BT Development Mentor Program Archives » PeterAK's Group: THIS TREEHOUSE IS FULL!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2007-12-27 8:08 PM
in reply to: #1094997

User image

Elite
In The Peleton
Subject: RE: PeterAK's Group: THIS TREEHOUSE IS FULL!!!
5 a.m. just ain't happenin for me.  If I get up that early I'm worthless by mid afternoon.  When I have kids I'm sure that the mornings will be a different story, but for now, I am going to embrace my body's natural sleep schedule.  

2007-12-30 9:03 AM

User image

Master
Living in the past

Can't wait for Jan 1....we fell all the way to page 2!

2007-12-30 11:05 AM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton

Alright Jeff!!! It's almost 2008. It's go time kids!

How were the holidays for everyone? Weight gain? Loss? Enjoy time off (like me!)? Get some good workouts in? Injury updates?

Let's hear the good and the bad!

I had eight days without a single workout that finally ended yesterday with a good computrainer ride.  I admit it.  I really liked being lazy for a bit, and while I didn't miss working out too much, I am getting anxious to be on track for some good races this year which are coming up in just over 120 days!  I've got a bit of an X factor in my race schedule this year, as I'm getting married in '08 but we don't have a date yet.  I suppose that means I should get back to researching reception venues and caterers! 

Edited by PeterAK 2007-12-30 11:08 AM
2007-12-30 6:14 PM
in reply to: #1122775

User image

Veteran
San Antonio
Congrats on the wedding and as for the planning....trust me, let the bride-to-be make the decisions and learn to say, "Yes, dear. Sounds great!"

Holidays....really did not feel like celebrating too much given our family situation this year, but made the best of it. I actually lost 3 pounds and managed to get in fairly consistent workouts. I have been feeling extremely fatigued the past couple of days, so I took yesterday and today off, although I really feel like running tonight.

I'll get back into the swing of things tomorrow with a 6am swim and a run sometime in the day.

Here is to a great 08!
2007-12-30 7:55 PM

User image

Master
Living in the past
PeterAK - 2007-12-30 11:05 AM

How were the holidays for everyone? Weight gain? Loss? Enjoy time off (like me!)? Get some good workouts in? Injury updates?

Yippeee! Here we go, troops.

Holidays were good at this end...folks and brother were in town. Due to issues at work, actually put in some time on Christmas Eve and Day. Since then, been family time and training. I have been pleased with the training, as I have been following a BT Oly plan for about the last 6 weeks, a 3x mix of each discipline per week. The "drainer" work has been good, as has the running. Minor knee/hip pain has been resolving with PT and is pretty much a non-issue.

Concerning weight gain/loss, as a friend of mine says, "I netted out"...calories in = calories expended. In truth, I'm a little disappointed in my current weight status. I've been training pretty regularly and if you believe my HR monitor, averaging about 600 Kcal/workout, so to 'net out', I've been consuming 600 Kcal/day more than my caloric needs at my target weight of about 190 lb. Too many Hersey's Kiss/peanut butter cookies...

I saw it mentioned in another thread, a diet by Charmichael Training Systems? that is tuned to target weight and exercise level. I am committed to starting this thing in early Jan. I better start seeing progress on this front or I'm going to have to beat the crap out of myself....

Anyway...it's been a good couple of weeks since we got the momentum started on this mentor thread. I'm psyched to get this going regularly.

And oh, BTW, congrats on all that gettin' married thing....blah, blah, blah....

But seriously, it's a cool thing and I enjoyed meeting your bride-to-be. She was a pleasure to talk with and I see marital bliss in your future...you have the deferral/"yes dear" thing down pat.

Edited by Force 2007-12-30 8:03 PM
2007-12-30 10:28 PM

Quiet Christmas with just my wife and kids at home - neither of us have family near by.  Then the next day we drove to Columbus, OH to visit some very good friends of ours.  Lots of fun, beer, martinis, food, and more fun.  Ran a couple of times on a really messed up knee.  I couldn't even extend it or walk up and down stairs w/ out lots of pain.  Then when in OH my friend and I went on a short run a loud "pop" and it felt lots better.  Ran without limping the rest of the time.  Then just this morning the little bit of pain I had remaining vanished with another small "pop."  I have NO IDEA how it got that way or why it got better the way it did. 

I have no idea about weight gain / loss but my new smaller jeans fit looser than before.

2007-12-31 2:13 PM

User image

Colorado
PeterAK - 2007-12-30 10:05 AM

I had eight days without a single workout that finally ended yesterday with a good computrainer ride.  I admit it.  I really liked being lazy for a bit, and while I didn't miss working out too much, I am getting anxious to be on track for some good races this year which are coming up in just over 120 days!  I've got a bit of an X factor in my race schedule this year, as I'm getting married in '08 but we don't have a date yet.  I suppose that means I should get back to researching reception venues and caterers! 

