BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 66

2013-04-07 2:32 PM
in reply to: #4542607

User image

Calgary, AB
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED

Yowsa!  Way to go Randy!

Was hoping for a bike ride today, but we have SNOW Surprised so it might be a treadmill day.  Only 7 days until my tri and the temperature forecast is only 40F!  Think we can switch it to skate, snowmobile, ski?

2013-04-07 3:18 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Wow! Thanks everyone for following me through the day. Ended up 6/163 in age group. There are 3 Vegas slots for my AG so unlikely to get a roll down but I'm headed back just in case. Died on the last lap of the run.....felt I had 4:45 as a possibility but heat, humidity and the miles got to me.

Will check in later. Thanks again for all the support.

2013-04-07 5:56 PM
in reply to: #4689801

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Hoos - 2013-04-07 2:23 AM

So I gotta ask -- Nate & Jamie -- what's it like out there?   Are you guys continually trying to one-up each other?  Do you encourage?  Trash talk?    Dirty tricks?   Do tell!  

Scott.

I can't speak for Nate, but I'm pretty happy with the training/racing we do. We're both competitive enough that we want to do well, but we never seem to have much competition between us. When I was training for my HM awhile back, a guy I ran with in a group was one of those "I have to push at the end of every run to be ahead of you" type of guys. Nate saw the two of us have a sprint finish one day after a 10-mile run because I just got pissed he had to win, even when it wasn't a competition. On our training rides and runs, we pretty much match pace and just get the miles/time in.

Of course, given that he is faster than me in every discipline, there's not a lot of direct competition between us! We're pretty mutually supportive, and it's nice to look forward to having someone to talk to on those long weekend workouts. Now, having said that, if Nate ever loses a step, somehow, and it's a foot race at the end of a race, I'm sure he'd agree that all bets would be off and it'd be every man for himself. Wink

2013-04-07 6:18 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jamie/Nate-great to have a solid training partner. Someone that pushes you to do your best but not necessarily in a competitive way.

No Vegas slot for me. There were 3 available for the AG and the top 3 all took their slots. Oh well, I have Eagleman in June which has both Kona and Vegas slots so more potential for a Vegas slot there hopefully. Funny thing is that I would love to qualify for Vegas 70.3 World Championships but not sure I would actually want to race it. A hot, very hilly bike and run course. Maybe I would just go and do it as a "fun" race and not compete??.....unfortunately that's not in my DNA.

This was my first WTC event and they do a good job. Lots of fast looking and fit people with lots of nice bikes. You would think Cervelo P5 tri bikes were cheap......saw dozens of them and I think they start around $6,000. Passed a bunch of them too!

Thanks for the support. So cool to find out that people were checking on my progress. What a a great group!   

2013-04-07 7:36 PM
in reply to: #4690410

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
slornow - 2013-04-07 7:18 PM

Jamie/Nate-great to have a solid training partner. Someone that pushes you to do your best but not necessarily in a competitive way.

No Vegas slot for me. There were 3 available for the AG and the top 3 all took their slots. Oh well, I have Eagleman in June which has both Kona and Vegas slots so more potential for a Vegas slot there hopefully. Funny thing is that I would love to qualify for Vegas 70.3 World Championships but not sure I would actually want to race it. A hot, very hilly bike and run course. Maybe I would just go and do it as a "fun" race and not compete??.....unfortunately that's not in my DNA.

This was my first WTC event and they do a good job. Lots of fast looking and fit people with lots of nice bikes. You would think Cervelo P5 tri bikes were cheap......saw dozens of them and I think they start around $6,000. Passed a bunch of them too!

Thanks for the support. So cool to find out that people were checking on my progress. What a a great group!   

Sorry to hear about the slots being taken, but that'll just give you more motivation to work toward Eagleman! And it always feel good to pass someone who's spent more and trained less...

2013-04-07 11:02 PM

User image

Regular
Wichita, KS
Nate/Jamie - great race you guys. I'm jealous in the fact that you have good partners to train and race with.Randy - what a great race! There must have been quite a collection of athletes there for you to get 6th in your AG with a time like that. We are all proud of you and thank you for being such a good mentor.Count me in for another round of mentoring. Sorry for being so inconsistent in reporting in. Work and life are so fluctuant in this life as a trauma/critical care physician. I have slower times and crazy ones. Spring is one of those very busy times.Got in a good 36 mile ride Saturday but the 20-30 mph winds really made it tough. My 5k run today was slower than I wanted due to the soreness from yesterday's ride. I have a lighter work week coming so I should have a good week of training.

