE: First 5k

Good luck, bl! I ran my first 5k earlier this year, it was exciting! I'm not qualified to give advice -I am a tri-embyro, FWIW- but I read you weren't supposed to eat too much, so I didn't. Let's see, what did I eat? I think half of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, part of a V8 and some protein shake. Probably won't find that in the literature, but it is what I was used to. Anyways, I found myself a little low on energy around the second mile; because of all the excitement, I ran the first mile a little faster than normal I realized later. Definitely hard to run your own pace amongst 'the herd', it's so easy to get caught up in it all. The day I ran it was cold, around 50 degrees, so I had a windbreaker on as well as a ball cap. By the second mile, I was ready to throw them off to the side; body was running hot by then even with the cold, so don't over dress. There was only one water station on our course, near the end of the second mile, and if I had to do it over again I would of drank more than just the couple two or three swallows I did; I felt the liquid in my body fairly quickily and it was welcome. More would of been more welcome!

So, yeah, just some of my experience. Good luck with yours, I'm sure it will be fun. Mine was great...although I did get passed by a gal pushing a baby stroller...it had to be motorized! I will get her next year!Tongue out

2011-05-20 9:46 PM
in reply to: #3503088

User image

Chandler, AZ
Congrats on a nice finish, Andy. Mid-pack after a bout with PF sounds great. Great inspiration for the rest of us.
2011-05-20 9:52 PM
in reply to: #3509701

Regular
Thanks for the bag advice, 'preciate it. Wow, you won a bike, how cool! I wish my good weeks were topped off like that Smile 
2011-05-20 10:02 PM
in reply to: #3509239

Regular
Thanks for the bag advice Andy, but I couldn't find a bag specific to that name, would it be a 'quick change bag' ? It's funny, our 'excellent adventure group' forum was the seventh item in the Google search, so if folks start trying to contact you about it, you'll know why...Laughing

2011-05-20 10:18 PM

Andy - Thanks for the race report - congrats on finishing as well as you did while it sounds like you're still recovering from PF. Nice.

And I really appreciate the rapid advice from both you and Phaethon. Lots to learn and thankful for the ideas. Sounds like I may have some of the right ideas, yet will substitute a swig of the EFS liquid shot vs. the more solid food before the race! Caffeine, eh? Not much if any of that in my diet for a loooong time. Think I'll skip that this time around and play around with it on training runs over the next couple weeks.

2011-05-21 6:54 PM

Very happy with my 1st race... although immediately after the race I was actually disappointed from the 2nd half of the race... I was keeping pace with a friend until half way and ran out of steam (mentally I think more than physically - leg muscles seemed to be hunky dory, yet the lungs were conspiring to start a rebellion). Even with the breakfast 3 hours early and 1/2 a EFS liquid shot cask (and yes - I took some caffiene as well) 1/2 hour beforehand... so actually I walked about 10 steps three times in the second part. My goal was to run the whole thing without stopping -  so didn't achieve that goal. Yet... my other/main goal was to finish with an 8:30 min/mile pace...

So after I saw the timing results my opinion changed dramatically - even with the short walks I averaged 8 minutes 8 seconds per mile! Much better than I thought I would or could. I guess when training alone listening to music I keep a pretty consistent pace. When running with others I apparently couldn't tell I was running at a faster clip. Maybe it was the caffeine? heh.

At any rate - this was my first race over one mile and even with the walk breaks I really exceeded my expectations, so that's a win!

2011-05-22 12:19 AM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Great job on the race today (OK yesterday by the time I hit save)! Getting in a pack and the adrenlin of walking to the starting line typically helps push you along a bit, but doesn't it feel great when you smash a goal like that. Way to GO!

My son Adrian came down with something this afternoon and had a fever spiking to 103F. So he won't be going to church with his mother tomorrow and I won't be racing. Guess it wasn't in the cards this year. No big deal.

Both my boys tested in Karate this morning and Matt is now a Green Belt and Adrian got promoted to a black belt. Very proud of them both, but now not only is my 8th grade son just as tall as me, but he probably can kick my butt!

Andy
2011-05-22 8:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Nice job on the race pace, even with the walking.  I know what you mean about training runs listening to music vs being with other people.  I do my runs solo for the most part, but when my wife wants to run with me or her running group, I find it much harder to keep my pace what i feel like. 

I have a Garmin 305, and that's great for managing your pace.  I highly recommend any kind of GPS device for anyone to keep track of their running and biking.  It provides excellent feedback during your training, as well as lots af good data after the workout to see what you did, elevation changes, heart rate changes, etc.

