General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman St. George : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2011-11-01 3:43 PM
in reply to: #3747556

Veteran
Subject: RE: Ironman St. George : Official Thread

3Aims - 2011-11-01 3:45 PM Just finished my last race for the year.  Now the only race I have scheduled is IMSG next May.  I'm jealous of you that can ride the course in advance.  I may try to sneak away early next year for a weekend trip to SG.   

Congrats on your season. I was just thinking about that too. It will be hard to get many/any training races before IMSG. I'll probably do a half marathon as a training race in March and might be able to squeeze in an early season Olympic in April - but might be cutting it too close into a peak training weekend at that point.... although will probably need the OWS practice anyway!

2011-11-01 8:20 PM
in reply to: #3747691

User image

Veteran
Dallas
RJohnson1979 - 2011-11-01 3:43 PM

3Aims - 2011-11-01 3:45 PM Just finished my last race for the year.  Now the only race I have scheduled is IMSG next May.  I'm jealous of you that can ride the course in advance.  I may try to sneak away early next year for a weekend trip to SG.   

Congrats on your season. I was just thinking about that too. It will be hard to get many/any training races before IMSG. I'll probably do a half marathon as a training race in March and might be able to squeeze in an early season Olympic in April - but might be cutting it too close into a peak training weekend at that point.... although will probably need the OWS practice anyway!

I plan to do an Olympic before IMSG.  The window is too tight with Winter to burn a weekend with a HIM. 

2011-11-01 8:38 PM
in reply to: #3556416

User image

New user

Re: housing, I have a condo timeshare in St. George booked from 4/29 through 5/6 if anyone is interested in renting a couple rooms with me on the cheap. Kitchen, pool, hot-tub, etc. It is a total of three rooms and common area.

@bryancd, when are the camps/what is the cost?

Edited by slctri 2011-11-01 8:40 PM
2011-11-01 8:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego

I'm in for Oceanside.  Works out well for me since it's right here in town.  Boston, not so much.  Nice little long run before taper, I guess.

Like the idea of the 11-23 on the 900.  I'll bring that setup and see if I've got the guts to go for it.

2011-11-02 9:40 AM
in reply to: #3747560

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
3Aims - 2011-11-01 1:46 PM

bryancd - 2011-11-01 9:59 AM I will run my standard 11/23 rear cassete on a 900 DIsc. Go big or go home. I rented a condo over on South Village Rd. Cheap, 4 nights for $334. My coach also has two training camps on the course early next year.

Did you go through a rental website? 

Yep, we always use VRBO.com, they have the best selection.
2011-11-02 9:44 AM
in reply to: #3748014

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
fullironmike - 2011-11-01 7:40 PM

I'm in for Oceanside. 

I am also doing Oceanside.

2011-11-10 11:33 AM

User image

Regular
Newbury Park, CA

Time to breathe some new life into this thread.

My friend e-mailed the folks in charge at St George to inquire about how many people have signed up.  They declined, indicating that information is confidential.  I wonder if they will sell out this year?

2011-11-10 11:54 AM
in reply to: #3897361

User image

Veteran
Plant City, Florida
Bronze member
trinitwit - 2011-11-10 11:33 AM

My friend e-mailed the folks in charge at St George to inquire about how many people have signed up.  They declined, indicating that information is confidential.  I wonder if they will sell out this year?

I went to the site and did a cut and paste on the participate list - roughly 1100 folks are signed up as of the 7th of NOV. 

2011-11-10 11:56 AM
in reply to: #3897399

User image

Veteran
Plant City, Florida
Bronze member
aintaround - 2011-11-10 11:54 AM
trinitwit - 2011-11-10 11:33 AM

I went to the site and did a cut and paste on the participate list - roughly 1100 folks are signed up as of the 7th of NOV. 

Participate = participant 

2011-11-10 12:09 PM
in reply to: #3897404

User image

New user

1101 then, I've also just signed up

It's my first Ironman and I can't wait.

I live in Barcelona (Spain) so am starting to look at flights/hotels.

What is the best (location and comfort) Hotel to book for the race? I would like to be close to the finish with all the creature comforts...

Thanks in advance for your recommendations - I'm sure I will have many more questions over the coming gruelling training months

Cheers.
Wolf

2011-11-10 2:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Dallas

I'm more than fine with a smaller field.  I bet this race gets around 1,400-1,500 people tops.  It's early in the season.  It's very hard.  The last comment is the main driver.  It's 15% DNF rate is scary.   

I have yet to find an IMer not cringe when I tell them that I am doing this race.  To each their own.  You will never see me at IMAZ, IMTEX, IMFL.  The irony is IMFL sold out in 16 minutes last week.  Nobody wants to brag about a 11:45 IMSG time when they can do 9:45 at IMFL.

