BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ridgelake's Group - Filled up with Fantastic Folks! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2008-01-27 8:26 PM
in reply to: #1098972

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Subject: RE: Ridgelake's Group - Filled Up with Awesome Folks!

OK folks, time for the weekly review!  What went well?  What didnt?  What might be improved?

I'll go first.  It was a very good week.  I did my first 10K race yesterday and had a lot of fun.  I exceeded my pace expectations, so that was very nice.  I also got to swim twice this past week, something that I dont normally get to do. 

This upcoming week, I'll have my Masters Postal swim.  See how far you can swim in an hour.  I did it a couple of years ago and did 3,333 meters.  I'm hopeful I'll get more than that this year.  I think I'm a faster swimmer, but I'm not sure that I'm in as good of swim shape.  Better shape overall, but not as much with swimming.  So we'll see.  Thats THursday night.

2008-01-27 9:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX

This has been an off week. My father in law had emergency surgery this week so my training was thrown off a little. Though I did get some workouts in, and began our winter training program (5/10k) at the local running store.

It is awesome to see where I was last year at this time. My 5k time trial for the program was 19:00/mile last year, and yesterday it was 10:30.

Hope the rest of ya'll have an awesome week.

Scott 

2008-01-27 11:10 PM
in reply to: #1178857

User image

Regular
Spokane, Washington
Weekly review

The Good:
I'm very happy with my running and my knees. I've bumped up to a mile with no knee pain during or after the run. I'm also happy with strength training - it seems to be helping with the knees, and I feel muscles where I've never felt them before.

The Bad:
Swimming and biking have taken a back seat because of scheduling and sickness; I'm focusing on the run and the strength just because I can't fit everything in right now and I really need to build a base to work from.

The Ugly:
I am still getting sick/sore throat way more than I would like. I'm doing several things to boost my immune system (more veggies, some supplements, sleep), so hopefully that will help in the near future. If you all have any suggestions or experience in this area, please feel free to share with me.

Overall, I feel that I'm making progress, especially since this is January and one of the worst months for many people for training and weather.

I hope you all have a great week! That cruise is sounding pretty good right now (we just got a lot of snow). Take care everyone, and thanks Ridge for the articles and encouragement.

Joann

2008-01-28 8:08 AM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

Scott, I'm very sorry to hear about your FIL.  I hope that he is doing well and recovering nicely.

Thats awesome how much progress you've made from a year ago!  Keep up the great work!!  I'm sure the running program will be a big help.

Jo, January is a tough time for being sick.  About the only thing I could suggest is to make sure you get enough sleep.  I know, thats largely out of most of our control though.

Its good that you've been able to keep some things up while battling the colds and such.  I'm sure when you're feeling better that the bike and swim will come along as well.

2008-01-28 8:09 AM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

An article from the email group I'm a part of....

A great article by USAT Coach Elizabeth Fedofsky

What is recovery?

By definition, recovery is a gradual healing or return to a natural state. As athletes, our natural state is one of rested readiness and capacity to handle training stress. Recovery, then, is a combination of carefully timed behaviors, strategies, and responses that allow us to heal from training stress in order to apply a higher level of stress.

Recovery is the one component of our training plans that we cannot predict yet it is also the one component that will make or break even the best training plans. The better and quicker you recover, the more you can benefit from your hard work. In fact, athletes do not necessarily get fitter from doing workouts, rather they get fitter during recovery from workouts.

The best athletes are capable of balancing high loads of work with adequate recovery. Adequate recovery is highly individualized and will differ depending on your fitness level, experience with sport, natural ability, and age. Regardless, the key to recovery properly is to provide your body with the opportunity to rest! Natascha Badmann is one elite athlete who seems to have mastered the purpose of recovery. She is known to have a large comfy chair in her Switzerland home for doing absolutely nothing at all. Sitting, sleeping, in other words – recovery.

But you don’t have to be an elite athlete to master recovery. Nor do you have to just lay around. While there is not quick route to recovery, there are a few helpful hints I have found along the way to improve recovery and get more from a training plan.

#1 – Sleep

Sleep is the cheapest, easiest and most reliable form of recovery. Yet it seems to be the one thing that we will skimp on when our lives get stressed. When you look at all of the hours you have in a day – daily living activities, families, jobs, and training it doesn’t leave much left. But chances are there is some way you can squeeze an extra 30 minutes of sleep on most days. Even a lunchtime nap can help you recharge. Make sleep a priority and your recovery will likely improve. Spending 30 less minutes answering e-mail, watching television, doing household chores – see if you can reorganize your week or save the small tasks each day that cut into sleep for a bigger chunk of time on the weekend.

