BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2012-01-02 10:35 PM
in reply to: #3966704

New user

Subject: RE: QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies-OPEN
Thanks for all the input on races and the race reports. It's helpful to know there's a lot of info available and that feeling a bit overwhelmed is natural.

Is there any particular training program anyone recommends? I took a look at a few on the BT site, but there's a lot to choose from.

I did workout today and used at least the swim portion of a plan (swim 12 minutes). I made it, but it was after an hour long cardio mash-up class I did with DH, and I'm feeling pretty good. Of course, tomorrow will probably be another story.

2012-01-02 10:43 PM
in reply to: #3966219

New user

Subject: RE: QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies-OPEN
We do have some epic arguments, but since I coach debate and DH does not, I do have the upper hand. . .or lip, as it were.

I've watched the women's tri in Naperville, and the Batavia race looked interesting. Glad to hear it's a possibility.

Thanks for the encouragement about buddies. I've always trained best with others, and I'm putting the word out that I'm going to do this and seeking friends to join me. I'll keep you posted on developments.

Just want to say to everyone that each and every one of you is inspiring!!
2012-01-03 6:00 AM
in reply to: #3942395

Rochester
Subject: RE: QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED)
We do have some epic arguments, but since I coach debate and DH does not, I do have the upper hand. . .or lip, as it were. I have to chuckle at that statement, my gf is an attorney and when we argue I usually am on the losing side unless I have a very strong case. Lol.
2012-01-03 8:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED)

Hi all, I have a couple of swim questions....

The first is really for DH, what is the best way to ramp up with swimming and get breathing under control? Is it best to work with a kick board, just start slow, or what? He's not liking my advice given that I'm a newbie too

Second, any women with long hair that have any tips for swimming? I'm using a swim cap but my hair gets soaked no matter what which means swim training can only happen at the end of the day or on days I'm not working.  I'd like to cut it off but I don't think DH will go for that!

Managed to do 500 yard swim today and 30 min/7miles on the stationary bike today - wish I could have biked outside today but it's cold in NC! 27 degrees, I know, I know, that's nothing to you northerners, believe me I know since I'm originally from Canada but man i'm spoiled now!!

Yvonne

2012-01-03 9:08 AM
in reply to: #3967300

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island

peterflagg - 2012-01-02 10:34 PM Quincy, as soon as get it together i will post a pic of it. Cannot wait to do it this week. Clearing a spot out in the garage for it tomorrow. Getting excited!

Dave, it has been hard work but great results. In fact need to get a new coat was a xxl and now can wear a L. Psyched about it. I read the book Wheat Belly and have overhauled my diet even more. Looking forward to doing more.

Todays workout: seeing i am still recovering from ankle surgery my Dr doesnt want me to run for a few more weeks, can swim starting next week, but i walked on the dreadmill at a 1% incline, speed 3.5 for 60 minutes. Have PT tomorrow so looking forward to it.

Any good tri books out there?

Not a Tri book but I really liked "Born to Run" by Chris Mcdougall. I highly recommend it.

2012-01-03 9:35 AM

Rochester
I am so excited, my bike has a tracking number! It hasn't left yet but will today!!!! Cannot wait for it

2012-01-03 9:45 AM
in reply to: #3967841

User image

Expert
Hammond

peterflagg - 2012-01-03 9:35 AM I am so excited, my bike has a tracking number! It hasn't left yet but will today!!!! Cannot wait for it

That is sooo exciting. I remember feeling like a kid a Christmas when my bike finally came in. I couldn't wait to get to LBS to pick it up and get fit.

You'll have to post pics as soon as you get it all together.

Shelly

2012-01-03 10:10 AM
in reply to: #3967872

I have to get a bike.  A real bike that is.  I have a mountain bike, and a guy i occasionally go biking with has a hybrid but mostly a road bike, and he consistently goes significantly faster than me.  In order to just keep up with him, I have to work my backside off.  Its very difficult.  At any rate, the fact is that I need to get a bike.  Could anybody suggest a good bike that won't break my bank (which at the moment is zero, but hopefully I can get some scratch up soon, and get something decent from that there internet place).

