Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2007-05-23 12:12 PM
in reply to: #801361

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Rich Miller's Group - FULL
What questions do you have about the swimming? FYI, I will editing out from the thread my video of me demonstrating my swimming (shamu) technique after tomorrow (Thursday 5/24). If you have not seen it and want to see it, times a tickin!

Rich

2007-05-23 1:06 PM

User image

Houston
Now this is a topic I know lots about!!!

White Castle... haha funny story When my roommate and I went to NYC last June he made the Taxi stop so we could get out and he could try one and get a picture of it !! He had never been up north before. I inturn took a picture of me pretetending to get sick in their trash can!! hahaha
my fav binge food would be Taco bell!!!!! and McDonalds are a very tight second.
2007-05-23 1:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Oh yeah, I guess it is a regional thing. The gingle is playing in my head now... "Nobody bakes a cake as tasty as a Tastycake"...

I won't post a link because that would be bad for our eating goals -- but my favorites are butterscotch krimpets (a light butterscotch cake with butterscotch cream icing) and peanut butter candykakes (a cake with a spread of peanut butter icing, then covered in chocolate). Each pack comes with 2 or 3 little cakes.

Rich, I would like to know more about the correct under water portion of the stroke. I've done a couple of swim clinics and people have said my form looks good, but I wonder if I'm pulling correctly.
2007-05-23 3:51 PM
in reply to: #813782

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Rich, I would like to know more about the correct under water portion of the stroke. I've done a couple of swim clinics and people have said my form looks good, but I wonder if I'm pulling correctly.

I'm attaching the video for you to reference. I think the first important part of the pull is what they refer to as the "catch". When your hand goes into the water, immediately point your fingers to the bottom of the pool and then pull your body.

http://www.cruciblefitness.com/Files/Swim/Apr07/Rich.wmv

I think there are three drills:

1) "No hands" drills: Instead of swimming with an open hand, clench your hand into a fist. Now swim. (This will be hard). Try 50 yds. Then open your hands and accent the catch (pointing your fingers to the bottom of the pool.

2) "Over the barrel" drills: As you are swimming, think about trying to get your arm over a barrel so your hands can reach the water.

3) "Ladder pull" drills: As you are swimming, think about climbing a ladder

The other thing I might mention is that when I pull down the side of my upper body, I only go to my waist and no lower. I try to keep my fingers still pointing down towards the bottom of the pool.
2007-05-23 4:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Training Log Review
You are all working it!

Here is some feedback and at the end I want you to consider something.....(no cheating....you have to read everything instead of jumping to the bottomw ..... Saw ya look!!!!)

Andi: Good job on your TNT Swim workout. 18 strokes per 25 is excellent. Keep on working with your coaches. Good job on the 3 stroke breathing technique. (GOLD STAR!!!)

Derek: Good! You're getting out on the bike! Keep it up!

Kat: Happy Anniversary again! Loved your post in your Training Log! Good 30 minute run. See if you cannot find a similar route that simulates your upcoming race and train on it.

Christine: Good attempt at the swim. It was a good call on your part to abandon the swim when conflict arose in the pool. You're right! You don't need it! Hopefully you ran after the swim to get rid of the frustration.

Caru: Workouts look good! Spin class sounds like you got a good one. How was your swim form/technique on Monday?

Angela: Take it easy and slowly return to training when you are feeling better. Stomach viruses can be just plain nasty. Hope you are feeling better!

Barb: Wow! You are having a difficult time with your sunburn. Can I suggest something that I do when I get burned like that. Take a paper towel or a wash cloth and drench it in white distilled vinegar. The vinegar will take out or remove any pain due to the sunburn. Because you are peeling, you are exposing brand new skin. Make sure to cover up so that you don't burn even more. I feel your pain!!!!

I want you to think about this weekend and into next week (except for Andi.....Andi, please follow the instructions of the TNT coaches. I don't want to give conflicting assignments.) Think about which of the three areas is your weakest sport. Starting this weekend and through the next week, I want you to put more emphasis in that area. How? Your workouts in that discipline should be harder than the others and perhaps you can get one or two additional workouts in on that particular discipline.

As an example: Here of a plan (OK .... what I'm planning on doing). Focus is Cycling and hills to build strength and climbing.

Wednesday Night Brick - Cycling (hills) and run (hills)
Thursday Night - Long Run (2 hours - hills and rollers)
Friday - Swim (3000)
Saturday - Cycling - 90 Miles
Sunday - Cycling - 50 Miles
Monday - Run 6 to 8 Miles
Tuesday - REST
Wednesday - Cycling 20 to 30 miles (Steep hills)

Let me know what questions you have or if you need help with building a plan for the next week.

