Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2013-02-21 10:20 AM
in reply to: #4630823

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
Subject: RE: JAPEWANG's GROUP - CLOSED

Phaethon - 2013-02-20 6:52 PM Just checking back in. Things have taken a downward trend for me; either I am pushing to hard with my training or it's too much because fatigue has become a factor. Last Sunday body rebelled; mouth didn't say "no" but I swear if I had made an effort to get my stuff together, body would have put the stuff back. On top of that I gave up coffee for Lent; I wanted to give up something significant, you know, that I was really giving up? Oh dear, I certainly did that! So I've had to deal with the withdrawal symptoms; malaise, irritability, muscle aches. Between those two factors and being just plain tired of winter, I am struggling. I ended up taking the rest of last week off and restarting Saturday with the caveat that I would be taking a extra day off Monday into the foreseeable future. I think I really screwed myself up, body feels unwell and I have no spring in my step, not even after all those days off. So to help myself out I'm taking the extra day off, and  minimizing the coffee withdrawal effects by using 5 Hour Energy to supplement caffeine as well as drinking tea. I can hardly wait until Easter gets here, I dream of drinking coffee, lol!

Wow, I could never give up coffee.  Kudos to you.  I think you're right though, it could definitely have an impact on your training.  Hope the recovery time helps and you can get back to it soon!  As your body adjust to not having coffee, that will certainly help. 

2013-02-21 10:26 AM
in reply to: #4631490

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
lalusp - 2013-02-21 9:34 AM

Good on you for giving up coffee. I could NEVER do that. Never. I guess that is why it is a sacrifice!

I have been having a REALLY hard time getting in my 2 workouts since I started working full time. I just can't seem to get out of bed in the morning to get the first one in. And I have to leave for work so early to avoid traffic that I would barely get it in anyway. The positive side of getting in early is I get to leave early enough to go to the gym or hop on my bike for the longer of the 2 workouts I am supposed to do. But I have a feeling I am going to be lacking a little bit. I just can't seem to get the schedule in order to get everything done and still see my kiddos.

On a different note, I found an opportunity to go on a trip to St. George to practice the bike course. It leaves on Friday morning (meaning a vacation day from work) and has a run and swim Friday night, a 56ish mile bike ride then 4-5 mile transition run on Sat and a 20 mile bike with a 13.1 mile run on Sunday before heading home. I am not sure I would be able to do the full 13.1 yet, but at least some of it. I think that getting to ride the bike course would either terrify me or make me feel a little more confident about it. Either way, at least it won't be a brand new course when I get there in May. The trip is the weekend 8 weeks before the race. It is supposed to be my recovery week, but this opportunity sounds too good to pass up. Is this a good idea to go ahead with it?

Also I was wondering if doing an olympic a little less than 3 weeks before the half IM is a good idea? I think it would give me practice taking off a wetsuit in race conditions. Speaking of, where do I start looking for a wetsuit? And what is a decent price range for one?

Thanks! Hope everyone is having a great week!

I have the same problems with morning workouts.  If you find a solution let us know .  Usually its my wife that pushes me out of bed, because I whine later in the day if I don't get up and do it!

Great idea to head up St. George and preview the course.  Should be a fun and looks like you have some real big training for that weekend.  Glad your running is coming along.

As far as an OLY that close to a HIM, it all depends on how you recover.  If that's your last "Big" day prior your taper starting and you know how your body will recover, there's no reason it should hurt your HIM effort.  However if you're worried about it impacting your HIM race, then yous should avoid it.

Wetsuits go to a local shop and try some on.  You need to get the right fit.  I'd plan on spending 200-300 on an entry level suit.

Sounds like its all coming together for you

2013-02-21 10:49 AM
in reply to: #4631597

User image

japewang - 2013-02-21 9:26 AM

Good on you for giving up coffee. I could NEVER do that. Never. I guess that is why it is a sacrifice!

