BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group (third season) - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 122

2011-12-22 9:37 AM
in reply to: #3949518

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group (third season) - OPEN
I'm looking at $1,000.00 +-

2011-12-22 9:42 AM
in reply to: #3949572

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly
JBacarella - 2011-12-22 10:37 AMI'm looking at $1,000.00 +-
At that price point, I would suggest looking for a used, but well cared for bike. Talk to people at the LBS as they generally know people looking to sell bikes. I would avoid Craigslist and eBay can be touch and go depending on the seller.
2011-12-22 9:44 AM
in reply to: #3947950

Veteran
markz - 2011-12-21 11:19 AM
jenputnam - 2011-12-21 9:58 AM  

Mark- When we first arrived I did experience something like that.  For several months it felt like my body was trying to fight the flu and it lead to me missing workouts because I thought I just needed rest.  

Thanks for the feedback Jennie. Good to feel I'm not alone with this...

It gets better over time.  I've lived at altitude for years - went to Colorado College in C Springs, moved to Boulder, then to Jackson Hole and now in Boise.  It will get better, I promise.  And the benefits are really long lasting - i"ve lived low (3000, I think) for the past couple of years but I can still aclimate pretty easily to higher locales.  And I feel like a total rock star when I run at sea level.  Just make sure that you're hydrating and hydrating.  You just need time - this summer I ran at 9000 for about a week and the first couple runs were rough but by the end of the week I felt fine. 

2011-12-22 9:46 AM
in reply to: #3949572

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL

JBacarella - 2011-12-22 10:37 AM I'm looking at $1,000.00 +-

If you are going with a road bike (vs. a tri-bike), I just bought a new 2011 Jamis Ventura Race, for under $1,200. Shimano 105 components (except crank) , carbon seat post, full carbon fork. The geometry is somewhat relaxed, but works for this 43 yr old body. I think is a great value for the price.

Although this is my first road bike, and have only a couple of rides on it, so far loving it. Of course, get fitted to make sure any bike you get is the right bike for you.

2011-12-22 9:47 AM
in reply to: #3949590

User image

Expert
We are regular ebay buyers, for a purchase like this that is the only easy option. The LBS is an hour and a half from where we live, next to the closest mall. To get to our house your find the middle of nowhere and turn right.
2011-12-22 10:15 AM
in reply to: #3949295

User image

Veteran
clayton
JBacarella - 2011-12-22 5:27 AM

I am in the market for a new (used) bike. If you read my bio my current ride is a 1986 Raleigh Technium (top of the line 25 years ago). I have a few questions.

What are other people riding, and what do you like or dislike about your bike?

What brands and models are good reliable bikes?

What brands and models should I stay from?

Are there must have features and feature which are just bubble gum (tastes good but does not give you anything of real value)?

Jim

Hi JIm - I will proudly enter the TRI season on my TREK 7000 MTB - only mod is addition of smooth tires.

2011-12-22 12:53 PM
in reply to: #3948964

New user

Dallas - Fort Worth
ernestov - 2011-12-21 8:16 PM
flo mo - 2011-12-21 9:51 AM

I have not signed up for the race, but was going to sign up after the 1st.  I think it will be a good first race (300, 6mi, 2mi).  Not sure on what training plan to use.  I looked on the site and found 3 that looked pretty good for me.  The 3 that I am looking at are “Michael Pates total sprint – 22 weeks”, “The original 13 week sprint training” and 16 week sprint -2X Balanced”.   I was thinking of doing the “Michael Pates total sprint – 22 weeks” and starting on week 7 so it will finish the week of the race.  I like how it has the running broken up into walk/run intervals.  I am new to this and my knowledge is low.  I purchased a book a week ago called Your First Triathlon, by Joe Friel.  I got it in the mail yesterday, but have not started looking at it.  I will start my training on Monday Dec 26th.   I am open to your advise let me know what you think. 

Those plans will work, basically you should be pursuing a consistent and frequent training routine where mileage and speed are not the primary element. Friel's books are excellent too. Starting a plan on the 7th week though may not be a good idea, perhaps racing later is a better option. Remember that the season is long and there's many races you can do after. There's a reason for the first weeks and those are the crucial ones where you will become a traithlete.

?

