BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2014-01-06 8:11 AM
in reply to: KWDreamun

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Subject: RE: BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - CLOSED
Originally posted by KWDreamun

Talking about swimming, I'm learning to bi-lagteral breathe..why do I get so tired...it is kicking my butt... however when I go back to breathing on 1 side, I see how inefficient (out of balance) I am..however most competitors that are placing breathe to 1 side..see I'm confused too!

Karl I missed this......

I am a big fan of bilateral breathing. I train and race breathing in this fashion. Oh Yeh just a heads up this subject can be quite controversial. Not as bad as flip turns. Changing to a bilateral breathing technique can take several weeks for most. Breathing is usually done every 3, 5 or 7 strokes counting each arm. Technically if you change reading from one side to the other that's bilateral breathing. One of the biggest hurdles in swimming is not exhaling fully, this can be compounded with bilateral stroke.

There are many advantages of bilateral breathing.

1. Developing a Symmetrical stroke. - This is a balance stroke from left to right but also fore and aft. This can also help correct a crossover stroke. As we swim we will tend to pull harder on the non breathing side.

2. Once mastered better breathing control. - Bilateral breathing gives you a option via alternating breathing sides. This is really only truly effective if full exhales occur.

3. Can produce a faster swim stroke. - Bilateral breathing will help your body roll thus a longer reach = more catch = more pulling force, which will increase speed if you display a proper body position and coordinated kick.

4. Better sighting in ows. - Well If you develop a balance stroke you will swim straighter. It also gives you the option to sight left or right via shore line.

2014-01-06 8:11 AM
in reply to: tedjohn

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by tedjohn
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Question(s) for the group:

What's your favorite sport of the three?  Is it different each year or does it stay consistent over time?

Coming from a running background, I'd guess that's still probably my favorite of the three. It's simple and easy to get ready to do. This past summer I really enjoyed cycling more and felt like something finally "clicked" on the bike. Swimming is probably still my least favorite although I really enjoy the OWS. Unfortunately, the nearest place to OWS train is about 2 hours away, so I don't get to do that much!

We looked at relocating to Boulder this summer for a job opportunity, but the lack of any big water (and NO salt) kinda killed it for me.    I will tell you that I really did love running on my couple trips out there to talk with the team, though.  For run/bike, it's a little slice of heaven!

Matt

2014-01-06 8:17 AM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by BrotherTri
Originally posted by KWDreamun Talking about swimming, I'm learning to bi-lagteral breathe..why do I get so tired...it is kicking my butt... however when I go back to breathing on 1 side, I see how inefficient (out of balance) I am..however most competitors that are placing breathe to 1 side..see I'm confused too!
Karl I missed this...... I am a big fan of bilateral breathing. I train and race breathing in this fashion. Oh Yeh just a heads up this subject can be quite controversial. Not as bad as flip turns. Changing to a bilateral breathing technique can take several weeks for most. Breathing is usually done every 3, 5 or 7 strokes counting each arm. Technically if you change reading from one side to the other that's bilateral breathing. One of the biggest hurdles in swimming is not exhaling fully, this can be compounded with bilateral stroke. There are many advantages of bilateral breathing. 1. Developing a Symmetrical stroke. - This is a balance stroke from left to right but also fore and aft. This can also help correct a crossover stroke. As we swim we will tend to pull harder on the non breathing side. 2. Once mastered better breathing control. - Bilateral breathing gives you a option via alternating breathing sides. This is really only truly effective if full exhales occur. 3. Can produce a faster swim stroke. - Bilateral breathing will help your body roll thus a longer reach = more catch = more pulling force, which will increase speed if you display a proper body position and coordinated kick. 4. Better sighting in ows. - Well If you develop a balance stroke you will swim straighter. It also gives you the option to sight left or right via shore line.

Agree with the bilateral breathing being a plus for many reasons.

Another associated with sighting is being able to draft off someone to your left or right.  A couple times I've been drafting off one side of a person on their hip and was passed on the other side.  Just changed sides I was breathing to, hopped on their hip and went with them.