I have been having a REALLY hard time getting in my 2 workouts since I started working full time. I just can't seem to get out of bed in the morning to get the first one in. And I have to leave for work so early to avoid traffic that I would barely get it in anyway. The positive side of getting in early is I get to leave early enough to go to the gym or hop on my bike for the longer of the 2 workouts I am supposed to do. But I have a feeling I am going to be lacking a little bit. I just can't seem to get the schedule in order to get everything done and still see my kiddos.

On a different note, I found an opportunity to go on a trip to St. George to practice the bike course. It leaves on Friday morning (meaning a vacation day from work) and has a run and swim Friday night, a 56ish mile bike ride then 4-5 mile transition run on Sat and a 20 mile bike with a 13.1 mile run on Sunday before heading home. I am not sure I would be able to do the full 13.1 yet, but at least some of it. I think that getting to ride the bike course would either terrify me or make me feel a little more confident about it. Either way, at least it won't be a brand new course when I get there in May. The trip is the weekend 8 weeks before the race. It is supposed to be my recovery week, but this opportunity sounds too good to pass up. Is this a good idea to go ahead with it?

Also I was wondering if doing an olympic a little less than 3 weeks before the half IM is a good idea? I think it would give me practice taking off a wetsuit in race conditions. Speaking of, where do I start looking for a wetsuit? And what is a decent price range for one?

I have the same problems with morning workouts.  If you find a solution let us know .  Usually its my wife that pushes me out of bed, because I whine later in the day if I don't get up and do it!

Great idea to head up St. George and preview the course.  Should be a fun and looks like you have some real big training for that weekend.  Glad your running is coming along.

As far as an OLY that close to a HIM, it all depends on how you recover.  If that's your last "Big" day prior your taper starting and you know how your body will recover, there's no reason it should hurt your HIM effort.  However if you're worried about it impacting your HIM race, then yous should avoid it.

Wetsuits go to a local shop and try some on.  You need to get the right fit.  I'd plan on spending 200-300 on an entry level suit.

I don't know about all coming together. I have felt a little lost this week. The full time job is such a new thing, and I feel guilty about seeing my kids only and hour a day with the afternoon workout. I KNOW I should get up in the morning and get an hour in, I just can't seem to convince myself of that in the morning. haha. I even told my husband to push me out of bed this morning and he didn't hold true to his promise. Well, I guess that tomorrow is another day and another try!

So I have a question about the missed sessions. For example, this week I have missed a 30 min swim and a 30  min run. (Not to mention that I will probably not make the other 30 min swim I am supposed to do today...) I am supposed to have a rest day on Saturday. Do I take the rest day or do I make up the missed swim (just 30 min) & run that day?

I also have a question about reordering the workouts from the plan/schedule. This week is supposed to be the "run intensive week" with next week being the bike (last week was swim). But this weekend is silent Sunday (no cars allowed on the mountain park roads around where I live). Is it ok to switch a hard weekend workout this week and next? Just swap the hard bike and run days?

And good thing I got that full time job, otherwise that wetsuit would be a stretch over my tri-budget!

Thanks!

2013-02-21 11:13 AM
in reply to: #4552962

User image

Veteran
Redding, CA

There is only one shop in my town that carries Tri wetsuits so my local selection was limited to sleeveless suits of one brand.

I ended up buying my wetsuit in January 2012 from wetsuitoutlet .com. They had a good return policy and many good reviews so I felt pretty safe. They also carry many entry level wetsuits for under $200. 

I bought a 2011 Synergy Adrenaline full sleeve for $190. The suit fits me perfectly and I've done 4 sprints (1/2 mile swims) in it in water anywhere from 52 to 70 degrees with no problems.

I've also heard good things about xterra wetsuits. You can get the entry level vortex wetsuit for $170 using the Beginner Triathlete code: BT

2013-02-21 2:43 PM
in reply to: #4631652

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
lalusp - 2013-02-21 10:49 AM

I don't know about all coming together. I have felt a little lost this week. The full time job is such a new thing, and I feel guilty about seeing my kids only and hour a day with the afternoon workout. I KNOW I should get up in the morning and get an hour in, I just can't seem to convince myself of that in the morning. haha. I even told my husband to push me out of bed this morning and he didn't hold true to his promise. Well, I guess that tomorrow is another day and another try!

