BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 298

2011-04-08 2:04 PM
in reply to: #3436424

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP
fattyfatfat - 2011-04-08 12:53 PM
copa2251 - 2011-04-08 8:51 AM

Name: David

Story: I've always enjoyed sport but mainly for the social (read drinking) side until my mid-30's, before that I played squash and rugby. I decided to start running so I could take part in the Sydney City 2 Surf run a few years ago - the biggest fun run in the World and got hooked!

I'm a surf lifesaver and so can swim happily in the ocean but didn't get a bike until last September when I decided to start training for triathlons. I'm slowly getting stronger on the bike but still very slow.

I was born and raised in the UK but came to Australia in my 20's, officially emigrating 7 years ago.

We live by the beach near Noosa (home to the Noosa Triathlon).

Family status: Married to Allison, 3 kids: Harriet 12, Alice 9 and Oliver 7 plus a yellow labrador called George and a Siamese cat called Barnie!

My kids keep telling me how I ruined their last birthdays, Christmas etc. by going out for a run before they could open their presents...

Current training: I'm just coming to the end of a recovery week in my 14 week training plan, next week is week 11 and so my first Olympic Tri is fast approaching - Hervey Bay. I've done a couple of sprint tri's (mini-sprint) so far this season and have been accepted for the Noosa Tri in October and will fit in a half marathon probably in July.

I did a 10k and a 5k race a few weeks ago and recorded new PR's which is encouraging considering my running volume has been reduced to fit in with tri training.

My weakness is cycling since I only got the bike 6 months ago, I'm going to attempt some group rides next week for the first time.

Looking forward to training with you all,

Dave

TELL US SOME SHARK STORIES!!!!  gotta be 30 foot great whites and 24.3 foot tiger sharks!!!

^^^ I agree.  I have a slight obsession with Australia, so consider yourself warned!  Hubby and I are TRYING to plan a trip in the next 2 years or so, but it's so darn expensive, and I want to stay for like a month because who knows if I'll ever get back?  I can't wait!!!

2011-04-08 2:20 PM
in reply to: #3436423

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
SSMinnow - 2011-04-08 12:53 PM

Serious swimming question ahead:  Talk to me about your kick and its importance to your swim.....

What say you?

I took a couple of lessons solely to learn the 2 beat kick.  One of the best things I ever did!  I was taught to only use it only for rotation and balance purposes, as our resident swim expert Kayla explained.  Once you get it, it is amazing what is does for you balance in the water. Since then I don't think about my kick except to ensure that I am fully rotating, stretching, and gliding.  Any propulsion is a free benefit.  But, be warned, I just started swimming again!  Wink

It is one of the reasons you have to be careful what Master program you are attending and make sure the coach knows what your goals are.  I don't believe you are trying to qualify for the State Masters Swim program, so don't train like you are trying to qualify?  

The meat of the ST article that John posted is this......  and I agree x 100

Here then is my advice for you as a triathlete: If your big race is in salt water and wetsuit legal, your buoyancy is sufficient not to need to worry much about your legs. Use a two-beat or very soft six-beat kick and work mostly on your pull and high stroke rate, keeping the head down and elbows high to reduce drag. If your big race is in fresh water and without a wetsuit, then work more on your legs and consider using more of a hip-driven technique, especially if you can kick fast. 

2011-04-08 2:38 PM
in reply to: #3436423

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
SSMinnow - 2011-04-08 1:53 PM

Serious swimming question ahead:  Talk to me about your kick and its importance to your swim.....

I asked my Master's coach why she puts so much kicking in our workouts....her response is most triathletes rely too heavily on their wetsuits and kick very little in the pool/OWS as a result.  She believes kicking (flutter, 2 beat, even 6 beat) engage the core and assist in better rotation.  Her suggestion was to maintain a kick even while in OWS.  Normally I barely kick (or at least I don't think I do), but today I really concentrated on it and it did seem to provide better body position and more glide.

What say you?

