BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2012-02-27 2:45 PM
in reply to: #4067598

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED
sdswriter - 2012-02-26 9:10 PM
kenj - 2012-02-26 4:16 AM

Well, I am 3 for 3 in the last half of the Freezeroo series with snow storms.  This time 5 or 6 inches of snow wasn't enough, we needed a wind challenge thrown in too!  It was an out and back course so the first 3 miles we had the wind to our backs and in our face for the return! Yuck!  Not a PR type of a day!

Hows everyones weekend going?

Yikes, that sounds cold, Ken! Way to push through it, anyway!

My sprint triathlon today was a bit warmer -- a balmy 56 degrees and sunny. But the water temp was 54 -- brrrrr.

I managed a PR of 21:20 in the 5K run leg. That's my best 5K in or out of a triathlon. I think my 500M swim time was a PR too, but there was a 1/3 mile run from the water exit to the transition area, and it was included in the swim time. According to my watch, I made it out of the water in just over 10 minutes, which is pretty good for me. Overall, I placed 6th out of 13 in the 50-54 age group... My 20K bike time was 34:41, which is a little slower than my best. I either saved too much for the run, or my legs didn't thaw out until the run. I think it's probably a combination of both... still, I know I need to start doing some more speed/intensity work on the bike. Anyways, it's all fun. Hope everybody had a great weekend!

Awesome race!

2012-02-27 5:49 PM
in reply to: #4068801

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
sdswriter - 2012-02-27 1:31 PM

kenj - 2012-02-26 4:16 AM
Great running Steve! Congrats on the PR!!  Sounds like you had a great race!

Thanks Ken! It certainly was a fun race...

Viyoung - 2012-02-27 9:40 AM
Nice work Steve!

Thanks Vivian!

robingray_260 - 2012-02-27 9:59 AM
Nice job on the PR Steve - your run was smokin'!!!!

Thanks Robin! Were you the one who suggested to me that I pour warm water
   down my wetsuit before a cold OWS? If it was, thank you! I've been doing that
   for the last couple of weeks, and it has made a huge difference!

sorry wasn't me - but I will have to try it to as I am sure the ows around here will be chilly to say the least!

2012-02-27 5:55 PM
in reply to: #4068913

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Viyoung - 2012-02-27 2:09 PM
robingray_260 - 2012-02-27 12:02 PM

Robin,

How is your PF?  I wanted to mention a brace that my husband uses for his occasional flare ups of PF.  He swears by it.  It is made by Aircast.  It is call the Airheel and is a small brace that you can wear inside your shoe while you walk around and/or rest.  He sometimes wears it to sleep.  I ordered it online from betterbraces.com

Might be worth a try!

I am willing to try about anything! Thanks!

New PT today - really liked the gal!  She noticed that my toes curl upward when I walk putting more strain on the fascia instead of using the leg muscles. Probably not the cause of the PF but interesting neverthless.  Also taped my foot and used the ultrasound on the inflamed spot - feeling good right now.

Most importantly though I have the go ahead to get back on the bike! Maybe March won't be as dismal as February!

2012-02-27 10:18 PM
in reply to: #3943039

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Monday double smack talk!

4.5 mile treadmill run
3200m pyramid workout

Learned something valuable over the last two days as well. Slowing down the long run REALLY helps the recovery time. I've always heard to be :30-1:30 off race pace on long runs. Being closer to 1:30 or even more made a huge difference in how I feel going into today's run. Hopefully, that lesson will help get more quality workouts in for both bike and run while building my long run for the race. My dumb a$$ was closer to :30-:40 off race pace and recovery was tough even for Tuesday's workouts.
2012-02-28 6:42 AM
in reply to: #4069789

User image

Expert
Did not finish work until ten last night, but got up at five to swim 1000 yards and run 1.5 so I did something.
2012-02-28 12:09 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Meulen - 2012-02-27 11:18 PM Monday double smack talk!

4.5 mile treadmill run
3200m pyramid workout

Learned something valuable over the last two days as well. Slowing down the long run REALLY helps the recovery time. I've always heard to be :30-1:30 off race pace on long runs. Being closer to 1:30 or even more made a huge difference in how I feel going into today's run. Hopefully, that lesson will help get more quality workouts in for both bike and run while building my long run for the race. My dumb a$$ was closer to :30-:40 off race pace and recovery was tough even for Tuesday's workouts.

