BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 121

2010-05-28 10:35 AM
in reply to: #2769226

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2010-05-28 11:20 AM
in reply to: #2888545

Expert
Thornton, CO
Subject: RE: Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED!
PennState - 2010-05-28 9:35 AM Still really hot here, hoping for some training but pretty physically beat up from my deep tissue massage therapy. Maybe a run later? Anybody else training?

Trying to take it easy for the next week before the mary, but I'm going for a 7-10mile trail run up some hills after work. 
2010-05-28 11:30 AM

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI
PennState - 2010-05-28 10:35 AM Still really hot here, hoping for some training but pretty physically beat up from my deep tissue massage therapy. Maybe a run later? Anybody else training?

Went for a run this morning.  Legs felt really dead from pushing it on the bike this week.  One of those days when I use the attitude of just get our for a half hour and do it, temp was 87 as well.  Anyway I ended up having one of my fastest long runs to date.  10.29 miles at a 8:32 pace, which is fast for me.  Funny how the body responds.  Hopefully I will have similar results on the bike tomorrow.

Hope everyone enjoys the Holiday weekend.  Please take a few minutes to remember the reason behind the Holiday.

Greg
2010-05-28 11:31 AM

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
PennState - 2010-05-28 8:35 AM Still really hot here, hoping for some training but pretty physically beat up from my deep tissue massage therapy. Maybe a run later? Anybody else training?

Nothing today, but a big day tomorrow. Riding the whole Vineman 70.3 course (will be my longest ride ever) followed by a 3-6 mile run (I'll probably try to do around 4). Should be quite the training day!
2010-05-28 11:41 AM

Expert

Training plans for beautiful friday??

OWS tonight for me

2010-05-28 11:54 AM

Expert
wow fred...missed ur post and all the posts answering what the plans for the day were...wierd that they didnt load for some reason...

2010-05-28 11:55 AM
in reply to: #2888708

Expert

calimavs - 2010-05-28 12:31 PM
PennState - 2010-05-28 8:35 AM Still really hot here, hoping for some training but pretty physically beat up from my deep tissue massage therapy. Maybe a run later? Anybody else training?

Nothing today, but a big day tomorrow. Riding the whole Vineman 70.3 course (will be my longest ride ever) followed by a 3-6 mile run (I'll probably try to do around 4). Should be quite the training day!

Sounds like a nice day!! good luck

2010-05-28 1:29 PM

2010-05-28 1:44 PM

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Nice run this morning, although the legs felt a bit heavy and slow for some reason.  Looking forward to a long weekend with some nice workouts!

2010-05-28 2:33 PM
in reply to: #2888675

Master
Redlands, CA
zionvier - 2010-05-28 9:20 AM
PennState - 2010-05-28 9:35 AM Still really hot here, hoping for some training but pretty physically beat up from my deep tissue massage therapy. Maybe a run later? Anybody else training?

Trying to take it easy for the next week before the mary, but I'm going for a 7-10mile trail run up some hills after work. 

Yeah, I'd stick to those easy 7-10 mile uphill trail runs this week; you want to go in fresh for your mary. :P 
2010-05-28 2:34 PM
in reply to: #2888708

Master
Redlands, CA
calimavs - 2010-05-28 9:31 AM

Enjoy the ride and let us know how it went!

2010-05-28 2:36 PM

Master
Redlands, CA

24.6 mile bike and a 2k swim after work.

The bike is an odd number because I'm trying to string 100 mile weeks together until July. 
2010-05-28 4:01 PM

2010-05-28 5:04 PM
in reply to: #2889195

Expert
Thornton, CO
furiousferret - 2010-05-28 1:33 PM
zionvier - 2010-05-28 9:20 AM

Yeah, I'd stick to those easy 7-10 mile uphill trail runs this week; you want to go in fresh for your mary. :P 

haha, I understand what you're saying, but it IS possible to do an easy run even though it's up some hills on a trail.  The scenery is much better there than it is on the roads

ETA: at least I chose a hill instead of one of the normal mountains I do on Fridays.... I scaled it back a little ;-

Edited by zionvier 2010-05-28 5:05 PM
2010-05-28 7:37 PM

Extreme Veteran
Lunenburg, Nova Scotia
My training has really suffered this month.  Besides the deal with the walkway, we decided that we have had enough of our house, and we started looking to move.  We found something pretty great really quickly, and made an offer.  After a few days of negotiations, our offer was accepted, and we've been putting all of our free time into making our current house presentable to show.  We might have a showing here tomorrow, so maybe all of this will be over soon.  In the mean time, I have a sprint duathlon next week that I am definitely not prepared for.  I plan on a 40-50km bike ride tomorrow, a long run on Sunday, and a few runs/rides between then and next Sunday.  We're supposed to have some nice weather over the next couple of days, so I really need to make it happen!
2010-05-28 11:16 PM
in reply to: #2889603