I agree, starting on week 7 probably would not be too smart.  I have decided to do the “16 week sprint – 2X balanced” plan.  It will end the week of my tri race.  I will not have access to the internet the next week, but will update my training log and check back in on Jan 3rd.  Have a great holiday break!  Looking forward to a healthier 2012!

2011-12-22 1:23 PM
in reply to: #3942748

User image

Master
If you need 2 bikes or have a friend/spouse looking to get a bike as well Cervelo is running a special where if you buy 2 bikes (North America only) you can get $2000 back. 
2011-12-22 1:56 PM
in reply to: #3949596

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
elizabethk

It gets better over time.  I've lived at altitude for years - went to Colorado College in C Springs, moved to Boulder, then to Jackson Hole and now in Boise.  It will get better, I promise.  And the benefits are really long lasting - i"ve lived low (3000, I think) for the past couple of years but I can still aclimate pretty easily to higher locales.  And I feel like a total rock star when I run at sea level.  Just make sure that you're hydrating and hydrating.  You just need time - this summer I ran at 9000 for about a week and the first couple runs were rough but by the end of the week I felt fine. 

Thanks Elizabeth, I felt like rock star at the sea level too after getting back to my usual 0' altitude. In my case it lasted maybe 2 weeks or so... Another good thing about running 'high' is the temperature. Here we are close to the equator, yet it is 15 - 20C! This morning my hands were freezing and next time will put some gloves on. And you're right about the hydration - don't leave home without that bottle.

2011-12-22 3:45 PM
in reply to: #3949510

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: RE: Stationary bike experience?
Jrdimaur - 2011-12-22 9:15 AM

ernestov - 2011-12-21 11:29 PM
harmonjh - 2011-12-21 10:13 PM Anyone have experience using upright stationary bikes at the gym and how well they translate at all to real life? HR monitor, power meter, distance, or MPH? I don't have the funds yet for a road bike, plus I live in Indiana. So, for now i'm relegated to making progress on the tools on the stationary bike, but just curious what my reality check will be in a few months when i buy a bike. Thanks, John
They're ok if it's a spinning class, really good to keep fitness levels high. On your own you may die of boredom...

Ernesto - What are your thoughts on spinning classes?  I have a trainer but also live in an apartment and dont have space where I can take an entire room to keep my bike and trainer setup.  So I actually have to go down to basement grab bike bring it up setup etc...  And it just isnt that enjoyable.

I was thinking of also adding in spin classes.  Would you suggest following the exact class layout?

Go for the spinning classes and increase the load as the instructor requests, it will be hard but it pays off. High intensity, short workouts are ideal for the winter, simply because the training time (holidays, short daylilght, cold weather) is significantly reduced. During the spring though, things should start to change from fast and short to long and slow.
2011-12-22 3:51 PM
in reply to: #3949529

User image

Master
Dallas
elizabethk - 2011-12-22 9:22 AM

Thanks for having me. 

NAME:  Elizabeth

STORY:  This is my third season of triathlons.  I started two years ago after we moved to Boise from Jackson hole and I needed to stay in shape but wasnt skiing much anymore.  I did two olys two years ago.  I trained all last winter for the Boise 70.3 and then entered a really hard off-road running race (against the advice of all of my friends), got injured (like they warned I would), and then spent a month out of training nursing injuries so had to forego Boise, I got sick, got injured, blah blah blah, scratched the rest of my tris.  I "won" the lottery for the Nike Women's Marathon in SF and ran that this past fall with a group of friends - awesome experience and first marathon. 

I've always been active and was a swimmer through my first two years of college, then got burned out and quit and didnt swim again until I started training for my first tri.  Swimming is definitley my strength and due to time constraints, I probably wont start swimming again until March. 

FAMILY:  I have a very supportive husband who's an avid mountain biker and skier and three year old twin boys so we're constantly in a scheduling battle for training time.  I'm also an attorney and work full time.  So, like most people, my biggest issue is time. 

CURRENT TRAINING:  Ive fallen in love with running and choose to do that over anything else.  I've also started taking a body pump (group weightlifting) class two times per week.  I know that there are lots of opinion on weight training but I'm a huge supporter.  I havent been injured since I started and previously I was constantly injured (hips, knees, etc) because my core and hip flexors and quads and whatever weren't strong enough.  I've started biking more - its definitely my weakness and my goal is 3 x per week.  I run 4-5 times per week, bike 3, and swim none right now. 