Yet another is for wave direction in OWS.  There have been times I've been swimming - and in ponds, too, not just the ocean - and the chop was such that it's difficult to breathe to one side.  Being able to breathe the other direction is a BIG help there.

Once I get really rolling in a race, I'm pretty much breathing every stroke.  But, I'll switch sides every dozen or so (unless there's a reason not to, as above) to keep it balanced.

James, why do you say it's harder to exhale fully when breathing bilaterally?

Matt

2014-01-06 8:37 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
I don't know but when I bi-lateral, in about 75 yards I'm gasping for air. I breather every stroke to the 1 side and now bi-lateral it is every 3rd stroke so I'm getting less air. Is that a possibility? Maybe I'm not relaxed yet, pushing down in the water to get up to breathe is a possibility but I'm working my rear of on it. My master's swim is canceled today and tomorrow due to weather.
2014-01-06 8:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by KWDreamun I don't know but when I bi-lateral, in about 75 yards I'm gasping for air. I breather every stroke to the 1 side and now bi-lateral it is every 3rd stroke so I'm getting less air. Is that a possibility? Maybe I'm not relaxed yet, pushing down in the water to get up to breathe is a possibility but I'm working my rear of on it. My master's swim is canceled today and tomorrow due to weather.

I think blilateral can mean one of two things.  Either every 3, 5, 7 and only every 3, 5, 7 strokes.  Or, it can mean being able to breathe to either side and switching it up during each swim.

I, too, like air.  A lot!  So, during a tempo swim I'll breathe on 3, 2, 2, 2, 3, 2, 2, 2, 3 and so on (or 3, 2, 2, 3, 2,2, 3.. or even 3, 2, 3, 2, if I'm going easier).  When I'm trying to hammer a 100, for instance, I'll actually breathe to the same SIDE of the lane.  So, to my right on the first length, left coming back, right next length, etc.

For OWS, I think it's very important to be able to switch sides easily.  For form, the first definition of bilateral above might be more important (to balance out the stroke, etc.).

All that said, I breathe more than real fish do.  My 11 y.o. daughter swims FAST and won't breathe for 5-7 strokes after coming off the wall.  I'd just die on the spot if I tried that.  

Matt

2014-01-06 9:00 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Matt, congrats to your daughter...yea I swim around the times as our travel swim teams and watching those 10 -11 YO folks swim like fish...well I'm happy for them...not so much for me...lol

That is a GREAT idea to do 3 2 3 2 and switch it up... thanks I'll give it a try... it is funny how I can bike hard and run hard but swimming.....

Edited by KWDreamun 2014-01-06 9:00 AM

2014-01-06 11:18 AM
in reply to: tedjohn

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

OK, multi reply post, as I was outta pocket for the better part of the weekend:

Karl - cool HM, it sure sounds like you had a great time. I have found that trails test my stability and balance, thus more strength where I need it most. My ankles are not as strong as I would like, but I think the trails help with that. I found that pacing in a single track trail race can be an interesting challenge. And re:swimming, I found that I *can* breathe bilateral, but I seem to like a consistent even stroke count for my breathing. It has come in handy during a race though, due to wave direction, so like all skills that you can develop, it can be helpful to have it in your bag of tricks. Of course, I am about the worst swimmer you'll find, so take anything swim related from me with the appropriate grains of salt.

Matt - For me, biking wins out. I did a lot of riding in my younger days and it is nice to get back to it. I do enjoy running, especially when it cools down, but biking just makes me the happiest. It does change however. Last year I was trail running more, and that was the best at that time. But the bike won out this summer and it has remained that way. The only constant is my feelings for swimming, so I have a tentative plan for coaching, instruction, or masters later in the year. Gotta get better on that.

Have a great start to your week!

2014-01-06 11:51 AM

User image

What's your favorite sport of the three?

