BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 54

2014-05-20 9:54 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-OPEN

Just for the record, I haven't found any routine that makes swimming any easier. 

This X2!

Steve-I pretty much always try to get my swim in first if I have 2 workouts. Most of my swim workouts are challenging, at least for me, and I have a hard time doing anything with much intensity in the pool if I have already done a tough run or bike. I feel like my legs are dragging the bottom of the pool. I will occasionally do a recovery swim later in the day if I've done a solid bike or run workout.....seems to help my legs feel better. 

Fixed the group name...sorry about that Jason...your new name Wannabeabeastfaster

Edited by slornow 2014-05-20 9:55 AM

2014-05-20 9:56 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabesfaster's Summer Group-OPEN
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by axteraa

This morning I did my last workout with any sort of intensity before the HM next weekend.  5 x 1k @ T pace with 60s recovery.  It felt good and I was a little bit faster than the pace targets from my coach.  A nice little confidence boost before the race.

Like Arend, I did my last run effort with any major intensity this morning, about 1.6 miles @ T pace.  That pace is starting to become much more comfortable, even though I've dropped a couple of Daniels' VDOTs this spring. 

Speaking of tapering, I'd like to ask you all for some advice on it.  I know there's a certain variance based on your ability, training, etc., but how much taper do you think I would need for an OLY?  My logs are up to date and open to anyone.  The last five weeks have two volume weeks, a recovery week with a running race, then two intensity weeks.  With two weeks left, I'm pretty much following my normal routine this week, but dropping a couple of workouts and lowering volume maybe 20%.  Next week I'll take two full days off (Monday/Thursday), have a couple of short intense sessions on Tues/Wed, then just the regular "day before" stuff on Friday.

That's pretty much what I would do for a good taper week. I don't like doing nothing, so I'd go with sticking with your regular schedule and dropping your intensity. Seems solid to me!
2014-05-20 10:00 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by slornow

Just for the record, I haven't found any routine that makes swimming any easier. 

This X2!

Steve-I pretty much always try to get my swim in first if I have 2 workouts. Most of my swim workouts are challenging, at least for me, and I have a hard time doing anything with much intensity in the pool if I have already done a tough run or bike. I feel like my legs are dragging the bottom of the pool. I will occasionally do a recovery swim later in the day if I've done a solid bike or run workout.....seems to help my legs feel better. 

Fixed the group name...sorry about that Jason...your new name Wannabeabeastfaster

I'm flexible about swimming first or second. On Wednesdays, I usually do an hour run before my swim, and my swim is generally much more intense than my run. On the other hand, if I have a particularly challenging swim workout, I have to be fresh for it.
2014-05-20 10:37 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

Originally posted by axteraa

This morning I did my last workout with any sort of intensity before the HM next weekend.  5 x 1k @ T pace with 60s recovery.  It felt good and I was a little bit faster than the pace targets from my coach.  A nice little confidence boost before the race.

Like Arend, I did my last run effort with any major intensity this morning, about 1.6 miles @ T pace.  That pace is starting to become much more comfortable, even though I've dropped a couple of Daniels' VDOTs this spring. 

Speaking of tapering, I'd like to ask you all for some advice on it.  I know there's a certain variance based on your ability, training, etc., but how much taper do you think I would need for an OLY?  My logs are up to date and open to anyone.  The last five weeks have two volume weeks, a recovery week with a running race, then two intensity weeks.  With two weeks left, I'm pretty much following my normal routine this week, but dropping a couple of workouts and lowering volume maybe 20%.  Next week I'll take two full days off (Monday/Thursday), have a couple of short intense sessions on Tues/Wed, then just the regular "day before" stuff on Friday.

Slow day at work here so I am upping my post count.......

