General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 70

2010-08-22 7:44 PM
in reply to: #2453902

User image

Oldham County
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville : Official Thread
Hey Folks,  Just wanted to drop by with some local insight (we live in Oldham Co. near LaGrange).  Weather wise, I was out for a 30 mile ride (yeah, no where near what you folks do) mid-day today and even though the temp was around 89, the humidity was not bad, hot but not stifling like we had a couple of weeks back.  While it's going to be hotter than last years freakishly cool race day, I don't think the weather will be hades hot.  
The out and back on Hwy. 1694:  Use caution at the bottom of the hill when you get to the bridge.  You'll likely have a lot of speed coming down both ways to the bottom.  The surface of the bridge is rough and there will be bike traffic in both lanes so that means limited room for avoiding the rough spots.  Just be extra extra careful there.  
We (the family) drove the rest of the course Saturday and didn't see anything out of the ordinary, there are good stretches of road and then there's some rough pavement as well, but overall not bad.  The bike course is somewhat challenging, but with all the training  you folks have put in, you could do it on a unicycle juggling chainsaws. Smile
I'll be volunteering again this year, so say hey if you happen to recognize me.  
Thur. & Fri. - Athlete Check-in 
Sat. - Swim practice check-in.  Bike & gear check-in. (Son will be with me Sat.)
Sun. - Hwy. 1694 turn-around. (Wife, Son & myself) And then Wife & I will be doing bike catching in the afternoon.  Afterwards we head down to the finish line on 4th Street to cheer you all coming across the finish line.  
Y'all have a great race, take time to enjoy the atmosphere and congratulate yourselves on all the training you have put in.  The race is truly the icing on the cake.
Scott 

2010-08-22 8:10 PM

User image

Regular
Augusta, GA
Subject: Recommended local tattoo artists?
I'm definitely getting an M-Dot tattoo(assuming I finish).  I'm considering getting it on Monday after the race before leaving town. 

My thoughts:
  • I'd like to get it as soon as possible after the race so the healing period can take place during my immediate recovery days....before I'm ready to swim again. 
  • I may possibly do the Augusta 70.3 on 9/26/10.  Crazy, I know, but I registered just after last year's race...before I decided to do IMKY.  And of course this is assuming my recovery goes well.  If not, I'll at least be volunteering for the race, either way it would be nice to sport the M-Dot that day.  After all,  it's right here in my hometown.
  • We have plenty of really good tattooists here in Augusta, but my thoughts are that any artists in a town that has had a few 140.6 events would have lots of experience doing the M-Dot design.
If anyone has any intel on this let me know, especially well-recommended artists (I'd be willing to pay more for skill and experience).  Also, if you know if day-of tattoos are possible, or if there is a waiting period, or appointments required.

Thanks in advance, all.
2010-08-22 8:17 PM
in reply to: #3057735

User image

TN
Scott,Thanks in advance to you and the hundreds of other volunteers who will ensure that our race day is spectacular. We all appreciate your generousity. Aaron
2010-08-22 8:51 PM
in reply to: #3057782

User image

Champion
Butler
Subject: RE: Recommended local tattoo artists?

Cantucan - 2010-08-22 8:10 PM I'm definitely getting an M-Dot tattoo(assuming I finish).  I'm considering getting it on Monday after the race before leaving town. 

My thoughts:

• I'd like to get it as soon as possible after the race so the healing period can take place during my immediate recovery days....before I'm ready to swim again. 
  • I may possibly do the Augusta 70.3 on 9/26/10.  Crazy, I know, but I registered just after last year's race...before I decided to do IMKY.  And of course this is assuming my recovery goes well.  If not, I'll at least be volunteering for the race, either way it would be nice to sport the M-Dot that day.  After all,  it's right here in my hometown.
  • We have plenty of really good tattooists here in Augusta, but my thoughts are that any artists in a town that has had a few 140.6 events would have lots of experience doing the M-Dot design.

If anyone has any intel on this let me know, especially well-recommended artists (I'd be willing to pay more for skill and experience).  Also, if you know if day-of tattoos are possible, or if there is a waiting period, or appointments required.

Thanks in advance, all.

Getting mine too.  Probably not as soon as you.  I knew two brothers who did IMAZ a few years back and went right to the shop after finishing to get theirs.  Probably a good idea since you probably won't feel your legs anyways.

2010-08-22 9:24 PM
in reply to: #3057782

User image

Extreme Veteran
Louisville KY
Subject: RE: Recommended local tattoo artists?
www.tattoocharlies.com He inked me about 20+ years ago, he's dead now, but has a couple shops in town with several artists, his son runs the biz now.

Cantucan - 2010-08-22 9:10 PM

I'm definitely getting an M-Dot tattoo(assuming I finish).  I'm considering getting it on Monday after the race before leaving town. 