2012 RACES:  My A race will be the Boise 70.3.  I can train on course and rumor has it that its the last year that it will be here.  I may do a 20 mile trail run in April or maybe not.  I'll also might do a couple of local sprints.  Next fall I'm planning another destination marathon (suggestions anyone?) and possibly a second trail marathon.

WEIGHTLOSS:  Fortunately has never been an issue for me.  I'm 5'8" and weigh between 128-131 depending on the day. Although I havent lost any weight from training, I've noticed that I've definitely become smaller and more muscular overall, which is awesome.  

I log religiously (love seeing the peach square filled in) and am excited to work with this group.  I'm also constantly online for work so I can keep up (hopefully) with the pages and pages of posts here.

You can friend me on FB at Elizabeth Cunningham Koeckeritz

I guess we'll meet in Boise, that will be my first half Ironman in 2012, nice! I tried to look at you training log but it wouldn't let me, try changing your settings to public.

2011-12-22 4:04 PM
in reply to: #3950412

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Stationary bike experience?
ernestov - 2011-12-22 3:45 PM
Jrdimaur - 2011-12-22 9:15 AM

ernestov - 2011-12-21 11:29 PM
harmonjh - 2011-12-21 10:13 PM Anyone have experience using upright stationary bikes at the gym and how well they translate at all to real life? HR monitor, power meter, distance, or MPH? I don't have the funds yet for a road bike, plus I live in Indiana. So, for now i'm relegated to making progress on the tools on the stationary bike, but just curious what my reality check will be in a few months when i buy a bike. Thanks, John
They're ok if it's a spinning class, really good to keep fitness levels high. On your own you may die of boredom...

Ernesto - What are your thoughts on spinning classes?  I have a trainer but also live in an apartment and dont have space where I can take an entire room to keep my bike and trainer setup.  So I actually have to go down to basement grab bike bring it up setup etc...  And it just isnt that enjoyable.

I was thinking of also adding in spin classes.  Would you suggest following the exact class layout?

Go for the spinning classes and increase the load as the instructor requests, it will be hard but it pays off. High intensity, short workouts are ideal for the winter, simply because the training time (holidays, short daylilght, cold weather) is significantly reduced. During the spring though, things should start to change from fast and short to long and slow.

Ernesto:

Quick question on the fast and short for the winter.  My cycling is all geered at increasing power over a 16 week period - so lots of intervals and medium length harder efforts.  I think this also dovetails nicely with my early season planned races consisting of duathlon and sprint tri.  My question is on the running.  I want to focus on running at a lower HR (been reading Maffetone's book) and am wondering if any efforts to increase my running pace at a MAF type HR are in vain if I am doing 3 cycling workouts a week where I am going anaerobic? 

I think I really need to continue to build the aerobic engine for running based on running goals so really feel I need to slow my runs back down again (I have been getting greedy in my outdoor runs of late and forgetting the lessons I learned this fall).  Thanks for your opinions/guidance.

Mitch

Edited by dangremond 2011-12-22 4:07 PM
2011-12-22 4:18 PM

User image

Master
Dallas

Mitch, I believe your body needs more frequency than endurance at this point. You don't need to run hard every time but you need to do it often. Long runs at this point are pointless I believe. Remember that it is a misconception to believe that every workout must leave you exhausted. A short three miler at an easy effort level is great for you and more if you do it frequently.

Try to stay consistent once the Holidays are over. Right now it can get difficult because of the family commitments, parties, etc. Just relax and mentally let it go for a bit, then come back with strong in 2012.

2011-12-22 4:51 PM

Veteran
Went to MD today regarding knee swelling and it is a knee effusion. Still needs to be monitored for redness/warmth come up; then it is a septic joint. I was put on corticosteriods for a week. Hopefully, this will do it so I can get back to running, although cycling has been difficult at times.
2011-12-22 6:14 PM

User image

Regular
Colorado Springs
Thanks to the heavy snow we got last night and today and the freezing temps (12 deg F right now), we did an indoor trainer ride today (Spinervals 18.0).  I actually enjoyed it since my HR was more normal than yesterday.  Yesterday my HR seemed elevated in both workouts.  16.34 miles in about 64 minutes.  The roads should be easier to drive on tomorrow to get to the pool for a swim.  The trick will be trying to get in a run.
2011-12-22 6:27 PM

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly

I have to confess I have absolutely no swim kick.  Not only is not propulsive, but when I saw the underwater video my coach showed me, my feet looked like they were at a right angle to my body position - talk about needless drag.  The funny thing is that since my kick is such a non-factor, I easily learned a two beat kick.  To learn better foot positioning and kicking, I am now doing a six beat kick.  I am getting some propulsion and less drag, but not surprisingly find that my legs tire much more quickly.  