#2 – Proper Nutrition

Like sleep, nutrition is one of the easiest ways to improve recovery. Our bodies were built for wholesome, quality nutrition. No need for fancy shakes or powders - your body recognizes natural food. A few ounces of lean chicken, whole wheat bread, a banana – these are foods that your body can easily recognize, process and use. Make the commitment to eat a diet rich with wholesome grains, lean proteins, low-fat dairy, fresh vegetables and fruit with plenty of water to wash it down. Consistently following the 30 minute window after workouts to refuel is an easy way to speed yourself along the road to recovery. Consuming nutritious meals and snacks throughout the day will also leave you more energized for workouts and capable of recovering quicker from them.

#3 – Massage

Massage is a great way to work the toxins out of your muscles and provide a gentle stretch. However not everyone can afford massage. Instead, try using a foam roller or Trigger Point Therapy products to gently and moderately roll or stretch after workouts. Moderation is key – you can do damage with the foam roller, balls, or sticks if you keep rolling away at muscles that are injured or overly sore.

#4 – Supplemental Support

While our bodies benefit most by receiving vitamins and minerals from food – a daily multivitamin can help to top off any stores that are low. Per the recommendation of Keith and Ibby – friends and naturopathic doctors - I began taking a pre-natal vitamin this year not because I am pre-natal but because the prenatal vitamin would have higher supply of what I might be missing from all of the stress on my body. I also use Papain (from papaya) and Bromelain (from pineapple) as natural inflammatories (though taken with food they are digestive enzymes). I have also found Recover-Ease by Wicked Fast to be an integral part of my recovery plan. I take 4 – 8 capsules after hard workouts or races. Keith and Ibby suggested that over time the ingredients would likely make our bodies less susceptible to the damage from workout demands.

#5 – Put Your Feet Up

Both literally and figuratively. How many times have you done a hard workout then decided to plant your entire garden? Or spend the day walking around the shopping mall? What you do in your daily life is just as stressful and damaging as what you do in a workout. Especially after long or hard workouts – put your feet up! Relax! If possible, spend some time laying around and doing nothing at all – catch up on e-mail, read, watch tv. One of the hardest things for us as athletes (and overachievers) to realize is that this “lazy” down time is just as important as the hard workouts. It also helps to put your feet and legs against a wall for 15 – 20 minutes after a hard training day.

#6 – Plan Your Training

Following a purposeful and thoughtful training plan is another way to enhance recovery. Most athletes can handle two to three weeks of training that builds in duration, intensity or frequency before requiring a week to back off. Many athletes train haphazardly by weather, time or groups which often leads to doing too much for too long – leading to later fatigue, overtraining or injury. A periodized plan with meaningful cycles and planned rest weeks may help recover better overall. During a ‘rest’ week, it is important to reduce training volume and frequency to allow your body to heal. While you may include a few short bursts of intensity in workouts, other workouts are easy enough to promote active healing throughout the week. You should find yourself feeling energized, even ‘hungry’ for hard work after a proper rest week.

#7 – Active Recovery

Using active recovery workouts – by following your prescribed heart rate zones – may help your body recover quicker from training demands. Active recovery workouts are those performed at 50 – 60 percent of your maximum heart rate (or, Zone 1). While this sounds easy, it is here that many athletes fail. Resisting the urge to go hard to keep up with a group or ignoring slower paces/speeds on your training devised are difficult for some. However, letting go of the need to see a certain number or cover a certain distance will ensure your recovery workouts are easy enough to promote recovery rather than perform yet another workout to recovery from.

#8 – Ice

Ice bath is another great way to recover from hard training demands. Inflammation is the body’s response to tissue damage. Reducing inflammation may promote quicker recovery. Fill your bathtub with icy cold water. Be sure to wear a swimsuit, hat, gloves, warm shirt and submerge yourself in the tub for 10 – 15 minutes. As an alternative, icing sore body parts may also help. You can also try alternating with 10 – 15 minutes of heat and 10 – 15 minutes of cold.

Athletes often focus on the hard work required to improve. Yet what you do for recovery and ‘no work’ are just as important as the hardest of workout days. Take the time to properly plan for and perform recovery to benefit from the training you do, to stay healthy, productive and hopefully injury-free.

2008-01-29 1:00 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
OK, team.  What would you guys think about my re-opening to group to add more people?  With my being a 1st time mentor, I was concerned about too much committment.  But that doesnt seem to be the case.  Would you guys be interested in adding more people?