My masters coach believes that I sprained my ankle & tore my hip just to deprive him of the satisfaction of fixing my kick. I've been a swimmer my whole life, taught, coached, etc., and my kick has always, and continues to, simply suck. I have a peculiarly rhythmic 4-beat kick (when my legs are operational at least), decent rotation, and no matter what part of the kick I focus on, it still sucks. It's non-propelling. Would like to actually be able to sustain forward movement with just my legs at some point, but I'm not sweating it......

Marla

2011-04-08 2:40 PM
in reply to: #3436502

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
kkcbelle - 2011-04-08 2:30 PM
fattyfatfat - 2011-04-08 11:04 AM

I asked my Master's coach why she puts so much kicking in our workouts....her response is most triathletes rely too heavily on their wetsuits and kick very little in the pool/OWS as a result.  She believes kicking (flutter, 2 beat, even 6 beat) engage the core and assist in better rotation.  Her suggestion was to maintain a kick even while in OWS.  Normally I barely kick (or at least I don't think I do), but today I really concentrated on it and it did seem to provide better body position and more glide.

What say you?

well i suck but since kyla is currently slacking off on the trainer,  here.  he writes the most stuff that makes sense to me, this one just happens to be from st. 

edit.. like the videos in the article too.

Now I'm home, weeping a bit, icing my hamstring/glute... Was out running trails w/son and dog, tripped and fell, had a popping feeling in hamstring as I went down. Wah. Shouted major choice words and immediately had a tantrum. After figuring I can walk slowly, I hobbled a bit with my buddy before sending him 1.5 miles home to get Dad to come and rescue me. I'll be OK -- not sure what it is but the fact I can walk says it's not a tear.

Anyway, I'm a 2-beat kicker for sure, but when I am really thinking about things I use that to fuel my rotation for sure. As I reach, I can feel it in the hip flexors -- really reach and rotate at the same time. I don't think the kick should be any real EFFORT, but don't drag the legs and certainly don't let them sink! Does that make sense???

OUCH. So sorry. Enjoy the ice.

Marla

2011-04-08 2:43 PM
in reply to: #3436563

User image

Master
dalessit - 2011-04-08 12:02 PM

What say you?

well i suck but since kyla is currently slacking off on the trainer,  here.  he writes the most stuff that makes sense to me, this one just happens to be from st. 

Now I'm home, weeping a bit, icing my hamstring/glute... Was out running trails w/son and dog, tripped and fell, had a popping feeling in hamstring as I went down. Wah. Shouted major choice words and immediately had a tantrum. After figuring I can walk slowly, I hobbled a bit with my buddy before sending him 1.5 miles home to get Dad to come and rescue me. I'll be OK -- not sure what it is but the fact I can walk says it's not a tear.

Anyway, I'm a 2-beat kicker for sure, but when I am really thinking about things I use that to fuel my rotation for sure. As I reach, I can feel it in the hip flexors -- really reach and rotate at the same time. I don't think the kick should be any real EFFORT, but don't drag the legs and certainly don't let them sink! Does that make sense???

Ouch sorry to hear that.  I know the situation isn't funny but when I first read it, I thought you wrote you had a pooping feeling...

Nah... that's Fatty's bailiwick today.

I'll live.

2011-04-08 2:50 PM
in reply to: #3436643

User image

Champion
marietta
kkcbelle - 2011-04-08 3:43 PM
dalessit - 2011-04-08 12:02 PM

What say you?

Ouch sorry to hear that.  I know the situation isn't funny but when I first read it, I thought you wrote you had a pooping feeling...

Nah... that's Fatty's bailiwick today.

I'll live.

ha.  amazing how dehydrated it makes ya.

2011-04-08 5:04 PM
in reply to: #3436502

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
kkcbelle - 2011-04-08 11:30 AM

What say you?

OOOWWWW!   Sending hugs, Kyla....since I'm sure half this MG will send scorn....   Wink  My run STUNK today.

2011-04-08 5:16 PM
in reply to: #3434069

User image

Master

Sending out a request for both HTFU and sympathy.

