BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Lynn: Manatee Madness Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 69

2011-12-26 4:49 PM
in reply to: #3951428

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Subject: RE: Yanti & Lynn: Manatee Madness Mentor Group is OPEN
kgore - 2011-12-23 8:48 AM

Okay, I have a bit of time now so here goes:

My name is Kate, I'm 35, I work as the primary reptile/amphibian keeper at the Sacramento Zoo, and also am working on my final year at college, majoring in anthropology. I grew up riding a bike, but not really swimming, and only occasionally running. Last year, I decided to look into some sort of individual-based sport so that I could lose some of the insidious weight that I'd gained over the last few years...after finding a mountain bike race locally, I stumbled across a listing for a triathlon on the same website--the X-Terra real tri. Having never done a triathlon before, I decided to do another one first, but then do the X-Terra in 2012. After some research, and working with a local coach, I did compete in the Auburn Mini-Sprint in May--and had a blast. I then competed in three more sprints--half of which before finding out that I was having severe issues due to exercise induced asthma! So, I now have a nifty inhaler that helps, and I have improved. I also took part in a obstacle course/mud run in October (the most fun I EVER had!!!) I am looking forward to doing more sprints, an olympic, and more mud runs this year! 

Family status: Married--to a supportive, but non triathlete husband (he golfs...), and then also owned by a cat (soon to be two), a demanding Shiba Inu, a tegu lizard, 2 snakes, a tortoise, a box turtle, another turtle, a bearded dragon and two newts...mostly all are rescues/abandoned pets that were left at the zoo.

Current Training: I've been doing the occasional s/b/r workouts weekly, but I am starting to ramp it up. I have a coach who moved to SoCal last year, but she will be training me by way of the internet (and through "Training Peaks") through this season. I tend to train by doing the activities that are Tri oriented, however, I will throw in Wii Fit workout, as well as hiking, and martial arts (another passion of mine.). I have been tightening up my diet, and due to my gut not really being a fan of dairy and grains, I semi-follow the paleo/primal diet. So, while I will abstain from grains and dairy regularly, I will 'allow' myself to eat something if I am really wanting it.

2011 Races: Auburn Mini Sprint Tri, Tri For Fun #2 and #3, Luna women's Sprint Triathlon, Merrell Down N' Dirty Mud run/Obstacle 5k, Roseville Turkey Trot 5k, and the Jingle Bell Rock'n 10k.

2012 Races planned: 

• Kickstart Duathlon (Jan 21st)
  • Super Bowl 10k (Feb 5)
  • X-Terra Real Sprint Triathlon (Finally!) (April 1)
  • Icebreaker Sprint Triathlon (April 15--My b-day!)
  • X-Treme Run Obstacle race (April 29)
  • Auburn Sprint Triathlon (May 20)
  • Folsom Olympic Triathlon (August 20)
  • Luna Women's Sprint Triathlon (Sept. 8)
  • Merrell's Down n' Dirty Mud Run/Obstacle race (Oct. 28)
  • --Hopefully Warrior Dash--I'll know when they release their 2012 schedule!

There will most likely be some more events, possibly in June or July--we'll see...

Weight loss: I've never been slim, but in the last 6 years, I went from an average of 150 or so (I'm 5'4") to a high of 195 lbs--After the race season last year, I was down to 183 lbs. with a noticeable visual change of my body. I would like to get down to at least 150 again, but simply not looking like I am encased in a sausage casing while wearing tri gear would be fine by me! 

Just wanted to say what a cool job you have! I've done several events up in NorCal, both runs and tris, and there's a great supportive community up there. Xterra events sound awesome. Welcome.

2011-12-26 10:16 PM
in reply to: #3942879

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Squeaked in a quick weights workout tonight having travelled home this afternoon. Have another planned for tomorrow, followed by a run :-) Must confess to feeling very motivated by being 'here'. I am also patently waiting for LP volunteer signups to open any day now so I can hopefully get a super duper spot. Sorry for the spacing, I'm on an iPod and it doesn't like to do it correctly.
2011-12-26 10:34 PM

User image

Expert

Room for another???

My name is Jim, I'm an addicted triathlete.  I'm a 46 yr old Navy Veteran now Internal Medicine physician working as a Hospitalist in Grand Rapids, Michigan.  I began taking exercise seriously while serving with a Marine Expeditionary Unit on deployment in the Gulf in the 90's.  I have 2 boys ages 18 and 16 yrs.  1 weiner dog named Hobbs (His brother Calvin passed last week    ).  Divorced after 19 years....  I have a loud mean looking Harley that has turned my mid-life crisis into a mid-life success!!!

