User image

Expert
Guatemala
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group - OPEN
evillarroel - 2011-05-02 4:45 PM
sirgab - 2011-05-02 2:08 PM

Gabriel, 

Things that I saw from your two long runs (yesterday and Friday the 22nd):

-         You are decoupling quite a bit, that means your heart rate goes up as your pace steadily declines. This is a phenomena that’s actually pretty normal, but you can minimize it by starting easier. Your long runs should start at about 10:15 min/miles and stay like that for at least 3 or 4 miles, after that gradually start picking up the pace. Instead, you’re running 8 min/miles (with cold muscles) and then slowing down 25% of the pace in less than two hours.

-         You are anaerobic most of the time, obviously that wears you out quickly because you’re relying on carbs as your source of fuel. I bet you crave a big bowl of pasta as soon as you’re done, right? Well, the primary source of fuel should be FATS, and a small(er) proportion of carbohydrates. To do this you need to slow down. If you are pacient, you’ll see your easy effort turning into speed. This is very counter intuitive, everybody grew up being told that if you want to be fast you have to train hard, right? NO, wrong.

Let me show you examples:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/16371755

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/65949044

The first one is an 18 mile run before I started training my aerobic system (back in late 2009), the second one is a 15 mile run (much faster) after I worked on it. Make your own opinion.

Hola Ernesto,

Thanks for analyzing my two runs, and your thorough explanations as to what areas I can improve in my runs.  The "decoupling" you point out I'm experiencing along with my persistent training at anaerobic levels now makes sense, and I now see how I can improve by slowing down, especially during the beginning portion of my trainings.

I was LOL on your comments about craving a big pasta bowl right after my long runs because it is right on.  I guess I have been consuming my good carb reserves more often than thought through my consistently hard workouts.  I will attempt to strike a better balance and hopefully burn my fat reserves before my good carbs!

Great to see your links with the two examples and the improvement in speed as you built your aerobic system, and you are right, it is counter intuitive to think that I need to slow down to eventually run faster, but it's beginning to make more sense!

Separately, I'm still bearing a cold with some congestion, but am looking forward to my first Oly distance tri this weekend, any last minute recommendations? 

Thanks!

Gabriel

2011-05-03 9:28 PM
in reply to: #3436601

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.

Hi guys!

I have managed to write a race report, so here are few more details if you're interested.

2011-05-03 10:24 PM
in reply to: #3480864

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

Congrats again Mark....  I read your report...What a day you had!  You are an inspiration!

Thank you for sharing

Jen

2011-05-03 10:38 PM
in reply to: #3480171

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

Chris-  I saw where you were telling Mike you can upload you garmin to BT log.  How do I do this?  I need to update my logs and I just started using a garmin last month. It's an older one...  I had been posting everything in Voomaxer via my facebook account and I need to convert everything over I guess.  

Thanks for your help

Jen

2011-05-03 10:43 PM

User image

Regular

To strong riders of the group - how do I make my legs stronger? I did my first group ride this evening (just a large group/ no drafting) and entirety of it was rolling hills. Head winds and lack of hydration wasn't helping the cause but I was STRUGGLING on those hills from strength perspective as well. Huffing-puffing-dying-slowwwwwwwww... whole enchilada. Cue sheet said, it was (only?) 500ft elevation over 14miles. Frown

That being said, I am still pretty new to the road. Started cycling OCt 2010 and probably logged little under 250miles since then. Currently long rides max around ~35miles. But I have spent good 50-60hrs on spinning sessions through the winter (high effort). I can do little better on the flat roads but little girls can run past me when I am climbing. Posture - Butt on the saddle, hands on the hoods and let the quads burn.

I am not going for Mt Washington anytime soon but an improvement on neighborhood hills would be nice. I'll manually update the logs until my computer is back and Garmin compatible.

2011-05-03 11:03 PM
in reply to: #3480947

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
I'm not a strong rider either but I have an indoor trainer/turbo.  Not sure the real name.  I use The Spinnervals DVDs for one training session a week.  I struggle with winds here and they can drop me form 17mph to 9mph in a flat second!  I rode off and on the beginning of last year and just started back up in Feb..They keep telling me "time in the saddle".  The DVDs have made a huge difference though!