It's cycling for me, probably because I'm used to it. Running is a close second, although I only started a couple of years ago. Swimming.....not so much

2014-01-06 12:53 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

James, why do you say it's harder to exhale fully when breathing bilaterally?

Matt

No I did say it was harder to exhale fully when breathing bilaterally but it can compound your ability to fully exhaling. That may be even the wrong explanation, but ones ability to constantly exhaling into the water. One would most likely be displaying this as well with non bilateral breathing. It compounded because of the change in the timing and rhythm of the breathing.

Bilateral breathing requires a bit more timing and rhythm to master. The breathing cycle needs to be driven with the exhaling so that you are not holding on to your breath. Holding on to your breath (not fully exhaling) will cause a disruption in the timing and rhythm in the breathing cycle. Most can compensate this by changing that cycle to the 3, 2, 2, 3 or what ever. You will be faster in the water with breathing 3, 3, 3, 3 versa 3, 2, 2, 3.
2014-01-06 5:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5 James, why do you say it's harder to exhale fully when breathing bilaterally?

Matt

No I did say it was harder to exhale fully when breathing bilaterally but it can compound your ability to fully exhaling. That may be even the wrong explanation, but ones ability to constantly exhaling into the water. One would most likely be displaying this as well with non bilateral breathing. It compounded because of the change in the timing and rhythm of the breathing. Bilateral breathing requires a bit more timing and rhythm to master. The breathing cycle needs to be driven with the exhaling so that you are not holding on to your breath. Holding on to your breath (not fully exhaling) will cause a disruption in the timing and rhythm in the breathing cycle. Most can compensate this by changing that cycle to the 3, 2, 2, 3 or what ever. You will be faster in the water with breathing 3, 3, 3, 3 versa 3, 2, 2, 3.

I get the different approach throwing off your rhythm until you get the hang of it, but this part confused me a little.  The only reason I go 322322322 is that I need to breathe.  If I'm pushing at all and try 3333333, I just get all acidy feeling and NEED to breathe - or I go slow enough to not need that extra breath.

What would be better, do you think:  swim slower and stick with 33333 or breathe more?  Or, go 3333333 fast and just do shorter sets until I can deal with less oxygen (as in, build specific fitness)?

Turns out, I really like air.    Seriously, though, I'm trying to figure all this out...

Thanks!

Matt

2014-01-06 8:58 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5 James, why do you say it's harder to exhale fully when breathing bilaterally?

Matt

No I did say it was harder to exhale fully when breathing bilaterally but it can compound your ability to fully exhaling. That may be even the wrong explanation, but ones ability to constantly exhaling into the water. One would most likely be displaying this as well with non bilateral breathing. It compounded because of the change in the timing and rhythm of the breathing. Bilateral breathing requires a bit more timing and rhythm to master. The breathing cycle needs to be driven with the exhaling so that you are not holding on to your breath. Holding on to your breath (not fully exhaling) will cause a disruption in the timing and rhythm in the breathing cycle. Most can compensate this by changing that cycle to the 3, 2, 2, 3 or what ever. You will be faster in the water with breathing 3, 3, 3, 3 versa 3, 2, 2, 3.

I get the different approach throwing off your rhythm until you get the hang of it, but this part confused me a little.  The only reason I go 322322322 is that I need to breathe.  If I'm pushing at all and try 3333333, I just get all acidy feeling and NEED to breathe - or I go slow enough to not need that extra breath.

What would be better, do you think:  swim slower and stick with 33333 or breathe more?  Or, go 3333333 fast and just do shorter sets until I can deal with less oxygen (as in, build specific fitness)?

Turns out, I really like air.    Seriously, though, I'm trying to figure all this out...

Thanks!

Matt

Hey Matt if you need to breath then breath. My point was you will be fast swimming a more rhythmic breathing pattern. Very hard to do in open water swim due to contact, waves, current, pace changes etc….

I have a pretty rhythmic breathing but often it changes dramatically over the race. My race (swim) usually starts as sprint (high stroke turnover) with a 6 beat kick combinating in breathing every 3-7 strokes for 500-700 yards or until smooth water. Then I can settle into a rhythmic swim cadence.