So I have a question about the missed sessions. For example, this week I have missed a 30 min swim and a 30  min run. (Not to mention that I will probably not make the other 30 min swim I am supposed to do today...) I am supposed to have a rest day on Saturday. Do I take the rest day or do I make up the missed swim (just 30 min) & run that day?

I also have a question about reordering the workouts from the plan/schedule. This week is supposed to be the "run intensive week" with next week being the bike (last week was swim). But this weekend is silent Sunday (no cars allowed on the mountain park roads around where I live). Is it ok to switch a hard weekend workout this week and next? Just swap the hard bike and run days?

And good thing I got that full time job, otherwise that wetsuit would be a stretch over my tri-budget!

Thanks!

You can swap out workouts.  I prefer to think of my training in 10-14 day blocks as opposed to 7 day blocks (weeks).  In regards to missed workouts, be VERY CAREFUL about trying to make them up.  If you're skipping rest days, you're bound to have some over usage injuries or burn out sooner or later.  It all goes back to the fact that there are just no shortcuts in this sport.  You have to hit your workouts on schedule to maximize your performance.

2013-02-22 8:14 AM
in reply to: #4631709

User image

Expert
Alabama
JonnyVero - 2013-02-21 11:13 AM

There is only one shop in my town that carries Tri wetsuits so my local selection was limited to sleeveless suits of one brand.

I ended up buying my wetsuit in January 2012 from wetsuitoutlet .com. They had a good return policy and many good reviews so I felt pretty safe. They also carry many entry level wetsuits for under $200. 

I bought a 2011 Synergy Adrenaline full sleeve for $190. The suit fits me perfectly and I've done 4 sprints (1/2 mile swims) in it in water anywhere from 52 to 70 degrees with no problems.

I've also heard good things about xterra wetsuits. You can get the entry level vortex wetsuit for $170 using the Beginner Triathlete code: BT

I bought the Xterra wetsuit through BT, and was happy with it.  I've only done a couple of races in it, but it worked well.

2013-02-22 5:25 PM

User image

Regular
Ocala, FL

Sorry I haven't been on in a while, looks like everybody is in full swing.  Holy wow, now I know what a swim breakthrough feels like.  A tri buddy of mine suggested I try a different breathing pattern...... read "breathe more"........ that was in a recent article in Triathlete.  I experimented a bit with it then today I got to it.  I swam a longer workout than I usually do, but not only that, I felt like I wanted to start the next interval as opposed to trying to survive the next interval.  Wow, what a difference.  I felt more motivated, my form was better (still got sloppy at the end, but I was pushing hard for more than I'm used to).  It's a totally new look on things.  It's amazing what your body can do when there's oxygen in your bloodstream.

First race is 1 month out!

I picked up a wetsuit late last year when the online stores where giving closeout deals.  Got a nice suit for $125 from trisports.  Fits great, although I'm fighting to get my legs out of the darn thing.  I'm putting it on and taking it off at home, first swim in it is next week.  For some reason it seems like the legs get all bundled up after I pull the suit down off of my hips.  I end up with a huge wad of rolled up material at my ankles that is difficult to pass my feet.  Help?

2013-02-23 11:11 PM
in reply to: #4633760

User image

Veteran
Redding, CA

Fokker416 - 2013-02-22 3:25 PM

Sorry I haven't been on in a while, looks like everybody is in full swing.  Holy wow, now I know what a swim breakthrough feels like.  A tri buddy of mine suggested I try a different breathing pattern...... read "breathe more"........ that was in a recent article in Triathlete.  I experimented a bit with it then today I got to it.  I swam a longer workout than I usually do, but not only that, I felt like I wanted to start the next interval as opposed to trying to survive the next interval.  Wow, what a difference.  I felt more motivated, my form was better (still got sloppy at the end, but I was pushing hard for more than I'm used to).  It's a totally new look on things.  It's amazing what your body can do when there's oxygen in your bloodstream.

First race is 1 month out!

