BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2010-09-27 2:11 PM
in reply to: #2555906

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
Subject: RE: Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed.
I'm sure my tri season is done.  I don't think there are anymore in the area until next April.  And if there were I don't think I'd want to do one anyways.  But I am sure I'll feel differently next week.  Yesterday, I was thinking I'd never want to do another IM again.  Today, I am thinking, what would I do differently next time.  Ha!

My run was the worst leg in both races I did this year.  I think I am going to start running again in late October and  work on my 5k speed.  I'll run some winter/ spring 5k's and just have fun with it.  I may even try Jorge's winter maintenance program starting in January.  Next year, nothing but sprint tris for this clydsedale!  I've got my eye on an open water sprint in July.

Looking forward to hearing everyone's off season goals and keeping track of your training through the fall and winter.

2010-09-27 3:52 PM

User image

NH
My tri season is done as well.  I will be primarily running and trying to get my 5k time down to something which is more on par with my swim and bike placing.  I have no idea what would be a reasonable goal to hit by late January, which is when I'll switch to biking and Jorge's plan. 

If my 5k PR is 23:18 right now, does anyone have any ideas what would be reasonable improvement from now until then?  And how to best achieve it?

I'm dedicating next year to sprints as well.  Maybe an Oly, but there aren't many around here.  The whole family just decided that short course would be better for all of us for now, and give me a lot more flexibility if something comes up which interferes with training.  I'm also really looking forward to figuring out how to shorten my transition times!

I'll be posting and checking everyone's logs and also really looking forward to keeping this thing going as this is an outstanding motivational group.
2010-09-27 4:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CA
My tri season is pretty much done as well but I'm considering an off-road tri in October just for fun if I can doctor up my son's old mountain bike. I'm also looking at doing a marathon or a half marathon with some other members of my extended family as motivation to keep going through winter.
2010-09-27 5:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!
I'm going to run a 1/2 mar in Nov. (I think Nov. 7 or weekend of Halloween) and finish the year off with my normal Dec. sprint tri. So, while everyone is just now winding down, I'm starting up.
2010-09-27 7:43 PM
in reply to: #3120451

User image

Veteran
Orange, CA
Warren, I'd think you could hit 7 minute pace right around 22 pretty well from that range with a few months work. That was my goal for last years early spring 5k and I barely made it.

Certainly I'm not the fastest but I like to think I am so I'll weigh in here ;-)
When I want to work speed, I keep doing my regular run pace for most of my stuff but then I mix in some race tempo stuff here and there. Like do every other mile of a 5 miler at 7 min pace. It gives me a chance to feel what it's like and a chance to recover. I also throw in some speed work at the track. I'm not convinced this is helpful but it's definitely a good workout and it sometimes feels good to go fast maybe once a week. I also stretch a little more since I think going faster is more strenuous on my legs (particularly hamstrings which are always my tightest group).

2010-09-27 9:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
I just signed up for a sprint today, it's in 2 weeks.  I wanted to do a local race, but was out of town for most of them, then got hurt the week before the one I signed up for.  This one is just a few miles from my house and it's a sprint.  It will probably be my buddies first tri ever, so it will be just for fun race for me.  I also have the HIM B2B in November, marking that up again as another long catered training day towards IM CDA goal.

Edited by mdfahy 2010-09-27 9:32 PM

2010-09-28 5:55 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Sadly, my season is done. I missed my last two races (one Oly, one sprint). While in New Mexico, I looked around for a half marathon I could do over the winter (I really liked having that focus last year), but haven't determined anything yet. I'm still on the fence about what distance to do next year - it sounds like a lot of you that have done the HIM distance are cutting back to shorter distances due to the time commitments...and I'm thinking another year of building a base may be wise. That being said - the pull of the longer distance is hard for me to resist.

Sounds like Matt is fully loaded and ready to continue competing year round! Couldn't you fit IMCOZ in there anywhere? (Just kidding - although, it would be fun). I'd be very interested in hearing about B2B - it's on my list for a future race.