2011-05-03 11:06 PM
in reply to: #3480171

User image

Houston, Texas
older2533 - 2011-05-03 2:04 PM

Mike, 

Take a look at my training log.  You will see a link in the comment section of each activity.  It got there because I first uploaded my workout to Garmin Connect before I uploaded it to BT.   When I was looking at the activity in Garmin Connect, I went up to the address line and copied something like "http://connect.garmin.com/activity/83271094".  (In fact, if you do this correctly, you will get exactly this except for a different number at the end).  Then, after I uploaded my workout to BT, in the comment section I paste this line.  Then when anyone clicks on it, they get all the information on your workout.   That is what Ernesto wants to be able to do. 

Chris

Done and done.  Thanks for the help!  I didn't even know about Garmin Connect until now.  Ernesto, I just put a link to my most recent run, I assume you can flip back to previous activity to see that, or look at the BT logs.  Any advice is appreciated, be kind, I know I have a long way to go.

Mike

2011-05-03 11:36 PM
in reply to: #3480923

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
jenputnam - 2011-05-03 10:24 PM

Congrats again Mark....  I read your report...What a day you had!  You are an inspiration!

Thank you for sharing

Jen

Thank you Jen, it's a pleasure to share a day like that.

2011-05-04 6:27 AM
in reply to: #3480939

User image

Maple Grove, MN
jenputnam - 2011-05-03 10:38 PM

Chris-  I saw where you were telling Mike you can upload you garmin to BT log.  How do I do this?  I need to update my logs and I just started using a garmin last month. It's an older one...  I had been posting everything in Voomaxer via my facebook account and I need to convert everything over I guess.  

Thanks for your help

Jen

If you can upload to Garmin Connect (can you?) you can probably also upload to BT.   Just hit the "Training Log" button at the top, and then when you get a list of days in the middle, hit the word "Training" in between the appropriate date and the word "Nutrition".   This brings you to a page where it has three columns, "Actual swam", 'Actual biked", and "Actual ran".  At the bottom of each column is a button called "Import from Garmin".  If your Garmin is capable and hooked up, it should beep and a window should pop up.  Hit "get data", select the right workout and then "upload workout".    This doesn't upload as much info as when you upload to Garmin Connect (that is why Ernesto wants the link in the comments as well) but it gets the basics in there. 

Good luck.

2011-05-04 6:46 AM

User image

Master
Dallas
Sorry I haven't replied to anybody yesterday, I've been extremely busy at work and later had to swim (late). Today I'll catch up. My Ironman race is only 17 days out and this is my peak week, I'm actually having to squeeze runs at lunch to get everything done...
2011-05-04 6:51 AM
in reply to: #3481124

User image

Regular

evillarroel - 2011-05-04 7:46 AM Sorry I haven't replied to anybody yesterday, I've been extremely busy at work and later had to swim (late). Today I'll catch up. My Ironman race is only 17 days out and this is my peak week, I'm actually having to squeeze runs at lunch to get everything done...

Good luck Ernesto. What IM race are you doing?

Chris - How do you add a race event to the calendar (like you have your half-mary)? I am still trying to get a hang of the training log.

Edited by ironbaby 2011-05-04 7:33 AM

2011-05-04 8:04 AM
in reply to: #3480146

User image

Master
Dallas
older2533 - 2011-05-03 1:57 PM

Question about Tapering:

Ernesto, (and everyone else).

I have an "A race" coming up on May 14 (a week from Saturday), a half-marathon.   This is what I have been training for recently, along with my first Olympic Triathlon one month later (June 11th).  My plan for the half marathon is 13 7:35 miles (where going faster or slower for any given mile I will consider to be bad) for a total time of just under 1:40.    If I get under 1:45, I can sign up for first corral of the Twin Cities Marathon.  I don't know why that matters to me, since I've never done a marathon before, and haven't even decided to do the Twin Cities yet, but it does.  

I haven't yet started to taper.   Tomorrow, I plan on intervals (try for, say, 4   6:50 1 mile intervals with 2 minute rests), and Friday about a 10 mile run at 1 minute per mile slower than my planned half marathon pace. 

After that, not so sure what is optimal. 

1) My daughter has just signed up for a Race for the Cure 5K on Sunday and needs a ride.  I've never run a timed 5K before.  Since it's chip timed, I'm tempted to go for as fast a time as possible. (I think I might have a shot for 21 min).  Is this a bad idea regarding tapering (six days before)?

2) What about the rest of the week?  Not only regarding runs, but also regarding swims and bike rides.  Does one have to lay off the swims and bikes as well as the runs when tapering for a run?

Chris,

You probably need to "abandon" cycling until after the half. The reason is simple, the bike taxes you more than anything because it is your "weak" link. You can still swim (actually I encourage you to) since it is a great cross training with running. And about running, you need to cut down on the volume but increase the intensity.