2013-04-08 6:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany/Saratoga, NY area

Micheal/Nate/Jamie/Randy-Congrats on the races!! You guys are amazing!

As for a new mentor group-I've loved being a part of this one and have really appreciated all the information and support (Rene especially sent me a lot of inspires when I really needed them) but I'm not very tri-focused right now and am not sure if that will change going into summer. I might join anyway if that's ok but if I don't it's just because I don't know what I'm doing right now.

2013-04-08 8:04 AM
in reply to: #4690391

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

Randy, great job on your race. Those times seem pretty amazing! Sorry you weren't able to get a slot, but the season is still young

WoodrowCall - 2013-04-07 6:56 PM 

I can't speak for Nate, but I'm pretty happy with the training/racing we do. We're both competitive enough that we want to do well, but we never seem to have much competition between us. When I was training for my HM awhile back, a guy I ran with in a group was one of those "I have to push at the end of every run to be ahead of you" type of guys. Nate saw the two of us have a sprint finish one day after a 10-mile run because I just got pissed he had to win, even when it wasn't a competition. On our training rides and runs, we pretty much match pace and just get the miles/time in.

Of course, given that he is faster than me in every discipline, there's not a lot of direct competition between us! We're pretty mutually supportive, and it's nice to look forward to having someone to talk to on those long weekend workouts. Now, having said that, if Nate ever loses a step, somehow, and it's a foot race at the end of a race, I'm sure he'd agree that all bets would be off and it'd be every man for himself. Wink

I agree with everything Jamie said. We are both competitive, but we seem to have a pretty good deal of respect for each other and don't participate in any smack talk or dirty tricks... (none that HE knows of anyways...Innocent

But seriously, we do support each other a lot and it's extremely helpful and motivating to have someone to go on the long runs and rides with. It's also very nice to not have to go to a race alone.

2013-04-08 8:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
Also, thanks to everyone for the congrats!
2013-04-08 1:47 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Congratulations everyone on a great weekend of racing.

I am happy to hear that we are going to have most everyone stick around for the next session. You are all welcome.

I ran yesterday, doing half mile hard repeats x 12. It totally destroyed me. The run, on top of the cumulative training load of the week, knocked me on my butt. I was walking around all day like an 80 year old status post knee replacement. Trips up and down the stairs were a struggle. I thought about sleeping in this morning but instead got up and swam and almost immediately felt so much better. I am starting to really believe in the rejuvenating effects of time in the pool.

On other fronts in the wannabefaster world...... I didn't drive all weekend. I made my 15 year old son with a learner's permit drive me everywhere. It is no longer terrifying to be in the car with him, just occasionally mildly concerning. Driving really is a lot about experience and there is no way to get it except for by driving. I think I may have a few more grey hairs.........
2013-04-08 2:11 PM
in reply to: #4691778

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee

wannabefaster - 2013-04-08 2:47 PM Congratulations everyone on a great weekend of racing. I am happy to hear that we are going to have most everyone stick around for the next session. You are all welcome. I ran yesterday, doing half mile hard repeats x 12. It totally destroyed me. The run, on top of the cumulative training load of the week, knocked me on my butt. I was walking around all day like an 80 year old status post knee replacement. Trips up and down the stairs were a struggle. I thought about sleeping in this morning but instead got up and swam and almost immediately felt so much better. I am starting to really believe in the rejuvenating effects of time in the pool. On other fronts in the wannabefaster world...... I didn't drive all weekend. I made my 15 year old son with a learner's permit drive me everywhere. It is no longer terrifying to be in the car with him, just occasionally mildly concerning. Driving really is a lot about experience and there is no way to get it except for by driving. I think I may have a few more grey hairs.........

