BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guy/Girls Tri--Masters Sprint/Olympic Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 37

2013-05-14 4:55 PM
in reply to: #4742306

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: RE: Gray Guy/Girls Tri--Masters Sprint/Olympic Mentor Group Open

luv2bhealthy - 2013-05-15 1:17 AM I really need to get back on track with my training.  I just completed my first Oly on 4/28.  My next one is quickly approaching on May 26.  The training slacked.  I know I can do it, but I sure don't feel ready!

What are your goals for the race on the 26th?  "A" race or just a training event?

Steve

2013-05-14 5:03 PM
in reply to: #4741110

User image

Regular
cathyd - 2013-05-14 10:16 AM

Bio as promised:

Name: Cathy

I think  this group will be a good fit for me and look forward to getting to know everyone.

Good stuff Cathy.  Thanks for posting and welcome to the group.  Pretty tough to train like you want without a pool, but if you can at least get in extra run/bike workouts in place of swimming you can perhaps bank some time in those sports.  But I'll bet if you can find your routine to dial in the training, the weight you're looking to drop will start coming off.

2013-05-14 6:31 PM
in reply to: #4742490

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
lutzman - 2013-05-14 4:55 PM

luv2bhealthy - 2013-05-15 1:17 AM I really need to get back on track with my training.  I just completed my first Oly on 4/28.  My next one is quickly approaching on May 26.  The training slacked.  I know I can do it, but I sure don't feel ready!

What are your goals for the race on the 26th?  "A" race or just a training event?

Steve

I don't ever have "A" races because I can never get in enough training Embarassed to make them "A" races.  So, I guess this will be another training event, and I will continue to train through the summer and maybe pick out another Oly that I can call my "A" race.

2013-05-14 8:31 PM
in reply to: #4740944

User image

New user

For me, numb hands has been the result of my seat being too high.  Even the slightest raise in my seat can do it.  Last year my hands started going numb mid season and I went back to the person that does my bike fit.  Still don't know how or when it was raised, but after lowering slightly, hands stopped going numb. 

2013-05-14 8:34 PM
in reply to: #4742367

User image

New user
wow, that is impressive. 
2013-05-14 9:03 PM
in reply to: #4724413

User image

Expert
Ontario

Question for the group :  Some of you have private logs and some don't log on BT... do you log your workouts somewhere else, have you tried the BT logs but prefer another way to log?   I love the BT logs and have logged every workout since Dec 2006.

Where do you log your workouts?

2013-05-14 11:06 PM
in reply to: #4742790

User image

Regular
cathyd - 2013-05-15 7:03 AM

Question for the group :  Some of you have private logs and some don't log on BT... do you log your workouts somewhere else, have you tried the BT logs but prefer another way to log?   I love the BT logs and have logged every workout since Dec 2006.

I've been putting mine on workoutlog.com for the last years and trainingpeaks.com prior to that.  I'm trying to use BT more since we have the mentor group going.

Steve

2013-05-15 6:20 AM

User image

Regular
North Carolina
I use map my fitness.
2013-05-15 12:57 PM
in reply to: #4741112

User image

Regular
weight 136. ....I needa size medium tri suit if anyone knows anyone selling. not all black please I live in Texas its hot. 
2013-05-15 3:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas

Spin class yesterday morning and an hour in the pool today!  That makes me happy!

As far as logging is concerned, I really hate to log anything.  I very bad at it.  I use the map my apps for run and bike.  I'll have to check out the fitness one so I can consolidate. 

2013-05-15 3:26 PM
in reply to: #4743866

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas

dustytrails - 2013-05-15 12:57 PM weight 136. ....I needa size medium tri suit if anyone knows anyone selling. not all black please I live in Texas its hot. 

What area of Texas do you live?

2013-05-15 5:34 PM
in reply to: #4743866

User image

Regular

dustytrails - 2013-05-15 10:57 PM weight 136. ....I needa size medium tri suit if anyone knows anyone selling. not all black please I live in Texas its hot. 

I might have one.  I have a brand new 2XU tri suit that I got at Christmas and never got around to returning....so I still have it.  It's never been worn and the tags are still attached.  I was going to take it back because it's just a little tight on my  (+/-160 lbs).  At this point, I'd let it go for half price.  However, the color is Navy, so that might be a deal breaker for you. 

I'm in San Diego until Friday.  When I get home I'll get the details and shoot you a message.

Steve

2013-05-16 1:33 AM

User image

New user
cathyd - 2013-05-14 9:03 PM

Cathy, I post my training workouts on BT logs and just changed my settings to not be private.  But reading my training log should come with a WARNING, most of the time I do not follow a plan and just go with what feels right...and I am an exercise junky.  I train with family and friends and unless I am training for an "A" race, I just do what everyone else is doing.

