General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Deanna Babcock - Thoughts and Prayers Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2007-08-06 8:36 AM
in reply to: #898191

Veteran
Subject: RE: Deanna Babcock - Thoughts and Prayers
It warms my heart everytime i read the new posts on this thread. We're all praying and cheerin ya on Deanna!! Stay strong girl!

2007-08-06 11:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rocklin
My wife and I have been following this thread since its inception...please know that we are sending our positive healing vibes from Norhern California!!! We look forward to reading the first post in Deanna's training blog.

It just pumps us all up to hear about Deanna's strong fighting spirit, and incredible recovery.
2007-08-06 11:12 AM

Expert
Very good news. Make sure the donation site has a 'PayPal' link, it will make it very easy to contribute.
2007-08-06 11:39 AM

User image

Regular
Hi, I am so excited for Deanna's progress. I have been thinking about Deanna non-stop, talking about her to people not even in the tri world about her AND taking moments out of my day to send another prayer. Think about how many lives that Deanna has touched AND changed us to be a smarter triathetles! I can't help about thinking about Deanna's swim and now changed my ways so that I am going to train smarter, listen to my body better, stay more hydrated and when caught in a mommy/triathetle moment and feel guilt for needing to be with my 2 girls AND to train, my girls definetly come first....i will get that last run in AFTER I put the girls down to bed. Between Deanna and the bridge collapsing in Minneapolis (where I work), I am looking at things a bit different. More prayers to come!!
2007-08-06 1:22 PM

Extreme Veteran
Northern California

Life is too short, love lasts forever.  Be sure to tell the people you love how much you love them every day.

Dear Lord,
Thank you for helping Deanna survive and heal.  Please God, bless Deanna and her friends and family, and continue to give Deanna strength as she fights to recover.  Please give strength to her family and friends so that they may continue to support and help Deanna with whatever she needs.  And please God, give the doctors wisdom and help them as they continue to care for Deanna.

In Jesus' name I pray

amen. 

2007-08-06 1:27 PM

User image

Regular
Ditto (and AMEN!)

2007-08-06 1:53 PM

User image

Thank you! Ditto, and AMEN!
2007-08-06 2:34 PM
in reply to: #915058

NC
bshehan - 2007-08-06 2:22 PM

Life is too short, love lasts forever.  Be sure to tell the people you love how much you love them every day.

Dear Lord,
Thank you for helping Deanna survive and heal.  Please God, bless Deanna and her friends and family, and continue to give Deanna strength as she fights to recover.  Please give strength to her family and friends so that they may continue to support and help Deanna with whatever she needs.  And please God, give the doctors wisdom and help them as they continue to care for Deanna.

In Jesus' name I pray

amen. 

Well said! Ditto to that! And thanks Crazy Aunt Cheryl for the updates. It is part of my daily ritual now. Hopefully one day I can meet Deanna at a tri here in good old NC. Deanna you amaze me with your progress and motivate me to train when I am feeling lazy. Good vibes and prayers sent your way!
2007-08-06 3:03 PM

holy cow .. I just found this thread and have been spell-bound the past hour reading it all .. amazing girl, amazing story .. makes me thankful for every small gift in life and I am truly inspired and Deanna will be in my thoughts for sure as I continue my triathlon training.
2007-08-06 5:01 PM
in reply to: #915280

Raleigh
Hey everyone, unfortunately, the roller coaster effect is back. Deanna
had a down night last night and this wouldn't be the best time for a lot
of visitors. It does look more likely that Deanna will be placed on a
AICD, automatic internal cardiac defibrillator in about 2-3 weeks after
everything else has cleared up. The heart trouble we were all hoping she
didn't have, looks to be present. This is simply a fancy pacemaker.
It may not be the best time for everyone to visit because she was told
about her leg last night. The overnight nurse broke the news to
Deanna. She seems worn out and upset today, which is very
understandable. At the 1 pm visiting hours, her grandfather and I got
a wave hello and then she motioned for us to leave. I think she just
needs some time alone for everything to soak in.
Also today, she had a special procedure to replace the tube in her
jugular vein for the dialysis. With all this news, procedures, and
fatigue from breathing without a respirator for long periods of time,
she's just plain tired out and upset. This is one of the dips in the
recovery period, but hopefully she will be back soon. Keep Deanna in
your prayers to give her strength during this very difficult period for
her.

-Chris
2007-08-06 5:08 PM
in reply to: #915487

Raleigh
Wow, I was at church yesterday and I was silently praying for Deanna when
someone 3 rows back started praying out loud for her. How cool is that!