So, today's swim set was full of lots of kicking drills (vertical, back, fins, etc.).  Feels like I am going backwards in my swimming regime, but I know that in the long term it will payoff. 

2011-12-22 6:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

Just wanted to send out a quick WELCOME to everyone!  

As Scott mentioned the snow kept us indoors today.  It was falling pretty heavy until 2 hours ago.  We did the Spinervals 18.0 which is a 64 minute areo base builder.  Steady effort with controlled heart rates.  We took the Spinervals threshold test shortly after we arrived here to determine our where our threshold was (166) and then used the formula of the website to determine our training zones (aerobic for me is 146-153).  According to The Big Book, there shouldn't be much difference in zones between cycling and running and that is one reason I run at a higher heart rate (154) than the MAF formula suggests (146).  

Great session despite the Excedrin!  64minutes 14.86miles with an average HR of 150.  Much better than before!!!  Still using decent resistance and a climbing block to prepare for the hills when we get outside again.

I attached a photo of the beginning of our pain cave...My bike is the the one on the left, Scott's on the right.  Both are manufactured by SCOTT.  

(photo (1).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
photo (1).JPG (41KB - 11 downloads)
2011-12-22 6:58 PM
in reply to: #3950599

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

I'm right there with you Joe.  I watched the Total Immersion Video last night and was reading about the 2 beat kicks and so on.  I plan on at least one private lesson after the first, hopefully I can arrange several.  

Monica-I hope the corticosteriods work.  I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers for a full and speedy recovery...

2011-12-22 7:40 PM
in reply to: #3950599

User image

Extreme Veteran

JoePetto - 2011-12-22 6:27 PMSo, today's swim set was full of lots of kicking drills (vertical, back, fins, etc.).  Feels like I am going backwards in my swimming regime, but I know that in the long term it will payoff. 

Fins will help stretch out your ankle muscles.  I had runners feet in the pool and did tons of fin workouts to help my flexibility.

2011-12-22 7:41 PM
in reply to: #3949295

User image

Regular
Colorado Springs
JBacarella - 2011-12-23 6:27 AM

I am in the market for a new (used) bike. If you read my bio my current ride is a 1986 Raleigh Technium (top of the line 25 years ago). I have a few questions.

What are other people riding, and what do you like or dislike about your bike?

What brands and models are good reliable bikes?

What brands and models should I stay from?

Are there must have features and feature which are just bubble gum (tastes good but does not give you anything of real value)?

Jim

Jim,
I think you can get a reasonable entry level bike for $1000, and it would still seem like an upgrade from a 1986 model bike.  Whether you get your bike from a LBS or online, I recommend a trip to the LBS to be sure what size frame you need.  I'm partial to buying a bike at the LBS because of the extras they typically throw in like a discounted (or free) bike fitting, discounts on other items (helmets, pedals, etc), and free tune ups for as long as you own the bike.  My first bike was a brand new Trek 1200 for $800 in 2005.  After a year and a half and 2000+ miles later, I upgraded to a Scott Speedster S10 which I still have and have put almost 6000 miles on it.  As was mentioned earlier, now is probably a good time to shop for a bike when the bike shops have winter sales.  You can also try to catch a LBS trying to unload last year's models and you can often get a good deal then.  Things to consider are an aluminum frame with composite front forks, rear seat stays and seat post.  Definitely also get fitted for a saddle as that will be the primary thing that will determine the comfort of your ride.  As far components, I've always used Shimano but SRAM didn't exist for sale when I bought my current bike (as far as I know).  In general terms, Shimano, from high end to low end, goes Dura-Ace, Ultegra, 105, Tiagra, Sora.  105 and Tiagra are good for an entry level bike (my first had 105 components).  MY current bike has Ultegra on it and I definitely can tell the difference in the shifting.  I'm not sure I'd pay the extra bucks to move up to Dura-Ace though as I've been told the difference isn't worth the cost.