2014-01-07 12:12 AM

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia

What's your favorite sport of the three?  

I can't believe I am going to say this, but running is super close to being my favourite. Roll back a year and my "running" was more like power walking (minus the power). A 5km run was a full blown endurance event for me. Since then I've run a lot more and focussed on improving my terrible heel-striking technique. The running was initially murder on my calves, and it cost me a four month knee injury, but a few hundred km's later and my running has improved out of sight.

All that being said... I still love to ride. I bought a new carbon road bike a few months back which was a treat, and I think that is part of it. I am still in love with the electronic shifting. Being able to have shifting on both the drop bars and the aero bars at the same time is a kicker, particularly when I can't afford a TT bike. I'm never going back to cables...!

Running is my strongest leg these days but I just like getting on the bike.

2014-01-07 6:59 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

What's your favorite sport of the three?  Is it different each year or does it stay consistent over time?

Good question.

For me, I like all three disciplines pretty much equally in training. Now when it comes to racing I would say the run. Not so much of being the toughest part of the race but my endurance run has suffered over the years. I never have been able to master that long run even from my early years of racing. I am still working on it.
2014-01-07 1:02 PM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
I'm starting to love running (well not today, it is 28 at 2:00 here in N. FL) and I love riding my tri bike, road bike is fun too. I just can't say I love swimming yet....

Just in case ya'll didn't know, I really HATE the cold..... I feel so sorry for my northern friends.....

At least i get to go to Miami next week, even if it is for work.

Edited by KWDreamun 2014-01-07 1:04 PM
2014-01-07 9:54 PM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Originally posted by KWDreamun

Just in case ya'll didn't know, I really HATE the cold..... I feel so sorry for my northern friends.....

At least i get to go to Miami next week, even if it is for work.

I used to really hate the cold but after training through the winter for a 50 mile, I've kind of made my peace with it. Once I'm outside and running I don't really mind so much. It's the mental preparation and the time spent putting on all of those layers that drives me crazy!! That said, I wouldn't mind a few days in Miami!
2014-01-08 6:43 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Karl, I'm with you. 40*, windy and a sprinkly sort of rain this morning. I did the 3 miles I needed today, but there wasn't a whole lot of smiling. I am impressed with the cold weather folks, ya'll have some serious mental toughness going on!

2014-01-08 12:33 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Got out for an easy 4.2 mile run today.  So sunny that I HAD to get out of the basement!  Not bad (~8-10 and just below zero with the wind), but all the ice on the sidewalk did make it tough to get into any kind of rhythm.   That said, tonight's "ride" is going to be on the drainer, as I'm not going near all that black ice - it's everywhere!

Bad weather is all just relative to expectations.  In the summer, it's a slog to run in 55 degree rain, but right now I'd dance in that.  Now, anything above zero and sunny starts to feel good.  What you see out the window is all relative to what you're expecting, yeah?

And there's no such thing as "bad" weather - it's an excuse for MORE GEAR!  

Matt

2014-01-08 1:02 PM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
"And there's no such thing as "bad" weather - it's an excuse for MORE GEAR! "

Now that made me laugh! It is so true!

Edited by KWDreamun 2014-01-08 1:03 PM
2014-01-09 8:19 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

How is everyone doing this week? Any highs or lows that aren't temperature related? Is there a thaw out in anyone's immediate future?

I got in a pretty good effort on Wednesday, so I feel pretty good about that. I continue to run, 5 times a week, prepping for a trail race in mid Feb. But mostly I am excited to put paint on the frame of my bike build this weekend. It should be a beautiful steel grey by Sunday night, and then a trip to the LBS to order parts. Fun, fun, fun.

2014-01-09 8:22 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
So how is everyones new year going?

Mine starting out just great and so far I have run every conservative day. Actually I've run consecutively since the 28th of December 2013. My goal is consecutive run thru January.