I bet you being a college proffesor have access to the track, right? Jump in there, do an easy mile and a half (10 min/miles or so), then run for your life half lap, back off for the other half (you can choose to walk if you wish) and repeat 12 to 16 times. Then warm down with another easy mile.

That's an example of an interval that will not tax you for days, and will increase your speed towards the race. Whatever you do, don't go longer than 8 miles now. Long runs take too much recovery. Run every two days, and quit running two days prior to race day. We'll talk about race strategy later if you wish. You can start by looking at the file in my log from December 5 last year (I did a half). Not trying to brag, but that was a very well executed race and it's about the pace you're shooting for.

2011-05-04 8:07 AM
in reply to: #3481138

User image

Master
Dallas
ironbaby - 2011-05-04 6:51 AM

evillarroel - 2011-05-04 7:46 AM Sorry I haven't replied to anybody yesterday, I've been extremely busy at work and later had to swim (late). Today I'll catch up. My Ironman race is only 17 days out and this is my peak week, I'm actually having to squeeze runs at lunch to get everything done...

Good luck Ernesto. What IM race are you doing?

Chris - How do you add a race event to the calendar (like you have your half-mary)? I am still trying to get a hang of the training log.

Doing Ironman Texas May 21st in The Woodlands.

2011-05-04 8:19 AM

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group - CLOSED
Since I didn't change the group status to closed until just now, all the others that asked to join are included. Now the title has changed so for the second time, we're oficially closed to new entrants.

Edited by evillarroel 2011-05-04 8:19 AM
2011-05-04 8:36 AM

User image

Master
Dallas

Jen and Ironbaby,

Cycling is the sport (of all three) that requires the most time to become good at. It recruits too many muscle fibers that need development and this obviously takes time. It’s very common to see very good runners that cannot carry all their abilities to the bike for a while. Patience is key.

Lance Armstrong, arguably the best cyclist ever, is a genetic freak. His VO2 Max numbers are off the charts and his aerobic endurance is incredible. But even him, had to develop his natural talent with years of hard work and patience (he trained 6 hours a day and lived like a monk).

I’m not trying to say we need to live like Lance, but rather state that it takes years to build endurance.

But isn’t the journey nice?

2011-05-04 8:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

Ok Ernesto, 

I have filled in all the data in the BT training log for the month of April.  I added the links(I hope) to workouts that were also in the Garmin Connect log.  I just started using the Garmin Connect recently but I hope it will give an over all picture.  I want to finish the Tri in as close to 2:45 as possible. Any tips for the next 2 weeks....  

I will be working on what you said with my pull in the swim...

Thanks

Jen 

2011-05-04 8:52 AM
in reply to: #3480634

User image

Master
Dallas
sirgab - 2011-05-03 6:39 PM
evillarroel - 2011-05-02 4:45 PM
sirgab - 2011-05-02 2:08 PM

Gabriel, 

Things that I saw from your two long runs (yesterday and Friday the 22nd):

-         You are decoupling quite a bit, that means your heart rate goes up as your pace steadily declines. This is a phenomena that’s actually pretty normal, but you can minimize it by starting easier. Your long runs should start at about 10:15 min/miles and stay like that for at least 3 or 4 miles, after that gradually start picking up the pace. Instead, you’re running 8 min/miles (with cold muscles) and then slowing down 25% of the pace in less than two hours.

-         You are anaerobic most of the time, obviously that wears you out quickly because you’re relying on carbs as your source of fuel. I bet you crave a big bowl of pasta as soon as you’re done, right? Well, the primary source of fuel should be FATS, and a small(er) proportion of carbohydrates. To do this you need to slow down. If you are pacient, you’ll see your easy effort turning into speed. This is very counter intuitive, everybody grew up being told that if you want to be fast you have to train hard, right? NO, wrong.

Let me show you examples:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/16371755

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/65949044

The first one is an 18 mile run before I started training my aerobic system (back in late 2009), the second one is a 15 mile run (much faster) after I worked on it. Make your own opinion.

Hola Ernesto,

Thanks for analyzing my two runs, and your thorough explanations as to what areas I can improve in my runs.  The "decoupling" you point out I'm experiencing along with my persistent training at anaerobic levels now makes sense, and I now see how I can improve by slowing down, especially during the beginning portion of my trainings.

I was LOL on your comments about craving a big pasta bowl right after my long runs because it is right on.  I guess I have been consuming my good carb reserves more often than thought through my consistently hard workouts.  I will attempt to strike a better balance and hopefully burn my fat reserves before my good carbs!