Deanna, we are ALL cheering for you!
I know it's going to be rocky for awhile, but I have faith in you that this
will make you an even stronger human being. You are my hero!!!!

2007-08-06 5:12 PM

User image

Regular
Deanna,
We are all here for you and will be by your side (your cyber-side and in heart for those that don't live near you).
2007-08-07 8:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frome, (Nr Bath) Somerset
I've just seen this thread for the first time.

I'm devasted to hear of what Deanna is going through and what has happened to her but delighted and amazed by how courageous she is being.

I'm sure this will be a long jouney for her, her family and her friends. It also sounds like she has some truly wonderful people surrounding her and in that respect she is incredibly lucky. Your love and support will be a major factor in her recovery and long term recuperation, you are also doing a great job.

My thoughts are with you all, and especially Deanna, I hope she can remain brave and maintain her fighting spirit through this time. I wish her lots of luck and will be thinking of her, if I could bottle and send a great big hug it would be on its way right now.

Best wishes Deanna.

Jess
xxxx

2007-08-07 8:34 AM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
I know that this is a small down in the many ups that Deanna will have during her recovery.  I am thinking about her and all of you .  Keep strong.  You have so many people behind you sending positive thoughts and prayers your way.
2007-08-07 8:39 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

Obviously, I need to quit my whining...

Deanna's courage and strength thus far is nothing less than inspiring. I am cheering her on and know that she'll come out the other side even more beautiful than before.

2007-08-07 9:23 AM

User image

Master
South Florida
The emotional part for Deanna will probably be tougher for a while than the physical part...it's a loss for her.   It's something none of us can imagine.  From what I have read about this woman, however, she is tough and will get through this with flying colors.  In time.  And with the help of all those that love her.  I continue to pray for this woman daily, sometimes hourly as she pops into my head.  Thank you so much for sharing her story with us.

2007-08-07 10:22 AM

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado

Deanna is on a long journey that will have hills and valleys, physical and emotional.  I pray that this recent emotional dip does not last long. 

Has anyone from Deanna's family or team/coach reached out to Sarah Reinertsen www.alwaystri.net ?  As a triathlete, Deanna would probably know who she is--the first female above-the-knee amputee to complete Kona.  Perhaps Sarah could serve as an inspiration for Deanna? 

2007-08-07 10:25 AM

User image

Hi All
Dee is fighting off pneumonia right now but her white count has
already dropped by 50% and this is a good sign. Her Dr. is talking about
rehab and the visit from a psychiatrist that will help us and Dee. She is
quite quiet today and they will also do some dialysis today.
She is such a fighter and the outpouring from all over the country is
just amazing it gives me strength every day.
Deb (Deanna's mother)
2007-08-07 10:33 AM
in reply to: #916282

User image

Regular
Deb and Crazy Aunt Cheryl, the prayers are for you as well to keep up your strength and courage. As a mother, (my 2 daughters are still being little), I can not even begin to imagine the emotions you must be going through, needing to be strong for your daughter and wanting to take all that pain and grief away so she doesn't need to feel it... (The love and pain of just being a mother of someone not in Deanna's state is a rollercoaster on a daily basis is a challenge enough)
Don't forget about your health and emotional well-being as well. Deanna needs the whole family to be heatlhy to help her get healthy.

Hugs and prayers.
2007-08-07 12:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Western MA

Here I am, brooding about how bad of a workout I had last night, and I came in to work today and the first thing I did was read this thread.  I feel very ashamed of myself - there are so many other things that are more important in life, and I should look at the big picture more often.  My heart hurts for her, just imagining how she must feel right now.  I'm sending healing thoughts her way, as well as for her amazing family and friends.

2007-08-07 4:43 PM
in reply to: #916274

User image

Pro
Evanston,
swgtri - 2007-08-07 10:22 AM

Deanna is on a long journey that will have hills and valleys, physical and emotional.  I pray that this recent emotional dip does not last long. 

Has anyone from Deanna's family or team/coach reached out to Sarah Reinertsen www.alwaystri.net ?  As a triathlete, Deanna would probably know who she is--the first female above-the-knee amputee to complete Kona.  Perhaps Sarah could serve as an inspiration for Deanna? 

I'm pretty sure via another source that Sarah has sent a card or photo already.  It would be GREAT if Sarah can be a resource for Deanna when she's ready to tackle this.  But Mimi is right about the loss.  It's huge, not something she will just bounce out of.   There's "a time to grieve," and she'll need that time, even after an otherwise-full recovery.

2007-08-07 4:54 PM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Ok. I'm not very good at expressing myself. Many times, when it comes to situations like this, I refer to others who can do it so much more eloquently. Now, call me cheesy, but I hope the family finds a little solace in these words as well as the notes left on this board.