Thanks

2012-01-03 10:20 AM
in reply to: #3967841

User image

Veteran

peterflagg - 2012-01-03 10:35 AM I am so excited, my bike has a tracking number! It hasn't left yet but will today!!!! Cannot wait for it

So exciting! I just got one a couple days before xmas, now if I could only figure out those gears! LOL

2012-01-03 10:23 AM
in reply to: #3967954

User image

Veteran
mrkwhittaker - 2012-01-03 11:10 AM

I have to get a bike.  A real bike that is.  I have a mountain bike, and a guy i occasionally go biking with has a hybrid but mostly a road bike, and he consistently goes significantly faster than me.  In order to just keep up with him, I have to work my backside off.  Its very difficult.  At any rate, the fact is that I need to get a bike.  Could anybody suggest a good bike that won't break my bank (which at the moment is zero, but hopefully I can get some scratch up soon, and get something decent from that there internet place).

Thanks

Yes, my friend did NO training for the sprint tri we did and she kicked my butt on the bike! Out with the mountain bike, in with the road bike!

No recommendations on bikes, I found it so confusing.  I finally just settled on the Scott Speedster S40 that my lbs recommended, they specialize in tris and thought it would be good given my beginner status.  Good luck, let us know what you decide!

2012-01-03 10:25 AM

Rochester

Thanks

I found mine on roadbikeoutlet.com. I only spent 270 on it. I know it will not be top of the line but it is a start and can only get better with work.

2012-01-03 10:32 AM
in reply to: #3967784

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Sammeg - 2012-01-03 9:08 AM

peterflagg - 2012-01-02 10:34 PM Quincy, as soon as get it together i will post a pic of it. Cannot wait to do it this week. Clearing a spot out in the garage for it tomorrow. Getting excited!

Dave, it has been hard work but great results. In fact need to get a new coat was a xxl and now can wear a L. Psyched about it. I read the book Wheat Belly and have overhauled my diet even more. Looking forward to doing more.

Todays workout: seeing i am still recovering from ankle surgery my Dr doesnt want me to run for a few more weeks, can swim starting next week, but i walked on the dreadmill at a 1% incline, speed 3.5 for 60 minutes. Have PT tomorrow so looking forward to it.

Any good tri books out there?

Not a Tri book but I really liked "Born to Run" by Chris Mcdougall. I highly recommend it.

I enjoyed it as well, but for some reason I didn't take away a fascination with barefoot running like everyone else seemed to. I enjoyed the hypothesizing about the social nature of running and its place in our evolution as a species.

Some other books I have read or used:

Be Iron Fit by Don Fink (this is what I am using to train for IMOO)

Triathlete's Training Bible by Joe Friel

Racing Weight by Matt Fitzgerald

and we haven't read it yet, but for Christmas I got my husband I'm Here to Win by Macca (Chris McCormack 2x Kona Champ).

Q

2012-01-03 10:43 AM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
mrkwhittaker - 2012-01-03 10:10 AM

Thanks

Mark

I agree!!  you are at a SERIOUS disadvantage riding a mountain bike unless you are riding on mountain trails.  (of course I drive a Jeep Wrangler and never take it off-road so it isn't THAT crazy)

My suggestion is to buy a used road bike.  It wont be expensive and if a bike has been taken care of it can last 50X longer than people seem to think.    So you get really good value.   Then after riding it for some time,  you will figure out what you do/don't like about it and will be in a better position to know what you need in a new bike. 

The most important thing is to know what SIZE bike you are looking for.   Or at least be close for this bike.  Go to a good bike shop and get sized for a roadie.   Just don't actually buy one.         In time when you move up to a tri bike  it would be ideal to get a professional fitting. (they can cost like $300)     SO if you see what I mean, best to take this step by step.  

2012-01-03 10:45 AM
in reply to: #3967990

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Ybeal - 2012-01-03 10:23 AM

Thanks

Yes, my friend did NO training for the sprint tri we did and she kicked my butt on the bike! Out with the mountain bike, in with the road bike!

No recommendations on bikes, I found it so confusing.  I finally just settled on the Scott Speedster S40 that my lbs recommended, they specialize in tris and thought it would be good given my beginner status.  Good luck, let us know what you decide!

Ok guys "LBS" stands for Local Bike Shop. Depending on where you live, you might have only one, or one that is far away, or you might have a choice of many. Most of us feel happiest with our bike situations when we have a LBS that we trust and can go to with questions like these. Since you would like to do triathlons, it would be nice if they were a tri-friendly shop. Most are, as they are businesses and try to take care of their customers.

Your absolute best bet is to find out when the shop is not busy and go in with some time to spare. Ask the salesperson to walk you through their selection and give you an idea of what you can afford and what your money buys you.