My thoughts:

Thanks in advance, all.
2010-08-22 9:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Louisville KY
Hey Scott I'll be working check in on Thursday look me up I'll have last years bright yellow BT IMLOU shirt on under the volunteer shirt.

TyIslander - 2010-08-22 8:44 PM

Hey Folks,  Just wanted to drop by with some local insight (we live in Oldham Co. near LaGrange).  Weather wise, I was out for a 30 mile ride (yeah, no where near what you folks do) mid-day today and even though the temp was around 89, the humidity was not bad, hot but not stifling like we had a couple of weeks back.  While it's going to be hotter than last years freakishly cool race day, I don't think the weather will be hades hot.  
The out and back on Hwy. 1694:  Use caution at the bottom of the hill when you get to the bridge.  You'll likely have a lot of speed coming down both ways to the bottom.  The surface of the bridge is rough and there will be bike traffic in both lanes so that means limited room for avoiding the rough spots.  Just be extra extra careful there.  
We (the family) drove the rest of the course Saturday and didn't see anything out of the ordinary, there are good stretches of road and then there's some rough pavement as well, but overall not bad.  The bike course is somewhat challenging, but with all the training  you folks have put in, you could do it on a unicycle juggling chainsaws. Smile
Sat. - Swim practice check-in.  Bike & gear check-in. (Son will be with me Sat.)
Sun. - Hwy. 1694 turn-around. (Wife, Son & myself) And then Wife & I will be doing bike catching in the afternoon.  Afterwards we head down to the finish line on 4th Street to cheer you all coming across the finish line.  
Y'all have a great race, take time to enjoy the atmosphere and congratulate yourselves on all the training you have put in.  The race is truly the icing on the cake.
Scott 

2010-08-23 12:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Woodland Hills, CA
Getting a tattoo right after, or the day after, the race may not be a good idea.  I'm definitely not an expert on tattoos but I know your body will be pretty thrashed and will need to recover from the event alone and throwing a tattoo on top of that might affect the healing process.  

Prepped the bike today.  

2010-08-23 4:16 AM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA

^^^^^^^^sweet bike.

Thanks for the local info guys and for volunteering!

2010-08-23 6:35 AM

User image

Master
Reston, VA

TyIslander - 2010-08-22 8:44 PM Hey Folks,  Just wanted to drop by with some local insight (we live in Oldham Co. near LaGrange).  Weather wise, I was out for a 30 mile ride (yeah, no where near what you folks do) mid-day today and even though the temp was around 89, the humidity was not bad, hot but not stifling like we had a couple of weeks back.  While it's going to be hotter than last years freakishly cool race day, I don't think the weather will be hades hot.  
Scott 

i will definitely keep my eyes pealed for you and your family.  how nice of you to scout things out for us and volunteer.  this must be the beginning of all the great hospitality i've been hearing about from previous years racers.  thank you so much!!!!!

2010-08-23 9:54 AM

User image

Regular
Eden Prairie
Strangely comforting to hear about the anxiety some other first time IMs are experiencing. Went for a 56-mile easy spinning "race replication" ride Sunday morning and it sucked. I've done 100 mile rides that felt better and didn't leave me feeling so out of it. Though I've been doing tri's for 14 years, including HIMs, and thought I was way past pre-race anxiety etc....However, I've invested alot into this (as has my wonderful supportive better half) and potential negatives, like the weather, what to eat/not eat etc...etc...etc...seem magnified and are frankly freaking me out a bit.

I especially like the online guides that suggest reducing stress/anxiety by taking an hour a day to sit quietly and calmly visualize the race/burp your inner child etc...heck I hardly see my own children an hour a day....anyhow, guess I'll have to figure out another way to address the anxiety, like visualizing SpongeBob Square Pants doing an IM .

We are driving down to Louisville Thursday...looking forward to seeing you there
2010-08-23 10:09 AM

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA
I will be heading up to Louisville on Thursday morning, staying at the Holiday Inn in Clarksville, right on the other side of the river. A couple of practice rides and runs is all I really have planned, just chilling out by the pool is mostly what I will be doing. Are we going for a group meetup at one point? I would love to actually meet some of the people whos life I have been reading about for the past few months

2010-08-23 10:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westfield, In
I am heading down Friday morning. Not that long of a drive from Indy.

