BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ChrisM's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2011-05-08 4:12 PM
in reply to: #3441467

User image

Subject: RE: ChrisM's Mentor Group - CLOSED

I just think the key is to concentrate on keeping your upper body loose and spinning as much as you can.  Grab the top bar for leverage if you need,it also opens  the chest for breathing.  The best climber I know said in training he stays seated unless he absolutely has to stand or he'll fall down.  However,  sometimes I'll break it up,upshift one gear and get out of the saddle for a few yards, then back to seated climbing.

Also, slide your butt back on the saddle

2011-05-08 4:19 PM

User image

Decent weekend.  65 miles yesterday,all flat,but headwind on the 32 miles coming back.  By 10 miles left I was done.....   Didn't help that about 30 minutes into the ride, reached down for my bottle with Infinit and,,,,,  it wasn't there. Damn.  Had to borrow a friend's bottle, but it wasn't enough

Was going to run after, but we got back  to the start and bought a red bull and a sprite for the kcals, and after sitting and drinking it I was done.

Today, had a pancake breakfast, which is rare, then went out and ran a hilly 8 mile trial run today

2011-05-08 4:32 PM
in reply to: #3488024

User image

Payson, AZ
ChrisM - 2011-05-08 2:12 PM

I just think the key is to concentrate on keeping your upper body loose and spinning as much as you can.  Grab the top bar for leverage if you need,it also opens  the chest for breathing.  The best climber I know said in training he stays seated unless he absolutely has to stand or he'll fall down.  However,  sometimes I'll break it up,upshift one gear and get out of the saddle for a few yards, then back to seated climbing.

Also, slide your butt back on the saddle

I do a lot of hill riding (mountain really) and what Chris said is key.  Stay loose and shift to a gear you can spin (or as close to spinning as you can get ). 

2011-05-08 4:40 PM

User image

Payson, AZ

So I had a really good mountain bike race yesterday.  First time I've ever raced the mountain bike.  I use to ride it a lot but the last few years not as much and usually it's just a nice relaxing ride.  Well, I paid for all those years off.    Sporting one knee that is about twice the size of the other one right now.  I don't think it is anything too serious, just a knee to rock landing during one of my falls.  Lots of blood left out on the course by many of us.  They added a nice little hill at the beginning of the race compared to previous years.  No problem I thought.  50 minutes to go 2 miles.  WTF?  And I was in the top half of the pack at this point.  About then I knew I was in for a long day...  Although my endurance held up for the whole race my technical skills held me back.  Still pretty proud of myself though.

Oh, and I got 1st female OA.  Course I was also last place female...  Oh yeah, the only girl brave enough to enter the race and play with the boys.  I'll take it.  And yes, I even beat some of the boys.  I must say, the majority of them were super positive and supportive when they found out I was the only female.

Now it is time to get serious and stop playing around.  HIM training starts

2011-05-09 5:06 AM
in reply to: #3488054

User image

Expert
Congrats on the race!

Seren, I used to live in Lake Placid.  Many of the homeowners there rent there houses through a site called Adirondackbyowner.com. It is really great. You can also check the Saranac Lake area as that is not too far from LP.  Depending on your budget, you can get a really nice place on there (except for Ironman week when everything is triple price).  What race are you doing there?
2011-05-09 5:21 AM
in reply to: #3488609

User image

Expert
Boston

gator22 - 2011-05-09 6:06 AM Congrats on the race!

Seren, I used to live in Lake Placid.  Many of the homeowners there rent there houses through a site called Adirondackbyowner.com. It is really great. You can also check the Saranac Lake area as that is not too far from LP.  Depending on your budget, you can get a really nice place on there (except for Ironman week when everything is triple price).  What race are you doing there?

Thanks guys for the advice.  I do notice that When I start getting fatigued, my whole core collapses.  I will try sliding my butt back a bit too!

gator22 - its the Whiteface Uphill Bike Race.   Depending on how I do...I would like to ride Mt. Washington in July.   Its a steeper, longer mountain and entry is $300 so I want to make sure this is something I want to do before entering

2011-05-09 8:22 AM

User image

Expert
Boston
bzgl40 - 2011-05-08 5:40 PM

Oh, and I got 1st female OA.  Course I was also last place female...  Oh yeah, the only girl brave enough to enter the race and play with the boys.  I'll take it.  And yes, I even beat some of the boys.  I must say, the majority of them were super positive and supportive when they found out I was the only female.

Congrats.  A win is a win!

2011-05-09 2:22 PM

User image

Highlands Ranch, CO
I tried to post this yesterday, but lost reception. Duathlon went well on Sat. First 5k - 26:19, T1 - 1 min 29 seconds (stumbled with gel pack too long), bike 30k - 1:01:06 (avg 18.3 mph), T2 - 59 seconds, second 5k - 28:18. Overall,1 hour 58 minutes. I was hoping to be under 2 hours, so I am happy. I was shooting for an average bike of 18.6 mph or better, but my runs were faster than my training runs lately. Overall, it was a great race. I was 5th out of 8 in clydes 39 and under, and 152 ot of 317 overall.