Rich
2007-05-23 4:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Miami
totally up for the challenge!!! What I am going to personally do is try and swim 5 times a week. I think that just being in the water has helped me a lot. I wont over do it. Just a little hard drills one day, simple swim the next.
Thank you Cris for the question, I was totally trying to think about the technique and my hands was a question I also had. I watched your Video RicH Like 10000 times. you do Something with your hand as its coming towards your hip and its a quick movement end of the stroke.

I am trying those exercises with my hands tonight, they will help a bunch I think!!!
Also, i signed up to a program with "body zen" here in Miami. They coach you trhough the summer- joined it because I heard their swimming clinic is awesome, and they train on saturdays. THough having a group would be good.
Thanks for all your Support as always Rich!!! your suggestions are always right on!!

2007-05-23 5:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Miami
CLARIFICATION:
I will still run, cycle interchangeable plus light swim when I do those in the morning hope that made sense-
Basically....doing what u suggest just switching cycle into swimming!!!! sorry !!!!
2007-05-23 5:05 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago

Oooooh....my guilty pleasures...I'm a sucker for Einstein Bagel Sandwiches after a long run on Saturday morning. Nothing hits the spot quite like a Turkey Sausage Omelet Sandwich on an Asiago Bagel. I'm drooling just thinking about it. So that...and cookies. Any type of cookies. I'm convinced I was the cookie monster in a past life.

And I'm definitely up for the challenge over the next week...looks like I'll be focusing on the bike, eh? Lucky for me the weather is nice...so perhaps I'll even try to fit a long ride in. Our agency is closed on both Friday and Monday, so I'm hoping to get a brick or two in the mix. Maybe even my first OWS depending on how chilly Lake Michigan is.

2007-05-23 5:34 PM
in reply to: #814251

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Caru! Don't copy the end movement at the end of the stroke. That was the only thing that the swim clinic coach picked up on that I could possibly correct, but probably would not be worth the time or effort. Make it simple..... just your arm and hand pull all the way back.

You have watched that video 10,000 times to pick that little nuiance up. LOL!

Rich
2007-05-23 5:39 PM
in reply to: #814271

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Goooooo Barb!

You wrote:
"And I'm definitely up for the challenge over the next week...looks like I'll be focusing on the bike, eh? Lucky for me the weather is nice...so perhaps I'll even try to fit a long ride in. Our agency is closed on both Friday and Monday, so I'm hoping to get a brick or two in the mix. Maybe even my first OWS depending on how chilly Lake Michigan is."

This will be a GREAT weekend for bike riding..... long weekend with lots of time for recovery. The club I belong to is sponsoring a 100/200 mile training weekend with awards and raffles for SWAG from our sponsors. Lot of pedal time!

Rich

2007-05-23 8:05 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

My guilty pleasure is Mexican food...anything cheesy!  Nachos, enhilados, burritos, fish tacos, soft tacos, hard shell tacos...yummy!  Fort Worth has lots of good choices for Mexican cuisine.

Okay, Rich, I like a challenge.  I've really been concentrating on my swim endurance, and I actually felt like I could be a swimmer today in the pool!  It was a good feeling.  I do want to get on my bike a little more too.  Husband found a problem with my forks so I'll have to spin at the gym until he fixes it for me...his time frame and mine aren't the same!  LOL

Angela

2007-05-24 7:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Miami
guilty pleasure: cheese!!!!

A nuisance like the one in your video can mean, winning a case in court, or losing a case!
2007-05-24 8:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Okay. So my plan for the next week or two is to focus more on running. I have to listen to my body because I got shin splints in the beginning when I over-did it; but I will try for 4 miles 2x a week and then some smaller runs.

Biking is good. Will find a 15 mile flatter loop to focus on speed (that's the distance and terrain of my race June 23). Doing a very hilly 30 miles today after work.

Swimming is good. Keep working on improving technique and longer distances. I swam 1 mile this morning before work and I could have done more! I think that's a good sign.

My overall plan:
2 more weeks of 6x week training
Going to Mexico 2 weeks from today -- will start my gradual taper then
Week before race day; 2nd OWS clinic
June 23 -- RACE DAY! (Did I mention the level of anxiety that wells up when I think about ACTUALLY being there and ACTUALLY doing this?!? ;-)
July 15 -- American Cancer Society ride -- 63 or 100 miles (I MAY try to shoot for my first century)

Rich -- should I rest a bit the week after the race?

Then begin training for Steelman -- August 12

So, what do you think, Rich?

Thanks! Christine
2007-05-24 9:51 AM

User image

Houston
ok a challange.