I'm trying to look like I didn't gain any weight, but I've actually just been weighing myself first thing in the morning, naked, rather than at night in my PJs.  That means I probably gained 2 lbs. 

I just had some minor surgery this morning to remove old "dissolving" stitches from my big toe joint as they did not dissolve and my body was trying to reject them by re-opening my incision in one spot and spitting them out.  I'm going to have a very ugly scar on my foot--BUT I got it all wrapped up nicely and can do a little jogging tonight in the 5K I am registered for.  Good news, as it will be too cold to walk it.  My left elbow and knee are a little sore, had a nasty rash the week of the 17th-21st that has cleared up.  I'm a little concerned about my resting heart rate--it's occasionally been as high as 108, although I feel fine.  (It's usually upper 60s-lower 70s)....but, feeling pretty good!

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!!!!!

2008-01-01 8:29 AM

Happy New Year Everyone! 
2008-01-01 10:42 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-01-01 1:05 PM
in reply to: #1125902

2008-01-01 4:07 PM

Yesterday was a good day as far as food and drink for me.  I only had 2 beers after my 5K race (well...they were FREE!!!  Wouldn't you?)  And then last night I only had 1/2 beer....OK OK - it was a 1.5 liter bottle of Grolsch...but I didn't even drink all of it...yet!

2008-01-01 9:08 PM

Extreme Veteran
West Chicago
PeterAK - 2007-12-30 11:05 AM

Holidays were ok. I Figure it was a weight loss. I will weigh in tomorrow. My goal was to exit December weighing less than I went in. I know I did that. but did I get below 200# - I don't know..  (EDIT 204.4 - so 3lb loss during December.. Kinda pissed. (1.2.08)I tried to stay consistant - with mixed success...  had a really good session last Saturday. I had 10 days off work and am actually looking forward to returning to work.  - One minor nagging soreness is in left upper back... going to the chiro for it but they haven't been able to get it out yet.  On a positive note.. since getting my orthotics and using the TP rollers I have had no serious ITB pain which has always been my greatest limiter in run training.  Hopefully I will continue in that vein.

January is going to be be booze free as much as possible ... I am interested in the weight loss that might go with that variable. I'll miss the whisky on a cold winter night...

Edited by daveo1101 2008-01-02 10:35 AM
2008-01-02 1:49 PM

Regular
PeterAK - 2007-12-30 12:05 PM

I've been on vacation in Green Bay for the past twelve days, with no internet connection and a lot of snow. That, combined with the mental blow of "course closings" really deflated my enthusiasm. To be very honest, I spent the time accepting that tri 2008 really isn't going to be practical. I brought my membership card, and the Y was just a few miles away. I *could* have at least gotten in the pool, or biked, but I didn't. I brought all my workout clothes, I got a very nice Timex gps watch as a holiday gift. I just stayed in my stupid mud puddle splashed, oh, and ate my weight in cookies. I walked the dog and shoveled the snow, but my heart just isn't in it.

No excuses. I'm going to get up and go to the gym tomorrow (it snowed here in Ohio too. No running. BAH.) I've still set up an appointment with the trainer, and will push on with that. I anticipate it will be a lot harder to stay on task when the goal is more than a year away though. I admit it, I have a short attention span!
2008-01-02 3:31 PM

2008-01-02 3:48 PM
in reply to: #1128623

2008-01-02 5:21 PM
in reply to: #1129032

2008-01-02 5:31 PM
in reply to: #1129239

Master
Colorado

Zilla - 2008-01-02 4:21 PM As of my post yesterday at 12:05pm I have lost 9lbs .... food poisoning will do that do you.  Ugh.  Last night was a night from hell.  I am going to go with the positive here and say ... what better way to start out 2008 them by started fresh by purging every last thing (and more) from your bowels and stomach! 

hahahaha. that rocks.  I mean, it doesn't really.  But hey... weight loss is weight loss!  And how symbolic of a new year! 

2008-01-03 1:04 PM

Regular
Thank you for the support. I had the wind knocked out of me so I wanted to sit and mope for a bit. This isn't productive, but it happens.

I just got back from my initial trainer evaluation. My evaluation seems to be that I lack strength (true), and have an extremely weak core (also true). He seems optimisitic that if I continue the cardio baseline as the programs here indicate, while adding in a rigorous strength and core building program 3/week, I'll at least put up a good fight to get to the finish line. That's a goal I can work for and feel good about.

The trainer is baffled by what's wrong with my diet. His concern is that if I cut any more calories, I'm going to get weak, and won't be able to build muscle mass. He's going to try to devise a diet plan, but told me not to get too upset if I never do end up losing any weight. Really, I'm ok being a fat triathlete, I just want to be a little faster so I can finish the darn thing. I start next week, I'm pretty excited about it.

This morning was my first workout in 14 days. I've had better. It's a lesson in why moping for a day or two is fine, but two weeks is altogether too long.