I picked up a wetsuit late last year when the online stores where giving closeout deals.  Got a nice suit for $125 from trisports.  Fits great, although I'm fighting to get my legs out of the darn thing.  I'm putting it on and taking it off at home, first swim in it is next week.  For some reason it seems like the legs get all bundled up after I pull the suit down off of my hips.  I end up with a huge wad of rolled up material at my ankles that is difficult to pass my feet.  Help?

Congrats on the swim breakthrough, that sounds fantastic.

When removing my wetsuit in transition I follow pretty much what the guy in this video does:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua2AmtWVSCw

to get the suit off my legs though I typically step on one side and pull up with the other leg. As the suit comes further off I sometimes have to step closer to my foot to get that last bit off. It takes a little practice.

2013-02-24 11:38 AM

Ran outdoors this morning for the first time this year. First I was injured, then the weather was really, really bad - like dangerous winds or snow or sleet and rain. But it was sunny this morning, so off I went.

Not as long as I'd like - only about 45 minutes - but didn't have any foot pain, so I think I'm past my injury.

2013-02-25 11:34 AM

User image

Regular
Ocala, FL
Thanks for the video link.  Looking at that video and others I think my error is that I'm not peeling the suit off, but pushing it off so it's not turning inside out as it comes off.  I think that's why I'm putting it into bunches.  Practice, practice, practice.
2013-02-25 3:27 PM

User image

Had a great bike ride yesterday. Went out to South Mountain for Silent Sunday (no cars on the mountain roads) and biked the rolling hills and steep mountain roads twice each. It took me 3 hours 10 minutes to do the 40 miles, and it was SUPER windy. But I hear that is good practice for St. George, since it has been windy in the past there. Coming down the steep climb was terrifying, especially in the strong winds. But I did it, and turned around once I got to the bottom and did it again. I have no idea how people do that with cars on the roads too!

It felt great (and awful) at the same time. I really enjoyed my ride yesterday. Of course, I couldn't get out of bed this morning to get to the pool. But that somehow doesn't surprise me. I am going to have to rearrange my training schedule to get the rest days always during the week, and the longer workouts always on Sat/Sun. I think it is going to take some work to adjust things around.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

2013-02-26 9:42 AM

User image

Finally got out of bed early this morning at 4:40! and went on a bike ride. It was awful. It was freezing and my toes were absolutely numb. I could barely clip out at red lights! It is too bad it was so awful because it is going to be harder to convince myself that I should do it again tomorrow...

I need some suggestions on what to eat before an early morning workout. I need something quick, so I don't have to get up any earlier than I did this morning. But it needs to be "digestable" while I work out since I will be heading out to swim, bike or run quickly after eating. And on that note, what do you guys eat on race morning (so a little more time between eating and starting the race)?

Also, I was wondering what a good nutrition strategy is for the HIM. Any suggestions? I have been using Gu on my longer rides. But really don't use anything on workouts shorter than 90 minutes.

Thanks for your input!

2013-02-26 4:07 PM
in reply to: #4634900

New user

Airdrie, Scotland

That was me yesterday. My first run in three weeks trying to cure a calf strain. Pleased to say it felt ok even if it was only a VERY slow 2 miles on grass.

Onwards and upwards for you and I ! Smile

2013-02-26 4:09 PM
in reply to: #4634900

New user

Airdrie, Scotland
RZ0 - 2013-02-24 5:38 PM

Ran outdoors this morning for the first time this year. First I was injured, then the weather was really, really bad - like dangerous winds or snow or sleet and rain. But it was sunny this morning, so off I went.

Not as long as I'd like - only about 45 minutes - but didn't have any foot pain, so I think I'm past my injury.

That was me yesterday. My first run in three weeks trying to cure a calf strain. Pleased to say it felt ok even if it was only a VERY slow 2 miles on grass.

2013-02-26 4:14 PM
in reply to: #4632082

New user

Airdrie, Scotland
japewang - 2013-02-21 8:43 PM
lalusp - 2013-02-21 10:49 AM

Thanks!

