BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Other Way - Training by Feeling and Racing to Train - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2014-03-19 7:49 AM
in reply to: Paper Boy

User image

New user
Subject: RE: The Other Way - Training by Feeling and Racing to Train - OPEN
Burner 2
I know from coaching football for 30 years, everyone's body and metabolism make up is different. These training plans are very general guidelines to get you to where you can finish. Instead of worry about the total time of workout, it might be better for you to worry about the intensity of workout and rest periods in between sets. I often go gym and watch other lifters do four sets of bench and take 15 minuntes to complete, where as I will have done the same exercise along with 4 sets of Ab's, curls, triceps, and leg press, and be dripping with sweat. Not saying the other guy is wrong but it is what you want to achieve with workout. It takes "Time, Pressure and Heat" to change things in this world and that includes are bodies, and heat translates into intensity. If your clothes are getting smaller but you are maintaining you weight, I would say that is good thing, you are likely dropping fat and increasing muscle mass, muscle weighs more than fat. You might consider having some test run to better track your body composition and metabolism.
When I start these workouts I am usually ahead in bike, behind on swim and jog. I kinda wish we would add bench press to tri competition LOL, even the playing field with all those skinny butts.

I would work from where you are, and increase intensity and lessen rest breaks during workout

You might end up ready for Olympic this year!

2014-03-19 11:15 AM
in reply to: pfomalont

User image

Marshall Michigan
Morning everyone, another great ride today - the good lord kept the rain and drizzle at bay while i finished my run...by the time I was out of the shower it was coming down pretty steady.

3 days riding now - and today felt the best, strong, short cuts coming along well...not a big time improvment but those studded tires really don't roll as smooth as I wish... good confidence builder when on ice and snow, but really If I try to turn sharp on ice and snow and the weather is in the 20's...i'm going down, or putting a foot down so I don't. They help don't get me wrong - but they are slow.

The thing that really surprised me is how slow i'm running after the bike...last summer, fall after a good ride it was no biggy to hit the last run and have the legs feel good....Now I grab a new bag of papers and run this little route by my house and i have cement boots stapped to my feet....
I realize I'm just getting going again - but I must say - I look like a 90 year old man schuffling along trying to make the bus stop...lol

I hope you all achieve your training goals today.

Spring is Friday - we are going to make it!
pb
2014-03-19 12:32 PM
in reply to: #4916679

User image

Nice brisk walk yesterday - core and squats - kind of an off day
2014-03-19 12:32 PM
in reply to: #4967976

User image

Today another brisk walk at lunch and a long swim tonight
2014-03-20 10:47 AM
in reply to: Clarkey77

User image

New user
little bummed out today, I have started swim lessons, and I know my technique is better, but after days rest, swimming seems even more exhausting. Couple of weeks ago I slothed through 800m swim with just quick stop turns, now with drills, it seems I am gassed at 75-100m.

I can only figure I am swimming faster, working harder - not sure....little depressing after two months of training, and losing 13lbs
2014-03-20 12:00 PM
in reply to: coachrains

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Coach, try not to worry about it too much.

Keep in mind the big picture. Your commitment will yield long term results. Day to day and even week to week results may vary a little. I always tell myself after a bad run, "you can't PR everyday."
You may have factors at work that you are not even aware of, maybe lacking a little sleep (the time change always messes me up for a week or so), or accumulated fatigue from all the training you have been doing, or maybe you just had an off day. As a coach you know there are some days when a guy just doesn't "have it" for one reason or another.

My advice is just hang in there and focus on the long term improvements and not worry about comparing one workout to the next.

2014-03-20 10:14 PM

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
I am happy to be starting the first day of spring in new workout clothes. Although I have not lost any weight, I am losing inches, as my top no longer kept my girls covered in the pool and my shorts kept sliding down. So, new tank top and shorts for the pool, and new sweat pants for hitting the pavement and biking (until it gets warm enough for shorts).

I met with my swim coach for the first time yesterday, and she said my swimming technique is fine. She gave me a few breathing tips, but said I should keep doing what I've been doing. I've only been swimming freestyle for about 2 1/2 months, after teaching myself how by watching YouTube videos. She has also done triathlons in the past and gave me a few tips about what to watch for when swimming. Fortunately for me, I have no anxiety about swimming in open water.