Like Jamie, I think that this sounds close to perfect as far as tapers go. I might not take Monday and Tuesday completely off but I agree with the dramatically reduced volume but with a couple hits of intensity in the last 2-3 day before the race. Something like 3 easy miles of running with 4-6 x 30 second strides up to race pace. Same on the bike, 30-45 minutes with a couple 1-2 minute hits of race pace intensity.

Interesting to me that I have had some of my best race results when completely untapered and I have sometimes felt very sluggish on a full, "A race" kind of taper. I have been talking with my coach about a reduced taper for my A race this year to see what happens. Of course by the time my race rolls around I will be begging for some reduction in volume and intensity.
2014-05-20 10:38 AM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Master
South Alabama

Mike-I think your taper plan sounds good. Everyone is different but it seems the generally accepted rule is to reduce volume and intensity in the days leading up to the race. How big the taper typically depends on the length of the race. Sprint=short taper. IM=longer taper.  In the week prior to a race my coach keeps some intensity in s/b/r but the sets will be shorter and fewer. Some hard 50/100s mixed into the swim. Strides or short intervals thrown into easy runs and fewer/shorter hard intervals on the bike. I like to keep some intensity in the workouts leading into a race so my body feels ready for the pain  

2014-05-20 11:21 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
My best results come from my "least" amount of taper. When I first started racing I took a few days totally off before and I felt sluggish at the start line. Another time I threw a race in my schedule 3 days before race day, and I had a group ride scheduled 2 days before that I didn't want to miss, so at the start line I felt fine but then the 2nd half of the bike I was kind of messy. I usually try and do a swim the day before because for some reason I feel great swimming two days in a row, and it gives my legs some extra time off without being totally stagnant. If possible during packet pick up the day before I'll swim around a bit where the race is being held if it's allowed. Great way to get acclimated to the course.

2014-05-20 12:22 PM

User image

New user
New Hampshire
Originally posted by wannabefaster

Ps. I just noticed the misspelling in our group name I don't think it can be changed so I have to live with it for the next three months.

After this weekend it should be Wannabeastfaster! Awesome job, glad you survived.

Edit to add: I guess I should have read through all the posts before I posted. Randy beat me to the joke.

Edited by GoldenSprocket 2014-05-20 12:31 PM
2014-05-20 1:21 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Originally posted by SSMinnow

Eeeegads!  I've been deep underground since the surgery and almost missed my opportunity to rejoin the greatest group in BT!  If it wasn't for Jason checking in, I'd still be in the dark  Please take me back!

Fantastic to hear from you Suzy. I was just thinking a day or two ago about you and how recovery was going. Glad to have you back!
2014-05-20 2:00 PM

User image

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED
Mike-

I also think your taper looks solid. I agree with the few others that talked about keeping shorter amounts of intensity. I always feel like you if you go a whole week without asking your legs for speed, it is difficult to find it when you need it and are tired.

On the other hand...I'm about the LAST person in the world to give taper advice. Many of my absolute stupidest moments relate to doing something insane leading up to an important race. If I was talking to my kids that would be filed under "do as I say, not as I do".
2014-05-20 3:19 PM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Originally posted by wannabefaster

Paul, sorry I missed you on the first try--must subconsciously be that Ohio thing Randy was talking about

Jason...don't make me go Brutus on you!!!!!!!!!!

Do you know what's round on the ends and high in the middle?

O-HI-O!!

Also...that was an AWFULLY stout half iron distance race you put together at TTT. Even more impressive was the 7:44 pace you maintained on that run. Clearly, all that training your coach gave you that made you feel like the walking dead a month or so ago paid off in dividends.

Edited by glfprncs 2014-05-20 4:07 PM
2014-05-20 4:56 PM

User image

Master

Question for the swimmers in the group:

What could be causing my swim times to get slower (if that was even humanly possible) over the last year?

BOP swimmer who learned how to swim in 2008. Last year I swam 419499.38 Yds. Current swim totals for 2014 are down a bit from this time last year 154202.97 Yd. My workouts are similar to Randy and Jason's and they are making improvements so it isn't that the work is easy..

