BT Development Mentor Program Archives » marymosc13's group THE V.A.M.P.S., FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2007-01-21 7:31 PM
in reply to: #662526

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ
Subject: RE: marymosc13's group THE V.A.M.P.S., FULL

Brachiator - 2007-01-21 5:47 PM I just got back from swimming and it was awesome (bet you'd never think I'd say that). I met up with anyother new bter and we swam together. Somehow, there is confidence in numbers. I used th ekickboard and the thing that goes betwoeen your legs to focus on my arm form. It was great and I now have a standing swm time every Sunday!

wow, i am so happy for you! that's great news. having someone to swim with will help alot! i'm proud of you and i knew you could do it! congrats!

2007-01-21 7:53 PM
in reply to: #630120

User image

Veteran
just wanted to drop a note as we are entering the last FULL week in January and tell ya'll to rest up!  a week from from thursday the challenge is ON.  we can hardly wait!
2007-01-21 8:13 PM
in reply to: #662672

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

mosc11 - 2007-01-21 8:53 PM just wanted to drop a note as we are entering the last FULL week in January and tell ya'll to rest up!  a week from from thursday the challenge is ON.  we can hardly wait!

don't listen to her. keep your momentum going and kick their butts do your best next week and into feb... the challenge will only enhance our already awesome minutes total! VAMPS rock!

2007-01-22 9:53 AM

User image

Regular

Brrr! I got to work this morning, and it was 43 degrees in the office (the heater broke over the weekend or something!) I think I am going to have to start doing jumping-jacks or something to keep warm today!!

I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend! Can't wait to hear about your results Crystal!!!  Can't wait to get started on our challenge either! Dh is applying for a new job today, it might be enough that I will only have to work part time if it works out as planned! Yeah! All the more time to train (and spend more time with my Chay of course!)

Have a wonderful day!

2007-01-22 3:50 PM

Brrrrr Becky, you are freezing and we are sweltering here in Australia. Hoping for a cool change tomorrow. I hope your DH gets the job.

Well, I started jogging in my walks yesterday. As I have mentioned before, I need to lose some weight so I have been hesitant to start actual running, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I have the couch-to-5k podcast on my ipod and it is great! It gives you running and walking intervals and some boppy music to get you revved up. You can get it at itunes,>podcasts>health>podcasts for running couch to 5k by Robert Ullrey. I am not affiliated in any way. There is 9 or 10 weeks so you can pick the intervals you are currently using unless you are an absolute newbie like me and start at week 1.

Otherwise, I bought a 30 pass entry to the pool. It was way cheaper than pay as you go. Next week I will have to be up earlier to swim coz the kids are back to school and I will have to be home by 7:30 from my swim.

I have figured out that I can't cycle and swim on the same day for logistical reasons. I will be doing that early in the morning before the kidlets and DH are awake, and do my walk/run in the evenings after dinner when DH is home from work. This has the extra bonus that I will not eat too much at dinner as running on a full stomach is not good. Ask me how I know. ;-)

What is everyone else doing to figure their training into their schedule? All tips are apppreciated.
Have a great week,

Michele
2007-01-22 4:44 PM

Regular
Lone Star State
Go Michele! That is awesome.

2007-01-22 7:06 PM
in reply to: #663924

User image

Regular
Pennsylvania
Michele that is great!!! So happy for you!
2007-01-23 8:19 AM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
(in my best cheerleader voice)

We got minutes, yes we do, we got minutes, how 'bout you???

C-A-R-O-L, Carol's team is really swell!!!! Go mosc11's team!!!

(OK, you guys are pretty swell too, but I gotta have some loyalty.) Can't wait for the challenge with your team!

Kristen
2007-01-23 8:33 AM
in reply to: #663138

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ
Nimefurahi - 2007-01-22 10:53 AM

Brrr! I got to work this morning, and it was 43 degrees in the office (the heater broke over the weekend or something!) I think I am going to have to start doing jumping-jacks or something to keep warm today!!

I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend! Can't wait to hear about your results Crystal!!!  Can't wait to get started on our challenge either! Dh is applying for a new job today, it might be enough that I will only have to work part time if it works out as planned! Yeah! All the more time to train (and spend more time with my Chay of course!)

Have a wonderful day!

hope they fixed the heat for ya! that's a plus about working from home - except there's no office assistant to make coffee or pick up lunch! let us know about your hubby's job b/c more time at home and training sounds wonderful!