I have two swim meets coming up on the 10th and the 16th so I can swim in nationals in Aug.
First tri July 1st.
Now that school is over and I finally have daylight.

I need to do these things in the next week.
Break in the bike a bit more. 3 rides this week.
Swim every day starting Sat. at least 2000 each time.
Add another mile to my run. 3 runs this week.

2007-05-24 11:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

OK...so here's my plan for the next week or so to work on running and cycling since I'd like to improve both: I'm going to continue to follow my planned workouts, but on the cycling days, I'm going to try to work in some additional hill work and some sprints.  For example, on the ride that I'm planning to do this evening, there is a pretty significant hill.  I'll ride that hill three times tonight and then continue the ride. On my long ride on Saturday, I'll take a longer easy warm-up, include some hard riding in the middle, and then a longer cool down - probably add 8 miles to what I had planned.  Also, after each of my rides, I'll include a short run, say 2-3 miles, nice and easy to get some additional running time under my belt.  That should add two additional short runs to my week, bringing my total runs to 5 in a week. 

For my runs, I currently have a short, a medium, and a long run planned for each week.  Adding in two more short, easy runs after my bikes, I'll have my short run be a time trial for a 5K, my medium run be on trails, and my long run be at a comfortable pace.

How does that sound?

2007-05-24 1:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Rich must be sleeping in late... he he he ... we're all waiting to hear from him.

Or maybe it's that West Coast life-style.

2007-05-24 2:13 PM

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Geez, I'm gone on business for a few days and there are two new pages of comments on here. I just can't keep up with you guys!

Ok, let's see if I remember some of the questions I just read:

Have I ever seen/done a tri: Nope.
Favorite food: Crab legs and artichokes. (If you have seen the new purple kind, I HIGHLY recommend it. It has even more anti-oxidents in it, and tastes doubly yummy!). Of course, those two things MUST go along with butter.

Rich, thanks for reading my training log. It's nice to know "big brother" is watching, you are holding me accountable and I like that!

I don't have much time to post many comments on here (if you haven't figured that out already), but I am making a huge effort to keep up on my triathlon training blog. Feel free to check it out, everyone!

http://energyunplugged.blogspot.com

Gotta run (aka get back to work!).
2007-05-24 2:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Miami
That's so funny and true!!! Rich should be in lunch time soon right?

GosH, i guess I will run. All of you have such awesome plans for the weekend! I am headed to dallas-then -st louis this weekend, so I will be stuck in a car for a long time!My friends in st louis are triathletes so I can't waiiittt to pick their brains!!!
I'll take my bathing suit and sneakers, and will totalyl try to persuade them to do a swim run swim competition camp? right?
2007-05-24 2:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Andi, Read your blog and it WAS a bike ride. Good for you! I LOL at the hill part of the story because I ride mostly here in Bucks County, PA -- you can't go anywhere without hitting a hill.

Caru, Good luck with your trip! Hope you can fit some kind of workout in. You will feel better about traveling if you do.

We are going out to my Dad's this weekend (3 1/2 hours away). He has a lake and a river near him...I think I'm bringing my wetsuit...See if I can talk anyone into spotting for me in one of Dad's kayaks.
2007-05-24 3:11 PM
in reply to: #814802

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Caru! I guess I'm guilty????? Dooooohhhhh! What's my sentence? 1000 more yards? Teeheeeee!

Rich

carustol - 2007-05-24 7:54 AM

guilty pleasure: cheese!!!!

A nuisance like the one in your video can mean, winning a case in court, or losing a case!
2007-05-24 3:22 PM
in reply to: #814868

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Christine!

Your plan is sounding good! See my comments below!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Okay. So my plan for the next week or two is to focus more on running.

From Rich: Watch out for the shin splints. Warm-up a lot! Stand on one foot, raise the other leg so your foot is free and rotate the free foot so that you are stretching and warming up the ankle. If your shins start hurting, STOP! Check the tightness of your shoes. You may be lacing the shoes too tightly. I use Yankz instead of conventional shoelaces. Quick for transitions and easy to adjust. (Just my preference!)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Biking is good. Will find a 15 mile flatter loop to focus on speed (that's the distance and terrain of my race June 23). Doing a very hilly 30 miles today after work.

Good Plan, Christine! The first time around, time yourself to get a basic understanding of where you are! Try riding the loop with your small front ring and your large front ring. Although controversal, I did my entire 60 mile ride on Saturday in my big ring! Was pushin the heavy ring!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Swimming is good. Keep working on improving technique and longer distances. I swam 1 mile this morning before work and I could have done more! I think that's a good sign.