Nice work, and good advice on the long run!

Speaking of smack talking, where are the rest of the smack talkers this week? Probably still mad at me for the curfew! Wink

2012-02-28 12:10 PM
in reply to: #4069934

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

gator22 - 2012-02-28 7:42 AM Did not finish work until ten last night, but got up at five to swim 1000 yards and run 1.5 so I did something.

Sometimes those workouts feel the most rewarding! Nice work Kirk!

2012-02-28 12:31 PM
in reply to: #4070735

User image

Expert
Illinois
kenj - 2012-02-28 12:09 PM

4.5 mile treadmill run
3200m pyramid workout

Speaking of smack talking, where are the rest of the smack talkers this week? Probably still mad at me for the curfew! Wink

LOL I don't have the curfew violation issue since I put myself to bed at 9:00 PM EVERY NIGHT but work has been insanely busy, leaving not much time for posting.

DOUBLE SMACK TALK - Had second swim lesson today, worked on the pull. I am already feeling it. Then practiced somersaults in preparation for learning the flip turn. I think I am most excited about that even though I don't really need it in OWS. People just look so stinking cool when they flip turn.   Tonight have 45 minute bike ride with 2 mile run brick

2012-02-28 12:35 PM
in reply to: #4070791

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
abake - 2012-02-28 12:31 PM

4.5 mile treadmill run
3200m pyramid workout

LOL I don't have the curfew violation issue since I put myself to bed at 9:00 PM EVERY NIGHT but work has been insanely busy, leaving not much time for posting.

DOUBLE SMACK TALK - Had second swim lesson today, worked on the pull. I am already feeling it. Then practiced somersaults in preparation for learning the flip turn. I think I am most excited about that even though I don't really need it in OWS. People just look so stinking cool when they flip turn.   Tonight have 45 minute bike ride with 2 mile run brick

Nice!!!

I still haven't learned to flip turn! I talked to my masters coach about last week. We should work on it Saturday. I can do them, they just ain't pretty! lol

btw...being cool is always a good reason!! LOL

Edited by Meulen 2012-02-28 12:35 PM
2012-02-28 12:40 PM
in reply to: #4070802

User image

Expert
Illinois
Meulen - 2012-02-28 12:35 PM

4.5 mile treadmill run
3200m pyramid workout

Nice!!! I still haven't learned to flip turn! I talked to my masters coach about last week. We should work on it Saturday. I can do them, they just ain't pretty! lol btw...being cool is always a good reason!! LOL

Absolutely! Plus flip turns just look so...so graceful and smooth. Good to know someone else is learning the fine art!

2012-02-28 12:45 PM
in reply to: #4070813

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
abake - 2012-02-28 12:40 PM

4.5 mile treadmill run
3200m pyramid workout

Nice!!! I still haven't learned to flip turn! I talked to my masters coach about last week. We should work on it Saturday. I can do them, they just ain't pretty! lol btw...being cool is always a good reason!! LOL

Absolutely! Plus flip turns just look so...so graceful and smooth. Good to know someone else is learning the fine art!

Big debate as to whether or not they are useful in tri training. I believe they can be. They seem to take you out your comfort zone some and break the pattern of breathing. To me, anything that presents a challenge like that makes you more comfortable in the water when you conquer it.

2012-02-28 3:59 PM
in reply to: #4070824

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Meulen - 2012-02-28 12:45 PM

4.5 mile treadmill run
3200m pyramid workout

Big debate as to whether or not they are useful in tri training. I believe they can be. They seem to take you out your comfort zone some and break the pattern of breathing. To me, anything that presents a challenge like that makes you more comfortable in the water when you conquer it.

Once you master the flip turn it becomes so natural that you don't even think about it. In fact, if I don't flip I mess up my rhythm. I can definately see how it would help with breaking up your breathing pattern - which is a good thing.

Getting ready for my first bike ride on the trainer in 6 weeks SINCE CHRISTMAS (just checked)!!!!! Starting with a 20 minute easy spin.  Already got in a 70 minute strength workout.  Looking like it will be my best training week in a while (and it is only Tuesday).