2008-01-29 2:57 PM
in reply to: #1181908

User image

Regular
Spokane, Washington
Re: Opening the Group to new members:

Ridge, I say if you're up for it, I'm up for it. It's not like I'm doing all the work. I've appreciated the articles and encouragement, so if there's anyone else out there who is interested, that'd be fine by me.

Also, I've joined a challenge! A first for me - I didn't even know they existed until I started snooping around the website. I'm in the "February Swim or Bike or Run challenge." I challenged myself to walk/run 25 miles in February. They'll put me on a team and I'll chart my progress. Sounds fun and it will hopefully help get my mileage up next month. Wish me luck!

We're still snowbound around here. I hope everyone is having a great week!

Jo

Edited by SpokaneJo 2008-01-29 2:58 PM
2008-01-30 8:17 AM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Jo, congrats on joining the Challenge!  Thats great!!!  I know they help a lot of people get the motivation to do more.  SO I'm happy you found it and it works for you!
2008-01-30 8:18 AM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
I think I'm going to open up the group for more people.  So we'll see who wants to join this group of crazies!  
2008-01-30 7:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Subject: RE: Ridgelake's Group - Re-Opening for More Awesome Folks!

My FIL is doing much better. Hopefully he will be discharged in 2 or 3 days. Needless to say, my training this week has been non-existent. Between hospital visits and being sick I've needed the extra time unwind.

My plan for tomorrow is to thorw in a 30m run with 5m WU, 20m easy, and 5m fast. I'll see how well that works out for me.

Scooter 

2008-01-31 7:41 AM
in reply to: #1185141

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

Scott,

Glad your FIL is doing better.  That makes everyone's life easier. 

Sometimes life gets in the way.  And this is definitely one of those times.  Do what you need to do, then come on back and get with us. 

2008-01-31 10:00 AM

New Jersey
Hey can I join your group?

NAME: Andrea

STORY: 24 yr old NJ triathlete. Starting my 3rd season this year. I got tricked into doing a mile swim by my boss (Let's go for a ride this weekend, and you could maybe join me for this little swim I'm doing) and then went all the way with triathlons. I'm also technically a marathoner, although the first one was just 5.5 hours of pain.

FAMILY STATUS: Single, very supportive BF (trails me in his car when I run long distances late at night and supplies drinks and candy)

CURRENT TRAINING: Swim- twice a week, lots of skill drills (inflexible ankles, sinking rear)
Bike- Spinning twice a week and hopefully an outdoor ride if it's not freezing or super windy. Strongest discipline
Run- Started running seriously about 3 yrs ago, ran my first half mary last spring, first marathon last november. Found out that my back is spastic and weak on one side. My hips are possibly misaligned and my SI joint is restricted. I'm in the middle of physical therapy (PT) and am allowed to run up until it hurts. Right now my highest is 6 miles. Hopefully getting to 7 on saturday. Running 3-5 days a week following a marathon plan from runners world.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: NJ State Tri, 2 other Oly's, 3 or 4 sprints, Half Mary, Marathon,

2008 RACES: E. Murray Todd 1/2 Marathon, NJ Marathon, NJ State Tri, War at the Shore, bunches of local sprints and oly's, fall marathon (Kiawah Island?)

WEIGHTLOSS: Graduated college at 223 (oy) and got down to ~175 in a year and a half. At 168 now, and at 5'9" I need to lose some more weight to be faster, unfortunately I live with a man addicted to red meat and fried potatoes.

I was in another group, but no one posted and most of them didn't log any workouts (or maybe they didn't work out).

Thanks
Andrea
2008-01-31 12:45 PM
in reply to: #1186235

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

Andrea,

Welcome!  Glad to have you come aboard and join us! 

It looks like you've been through a few things in your athletic career.  Nothing quite like overcoming obstacles.  Its great that you're passionate about this sport!

So tell us, whats the story behind the name ihaveagluestick?    That has potential. 

Welcome again!  Once you get settled in, I'll have a few more questions for you. 

Rob

2008-01-31 1:16 PM

User image

Yeah!!! Hi, Andrea! I am also a tall (NOT BIG) girl at 5'11" and started this whole tri thing last summer at 175 lbs. I'm now down to 160 and feeling like a million bucks but have found my rear is also sinking (while swimming)!! Welcome to our group.

Rob, I have kinda quit writing so much since there was not alot of participation, but I love your input and have the tri bible as my nightime read!!

Nice job on the challenge, JO, and keep up the good work. We'll have to plan some bike rides this summer after we thaw out of our 6 feet of snow (with more to come).

