BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-04-16 9:47 AM
in reply to: #3449941

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: kenj's group open!
Viyoung - 2011-04-16 9:55 AM

wow, this looks like a great group.  Ice man, what an inspirational story!  Great to hear about it.

RE: GI issues - I am very interested in this discussion.  I'm feeling like I need to cut meat out of my diet - or at least limit it to protein that is lean and easily digestible.  I had 2 chicken drumsticks with skin 1 hour before my swim on Thursday night and it gave me a lot of distress.  I paid for it all day yesterday.  What do the rest of you eat for protein?  Has anyone tried nutritional yeast? 

RE: sports watches/heart rate monitor/pedometer/etc.  I'm looking for an all around  device that I can carry around easily, preferably on my wrist, that will measure my mileage when I ride, and my distance when I walk/run, as well as my heartrate.  Any advice?

Protein for me is an important part of my daily diet.  My dad raises black angus cattle, so that is part of it (yummy), but I try to limit it to once a week and eat leaner forms of protein the rest of the week.  There are plenty of other sources of protein if you prefer a vegetarian based diet.   It think more of your problem Vivian wasn't the protein as much as the timing of eating it.  I know that, especially for swimming and running, that I couldn't eat a lot of protein that close to swimming.  I have to eat something more carb based or an energy bar that close to a workout or I suffer as well.  Protein is important for muscle repair and is recommend post workout. 

I like the Garmin 310xt for sports watch.  What you are looking for is a GPS if you need it to track distances as well as heart rate.  The Garmin 305 is still available and a lower cost option than the 310.  Amazon is a good source for both of these products.  Timex and Suunto have some products as well, not sure of the cost of these, maybe some of the others in the group can recommend them.  Also be sure to check out the product review forum on this site for other recommendations.

2011-04-16 10:03 AM
in reply to: #3449971

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
IceManScott - 2011-04-16 10:15 AM

julta - 2011-04-16 9:08 AM Wow Ice...what a story! You are a true inspiration in all that you have overcome! What is the single biggest impediment to your training & how do you deal with it My biggest impediment is me.....having been more or less sedentary for the first 35ish year of my life and being at heart a true lazy person who just happens to love triathlons, I need to learn to push through the pain. I'm getting better at it but I don't push myself near as hard as I should. Although I continue to get a little faster if I would push I believe I could see much bigger gains. Also I can talk myself out of workout pretty darn easy if I don't get done it early in the day.

My biggest problem is overdoing it. I have to watch my plan and stick to it.  Also time.  Getting to be lots of hours and that means efficiency is critical.  Love my computrainer for the time it saves during the week riding outdoors to a safe site to do workouts. I also bought a treadmill for my wife and I. 

As for talking yourself out of things, I set a workout schedule that is routine and stick to it.  It gets to be habit.  You feel odd if you don't go rather than when you do.  Seems hard but easier than you think.  Mine is Monday, run: Tues, swim am bike pm; Wed. run, recovery spin; Thurs. swim am bike pm; Friday, rest; sat bike, long run; Sunday long bike swim optional.    I toss in a couple of weight sessions, short with high reps low weight.  I do yoga and stretching and foam rollers every day.   Trying to sleep 8 plus.  All good.

Ice I'm with on over doing it. I keep thinking I should do more but I also keep telling myself that's not my goal. I want to be consistent and follow my plan but I'd really love to go out and run 15 miles but I know I'll be paying for it.
2011-04-16 11:49 AM
in reply to: #3434537

User image

Expert
Canada

Well, got my exercise done today.  1 hour spin class...

RE: watches.  Depends on your budget, as does everything in techy, geeky Triathlon!!

Garmin is definitely most common & rightly so, in my opinion.

I had a 305 & worked great.  There are cheap at Costco as well.  I now, also, have a 310XT.  Like it, but a higher pricepoint than 305.

Edited by GoGoGo 2011-04-16 11:49 AM
2011-04-16 12:04 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

IceMan - glad to have you join the group. You brought a lot to the last one we were in!

I spent the morning with my kids picking up trash for community service day. We had the worst stretch in town - across from Walmart! Also it is open and windy there. I have a scheduled recovery run, but am thinking all the walking I did will do - as I DO NOT want to go back outside as it is cold, cloudy and windy!