Hey, a couple quick questions about this higher intensity training. When you hurt, how do you hurt? Nowadays, every time I hurt, I get worried I'm getting injured. I don't do anything differently because of it, and so far I haven't had any injuries, but if I run, and then my knee aches, I get worried. How do you rationalize soreness vs. injury? I ask because my training is involving more and more Z4, which is leaving me more sore than I'm used to.

Also, how do you measure hard? Do you go by pace, HR, or effort?

Thanks! 

2013-04-08 5:55 PM

User image

Master

Man, my mentors are awesome! Great job, racers! Sorry no Vegas slot for you at this race, Randy. Next one!

I'm very proud of myself. I changed out my 1st flat on my bike and even found the thing that gave me the flat :

Hills on the bike today. Have a great evening!

Edited by Blanda 2013-04-08 5:55 PM
2013-04-08 6:16 PM
in reply to: #4691815

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
WoodrowCall - 2013-04-08 3:11 PM

wannabefaster - 2013-04-08 2:47 PM Congratulations everyone on a great weekend of racing. I am happy to hear that we are going to have most everyone stick around for the next session. You are all welcome. I ran yesterday, doing half mile hard repeats x 12. It totally destroyed me. The run, on top of the cumulative training load of the week, knocked me on my butt. I was walking around all day like an 80 year old status post knee replacement. Trips up and down the stairs were a struggle. I thought about sleeping in this morning but instead got up and swam and almost immediately felt so much better. I am starting to really believe in the rejuvenating effects of time in the pool. On other fronts in the wannabefaster world...... I didn't drive all weekend. I made my 15 year old son with a learner's permit drive me everywhere. It is no longer terrifying to be in the car with him, just occasionally mildly concerning. Driving really is a lot about experience and there is no way to get it except for by driving. I think I may have a few more grey hairs.........

Hey, a couple quick questions about this higher intensity training. When you hurt, how do you hurt? Nowadays, every time I hurt, I get worried I'm getting injured. I don't do anything differently because of it, and so far I haven't had any injuries, but if I run, and then my knee aches, I get worried. How do you rationalize soreness vs. injury? I ask because my training is involving more and more Z4, which is leaving me more sore than I'm used to.

Also, how do you measure hard? Do you go by pace, HR, or effort?

Thanks! 

I mostly hurt with muscle aches in my quads and calves. My muscles have really been bothering me down where my quads insert distally at the knee. I have a little bit of stiffness in my hip flexors. Fortunately all of these things seem to get better pretty quickly when I warm up and get moving and that is really my litmus test for if is it serious or not.

I have some soreness in my right hamstring that has been ongoing for awhile and is threatening to become problematic. It doesn't completely go away with warmup/training. I am very aware of it and have been doing some extra stretching and foam rolling of this area. After yesterday's run my left iliotibial band was a little tender as well and I have had problems there before so it got a little extra stretching.

I have an old right knee injury that makes my medial portion of that knee tender at times but it has been going on for so long that I just sort of keep mental tabs on it to make sure it is not worsening significantly.

I think a lot of this is just training like a mad man at age 41.

My effort is all measured against prior testing. On the bike I have a threshold power determined by the 5/20 testing protocol. All of my bicycling is then done by power as a percentage of this threshold power. Running is measured against critical pace, which is essentially 5K pace. Hard is 5K pace. Swimming paces are set by 200/500/1000 TT to determine training paces. My coach takes all of this information and formulates a training plan using these paces. Sometimes I think he is trying to kill me.
2013-04-08 7:36 PM
in reply to: #4692193

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee

I mostly hurt with muscle aches in my quads and calves. My muscles have really been bothering me down where my quads insert distally at the knee. I have a little bit of stiffness in my hip flexors. Fortunately all of these things seem to get better pretty quickly when I warm up and get moving and that is really my litmus test for if is it serious or not. I have some soreness in my right hamstring that has been ongoing for awhile and is threatening to become problematic. It doesn't completely go away with warmup/training. I am very aware of it and have been doing some extra stretching and foam rolling of this area. After yesterday's run my left iliotibial band was a little tender as well and I have had problems there before so it got a little extra stretching. I have an old right knee injury that makes my medial portion of that knee tender at times but it has been going on for so long that I just sort of keep mental tabs on it to make sure it is not worsening significantly. I think a lot of this is just training like a mad man at age 41. My effort is all measured against prior testing. On the bike I have a threshold power determined by the 5/20 testing protocol. All of my bicycling is then done by power as a percentage of this threshold power. Running is measured against critical pace, which is essentially 5K pace. Hard is 5K pace. Swimming paces are set by 200/500/1000 TT to determine training paces. My coach takes all of this information and formulates a training plan using these paces. Sometimes I think he is trying to kill me.