Edited by hoots 2011-05-09 2:27 PM
2011-05-09 2:29 PM

User image

Highlands Ranch, CO
bzgl40 - 2011-05-08 3:40 PM

So I had a really good mountain bike race yesterday.  First time I've ever raced the mountain bike.  I use to ride it a lot but the last few years not as much and usually it's just a nice relaxing ride.  Well, I paid for all those years off.    Sporting one knee that is about twice the size of the other one right now.  I don't think it is anything too serious, just a knee to rock landing during one of my falls.  Lots of blood left out on the course by many of us.  They added a nice little hill at the beginning of the race compared to previous years.  No problem I thought.  50 minutes to go 2 miles.  WTF?  And I was in the top half of the pack at this point.  About then I knew I was in for a long day...  Although my endurance held up for the whole race my technical skills held me back.  Still pretty proud of myself though.

Sorry to hear about the bloodshed. Hopefully, your knee doesn't hold back the HIM training.

Edited by hoots 2011-05-09 2:29 PM
2011-05-09 2:51 PM
in reply to: #3489782

User image

Payson, AZ

hoots - 2011-05-09 12:22 PM I tried to post this yesterday, but lost reception. Duathlon went well on Sat. First 5k - 26:19, T1 - 1 min 29 seconds (stumbled with gel pack too long), bike 30k - 1:01:06 (avg 18.3 mph), T2 - 59 seconds, second 5k - 28:18. Overall,1 hour 58 minutes. I was hoping to be under 2 hours, so I am happy. I was shooting for an average bike of 18.6 mph or better, but my runs were faster than my training runs lately. Overall, it was a great race. I was 5th out of 8 in clydes 39 and under, and 152 ot of 317 overall.

Nice job.  it's always great when you hit or surpass your goal.

2011-05-09 4:31 PM

User image

Happy Monday everyone!   Sounds like some great racing already.  And Kim, you know it's about who shows up.  I've done races where I've gone 10 minutes faster than the year before, which would have won the AG (clydes, albeit) by several minutes, only to lose 5 spots!

Still dealing with saddle issues.  Lowered the adamo a little bit, still by the end had chafing issues on my sit bones.  Maybe I'll just go back to the arione...  it's frustrating. 

2011-05-09 4:56 PM

User image

Los Angeles
Ran 5 miles today. Tomorrow we ride 75 miles, Somerset,NJ to Philly, PA. Then off to Geno's for cheesesteak sandwich!!
2011-05-09 6:33 PM
in reply to: #3490161

User image

Highlands Ranch, CO
bad91 - 2011-05-09 3:56 PMRan 5 miles today. Tomorrow we ride 75 miles, Somerset,NJ to Philly, PA. Then off to Geno's for cheesesteak sandwich!!
Now that's a ride, and reward, I'd be up for!
2011-05-10 6:30 AM
in reply to: #3490161

User image

Expert
bad91 - 2011-05-09 4:56 PM Ran 5 miles today. Tomorrow we ride 75 miles, Somerset,NJ to Philly, PA. Then off to Geno's for cheesesteak sandwich!!

Running during the Unity Tour? Bad . I hear all my friends that have done it crying about how tired they are every night.
2011-05-10 11:56 AM

User image

Got up and ran my 4 miles at 6 am along the beach, but my running partner bailed on me.  I felt pretty slow and lumbering, but I ran the last mile at 8:48, which is pretty fast for me.....

Swim tonight

2011-05-10 12:03 PM
in reply to: #3491609

User image

Payson, AZ
ChrisM - 2011-05-10 9:56 AM

Got up and ran my 4 miles at 6 am along the beach, but my running partner bailed on me.  I felt pretty slow and lumbering, but I ran the last mile at 8:48, which is pretty fast for me.....

Swim tonight

One could say all my runs are along a beach here.  Just no water.  lol  A running partner that bailed though?  That's lame.  I hope you give him a hard time

2011-05-10 12:07 PM

User image

Payson, AZ
Who runs in their regular shoes but with elastic laces for races?  I use Zoots for anything shorter then a HIM but they really are not doing me any favors to the bottom of my feet.  I got some nasty blisters during my DU that still are not healed.  But I don't even feel it during a run with my regular shoes.  So I think it is the shoes, not the lack of socks.  But, how much bigger does a shoe feel if you go sockless in regular shoes?  I suppose I could just go try it on my next short run with regular laces and it should give me a good idea. 
2011-05-10 3:20 PM

User image

Los Angeles
73.9 miles today! Tomorrow over 100 miles, Philadelphia to Baltimore. Now off to Geno's for a famous cheesesteak sandwich!!!
2011-05-10 6:05 PM
in reply to: #3491643

User image

bzgl40 - 2011-05-10 10:07 AM Who runs in their regular shoes but with elastic laces for races?  I use Zoots for anything shorter then a HIM but they really are not doing me any favors to the bottom of my feet.  I got some nasty blisters during my DU that still are not healed.  But I don't even feel it during a run with my regular shoes.  So I think it is the shoes, not the lack of socks.  But, how much bigger does a shoe feel if you go sockless in regular shoes?  I suppose I could just go try it on my next short run with regular laces and it should give me a good idea. 