You can swap out workouts.  I prefer to think of my training in 10-14 day blocks as opposed to 7 day blocks (weeks).  In regards to missed workouts, be VERY CAREFUL about trying to make them up.  If you're skipping rest days, you're bound to have some over usage injuries or burn out sooner or later.  It all goes back to the fact that there are just no shortcuts in this sport.  You have to hit your workouts on schedule to maximize your performance.

Just a thought on your wetsuit issue. There is a specialist tri/sports shop near me that allows you to hire a suit for the season with the option to buy it later. A useful way to save some cash and make sure you like the suit before committing. Might be worth phoning round your local suppliers.

2013-02-26 4:36 PM
in reply to: #4637365

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
lalusp - 2013-02-26 9:42 AM

Finally got out of bed early this morning at 4:40! and went on a bike ride. It was awful. It was freezing and my toes were absolutely numb. I could barely clip out at red lights! It is too bad it was so awful because it is going to be harder to convince myself that I should do it again tomorrow...

I need some suggestions on what to eat before an early morning workout. I need something quick, so I don't have to get up any earlier than I did this morning. But it needs to be "digestable" while I work out since I will be heading out to swim, bike or run quickly after eating. And on that note, what do you guys eat on race morning (so a little more time between eating and starting the race)?

Also, I was wondering what a good nutrition strategy is for the HIM. Any suggestions? I have been using Gu on my longer rides. But really don't use anything on workouts shorter than 90 minutes.

Thanks for your input!

Nutrition for HIM can be highly individualized.  I go with a combination of GU and Accelerade on the bike and Gu, Chomps, and water on the run.

When I have an AM workout I usually fuel with just GU and Accelerade beforehand to get something in the belly.

Race mornings I always get up early enough to have some oatmeal with fruit and peanut butter and coffee.  Down a gu right before I get in the water.

2013-02-26 4:37 PM
in reply to: #4638014

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
Clairaig - 2013-02-26 4:09 PM
RZ0 - 2013-02-24 5:38 PM

Great!  Glad you're both back in the saddle!

2013-02-26 4:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Redding, CA

Laura, it's great you were able to take on that fear of the downhill not just once but twice! That should help your confidence preparing for the race at St. George.

Having only done sprints myself, I really haven't worked out a race nutrition plan before.I have been tang a Gu pack with me and taking it during my longer runs (anything over 6 miles). I'll probably take 2 during the half marathon in May.

I usually have a scoop of sunbutter (like peanut butter made from sunflower seeds) for breakfast before a race and a banana or my old standby breakfast of an instant breakfast mix in a cup of milk.

Tony, Glad you've been able to rest the calf strain and let it heal enough to resume running. Go easy on it and build back up slowly. You don't want to rush building miles and risk re-injury.

I'm on a taper week before the 10 mile run race this Saturday. It will be my longest race to date and I'm really looking forward to it. Yesterday I did some shorter run intervals and Saturday I did a nice easy paced 6.8 mile run. I haven't been to the pool in a couple of weeks and my bike is still collecting dust. Next week I'm hoping to hit the pool and put some easy miles in on the bike.

2013-02-27 12:07 PM

User image

So I am looking to get myself a gift for starting work. (Nice of myself, right?) I have been using MTB SPD shoes and pedals for the last 5-7 years. I originally bought the MTB shoes because all I was doing was spin classes, and you needed SPD clips for those bikes. When I got my bike, I just assumed the best option was to put SPD pedals on it and off I went.

But, now I am reading that the SPD/MTB shoes aren't the greatest for triathlons, especially in climbing. So, my question is, is this true? Or is it the shop/s trying to sell me new shoes and pedals? Does the added weight matter, does the smaller SPD pedal make a difference, etc?

And if so, what type of pedals, clips and shoes do you recommend? I am at a loss here. I have never looked (always just used what I had) and I guess that I want to have some direction before I start going shopping (especially seeing as time is at a premium these days!) While it is a gift to myself, this is my first paycheck, so I am not looking to break the (newly minted) bank!

Thanks!

2013-02-27 9:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Redding, CA

I use SPD pedals too. I originally chose them because I have both a mountain bike and road bike and I couldn't really justify buying different shoes to use with each bike.