I also rode my bike for the first time this week, and that made me really happy because it means the range of motion in my left knee is increasing as just a week ago, I was unable to ride. But Tuesday, I hopped on and enjoyed a quick 5-mile ride before taking my bike in for its annual tune-up. Hopefully, I'll get it back tomorrow or Saturday morning as this weekend is supposed to be nice, and I'd love to get in some riding time both days, as well as after work next week.
2014-03-21 8:12 AM
in reply to: burner2

User image

Marshall Michigan
Good morning everyone = Happy Friday

Good rides for me this week - 4 days in a row and my legs felt like mush this morning...however I'm so happy to be out of the car and on the bike.
(my car loves the break as well)

Plans for Saturday - long run - OH BOY! and while not delivering papers - which will be a switch...9 miles just me, shoes and a few select layers...i'm really looking forward to it. Temps in the 20's - so should be prefect, wish me luck for no foot pains, no knee pains, no side cramps, no lace bite...

And NO Skunks!!! Spring is here when you can smell skunks - and well this morning - in more then 1 area of town - those city skunks where out in force - letting things fly if you know what i mean!!

Hope everyone has a super training weekend!
pb

FYI - almost went swimming for the 1st time yesterday...almost - the commute home got me! darn it! next week for sure!
2014-03-22 10:01 AM
in reply to: #4967977

User image

Hey all 3 easy miles today 12,11,10 min miles each and some strength work prior to that
2014-03-22 4:45 PM

User image

Regular
Grand Junction, Colorado
Coach, I am happy to hear that you feel slow and winded during your swim. Really. If you had jumped on in the pool and raced like a motor boat then soon you would find a reason not to head for the pool because its just too easy.

This early in the season, remember who you, think about were you started, & your breath will return. While you are swimming, think of your posture, what are the mechanics in play, maybe your kicking a weeeee bit much which in turn sucks down the oxygen. Are you breathing every stroke?? Should you be taking in air on the 3rd or 4th stroke??? Sometimes holding your breath a little longer will slow down the need for that quick breath and faster turns in the pool. Only you know the answers.

Allow swimming to remain fun and relaxing!!! Its a low impact sport that doesn't need to be stressful in any way shape or form. Yes, maybe the time change. Yes, maybe too much sleep. Yes, maybe a poor diet that day. Whatever?!?!?

Swimming will come your way. Your body will find a "happy" rhythm during your workouts. Something that was on my mind, maybe your football muscles are in the way of your swimming muscles??? What The _____ Does That Mean?????? It might mean this…….. Range Of Motion…. How is your range of motion after wear and tear from use??? Maybe when you are feeling you need more air, your fight or flight takes over???

Coach, remember this, you are not alone.
Coach, focus on this, you are down 13lbs!!!
Coach, You Are Awesome.
Stretch, Swim, Cool Down, & Pound H2o
2014-03-22 8:39 PM
in reply to: The Padre

User image

Three Weeks until my TRI!
(and 9.5 hours, but whos counting)!!!

Yes a little giddy!

2014-03-23 5:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Originally posted by Clarkey77

Three Weeks until my TRI!
(and 9.5 hours, but whos counting)!!!

Yes a little giddy!

3 weeks out for me too!
Still lots of work to do.
MOJO RISING !!!
2014-03-23 6:44 PM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

Hi all,

Here is the weekly (approximately) review of everyone's progress.

Neil: You have another solid week. Though your training log shows a lot of runs you are good about not neglecting biking and swimming. It is great to break the 10 min/mile barrier. Like most of us here as we race and train your times should keep on going down. That is one of the best things about getting into triathlons is that man of us will see improvements every year. I bet that you have some nice PR's in your races this season. Keep up the good work.

Travis: As usual you have an amazing variety of sports on your training log. I am sure if there is ever a cheerleading, dancing, home improvement triathlon you would win that with all of your training. Great job on the run. 39 min in the 5 k is a good effort. Does Shadow Boy pace you or vice versa? It is great that you have a group of runners to train with. A weekly 5k is a great way to get some race pace fitness workouts in.