Began running marathons in late 1990's and Tri's in 2003.  I have now completed 8 IM's and have successfully advanced from BOP to MOP status!!  I am doing Texas in May and Arizona in November.  Am following the Don Fink Competitive 30 week plan. I love long course training.  

I live in Michigan where the winters are very cold.  I am still riding outside and will do so until the ice appears or it gets below 20 degrees. 

I am looking for a mentor group that is both full of knowledge and likes to have fun.  I would like to lose approximately 20 pounds by May.  I love junk food and this is going to be a struggle.  I need help in all 3 disciplines.  I have hired a swim instructor and am essentially "re-learning" how to swim this winter.  My first goal in tri's is to have fun and enjoy the health benefits. 

If there is room, would love to join.  Jim

2011-12-26 11:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Des Moines, IA

I'd like to join in with the manatees this time around.  I've tried to do the mentor program twice over the last 3 or so years but have never quite found the "right" group to go along with.

My Bio:

Joel (jtaddei)

I was born in San Francisco California 1983 to a military family and stayed a military brat until 1997 when my dad retired.  I went to college at Southern Illinois University (Carbondale) and received my B.S. in Architectural Studies in a (seemingly) record 5 years!  Not 5 years in to the harsh world of the industry and i've reinvented myself as a Software Engineer.  Taught myself how to program thanks to the web and love my job (finally).

Family status: I'm married to my beautiful wife of 2.5 years and we have an AWESOME 16 month old little guy (need to upload pictures of him to my profile).
Current training: None.  I dream of the days of training - you'll read more about that below i'm sure - but I have my bike sitting on the trainer whimpering to be rode like a dog begging to go for a walk.
This year's races (2011): End of the year, none.  Cancelled pigman half-iron due to lack of training shame.
2012 Races planned (tentative, none scheduled yet):  
* Hy-Vee Olympic distance.

* Pigman Half-Ironman (REVENGE!)

* Des Moines Marathon... still not sure about this.

Weight loss: There is no weight loss to speak of.  My last go of this website I was down from 195 to 185 and have since ballooned to 215 over about 2 years.  My goal is to at least get under 200, anything more than that is just low-fat gravy.

I'm a pretty pathetic case for an ex-triathlete trying to get back in the game.  A few years ago I completed my first 70.3 (Steelhead), Olympic (Chicago), and a few fun road races and when I came back from my last race of the season I found out we were expecting.  Since then I have made no time to train, very little time to work out, and plenty of time to eat and play video games.  I want a change, I need a reason to out run my -now 16 month old- when he's 16 YEARS old.  Triathlon changed my life a few years ago and it can do it again... but can I fit it in to my schedule?  Plenty of people here do, so why can't I?!

Joel

2011-12-27 2:28 AM
in reply to: #3954308

User image

Melon Presser
lmscozz - 2011-12-27 6:49 AM
kgore - 2011-12-23 8:48 AM

Family status: Married--to a supportive, but non triathlete husband (he golfs...), and then also owned by a cat (soon to be two), a demanding Shiba Inu, a tegu lizard, 2 snakes, a tortoise, a box turtle, another turtle, a bearded dragon and two newts...mostly all are rescues/abandoned pets that were left at the zoo.

Just wanted to say what a cool job you have! I've done several events up in NorCal, both runs and tris, and there's a great supportive community up there. Xterra events sound awesome. Welcome.

Indeed! We DEFINITELY need a zookeeper for this Funny Farm

2011-12-27 2:39 AM
in reply to: #3954659

User image

Melon Presser
jimmyb - 2011-12-27 12:34 PM

Room for another???

My name is Jim, I'm an addicted triathlete.  I'm a 46 yr old Navy Veteran now Internal Medicine physician working as a Hospitalist in Grand Rapids, Michigan.  I began taking exercise seriously while serving with a Marine Expeditionary Unit on deployment in the Gulf in the 90's.  I have 2 boys ages 18 and 16 yrs.  1 weiner dog named Hobbs (His brother Calvin passed last week    ).  Divorced after 19 years....  I have a loud mean looking Harley that has turned my mid-life crisis into a mid-life success!!!