Yes, I know that there are technique problems that need to be resolved. Regardless of how hard I try to swim faster it just seems like I'm thrashing around in the pool. I can swim a steady pace and have X time. Then swim faster and hit the wall gasping for breath and only take 1-2 seconds off per 100.

We live in a small town and I swim alone. There is a local "masters" group but the workouts aren't normally worth going to. The closest decent swim coaches are an hour away. Once school gets out for the summer I plan on taking more swim lessons and driving up for masters if that is what it would take. Until then I'm sending tapes of my swimming to my coach for his input. My current run/bike training Is lighter than normal and has been for most of the year. Which rules that out as something that is contributing to the problem. I just want to understand why I'm swimming slower NOW than I was last year with a torn meniscus and then recovering from surgery for the majority of the year.

At this point I would move somewhere for the summer to swim if that is what it takes to get this problem resolved. I really like swimming and want to get better. I just don't understand what is wrong.  

X

Edited by Catwoman 2014-05-20 5:01 PM

2014-05-20 5:11 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Ok, here it is.  A tiny cut and paste with updates given my current situation.  The good news for those who know me, is I have been cleared to get back to some more working out post surgery.  I don't plan to go crazy, just ease into something that gets me back outside!

NAME: SSMinnow/Suzy

STORY:   Watched IM WI in my hometown of Madison WI in 2002. Decided I wanted to do it one day. Only problem is I rarely ran, had a hybrid bike and was deathly afraid of H20, having nearly drowned at 27 years of age. So I started running and did several marathons because it was the easiest thing to do for me.   After BQing three times I decided I needed to get serious about biking and getting over my fear of water if I was ever to do an IM. Worked my way up to a super sprint a couple years later and was hooked.   Since that time, I’ve done IM WI four times-2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013. I’m a decent runner and biker, but have been slow to catch on to swimming and still have some fear of OW.   Been doing triathlons since 2008.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 25 years, no kids, one 3 year old Cockapoo-Cooper

CURRENT TRAINING: How do I answer this one? J I tore my meniscus in March while training for the Boston marathon, had surgery on April 15th and am slowly crawling my way back to fitness. I was cleared to bike outside, swim normally and start a run rehab program today. Fortunately, I had decided not to do an IM this year and will focus on a couple of short distance races and hopefully be somewhat ready for Nationals in August.

MY FOCUS: The most obvious is rehab with no setbacks, but I still intend to work on my swim which is the weakest part of my game and holds me back from being competitive in my AG.  Drives me nuts.  REALLY.

THIS YEAR'S RACES Very much up in the air given the rehab. I would love to do a sprint race in late June, another in mid July before we head to Alaska for two weeks. I won’t be in great shape for Nationals, but I hope to be able to participate.

WEIGHTLOSS:   I’m only 4’10” so I really need to watch my weight. Having been sidelined for nearly three months makes me feel I have 3-5lbs to lose.  I don't weigh myself so it's only a guess.

2014-05-20 5:16 PM
in reply to: Catwoman

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Originally posted by Catwoman

Question for the swimmers in the group:

What could be causing my swim times to get slower (if that was even humanly possible) over the last year?

BOP swimmer who learned how to swim in 2008. Last year I swam 419499.38 Yds. Current swim totals for 2014 are down a bit from this time last year 154202.97 Yd. My workouts are similar to Randy and Jason's and they are making improvements so it isn't that the work is easy..

Yes, I know that there are technique problems that need to be resolved. Regardless of how hard I try to swim faster it just seems like I'm thrashing around in the pool. I can swim a steady pace and have X time. Then swim faster and hit the wall gasping for breath and only take 1-2 seconds off per 100.

