BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Saling4's Group - Closed for now. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2008-01-14 7:04 AM
in reply to: #1116595

User image

Champion
Henderson NV
Subject: RE: Saling4's Group - Closed for now.

"You must do the thing which you think you cannot do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

2008-01-14 9:42 AM

Subject: Question training plan
OK... this may be a dumb question.
I've decided to start today the 20 week beginner sprint program. Are those numbers on the schedule: miles? minutes? kilometers?
If those are minutes I feel those are really a few...and if there are miles, maybe too much...

Can u help me with those?
Thanx
2008-01-14 5:45 PM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV
Those are minutes.  The purpose is to get you out and on a program.  You can finish a Sprint with that plan.  It is the baby steps I talk about and you can increase slowly as you feel better.
2008-01-14 8:18 PM
in reply to: #1155796

Ghee, thanx. Well sometimes you (ok, not YOU, especifically) just feel like superwoman (or superman) and want to eat the world on a bite, right? I have to remind myself: babysteps, baaaabysteps.

Well just to keep all Saling4's Group posted: The Disco-5k race was absolutely fun: At night, lots of costumes (still don't know how people can manage running with an afro wig), djs playing disco songs every kilometer. The route was traced by color lights, strobe and huuge disco balls.

Time? 39:35 with a 7.9 pace. I felt great, not tired at all (even though the whole week training wasn't very confortable). Guess night races are my thing. It's a totally different mood. People seem different, run different... Anyone else has completed a night race that has the same perception?

Have a great week!
2008-01-14 8:39 PM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV
I will have to try a night race, it sounds like fun.
2008-01-15 7:49 AM

User image

Colorado Springs
Good Morning!
First let me say this: OW. OOOF. OUCH. OK - that was me just sitting down.

But, I finished the RnR AZ marathon in 5:09. Not my fastest time, but considering that I have not run since an 18 miler the day after Thanksgiving, I was pretty pleased. It was hard....had to just gut it out and make myself keep running. Usually I like to be comfortable when I run - if it gets painful or too hard, I just ease off. But I realized very early on that doing that would mean being really, really slow. My husband and other people who are good at running in pain have said that the pain of fatigue doesn't get any worse, and sometimes goes away, if you just push a little harder - the bonus is that you get to finish faster than if you slowed down. So I tried it...

I played a little video game in my head where I needed energy and the only way to get it was to pass people and run over their energy balls and eat them up. So I picked people way in the distance and would run by them and suck their energy out. It wasn't anything personal

Sometimes I would give energy to people (they didn't know) when we had a bit of a chat and one of us moved on, I'd share. It was goofy but it kept me entertained.

Then, when it really started to hurt, I pretended I ate the pain for lunch and it was yummy and made me go faster. Then, I pretended that I could run away from the pain and it made me stronger. For me, these were really silly ideas because usually when it hurts this much I think - ow, this hurts! Where's the beer! (It was at mile 24 or so).

Anyway, enough about my pain. There were lots of bands along this flat and sunny course. Perfect weather - 40ish in the morning and 60ish at the end, no wind, no rain, no clouds. Tons of support - well stocked water/sport drink stations. Lots of portopotties. Medical tents. Excellent street closures and police support. Really amazing logistics. You could only hear the bands for a couple of minutes as you ran by, but it helped. The flatness of it was really a bit fatiguing. All of my friends that ran with me (ahead of me!) had the same complaint - that their quads and feet were really hammered from the flat pavement. We usually run on slightly rolling trail - so I guess we mix up our muscles a bit more and our feet don't take such a beating. I wouldn't have thought it made that much difference but it really did.

All of the logistics - from the pre-race packet pickup to getting through the finish area were very well done. It was a good spirited race - lots of friendly people. Team in Training has an amazing support system. If you don't mind raising money for them, they will take care of you for sure. I think almost a fourth of the runners out there were probably TnT runners. I wasn't one of them, though.

Everyone have a good week. I've got to recover from this now and will probably do nothing but some yoga and maybe an ez spin or swim just to flush the legs out. I have to eat right again. Spent a lot of time in my bathing suit in the pool and hot tub. Where did this pot belly come from!!!!!

-Helen

2008-01-15 8:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
HelenS, thanks for the great race report!! I loved the idea of thinking as if you were playing a video game. Sounds like more fun than counting fractions, sorry about that mathsgeek! (I actually do love algebra but haven't been able to convince my kids of how much fun it is!)
2008-01-15 9:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
GoForItAll, sounds like you had a great race as well. That sounds like it would be lots of fun. And enough to keep you distracted that you don't have to play video games in your head!
2008-01-15 11:35 AM
in reply to: #1156890

WOW HelenS, what a race... marathon, well, I hope to kick one of those (or at least half of it) this year. Congrats! You're my hero-ette!

It helps a lot when your mind wanders while you run and don't think about pain-pain or pain... lets not ask your body right now! OUCH, we stand with you and feel your pain. And absolutely running with friends, family or someone you  met at the race makes it better.

Love races with music that comes and goes. I think those as Forrest Gump's "box of chocolates": you never know what comes next, and that is exciting.

Absolutely congratulations

Edited by GoForAll2008 2008-01-15 11:44 AM
2008-01-15 4:15 PM

User image

Veteran
great going HelenS.

My wife and I did a TNT century ride for them in 2004 and the support was great.