2013-05-16 7:31 AM
in reply to: #4744739

User image

Regular
North Carolina
Kay Ewing - 2013-05-16 2:33 AM

Cathy, I post my training workouts on BT logs and just changed my settings to not be private.  But reading my training log should come with a WARNING, most of the time I do not follow a plan and just go with what feels right...and I am an exercise junky.  I train with family and friends and unless I am training for an "A" race, I just do what everyone else is doing.

Hey, you copied my training plan. LOL. That's how I do it, I squeeze in what I can when I can between family, work and other commitments. Sometimes start out to do a 20 mile bike ride end up doing 50 or more.
2013-05-16 11:11 AM
in reply to: #4744866

User image

Expert
Ontario
Bull - 2013-05-16 8:31 AM
Kay Ewing - 2013-05-16 2:33 AM

Hey, you copied my training plan. LOL. That's how I do it, I squeeze in what I can when I can between family, work and other commitments. Sometimes start out to do a 20 mile bike ride end up doing 50 or more.
That's what I do too, although I like to make up fancy training plans I usually end up winging it, depending a lot on the weather. If it's nice out I'm on my bike.
2013-05-16 12:07 PM
in reply to: #4744739

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Kay Ewing - 2013-05-16 1:33 AM

OK, this is me as well!  Yay!  Glad there are others on here just like that.  Perfect group for me.  That's why I am so slow with triathlon.  I do too many other things.  Lol

2013-05-16 6:23 PM
in reply to: #4742937

User image

New user

Michigan
lutzman - 2013-05-15 12:06 AM
cathyd - 2013-05-15 7:03 AM

I've been putting mine on workoutlog.com for the last years and trainingpeaks.com prior to that.  I'm trying to use BT more since we have the mentor group going.

Steve

I log mine on BT, I did try TP but, at time, found I was not using all the bells and whistles. BT suits me fine.

2013-05-16 8:31 PM

User image

I'm still working at my swimming.  I did some 50 metre swims in the middle of the hour and averaged 70 seconds.  I was panting pretty strongly after each one.  A bit later I was doing some lengths with a pull buoy (no kicking at all) and decided to time myself.  It was also 70 seconds and I wasn't panting and puffing at all.  This says to me that my kicking technique must be terrible.  Is that an accurate read?
2013-05-16 8:46 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Hey Steve, if it isn’t too late, I would love to join your group.

NAME:  Scott K.

BIO: 

54 Y.O. (55 in June) Male, married, 2 "little ones," 5 grand-kids (would've had the grand-kids first if we'd known how much fun they are!)

STORY: 

I started swimming competitively when I was 11 and swam all through high-school and college.  I was a world class swimmer in the late 70's and early 80's.  I held a world record at one point, albeit for about 20 minutes, but it was a world record nonetheless (I set the record in a semi-final and it was broken in the next semi-final).  Back in those days, an amateur was an amateur so as a swimmer, unless you were independently wealthy, you really only had one shot at the Olympics.  After the 1980 U.S. Olympic debacle my swimming career began to wind down and in 1982 I finally retired from competitive swimming.  That was, coincidentally, the same year my Ironman dream started.  I suspect that many of you can trace the genesis of your own Ironman dreams to the same moment - Julie Moss on her hands and knees, crawling across the finish line in Kona.  In my mind, that was, and continues to be, the epitome of athletic achievement.  I immediately knew I wanted to do an Ironman.  However, the sad reality was that I had spent 5-8 hours a day in a pool, seven days a week, 365 days a year, for over a decade, and the thought of going back to full time training was not very appealing.  On top of that, I had another problem - running and I had never really been friends.  The Ironman has that little marathon thing at the end and that simply terrified me.  A couple decades later, I found myself over one-hundred pounds overweight, and I couldn't run 100 yards, let alone a marathon.  Although I didn't move to fulfill my Ironman dream, I did tell anyone who would listen that, "I could do an Ironman."  Then a couple years ago, I went to a client's house and there on the wall of his home office was a picture of him crossing the finish line in Kona.  Of course, my first comment was, "I could have done that!"  After a year of him hearing about how I could have done that, he finally called me out in May 2012.  He basically said, "Your going to go to your grave saying you could have done it, or you can do it."  He then challenged me to join him at the Ironman World Championships in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii on October 11, 2014.  After a grueling two weeks of researching everything Ironman, including how to qualify for Kona, I finally accepted his challenge.

GOALS: 

1. Ironman World Championships - Kailua-Kona, Hawaii - October 14, 2014

WEIGHT-LOSS:

1. Started a weight loss program in May, 2012.  Was at 297.6 pounds when I started.  Graduated high-school at 180 pounds, college at 200 pounds.  Want to get down to that range.  Target is 200.  I have lost roughly 60 pounds so far.  Started out using the Atkins diet plan and have modified that as I started training.