We live in a small town and I swim alone. There is a local "masters" group but the workouts aren't normally worth going to. The closest decent swim coaches are an hour away. Once school gets out for the summer I plan on taking more swim lessons and driving up for masters if that is what it would take. Until then I'm sending tapes of my swimming to my coach for his input. My current run/bike training Is lighter than normal and has been for most of the year. Which rules that out as something that is contributing to the problem. I just want to understand why I'm swimming slower NOW than I was last year with a torn meniscus and then recovering from surgery for the majority of the year.

At this point I would move somewhere for the summer to swim if that is what it takes to get this problem resolved. I really like swimming and want to get better. I just don't understand what is wrong.  

X

Can't wait to hear some answers to this one.  In '13, I put in so many yards that I smelled more like chlorine than the pool!  I also swam my personal worst IM with only modest pool improvements.  And I had plenty of instruction to improve technique.

I will say that I did join a good Master's group this year and my times were improving, right up until the time I blew out my knee.  Since then I haven't been able to join my group, kick or push off the wall.  Feel like I'll be crawling out of a hole again!  That starts in a few weeks when the next round of Masters begins in an outdoor pool. 

2014-05-20 6:13 PM
in reply to: Catwoman

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Rene, if you feel like your fitness is the same or better then you are almost certainly doing something different in your technique that is causing more drag.  5s/100 (based on the note on your swim workout today) can easily be caused by a small change in technique.  You ask if it's how you are coming off the wall - something as simple as that could play a big role, a snappy turn (open or flip) with a good streamline off the wall is probably worth 3-5s/100 over a lazy turn with no streamline.  For me, 5s/100 is the difference between wearing jammers and wearing swim shorts (not big baggy board shorts, just regular swim shorts).   All that to say it could be something fairly subtle that is giving you grief.

What has your coach said about the videos you have sent?  Can you share them with us?

2014-05-20 8:20 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Master

Must be the bikini's that I've started wearing this year.

In the last video's my head was too far under the water and there was a lot of side to side body movement. Coach has me focusing on head position right now. I don't remember the head position being this bad in the last video.

There are more detailed notes in my BT blog.

BTW- My swim workout descriptions are similar to Randy and Jason's. The intervals are not the same!

2014-05-20 8:53 PM

, Georgia
Took Monday and Tuesday off. I'm currently with my grandparents helping them out, so the bike didn't come with me. Furthermore, I know people back home who might kill me if I go for a run here; not exactly the best side of town to be on.

Anyways, someone in the last group recommended to pick up TrainerRoad. What I saw on the website was impressive, but I wanted to get some opinions from those who have used it; is it any good?

2014-05-20 8:59 PM
in reply to: PhoenixM

User image

Master

Bryan, I haven't used Trainer Road but a lot of people love it and have had great success with their program. If I didn't have  a coach I would use their program in a heart beat.  

2014-05-20 9:28 PM
in reply to: #4996375

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Bryan, I can't recommend TrainerRoad more highly. It's a steal at $10/month, gives virtual power, tailored workouts based on threshold testing and has hundreds of workouts. You can listen to a recent IMTalk interview with TrainerRoad's co-founder here: http://www.imtalk.me/home/2014/4/21/imtalk-episode-410-phil-patters...
2014-05-20 9:47 PM

Easy run and a good steady bike(trainer) today.
Total of 1 hr of workout time.

It's getting harder to get motivated when coming home from hard days at work and coaching baseball,
OK....it's Kindergarten T-Ball, but still.

I plan on a running either 3 miles up hill for about 1500 ft vert to my house OR up the road and up a mountain for 4 miles 3000 ft of vert. this week
in preparation for a 3.7 mile 2300 ft vert. hill climb next month.
I live in VT, not very many flat places to run or ride, which is good, right??
2014-05-20 10:15 PM
in reply to: skibummer

User image

New user
Fernley, NV
Oh boy that was a long day a little over an hour on the bike this morning, :42 minute kind of tempo run at lunch and :45 in the pool tonight. I'm going to sleep well. It's almost June here in northern Nevada and the snow level may fall to the valley floor tonight, the back to the mid 80's by Friday, you never know what's going to happen around here
2014-05-21 5:47 AM
in reply to: mrajki

User image

Master
South Alabama

Good morning all. I'm on the road today. Back home this evening for some intervals on the track. Have a good day everyone.