LeAnn: Wow what a monster run at 32 km. In your comments you said that the hills killed you but a 5:47 min/km pace seems pretty strong. I think that hill training is so valuable. Running long distance on flats doesn't seem to give your muscles enough development. Throwing in some up and down must give a better range of fitness to your legs. I hope that your travel schedule is less intense so you can get in to a routine. Any chance of getting on your bike?

Coach: So glad to hear that you got on the bike. Sounds like you are tackling the swimming correctly with the master's class. Biking and running you can get back with a lot of effort. Swimming though is such a different beast. It is so technique dependent. You can expend huge energy and not go anywhere. With the Atlanta Tri coming up don't forget to do a few bricks. Race day is not when you want your legs to experience the bike to run transition. Even if you just run a mile or two after a bike it will help your legs be ready for the race.

Bill: You win the "will exercise outside no matter how cold it is" award. When the temp is below freezing I am not running or cycling outside. Your training log shows a steady diet of running and biking. Since it is nearly the same everyday I assume that it is your route? That is great you are getting out on your MTB. I think it is underrated training. I especially like the bike handling skills that MTB gives you, never know when you might have to bunny hop some obstacle on your tri bike. I agree with you that the treadmill is great to give you a feeling of different speeds. I do agree that it is somewhat artificial as the belt is giving your legs a boost but like all training it is a great supplement to your routine and will strengthen your legs.

Jennifer: Great to hear that you were able to do a swim run combo. It is so interesting the transition of one sport to another. It is what makes triathlons so cool. You are getting three sports for the price of one. A training partner is fantastic. I am always doing group runs and rides and having other people around is so nice for encouragement and friendly competition. Looks like you are getting some good biking in as well. It seems like you are right on course for your triathlon in July.

burner2: Sorry I don't know your name. Welcome to the group. It sounds like you are really getting in to the triathlon spirit. Your training log is great to review. You have a nice selection of sports this last week. Your swim distances are nice and long. You are in good shape if you can swim 800 yards. It is great that you are dealing with your your knee issues in a positive way. I like the race walking that you describe in your run. It is all about personal goals. None of us here are going to be going pro any it is the joy of having goals and working towards them that motivates us. Keep up the good work.

Chris: Seems like you are amping up the effort. Runs in the 7 minute range and nearly 20 mph on the bike and an insane 3500+ yard swim at nearly 1:30. If my calculations are correct with a 1:30 /100 yard swim, 20 mph bike, and a 7:30 pace run that puts you right around the 2 hour 30 minute mark with transition time. Seems like you are right on target for your goals. I am really pulling for you to break 2:30. It is going to put all of these efforts together that is going to be the challenge. I am guessing that it is going to come down to the run. I was reading a pro triathletes blog the other day and he really gears back on the bike towards the end. Granted he was doing ironman distances but I wonder if you can go hard on the bike but the last few miles somehow prepare your legs better for the run. 7:30 is a fast run after the bike and swim but I think it is in your reach.

Myself: So it is now exactly a week before the Ironman in Los Cabos. I am super excited. My father, who lives in Chile, is flying there to meet me and be my support crew. Flying out on Wednesday. My spring vacation just started this weekend and now I have two weeks off. So nice to be done with work for a bit. We had amazingly warm temps until yesterday and now there is about a meter of snow on the ground. Did some beautiful rides this last week. Since I live in a mountain village every finish to my rides is at least a 6 km, 11% grade road that leads back home. Great kick in the butt ending to a ride. This is the first year I had a trainer and I think it paid off, my biking has been strong for the early season. With traveling and the race it might not be until 10 days I can give the next update. Everyone seems like they are doing great and it is nice to see all of y'alls post.

Take care,

Sincerely,

Paul

2014-03-23 9:26 PM

User image

Originally posted by pfomalont

Myself: So it is now exactly a week before the Ironman in Los Cabos. I am super excited. My father, who lives in Chile, is flying there to meet me and be my support crew. Flying out on Wednesday.
Take care,

Sincerely,

Paul

Paul,

Good luck,
We are all rooting for you!