Does anyone have any short term goals for the month of January ?

2014-01-09 8:31 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by cdban66

How is everyone doing this week? Any highs or lows that aren't temperature related? Is there a thaw out in anyone's immediate future?

I got in a pretty good effort on Wednesday, so I feel pretty good about that. I continue to run, 5 times a week, prepping for a trail race in mid Feb. But mostly I am excited to put

paint on the frame of my bike build this weekend. It should be a beautiful steel grey by Sunday night, and then a trip to the LBS to order parts. Fun, fun, fun.

I must have been typing when you posted. I am a slooooow typer.

Great job on the running!

Are you powder coating the fixie or just spray enamel? Can wait to see some pictures.

2014-01-09 9:45 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by cdban66

I got in a pretty good effort on Wednesday, so I feel pretty good about that. I continue to run, 5 times a week, prepping for a trail race in mid Feb. But mostly I am excited to put paint on the frame of my bike build this weekend. It should be a beautiful steel grey by Sunday night, and then a trip to the LBS to order parts. Fun, fun, fun.

I must have been typing when you posted. I am a slooooow typer. Great job on the running! Are you powder coating the fixie or just spray enamel? Can wait to see some pictures.

I'd love to get a naked frame and powder coat. I have a friend with a booth in his machine shop who is willing. But the frame I have is from a previous bike, so I'm going the spray enamel route. I have a gallery of it that I have started, but I should be adding to it soon, as things are starting to happen. The funny part is a head badge. For some reason I am hung up on having one, so I have been searching for someone to do one of those and haven't come up with anything yet.

2014-01-09 10:13 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Can't wait to see the pics of it finished! Looks great from the pics already!

2014-01-09 10:20 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Thanks, it started life as a Trek 1200 from the early 90's. It had down tube shifters, one internal cable, and the bottle cages were rusted in place. I've used a jigsaw on it to remove some stuff and it has been sanded and is nearly ready for paint. It's been fun, but I am ready for it to be done and on the road. So I'll be making a push over the next few weeks to get it done. Then it comes to work with me for training rides. Should be ready for spring.

Edited by cdban66 2014-01-09 10:21 AM
2014-01-09 12:00 PM

User image

Hey Matt (and others),
I'm working on this very thing - moving to working toward bilateral breathing. Question - can you explain what you mean by the 322232223222... Is that mixing bilateral with one side? I assume those are counts of individual arm reaches, right? Also someone mentioned about fully exhaling into the water, and that might be tiring (did I read that right?). I think that's the only way I "know how" to exhale right now and am wondering what else maybe I should be doing. I def need to spend some time on YouTube or find me a coach, even just for a little bit but early on before I settle into some bad habits. I have been doing one lap breathing on one side, and then return breathing on the other so I wouldn't be so reliant on just one. I only briefly tried the bilateral breathing but I INSTANTLY felt more balanced and faster, but will need more time to assess compared to 1-sided every time breath.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 13

RELATED POSTS

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 99242 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16211 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 29734 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75

Started by slornow
Views: 60948 Posts: 1862

2014-05-16 5:48 PM GoldenSprocket

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 0
A disappointing start to the season need not set the tone.

date : September 14, 2008
author : Team BT
Receive online triathlon coaching via our forums, personal coaching through an affiliated coach or nutrition coaching from our certified nutritionist.
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : May 1, 2006
author : Team BT
The day of the triathlon was one of the best days of my life. I felt strong and healthy. Lots of friends and family came to cheer me on. The support was overwhelming.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : May 9, 2005
author : mikericci
Athletes should have completed at least one Olympic distance triathlon or swim 500 yards consecutively / bike 15 mile consecutively / run 3 miles consecutively.
date : May 9, 2005
author : mikericci
Sprint distance athletes should have completed 1-3 sprints and/or be able to swim 200 yards consecutively / bike 8 mile consecutively / run 1.5 miles consecutively.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Access to more articles, full training log features, an entire detailed training plan library and plan support - plus many additional perks.