2014-05-21 7:00 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by WoodrowCall Bryan, I can't recommend TrainerRoad more highly. It's a steal at $10/month, gives virtual power, tailored workouts based on threshold testing and has hundreds of workouts. You can listen to a recent IMTalk interview with TrainerRoad's co-founder here: http://www.imtalk.me/home/2014/4/21/imtalk-episode-410-phil-patters...

+1 on TrainerRoad.  I've been using it since it was in Beta back in the fall of 2011.

2014-05-21 7:27 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire

Originally posted by WoodrowCall Bryan, I can't recommend TrainerRoad more highly. It's a steal at $10/month, gives virtual power, tailored workouts based on threshold testing and has hundreds of workouts. You can listen to a recent IMTalk interview with TrainerRoad's co-founder here: http://www.imtalk.me/home/2014/4/21/imtalk-episode-410-phil-patters...

+1 on TrainerRoad.  I've been using it since it was in Beta back in the fall of 2011.

I could not give a higher recommendation about Trainer Road. For $10/month (or $100 a year) it's an absolute steal. You have honestly endless workouts at your disposal and the whole setup is inexpensive and easy to use. Best thing about it is that you have zero excuse to ever miss a ride and I've found that I actually do extra workouts sometimes. What I mean is if I do an early run or a hard swim at lunch it's so easy to toss in a 20-30 minute hard effort to just kind of top off the day at night rather than settling for the day being over and packing it in. Awesome program, great customer service, good price, definitely recommend.
2014-05-21 7:30 AM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Originally posted by SSMinnow

CURRENT TRAINING: How do I answer this one? J I tore my meniscus in March while training for the Boston marathon, had surgery on April 15th and am slowly crawling my way back to fitness. I was cleared to bike outside, swim normally and start a run rehab program today. Fortunately, I had decided not to do an IM this year and will focus on a couple of short distance races and hopefully be somewhat ready for Nationals in August

Suzy, that's awesome news. I'm sure you must be psyched to be able to start getting back out there and get after it. Hope all of your rehab goes well and I bet you're back to form in no time!
2014-05-21 7:43 AM
in reply to: jonD81

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

Morning team;

No workout for me this morning, because I spent all my time updating the friends list, trying to figure out how to get this new Garmin 910 configured, and uploading to BT and Strava.   Garmin not on my happy list with this new Garmin Express.  IF YOU HAVE A GARMIN 910 or other wireless upload device --- DO NOT SWITCH to Garmin Express yet.  BT is still coding to support it.  Meanwhile, it only loads to Garmin Connect.   I tried downloading the ANT Agent and Garmin Communicator -- which is the way it 'used' to work, but now BT/Strava can only see my device, but won't load it!   UGH.    So for now, it's upload to Garmin Connect, and then export to BT.  Frustrations.

Meanwhile. Had a great therapeutic massage last night.  Got a LMT here that is a triathlete himself and focuses his practice on endurance athletes.  MAGIC.  Always feel much better after a session on his table, particularly since I'm old and grey, and these old bones rebel much more than they used to.

Planning a swim this evening.  Probably not a long one -- 1000-1500 yards is all.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 54

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 20279 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
comments : 0
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : August 17, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
37-year-old Bill Fults is an age-group triathlete. But by day he's an Air Flight Paramedic. He also spent the better part of a decade as an Army Ranger.
date : November 10, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 1
Which component group is right for you? Here are some differences on weight, performance and price between the Dura-Ace, Ultegra and 105 component groups.

date : April 2, 2006
author : mikericci
This summer, I am planning on doing three triathlons. What should my strategy be for training, tapering and resting during, before and after each race?
date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.