What is your goal?
2014-03-24 7:17 AM

User image

Americus, Georgia
Thanks for the feedback, Paul! Much appreciated!
2014-03-24 10:11 AM
in reply to: marriedthepoolguy

User image

Marshall Michigan
Yes good luck with the race.

I love looking forward to your feedback - so I'll be ready for some great race reports in 10 days! details, details, details!

2014-03-24 10:35 AM

User image

Marshall Michigan
Good morning everyone - Happy Monday.

Weird weekend - didn't do long run on Saturday...I was cooked, body hurt all over, everytime I got up, I went right back to bed. I guess my body needed it as I woke Sunday morning - and was ready togo - just no time for a long run...

Let me explain my 2 runs per day. I deliver papers for a hour in my car (tubes) and prep my bags, end up at a old folks home..great pottie break oppertunity - grab a bag of 32 papers from car then run around a condo complex - 17min to 22min...it's less then 1.5 miles but in my defense, it is opening doors, running up a few flights of stairs, running over giant snow plies, across snowy lawns, 2 6 foot rock walls and some landscaping walls.. always the shortest path, trying to find the best short cuts.
Jump in Car drive home.. 5 min away park in driveway grab bag of papers and jump on bike....again, low miles - but ride time 55min to 100 min depending on route I take, and how I feel. Deliver 1 to 3 bags of papers of 50 papers in each bag. Which I drop around town during that 1st hour in the car.
Ride home - last week was 1st full riding week - legs where mush...glad to be out there!
Grab last bag of papers from car - go for 2nd run, just 2 miles but same thing, runnning over snow piles as big as my house, across lawns, a patch of woods, more stairs, this winter 30 to 35 min depending on snow/ice....this summer I'll be at 25min.

All I can say - is I LOVE MY PAPER ROUTE...if only I had this much fun at my real job. Every morning my hats and bottom two layers of shirts are soaked with sweat everyday - my top layers are all figured out - depending on what I'm doing and the temps - I have some sweet reflective shirts always on the outside - and super duper 1000 watt light strapped to my bike w/ rechargeable battery. It is so bright cars have flash thier high beems at me to turn it down...to funny...

i hope everyone has a super training day today - treadmill tonight!
pb
2014-03-24 10:48 AM

User image

Regular
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paul, Best Of Luck Brother!!! Enjoy the race BUT take in the views, the fans, THE ATMOSPHERE…. Its your day
2014-03-24 11:24 AM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

New user

thanks Chris, I think all the reasons mentioned are having impact, especially the fatigue of trying to perpare in short time for first Tri this year. I did swim lesson with my coach yesterday and my arms felt like lead in water lol. Trying to drop calories and eat better, while increasing work load of workouts takes it out of you.

I am staying the course, swim coach says my technique is much improved. I am still enjoying the grind.
2014-03-24 11:26 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Thanks for feedback, I will try to get in some solid bricks

Good luck in race Paul

Edited by coachrains 2014-03-24 11:27 AM
2014-03-24 11:35 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
The Padre and others
I had tough but good one on one lesson with my coach yesterday, she is tough on me but very positive. I have learned a little about coaching from her and being the struggling student (which I haven't been in a long time). She says my technique has really come a long way, she isn't worried about endurance as much as technique, my endurance will jump up pretty big in next couple of weeks. Hopefully in time for my first Tri not afterwards. Anyway I really appreciate everyone in group giving positive feedback, it really helps. This will be the tough week, with race 13 days away.

I did get in a 23 mile ride at a decent pace on Friday, after shoveling dense grade gravel for an hour and half that morning. Exhausted but great workout.

Thanks

Paul

Edited by coachrains 2014-03-24 11:40 AM

2014-03-24 7:13 PM

User image

I had a nice little run today.

4.2 miles (long for me!)....
48 minutes.

I did the first 2.5 miles at 12 min miles
then a small breather
then a half mile at 11
then a half mile at 10.
then a small breather
then the last .5 at about 8.5.

All on the dreadmill.

It was getting very close to getting outside, now it looks like more snow tomorrow ! UGH!
2014-03-24 8:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Originally posted by Paper Boy

Good morning everyone - Happy Monday.