2007-01-23 8:40 AM
in reply to: #663813

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

Michelet - 2007-01-22 4:50 PM Brrrrr Becky, you are freezing and we are sweltering here in Australia. Hoping for a cool change tomorrow. I hope your DH gets the job. Well, I started jogging in my walks yesterday. As I have mentioned before, I need to lose some weight so I have been hesitant to start actual running, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I have the couch-to-5k podcast on my ipod and it is great! It gives you running and walking intervals and some boppy music to get you revved up. You can get it at itunes,>podcasts>health>podcasts for running couch to 5k by Robert Ullrey. I am not affiliated in any way. There is 9 or 10 weeks so you can pick the intervals you are currently using unless you are an absolute newbie like me and start at week 1. Otherwise, I bought a 30 pass entry to the pool. It was way cheaper than pay as you go. Next week I will have to be up earlier to swim coz the kids are back to school and I will have to be home by 7:30 from my swim. I have figured out that I can't cycle and swim on the same day for logistical reasons. I will be doing that early in the morning before the kidlets and DH are awake, and do my walk/run in the evenings after dinner when DH is home from work. This has the extra bonus that I will not eat too much at dinner as running on a full stomach is not good. Ask me how I know. ;-) What is everyone else doing to figure their training into their schedule? All tips are apppreciated. Have a great week, Michele

hey Michele, great news. keep up the good work on your jog/walks. start slow and build up. there was a time not so long ago (July '06) when i couldn't run a mile and i just did 6.3 on sunday.

the best advice i can give for keeping to a training schedule is to really schedule it. treat it like a doctor's appointment or something you just WON'T miss. committ to the schedule - but try to keep an open mind because things do pop up that get in the way of training.

the podcast you mentioned sounds awesome - i finally bought some groovy iTunes for my iPod shuffle yesterday and i'm scheduled to run 3.5 miles this afternoon - i have an appointment with myself and my running shoes at 3pm!   

happy training!

2007-01-23 12:05 PM

Hello ladies. I am inspired by everyon'e success and accomplishments. I have been home for the last two days with an acute UTI, cold, and a fever of 102.
Saturday before I got it though I did a test for myself. I did a walk/jog on a treadmill, 2 incline and 4miles in 40 minutes. Then I rode a stantionary bike for 15 min (sucked at it) and then swam slowly but wam for 15 minutes. I stunk at everyhting past the walk/jog but I motivated I can do this. I am concentratign ong etting well so the FEburary keeps me healthy and us winning!!!!!

2007-01-23 3:20 PM
in reply to: #664890

User image

Regular

sut2burns - 2007-01-23 12:05 PM Hello ladies. I am inspired by everyon'e success and accomplishments. I have been home for the last two days with an acute UTI, cold, and a fever of 102. Saturday before I got it though I did a test for myself. I did a walk/jog on a treadmill, 2 incline and 4miles in 40 minutes. Then I rode a stantionary bike for 15 min (sucked at it) and then swam slowly but wam for 15 minutes. I stunk at everyhting past the walk/jog but I motivated I can do this. I am concentratign ong etting well so the FEburary keeps me healthy and us winning!!!!!

Way to go on the test! That's awesome! So sorry you are sick though! Seems there is alot of illness going around right now.  Hope you recover quickly and I also hope we can all stay healthy AND happy in February! And yes, of course winning!!

2007-01-23 4:47 PM
in reply to: #664890

User image

Regular
Pennsylvania
sut2burns - 2007-01-23 1:05 PM

Hello ladies. I am inspired by everyon'e success and accomplishments. I have been home for the last two days with an acute UTI, cold, and a fever of 102.
Saturday before I got it though I did a test for myself. I did a walk/jog on a treadmill, 2 incline and 4miles in 40 minutes. Then I rode a stantionary bike for 15 min (sucked at it) and then swam slowly but wam for 15 minutes. I stunk at everyhting past the walk/jog but I motivated I can do this. I am concentratign ong etting well so the FEburary keeps me healthy and us winning!!!!!

So sorry that you are ill, take your time getting well and keep in mind that you are in our thoughts (and prayers). Keep us posted chick...we miss you!!!!! Smiles!
2007-01-23 5:47 PM

Regular
Lone Star State
I am back to square one. My swim class has been cancelled. I only had one class (7 left). It took me forever to find a swim class. There are no local coaches that don't cost an arm and a leg.

At least I get a complete refund.
2007-01-23 8:16 PM
in reply to: #665522

User image

Regular
Pennsylvania
I LOVE this poem and thought I would share with you wonderful ladies!

Don’t Quit!
When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,
When the road you're trudging seems all uphill,
When the funds are low, and the debts are high,
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
When care is pressing you down a bit,
Rest if you must, but don't you quit.

Life is queer with its twists and turns,
As every one of us sometimes learns,
And many a failure turns about,
when he might have won had he stuck it out;
Don't give up though the pace seems slow,
You may succeed with another blow.