2011-04-16 12:07 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
I have a polar heart rate monitor, and I just don't like it! It works well enough, just doesn't do all the things I would like it to.  I am debating on upgrading to the Garmin 305, however I need new running shoes (again!) and a wetsuit. Why does this sport have to be so expensive!!!!
2011-04-16 3:23 PM
in reply to: #3450143

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

robingray_260 - 2011-04-16 12:07 PM I have a polar heart rate monitor, and I just don't like it! It works well enough, just doesn't do all the things I would like it to.  I am debating on upgrading to the Garmin 305, however I need new running shoes (again!) and a wetsuit. Why does this sport have to be so expensive!!!!

Robin, thanks and good to see you again.  In answer to your question, we support three sports, not just one.  We are crazy. There are ways to cut costs though.  Running shoes are probably the place that least applies.  I have to have good shoes or I have problems. But bikes can be bought used or built.  Remember, the first time you drive a bike off the LBS floor, it is used.  Lost of pristine bikes our there. Helmets that cost $25 have the same protection rating as one costing $100 or more.  They just weigh a little more. Wet suits can be purchased for $125.  They might not be as high tech as others , but they work.  As for a watch, there are some good ones out there for low cost.  The more you pay, the more they do.  I have a Garmin 310. I needed something to keep pace on the run.  I like that it is water proof.  I do not wear it on the swim, but I feel better in t storms. It stopped working well after being shut off all winter. But that was resolved after I downloaded updated software. No problems since. 

Also I tool bike maintenance courses so I can do the small stuff myself. So it doesn't have to be so expensive if we do a little shopping.

2011-04-16 6:47 PM

User image

Regular
I think my biggest obstacle in training is time. I have all kinds of strange hours so basically I have to split workouts into am and pm and when I get the chance sometimes I can get a run in at lunch if things go smoothly and I am in the office
2011-04-16 8:37 PM
in reply to: #3449941

User image

Regular
Connecticut
Viyoung - 2011-04-16 9:55 AM

RE: GI issues - I am very interested in this discussion.  I'm feeling like I need to cut meat out of my diet - or at least limit it to protein that is lean and easily digestible.  I had 2 chicken drumsticks with skin 1 hour before my swim on Thursday night and it gave me a lot of distress.  I paid for it all day yesterday.  What do the rest of you eat for protein?  Has anyone tried nutritional yeast? 

How were the drumsticks cooked?  I have a hard time with fried food.  I enjoy a good pile of wings every now and again - but they often make me pay.  I eat baked/grilled chicken, pork, fish, shrimp, beans, dairy (low fat cottage cheese & greek yogurt), eggs, and beef (which I try to limit).  I pretty much bake or grill or saute everything.  I try to stay away from too much oil, fried food, and butter.  The greasy stuff really upsets my stomach.

I have had tofu a few times, but I seem to react to it.  My nutritionist told me that I should adjust to it slowly.  (I was diving in and making myself 2 servings at a time.)  I go back and forth on nuts.  I found the Emerald brand cocoa covered almonds are SO yummy (and I hate almonds).  But I have a hard time adding them in and keeping my calories portioned.

2011-04-16 8:40 PM

User image

Regular
Connecticut

WHOO HOO!!  My 5k this morning - did it in just under 34 and a half mins.  My best time ever by THREE minutes.  (it was a nice level run)  It is SO awesome to see all my working out actually paying off.  To see that IT IS making a difference and I AM improving.  (pretty good for an obese chick?  Huh?)  

Laughing  Laughing   Laughing  Laughing

Edited by scraver 2011-04-16 8:41 PM
2011-04-17 5:34 AM
in reply to: #3450659

User image

Expert
Canada
scraver - 2011-04-16 10:40 PM

WHOO HOO!!  My 5k this morning - did it in just under 34 and a half mins.  My best time ever by THREE minutes.  (it was a nice level run)  It is SO awesome to see all my working out actually paying off.  To see that IT IS making a difference and I AM improving.  (pretty good for an obese chick?  Huh?)  

Congratulations, 3 minutes improvement in a 5k is huge!!!!!

Cool

Edited by GoGoGo 2011-04-17 5:34 AM
2011-04-17 7:09 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
scraver - 2011-04-16 9:40 PM

Awesome!!!  PR's are always great at motivating us to keep at this! 

2011-04-17 7:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

Nice Job!
2011-04-17 9:09 AM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
scraver - 2011-04-16 8:40 PM

Way to go!!!!! Enjoy the feeling as you deserve it!

2011-04-17 10:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Excellent! 

40 degrees, 18 mph wind, 31 degree wind chill.   I just can't see punishing the body and the brain for 3 hours in that. I am doing the long ride on the CT. Watching a movie, working on spin scan (it's a CT program to improve spinning efficiency) and single pedal drills.  I might do a little of the Wisconsin IM course too.  I cannot wait until this weather straightens up so I can take a long ride and remember why I love bikes.