Edited by robingray_260 2012-02-28 4:06 PM
2012-02-28 8:12 PM
in reply to: #4070824

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Meulen - 2012-02-28 1:45 PM

4.5 mile treadmill run
3200m pyramid workout

You're right, no middle ground it seems in this debate!  I am going to try and learn them this spring, just because I think for the longer training it smooths things out, but I am not convinced it is something I must do.  Plus our masters group has a meet and I would feel better competing in that doing the flip turns. 

Good for you Anne for trying new things and learning how to do them!

2012-02-28 8:20 PM
in reply to: #4071286

User image

Expert
Illinois

Once you master the flip turn it becomes so natural that you don't even think about it. In fact, if I don't flip I mess up my rhythm. I can definately see how it would help with breaking up your breathing pattern - which is a good thing.

Getting ready for my first bike ride on the trainer in 6 weeks SINCE CHRISTMAS (just checked)!!!!! Starting with a 20 minute easy spin.  Already got in a 70 minute strength workout.  Looking like it will be my best training week in a while (and it is only Tuesday).

I am hopeful that it becomes natural, I sure waste a lot of energy changing direction at the end of each lane. Congratulations on the first bike ride since Christmas!!! 70 Minutes of strength???? Jeez oh peez, that is hardcore.

2012-02-28 8:24 PM
in reply to: #4071705

User image

Expert
Illinois
You're right, no middle ground it seems in this debate!  I am going to try and learn them this spring, just because I think for the longer training it smooths things out, but I am not convinced it is something I must do.  Plus our masters group has a meet and I would feel better competing in that doing the flip turns. 

Good for you Anne for trying new things and learning how to do them!

Thanks Ken, I don't know if this applies to everyone but I find that the older I get, the more comfortable I am with admitting that I don't know how to do stuff and asking for help. And yes, the masters group thing is a huge, motivating, driving force to wanting to learn this. 

Update on DOUBLE SMACK TALK - Got through the entire SufferFest "A Very Dark Place" for the first time, I usually fade at about the 30 minute mark and limp away. Then went out for very short run and it started raining pretty hard at about the halfway point. Does anyone else here like to run in the rain? I don't like starting out in it but if it starts raining while I'm out, it's awesome.

Edited by abake 2012-02-28 8:26 PM
2012-02-28 8:42 PM

New user
Walterboro
I'm in on the learning flip turn too.  Tonight at masters class, we would go 6 strokes and flip in the middle of the pool and then 6 more strokes and repeat.  I kind of think the coach might have done it for his own entertainment. Almost drowned the first flip and then got it together a little better after that.  Like everybody else, I'm not sure how much it will help in a triathlon but it certainly ups the Cool factorCool.  As long as I don't drown or smack my heals on the deck. 

2012-02-28 9:00 PM
in reply to: #4071748

User image

Expert
Illinois

Wesley12 - 2012-02-28 8:42 PM I'm in on the learning flip turn too.  Tonight at masters class, we would go 6 strokes and flip in the middle of the pool and then 6 more strokes and repeat.  I kind of think the coach might have done it for his own entertainment. Almost drowned the first flip and then got it together a little better after that.  Like everybody else, I'm not sure how much it will help in a triathlon but it certainly ups the Cool factorCool.  As long as I don't drown or smack my heals on the deck. 

Absolutely! Good idea to practice in the middle of the pool. I got a big rush of water up my nose and it made my sinuses burn. 

2012-02-28 9:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

The flip turn and the momentum coming off the wall helps to perfect the form, including the need to stretch out.   Why debate it.  You got to turn in a pool.  Flipping is easier than holding onto the wall.  What breaks tempo more?

I took a lesson Sunday from another swim coach.  he made some great points that I used at Masters this morning.  Lower RPE, faster speed. Roll more, stretch more, turn head less. All to make me more aero as if swimming through a small hoop.  Also has me doing lots of catch up drills to get me to glide more. 

I have moved into the lactate threshold work on the bike.  Hoping for real improvement in the ability to hold high power over long term.  Did an hour today on the steelhead computrainer course at 85%.  Ouch.

Kettlebells continue to improve.  Stronger by far.  Lighter too.  Lost another pound.  13 since Jan. 1.  Snce it is comnig off I am going to keep going down.  Maybe 200 by race day?  200 and more muscle?  Nothing wrong with that.