Success is failure turned inside out,
The silver tint of the clouds of doubt,
And you never can tell how close you are,
It may be near when it seems so far;
So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit,
It's when things seem worst, that
You Must Not Quit.

- C. W. Longenecker

2007-01-24 9:14 AM
in reply to: #665682

User image

Regular

Thanks for the poem Crystal! I like that one too!

Sarah, so sorry to hear about the swim class cancellation.  I hope you are able to find something else. It stinks, but you'll still be able to do it.  Could your teacher from the swim class recommend someone who might be able to give you some tips, etc.? Or maybe the lifeguards at the pool know someone. I used to teach swimming lessons to little kids, and I had some parents ask me to give them lessons as well. My coach also gave people my contact info. if they wanted lessons (adults) because he knew I loved to teach, and also knew my capabilities.  Do you have a local swim team? Maybe the coach of that would know someone. I never really charged that much because I loved it. They might also be willing to meet with you once a month to check up instead of every week if you prefer. I don't know if any of that will help, but best of luck to you! Hang in there!! You'll be swimmin' like a fish in no time!!

Have a great day everyone!

-Becky

2007-01-24 10:41 AM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ
great poem! great advice! you guys are really helping each other out so much and i'm happy to see it.
2007-01-24 11:05 AM

Regular
Lone Star State
I am heading to the local natatorium today to get information. It seems pricey: $35 for 30 minutes. Maybe I can do once a month and just work solo in between sessions.
2007-01-24 3:17 PM
in reply to: #666304

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

Brachiator - 2007-01-24 12:05 PM I am heading to the local natatorium today to get information. It seems pricey: $35 for 30 minutes. Maybe I can do once a month and just work solo in between sessions.

okay, new word learned for me: i had to google "natatorium" - so now i know what it is... yeah, 35 bucks a session does seem a little pricey... can you tell them its for your first triathlon and see if they give you a break? that's like a dollar something a minute! good luck!

2007-01-24 4:45 PM

Regular
Lone Star State
I went to swim this afternoon (jury duty let out early - employer doesn't need to know

The adult lap lanes were filled with preteens so I went to the leisure pool. The leisure pool is only 4ft deep and normally filled with families. There was an older man there whipping out the laps. I did my little kickboard routine and then started 'swimming'. When I took a break, he mentioned a couple tips. He asked me why I was trying to swim and I explained. He is a retired swim coach and spent the next 40 minutes giving me pointers. He said he is there that time every day (including weekends) and would give me tips as long as I welcomed them. This might be my new swim coach.

This pointer made me laugh: the less you weigh, the lighter you are and the better you swim. Ha!
2007-01-24 9:08 PM

User image

Veteran

that is wonderful news for you, i hope it all works out.

AWESOME, i LOVE the way life works sometimes! 

2007-01-25 7:36 AM
in reply to: #666850

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

Brachiator - 2007-01-24 5:45 PM I went to swim this afternoon (jury duty let out early - employer doesn't need to know The adult lap lanes were filled with preteens so I went to the leisure pool. The leisure pool is only 4ft deep and normally filled with families. There was an older man there whipping out the laps. I did my little kickboard routine and then started 'swimming'. When I took a break, he mentioned a couple tips. He asked me why I was trying to swim and I explained. He is a retired swim coach and spent the next 40 minutes giving me pointers. He said he is there that time every day (including weekends) and would give me tips as long as I welcomed them. This might be my new swim coach. This pointer made me laugh: the less you weigh, the lighter you are and the better you swim. Ha!

what the bossman don't know won't hurt him/her.

as for your helper: he is now going to be known (by me) as your "swim angel"... i believe the universe/higher power/god/allah/buddah/vishnu whoever you trust as the all-knowing all-being sent that man to you... free swim advice from a guy who's willing to spend 40 minutes giving you pointers - woo hoo!

2007-01-26 6:41 AM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

happy friday!

only 6 days left until we challenge my sister, (mosc11)  and her group to a total minutes challenge.

i hope everyone is doing well and ready to rack up the workout time!

2007-01-26 12:45 PM

Regular
Lone Star State
My husband noted yesterday as I was logging my workout that there was no activity listed for 'nookie'. He asked me how I was going to categorize that! it cracked me up. Then he dug the whole deeper with cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc. (he was mostly kidding).
2007-01-27 3:46 PM
in reply to: #669094

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

Brachiator - 2007-01-26 1:45 PM My husband noted yesterday as I was logging my workout that there was no activity listed for 'nookie'. He asked me how I was going to categorize that! it cracked me up. Then he dug the whole deeper with cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc. (he was mostly kidding).

i've always thought you could log it under "dancing" - don't some people refer to it as "the horizontal mambo?"

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » marymosc13's group THE V.A.M.P.S., FULL Rss Feed  

of 17