Ice.

Edited by IceManScott 2011-04-17 10:07 AM
2011-04-17 10:38 AM

User image

Hi Ken,

Glad to see you are doing another mentor group!  Room for one more?

2011-04-17 12:39 PM
in reply to: #3451006

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
IceManScott - 2011-04-17 11:04 AM

Excellent! 

40 degrees, 18 mph wind, 31 degree wind chill.   I just can't see punishing the body and the brain for 3 hours in that. I am doing the long ride on the CT. Watching a movie, working on spin scan (it's a CT program to improve spinning efficiency) and single pedal drills.  I might do a little of the Wisconsin IM course too.  I cannot wait until this weather straightens up so I can take a long ride and remember why I love bikes.

Ice.

Enjoy the saddle time Ice, it would be nice if it would warm up and the wind would stop blowing!

I did a windy 5k this morning, probably have a PR in the legs and this might have been a PR course under normal circumstances but a 25mph wind with gusts to 40 meant coming up 26 seconds short.  But I am happy with that under the conditions.

Trainer time and some strength training later on.  Do any of you do any strength training? 

2011-04-17 12:39 PM
in reply to: #3451032

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
geoffgm - 2011-04-17 11:38 AM

Hi Ken,

Glad to see you are doing another mentor group!  Room for one more?

Post your bio Geoff, it would be great if you could join us!
2011-04-17 1:06 PM
in reply to: #3451006

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
IceManScott - 2011-04-17 10:04 AM

Excellent! 

Ice.

I can relate! Have a good trainer ride.

2011-04-17 1:10 PM
in reply to: #3451131

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
kenj - 2011-04-17 12:39 PM
IceManScott - 2011-04-17 11:04 AM

Excellent! 

Ice.

Enjoy the saddle time Ice, it would be nice if it would warm up and the wind would stop blowing!

I did a windy 5k this morning, probably have a PR in the legs and this might have been a PR course under normal circumstances but a 25mph wind with gusts to 40 meant coming up 26 seconds short.  But I am happy with that under the conditions.

Trainer time and some strength training later on.  Do any of you do any strength training

I enjoy doing weights as well as pilates and yoga for core work. In the off-season I do strength 2-3x/week, but right now just don't have the time. It is the first thing to go when I can't get everything in.  I am still trying to get yoga in as it seems to help the tightness in my legs and back.

2011-04-17 1:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Arvada
Congrats Sherri!

Everybody's weather sounds awful!!! We are having pretty nice weather, although I'm really glad I got my bike in yesterday. While some strong winds on parts of the ride, today it's crazy windy out there with icky weather blowing in. I just loved being out on my bike yesterday. Did about 25 mile with what for me was a pretty killer hill. It will be a fantastic place to work on my climbing as there is little to no traffic and it is all freshly paved and smooth. Did get in a good 5 mile run this morning. Should have been a little longer but just wasn't feeling it.

Ice sounds like a long time on the trainer...I've not done anything over an hour.

Strength training...something I keep telling myself I'm going to do but never quite get into a routine.
2011-04-17 2:04 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Like Robin mentioned, strength training is the first to go when time gets tight, but I like to do as much as I can.  I don't really  have a set routine, other than to make sure the core/abs get done first.  I like to do a bunch of different types of exercises from straight weight lifting to plyometrics.  I have the Insanity dvd set, but have never done it as written, but as I suspected when I bought it, it is a nice change of pace and has a lot of plyo in it, which I think helps my running some. 

Lately I have messing around some with the kettle bells too.

2011-04-17 2:25 PM

User image

Expert

Outstanding! Congratulations on the PR!

2011-04-17 4:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Ken, kettle bells rock.  I only do simple things with them but on my, they work on the core. 

3 hours is a long time on the computrainer but it is such a great tool.  I did 25 min intervals at 65%, then pedal drills for 5 and back to 65%...then for the past half hour I used a Spin Scan program.  For a gear cruncher like I was, the spin scan measures where in the stroke i'm strongest and where I am weakest on each leg.  That way I can even out the power through the entire 360 degrees (that would be perfection) and get all muscles involved, down and up.   Really is helping.  Also looks like I am most efficient at 86 to 90.  Good to know...

2011-04-17 5:43 PM

User image

Regular
Maryland
That's great! What an accomplishment!
2011-04-17 5:48 PM
in reply to: #3450655

User image

Regular
Maryland
Sherri, I did a shake 'n bake sort of treatment with an additional glaze. I ate the skin as well as the meat. The thought of it now still makes me ill. I guess I learned my lesson.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  

of 72