Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2008-02-11 11:32 PM
in reply to: #1206198

Regular
Eastside Seattle WA
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - FULL
tahrens - 2008-02-11 5:19 PM

I did it, 1000m! It really wasn't that bad either. I didn't get tired until lap 15 (of 20). The last 2 laps were tough, but I had switched breathing from every other stroke to every 4th stroke on lap 15 and that really made a difference. I felt smoother in the water and I could really concentrate on the pull. It seemed like I was propelled through the water much better and not being choppy with the breathing! I am stoked!!!!

Wow...Great job!!

Now I need to make a date with the pool!

2008-02-12 3:20 PM
in reply to: #1206522

User image

Torrance, California
Great job on the swim! 
2008-02-12 3:26 PM
in reply to: #1116923

User image

Torrance, California
I finally got my new bike saddle and tried it out for the first time today. It was very comfortable, the real test will be how my butt feels tomorrow, but so far so good. It's a beautiful day here (sunny, 75 degrees)  so even if my butt hurt I wouldn't notice. I didn't even notice that I had forgotten my IPod until halfway through the ride. Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend.
2008-02-12 4:27 PM
in reply to: #1207886

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Taopu - 2008-02-12 1:26 PM

I finally got my new bike saddle and tried it out for the first time today. It was very comfortable, the real test will be how my butt feels tomorrow, but so far so good. It's a beautiful day here (sunny, 75 degrees)  so even if my butt hurt I wouldn't notice. I didn't even notice that I had forgotten my IPod until halfway through the ride. Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend.

You bike w/ an IPOD?! What about cars, other people, etc? Seems risky!?
2008-02-13 9:32 AM
in reply to: #1208037

User image

Torrance, California
I keep the volume low so I can still hear the cars, but loud enough so I can sing along if I feel the urge.  
2008-02-14 3:45 PM

User image

Pro
Folks we are opening up to one more person.... He has reached out to us and wants to join!

Here is his story. Welcome him when you get a chance:
Hi Steve,

I am hoping you might have a few more spaces available in the team (if you are going to continue with it in 2008).

NAME: Ben

Story: While it's been a good ten years since I last competed, I decided this year was as good as any to return to the sport.

My motivation to train is a combination of desire to compete, along with a weight-loss / toning goal. I let too many years go by, with too many bottles of wine and good dinners accumulate Now it's the challenge to undo the damage and get back into shape.

My strength is in the run (or was... need to build that back up!), but I am committed to working my swim strokes and learn the mechanics of cycling.

GOAL: Drop my weight from the November 2007 high (227) down to the 170s. Currently with my modified (re: nutrition and serving appropriate) diet I am just about to pass 200 for the first time since 2003.

I am signed up for three sprints and two Olympic distance races this year (along with a trail HM and road HM), with my long term goal of doubling the number of my races for 2009, adding a full marathon. 2010 will hopefully see the introduction of one or two HIM races along with a fuller complement of Olys.

IM Kona is on my mind every time I get in the pool, sit on a bike, or lace up my shoes. I hope to make it there some day.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, two kids (3 and 1)

TRAINING: Slated to start Monday on the 20-week Olympic 3x Balanced (which should help me keep better track of my workouts online!)

I hope you have room, and I look forward to meeting all of the other team members!

2008-02-14 4:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Sterling, VA
Great! Thanks Steve.  Consider me a happy tri today
2008-02-14 7:35 PM
in reply to: #1212999

New user

Welcome Ben! I'm new to Tri's and I'm on the 20 week olympic plan as well. You're way ahead of me on goal setting
2008-02-15 9:20 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Welcome Ben,
I am an East Coaster member of the group as well. (North Carolina). You have very ambitious goals......nice. Very impressive. I am planning on doing the Annapolis Olympic in September. Maybe if you are anxious to add ANOTHER race we could participate together. Nice to share the pain Best of luck to you.