Added a new drug to my RA regimen 3 weeks ago.  You've seen the ads on TV - Enbrel.  High hopes for really helping, my doc has been encouraging me to step up to this level of meds for quite a while now.  Problems are:

1) $$$.  Insurance will cover most, but we're looking $700 per shot, and I need one a week.  Frustrating process getting all of the approvals in line.  The pharmaceutical company sent out the first round for free, but now we're scrambling.

2) 3-6 months before results kick in.....odds are good it will work, but not a guarantee, and that's a huge wait to know one way or the other.

3) Short term side effects that I'm feeling are significant pain at injection, soreness for 2-3 days at injection site; and yukky flu-like symptoms for 24-48 hours post injection.

4) Long-term cons include big increase in cancer rates...plus a real decrease in immune functions.  Scary.

Silly as it sounds, my biggest frustration now is trying to fit life and workouts around the 'feeling crappy' times.  Doc says I won't cause any additional problems training during the yukky times - will just affect how I feel.  But I FEEL like I have the flu. 

WAH.

2011-04-08 5:23 PM
in reply to: #3436570

User image

Expert
Noosa
SoccerGK - 2011-04-09 5:04 AM

Story: I've always enjoyed sport but mainly for the social (read drinking) side until my mid-30's, before that I played squash and rugby. I decided to start running so I could take part in the Sydney City 2 Surf run a few years ago - the biggest fun run in the World and got hooked!

I'm a surf lifesaver and so can swim happily in the ocean but didn't get a bike until last September when I decided to start training for triathlons. I'm slowly getting stronger on the bike but still very slow.

I was born and raised in the UK but came to Australia in my 20's, officially emigrating 7 years ago.

Family status: Married to Allison, 3 kids: Harriet 12, Alice 9 and Oliver 7 plus a yellow labrador called George and a Siamese cat called Barnie!

My kids keep telling me how I ruined their last birthdays, Christmas etc. by going out for a run before they could open their presents...

Current training: I'm just coming to the end of a recovery week in my 14 week training plan, next week is week 11 and so my first Olympic Tri is fast approaching - Hervey Bay. I've done a couple of sprint tri's (mini-sprint) so far this season and have been accepted for the Noosa Tri in October and will fit in a half marathon probably in July.

I did a 10k and a 5k race a few weeks ago and recorded new PR's which is encouraging considering my running volume has been reduced to fit in with tri training.

My weakness is cycling since I only got the bike 6 months ago, I'm going to attempt some group rides next week for the first time.

Dave

TELL US SOME SHARK STORIES!!!!  gotta be 30 foot great whites and 24.3 foot tiger sharks!!!

^^^ I agree.  I have a slight obsession with Australia, so consider yourself warned!  Hubby and I are TRYING to plan a trip in the next 2 years or so, but it's so darn expensive, and I want to stay for like a month because who knows if I'll ever get back?  I can't wait!!!

Wow, a lot of posting while I've been asleep!!  That's the problem with living on the other side of the world!

Shark stories?? We tend to ignore shark attacks here, its amazing how they get pushed to some small section on page 10 in the paper, I think it's a form of national denial.

Last year after a series of attacks around Sydney they almost cancelled an ocean swim next to the Opera House in Sydney Harbour (you should NEVER swim in a harbour or rivermouth, apart from when someone organises an ocean swim or triathlon...). In the end they posted scuba divers under the swimmers who were meant to scare the sharks away! Not sure who volunteered for that job???!

Anyway, I'm enjoying the last couple of days of my recovery week, just need to fit in a quick 1200m easy pace swim.

The kick thing always puzzles me a bit, I've been told that kids use their legs a lot and gain large amounts of propulsion from it but adult swimmers should mainly concentrate on a light kick which prevents drag and allows the body to rate as one streamlined unit.

What do people think about the merits of squad swimming compared to following a tri plan routine on your own?