Began running marathons in late 1990's and Tri's in 2003.  I have now completed 8 IM's and have successfully advanced from BOP to MOP status!!  I am doing Texas in May and Arizona in November.  Am following the Don Fink Competitive 30 week plan. I love long course training.  

I live in Michigan where the winters are very cold.  I am still riding outside and will do so until the ice appears or it gets below 20 degrees. 

I am looking for a mentor group that is both full of knowledge and likes to have fun.  I would like to lose approximately 20 pounds by May.  I love junk food and this is going to be a struggle.  I need help in all 3 disciplines.  I have hired a swim instructor and am essentially "re-learning" how to swim this winter.  My first goal in tri's is to have fun and enjoy the health benefits. 

Jim, definitely an honor to have such an accomplished triathlete in our midst. Thanks for joining.

I'm sorry about Calvin. Please give Hobbs a BWSK (big wet sloppy kiss) for me. Oh heck, you can have one too .

I'm a big fan of Don Fink's programs. I've used them to train for (now my 5th, and NEVER GOT TO THE RACE ... yet) IMs. Have you used other programs for yours as well?

Junk food's a tough one for sure. Different mental tricks work for different people, as you know. I don't forbid myself (ha, like forbidding myself anything would ever work), but I don't keep it in the house--if I want it, I'm going to have to go out to get it.

The one exception is Pop Tarts (not available in Indonesia). I use those as breakfast before long sessions, or after long sessions only.

2011-12-27 2:43 AM
in reply to: #3954683

User image

Melon Presser
jtaddei - 2011-12-27 1:01 PM

I'd like to join in with the manatees this time around.  I've tried to do the mentor program twice over the last 3 or so years but have never quite found the "right" group to go along with.

My Bio:

Joel (jtaddei)

I was born in San Francisco California 1983 to a military family and stayed a military brat until 1997 when my dad retired.  I went to college at Southern Illinois University (Carbondale) and received my B.S. in Architectural Studies in a (seemingly) record 5 years!  Not 5 years in to the harsh world of the industry and i've reinvented myself as a Software Engineer.  Taught myself how to program thanks to the web and love my job (finally).

Family status: I'm married to my beautiful wife of 2.5 years and we have an AWESOME 16 month old little guy (need to upload pictures of him to my profile).
Current training: None.  I dream of the days of training - you'll read more about that below i'm sure - but I have my bike sitting on the trainer whimpering to be rode like a dog begging to go for a walk.
This year's races (2011): End of the year, none.  Cancelled pigman half-iron due to lack of training shame.

Weight loss: There is no weight loss to speak of.  My last go of this website I was down from 195 to 185 and have since ballooned to 215 over about 2 years.  My goal is to at least get under 200, anything more than that is just low-fat gravy.

I'm a pretty pathetic case for an ex-triathlete trying to get back in the game.  A few years ago I completed my first 70.3 (Steelhead), Olympic (Chicago), and a few fun road races and when I came back from my last race of the season I found out we were expecting.  Since then I have made no time to train, very little time to work out, and plenty of time to eat and play video games.  I want a change, I need a reason to out run my -now 16 month old- when he's 16 YEARS old.  Triathlon changed my life a few years ago and it can do it again... but can I fit it in to my schedule?  Plenty of people here do, so why can't I?!

Joel

Joel, Welcome Back and welcome to the Manatees. Congrats on spawning, I bet he is a real cutie!

A lot of us have had ups and downs, been at a peak, had to come back. I hope this group is right for you. As Lynn said in her bio, "It's never too late to be who you might have been." That's as true now as it was before!

2011-12-27 2:46 AM
in reply to: #3954222

User image

Melon Presser
jogo - 2011-12-27 5:19 AM

Bawk, Bawk!!   I love it!   We here in Michigan have the BT Rawk Squad, which just means that you are a Michigan BT'er who RAWKs!   I think we need to be the Manatee Bawk Squad.  Mother Hens United!!!