Jeremy - your plan sounds great - the Jingle Bell tri is a reverse - right? After doing a few runs in ABQ, I realized what a huge impact the altitude had on my ability to suck in air...I bet if you came down to sea level - you would kick some serious booty.

Ray - I have heard that many people say at the end of their IM day - "One and done" and a few days later are thinking about what they could do to improve the next time out. You did a fabulous job. The feeling of accomplishment should be amazing. But (on the other hand) - now you know what to expect.

Warren - I don't know much about running (just take a look at my speed!), but I have to agree with Bob - some speed work can help (based on what I've seen/read/heard). Runner's World (either on-line or on the shelf) has a few plans for speed work - might be worth a look.

Bob - Wow! Just keep doing what you're doing. And keep us in the loop so we can aspire to be as fast as you!

Aaron - please keep stopping by and letting us know what's up. You've got a lot of great experience we can use. (at least I can use)

Last weekend was tough - As I was flying back to Maine, I realized I had just missed the starting gun for my final race. I know it was the right thing to do - but it is also so disappointing to miss the races after so much training.
2010-09-28 8:56 AM

User image

NH
A fellow triathlete friend just sent me this link:

No excuses

This is my fear.  There are lots of DS1 alarms, and lots of other alarms which may raise as a result of DS1 issues.

We may need to have a discussion and decide how to soak every appropriate alarm.  Does Charter have any ETA for fixing this outside issue?

2010-09-28 9:37 AM
in reply to: #3120993

User image

Elite

itsallrelative_Maine - 2010-09-28 6:55 AM Sadly, my season is done. I missed my last two races (one Oly, one sprint). While in New Mexico, I looked around for a half marathon I could do over the winter (I really liked having that focus last year), but haven't determined anything yet. I'm still on the fence about what distance to do next year - it sounds like a lot of you that have done the HIM distance are cutting back to shorter distances due to the time commitments...and I'm thinking another year of building a base may be wise. That being said - the pull of the longer distance is hard for me to resist.

Sounds like Matt is fully loaded and ready to continue competing year round! Couldn't you fit IMCOZ in there anywhere? (Just kidding - although, it would be fun). I'd be very interested in hearing about B2B - it's on my list for a future race.

Jeremy - your plan sounds great - the Jingle Bell tri is a reverse - right? After doing a few runs in ABQ, I realized what a huge impact the altitude had on my ability to suck in air...I bet if you came down to sea level - you would kick some serious booty.

Ray - I have heard that many people say at the end of their IM day - "One and done" and a few days later are thinking about what they could do to improve the next time out. You did a fabulous job. The feeling of accomplishment should be amazing. But (on the other hand) - now you know what to expect.

Warren - I don't know much about running (just take a look at my speed!), but I have to agree with Bob - some speed work can help (based on what I've seen/read/heard). Runner's World (either on-line or on the shelf) has a few plans for speed work - might be worth a look.

Bob - Wow! Just keep doing what you're doing. And keep us in the loop so we can aspire to be as fast as you!

Aaron - please keep stopping by and letting us know what's up. You've got a lot of great experience we can use. (at least I can use)

Last weekend was tough - As I was flying back to Maine, I realized I had just missed the starting gun for my final race. I know it was the right thing to do - but it is also so disappointing to miss the races after so much training.

I will continue to stop by. Just been busy. My season is done as well. I have 2 road races planned and a possible duathlon. Good luck to those still racing. We have had quite a good run. We can keep this going as long as we want or until Ron tells us to stop.

2010-09-28 10:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
2010-09-29 9:23 AM
in reply to: #3120268

User image

Veteran
Richmond
wbayek - 2010-09-27 3:52 PM If my 5k PR is 23:18 right now, does anyone have any ideas what would be reasonable improvement from now until then?  And how to best achieve it?