GETTING OLD SUCKS:

For all of my 54 years I have been the picture of health.  Until September of 2012 that is.  10 days in the hospital behind peritonitis and emergency Gall-Bladder surgery introduced me to the not so pleasant side of aging.  Ironically, the doctors said that the Gall Bladder was most likely a result of too much weight lost too quickly.  Who knew?

In February, I got to spend another 6 days in the hospital after I refused to acknowledge I had developed a cold and it turned into pneumonia - yeah, my wife is reminding me with "I told you so's" on a weekly basis.  Then finally, at the end of March, I was diagnosed with a Deep Vein Thrombosis (a blood in my right leg), probably as a result of being in the hospital with pneumonia.  Because I had a history of DVT the quack, I mean the doctor, insisted I be hospitalized while I was started on anti-coagulation therapy.  Never mind that there are medications that can be administered at home for that.  At any rate, that was another 8 days in the hospital.  I am done with hospitals!  Finally started back on my training plan last week and hoping there will be no more interruptions!

RACES: 

1. I have done ZERO triathlons or running events.
  2. Was entered in the Indy-500 Festival Half-Marathon in May but had to cancel because of the DVT.
  3. Entered in the Muncie Sprint Triathlon in June.
  4. Entered in the Evergreen Lake Sprint Triathlon in July.
  5. Hope to do a couple 5K’s and a Half-Iron before the end of the year depending upon how training goes after the forced lay-off.
  6. Previous:  Well in excess of 1,000 swimming races back in the 70's and 80's

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MEMBER:

Having competed at a world class level for several years, I vividly recall the pressure and nerves you experience at a high level competition.  Plus I have a pretty good understanding of swimming and proper technique.  That is experience I look forward to sharing with anyone interested.

I may not be the most competitive person you have ever met, but I will settle for being the second most competitive person you have ever met.

I have this theory, if you aren't going to be the best you can be, why try at all?  That theory tends to be contagious and will spur others to higher achievement. 

Most importantly, I know my limitations.  I know I have returned to training after a very long "retirement."  I know that I am no longer the 20-something world class athlete of the past (I acknowledge my body is older, but beyond that, I think being a world class athlete is largely a state of mind).  I know training techniques have changed dramatically in the past decades and I know there are many people here with far more knowledge than I have.  I anxiously look forward to hearing their expertise.

2013-05-16 10:37 PM
in reply to: #4746212

User image

New user

b2run - 2013-05-16 8:31 PM I'm still working at my swimming.  I did some 50 metre swims in the middle of the hour and averaged 70 seconds.  I was panting pretty strongly after each one.  A bit later I was doing some lengths with a pull buoy (no kicking at all) and decided to time myself.  It was also 70 seconds and I wasn't panting and puffing at all.  This says to me that my kicking technique must be terrible.  Is that an accurate read?

There is probably nothing wrong with your kick, but your swim stroke may be relying on the kick instead of the glide and smooth/strong arm strokes. The fact that you find success when using the pull buoy leads me to believe you have decent arm stroke technique that glides.  When doing your next 50's, ease off the kick and think "strong stroke". 

www.feelforthewater.com 

I found this web site benificial in describing the different types of swimmers.  The Hard Kicker is a type of swimmer it describes and gives good advice on swim kicks that don't wear you down.  I too was a Kicker, that turned into a Glider.  So now I am working to correct that.  It just never ends.

2013-05-17 9:34 AM
in reply to: #4746231

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Scott, welcome and what a great background. I hope your Kona dream comes true! It seems that you have what it takes to succeed.

2013-05-17 3:10 PM
in reply to: luv2bhealthy

User image

Regular
HOLY CR2@P Scot welcome to the group.

I live in central texas and um...Thx for offer of half price suit but I think its gonna b too big.

Tryin decide....bike shorts or tri suit. Cant do both. As far as bike shorts ...kinna pad thick or thin??

I only ride about fifteen miles at a shot. Have awesome Adamo road race seat.

Im selling a sz small blue/silver tri suit if u know anyone interested. 40 bucks give or take. its new i never wore it.
2013-05-17 4:00 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Regular
Originally posted by k9car363

Hey Steve, if it isn’t too late, I would love to join your group.

NAME:  Scott K.

BIO: 

54 Y.O. (55 in June) I anxiously look forward to hearing their expertise.

Hey Scott:

Welcome to the group. We're glad to have you. We've got a great group of boomer triathletes with experience in many aspects of triathlon...from getting started to racing. So, don't hesitate to ask questions. I'll try to answer and I'm sure you'll get feedback from others as well.

You should have a great foundation for success. From my experience, swimmers seem to rise to the top in this sport, at least for us age groupers. I guess its' just hard for those of us without a swimming background to master the technique, so we lose a lot of time right out of the gate. You shouldn't have that issue and you'll be able to focus your training on developing good bike/run skills.