I'm really looking forward to this race.  Just doing base work now.  About 10-12 hours a week.  My plan ramps up next month. 

Anyone know if I can rent a bike in SG on a random weekend?  Looking to do a quick over night trip to SG in January to ride the course.    

2011-11-11 8:53 AM
in reply to: #3897654

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
At this point, I doubt that the race will sell out.  However, I think that the new run course is going to change this in the following years.  I don't think enough people know about the run course change.  As soon as more people know about this, they're going to be more willing to sign up.  I have not done this race before and I know the bike course is no joke, but the people I know that have done the race before have said the run course was the really challenging part of this race in year's past.
2011-11-11 9:48 AM
in reply to: #3898306

Veteran
Looks like there were some duplicates on the participant list posted. I think those come from people who entered the sweepstakes. Without it theres only close to 900 registered. Still a small field but hopefully more will register. I'm fine with it not selling out though for sure!
2011-11-11 10:06 AM
in reply to: #3898390

User image

Veteran
Plant City, Florida
Bronze member

RJohnson1979 - 2011-11-11 9:48 AM Looks like there were some duplicates on the participant list posted. I think those come from people who entered the sweepstakes. Without it theres only close to 900 registered. Still a small field but hopefully more will register. I'm fine with it not selling out though for sure!

I'm good with 900 - it will put me in the top 1000...

2011-11-11 11:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
I'm not sure they're going to keep the easier run course after this year.  I read a post (I think someone copied it from another forum and pasted it here) that said they made it easier this year to accommodate construction.  If there's an overwhelming response to the change, then they may keep it, but I got the impression that this was a temporary change - and not one that the race organizers wanted.
2011-11-13 11:33 PM

Anyone think it'd be completely and totally unrealistic and outrageous to sign up for St George as your first Ironman? 

And with only 5 months to train? 

But full of shear will and determination?

2011-11-14 10:41 AM
in reply to: #3900760

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego

I have a friend who is most likely going to do the same thing - although he's an ultra runner and has done a century.  Oceanside will be be his first triathlon and St. George would be his first IM.  I know he wants to "do really well", but I've cautioned that he really shouldn't expect too much in his first one.

My thoughts are if you can handle the peak training weeks, can swim 2 miles in the open water w/o stopping, can bike 100 miles and run 20 miles, you'll get through the day.  17 hours is a long time to get it done.  A 2-hour swim and an 8-hour bike still leaves 7 hours to run/walk the marathon (16-minute miles).  Finding out what nutrition works for you in training - and pacing the day - will get you there.  You don't have to go fast.

IMO the key to finishing is getting to the start uninjured and mentally prepared to handle each discipline's distance.  Putting them all together will happen on its own.  Nutrition and pacing are important as you will be relying on fuel taken on board during the race.  It's trite, but true: you really do need to "find out what works for you."  Long brick sessions are a good time to figure it out.

2011-11-14 12:54 PM

User image

New user

Don't be intimidated - I'm also doing the StG IM as my first IM. So far I've only done a few Marathons, never ridden a bike more than 40m and can barely swim for 2miles - so really looking forward to it Nearly 6 months to go to train - it won't be easy, but then no IM is ever going to be easy...

2011-11-14 12:55 PM

User image

New user

PS - ANY RECOMMENDATIONS ON HOTELS  in St George??
2011-11-14 1:31 PM

Veteran
ChrissiAnn - 2011-11-14 12:33 AM

Anyone think it'd be completely and totally unrealistic and outrageous to sign up for St George as your first Ironman? 

And with only 5 months to train? 

But full of shear will and determination?

There is only one way to find out!

That being said, it ALL depends on what your background, experience level, and fitness is like as to whether or not it is do-able. And you would really want to ask yourself what kind of experience you would like to have before deciding.

Having just completed my first IM in July, I can say that you really do want to do everything you can to feel completely prepared and confident in your ability going into the race. There are plenty of iron distance races that are not as difficult as IMSG and that would leave you more time to prepare mentally and physically. But if you have a good base going into it and have triathlon experience, 5 months is definitely enough time to ramp up!

Good luck with your decision!

Ryan

2011-11-14 7:12 PM
in reply to: #3901511

Thanks for all the advice/encouragement.  My super supportive husband is doing the race too....but he's a machine and its not his first rodeo (CdA and Silverman) and he's been saying the same advice and wisdom filled encouragements.

I have a strong running background but had to take 2 years off of running/cycling due to a nerve compression injury in the knee and tendonitis in both feet. This June I was able to start running short and slow 2 times a week and have worked up to running 3 times a week 3-5 miles without pain currently and just added cycling to the mix a few weeks ago.

