BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 64

2012-12-31 1:08 PM
in reply to: #4555294

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: kenj mentor group - back for another great season! OPEN
Jambago - 2012-12-31 2:06 PM
kenj - 2012-12-31 7:30 AM

Started off the day with a swim, the main set was 3 X 300 test to determine T pace.  Easy run later on, more than likely on the treadmill.

What are the rest of you up to today?

I headed out for my 1st run - post flu - and wasn't to upset with it. Left the heart monitor at home and just went easy for about 6 1/2 miles. Breathing was OK, but had a cough for about 20 mins afterward - which has thankfully since left! I felt more confident about my upcoming marathon and am looking forward to the warmer Florida weather for a few days. Funny thing is I used to like the cold (but that was about 30 lbs ago, too!). I think my plan for the taper will be to take the advice and keep my remaining runs shorter with a few days of some yoga thrown in-between to stretch things out a bit. I hope everyone has a good and safe night!

That is good news! It has to be a confidence builder to be back out there!

2012-12-31 1:36 PM
in reply to: #4555277

User image

Expert
San Jose
zee744 - 2012-12-31 10:58 AM
50andgettingfit - 2012-12-31 12:37 PM
zee744 - 2012-12-31 8:09 AM
Omahabritt - 2012-12-31 10:49 AM
zee744 - 2012-12-31 8:48 AM
kenj - 2012-12-31 9:39 AM
zee744 - 2012-12-31 8:52 AM

January Goals:

- WAKE UP! I want to workout before work, but that requires a 5:30 wake up and I'm not a morning person...at all. Taking volunteers for my AM wake up call. Seriously.

- Continue to work with coach and follow my plan. 

- Use VO2 Max and other testing to get more specific HR zones.

- Order all necessary bike parts. i.e. don't need Zipps for the trainer.

- Continue to lose weight.

- Work more on strength and core. 

I have the opposite problem, morning workouts are not an issue, lunch time runs sometimes workout ok, but until summer time, I struggle with evening workouts. 

Good goals though!

If I didn't have hardwood floors and live in a 2nd floor apartment I'd be doing trainer rides til 1am. But, I'm courteous, so I can't. I really do need/want to get up. It would give me a lot more training time and free time if I could just get out of bed.

Nate, I'd give you a wake up call if we didn't live in different time zones! It's funny, my kids are in school all day, but I choose to get up at 5am every day during the week to go before the kids are up. Plus when training ramps up, it's easier to have one workout out of the way earlier. Evening workouts are SO HARD for me!! Ugh. I avoid them at all costs. So funny how everyone's different. Still working on Jan goals. Family's still here, so I'm hoping to get outside for a run this afternoon, before the evening festivities. Hope everyone has a fun night!!

Then I think for the benefit of the group, and so we're all on the same page, we should all adopt EST for the coming months.

Can I go to bed when you guys do?

As long as I don't have to wake up until 5:30AM your time it's fine with me. 

Deal!

2012-12-31 1:38 PM
in reply to: #4542655

User image

Expert
San Jose

I started the day with my last run of the year. My middle daughter wants to do her first 10K so we started a walk/run program 4 weeks ago. It was a nice way for me to run post-IM and she has been doing great!

Tomorrow will be a day off but I'm going to try to plan my month so Wednesday I'll be back out there.

2012-12-31 3:00 PM
in reply to: #4552037

User image

New user
I'm wondering what's the best way to use this mentor forum? Do most members just review all the posts that are made within the group each day? You mentioned something about email notices, which I'll review again.

Sometimes I'll have time to post and respond and sometimes I won't, so I'm just wondering about the best approach.

Thanks!
2012-12-31 3:05 PM

User image

New user
Goals for January:
WAKE UP! (Borrowing this from the poster who said this earlier)--I am a morning exercise person, but have the hardest time actually getting out of bed. Once my IM training plan starts in mid-February I will have no choice in order to fit in all the necessary workouts. But for January, I will be working on early morning workouts 6 days a week, to include running Sunday (long run), Monday and Friday, Crossfit Tuesday/Thursday, and biking Saturday. I will have some evening Crossfit and running, as well, and maybe 1 day on the bike trainer instead of an evening run.

Starting...tomorrow!
2012-12-31 3:12 PM
in reply to: #4555482

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

rquinn23 - 2012-12-31 4:00 PM I'm wondering what's the best way to use this mentor forum? Do most members just review all the posts that are made within the group each day? You mentioned something about email notices, which I'll review again. Sometimes I'll have time to post and respond and sometimes I won't, so I'm just wondering about the best approach. Thanks!

That is completely up to you, although I think those that get the most out of these groups tend to participate by asking questions or commenting on other posts.  I like to post questions to the group, some are as simple as what is the training for the day. 

In my opinion, there are 2 big benefits to the mentor groups.  One is accountability.  If you post your training on your log and recognize that we will all be checking in and offering encouragement, or other feedback from time to time, you are more likely to get out and get your training done and the workout posted.