Great to see your links with the two examples and the improvement in speed as you built your aerobic system, and you are right, it is counter intuitive to think that I need to slow down to eventually run faster, but it's beginning to make more sense!

Separately, I'm still bearing a cold with some congestion, but am looking forward to my first Oly distance tri this weekend, any last minute recommendations? 

Thanks!

Gabriel

Gabriel,

There’s always a proportion of carbs that you will use to fuel your workouts, that’s why we take take gels and sport drinks during races and do the “carbo loads” before. However, fats are a never ending supply of fuel for your workouts. We all need to optimize fat utilization so we can endure more, but this is only achieved over time and teaching your body by going slow during long training sessions.

About your upcoming Oly, make tomorrow your last workout (preferably an interval run of short duration). For execution, since this is your first one I would recommend you take it easy (particularly during the bike) and when you hit t2 start your run slow. Think about saving half the energies for the last third of the run and you’ll do fine.

My other advice is if you’re not having fun, you’re going too fast! Only Sprints are meant to hurt 100% of the time. Smile always, thank the volunteers and enjoy the pleasure of racing and being healthy.

E

2011-05-04 9:22 AM
in reply to: #3481138

User image

Maple Grove, MN
ironbaby - 2011-05-04 6:51 AM

Just click on  the races button at the bottom of any of your posts.  After your race list shows up, there is a button at the lower right called "Add race".   You should be able to follow the directions from there.   First it looks to see if the race is already in the database.  If so, then it is very easy.  If not, you have to fill in a bunch of information.  

Edited by older2533 2011-05-04 9:23 AM
2011-05-04 9:57 AM
in reply to: #3481242

User image

Houston, Texas
evillarroel - 2011-05-04 8:07 AM

Doing Ironman Texas May 21st in The Woodlands.

I didn't realize it was so close!  I'm in west Houston.  Good luck to you.  That's a busy day at our house, but if at all possible, I will come out to cheer you on!

Mike

2011-05-04 10:28 AM

User image

Sacramento, CA

I was mid- post (getting the kids off to school when you closed your group...hoping we can squeeze in under the wire! 

Here is my Bio...

NAME: usernames (hubby and wife): cherifortin and kentkillsit / first name: Cheri and Kent

STORY: We are new to triathlons but am already obsessed.  I (Cheri) did first sprint tri last Sunday and know I can do better.  Kent, after watching friends do HIM and  encourageming me is eager to start his own training.

FAMILY STATUS: We are married to eachother!     We are both college professors and have 2 kids (7 and 10).  

CURRENT TRAINING:   I train an average 3 hours of strength training and 5-6 hours a week of tri, I am good on the bike and slow in run and I nearly drowned in the pool.  Kent is just starting off with his tri training and likely will be strongest in the run since that is what he has been trianing in. He has run a half marathon and runs and does strength training 3x week.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I am doing the Almaden Oly, and the Tri-girl-tri Sprint and maybe we will both do the Pumpkin Head Oly in Vegas....

WEIGHTLOSS: Both of us want to lose weight...20-40 lbs would be great for us.

2011-05-04 11:53 AM

User image

New user

Pittsburgh

Hi Ernesto,

I train five days a week between running, biking, swimming and weight training.  I'm signed up for the Ceasar Creek Triathlon on July 10. I'm slow but consistent on running, adding time and incremental distance each week (in september, i couldnt run for more than 3 minutes. now i can run 24 minutes straight) and I feel strongest in that category. Biking comes second; I'm working on my mileage that I started on a stationary bike and transferring that over to out on the trail. Swimming is my weakest; I have no idea the proper form or breathing and feel panicked in the water and swim so hard to just make one length that I'm then out of breath to finish the rest. Any suggestions/tips to learning good form without hiring a swim coach? Doing this on a shoe string budget.

Also, how big of a difference is there with training on the stationary bike versus training on a bicycle outdoors? Should i plan to work longer and at a higher resistance on the stationary bike if that's in my workout for the day?

Thanks for your help!

2011-05-04 11:54 AM

User image

Master

Cycling improvement suggestions:

While it may not be appropriate for mid-season I would recommend that everyone check out the winter cycling thread on the Challenge forum here at BT.  Jorge, a frequent poster and USAT coach, has put together a winter cycling training plan the last few years.  It is a 17 week program (this includes 2 weeks of prep work) that can be used with HR or power.  I train on a Kurt Kinetic trainer in the winter and there is a spreadsheet that can be circulated that let's you use the power curve of the Kurt Kinetic to train with power on the trainer.