OUTSTANDING! Good Job! If it is becoming easier, you are probably improving on technique and endurance. The fact that you could have done more is a good sign!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My overall plan:
2 more weeks of 6x week training
Going to Mexico 2 weeks from today -- will start my gradual taper then
Week before race day; 2nd OWS clinic
June 23 -- RACE DAY! (Did I mention the level of anxiety that wells up when I think about ACTUALLY being there and ACTUALLY doing this?!? ;-)
July 15 -- American Cancer Society ride -- 63 or 100 miles (I MAY try to shoot for my first century)

Plan looks like it should be good! Make sure to take your running gear to Mexico along with your swim goggles! You might be able to get an OWS in, too!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rich -- should I rest a bit the week after the race?

Sprints and Oly distances I usually rest the day to two day before. I will do a 15 minute swim, 15 minute ride and a 15 minute run to just remind the muscles what to do, especially if you have to travel.

Then begin training for Steelman -- August 12

Take a day or two off after your first race and then gradually start back up on your training. I typically start with the swim because it gives one additional day to rest the legs from either pounding on the cement or pounding on the pedals!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, what do you think, Rich?

You should be in good shape!

Thanks! Christine

2007-05-24 3:26 PM
in reply to: #815043

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Derek!

GREAT! You can now start training in ernest. I know trying to balance your teaching/coaching is a trick! Sounds good about breaking in the bike. Looking forward to how you do! I'll look forward to also seeing your running info in your training log! Obviously, I'm not concerned about your swimming! RELAY anyone? I know someone that could do the swim without a problem! :p

Rich

dzerb31 - 2007-05-24 9:51 AM

ok a challange.

I have two swim meets coming up on the 10th and the 16th so I can swim in nationals in Aug.
First tri July 1st.
Now that school is over and I finally have daylight.

I need to do these things in the next week.
Break in the bike a bit more. 3 rides this week.
Swim every day starting Sat. at least 2000 each time.
Add another mile to my run. 3 runs this week.

2007-05-24 3:41 PM
in reply to: #815219

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hi, Katz! Hope all is well today!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK...so here's my plan for the next week or so to work on running and cycling since I'd like to improve both:

Good paln to work on both!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm going to continue to follow my planned workouts, but on the cycling days, I'm going to try to work in some additional hill work and some sprints.  For example, on the ride that I'm planning to do this evening, there is a pretty significant hill.  I'll ride that hill three times tonight and then continue the ride. 

Hill repeats are good! I like how you are sticking to your plan, but also adding a degree of difficulty! That will be an excellent workout!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On my long ride on Saturday, I'll take a longer easy warm-up, include some hard riding in the middle, and then a longer cool down - probably add 8 miles to what I had planned.  Also, after each of my rides, I'll include a short run, say 2-3 miles, nice and easy to get some additional running time under my belt.  That should add two additional short runs to my week, bringing my total runs to 5 in a week. 

I will be honest with you. The first time I did the runs after my Saturday ride....HATED IT!!!! But, then I started seeing the results. Don't push the run....it is simply to train the legs that you will call upon them after hammering on the bike. Your perceived effort should be a 2 or 3. Nice and easy jog!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For my runs, I currently have a short, a medium, and a long run planned for each week.  Adding in two more short, easy runs after my bikes, I'll have my short run be a time trial for a 5K, my medium run be on trails, and my long run be at a comfortable pace.

Good! Do you know what strides are? On your long run (if longer than 60 minutes), incorporate strides into the workout. 30 to 45 seconds, 4 to 5 minute original pace x 3. I usually introduce strides 30 minutes into my run when I'm really warmed up.

Keep us posted on how you are doing! I like your degree of difficulty that you are adding to your workouts! Good Job!
2007-05-24 3:43 PM
in reply to: #815647

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Welcome back, Andi!

Crab legs and articokes! Hmmmmm gotta try that!

Rich
2007-05-24 3:47 PM
in reply to: #815649

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Christine and Caru:

If you call getting out of bed at 4:30 AM and clipping into my bike pedals "sleeping in" than you are more warped than I am! Teeeeheeeeteeeheee :p Got an extra bike ride into the office (65 miles one way!) I'll be leaving the office in about 20 minutes to ride back..... I know.... I can hear ya know just commenting on how lazy I am! LOL!

Enjoy your trips! Be safe!

Christine: Definitely take your wetsuit. What an opportunity for an OWS and to incorporate family into helping you on your training!

Caru: Instead of sitting in the car, run behind it or ride your bike behind the car (drafting). :p

Again, BE SAFE!!!!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Rich Miller's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 46