I do listen to both Clint and my coach.  I know that the USAT cert just means you passed a test, just like any other certification.  My hot piglet coach really has my best interest at heart.  I've known him for years.  He is the captain of the "tri" team that I belong to, Team Motiv8 (less competitive, more of role models to get obese teenagers moving).  Piglet coach is a personal trainer, EMT, and firefighter.  Not that that makes him qualified but to me, he is only there for the accountability and to see if he likes using Training Peaks as a tool. I am calling the shots as much as he is.   My goals are not to BQ or anything unrealistic.  Big Sur Marathon has a 6 hour time limit.  My road marathons times were 5:41, 5:42, and 5:48.  Big Sur is hillier than I am used to.  All my road marathons have been fairly flat.  I don't want to spend the money to go out to Big Sur if I can't get my medal because I finished after the cut off.  I will not buy my plane tickets until 6 weeks out, before prices go up drastically.  The only financial investment I have is the registration, and that is tax deductible if I don't do the race.  If I can't do this, I won't be heartbroken.  I will be listening and judging the next few weeks.  I am going into this very low key, no pressure, and letting my body say yay or nay, not a coach or a PT. 

Clint is pretty awesome to work with for this calf thing.  He has had similar issues and had to DNF Chicago because of it.  He only qualified for the olympic trials in December by 4 seconds.  I saw him on Thursday night at an appt and he didn't even tell me that he would be running CIM on Saturday.  I am a little star struck.    The Hanson-Brooks Team trains on the same trails with me and I see them all the time.  Desi Davilla is amazing to watch, even in training. 

I,promise, that this manatee will be smart about all of this.  I don't promise to be good about eating clean though.  3 cookies were just calling my name.  Its not the New Year yet.  I may have to wait and start that with the rest of the world.  I will log the cookies, for fun, just to see how many calories I really do consume between Christmas and New Years Day.  

For the record, we don't really have hills or even speed bumps in SE Michigan.  I will probably run the parking structure at work tomorrow, so low incline, not much down hill to tear up the quads. 

You had me at "hot piglet coach."

I had gingerbread cookies for breakfast. Hey, gingerbread, so low in fat compared to other pastries! (denial ... justification)

2011-12-27 4:17 AM
in reply to: #3953774

User image

England

Thanks for the advice tripopo. Unfortunately i haven't heard of Chantix. Perhaps its not available here in the UK. I'll do a bit of research on it to see if we have something similar/same under a different name.

I have used patches before with some success but they gave me wierd dreams (some of which i liked!!). I know i can do it this time though because i am soooo determined to complete my first triathlon and as soon as i start seeing and feeling the health benefits it will really spur me on.

i will be quiting on 31 december and will keep you posted.

2011-12-27 4:28 AM

User image

England
Subject: RE: Yanti & Lynn: Manatee Madness Mentor Group CLOSED

Sooo glad i squeeked into your group just a couple of days before it closed.

I began my training yesterday with a 25 min jog/walk and suddenly remembered why i hate running! those two minute jogs seemed to last five minutes each. I had to keep checking my watch to see if it had stopped!!! But, i did feel great afterwards.

Today brings on my first swim - 10 lengths plus 4 cool down (if i can find a swimming baths that are open as its still a national holiday here) and my first bike ride of 4 miles. I bet all of you seasoned types are giggling at the distances but i haven't swum 10 lengths since i was at school and that was a very long time agoCry.

Does anyone know how to fix a puncture? If not this could be a short ride!

2011-12-27 7:52 AM
in reply to: #3954753

User image

Veteran
North Bend, WA
ukweeble - 2011-12-27 2:28 AM

I began my training yesterday with a 25 min jog/walk and suddenly remembered why i hate running! those two minute jogs seemed to last five minutes each. I had to keep checking my watch to see if it had stopped!!! But, i did feel great afterwards.

Congrats on making the 25 min jog/walk - it WILL get easier and just remember to log the fact that it felt great afterwards!  Remember that....next time you are struggling on the jog.  Another trick - tell yourself...2 mins until my next walk break.  I have been an avid run walker and I have told mysef...keep it up..just X min until I get to walk.

way to go!!

2011-12-27 7:54 AM
in reply to: #3954222

User image

Veteran
North Bend, WA
jogo - 2011-12-26 1:19 PM

Bawk, Bawk!!   I love it!   We here in Michigan have the BT Rawk Squad, which just means that you are a Michigan BT'er who RAWKs!   I think we need to be the Manatee Bawk Squad.  Mother Hens United!!!