Tracy

Edited by tahrens 2008-02-15 9:21 AM
2008-02-15 12:54 PM
in reply to: #1214163

User image

Veteran
Sterling, VA

That could be a good race to add, close enough that it's not tough to get to, far enough away that it feels like I am going somewhere.

When it gets closer, let's chat a bit and see if anyone else here on the site is meeting, could be fun to get together before/after the race and put some faces with names.

--

Anyone have any links/recommendations for info on bettering your swim stroke? I am in the process of locating a coach for a few sessions, but in the meanwhile, I wanted to watch and research the mechanics on my own to see if I could figure it out. My freestyle is atrocious (though at least it propels me forward :)), and I don't really think that it looks "elite" to swim the breast stroke through a full Olympic course ;)  Granted, you do what you have to do...

Thanks!

2008-02-15 12:58 PM

User image

Pro
Happy Friday! Remember to step out of the norm this weekend, and try something new... Hopefully everyone accomplishes what they want!!!

My plans:

Tonight: Jump on the Computrainer followed by a couple glasses of wine...

Tomorrow: 10 mile run w/ the wife

Sunday: Weather permitting get outside for a ride!! Othewise it's on the computrainer, and a trail run

2008-02-15 3:19 PM
in reply to: #1214652

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
We are suppose to have a nice weather weekend and my goal is to get back out on the bike. My husband got me a very cool pair of tri shoes for Valentines Day (Sidi T2's ) and I am very excited to use them.

Goal: bike: 25miles
swim: at least 800m
run: 4 miles

Edited by tahrens 2008-02-15 3:24 PM
2008-02-16 8:48 AM
in reply to: #1214664

New user

My goal is bike 25mi Saturday and rest Sunday. Definately outside, no matter how cold My plan calls for 2 hours on the saddle, and doing this on the trainer isn't my first option

Steve, I have a training question. I am on the 2x 20 week Olympic plan. I have changed around the races I intend to complete, and now the plan has me done in May, but my 2 main races aren't until June and July. How should I structure my training?

Thanks,
Dan
2008-02-16 10:37 AM
in reply to: #1215780

User image

Pro
offwego1234 - 2008-02-16 6:48 AM

My goal is bike 25mi Saturday and rest Sunday. Definately outside, no matter how cold My plan calls for 2 hours on the saddle, and doing this on the trainer isn't my first option

Steve, I have a training question. I am on the 2x 20 week Olympic plan. I have changed around the races I intend to complete, and now the plan has me done in May, but my 2 main races aren't until June and July. How should I structure my training?

Thanks,
Dan

Dan, that should not be a problem... You can do a couple things: Use the next couple weeks to focus on your weakest even (ex: If you hate running spend the next couple weeks ONLY RUNNING) then jump back into your schedue.... Or just go about the schedule then when it is up just continue from 3 or 4 weeks back on the schedule and follow it again!! What is crucial on those schedules is the week before the race.... The TAPER WEEK!!! You don't want to over do it on race week, and go into the race feeling tired.... Hope this helps?!
2008-02-16 1:43 PM

New user

Steve, thanks for the advice. I think I'll go with the 2nd option, and increase the overall length of the plan....thanks again.
2008-02-18 10:04 AM

User image

Pro
Overall I was pleased w/ my workouts last week!! I have failed miserably in the swim challenge you guys set fourth me! I am not sure why I can't drag myself to the pool!!! I guess I just love being outside. I can't commit to the pool for some reason, HOWEVER I WILL TODAY!!!! Even though it is going to be sunny and 50 degree's today! I will forgot the nice weather just to get in the pool... My body is also telling me that it is tired, but my workouts continue to improve, so I will keep pushing forward.....

Last weeks workout totals:
Run: 31 miles
Bike: 49.3 miles

Monthly total:
Bike: 138 Miles(GOAL: 200 miles)
Run: 65 Miles(Goal: 100 miles)
Swim: 2200 yds (Goal---SCREWED!!)

2008-02-18 10:49 PM

User image

Torrance, California

I got flattened by a migraine on Saturday and part of Sunday. I'm hoping to get a good swim and ride in tomorrow before the rain starts. But maybe I should just concentrate on the run for the rest of the month, that would probably help me more than anything. 