2011-05-22 8:15 AM
in reply to: #3510670

User image

Extreme Veteran

southwestmba - 2011-05-20 6:02 PM Good job Tom! I'd love to ride my bike to work but I think I'd get run down on Allendale or 202 where the shoulder is non existant and the drivers either aren't awake or woke up on the wrong side of the bed. I'll run on those roads facing traffic but don't have the guts to ride with it with those nutjobs coming from behind. Congrats on winning the Hybrid! Definitely good karma! Have you gotten your boss out there on the bike trail with you? Heard he is getting into cycling. My next big race is going to be Eagleman next month, but I may do an Olympic this weekend if Escape from Fort Delaware still has race day entry spots available, and Rev3 Quazzy if my foot cooperates. Andy

I'm lucky to live where I do where there are so many bike and running paths.  I would never ride anything like 202.  I still have to watch for the idiots at the intersections. 

4 weeks to the DC Tri for me

2011-05-22 11:27 AM
in reply to: #3511674

Regular

Grats and good job! 8:08 per mile, with breaks, sweet!

Next!

2011-05-22 3:06 PM

Giving my check in. Training is going ok (5 weeks til my HIM). I'm pretty confident in the swim and run, but getting the miles on the bike continues to be a problem. Went on vacation this last week, and I actually got 3 workouts in (running on the beach=not as picturesque as it sounds!)

On the the way back, I had to good fortune to see the 1st Ironman in Texas, which was amazing. The pros really are cool guys, and it was neat to cheer on all the amateurs. However, all of this raised a couple questions for longer distances.

-How do you hydrate/eat on the bike in the longer races? Are there aid stations you stop at (like on runs) or do you need to take everything with you?

-When/how often would you put sunscreen on during the race?

-What type of nutrition do you eat when you're out 6+ hours? Is it all just GUs or is there something more substantial?

Steven

2011-05-22 6:55 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Steven

During an Ironman, it is vital to keep up with your nutrition on the bike. On the bike you can put back all the calories and nutrients you are sweating out, on the run you phyically can't. So it is very important to be topped off when you finish the bike.

Typically they have aid stations every 10 miles or so on the bike and every mile on the run. I typically take 2 bottles of EFS and 2 flasks of EFS Liquid in my Bento bag (a small bag you secure to the headset and top tube. Ironmans also have Special Needs bags which you stop and pick up about half way thru the bike and another on the run. I tend to go thru a bottle an hour and a flask every 90 min (Drink every 15 min and liquid shot/Gu every 30 min). So at Special needs I'll reload will two new flasks and bottles. So I'll take a bottle of gatorade or whatever they have on the bike course but I don't need any nutrion. However they typically had GU and fruit so you can use that. Many will pack something solid in their Special Needs bag. (A Erin's Bakers Breakfast cookie or a PB&J sanwich are good but be sure to grab some extra water to wash that down and not throw your supply. You can drop old bottles and trash at each aid station, but understand you won't get one of your bottle back when you toss it at an aid station (You will typically get what you drop off in your special needs bag.

On the run, I typically take a flask with me and use the course for liquids. After about the first 10K, go to flat cola and chicken broth if they have it, along with grapes and bannanas. After 9-10 hour changing up your routine and taste options picks you up and flat cola is a put shot of sugar and caffine which gives you a quick boost which lasts about long enough to get you to the next aid station and do it again.

Sunscreen: Most Ironman race will have volunteers with sunscreen to hook you up in T1 and T2. If they don't have a sunscreen station make sure you pack it in transition and apply it then. Most halfs or shorter you have to do it yourself. Make sure to get the back of the arm holes for you jersey top and, if you have a two piece, your lower back. I got the most evil burn in Kona cause my shirt rode up on the bike and exposed that area. Only spot that got burnt and I couldn't sit back for a week. Tough flight home.

Andy
2011-05-23 8:06 PM

Ive got a couple of biking questions:

1. Instead of using biking shorts, is there any reason not to get a padded seat?

2. I have a trek 7200 hybrid bike and a borrowed road bike.  When I ride with my wife I usually ride the trek as it is not as fast and it lets us ride at the same pace.  I have to work hard to keep up with her on the hybrid, and just kind of cruise if Im on the road bike.  Is riding a lighter bike faster better training than riding a heavy bike slower?

3.I understand drafting behind people on a bike makes it a lot easier to go fast.  One person fighting the wind.  But in general why do people get all bunched up when they ride in a group.  It just seems more dangerous.  Is there any reason this is done besides speed?

I have been using your tip about using a lower gear going up hills.  Thanks, tuna.   

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Southwestmba/Andy's excellent adventure group-Full Rss Feed  

of 14