Same with the bike riding, do group rides make you progress quicker or just humiliate you?Cry

2011-04-08 5:34 PM

User image

Master
I get a tiny bit faster on every hard group ride.....the humiliation factor helps me!!  Same with group swims, but if the others aren't faster, I'll slack off.
2011-04-08 5:53 PM
in reply to: #3436859

Master
Charlotte, NC
velcromom - 2011-04-08 6:16 PM

Added a new drug to my RA regimen 3 weeks ago.  You've seen the ads on TV - Enbrel.  High hopes for really helping, my doc has been encouraging me to step up to this level of meds for quite a while now.  Problems are:

1) $$$.  Insurance will cover most, but we're looking $700 per shot, and I need one a week.  Frustrating process getting all of the approvals in line.  The pharmaceutical company sent out the first round for free, but now we're scrambling.

2) 3-6 months before results kick in.....odds are good it will work, but not a guarantee, and that's a huge wait to know one way or the other.

3) Short term side effects that I'm feeling are significant pain at injection, soreness for 2-3 days at injection site; and yukky flu-like symptoms for 24-48 hours post injection.

4) Long-term cons include big increase in cancer rates...plus a real decrease in immune functions.  Scary.

Silly as it sounds, my biggest frustration now is trying to fit life and workouts around the 'feeling crappy' times.  Doc says I won't cause any additional problems training during the yukky times - will just affect how I feel.  But I FEEL like I have the flu. 

WAH.

Linda,

You are amazing.  I have nothing to complain about when you are battling something like that.  You are such an inspiration, plus you have kids.  You rock!!!  I really hope all this works for you.  My dad was diagnosed with MS 25 years ago and is still doing marathons today.  I have so much respect for people who continue to pursue physical goals despite medical "limitations". 

2011-04-08 6:04 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
wow linda!  so sorry to hear all this.   will keep you in the prayers. 
2011-04-08 6:04 PM
in reply to: #3435393

User image

Veteran
Austin
SSMinnow - 2011-04-07 8:49 PM

What makes me a good part of this group: I'm the resident cheerleader. I want everyone to succeed, to stay positive and never give up.  I'm a classic example of how a positive attitude can take you a long way when talent is in short supply! Perserverance and dedication will take you far peeps!!

It is so wonderful to read that!  I'm pretty much trying to put that to the test and always get inspired seeing anyone who has traveled that path.

2011-04-08 6:19 PM
in reply to: #3436570

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lamar
SoccerGK - 2011-04-08 1:04 PM

Dave

I made my kids wait to open up gifts while me and my friend and I went Duck and Pheasant Hunting so they had to wait til 10 or 11 that day. Just teaches them patience

2011-04-08 6:20 PM
in reply to: #3436845

User image

Master
velcromom - 2011-04-08 3:04 PM
kkcbelle - 2011-04-08 11:30 AM

What say you?

OOOWWWW!   Sending hugs, Kyla....since I'm sure half this MG will send scorn....   Wink  My run STUNK today.

Hugs right back to you, MamaLinda. I'm so sorry about the meds issue... lots of things about that suck. Let's hope they work some crazy magic and are worth the sacrifices. Wish I could wave one of my son's Imagination Sticks (think Magic Wand, made from sticks in the forrest... smoothed, sharpened, boiled) and make it all better. You are amazing and such an inspiration. Kiss

2011-04-08 6:24 PM
in reply to: #3436859

User image

Elite
san francisco
velcromom - 2011-04-08 3:16 PM

WAH.

Major Hugs to you, Linda!  You are truly a warrior with a great attitude and it shows in everything you do.  Including Old La Honda and Tunitas!!!  Thinking positive healing thoughts for you. 

2011-04-08 6:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lamar
Linda you keep fighting and we will have your back.
2011-04-08 7:14 PM
in reply to: #3436445

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
fattyfatfat - 2011-04-08 1:04 PM

What say you?

Very insightful article and video.  Gary Hall Sr. really is amazing, isn't he? Thanks to everyone who gave me their perspective on the importance of the kick.  Why the heck didn't you tell me that sooner?   

Dino--my Masters coach knows my background well.  She's been doing tris for 15 years and KQ'ed several times.  She's excellent at demonstrating and talking about the why behind we do what we do....it's more me being able to implement what she suggests effectively.  When you have so much to work on it can make your head spin!!

Ah, back to the pool on Sunday!

2011-04-08 7:19 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

I feel like I left for an afternoon and the MG exploded!!!