When I was racing a lot, I had the bungee laces in my shoes and wore them for all runs.  Got a new pair of shoes, put bungees in.  When I took time off racing, I stopped putting them in.  I found them to be pretty comfortable for longer runs.  I have raced now without them, I don't think my laces are keeping me from Kona 

2011-05-10 6:11 PM
in reply to: #3492379

User image

Payson, AZ
ChrisM - 2011-05-10 4:05 PM

bzgl40 - 2011-05-10 10:07 AM Who runs in their regular shoes but with elastic laces for races?  I use Zoots for anything shorter then a HIM but they really are not doing me any favors to the bottom of my feet.  I got some nasty blisters during my DU that still are not healed.  But I don't even feel it during a run with my regular shoes.  So I think it is the shoes, not the lack of socks.  But, how much bigger does a shoe feel if you go sockless in regular shoes?  I suppose I could just go try it on my next short run with regular laces and it should give me a good idea. 

When I was racing a lot, I had the bungee laces in my shoes and wore them for all runs.  Got a new pair of shoes, put bungees in.  When I took time off racing, I stopped putting them in.  I found them to be pretty comfortable for longer runs.  I have raced now without them, I don't think my laces are keeping me from Kona 

Ha, yeah, no Kona dreams here.  However, I have been told I must qualify for the World Duathlon Championship in France next year (talk about pressure) so need something quick for the shorter distance.  For a HIM I use socks and regular laces.  I'll give the bungee laces a try

2011-05-10 7:38 PM
in reply to: #3491643

User image

Highlands Ranch, CO
bzgl40 - 2011-05-10 11:07 AMWho runs in their regular shoes but with elastic laces for races?  I use Zoots for anything shorter then a HIM but they really are not doing me any favors to the bottom of my feet.  I got some nasty blisters during my DU that still are not healed.  But I don't even feel it during a run with my regular shoes.  So I think it is the shoes, not the lack of socks.  But, how much bigger does a shoe feel if you go sockless in regular shoes?  I suppose I could just go try it on my next short run with regular laces and it should give me a good idea. 
I run with elastic laces all the time. I will get blisters if I take time off, and try and get right back into it without building into it. I think it is more attributable to my soles, rather than laces.

2011-05-10 8:19 PM

Regular
Indiana

Okay, I am now officially confused. lol It does not take a lot, but I know nothing about swimming and in my quest to become more efficient I ran across a method called Total Immersion. After asking a couple of my triathlon buddy's they told me I should not even try this method. They suggested that I learn the traditional freestyle method. The consensus is that the total immersion will totally mess up my stroke and create a lot of bad habits. 

Have any of you been exposed to this method? What are your thoughts?

2011-05-10 9:18 PM
in reply to: #3492547

User image

Highlands Ranch, CO
mikar_68 - 2011-05-10 7:19 PM

Okay, I am now officially confused. lol It does not take a lot, but I know nothing about swimming and in my quest to become more efficient I ran across a method called Total Immersion. After asking a couple of my triathlon buddy's they told me I should not even try this method. They suggested that I learn the traditional freestyle method. The consensus is that the total immersion will totally mess up my stroke and create a lot of bad habits. 

Obviously, I am not a great swimmer, so take my comments with a huge grain of salt. I read the TI book in late 2009, and took lessons from a TI instructor in early 2010, 5 lessons in total. It didn't work for me. Theyntry and teach you o move more efficiently through the water. I get it, and that would be good, but my issue was being more comfortable with my face in the water and breathing, it sounds like you have similar issues. I don't know if all TI teachers teach it the same way, but my instructor focused getting the mechanics of the stroke down, and said the breathing would come with practice. More than a year later, I made the best progress with not feeling out of breath based on Chris' suggestions. I would focus on becoming more comfortable in the water first, and your stroke second. I understand they are related, so some of it depends on how good/bad your current stroke is.

Edited by hoots 2011-05-10 9:19 PM
2011-05-11 6:20 AM
in reply to: #3492547

User image

Expert
mikar_68 - 2011-05-10 8:19 PM

I have read the Total Immersion book. It will not hurt you to expose yourself to the concepts. A lot of it makes great common sense out of issues that swimmers make complicated.
2011-05-11 7:11 AM
in reply to: #3492872

Regular
Indiana
Thank you for the reponses Gator and Hoots. You both are absolutely correct. After swimming 50 yds. I have to stop and get my breath.

Today I tried to push myself to go 75 yds. without stopping and could hardly make it. My focus is on trying to exhale as soon as I inhale or when my face starts to enter the water after I inhale. I breath on my right side every time and now my left side rotation is suffering. My swim instructor just keeps telling me to keep practicing and it will come. I am starting to question that because I have been practicing and trying for almost 8 months (3-4x per week) now without much progress.

I have found that if I put fins on and let them drag behind me with little leg kick I can swim 100 yds. before I have to stop. I even purchased the Swim Smooth workouts for my swim type and that seemed to help a little, but still not where I would like it to be. Any pearls of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ChrisM's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 20