Weird weekend - didn't do long run on Saturday...I was cooked, body hurt all over, everytime I got up, I went right back to bed. I guess my body needed it as I woke Sunday morning - and was ready togo - just no time for a long run...

Let me explain my 2 runs per day. I deliver papers for a hour in my car (tubes) and prep my bags, end up at a old folks home..great pottie break oppertunity - grab a bag of 32 papers from car then run around a condo complex - 17min to 22min...it's less then 1.5 miles but in my defense, it is opening doors, running up a few flights of stairs, running over giant snow plies, across snowy lawns, 2 6 foot rock walls and some landscaping walls.. always the shortest path, trying to find the best short cuts.
Jump in Car drive home.. 5 min away park in driveway grab bag of papers and jump on bike....again, low miles - but ride time 55min to 100 min depending on route I take, and how I feel. Deliver 1 to 3 bags of papers of 50 papers in each bag. Which I drop around town during that 1st hour in the car.
Ride home - last week was 1st full riding week - legs where mush...glad to be out there!
Grab last bag of papers from car - go for 2nd run, just 2 miles but same thing, runnning over snow piles as big as my house, across lawns, a patch of woods, more stairs, this winter 30 to 35 min depending on snow/ice....this summer I'll be at 25min.

All I can say - is I LOVE MY PAPER ROUTE...if only I had this much fun at my real job. Every morning my hats and bottom two layers of shirts are soaked with sweat everyday - my top layers are all figured out - depending on what I'm doing and the temps - I have some sweet reflective shirts always on the outside - and super duper 1000 watt light strapped to my bike w/ rechargeable battery. It is so bright cars have flash thier high beems at me to turn it down...to funny...

i hope everyone has a super training day today - treadmill tonight!
pb

This sounds insane. (But also lots of fun!)
2014-03-24 9:44 PM

Hi! I'm 13 days away from my first triathlon (a sprint) but I just discovered this mentor program and I hope I can jump in, because I like the way y'all train! As you can tell I'm from the South, so I've been able to get outside for some good training on the road the last month. I'm doing the Chasing Chicken reverse tri in Richmond, VA. It's a 5k run, 20k bike, 300m pool swim. Today I had a great brick workout at half race distances -- except is it still a brick if you do the run first and then the bike?? Anyway, I've loved reading your advice and encouragement to each other and hope I can stick around.

Thanks!!
Molly
2014-03-24 10:07 PM
in reply to: mollydickinson

User image

Originally posted by mollydickinson

Hi! I'm 13 days away from my first triathlon (a sprint) but I just discovered this mentor program and I hope I can jump in, because I like the way y'all train! As you can tell I'm from the South, so I've been able to get outside for some good training on the road the last month. I'm doing the Chasing Chicken reverse tri in Richmond, VA. It's a 5k run, 20k bike, 300m pool swim. Today I had a great brick workout at half race distances -- except is it still a brick if you do the run first and then the bike?? Anyway, I've loved reading your advice and encouragement to each other and hope I can stick around.

Thanks!!
Molly

Good luck Molly,

our mentor is off to do an IM this week, so you may not get much feedback from him before your race, but there are some folks here way more experienced than me who Im sure are willing to help out.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Other Way - Training by Feeling and Racing to Train - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 12

RELATED POSTS

KiterChick's beginner friendly group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11

Started by KiterChick
Views: 21176 Posts: 272

2014-05-16 10:43 AM KiterChick

Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 37412 Posts: 803

2014-05-18 8:03 AM Hunting Triathlete

BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13

Started by BrotherTri
Views: 19840 Posts: 308

2014-04-13 8:12 AM mcmanusclan5

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 24407 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16144 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : October 29, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.

date : June 11, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you about to race your first triathlon? Here are two great tips on swimming your first open water triathlon race.
date : October 5, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on bilateral breathing, working on balance drills, the importance of interval training to improve speed, the importance of kicking and sighting in open water.

date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.
date : March 5, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
When we get ready to train or race, we have a pretty fixed set of thoughts. We are unaware of how they affect our racing.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Drafting, open water swimming, hydration bricks and aero bar tips for your first Olympic triathlon race.