Originally written by Rogers and Hammerstien for the musical Carousel.

When you walk through a storm, hold your head up high

And don't be afraid of the dark.

At the end of the storm there's a golden sky

And the sweet, silver song of a lark.

Walk on through the wind, walk on through the rain,

Though your dreams be tossed and blown.

Walk on, walk on with hope in your heart,

And you'll never walk alone.

You'll never walk alone.

Walk on, walk on with hope in your heart,

And you'll never walk alone.

You'll ne-ever walk alone.

I hope Deanna knows that she and her family will never walk alone.

2007-08-07 9:12 PM
in reply to: #915058

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
bshehan - 2007-08-06 1:22 PM

Dear Lord,

In Jesus' name I pray

amen. 

Grace...Peace...Comfort...

2007-08-07 10:16 PM
in reply to: #915487

User image

Elite
Chicago, IL

TRIPLETS - 2007-08-06 5:01 PM Hey everyone, unfortunately, the roller coaster effect is back. Deanna had a down night last night and this wouldn't be the best time for a lot of visitors. It does look more likely that Deanna will be placed on a AICD, automatic internal cardiac defibrillator in about 2-3 weeks after everything else has cleared up. The heart trouble we were all hoping she didn't have, looks to be present. This is simply a fancy pacemaker. It may not be the best time for everyone to visit because she was told about her leg last night. The overnight nurse broke the news to Deanna. She seems worn out and upset today, which is very understandable. At the 1 pm visiting hours, her grandfather and I got a wave hello and then she motioned for us to leave. I think she just needs some time alone for everything to soak in. Also today, she had a special procedure to replace the tube in her jugular vein for the dialysis. With all this news, procedures, and fatigue from breathing without a respirator for long periods of time, she's just plain tired out and upset. This is one of the dips in the recovery period, but hopefully she will be back soon. Keep Deanna in your prayers to give her strength during this very difficult period for her. -Chris

awww... this breaks my heart.... her being told of her leg   I wish I could be there with her and hug her and tell her her one leg will be fine.  It will be stronger than most people's 2 legs... and there are so many good prosthetic's today, that she will no doubt conquer this loss.

Seriously, tell her that we are all thinking of her... and we are going to find her the best leg... the prettiest prosthetic leg in the business.  One that shines her name with all her courage and one that carries her across the finish line every time... just like she is doing every single day.

Please tell her that the strangers of all strangers... good peeps around  the country are pulling for her.  Tell her we love her, and we know she can get through this

Edited by pigfinn 2007-08-07 10:24 PM
2007-08-08 6:45 AM

User image

DEANNA -- WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 8
Good morning,
Yesterday had positive notes and negative notes for Deanna's
recovery.
During dialysis yesterday, the port implanted yesterday for this
purpose clogged. They were able to clean 500 mL's of blood through
dialysis, but this is not enough. Deanna will have to have another
tube inserted today and continue her dialysis. On a more positive
note, her kidneys did seem to start to function to a small degree,
producing 150 mLs of urine. This is a smaller amount than the doctors
want (about 20 mLs every 2 hours), but they are beginning to function
on their own.
Not much more to report besides these facts. Yesterday, she was
simply
tuckered out after being off the respirator and having so much
commotion the previous two days. She was also groggy because of the
drip and pain medication patch they had her on. She was responsive in
between naps.
Today (8/8), they are thinking about getting her to sit up to help
the
pneumonia that she has developed. The good news about the pneumonia is
that her white blood cell count dropped from 30,000 to 16,000 in 24
hours on a general antibiotic. The doctors are culturing cells from
her lungs to see if they need a more specialized antibiotic. The
blessing in disguise with pneumonia is that it came at a time when
Deanna is much stronger. If this had hit a week or 10 days ago, it
would have been much more severe.
The doctors are also talking about getting a counselor to see her
about
her loss of limb. They believe that Deanna will go though the seven
stages of loss, just as one would go though over the loss of a family
member. They think the sooner they can help her though this, the
better. Lastly, I think the one thing I brought out of the counseling
session here at NC State is that we have to grieve with Deanna when
she's ready. We cannot quickly go though to the positive news and "Oh,
Deanna, you'll be up and running in no time". There will be a time for
this, but we simply have to grieve with her over her loss and tragedy.
We have all had 19 days to accept these facts, but she is just learning
about all of them. As always, keep her in your thoughts and prayers,
we all hope to see her back in the soil science department soon.

-Chris

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Deanna Babcock - Thoughts and Prayers Rss Feed  

of 22