The other benefit is knowledge.  We all have varying experiences with triathlon.  You can ask a question about bike parts, or getting a proper fitting and odds are someone here has been there and can share their experience.  We can discuss good ideas about run training or swimming or any other tri related topic that comes up.  Nothing is off limits and there is no such thing as a dumb question! 

Time wise, we all have limitations.  For me, the e-mail option works because I am at my computer most days and if I see something come through I can respond if needed or wait till later if it isn't pressing.  You will have to see what works best for you. 

2012-12-31 4:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA

Hi all,

Do you have room for one more?  I am Karen, from outside Pittsburgh, PA, and I have big goals for this year and would love a mentor group to help me achieve them!  I will work on my bio if that is okay!

2012-12-31 4:15 PM
in reply to: #4555569

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
gadgetlaw - 2012-12-31 5:08 PM

Hi all,

Do you have room for one more?  I am Karen, from outside Pittsburgh, PA, and I have big goals for this year and would love a mentor group to help me achieve them!  I will work on my bio if that is okay!

Sure! Post your bio when you can!
2012-12-31 5:08 PM

User image

Master
Sin City
Did my last bike ride of the year. 33 miles. It took a little bit to get going as the last long ride was on the 8th. Was kind of hoping to finish the year with 3000 miles, but the majority of my miles was between April and now with two months off the bike and very light miles at the beginning of the year. I'll take it! It was chilly, but nothing I couldn't handle. Rest of the day is to clear out our den's bathroom to prepare it for demolition (water damage from faulty water heater...long story, but we are getting practically a whole new bathroom after asbestos removal and wall-to-wall AND floor tiles..yuck!!! All paid for by insurance!). And enjoy our fire in the fireplace and count down the last mins of 2012. I'll probably be the last person on this group hitting Midnight! Happy New Year!!
2012-12-31 6:56 PM

Hi! Kenji, I'm interested in your mentor gruop if it's still open. I'm a total novice at this so if that's okay I'm in. Thanks.
2012-12-31 9:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Just pulled the plug and registered for the beach to battleship full distance 2013 race....

2012-12-31 9:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Just pulled the plug and registered for the beach to battleship full distance 2013 race....
2012-12-31 10:13 PM
in reply to: #4555933

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

ramiedd - 2012-12-31 9:46 PM Just pulled the plug and registered for the beach to battleship full distance 2013 race....

Woot!!!!

2013-01-01 1:32 AM

User image

Room for one more?
2013-01-01 6:40 AM
in reply to: #4555774

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

joedodge - 2012-12-31 7:56 PM Hi! Kenji, I'm interested in your mentor gruop if it's still open. I'm a total novice at this so if that's okay I'm in. Thanks.

Sure, post a bio.

2013-01-01 6:40 AM
in reply to: #4556006

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

RunningJoke - 2013-01-01 2:32 AM Room for one more?

Yep, post a bio!

2013-01-01 6:41 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

ramiedd - 2012-12-31 10:46 PM Just pulled the plug and registered for the beach to battleship full distance 2013 race....

That makes it real now!!  Woo hoo!

I saw a facebook post by a new race that Bill and I are doing that said that their registration numbers have jumped big overnight! 

2013-01-01 6:43 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

I think I will close the group as there are still a couple of former members that I think will join us and there is always a couple of people that ask after it has closed.

I think we have a great group of about 20 that will all hopefully stay engaged and be a part of the group!

2013-01-01 6:45 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Happy New Years everyone!  I hope everyone had a great night!  Me I made it almost to 9:30! 

We have a winter race series here that has 6 races from 5K to 8 miles every other weekend.  Plus one of the races is a 7.5 mile New Years day race.  So I am off to run that this morning!  Not racing it but a decent effort!

What is everyone else up to?

2013-01-01 8:29 AM
in reply to: #4556052

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
kenj - 2013-01-01 7:45 AM

Happy New Years everyone!  I hope everyone had a great night!  Me I made it almost to 9:30! 

We have a winter race series here that has 6 races from 5K to 8 miles every other weekend.  Plus one of the races is a 7.5 mile New Years day race.  So I am off to run that this morning!  Not racing it but a decent effort!

What is everyone else up to?

Good luck Ken!

2013-01-01 8:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED
Happy New Year everyone!! Ken, good luck with your race!!

Trying to start off the year right & posting my goals for Jan...

1.) Get back in the pool! (2-3x per week)
2.) Settle on a training plan for IM Wisconsin & pre Ironman (I really do best with a structured plan)
3.) Get a bike trainer (not a person)
4.) Detox food wise from the holidays
5.) Start logging my training in my BT training log (last year I only did it for half the year, I didn't stop working out, it just looks like I did. I really would have liked to see what my numbers were for the entire year)
6.) Adjust to Eastern Time Zone for the group.

Headed out for a run later when it warms up a bit (it's only 3 right now!)