Last day at work was Friday.  Weird.

Talked to my coach today by Skpe from Tucson.  Going to try taking the online coaching certification. 

You all have a great week.

2012-02-28 10:55 PM

User image

Regular
Denver

Meulen - 2012-02-27 10:18 PM Monday double smack talk!

4.5 mile treadmill run
3200m pyramid workout

Well done!  Just because I'm not posting doesn't mean that I'm not "Smacking Down!!" !!!!!

2012-02-28 11:01 PM
in reply to: #4071721

User image

Regular
Denver
abake - 2012-02-28 8:24 PM

Thanks Ken, I don't know if this applies to everyone but I find that the older I get, the more comfortable I am with admitting that I don't know how to do stuff and asking for help. And yes, the masters group thing is a huge, motivating, driving force to wanting to learn this. 

Update on DOUBLE SMACK TALK - Got through the entire SufferFest "A Very Dark Place" for the first time, I usually fade at about the 30 minute mark and limp away. Then went out for very short run and it started raining pretty hard at about the halfway point. Does anyone else here like to run in the rain? I don't like starting out in it but if it starts raining while I'm out, it's awesome.

VERY Nice job on "A Very Dark Place"!  I've heard of that one... I'm going to have to purchase all of Sufferfest so that I can SUFFER with everyone else!

Q.  Did you hear about The National Day of Suffering - March 31st/April 1st 

There is a MeetUp event so that we can "Get to know other Sufferlandrians in our own town!"... sounds like fun!  I may have to look into this!

And way to "SMACK DOWN!!"  !!!!!

2012-02-28 11:04 PM
in reply to: #4069934

User image

Regular
Denver

gator22 - 2012-02-28 6:42 AM Did not finish work until ten last night, but got up at five to swim 1000 yards and run 1.5 so I did something.

Way to "Tick the Box" Gator!  Those late nights are tough, but very rewarding!  I'm right there with ya!  So never feel alone! ~Carla

2012-02-28 11:05 PM
in reply to: #4070735

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
kenj - 2012-02-28 11:09 AM

4.5 mile treadmill run
3200m pyramid workout

LOL

2012-02-28 11:08 PM
in reply to: #4066692

User image

Regular
Denver
kenj - 2012-02-26 6:16 AM

Well, I am 3 for 3 in the last half of the Freezeroo series with snow storms.  This time 5 or 6 inches of snow wasn't enough, we needed a wind challenge thrown in too!  It was an out and back course so the first 3 miles we had the wind to our backs and in our face for the return! Yuck!  Not a PR type of a day!

Hows everyones weekend going?

Burrrrr.... I'm getting cold just reading your post Kenj!!   OMG!  That sounds intense!   Way to get through... showing up should count for a PR in my book! ~Carla

2012-02-28 11:12 PM
in reply to: #4071942

User image

Regular
Denver

Tuesday's Double Smack Down: 

Morning:  75 Min Trainer Ride - Zone 2 / High Cadance

75 Min as
7 x [9:40min @ 90+ RPMs (Small/17),
20 sec Pickup]
1 x 5min cool down

Solid work today!

Garmin: http://connect.garmin.com/splits/153415064

Evening:  80 Min Treadmill Tempo Run

w/u: 15m @ 4.8, 4.9, 5.0MPH

m/s:
[10m @ 5.4MPH - HR 145,
   5m @ 5.8MPH - HR 152,
 10m @ 5.4MPH - HR 145,
 10m @ 5.8MPH - HR 154,
 10m @ 5.4MPH - HR 145,
   5m @ 5.8MPH - HR 156]

c/d: 15m @ 3.5MPH (Walk)

* Ran at the top of Zone 2 & 3
* Had to talk myself through
* Good work!

Garmin: http://connect.garmin.com/splits/153590871

Z2 = 135bpm - 145bpm
Z3 = 146bpm - 157bpm
Z4 = 157bpm - 168bpm

Bed now since Kenj has "turned out the lights!"  !!!!  ZZZzzz... !!!

Edited by CarlaLThompson 2012-02-28 11:14 PM
2012-02-28 11:12 PM
in reply to: #4071942

User image

Regular
Denver

Edited by CarlaLThompson 2012-02-28 11:15 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 72