So, if you'll indulge me, I'll give you stream of thought on a few of the topics you listed in your introduction.

Since you're totally new to the sport, you'll have a steep learning curve. Don't be worried about that, but just be prepared that there is a lot to learn. I'm only in my 3rd year of triathlon after spending decades as a competitive age group runner. The good news is I was pleased at how quickly I could begin performing at a decent level in triathlon (top 10% in age group) and my guess is you can, too. The challenge is that the top 3-5% of age groupers (nationally) are just really, really good. So be ready as multi-sport has a set of challenges that are quite unique.

Based on the goals you listed, to get a Kona invitation you'll probably have to finish in the top three in your age group in a qualifying Ironman event.
If you turn 54 this year, you'll age up next year, so you can look back at the 55-59 age group results in other Ironman races to get a general idea of the types of performances you'll need to finish on the age grouper podium and earn the Kona qualifying invitation.

Just looking at a couple races, it looks like to be among the top finishers for 55+, you'll need to have a swim time of about 1:10 (1:40 per 100 yards), 5:30 on the bike (a little over 20 mph) and 3:45 on the marathon (about 8:40 per mile). Challenging to say the least. So, as you begin to lay out your training plans and evaluate the results from your races, you have a general idea of the performance standards you'll need to hit.

I don't do IM events, so I can't advise you on training, but perhaps some of the other members can. From what I've read, you'll need to have the ability to put in 15-20 hours per week. I do about 8-10 hours a week for Oly/Sprint event training and I can tell you it is a challenge. Prepare yourself for very long training hours on Saturdays and Sundays.

You mentioned that you've signed up for a couple of sprint races. Sprint racing is quite a bit different than either HIM or IM. Since it's a short race, people just go all out vs. the HIM or IM which requires a more sustained output. For example, in a sprint race in the 55+ age group, running paces of 6:45/mile are pretty common vs. the 8:40 pace referenced above in IM events. These are very different races from longer distance. So, I wouldn't read too much into your results in June other than looking for feedback on your short distance race paces and overall feel as you put the three events together--one on top of the other--on race day. Racing feels very different from training and if you haven't read up on "brick" workouts" that would be a good homework assignment.

Weight control for you will be a key factor. At 200 lbs you are a big man for a long distance triathlete. That's not to say you can't do it, but be aware that the top 55+ age groupers you'll be fighting for the Kona spots are likely to be under 170 lbs. That won't matter as much on the swim, but on the bike and especially the run, more weight generally equals slower times as the people you're up against carry a smaller mass. I've pretty much learned in my short couple of years in triathlon that unless a big guy puts a bunch of time on me in the swim and bike, I've got a great chance to catch him on the run as I'm only carrying about 160 pounds on my frame.

If you want more information on qualifying for Kona, go to slowtwitch.com. Click on the "forums" link and enter a search term like Kona or Kona qualifying. You'll find all sorts of good information on a bunch of related topics.

One other suggestion: If you're going to be doing a multiple races, I suggest buying an annual membership to USA Triathlon. It costs about $45 bucks a year. If you don't have the annual membership then you'll typically be required to pay about $15 for a one day membership in any sanctioned event. The annual membership allows you to be ranked nationally once you've completed three sanctioned races. The ranking system is very cool and I've found it to be quite predictive of relative performance levels. It works sort of like a golf handicap and allows you to put your performance capabilities side by side with other age group athletes. You can read up on it on the USAT website. If you're going to race much, you'll be money ahead with the annual membership versus daily memberships.

Good luck with your training and let me know if you have other questions.

Steve

2013-05-17 5:22 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Expert
Ontario
Welcome Scott, and great reply above Steve.

So what are your plans for the weekend? It's a long weekend here in Canada, typically referred to as May two/four weekend. I'm doing a group ride Saturday with the local bike group I joined, about 40 miles planned though I think I will add a bit more at the end.
Sunday taking the granddaughters to a petting zoo and the rest of the weekend cleaning up the flower beds. I'll probably do short ride or run Sun and Mon.
2013-05-17 8:55 PM
in reply to: cathyd

User image

Regular
Originally posted by cathyd

Welcome Scott, and great reply above Steve.

So what are your plans for the weekend? It's a long weekend here in Canada, typically referred to as May two/four weekend. I'm doing a group ride Saturday with the local bike group I joined, about 40 miles planned though I think I will add a bit more at the end.
Sunday taking the granddaughters to a petting zoo and the rest of the weekend cleaning up the flower beds. I'll probably do short ride or run Sun and Mon.

I'll try to get a solid weekend in...especially since I was travelling last weekend and so my workouts were pretty puny. So, the plan for me is a long, easy run on Saturday (11 miles) and a long bike ride (three hours or so) on Sunday.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Steve
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guy/Girls Tri--Masters Sprint/Olympic Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 37