I am so excited and relieved to be running again without pain and just feel like I can't wait till 2013 to do an Ironman (because obviously all 2012's are sold out except St George)  because I feel like I've been waiting for so long as it is!

The good part is there is not any pressure to sign up in a hurry because it probably won't sell out  I am going to do my training plan and if all is good in January (injury wise) then I'll sign up. I am not niave and I know its not the best or most ideal situation and the last thing I want to do is "just finish" right before midnight but considering where I've come from with my injury ( I could barely walk without extreme pain and I am super tough when it comes to pain 

Nervous but up for a challenge and what a challenge St George will be

2011-11-15 4:37 PM
in reply to: #3901438

User image

Regular
Redlands, CA

BarcelonaWolf - 2011-11-14 10:55 AM PS - ANY RECOMMENDATIONS ON HOTELS  in St George??

Hilton Garden Inn--Next to the convention center, stayed there last weekend, it's nice but no free breakfast, does have fridge and microwave

Comfort Inn--close to the convention center, very nice, good bedding, newer, good breakfast, would rather stay here than Garden Inn, fridge, and microwave

Clarion Suites (formerly Comfort Suites) sleeps 6, two queens and pull out sofa, clean, recently redone, good breakfast, can't remember about fridge and micro but I think they have it

Hampton Inn--ok, only stayed here once, can't remember anything remarkable, close to outlets (outlets are not a whole lot to speak of)

Ambassador Inn--cheap, clean, I think no breakfast, wouldn't want to stay more than one night here

Budget Inn--it's been awhile, ok I think

Best Western Coral Hills- got a smoking room next to the very noisy pool, wasn't too happy, but I think it's ok

Green Valley condos--we stay here a lot, not much more or about the same cost as a hotel room, condos are a little dated but I like the space and full kitchen.  Great pool.  We've had wi-fi the last few times here, but you might want to verify w/front desk that there is wi-fi

LaQuinta Inn is newer, I haven't stayed there but should be good, the Marriott properties are all fairly new, should be fine.  Note----none of these properties are  close to the finish line, if you want something close to the finish they are mostly older--I would definitely check the trip advisor reviews or somebody on this board who has used one of them.

2011-11-15 5:15 PM

User image

carlsbad

Well whooptie doo for your husband!Cool  I think maybe your husband THOUGHT he was a machine and then was humbled over the last 3yrs of triathloning. 

My advice is to get off the computer and POUND PAVEMENT!!

2011-11-15 5:22 PM

User image

carlsbad

WinkCoolSurprised  "you can doit put your back intoit"

2011-11-16 11:49 AM
in reply to: #3903410

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
grannygear - 2011-11-15 4:37 PM

BarcelonaWolf - 2011-11-14 10:55 AM PS - ANY RECOMMENDATIONS ON HOTELS  in St George??

Hilton Garden Inn--Next to the convention center, stayed there last weekend, it's nice but no free breakfast, does have fridge and microwave

Comfort Inn--close to the convention center, very nice, good bedding, newer, good breakfast, would rather stay here than Garden Inn, fridge, and microwave

Clarion Suites (formerly Comfort Suites) sleeps 6, two queens and pull out sofa, clean, recently redone, good breakfast, can't remember about fridge and micro but I think they have it

Hampton Inn--ok, only stayed here once, can't remember anything remarkable, close to outlets (outlets are not a whole lot to speak of)

Ambassador Inn--cheap, clean, I think no breakfast, wouldn't want to stay more than one night here

Budget Inn--it's been awhile, ok I think

Best Western Coral Hills- got a smoking room next to the very noisy pool, wasn't too happy, but I think it's ok

Green Valley condos--we stay here a lot, not much more or about the same cost as a hotel room, condos are a little dated but I like the space and full kitchen.  Great pool.  We've had wi-fi the last few times here, but you might want to verify w/front desk that there is wi-fi

LaQuinta Inn is newer, I haven't stayed there but should be good, the Marriott properties are all fairly new, should be fine.  Note----none of these properties are  close to the finish line, if you want something close to the finish they are mostly older--I would definitely check the trip advisor reviews or somebody on this board who has used one of them.

I've stayed at the Super 8, clean with micro and fridge. Downfall(for me) is that I travel with my elderly, blind cat(seriously-he's traveled all over the world with me) And while he cant see, he like laying in sunny windows...and Super 8's windows are all right on the walkway so leaving the curtain open means anyone walking by gets a nice view of eveything in the room.

This year I'm staying at the LaQuinta since thier windows above 1st floor dont have walk ways in front of them so I can be comfortable leaving the curtain open during the day. Plus they dont charge extra for the old man

Edited by LittleCat 2011-11-16 11:53 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman St. George : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 32