Have a great week and welcome newcomers

Edited by teresa 2008-01-31 1:22 PM
2008-01-31 1:23 PM
in reply to: #1186754

New Jersey
Sadly, the ihaveagluestick name is a leftover from college and really not that funny.
I had a strange roommate freshman year and we would glue quotes and funny pictures to almost every surface of our room.
One night as I stood on a chair gluing more crap to the ceiling, she told her bf (joking) that I was a bad roommate and that I was attacking her with a gluestick.
Therefore the joke became me chasing her with a gluestick saying, i have a gluestick.

The joke lasted about 3 days. But the screen name is so easy to give out and I like that it contains only real words. (no offense to you l33t and short hand people) so I've kept it.
Besides when is that going to be already taken?
2008-01-31 1:43 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

That is a pretty good story, Andrea.    And you're right, its unique!

Teresa, yes, the quietness is a big reason that I opened up the group again.  I would like us to be regularly communicating with each other.  Inspiring, asking questions, relaying successes and failures.  Really, just becoming better friends and the like.  So hopefully with some more people. we'll get more action going that will engender that type of atmosphere.

Ok, Andrea.  Question for you.  And these are similar questions to what I've asked the other team members. 

What is it that you hope to get out of doing triathlons?

2008-01-31 2:47 PM
in reply to: #1186936

User image

Regular
Spokane, Washington
Welcome Andrea! Glad to have you in the group!

We are kind of quiet lately. I think I'm just trying to survive the winter right now. (We keep getting dumped with snow.)

I do have a few questions for anyone out there:
Is it ok to neglect one or two of the sports while building overall endurance and strength? I'm neglecting the swim and bike while I just try to stay healthy while I run and lift. Or should I try to do a little of each and build them all up slowly? I know there is probably not a "right" answer, but any comments would be appreciated.

Since I did join the running challenge I'll be focusing on running for Feb, but after that, should I start working in the other two more consistently? My tri isn't until July - it's a sprint.

Also, what does it mean to "hijack a thread" ? I've read that a few times on other threads.

Teresa, I'd love to do a bike ride with you sometime - it'll a be a while. I can't wait for Spring!

Jo

Edited by SpokaneJo 2008-01-31 3:10 PM
2008-01-31 3:12 PM
in reply to: #1187164

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

Jo, I think the answer to your question is another question.  What do you want to get out of tris and exercise?

If its to be healthy, have fun, relieve stress, etc., then the answer becomes do whatever best achieves those goals.  If thats running and lifting, then great!  Do those!  You're meeting your goals.

If its to try to maximize your tri performance, then the answer would be to do all 3 consistently.  This is not at all to say that one sport would not gain some benefit from the others.  But it is to say that the best way to improve in these 3 sports is do the 3 sports.  Specificity does matter some. 

So is the probably rather modest increase in performance from doing all 3 worth the reduction in fun, increased stress, decreased motivation, etc.?  Thats for you to decide.

2008-01-31 3:14 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

Oh and Jo,

To "hijack" a thread is to change the course of discussion away from the intent of the original poster.  Its like going off onto a tangent. 

2008-01-31 3:52 PM

New Jersey
What do I hope to get out of triathlons?

I hope to get a tshirt! Honestly I need them for work, I burn holes in a lot of shirts at work so I need constant replacement.
Other than that, I do triathlons just for the sake of doing them. I love to challenge myself and to have something to work towards. My entire life until I graduated from college had a focus- get into a good school, get a good job. With the goals set, all the steps along the way just fell into place.
And I love that feeling you get mid-race, the just-keep-going feeling. When you're waiting at the start, it's practically dark out, and much colder than you'd ever sanely get into the ocean, the nerves are great. Then you start and it's just GO! And for the next 1,2,3,...6 hours you just see what you can do. You wobble out of the water and try to run for your bike without looking like an idiot. Then you ride like hell and every time you pass someone it's another jump in the excitement. And then the run you're checking out everyone's calves to see if you're passing your age group or if they're passing you. Then that final sprint, where no matter who is running next to you, you must beat them. I swear every time I finish, I wanna throw my fist into the air and scream F$%# YEAH!! (I don't though because I really don't have the energy)

I love the adrenaline, excitement, pain, sweat, glory and the pride. Nothing is better than pushing yourself as hard as you can and knowing that you finished no matter what.

And winning a little trophy for your age group doesn't hurt either.

So why not tri?!
2008-02-01 7:44 AM
in reply to: #1187426

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

Tshirts are good!  I like them from all my events too!  Its a badge of honor.