I do listen to both Clint and my coach.  I know that the USAT cert just means you passed a test, just like any other certification.  My hot piglet coach really has my best interest at heart.  I've known him for years.  He is the captain of the "tri" team that I belong to, Team Motiv8 (less competitive, more of role models to get obese teenagers moving).  Piglet coach is a personal trainer, EMT, and firefighter.  Not that that makes him qualified but to me, he is only there for the accountability and to see if he likes using Training Peaks as a tool. I am calling the shots as much as he is.   My goals are not to BQ or anything unrealistic.  Big Sur Marathon has a 6 hour time limit.  My road marathons times were 5:41, 5:42, and 5:48.  Big Sur is hillier than I am used to.  All my road marathons have been fairly flat.  I don't want to spend the money to go out to Big Sur if I can't get my medal because I finished after the cut off.  I will not buy my plane tickets until 6 weeks out, before prices go up drastically.  The only financial investment I have is the registration, and that is tax deductible if I don't do the race.  If I can't do this, I won't be heartbroken.  I will be listening and judging the next few weeks.  I am going into this very low key, no pressure, and letting my body say yay or nay, not a coach or a PT. 

Clint is pretty awesome to work with for this calf thing.  He has had similar issues and had to DNF Chicago because of it.  He only qualified for the olympic trials in December by 4 seconds.  I saw him on Thursday night at an appt and he didn't even tell me that he would be running CIM on Saturday.  I am a little star struck.    The Hanson-Brooks Team trains on the same trails with me and I see them all the time.  Desi Davilla is amazing to watch, even in training. 

I,promise, that this manatee will be smart about all of this.  I don't promise to be good about eating clean though.  3 cookies were just calling my name.  Its not the New Year yet.  I may have to wait and start that with the rest of the world.  I will log the cookies, for fun, just to see how many calories I really do consume between Christmas and New Years Day.  

For the record, we don't really have hills or even speed bumps in SE Michigan.  I will probably run the parking structure at work tomorrow, so low incline, not much down hill to tear up the quads. 

All good information - have a GREAT run today...

2011-12-27 8:42 AM

User image

Coastal Carolina

I hear ya on the no hills, I have to drive to a bridge to do any hill work here in coastal carolina, called the low country for a reason which is going to make training for my charity ride that much more awesome, it is from Richmond VA to Wash DC lots of rolling hills...

OK Officially signed up for the HIM this and still trying to get confirmation on my switch from full to half marathon, but I had a question related to training workouts.  And having chocolate cake for breakfast and am going to be ok with that for today.

I work a 4 days on,10 hour shift, 3 days off schedule which is great for 3 days off in a row but not so much for during the week training.  Is it acceptable/advisable/not horribly stupid to plan on trying to get 4 workouts in on my 3 days off?  Say long bike day one, long swim and short run day two, and long run day three so that I can concnetrate on shorter harder workouts during the week, also I'm a bike cop so I need to be able to move at work...

2011-12-27 8:50 AM
in reply to: #3954934

User image

Master
Orlando
Tripopo - 2011-12-27 8:42 AM

I hear ya on the no hills, I have to drive to a bridge to do any hill work here in coastal carolina, called the low country for a reason which is going to make training for my charity ride that much more awesome, it is from Richmond VA to Wash DC lots of rolling hills...

OK Officially signed up for the HIM this and still trying to get confirmation on my switch from full to half marathon, but I had a question related to training workouts.  And having chocolate cake for breakfast and am going to be ok with that for today.

I work a 4 days on,10 hour shift, 3 days off schedule which is great for 3 days off in a row but not so much for during the week training.  Is it acceptable/advisable/not horribly stupid to plan on trying to get 4 workouts in on my 3 days off?  Say long bike day one, long swim and short run day two, and long run day three so that I can concnetrate on shorter harder workouts during the week, also I'm a bike cop so I need to be able to move at work...

I don't know if it is advisable or not, but i do double workouts every Saturday.  Saturdays are typically my long run day, so after i finish that i head to the pool (or lake or both) and get an hour or so swim in.  I look forward to the swim as I think it helps me recover from the long run.  Of course, that might be me just telling myself it works more than anything else, but I'm sticking with that story

If circumstances call for it, I double up other days too. 

Ann-Marie

2011-12-27 9:00 AM

User image

Melon Presser

***IMPORTANT NOTICE***

If you don't already use the log (blog) function on BT to log your training, PLEASE DO SO. (It's also a great place to log nutrition, sleep, how you feel, how your workouts felt, your daily life story, or whatever you want.)

If you need any help setting your log up or logging your workouts, any of us who already do will be happy to help.