Really psyched to have so many new people in the group!  Thanks to those that opened up their logs and uploaded new avatars.  Love to put a name with a face.

Kyla--I gave you all my sage advice earlier, so I'll just remind you that your training has gone really well so far and missing a few days to get that sucker healed up will only help you.....positive thoughts coming your way.

Linda--I didn't know you had to be on drug therapy for RA.  How the heck are you such a good runner under those circumstances?  As someone who has to take meds every day, I feel your pain.  Often we do what we have to do to keep up with the life we lead. Hang in there.

Good luck to all of our racers!!!!!  I picked up my teams packet today...the race is the 100K National Championships in addition to a 50K/50K relay.  The ultra people are a different breed, but boy are they awesome to watch.  So many have the smoothest strides even after 55m!  Should be a fun day.

2011-04-08 7:21 PM
in reply to: #3436920

User image

Veteran
Austin
kt65 - 2011-04-08 6:24 PM
velcromom - 2011-04-08 3:16 PM

WAH.

Major Hugs to you, Linda!  You are truly a warrior with a great attitude and it shows in everything you do.  Including Old La Honda and Tunitas!!!  Thinking positive healing thoughts for you. 

x2

2011-04-08 7:38 PM
in reply to: #3436964

Master
Charlotte, NC
SSMinnow - 2011-04-08 8:19 PM

I feel like I left for an afternoon and the MG exploded!!!

Really psyched to have so many new people in the group!  Thanks to those that opened up their logs and uploaded new avatars.  Love to put a name with a face.

Kyla--I gave you all my sage advice earlier, so I'll just remind you that your training has gone really well so far and missing a few days to get that sucker healed up will only help you.....positive thoughts coming your way.

Linda--I didn't know you had to be on drug therapy for RA.  How the heck are you such a good runner under those circumstances?  As someone who has to take meds every day, I feel your pain.  Often we do what we have to do to keep up with the life we lead. Hang in there.

Good luck to all of our racers!!!!!  I picked up my teams packet today...the race is the 100K National Championships in addition to a 50K/50K relay.  The ultra people are a different breed, but boy are they awesome to watch.  So many have the smoothest strides even after 55m!  Should be a fun day.

I can't wait to do an ultra!!!

2011-04-08 7:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin

I'm going to just pretend it is okay to join, since I didn't hear either way.  You'll have to just kick me out if you don't want me!  Here is a more complete bio:

NAME: lounav/Louise

STORY: My last athletic event was at a track meet in 7th grade.  I only got to participate because only one person was slated to do the 300 hurdles and I was a shoe-in to place.  There is a reason that was my last race, as I crashed and burned.  When I stop and look at what I'm doing now compared to 6 months ago, or 2 years ago, I find myself in disbelief.  I never would have thought I would ever train for a tri.  I wasn't a swimmer, a biker, or a runner.  But, a friend mentioned she was looking for a training partner for a Danskin tri and I thought, hey why not?  Now, I'm here.  I have tons to learn, and love learning it.  

FAMILY STATUS: Married, two kids - daughter is 6y/o and son is 2y/o.  I'm a stay-at-home mom since my son was born.   

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm half way through the 20 week 3xbalanced BT olympic plan.  I'm really fairly slow across the board, but have made some major improvements in the last 3-4 months since I really started training.  Swimming is probably my weakest, but I think it is also my favorite.  It just feels peaceful to me.  Biking was scary to me when I started, but I'm slowly getting there.  I do a lot of RPM classes, due to the challenges of training with kids, but try to get out on the road 1-2x week on my bike.

2011 RACES:  My first tri is a sprint Danskin tri on June 5th.  From there I'm not sure...

WEIGHTLOSS: I lost a good bit of weight after my son was born, when I started working out at the local Y (non s/b/r).  Now I'm happy with my weight and am enjoying getting stronger with my training. 

WHAT DO YOU BRING TO THIS MG?  
Well, lots of questions.  Excitement.  I've never been athletic, or mistaken as athletic.  So, instead I bring a lot of dedication and stubbornness. 

2011-04-08 7:44 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh

Linda: Hoping the side effect disappear quickly.