I've mentioned this program in the past, Run Less, Run Faster, it worked extremely well for my marathon last year, but it has specific programs for 5k up to marathons.  They break down your goal time to specific training days and paces, very structured if that is what you like.  I just liked it because I didn't have to think of how to get to my goal, it was like a math equation, you do this, you get this result and it worked fantasically.

http://www2.furman.edu/sites/first/Pages/default.aspx

http://www2.furman.edu/sites/first/Pages/default.aspx

Hope this helps or at least gives you some ideas on track workouts.  The book is very good and an easy read.

2010-09-29 12:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
Just wanted to share a few things post IM.

1.  My wife told me yesterday that she wants to do a 5k.  She even picked out a race and found a couch-to-5k plan.  She hates running!  That is so exciting to me.

2.  A friend who is a teacher, told me about one of her kindergarten students, Justin.  Justin's dad is on the fired department with me, and we spend lots of time together.  The teacher witnessed Justin being beat up on by a girl at recess.  He was doing nothing to defend himself.  The teacher broke up the situation and told Justin what a good boy he was for not hitting a girl.  He responded, "Well, I've been working out a lot, you know training for an ironman like Ray, and I was afraid that I'd hurt her."

3.  I received this e-mail from the wife of another fireman.  "I just wanted to pass along to you and Ray what happened at dinner Sunday night with my
> family....
> My mom, dad, Heath, Jackson, Parker and I met at Mazzio's for dinner. During the course of
> the evening, my mom asked the boys if anything exciting had been going on. Of course, they
> hem-haw about how nothing is happening. Suddenly, Parker lit up. He said, "Dee Dee, guess
> who I know?!" Parker proceeds to tell my mom how he knows Iron Man, he has met him and
> he goes to our church. Iron Man 2 the movie is coming out soon so we have seen lots of
> previews so I naturally assume this is what he is talking about. He goes on to say that he
> can't wait to tell everyone at school about knowing Iron Man. I reminded him that he can't
> stretch the truth at school even if using our imagination is fun. He looks at me like I am the
> stupidest human on earth (I should probably get used to that) and says, "Mom, Iron Man
> DOES go to our church. I saw him TODAY! He is married to Ms. Jennifer..." Heath started to
> correct him about what an Iron Man competition is but I just told him to let it go. So right now,
> Ray IS Iron Man and you are the wife of Iron Man.
> Thought you might enjoy---also thought that might help explain if Parker starts staring at you
> guys in awe while at church

Edited by ray6foot7 2010-09-29 12:37 PM
2010-09-29 12:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
As far a 5k training, this is what I am going to follow for a few months and see how it goes.  I'll keep you posted.

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=19258
2010-09-29 1:12 PM
in reply to: #3120268

User image

Expert
WA
wbayek - 2010-09-27 1:52 AM My tri season is done as well.  I will be primarily running and trying to get my 5k time down to something which is more on par with my swim and bike placing.  I have no idea what would be a reasonable goal to hit by late January, which is when I'll switch to biking and Jorge's plan. 

If my 5k PR is 23:18 right now, does anyone have any ideas what would be reasonable improvement from now until then?  And how to best achieve it?

I'm dedicating next year to sprints as well.  Maybe an Oly, but there aren't many around here.  The whole family just decided that short course would be better for all of us for now, and give me a lot more flexibility if something comes up which interferes with training.  I'm also really looking forward to figuring out how to shorten my transition times!

I'll be posting and checking everyone's logs and also really looking forward to keeping this thing going as this is an outstanding motivational group.

I agree with Bob, speed work is the way to go.  With that said, it is also more likely to cause an injury so be careful and stretch A LOT!!  :-)
I like the Ysso 800's
2010-09-29 1:18 PM
in reply to: #3124153

User image

Expert
WA
ray6foot7 - 2010-09-28 10:36 PM Just wanted to share a few things post IM.

1.  My wife told me yesterday that she wants to do a 5k.  She even picked out a race and found a couch-to-5k plan.  She hates running!  That is so exciting to me.