Lynn and I are actually pretty decent at checking in on your logs to encourage you, and it always happens that the members of the pod start "inspiring" each other on their logs as well ("inspire" is BT speak for leaving a comment in someone else's log/blog).

I will be creating a click-through manatee pod roster so you can just paste it into the free section on your log if you wish, and it's very easy to click on this thread as well as other members' logs then.

2011-12-27 9:11 AM
in reply to: #3954865

User image

Melon Presser
stampinann - 2011-12-27 9:52 PM
ukweeble - 2011-12-27 2:28 AM

Congrats on making the 25 min jog/walk - it WILL get easier and just remember to log the fact that it felt great afterwards!  Remember that....next time you are struggling on the jog.  Another trick - tell yourself...2 mins until my next walk break.  I have been an avid run walker and I have told mysef...keep it up..just X min until I get to walk.

way to go!!

x2! Exactly.

Also, if you're going on say a 3:2 walk/run, don't be afraid to make it, say, a 2:1. Even the run should be at a conversational pace (you're not huffing and puffing by the end of the 2 min, or 1 min).

I once (twice, actually) got to go to a fantastic seminar with the man, the myth, the legend Jeff Galloway, widely known as the guy who's the biggest promoter/proponent of run/walk (it's sometimes even called Gallowalking!) and it was right before I was going into a tough marathon. He spent a half-hour with me personally, going over the plans for that marathon and my future running generally.

Anyway, when I said I was planning on a 2:2 run/walk, he said, why not 1:1? It will actually wear less on your body, but be the exact same ratio. That piece of advice wound up SAVING my marathon.

2011-12-27 9:13 AM
in reply to: #3954976

User image

Melon Presser
***IMPORTANT NOTICE***

If you don't already use the log (blog) function on BT to log your training, PLEASE DO SO. (It's also a great place to log nutrition, sleep, how you feel, how your workouts felt, your daily life story, or whatever you want.)

If you need any help setting your log up or logging your workouts, any of us who already do will be happy to help.

Lynn and I are actually pretty decent at checking in on your logs to encourage you, and it always happens that the members of the pod start "inspiring" each other on their logs as well ("inspire" is BT speak for leaving a comment in someone else's log/blog).

I will be creating a click-through manatee pod roster so you can just paste it into the free section on your log if you wish, and it's very easy to click on this thread as well as other members' logs then.

2011-12-27 9:27 AM
in reply to: #3954951

User image

Melon Presser
amd723 - 2011-12-27 10:50 PM
Tripopo - 2011-12-27 8:42 AM

I don't know if it is advisable or not, but i do double workouts every Saturday.  Saturdays are typically my long run day, so after i finish that i head to the pool (or lake or both) and get an hour or so swim in.  I look forward to the swim as I think it helps me recover from the long run.  Of course, that might be me just telling myself it works more than anything else, but I'm sticking with that story

If circumstances call for it, I double up other days too. 

Ann-Marie

I used to do exactly that myself.

Kirk, the truth is that a variety of training schedules will work for different people. Some people take NO REST DAYS (they'll do yoga or a recovery swim, easy spin, or walk on a day "off," and/or take them as needed, not scheduled); some people do 4 days ON, 2 days light, rest; some do 10 days on 2 days off ...

The main thing to watch out for is on your three main "on" days, work it out however you can so that you are going into your last workout (4th, 5th or whatever) still able to execute it well. You may be more tired or it may be more of a "just do it," but there's nothing wrong with putting three heavy days together provided the other four are structured well.

2011-12-27 9:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
I thought about using a run/ walk program for my Mary. I just have the hardest time convincing my brain that walking will be beneficial in the long run. I feel so slow anyway, that I worry I won't make my times if I walk. You think it really IS helpful to walk though? Were you able to keep a steady pace throughout doing it that way?
2011-12-27 10:14 AM
in reply to: #3954752

User image

Master
Vista, CA
ukweeble - 2011-12-27 2:17 AM

Thanks for the advice tripopo. Unfortunately i haven't heard of Chantix. Perhaps its not available here in the UK. I'll do a bit of research on it to see if we have something similar/same under a different name.

I have used patches before with some success but they gave me wierd dreams (some of which i liked!!). I know i can do it this time though because i am soooo determined to complete my first triathlon and as soon as i start seeing and feeling the health benefits it will really spur me on.

i will be quiting on 31 december and will keep you posted.