As far as the ongoing thing between road bikes and tri bikes, I know folks have their own opinions about it.  My thinking is tri bikes have an advantage for those that can ride fast enough to benefit from the improved aerodynamics, which doesn't kick in much until you are going over 20 mph.  My best bike performance in a tri was an average of 18.3 mph for 56 miles, so I feel for me a tri bike wouldn't be worth the money.  Also if you ride lots of hils or will race on a hilly course, you might find a road bike with clip-on aero bars to be a better option (not to mention cheaper).  When I can average 20+ mph for races, then I'll think about getting a tri bike.  That's just my personal philosophy, not a suggested rule of thumb.

Just some thoughts...I'm open to hear what others (especially Ernesto) think about bikes. 

2011-12-22 7:44 PM

User image

Maple Grove, MN
I have trouble with fins. I had this small cut just below the nail on my big toe. For the longest time I couldn't figure out where I got it, or why it kept getting reopened. Looked at my Five Fingers, looked at the Merrell Tough Gloves I wore to work. Just couldn't figure it out. Then one day I put on the fins and bam, I noticed. I suppose I could get some waterproof tape and tape up the toe before swimming. But the "get some more pool toys" advice is noted. I will buy some paddles and one of those thingies to keep your legs from moving. (They have kick boards at the pool. I hate kick boards.)

In other news, 8 mile run this morning outside. About 20 F. Just beautiful outside.

2011-12-22 8:06 PM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL

Arggghhhh!

So this morning I broke my toe, or maybe I should say I re-broke my toe (left foot, next to the pinkie toe). I broke it the first time early october while carrying both my kids (combined 55 lbs of cuteness), and had to stop training for a week and a half. It healed fine (although not quite the same shape of the one in the other feet), and no pain.

Well, this morning I "tripped" against shoes on the floor (obviously before my morning coffee), and was ready to blame my wife when I look down and what do I see? MY SHOES! So not only I broke my toe, but cannot even blame my wife for it! My ego hurts more than my toe! I was surprise that I actually broke it in such a way(or at least I think I did, is black and blue), but maybe it wasnt completely healed from the first time.

I think I should be fine for my run tomorrow, but we will see. I guess my mantra tomorrow will be HTFU! HTFU! Hey, if Chrissie Wellington can finish the ironman with a myriad of injuries following her bike crash, I can finish a measly 3 mile run in a (maybe) broken toe - and that is the first and last time I will compare myself to Chrissie....NOT WORTHY! NOT WORTHY!

2011-12-22 8:06 PM
in reply to: #3950449

User image

Master
ernestov - 2011-12-22 4:18 PM

Mitch, I believe your body needs more frequency than endurance at this point. You don't need to run hard every time but you need to do it often. Long runs at this point are pointless I believe. Remember that it is a misconception to believe that every workout must leave you exhausted. A short three miler at an easy effort level is great for you and more if you do it frequently.

Try to stay consistent once the Holidays are over. Right now it can get difficult because of the family commitments, parties, etc. Just relax and mentally let it go for a bit, then come back with strong in 2012.

I understand what you are saying - my issue isn't so much the long run (9 to 10 miles) as it is the intensity.  My last two long runs have been way to high of a pace leaving me fatigued the next day.  I feel like if I would ramp down the intensity I could add a bit more volume.  I like you point about workouts not leaving you exhausted.

2011-12-22 8:17 PM

User image

Regular
Colorado Springs

Samy,
Sorry to hear about the toe.  Good luck and speedy recovery. 

Mitch,
I've drank the kool aid on running at my MAF.  I think it has pretty good benefits for building an aerobic base before moving into strength and speedwork.

2011-12-22 8:23 PM
in reply to: #3950730

User image

Master
dangremond - 2011-12-22 8:06 PM
ernestov - 2011-12-22 4:18 PM

I understand what you are saying - my issue isn't so much the long run (9 to 10 miles) as it is the intensity.  My last two long runs have been way to high of a pace leaving me fatigued the next day.  I feel like if I would ramp down the intensity I could add a bit more volume.  I like you point about workouts not leaving you exhausted.

Thought more about your comments...I get it.  I need to condition my body to handle the daily training before trying to add much more volume.  I think 3 miles per day is good with a hair longer on Sunday given the rest day of Monday that I have built into my schedules.  What do you think?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group (third season) - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 122