And you're right, there's such a kick from going hard in a race and doing well.  Awesome adrenaline rush. 

So your next question is this:  What, if anything, keeps you from reaching your tri goals?

2008-02-01 10:27 AM

User image

Regular
Ridgelake - 2008-01-31 12:43 PM

I would like us to be regularly communicating with each other.  Inspiring, asking questions, relaying successes and failures.  Really, just becoming better friends and the like.  So hopefully with some more people. we'll get more action going that will engender that type of atmosphere.

I've been incommunicado mostly due to recovering for the last 3 weeks from throwing out my back. I think I can finally say I'm starting to feel like my old self again.

Lets kick things up a little with our own little Ridgelake Group February Challenge!

Share your goals and post how you are doing in achieving them throughout the month.

I was maping out my Feb. goals and would like to share them so you all can kick my butt and hold me accountable.

Run - 40 miles
Swim - 16,000 yards
Bike - 8 hours (+/- 136 miles assuming +/-17 MPH)

note: living in Colorado, my bike goal necessarily needs to be in time rather than distance because it will likely consist mostly of trainer rides w/o an odometer, so I figure I will give myself credit in the logs for roughly 17 MPH when I do the trainer.

I got started this morning with a 1 HR spin class. She really kicked our butts and I was sweating like a pig, but feel GREAT!

My goals may sound modest to some, but I will be very happy if I achieve them!

NOW, what are YOUR goals for February?

Edited by catjammies 2008-02-01 10:56 AM
2008-02-01 10:49 AM
in reply to: #1188391

New Jersey
Ridgelake - 2008-02-01 8:44 AM

Tshirts are good!  I like them from all my events too!  Its a badge of honor.

And you're right, there's such a kick from going hard in a race and doing well.  Awesome adrenaline rush. 

So your next question is this:  What, if anything, keeps you from reaching your tri goals?

Too easy, nothing can keep you from reaching your goals with hard work, perserverance and patience. I guess my bad hip is keeping me from reaching my goals, but it really doesn't feel that way.
I've learned a bunch of really cool core exercises from PT and I've had a chance to start running all over again, as a new person with good legs. It's pretty cool actually. I get to start from scratch and reach new mileage peaks without all the pesky cardiovascular trouble that first time runners have.

Besides, I was a fencer in college. My career goal was to make to the NCAA Nationals. I made the Regional finals my junior year. I thought it was in the bad for senior year, I trained my body hard and neglected my mind. I made it to the regional finals again, but I cracked under pressure in the last bout. I had forgotten that I love fencing, and that I am not a professional fencer. When I'm 50 and a successful something else (chemical engineer, physical therapist, astronaut?) it won't matter if I didn't win, it'll matter if I enjoyed it.

You can only control your own actions, so bring everything you've got and run your own race.
2008-02-01 10:50 AM

User image

Regular
Ridgelake,

I was looking at your logs and you have an inspiringly low AHR during your workouts. I am doing good to get mine down in the 160ish range.

I've been looking at the Garmin 305 to help me do more zone work. My habit is to go back to my old Highschool swimming days where it is all out or go home.

Edited by catjammies 2008-02-01 10:54 AM
2008-02-01 1:13 PM
in reply to: #1188879

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

Cool!  Lots of good stuff here. 

Ok, the February Ridgelake Group Challenge!  Dave put down the gauntlet.

My goal is to have only 4 rest days in the month.  In January, I had 2.  I may be traveling some, so I hope this is attainable.

I personally have some hesitancy in posting milage or time goals for specific sports.  I have had a ton of injury issues over the last 2+ years and I have learned that I MUST listen to my body.  In 2006, shooting for some goals led me to push my body way too hard.  I ended up blowing out my calf, losing months of training, and still feel it on a regular basis.  

I have had to learn the VERY hard way to listen to my body and back off when its talking to me.   And because of this, I'm regularly juggling my workouts depending on how various body parts are feeling.  If my calf is bothering me, I'll swim or lift.  If my shoulder (which I had surgery on about 15 months ago) is sore, I'll run or bike or spin.   Its a constant balancing act for me.  That said, I feel like I'm learning what my body can tolerate.  And I find that I can build slowly.  I am very hopeful that I can avoid significant setbacks in 2008. 

So with that background, here is what I'd like to achieve in February.

Run: 50 miles  (This will be weather dependent)

Bike: 2.5 hours per week

Swim 1.5 hours per week.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ridgelake's Group - Filled up with Fantastic Folks! Rss Feed  

of 19