2008-01-04 9:36 AM

Extreme Veteran
West Chicago

Lets Get this party Started!

Question  re carbs -  I know we need to get fuel from carbs and when I run (in particular) sometimes/often i have the ammonia smell  sysptom - that is burning protein for fuel - not good I assume - but  i have been eating carbs and still have the symptoms - To be concerned or not? or Should I talk to a Sports nutritionist?  Thoughts?

Little something on tap for tonight and then a 45-60 min swim and a "longer run" on saturday to hit my weekly goals. Kinda making of for lost time as I did nothing on the 1st.

What's on tap for all of you? - Zilla -  hope you feel better!

2008-01-06 9:36 PM

Elite
In The Peleton
Dave, I have never noticed an ammonia smell myself but it could be because carbs are like my safety net--I seldom do any workout without taking in some kind of sports drink and/or gel.  Also, my sense of smell isn't so great either.  From what I learned by googling you are right, it can be a sign that you are short on carbs.  Have you adjusted your carb intake prior to, during, and after workouts with no change?
2008-01-06 9:44 PM
in reply to: #1105686

Elite
In The Peleton
daveo1101 - 2007-12-17 6:24 AM

diet wise - pre workout - h20 but no food often nothing as I like to go early in the morning - else a slice or two of wheat bread and some h20 - dilute gatorade for anything over 30 minutes - usually about 20 oz - in the summer MUCH more - I sweat a LOT - have lost 4lbs in an hour so I am very happy to have gotten the amphipod belt at the end of the summer - not much experience with gels or gu

post exercise - accelerade or gatorade and whatever is in the fridge. chocolate milk if I think of it when I am in the store

So this is from a few weeks ago, but if you haven't altered your practice, try having some sports drink in the a.m. along with the bread.  When I do an a.m. workout (which is pretty rare) I drink at least a pint of Gatorade or Perpetuem before I start.  On the bike I drink about a full bottle of sports drink every 45 minutes PLUS water. 

I was giving Force crap yesterday as I drank my recovery drink after a 30 mile Computrainer ride as he was drinking water.  It is really important to have some protein and carbs within 30 minutes of finishing a workout!!! 

2008-01-06 9:49 PM

Elite
In The Peleton

Just a couple thoughts.  Don't know how many of you visit my blog but I posted my 2007 totals there.  The race schedule for 2008 still has some X factors, as we haven't set a wedding date yet but are hoping to get that done this week.  Found out I won't be able to do the Steelhead half IM as Lori will be standing up in one of her good friend's weddings that day.  I may do the half at Racine instead.

Here's my '07 totals.  08 should be somewhere in the same neighborhood as for mileage.

The year in review:

Bike:177h 15m 08s  - 3183.92 Mi
Run:84h 22m 21s  - 528.87 Mi
Swim:53h 13m 31s  - 158557.8 Yd

1 half mary
1 8k
1 sprint
2 oly's
1 half im
1 im
2 hilly bike tours
1 engagement

2008-01-07 9:19 AM
in reply to: #1137993

Extreme Veteran
West Chicago
I have had the toast and sports drink before  training and not noticed a big difference in the odor. From my research it is relatively normal  after a long session but it is often present for me after only 30 minutes of good effort.. I'm going to find a sports nutritionist in my area and work with them i think. Anyone have any experiences (good/bad)  in that realm?
2008-01-07 9:32 AM

Elite
In The Peleton

Dave, I don't have any experience with sports nutritionists, but look forward to hearing what you learn.  Now is the time to do some trial and error experiments so you can settle into your nutrition plan for the race season.

To ALL, how has the first week of the year gone for you?  I'm not doing any exciting workouts, everything is pretty much just cruising at a comfortable pace for now as it's still base work time.  One of my goals for this week is to settle on a training plan and start date for more structured training.  Probably will use one of the BT plans, selected with the following "A" races in mind:

Wildflower Oly, May 4
High Cliff HIM, June 22
Spirit of Racine HIM, July 20 (Not confirmed but probable)

2008-01-07 5:41 PM
in reply to: #1138463

Colorado

daveo1101 - 2008-01-07 8:19 AM I have had the toast and sports drink before  training and not noticed a big difference in the odor. From my research it is relatively normal  after a long session but it is often present for me after only 30 minutes of good effort.. I'm going to find a sports nutritionist in my area and work with them i think. Anyone have any experiences (good/bad)  in that realm?

I haven't been here in awhile, so did not see this.  I am currently dealing with "nephrotic syndrome"--a lovely little kidney problem.  I've had similar problems before, and it's one of the symptoms when your kidneys get overloaded.  They can't excrete it in your urine, so it comes out in your sweat.  Anyway, just a thought since you're saying it happens after only 30 minutes of exercise...hopefully it is a nutrition issue, but just something else to consider.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » PeterAK's Group: THIS TREEHOUSE IS FULL!!! Rss Feed  

of 27