Thanks for the info; that all sounds about right as far as soreness goes. As far as that threshold training goes, I think that would kill me. I can't imagine 5k pace at that volume. Yikes. Well done!

2013-04-09 7:58 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jamie-on the high intensity soreness/injury issue I'm having pretty much the same aches and pains that Jason listed. Sore quads, calves and tight hamstrings. Typically these are worse after a hard run or some hard intervals. I rarely have soreness after a hard bike or swim...just fatigue.  I try to stay consistent with my foam roller, trigger point roller and stretching to keep these issues in check. If something gets more problematic or doesn't subside like normal soreness I'll go to my chiropractor for ART (active release therapy) and that seems to be better at resolving the more significant problems.

On the issue of pacing/judging your effort level my response mirrors Jason's. I use the same Coach and the workouts are built around various testing done on the bike/swim and run. All data is input into a software program called Raceday developed by Dr. Phil Skiba. Its pretty scientific and measures/calculates your positive versus negative training loads and will "predict" where you should be in terms of fitness come the day of your race. I have not played with it much but its pretty interesting. After inputing each workout it assigns a TSS "training stress score" to the workout and then uses that info keep up with your training load. Really becomes more scientific as you taper. I think it is most useful if you use power on the bike with your workouts although I suspect there is a way to utilize the software efficiently without.  I think there is a free trial if you are interested in checking it out.  

I made it home yesterday afternoon after the 8 hour drive from Galveston. Not the best way to spend the day after a hard race. Still tired and my quads are still sore/tight but other than that and just being tired I think I'll be OK.  Thanks to everyone for the kind words following the race. Qualifying for Vegas is and always has been a longshot type of goal. If I do thats great if I don't I'll be fine. I was pleased with my race on Sunday and know that I gave it everything I had on that day.  It was a 40 minute PR over my only other HIM in Nov. 2010

2013-04-09 4:27 PM

User image

Expert

Awesome race Randy!  wow!  

I too appreciate the excellent mentors and outstanding folks we have in this group.  I am now back into higher hours per week training, and getting so excited for the upcoming season.  Having dealt with some difficult issues recently, I ave not been as active as usual.  I would love to be part of this mentor group again. 

1 hr 40 min bike this afternoon.    Jim

2013-04-09 6:23 PM

User image

New user
Hi guys, I tried a brick this afternoon. I did 10 miles on the stationary bike then did my 4 mile run/walk. I am up to two miles jogging out of the first three miles. I jog 2 laps and walk one then walk the fourth mile.Of course this isn't the same as outside biking but I was pleased with how it went.
2013-04-09 8:23 PM
in reply to: #4692721

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
slornow - 2013-04-09 8:58 AM

Jamie-on the high intensity soreness/injury issue I'm having pretty much the same aches and pains that Jason listed. Sore quads, calves and tight hamstrings. Typically these are worse after a hard run or some hard intervals. I rarely have soreness after a hard bike or swim...just fatigue.  I try to stay consistent with my foam roller, trigger point roller and stretching to keep these issues in check. If something gets more problematic or doesn't subside like normal soreness I'll go to my chiropractor for ART (active release therapy) and that seems to be better at resolving the more significant problems.

On the issue of pacing/judging your effort level my response mirrors Jason's. I use the same Coach and the workouts are built around various testing done on the bike/swim and run. All data is input into a software program called Raceday developed by Dr. Phil Skiba. Its pretty scientific and measures/calculates your positive versus negative training loads and will "predict" where you should be in terms of fitness come the day of your race. I have not played with it much but its pretty interesting. After inputing each workout it assigns a TSS "training stress score" to the workout and then uses that info keep up with your training load. Really becomes more scientific as you taper. I think it is most useful if you use power on the bike with your workouts although I suspect there is a way to utilize the software efficiently without.  I think there is a free trial if you are interested in checking it out.  