I am sitting in my office getting nothing done my mind is already in Louisville.
2010-08-23 10:35 AM

User image

Regular
Eden Prairie
How about a casual BT meet up at Galt House Thursday, 5:30 pm at the casual Thelma's in the Conservatory http://www.galthouse.com/Dining/Thelmas-Deli.asp

2010-08-23 11:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Louisville, KY
I just wanted to drop in here and wish everyone good luck.
I am volunteering doing the weigh in on Thursday, Swim practice Saturday, working the swim finish on Sunday, and chip retrieval later in the day.  Look forward to seeing you guys cross the finish line!  Have a great race.
2010-08-23 12:11 PM
in reply to: #3058796

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA
F4rword - 2010-08-23 11:35 AM

How about a casual BT meet up at Galt House Thursday, 5:30 pm at the casual Thelma's in the Conservatory http://www.galthouse.com/Dining/Thelmas-Deli.asp

Im up for it. Anyone want to try and do a practice swim as a group?
2010-08-23 12:19 PM
in reply to: #3059077

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glen Burnie, MD
15step - 2010-08-23 1:11 PM
F4rword - 2010-08-23 11:35 AM How about a casual BT meet up at Galt House Thursday, 5:30 pm at the casual Thelma's in the Conservatory http://www.galthouse.com/Dining/Thelmas-Deli.asp

I'm down for that - meet up at the practice swim..

2010-08-23 12:52 PM

User image

Expert
I am in for the Galt house and for the swim get together.  I also plan on a 15 minute run and 15 to 20 minute spin on the bike Saturday morning.  Anyone else?

Edited by elcaminobill 2010-08-23 12:52 PM
2010-08-23 12:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Woodland Hills, CA
I can't make it for a Thursday meet up, but I'll be at the practice swim and underpants run on Saturday and will throw in 15 minutes on the bike sometime as well. 
2010-08-23 2:47 PM
in reply to: #3059197

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA
elcaminobill - 2010-08-23 1:52 PM

I am in for the Galt house and for the swim get together.  I also plan on a 15 minute run and 15 to 20 minute spin on the bike Saturday morning.  Anyone else?

Here is my next few days:

Thursday - 49" bike
Friday - 30" run, 30" swim
Saturday - 29" bike, 15" swim

I am up for meeting with anyone for those final workouts if anyone will have me!
2010-08-23 3:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Latonia, Kentucky (near Cincinnati)
The weekend forecast is constantly changing.  Yesterday it said "89 degrees with 40% chance of rain."  This morning it said "90 degrees with 0%, and this evening it's 91 degrees with 10%".  Why do they even try?  It's just nuts to see them constantly changing it. 
2010-08-23 3:52 PM

User image

Expert
Lancaster, PA
Thanks for Volunteering and information- definitely be in the look out for you.

TyIslander - 2010-08-21 8:44 PM Hey Folks,  Just wanted to drop by with some local insight (we live in Oldham Co. near LaGrange).  Weather wise, I was out for a 30 mile ride (yeah, no where near what you folks do) mid-day today and even though the temp was around 89, the humidity was not bad, hot but not stifling like we had a couple of weeks back.  While it's going to be hotter than last years freakishly cool race day, I don't think the weather will be hades hot.  
Scott 

2010-08-23 3:53 PM
in reply to: #3059580

Veteran
Vicksburg
I know many of you are fixing to start traveling for the race so I will say my good luck everyone today.  If you remember a bike wreck last month knocked me out of the race due to a severe shoulder AC tear that required surgery.  I am still coming up to IMLou and watch my training partners race though so if you see a short fellow wearing a  Picnic Boys racing shirt just holler that will be peewee.
2010-08-23 3:55 PM
in reply to: #3058027

User image

Expert
Lancaster, PA
Sweet ride!

Destroyer - 2010-08-22 1:38 AM Getting a tattoo right after, or the day after, the race may not be a good idea.  I'm definitely not an expert on tattoos but I know your body will be pretty thrashed and will need to recover from the event alone and throwing a tattoo on top of that might affect the healing process.  

Prepped the bike today.  

2010-08-23 3:57 PM
in reply to: #3059009

User image

Expert
Lancaster, PA
Thanks for volunteering M-shell- hopefully we'll get a chance to meet ya'.
M-shell - 2010-08-22 12:49 PM I just wanted to drop in here and wish everyone good luck.
I am volunteering doing the weigh in on Thursday, Swim practice Saturday, working the swim finish on Sunday, and chip retrieval later in the day.  Look forward to seeing you guys cross the finish line!  Have a great race.
2010-08-23 4:00 PM
in reply to: #3059094

User image

Expert
Lancaster, PA
dolelicious - 2010-08-22 1:19 PM
15step - 2010-08-23 1:11 PM
F4rword - 2010-08-23 11:35 AM How about a casual BT meet up at Galt House Thursday, 5:30 pm at the casual Thelma's in the Conservatory http://www.galthouse.com/Dining/Thelmas-Deli.asp

I'm down for that - meet up at the practice swim..

I can't make the meet up on Thursday. I'll be getting to the Gault on Friday.
What time are you guys planning the swim on Friday or are you guys talking about the swim practice on Saturday?

thomas 
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 70