2008-02-18 10:50 PM
in reply to: #1212936

User image

Torrance, California
Welcome Ben. Good luck, you've laid out some great goals for yourself.
2008-02-19 8:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Sterling, VA

Aside from a trip up to NYC for the Villanova/St. John's game (and the associated beer, hot dogs and pizza), I was able to get in decent workouts Monday and today.

Does anyone have any suggestions for swim training? I am able to swim "forever" breast stroke, but when I do freestyle, it burns me out quick. I know a lot of it has to do with mechanics, and I can feel my hips rotate when I roll my neck to breath on every other stroke (right side), but I can't seem to stay flat. Additionally, through my pull stroke, I hand "stutters" down near my hip as I balance myself before I can pull it up for the next stroke.

(Describing swimming issues is tough, so if that doesn't make sense, let me know

I probably need to find a coach for a few lessons. It's been years (and even when in the past, I never really trained the swim, just got in the water and struggled) since I had proper instruction. 

Hope everyone's early week training is going well :

2008-02-19 10:33 AM

User image

Pro
Ben,

Maybe try using a "pull bouy." It is a little flotation device that you put between your legs forcing them to stay on top of the water... By doing this it allows you to get used to that feeling of being TOTALLY STRETCHED OUT! You should almost feel like you are climbing a ladder, w/ your body full extended. Hope this helps?
2008-02-19 10:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Sterling, VA

Thanks Steve, I will give that a try. I saw one of my fellow 6am'ers in the pool the other day with one.

Any benefit to a kickboard for building up leg endurance? 

2008-02-19 11:45 AM

User image

Torrance, California
Lifted weights this morning which felt real good, seems like it's been forever. Then hit the treadmill for a 1.5 mile run. I think I run better at the gym than I do at home; I don't know if it's because there's more to look at or what but I think I'll start doing the bulk of my running there instead of the living room. Besides, my dogs keep dropping things onto the tread and then running around to get them when they come off the back side. It's cute but I seem to spend more time avoiding their toys than running.
2008-02-19 12:31 PM
in reply to: #1220269

User image

Pro
MoquiVA - 2008-02-19 8:54 AM

Thanks Steve, I will give that a try. I saw one of my fellow 6am'ers in the pool the other day with one.

Any benefit to a kickboard for building up leg endurance? 

This is a tricky one....

I tend not to use my legs too much!! I like to save them for the bike, and the run, so I primarily use my legs for "rutter's" I flutter kick to stay a float, but I don't kick too much..... Some people have different styles and form that works for them, I am just not a fan of kicking.
2008-02-20 4:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Sterling, VA

How did everyone do today (or plan on doing)?

A nice early one for me, 1150m in the pool, then 18 miles on the LifeCycle (a poor substitue, but it was under 24 degrees and still dark when I started... I am not that much of a masochist... yet.)

I gave your suggestion a try Steve (the buoy) and it  seemed to help. Definitely let me know how week my arms are

Have a great rest of the day everyone and happy training!

-Ben

2008-02-20 8:42 PM

User image

I've been quiet on here for a while, but I've just been plugging along. I'm sticking to my training plan pretty good...although gettting my biking done is still sometimes a challenge. I did do a good 53 min. ride Monday, which may not seem like a lot to some, but was great for me! It makes it easier when the weather is nice, and I have the day off.

Last year I did a marathon training program, and I didn't end up running the marathon, but did the half-marathon. I loved it! The program starts the end of March, and so I'll be running much more than is scheduled on my training plan. My triathlon isn't until May, and by then, we'll be running probably around 9-10 miles. How should I work both training plans at the same time? Should I just chill on the running the week before my triathlon? I'm worried if I miss the big run that weekend to do my triathlon, I'll be off on my running, but then again, I'll be doing a triathlon! Maybe its not that big of a deal...Thanks for your feedback!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - FULL Rss Feed  

of 10