2.  A friend who is a teacher, told me about one of her kindergarten students, Justin.  Justin's dad is on the fired department with me, and we spend lots of time together.  The teacher witnessed Justin being beat up on by a girl at recess.  He was doing nothing to defend himself.  The teacher broke up the situation and told Justin what a good boy he was for not hitting a girl.  He responded, "Well, I've been working out a lot, you know training for an ironman like Ray, and I was afraid that I'd hurt her."

3.  I received this e-mail from the wife of another fireman.  "I just wanted to pass along to you and Ray what happened at dinner Sunday night with my
> family....
> My mom, dad, Heath, Jackson, Parker and I met at Mazzio's for dinner. During the course of
> the evening, my mom asked the boys if anything exciting had been going on. Of course, they
> hem-haw about how nothing is happening. Suddenly, Parker lit up. He said, "Dee Dee, guess
> who I know?!" Parker proceeds to tell my mom how he knows Iron Man, he has met him and
> he goes to our church. Iron Man 2 the movie is coming out soon so we have seen lots of
> previews so I naturally assume this is what he is talking about. He goes on to say that he
> can't wait to tell everyone at school about knowing Iron Man. I reminded him that he can't
> stretch the truth at school even if using our imagination is fun. He looks at me like I am the
> stupidest human on earth (I should probably get used to that) and says, "Mom, Iron Man
> DOES go to our church. I saw him TODAY! He is married to Ms. Jennifer..." Heath started to
> correct him about what an Iron Man competition is but I just told him to let it go. So right now,
> Ray IS Iron Man and you are the wife of Iron Man.
> Thought you might enjoy---also thought that might help explain if Parker starts staring at you
> guys in awe while at church

WAY COOL!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing!!  I want to move to a small town too now!!!  ;-)  LOL
2010-09-29 1:24 PM

User image

Expert
WA
As for races for me this year, I am doing a marathon on Halloween day.  I figure that plus the Tour des Lacs century ride we did a few weeks ago will give me the mental confidence I need going forward into training and for CDA IM. 

I will be trying to get my butt back in the pool tonight possibly.  I worked out with weights last week and went swimming and my shoulder was hurting.  Not sure if it was caused by my swimming (I had not swam in a month) or the weights.  Will determine tonight if the shoulder is ready.

2010-09-29 3:39 PM
in reply to: #3121623

User image

NH
mdfahy - 2010-09-28 11:51 AM Race Report:

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=228613

Warning: Long and rambly...

Great RR.  There is no race report too long or rambly for me, I love reading about everyone's adventures in these crazy races.

I actually have the run less, run faster book.  I'll dust it off and read it again.  My ADD had me thinking it was only for marathons.
2010-09-29 3:40 PM
in reply to: #3124174

User image

NH
ray6foot7 - 2010-09-29 1:40 PM As far a 5k training, this is what I am going to follow for a few months and see how it goes.  I'll keep you posted.

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=19258

Ray - Those are awesome stories.  It's way cool to be from a small town.  I love the feeling where I live too - very Norman Rockwell for sure.  But I'm not Ironman! 

We had an elite tri guy do our men's retreat for us this year.  And since I'm on the men's team, I got to know him through the spring/summer and we stay in touch via email and such.  He's 53, so thankfully out of my age group, and he's actually been to short course World's.  The guys from our church now have a bigger appreciation for triathlons in general and I got a lot more comments about completing my half now! 

That's a cool 5k link, similar ideas to what I was thinking to try.
2010-09-29 3:44 PM
in reply to: #3124272

User image

NH
RunRene - 2010-09-29 2:24 PM As for races for me this year, I am doing a marathon on Halloween day.  I figure that plus the Tour des Lacs century ride we did a few weeks ago will give me the mental confidence I need going forward into training and for CDA IM. 

I will be trying to get my butt back in the pool tonight possibly.  I worked out with weights last week and went swimming and my shoulder was hurting.  Not sure if it was caused by my swimming (I had not swam in a month) or the weights.  Will determine tonight if the shoulder is ready.