First question...have any of you done the BT Ironman training plans? I did one for my HIM last year & was well prepared with a few modifications (suggested by BTers). Was hoping to do the same this year.

2013-01-01 9:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Stockton-on-Tees

Happy New Year everyone.

I managed to stay up till 1 am - I'm not such a great athlete.

I did manage to get out on my bike this morning (ie, i got up - put may gear on and then fannied about for 3 hours before getting out the door).

I only did about 9 miles, and had to get off and push twice - but is is a nice little loop around where I live so I thought that if I put this down as a marker then if I do it regularly I will know I'm improving when I get faster and don't have to stop cycling. I read on the forum somewhere someone advising a mum who can only train for maybe up to 1 and half hours daily that doing that much consistently will get you to the same place as less longer efforts. I hope this is right.

I haven't used the bt plan for HIM. They look a little complicated to me - but I'll have another look.

Jennifer

ps I think EST is over rated.  Why don't you all come and join me in GMT?

2013-01-01 9:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY

Wow, things are moving fast in here.  Happy New Year everyone!!

Ken, hope you had a great race!

BT plans - I've used the HIM, but went with Be Iron Fit for IM.  I liked them both, but I pretty much ignore the swim workouts.  If I'm not swimming with the masters group, I try to use Workouts in a Binder.

Johanne - I read your race report from IMAZ.  Fantastic race and report.  2012 was my first too, and I loved it.

Kicked off the year with a run including 30' a little slower than threshold pace.  That knocked the hangover out of me, but now I'm ready for a nap and the Twilight Zone marathon that runs through the holiday....

2013-01-01 9:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY

I took a look at 2012 training and had some thoughts about going forward:

2012 totals
Bike:216h 07m 05s  - 3291.12 Mi
Run:191h 21m 59s  - 1300.81 Mi
Swim:104h 55m 47s  - 251200.1 Yd

Bike - I think I'll do less mileage in 2013.  A lot of these rides were long slow IM training ride.  I'd rather see some more intensity in 2013, hopefully getting dropped later and later in group rides.

Run - This will go up in 2013 from marathon training.

Swim - I don't know, it seems like as much swimming as I'll be doing but I'm not getting much faster.  At least I'm starting to like swimming, so if I don't get faster, I'll live.

2013-01-01 1:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA

NAME:  gadgetlaw/Karen

STORY: I’m 45 and live in Greensburg, PA (about 30 miles from Pittsburgh).  I have been doing triathlons for 5 years, since I turned 40 and decided to do something exciting in my life!!  I constantly feel like I have so much to learn!  I was never an athletic kid, or adult for that matter, so starting triathlon was a huge deal for me.   I never thought I would enjoy the workouts and the racing, but I can honestly say that I have so much fun when I am a sweaty, stinky mess!

FAMILY STATUS: I have been married to my wonderfully supportive husband Tom for going on 12 years.  We do not have kids, but have a crazy cat named Higgins and a retired greyhound named Magnum.

CURRENT TRAINING: Wow, I guess I have to admit that it is nothing!  I have struggled all year with plantar fasciitis.  It has felt horrible at times and better at times, but has never gone away.  I started following a Jeff Galloway running plan and found that by doing that I could at least finish most of my long runs.  After my last race of the season in October, I started going to physical therapy which I should be finishing soon.  My PTs first instruction to me was no running!  That was hard, but I was allowed to run for 15 minutes on the treadmill this morning.  I never thought I would be so excited about a 15 minute run, but it was great.  Still not totally pain free, but much better!  I have been doing a little biking on the trainer and hitting the pool a few mornings.  When I am actually training, I am anal about posting my workouts, so you will be able to see them soon.  I will be focusing on running until after May, with hopefully 2x/week of biking and swimming.  After my marathon, I will probably be working with a local coach and doing whatever she tells me.  I really like not worrying about what to do when and have relied on my coach to successfully see me through my 2 HIMs.

2012 RACES: I did a half marathon in the spring, a couple of sprints, and the Beach2Battleship Half in October.  There were a few 5ks and 10ks and a charity bike ride thrown in there too.

2013 RACES:  I am hoping for a full marathon in May (my first) if my foot cooperates.  My usual sprints and short running races, and the Beach2Battleship Full (again, my first) in October.

WEIGHTLOSS:  I raced the B2B Half this year as exactly half the person that I used to be!!  That was quite an accomplishment for me and I felt so fit and energized through the entire race.  Since I have not been training, and with the holidays, I have gained some weight back.  My goal is to lose that added weight well before my marathon in May. 

ramiedd - 2012-12-31 10:46 PM Just pulled the plug and registered for the beach to battleship full distance 2013 race....

ME TOO!!  Had to get in before the rates went up.  Let me tell you, I sat here for a while gorging in self-doubt before I actually hit that pay button.  Please tell me that we are not crazy?

My goals for January are pretty simple.  Slowly ease back into running and eat right!

Hope everyone is enjoying the new year!  Now to go back and learn who everybody is.

Karen

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 64