Master
Redlands, CA
Wooden Bell - 2010-05-28 5:37 PM My training has really suffered this month.  Besides the deal with the walkway, we decided that we have had enough of our house, and we started looking to move.  We found something pretty great really quickly, and made an offer.  After a few days of negotiations, our offer was accepted, and we've been putting all of our free time into making our current house presentable to show.  We might have a showing here tomorrow, so maybe all of this will be over soon.  In the mean time, I have a sprint duathlon next week that I am definitely not prepared for.  I plan on a 40-150km bike ride tomorrow, a long run on Sunday, and a few runs/rides between then and next Sunday.  We're supposed to have some nice weather over the next couple of days, so I really need to make it happen!

Grats on the house! It is definately more important than training right now.  

2010-05-29 8:45 AM
in reply to: #2889603

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Wooden Bell - 2010-05-28 8:37 PM My training has really suffered this month.  Besides the deal with the walkway, we decided that we have had enough of our house, and we started looking to move.  We found something pretty great really quickly, and made an offer.  After a few days of negotiations, our offer was accepted, and we've been putting all of our free time into making our current house presentable to show.  We might have a showing here tomorrow, so maybe all of this will be over soon.  In the mean time, I have a sprint duathlon next week that I am definitely not prepared for.  I plan on a 40-50km bike ride tomorrow, a long run on Sunday, and a few runs/rides between then and next Sunday.  We're supposed to have some nice weather over the next couple of days, so I really need to make it happen!

Good luck with the sale and move!!

Remember, there is no better form of stress releif than a nice run or ride!!

2010-05-29 11:52 AM

2010-05-29 12:21 PM

Expert
Volunteered at my 1st tri this morning. I had a blast. The sign up for the volunteers was a bit messed up and even when I got there the system for where to go and what to do was non-existent. I just found a place to go and started helping people. Started with helping people get their run gear checked in as there were two separate transition sites. The once the race started I sat at the mount line and got people going on the bike. Then the runners started coming in to the finish and I helped make sure that their race numbers were showing because it wasn't a chip timed event. We unloaded bikes out of the truck from T2 and then I talked to some friends. I'm so glad that I did it and helped out at an event. Getting up at 4am sucked but once I was up everything was golden.

Need to get some time in at the gym today and I have a 32 mile ride tomorrow morning with a fairly large group of people (20-30). Should be fun. I did have 2 rest days this week but I think I'm still going to get my time and distance in that I wanted to accomplish.

Hope everyone has a great training weekend.
2010-05-29 6:22 PM

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
Happy Memorial Day weekend everyone! Just got back from my first ride over 50 miles - we ended up doing 55 today before a quick transition run. Since this was my longest ride ever I wrote a novel about it in my blog which I thought I'd share here. The short version is that my bike fitness is better than I thought for this course, but I desperately need a new saddle for my bike. Yell

Happy training everyone, hope you are all having a great long weekend! Laughing

Here's the long version:

So I roll up to Windsor high school (the site of T2 for Vineman 70.3) at 7:45 and start to get my stuff ready for the ride and I go to turn on my Garmin and - nothing. It won't turn on. I charged it last night and it looked fine when I went to bed, today nothing. So the ride starts out with me throwing a mini-tantrum about my Garmin not working. 

Then I realized that it was probably God's way of telling me that I have been focused too much on speed (and beating myself up about it) lately and that I need to just ride my bike and have fun. I figured I could get the total ride time from my cell phone clock and the distance from one of the other people riding in the group with me. So off we went. 

The first 35 miles or so were awesome. The course is a bunch of rolling hills and felt pretty easy after Wildflower and some of the hill repeats I've been doing lately. 

Around mile 35ish my butt/saddle area started to hurt. Bad. My tri shorts kept bunching up and it seemed like all the chamois butter I put on wasn't helping. I kept squirming but could not get comfortable. We got to Chalk hill around mile 42 and I was able to just power up it without much problem. It did spike my heart rate a lot but it was ok. 

After Chalk hill things went to hell. My butt hurt so bad that every time I went over a bump (and there were lots since the roads were in bad shape) I would cry out in pain. I basically gritted my teeth the last 10 miles or so and tried not to cry. My legs felt strong, and I could have been riding a lot faster, but the pain just made moving excruciating. Long story short, I need a new saddle, badly. The problem isn't chafing, it's more the pressure on my saddle area, so I think I'll be looking for one with a cut out to take some of the pressure off. 

Fueling went really well on this ride. I was a bit hungry at the start of it since I ate breakfast at 5:45 and we didn't start riding till 8:20. During the ride I ate 3 packages of honey stingers, one packet of Accelerade (which I won't buy again, didn't like it) and had lots of water. Looks like 620 calories total which is only 155/hour but it seemed to be ok. I'll try to eat more next time to get it up above 200 and see if that is better. 