I've been on some decent climbs of a mile or more and never had an issue with them on my road bike. I've also heard they weren't that good for triathlon, and maybe my races have been too short to experience whatever problems they cause.

Maybe others with longer races under their belt will have advice on what pedals to choose. Congrats on that first paycheck coming though!

2013-02-28 8:30 AM

User image

Harare

Hey all,

Just checking in as the weekend approaches. Hope everyone has some fun planned (at least in the triathlete sense of the word) .

I feel like my HIM training is now in full force, and I'm feeling great. A 2000m swim workout that would have killed me a couple months ago is now a recovery day. I did my longest bike ride ever last week (70 km) and felt like I could have easily pushed the extra 20 kms to the race distance, even with some major hills. My only real concern about the run has been that my patellar tendonitis would flare up, and so far I've been keeping up my mileage with no problems (knock on wood). Getting up at 4:30 to train isn't even as hard as I thought.

I've got a long swim and a 50K group ride scheduled for the weekend, and then my Dad comes to visit for a week, so I'll probably take it a little easy to be able to entertain him. I know it's still early and my wife would kill me if I said it, but for the first time in my life a full IM seems like something I could see myself doing (2015 maybe??).

Just thought I'd share my enthusiasm.

-Dan

2013-02-28 12:29 PM
in reply to: #4640200

User image

Danielfberlin - 2013-02-28 7:30 AM

Hey all,

Just checking in as the weekend approaches. Hope everyone has some fun planned (at least in the triathlete sense of the word) .

I feel like my HIM training is now in full force, and I'm feeling great. A 2000m swim workout that would have killed me a couple months ago is now a recovery day. I did my longest bike ride ever last week (70 km) and felt like I could have easily pushed the extra 20 kms to the race distance, even with some major hills. My only real concern about the run has been that my patellar tendonitis would flare up, and so far I've been keeping up my mileage with no problems (knock on wood). Getting up at 4:30 to train isn't even as hard as I thought.

I've got a long swim and a 50K group ride scheduled for the weekend, and then my Dad comes to visit for a week, so I'll probably take it a little easy to be able to entertain him. I know it's still early and my wife would kill me if I said it, but for the first time in my life a full IM seems like something I could see myself doing (2015 maybe??).

-Dan

I'm glad you don't think 4:30 is hard. I am on day 3 of it and I almost passed out this morning in the shower after my swim workout. I am having a hard time juggling it all. But at least I am getting out of bed in the morning now! Better than last week was! I am excited for you that you feel so great about your training. I have hit a motivational slump, so send some of those good vibes my way! At least I am getting my 2 a days in this week (so better than last). But I am dragging. My 20 mile bike ride the other day felt like 40. I had a hard time keeping those pedals moving! And worse yet, my gym is closing for 2 weeks (next 2 weeks!) for refurbishment, so I am not sure how I am going to get my swims in! UGH!

Good luck this weekend to everyone! I have another bike hills route planned and my longest run yet, 90 minutes. I had a question about run training, my plan has my longest run time at 2 hours. Even without swimming and biking first, I would not be able to cover 13.1 miles in that time. Is the plan assuming that I am faster? Or does it just not matter that I get to the full 13.1 in training? What is your suggestion?

Thanks!

2013-02-28 12:46 PM
in reply to: #4640200

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
Danielfberlin - 2013-02-28 8:30 AM

Hey all,

-Dan

Awesome work!  It's feels so good when you look at how far you've come in training.  Kudos and keep up the good work!

2013-03-01 12:13 AM
in reply to: #4640608

User image

Harare

"I'm glad you don't think 4:30 is hard."

A lot of it has to do with the fact that we've got a 2 1/2 year old who hasn't slept past 5:45 more than two or three times in his life. Lately he's been waking up around 4:15, so I go into his room, get him back to sleep, and then lace up my running shoes.

Sending good vibes your way... I think motivation comes in waves and troughs, so just push through the low point and I'm sure you'll be sailing high again in a week or two.

2013-03-01 5:47 AM

February is over!

Amazing how the shortest month feels soooo long.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JAPEWANG's GROUP - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 9