So - I used Jorge's plan for the first time (just finished last week) and I found the structure great and the results even better.  I ended up with a 13%+ increase in CP or FTP over the 15 weeks.  The plan consisted of 3 workouts per week (usually around 60 minutes) with an optional 4th session that was longer.  I never did an optional session and did every one of the "mandatory sessions" except for maybe 3 of them.  You test at the beginning and periodically through the program so that you adjust your intensities to where you currently are at performance wise - in other words it never got easier as you progressed through the plan and forced you to get stronger.

Other benefits - besides seeing a marked increase in my power on the bike - I've noticed an effect on my running.  Certainly from a strength perspective but I also think from a mental/psychological perspective.  I think I got more used to having to push myself and gut out some sessions that when I'm running and feel like I can't continue at a certain intensity I know that I can go deep inside me to keep going.

I do think that the intensity of the program would make starting it in the middle of the season difficult.  I am going to start back at week 5 of the program to continue building my power but admittedly will have to make some training exceptions as I have a half marathon rapidly approaching and don't feel like I can or should compromise any running sessions for my bike.

2011-05-04 11:55 AM
in reply to: #3481764

User image

New user

Pittsburgh

i should clarify this will be my first race of any kind. it's a sprint distance tri.

2011-05-04 12:11 PM
in reply to: #3481766

User image

Master
Dallas
dangremond - 2011-05-04 11:54 AM

Cycling improvement suggestions:

While it may not be appropriate for mid-season I would recommend that everyone check out the winter cycling thread on the Challenge forum here at BT.  Jorge, a frequent poster and USAT coach, has put together a winter cycling training plan the last few years.  It is a 17 week program (this includes 2 weeks of prep work) that can be used with HR or power.  I train on a Kurt Kinetic trainer in the winter and there is a spreadsheet that can be circulated that let's you use the power curve of the Kurt Kinetic to train with power on the trainer.

So - I used Jorge's plan for the first time (just finished last week) and I found the structure great and the results even better.  I ended up with a 13%+ increase in CP or FTP over the 15 weeks.  The plan consisted of 3 workouts per week (usually around 60 minutes) with an optional 4th session that was longer.  I never did an optional session and did every one of the "mandatory sessions" except for maybe 3 of them.  You test at the beginning and periodically through the program so that you adjust your intensities to where you currently are at performance wise - in other words it never got easier as you progressed through the plan and forced you to get stronger.

Other benefits - besides seeing a marked increase in my power on the bike - I've noticed an effect on my running.  Certainly from a strength perspective but I also think from a mental/psychological perspective.  I think I got more used to having to push myself and gut out some sessions that when I'm running and feel like I can't continue at a certain intensity I know that I can go deep inside me to keep going.

I do think that the intensity of the program would make starting it in the middle of the season difficult.  I am going to start back at week 5 of the program to continue building my power but admittedly will have to make some training exceptions as I have a half marathon rapidly approaching and don't feel like I can or should compromise any running sessions for my bike.

That sounds good, I'll check it out. You're right, cycling fitness (part of it) can be carried over to the run.

2011-05-04 12:14 PM
in reply to: #3481764

User image

Master
Dallas
ldaley - 2011-05-04 11:53 AM

Hi Ernesto,

I train five days a week between running, biking, swimming and weight training.  I'm signed up for the Ceasar Creek Triathlon on July 10. I'm slow but consistent on running, adding time and incremental distance each week (in september, i couldnt run for more than 3 minutes. now i can run 24 minutes straight) and I feel strongest in that category. Biking comes second; I'm working on my mileage that I started on a stationary bike and transferring that over to out on the trail. Swimming is my weakest; I have no idea the proper form or breathing and feel panicked in the water and swim so hard to just make one length that I'm then out of breath to finish the rest. Any suggestions/tips to learning good form without hiring a swim coach? Doing this on a shoe string budget.

Also, how big of a difference is there with training on the stationary bike versus training on a bicycle outdoors? Should i plan to work longer and at a higher resistance on the stationary bike if that's in my workout for the day?

Thanks for your help!

Check out youtube videos for proper swimming techniques and have someone shoot video of you in the pool. Then see what's wrong and work on it. Nothing gives you more improvement than time in the pool though. As far as the stationary bike, ditch it if you can. No matter how realistic it is it will never be the same as the great outdoors and its challenges!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 84