They provided a great training program for us and during race day they provided extra stops for us or anyone else that needed them. They was always someone on the route with us that helped encourge us and support us.

2008-01-15 4:45 PM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV

Great report Helen,  Sounds like a lot of fun once you get past the pain.  I guess I should learn how to play a video game before I use your example though.

How is everyone doing? 

2008-01-15 6:00 PM
in reply to: #1151337

User image

I would be interested on the web page for body weight exercises.
Thanks.
Helmuth
2008-01-15 6:05 PM
in reply to: #1156715

User image

Helen,

Congratulations! A full marathon! The longest distance I have done so far is 21 K. My goal for this year is an Olympic distance, so running 10K should not be so bad. But eventually I hope to be able to run a full Marathon.

Good for you!

Helmuth
2008-01-15 6:11 PM

User image

Regarding web pages, I like this page very much:

http://www.d3multisport.com/articles.php

If you are looking for core training, look for the "Core Strength..." links.

I do these sessions every now and then (should be more often).

Regarding my training:
My first swim after the holidays was yesterday (short and slow), and my first run today (short and slow).

Helmuth
2008-01-15 8:12 PM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV
Nice job trihtref on starting S-L-O-W. For more routines with bodyweight try www.simplefit.com. The workouts there can be challenging if you do it their way.

Edited by saling4 2008-01-15 8:22 PM
2008-01-15 10:46 PM

Regular
Eastside Seattle WA
Helen!
Wow Congrats on the marathon. I am no runner but 5 hours, I don't think that's slow for a marathon. I think finishing is AMAZING!!!! I don't have any interest in ever doing a marathon, but who knows I never thought I would do a lot of things I am now doing, so NEVER say NEVER. Unless of course it's something Bad like drugs, or killing someone or you know BAD things.
Oh and BTW, I used to think marathons were bad, but well, who knew normal? people do marathons
You ROCK!!!

Kimberly

2008-01-16 7:49 AM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV

"We all have dreams. In order to make dreams come into reality, it takes an awful lot of determination, dedication, self-discipline and effort."

Jesse Owens
2008-01-16 7:52 AM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV
I am with you Hailrunr:  Who in their right mind would run 26.2 miles?  Now I have glimpses in my mind like "A marathon that sounds like fun."  Its only 18 miles farther them I have ever run before.
2008-01-16 9:58 AM

User image

Colorado Springs
Thanks everyone for reading my totally self-congratulatory post. I don't have any big events planned for months so you will be spared for a while.

I suppose I may not be in my right mind....and I don't think I've been accused of being normal lately But you can't tell by looking...in the right light, anyway.

The worst thing about switching from long distance running to tris is that I have to speed up a bit. My training pace and race pace are the same. It doesn't look so bad when you apply it to a marathon but in a 5K I suffer. If anyone really wants more info on long distance running, just send me a private message, however that works, and I can tell you what I've learned. I'm starting tris though because I like the challenge but I'm really weary of hours of running all in a row. It will be so nice to have a training schedule that has my longest run ever being something like 2 hours!

Have a nice day! I'm staying indoors today. It's 10 degrees, snowing, and the wind is whipping!

2008-01-16 5:51 PM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV
I think you will like the respite from the long training runs.  Some of your runs may only be 20-30 minutes if you are doing speedwork or hills.  You will still want a longish run one day a week though.
2008-01-18 6:48 AM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare."

Juma Ikangaa

2008-01-18 8:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
Cold (40 degrees) and rainy here all day but I've got a four day weekend, so am happy! Since I was off today, I was able to make it to the gym for water aerobics which was great, and then a short swim. Highs are supposed to be around 50 for the next couple of days, but I think it's supposed to be sunny tomorrow. Hoping to get a run in the park, as I haven't been able to get over there for a few weeks. My 9 year old son has been with me on my last couple of runs. He keeps my mind off running, as only a 9 year old boy can! He found out his 23 year old teacher is a runner and triathlete, so he's thinking that's pretty cool right now.

Hope that everyone has a great weekend and all is going well!! Anything exciting going on for anyone this weekend?
2008-01-18 10:13 PM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV
Lets see,  I work tomorrow and then I will run and maybe work on finishing that kitchen door reconstruction.  Sun. I am hoping to watch some football and ride, but may well end up working on the kitchen retiling project.  So a lot of fun to be had this weekend.
2008-01-19 11:35 AM

User image

New user

Helen - one more late congrats on such an accomplishment!
I have never run more than 10k, and that kills me!

I can relate to people's reports of lousy weather - we had quite a bit. Never enough snow to really get out skis and enjoy, but funny, in-between weather. Freeze-thaw-freeze-thaw! I'm going to get out there today though - try to do a 5k run. I might turn the towel in early though if I start coughing - I'm almost over this bug that everyone I know all over the continent has caught!

For those in Colorado - I have family there. Any suggestions on races that happen out there? Maybe I could get a race in over a family trip

Cat

Edited by canadiancat 2008-01-19 11:37 AM
2008-01-19 6:15 PM
in reply to: #1165153

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
Oh, kitchen retiling. I can relate to that. My husband and I did a kitchen and bath a few years ago. Have a great time! It was sunny and 52 here today, very nice (but a little cold).
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Saling4's Group - Closed for now. Rss Feed  

of 11