Suzy: Funny story. Over at Slowtwich, Gary Hall, Sr.'s first posts was called "the fundamentals of swimming." He said:

For the past year, my son, Richard, and I have been putting together a DVD that would help reduce the complex physical laws that enable us to swim fast, or not, into simple graphic terms and great drills. I think we have succeeded.
It is not easy to make drag, motion and inertia entertaining, but, thanks to Richard, who has a great skill in underwater photography and an appreciation for music, this may be the most enjoyable and important 30 minutes in your swimming future.
It doesn't matter if you are trying to win the Olympic 50 meters, like Gary Jr, or make a 2 1/2 mile ocean swim seem easy, the fundamentals of swimming fast are the same. Techniques may differ, but the fundamentals do not.
The DVD, entitled (surprise) Fundamentals of Fast Swimming, is set to release next week, but if you purchase today on http://www.theraceclub.com, you will get a 12% discount. Hope you enjoy it.

The first response was by "Canadian" who said:

What is your swimming history?

Gary's response:

Good question. Retired physician. Three time Olympian (68, 72, 76) 3 Olympic medals, 10 world records. Son, Gary Jr, 3 time Olympian (96, 2000, 2004), 10 Olympic medals. Currently, Head coach and technical director of the The Race Club, which sent 33 swimmers to the past three Olympics and earned 18 Olympic medals.
I was personally a triathlete for 10 years in Arizona competing in Olympic distances only. Now stick to swimming where I have set 6 Masters World Records.

Canadian's follow up: Holy sh*t! and Sorry. I didn't know who he was. Kinda put my foot in my mouth.

One of my favorite threads there!

2011-04-08 7:48 PM
in reply to: #3435357

User image

Champion
marietta
fattyfatfat - 2011-04-07 9:26 PM
lounav - 2011-04-07 9:18 PM

Hi all-

I'd love to join if you will take another newbie.  I'm a little intimidated to join a group that already has so much history.  But, I'm also really interested in being in a group that has as much traffic as this one historically has.  Okay, let's face it, I come to BT way too much and a fast-moving group would fit my style.

I'm new to the tri world, every part of it.  I am training for my first sprint distance in June.  I'm on week 12 of the 20 week 3x BT olympic plan.  It has been going well.  I'm still nice and slow, but feeling more comfortable.  Six months ago I started slowly running because I was taking a break from my local Y (my son was going through a biting stage, and I thought it was best to find something else to do before he got kicked out!).  Then a little after that a friend mentioned she was looking for some to train with for a tri, and somehow I said I would do it.  Then came my first time swimming laps and my first time riding a bike since childhood...   I'm not a natural athlete, but I do try to work hard to make up for it.    

damn, i saw austin and was hoping this was lance.  but louise will work.  welcome!

better?          :-)

2011-04-08 7:53 PM
in reply to: #3436999

User image

Veteran
Austin
fattyfatfat - 2011-04-08 7:48 PM
fattyfatfat - 2011-04-07 9:26 PM
lounav - 2011-04-07 9:18 PM

Hi all-

I'd love to join if you will take another newbie.  I'm a little intimidated to join a group that already has so much history.  But, I'm also really interested in being in a group that has as much traffic as this one historically has.  Okay, let's face it, I come to BT way too much and a fast-moving group would fit my style.

I'm new to the tri world, every part of it.  I am training for my first sprint distance in June.  I'm on week 12 of the 20 week 3x BT olympic plan.  It has been going well.  I'm still nice and slow, but feeling more comfortable.  Six months ago I started slowly running because I was taking a break from my local Y (my son was going through a biting stage, and I thought it was best to find something else to do before he got kicked out!).  Then a little after that a friend mentioned she was looking for some to train with for a tri, and somehow I said I would do it.  Then came my first time swimming laps and my first time riding a bike since childhood...   I'm not a natural athlete, but I do try to work hard to make up for it.    

damn, i saw austin and was hoping this was lance.  but louise will work.  welcome!

better?          :-)

much better!  Thanks.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN fast, furious, and closed Rss Feed  

of 298