All in all a tough ride mentally but I'm really happy with where I am fitness wise. Today my fitness wasn't the limiter, my saddle was. 

2010-05-29 7:08 PM
in reply to: #2890421

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
calimavs - 2010-05-29 5:22 PM Happy Memorial Day weekend everyone! Just got back from my first ride over 50 miles - we ended up doing 55 today before a quick transition run. Since this was my longest ride ever I wrote a novel about it in my blog which I thought I'd share here. The short version is that my bike fitness is better than I thought for this course, but I desperately need a new saddle for my bike. Yell

Happy training everyone, hope you are all having a great long weekend! Laughing

Here's the long version:

So I roll up to Windsor high school (the site of T2 for Vineman 70.3) at 7:45 and start to get my stuff ready for the ride and I go to turn on my Garmin and - nothing. It won't turn on. I charged it last night and it looked fine when I went to bed, today nothing. So the ride starts out with me throwing a mini-tantrum about my Garmin not working. 

Then I realized that it was probably God's way of telling me that I have been focused too much on speed (and beating myself up about it) lately and that I need to just ride my bike and have fun. I figured I could get the total ride time from my cell phone clock and the distance from one of the other people riding in the group with me. So off we went. 

The first 35 miles or so were awesome. The course is a bunch of rolling hills and felt pretty easy after Wildflower and some of the hill repeats I've been doing lately. 

Around mile 35ish my butt/saddle area started to hurt. Bad. My tri shorts kept bunching up and it seemed like all the chamois butter I put on wasn't helping. I kept squirming but could not get comfortable. We got to Chalk hill around mile 42 and I was able to just power up it without much problem. It did spike my heart rate a lot but it was ok. 

After Chalk hill things went to hell. My butt hurt so bad that every time I went over a bump (and there were lots since the roads were in bad shape) I would cry out in pain. I basically gritted my teeth the last 10 miles or so and tried not to cry. My legs felt strong, and I could have been riding a lot faster, but the pain just made moving excruciating. Long story short, I need a new saddle, badly. The problem isn't chafing, it's more the pressure on my saddle area, so I think I'll be looking for one with a cut out to take some of the pressure off. 

Fueling went really well on this ride. I was a bit hungry at the start of it since I ate breakfast at 5:45 and we didn't start riding till 8:20. During the ride I ate 3 packages of honey stingers, one packet of Accelerade (which I won't buy again, didn't like it) and had lots of water. Looks like 620 calories total which is only 155/hour but it seemed to be ok. I'll try to eat more next time to get it up above 200 and see if that is better. 

All in all a tough ride mentally but I'm really happy with where I am fitness wise. Today my fitness wasn't the limiter, my saddle was. 

Nothing like a piece of equipment to put a damper on an otherwise great day. I have had numerous problems with saddles also. I actually found on that works for me on my road bike. I have a different one on my tri bike but the jury is still out on those. I actually have an extra saddle that I would be happy to send to you to try out if you are interested. It is the same one as the one I have on my road bike (Specialized Jet) it is just a smaller one. (I went back and forth for awhile) It is a 133 I think. 

2010-05-29 7:13 PM

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
Happy Long Weekend Everyone!

My plan called for a run and swim today. The run wasn't anything to brag about but the swim felt good. If my goggles hadn't leaked on numerous occasions, I would have had my best swim yet. It appears that my best swims happen on days when I have run earlier in the day.  Not sure why that is but I will take what I can get. Tongue out
2010-05-29 7:32 PM
in reply to: #2890421

2010-05-29 7:41 PM

Expert
I bought a Specialized saddle and they have a thing you sit on and they find out where your sit bones are. It has been great as my saddle is very comfortable. Great job on toughing it out and learning. I know sometimes if I don't turn off my Garmin it will charge it but then drain as soon as I unplug it. Don't know what happened but I guess it teaches you that you can do things without technology. I forgot my bike computer at my Oly in Mexico and my bike computer fell off the mount on my last sprint so the last two tri's I haven't had a bike computer.

I need to get a run in today so I can get some form of exercise in today.
2010-05-29 8:13 PM

Master
Redlands, CA

Very rough and odd day today.

Friday it was 65 and slightly windy for my ride.  Today it was 90 and 15-25 winds with 50 mph gusts during my ride.  Outbound I hit 20 mph without pedaling and some parts hit 30 mph with some pedaling.  Of course I saw people going the other way in the little ring with a look like it was Gavia.  The return trip was long and tough but it beats staying at home.

My body isn't adjusted to the heat;  I love riding in hot weather, but I just don't feel acclimated yet.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 121