FWIW-- Hate to admit it but I did smoke for about a year out of college (a VERY long time ago) and I cut out anything I associated with smoking or anytime the activity automatically triggered reaching for a cig-- coffee (switched to strong tea), talking on the phone, etc. I also locked myself in the house for the first weekend, as I recall it was a long Thanksgiving weekend. That way I wouldn't have access to any. Also, I left all the ashtrays full and everytime I wanted one, I'd smell an ashtray -- very disgusting and a real deterrent.  Just my 2-cents and hoping you kick this monster in the arse!

2011-12-27 10:15 AM
in reply to: #3955078

User image

Melon Presser

cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-12-27 11:43 PM I thought about using a run/ walk program for my Mary. I just have the hardest time convincing my brain that walking will be beneficial in the long run. I feel so slow anyway, that I worry I won't make my times if I walk. You think it really IS helpful to walk though? Were you able to keep a steady pace throughout doing it that way?

Run/walk is an intensity management strategy, can be a mental trick to keep you running, but is also a viable strategy in training for making you run more (total) than you would if you ran straight through.

By the way, which training program were you thinking of for the mary?

Lake Placid has a 6-hour time limit. That's a 13:47/mile pace. You can walk a 13:47 mile. So if you add any running in at all, you will at least make the time limit for the marathon. As for making YOUR paces, you run between a 10-12 minute mile (depending), correct? I would do some experimentation. Try some of your runs as run/walk (if you've already been a straight runner, say, 3:1 or 2:1. Don't amble the walks: good brisk walk). See if it makes the running easier; see if the walk breaks allow you to go a bit faster on the run; see if you feel more refreshed at the end of a run.

It may. It may not.

Here's a good resource to read on why try run/walk: http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/walk_breaks.html

2011-12-27 10:17 AM
in reply to: #3954683

User image

Master
Vista, CA
jtaddei - 2011-12-26 9:01 PM

My Bio:

Joel (jtaddei)

Joel

Welcome Joel -- Your desire will get you back in it -- maybe a mantra -- or little sticky notes on places you'll see as a reminder. And, remember start back slow and ease into it, or you risk burnout or injury or both! Stay with us!!

2011-12-27 10:25 AM
in reply to: #3955078

User image

Master
Vista, CA

cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-12-27 7:43 AM I thought about using a run/ walk program for my Mary. I just have the hardest time convincing my brain that walking will be beneficial in the long run. I feel so slow anyway, that I worry I won't make my times if I walk. You think it really IS helpful to walk though? Were you able to keep a steady pace throughout doing it that way?

I just did an experiment on run/walk in my last marathon earlier this month. It may not earn you a PR, but it will help you finish and I believe helps with a quicker recovery. It takes some discipline if you're used to running, but I think it's a great way to go. Galloway is a huge proponent of the run/walk. HEre's a link to the website:

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/marathon.html

2011-12-27 10:32 AM
in reply to: #3955004

User image

Master
Vista, CA
TriAya - 2011-12-27 7:13 AM ***IMPORTANT NOTICE***

Yes, I like leaving "inspires" and checking logs. If you click the red number next to your inspires it takes you to them and then as you read one, the number will go down, click again, and then you'll get to each one as you click. The inspires are in the upper left corner in the user information (just in case someone doesn't know). It took me a while to figure it all out at first. Plus, you can respond to those who inspire you by hitting reply.

Yanti, I think we're full up, got 23 (including us) paddling manatees.  Let's CLOSE the pod until next time around.

Will you get that on our listing in the forums? Pretty please? with poptarts all OVER it!!

And, btw -- I'm going to have to get up an hour earlier, not for workouts, but just to read all the posts that come in overnight!

2011-12-27 10:36 AM
in reply to: #3954659

User image

Master
Vista, CA
jimmyb - 2011-12-26 8:34 PM

Room for another???

Welcome Jim !! We so need a doctor in the house! You gotta pick your junk food -- can't give it all up and restrict -- too much like a diet, too much restriction and it just doesn't work. Pick your "junk" and dole it out in small portions. Like Yanti said, if you don't have it in the house -- you can't eat it.  Keeping your environment clear of temptations is important -- including work and car and other places where you find yourself spending time. Start looking for some alternatives to your favorites and start thinking smaller portions.

And, having fun, YES, YES, YES!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Lynn: Manatee Madness Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 69