I made it home yesterday afternoon after the 8 hour drive from Galveston. Not the best way to spend the day after a hard race. Still tired and my quads are still sore/tight but other than that and just being tired I think I'll be OK.  Thanks to everyone for the kind words following the race. Qualifying for Vegas is and always has been a longshot type of goal. If I do thats great if I don't I'll be fine. I was pleased with my race on Sunday and know that I gave it everything I had on that day.  It was a 40 minute PR over my only other HIM in Nov. 2010

Thanks for the input on soreness and training; I have a feeling I'll have a little of that tomorrow. I think the days of relaxing runs are behind me, as all my run-only days now have ever-increasing amount of Z4 work in them. Tonight was an hour run, with 2x6 minutes of Z4 at 10 minutes in. I thought that 2nd set was going to kill me; I had a stitch in my side that was killing me! 

Also, a 40-minute improvement in PR is pretty amazing!

2013-04-10 6:54 AM
in reply to: #4693939

User image

Master

Chunga - 2013-04-09 10:23 PM Hi guys, I tried a brick this afternoon. I did 10 miles on the stationary bike then did my 4 mile run/walk. I am up to two miles jogging out of the first three miles. I jog 2 laps and walk one then walk the fourth mile.Of course this isn't the same as outside biking but I was pleased with how it went.

Excellent!! Keep it up and you'll be jogging all of the set miles on your run.

2013-04-10 10:25 AM

User image

Calgary, AB

Kudos for me!  I'm on a business trip (Houston) and managed to a run last night, AND a swim this morning.   Hotel pool was surprisingly good -- 25 yard pool with lane ropes and everything.    Pool was a bit shallow so I kept touching the bottom with my long arms, but c'est la vie...

The current forecast for my sprint tri on Sunday:

• High of -1C (30F)
  • Low of -7C (20F)
  • 60% chance of snow
  • No I am not making this up

Any bets on whether they'll shift it indoors?  It's at a university -- swim is in the pool, and in case of inclement weather they will convert it to an aquathlon using their indoor track.  

If they keep it outside, I'll definitely need to consider my clothing strategy...!

Scott.

2013-04-10 10:36 AM
in reply to: #4694695

User image

Master
South Alabama

Scott-good work on getting your workouts in while on the road. BRRR! If they don't move it inside you will freeze! Hope it goes well.

Mary-keep up the good work. You are continuing to make steady progress.

2013-04-10 11:54 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
2013-04-10 5:52 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Randy, nice race report and great race! It always feels good when you can say at the end that you have given all you had. That swim result, 17/163, 1:36/100 yards, is pretty impressive. And you said you would never be a swimmer.

Speaking of swimming. We had some rainy weather here in Michigan. Someone reported some lightning at around 5:40 this morning and they made us all get out of the pool. I was a little irritated at not being able to finish my swim (but I was polite, I know the lifeguard is just enforcing the rules). As near as I can tell, closing indoor pools when lightning is spotted is a universal rule but not one based on evidence. I am unable to find a single report of someone in an indoor pool being injured by a lightning strike. Anyone in the group ever heard a story of a friend of a friend of your uncle Bill's third cousin who died this way?
2013-04-10 6:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Denton
I swim at a City Natatorium that is being used by the ISD and the City. I have yet to see the pool close! Not once! The only thing they closed was the kiddy pool due to some brown stuff floating ... :-)
2013-04-10 8:32 PM

User image

Expert

Randy - fantastic race report.  I have 2 questions:

1)  How do you decide when and how many salt tablets to take?

2)  I am very impressed that you had so much energy on the run.  Do you think this is more the result of bike vs run fitness or both?  (Does this question make sense?)

Jason - I too was swimming at 5 am.  When I finished around 6 am, I notice the lightning.  I don't know how the lifegaurd could have missed it.  I think she just ignored it.  The pool was very crowded and I'm grateful she didn't blow the whistle.  A different guard, who also works mornings would have evacuated the pool at even the mere mention of a lightning threat.  Guess I lucked out.  I too am not aware of any data to back up the lighting risk for indoor swimmers.  Personally, if I'm up that early swimming, I'll take the risk.....

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 66