Usually once you buy a bike, little repairs and maintenance are free or cheap, and you have a forever resource to talk bikes with. I ride with my LBS, so there's that as well. I think I have asked the guys in my shop about every single thing they sell...

Have you read your regional forum? That might be a place where you can find information about LBS near you. You could even post a question to get some recommendations...have you checked out your state forum yet?

2012-01-03 11:38 AM

Master
SouthSide of Chicago
Spin Class tonight for me, yippee!!  Maybe a little yoga afterwards
2012-01-03 11:40 AM
in reply to: #3966719

Master
SouthSide of Chicago
Sammeg - 2012-01-02 3:19 PM
oriolepwr - 2012-01-02 10:14 AM

mjh1975 - 2012-01-01 7:55 PM I got a 6.5mile run in today. Good tempo but got bored to tears on the treadmill. Anyone else get bored with treadmills?Pool time planned for tomorrow.

Nice run Matt,

Dreadmill, Satan's Sidewalk,  rodent wheel etc are some affectionate names for the treadmill.   I really like running on the treadmill and I don't get bored with it at all.  Hardly anyone will agree with me but I might actually even prefer running on the tready. versus outside.   ESPECIALLY on garbage day in the summer!      Now I do manage to get bored in the pool....  So need a lil help there. 

Matt, I'm with you on the snorefest that is the treadmill. Coupla years ago all my runs were inside til I broke the platform for the 3rd time and my wife banned my fat a$$(her exact words ) from using it anymore. Best thing that coulda happened. I run outside in pretty much any condition now, actually love cold NY runs.

Is there a particular reason you can't run outside?

Honestly, I cannot stand the chicago cold weather (below 40f) and running.  Also, I prefer to workout afterwork so the darkness hampers runner outdoors as well.....

2012-01-03 12:04 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
mrkwhittaker - 2012-01-03 10:10 AM

Thanks

Hey Mark,  How tall are you?

2012-01-03 12:29 PM

Master
SouthSide of Chicago
by chance does anyone here ride a Kestrel?  I am considering a Kestrel Airfoil SL?  Anyone with thoughts on this ride?
2012-01-03 2:33 PM
in reply to: #3968289

I am 6'7" tall.

Difficulties finding anything that works for me is normal.

2012-01-03 3:20 PM

User image

Veteran

Mark,

One quick solution, and inexpensive, is to put road tires on the bike.  Assuming you have mountain (knoby) tires on it know.  Make sure your tire pressure is on the high side if there is a range.  This will decrease the rolling resistance and allow you to go faster with less energy.

2012-01-03 3:23 PM
in reply to: #3968689

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
mrkwhittaker - 2012-01-03 2:33 PM

I am 6'7" tall.

Difficulties finding anything that works for me is normal.

I'm sure it is! A friend who is also 6'7" ish. Just got a new tri bike. He's keeping the roadie that he was using. For a moment there. I was like. "hmmmm". Just a rough starting point. For a road bike you are looking for something 63cm-65cm. Area. Road bike sizes are expressed in cm. which is the measurement from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of the seat post. Bottom bracket is where the cranks are installed.

2012-01-03 3:24 PM
in reply to: #3968836

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
TLakatos1259 - 2012-01-03 3:20 PM

Mark,

One quick solution, and inexpensive, is to put road tires on the bike.  Assuming you have mountain (knoby) tires on it know.  Make sure your tire pressure is on the high side if there is a range.  This will decrease the rolling resistance and allow you to go faster with less energy.

Great point. Tom!
2012-01-03 3:30 PM

User image

Veteran

WELL, I did my first walk/run today.  I'll call it my walk'n for now.  30 minutes, with about 2 - 3 minutes of small jogges inbetween.  Boy do my thighes burn!  Did I mention I would bike afterwards, well, umm, ahh, ohh, ouch, pain, feels like bricks someone mentioned.

OH, BTW, why did it have to be 27 degrees F, wind at 20 mph, feels like 12 F.  Great day to start walk'n.  Can't wait to Thursday. Cry

2012-01-03 3:32 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Tom I tried going into your training log. You have it set for private. If you want the group to be able to see your training. You need to change the privacy settings to the setting below. Or just go ahead and make it public. Only allow your "friends list" to view logs you have made public. Then Only the people on your friend list can see your logs.
2012-01-03 3:34 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Sorry about the format on my last post. Stupid iPad. Seems to do this. And adds tons of periods.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 44