You'll be ready for CDA.  Good idea to get the mental part in place though. 

You guys are NUTS!  After finishing the HIM, I couldn't even DREAM of doing even just the run course again, forget about all three.
2010-10-01 11:32 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Hope everyone is enjoying a little down time. I have been able to get in one sport a day this week - so glad to have a bit of routine back...next week I'm back to two-a-days hopefully. The girls start swim team (one girl MWF, the other girl TTHF), so I will have absolutely NO excuse for not swimming.

Bob has a great story about a spectacular run in his logs - it's worth a look.

I'm focusing on run this winter (at least for the first part of winter) and trying to get the courage up to participate in the local Master's swimming program - but I am very intimidated by the idea of it. I went a few times last year, but was so completely left at the wall (and felt like I was slowing everyone down) that I'm having a hard time convincing myself to participate again.

We have a local 5K on Halloween. Last year I went as a Freudian slip (just wore a slip with the word "Freudian" on it over my running clother)...trying to figure out a good costume for this year. Anyone else ever do a wacky race?
2010-10-04 7:34 AM
in reply to: #3124272

User image

Veteran
Richmond
RunRene - 2010-09-29 1:24 PM As for races for me this year, I am doing a marathon on Halloween day.  I figure that plus the Tour des Lacs century ride we did a few weeks ago will give me the mental confidence I need going forward into training and for CDA IM. 

C????ongrat?s Rene on the 126 mile ride??!?!?!? ? ??T?h?a?t?'?s? ?a?w?e?s?o?m?e? ?a?n?d? ?w?i?l?l? ?s?u?r?e?l?y? ?h?e?l?p? ?n?e?x?t? ??J?u?n?e? ?2?6?t?h?.? ?? ?G?o?o?d? ?l?u?c?k??? ?o?n? ?y?o?u?r? ?m?a?r?a?t?h?o?n? ?t?r?a?i?n?i?n?g???. ??????????????c

2010-10-04 7:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
That's an awesome story Ray, aka Ironman!!

The Season is Over... Time to Let it Go
http://weraisethebar.com/clarke100410.html
2010-10-04 9:24 AM

User image

NH
Since he's not doing it for himself, I'll toot Ray's horn a bit.  Ray's race report is up, and it's awesome.
2010-10-04 9:49 AM
in reply to: #3131342

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
Ha, I didn't realize it was public yet.  I plan on rewriting it today.  I wasn't quite pleased with the first one. 

I forgot to bring home the new draft, and wasn't able to type it up.  Maybe tomorrow.

Edited by ray6foot7 2010-10-04 7:07 PM
2010-10-05 2:13 PM
in reply to: #3131397

User image

NH
ray6foot7 - 2010-10-04 10:49 AM Ha, I didn't realize it was public yet.  I plan on rewriting it today.  I wasn't quite pleased with the first one. 

I forgot to bring home the new draft, and wasn't able to type it up.  Maybe tomorrow.

I HATE that race report!  We had our family post season tri meeting, and we decided next year will be dedicated to short course races only.  Then I read this report, and now I want to go out and sign up for a full right now!  But I'll wait for a few years until the kids are older.

My compromise is to do sprints and maybe an Oly, and I'll be the bike leg of a relay team for a HIM with two guys from work.  I know it's probably blasphemy on a tri site, but has anyone ever had a relay as an A race?

Here's my plan:  Do Jorge's bike plan in real time Nov-Jan, with easy running 3-5 days a week.  Feb-April, do the Run Less, Run Faster 5k version (12 weeks, 3 serious runs a week, with biking and swimming as cross training).  Next tri season, focus on biking hard - running will be just lots of consistent, easy paced runs with some intervals on occasion - swimming as possible.

Does this make sense?  Running is my limiter, but I really want to get the biking in next year and I figure just running consistently and running lots of miles is probably fine for my body since I'd never run before this year.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  

of 76