BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 64

2013-04-24 8:12 AM
in reply to: #4712263

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED

rquinn23 - 2013-04-23 5:06 PM Great job, Jennifer! You should be proud, and just learn from your "wishes" for next time. Well done! Also, everyone my latest blog post is up...mostly a race recap: http://beakersironmanjourney.blogspot.com/2013/04/a-week-of-ups-and...

Great blog Becky!  I sometimes find myself in similar situations when discussing training and racing distances with friends and co-workers trying to remember that finishing a 5K is pretty impressive and important to people that don't get into the longer distances.  I was there once too! 

2013-04-24 8:14 AM
in reply to: #4712284

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Omahabritt - 2013-04-23 5:16 PM Great races Becky & Jennifer!! Looks like training is really paying off. Yes, I'm back & not lying in a ditch somewhere between here & Texas! It's been crazy busy, but I'm still getting my workouts in. April & May are always so hectic for me, you think I'd learn how to manage them better! The weather was great in Texas & it was great to get out on my bike, even if the road I had to ride on was less than ideal. The weather is STILL not cooperating this spring (it's only 40 today), so I'm still mostly running inside. I've been able to get out a few times to ride (2 hours is about my limit inside), but it's been really windy. One ride was the worst I've ever had (strong headwind/crosswind out & then it shifted & was a headwind/crosswind back!). I stopped & called my husband about 2 hours in & told him & didn't know when I'd be home! It was the 1st time I saw more people walking w/bikes than riding them(the crosswinds were scary), including a few cyclists! I'm curious if anyone has tips for riding better in windy conditions? I suck so bad at it! I try & go out regardless, & know it's good for me, but man it's hard. Trying to catch up on posts & promise not to disappear again. Looks like everyone is doing a good job at plugging along!

I hate riding in the wind too, but I tell myself that there will be races that are windy (IMFL usually is) and that training in it will prepare me for it on race day.  Also, getting in aero and holding it helps. 

Glad to have you back and to hear that your trip went well!

2013-04-24 8:15 AM
in reply to: #4712931

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
bdenehy - 2013-04-24 8:23 AM
RunningJoke - 2013-04-21 5:52 PM

Well, I made it through my slightly chilly bike leg with no problems.  I left my swim cap on and put on a thick bike jersey in T1, also put toe covers on my bike shoes.  None of which I had ever practiced with before, but hey, isn't that what you're supposed to do?  Try new things at races? 

I had a fun race, parts of it felt really good, a few parts I had trouble finding my rhythm.  I felt like I made a lot of silly little mistakes.  Fumbled with the zipper on my jersey, my hat blew off not once but TWICE, etc. etc.  When everything was done I finished second in my age group and 5th overall, which is about where I was last year, but having trained so hard all winter I was hoping for a little bit better.  On closer inspection, however, only 70 seconds separated me from my friend who finished 2nd overall.  So I think with cleaner transitions, and minus the stagger start where you can't really chase your competition, I could probably do a little better.  

And there just happens to be another sprint race in my town next weekend...Hello, spring!!!

Great work Jaime! I never would have thought to keep the swim cap on for the bike. I'm definitely stealing that technique if the mornings stay cold when tri season starts here in a few weeks.

Didn't Andy Potts or Matt Reed keep his wetsuit on for a race last year that was unseasonably cold?  That is a great idea though!

2013-04-24 8:21 AM
in reply to: #4712936

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
bdenehy - 2013-04-24 8:27 AM
kenj - 2013-04-23 5:40 AM

Signs of spring finally!  Hope it sticks. 

Easy spin is all today for me before building back into the weekend.  How is everyone else doing?  We had a couple of other racers this past weekend, how did it go?

My race was fun, with some good friends to relay with.  But it is a long day in a mini van.  It took us a little over 12 hours to cover the 77.7 miles.  I was happy with my pace for my 3 segments totaling about 12.6 miles.  Gives me hope for a PR at this weekends HM.

Glad you had a fun race Ken, and your time was impressive! I predict that your training has you set up to hit many PRs this season. but isnt 77.7 ÷ 7 teammates 11.1 miles each? Someone owes you a cold beverage for picking up the slack....

LOL, yep we plan on having a group bbq sometime soon.  The race organizes the legs and I was asked to take the longer run.  One of our team had knee surgery about a month and a half ago and this was the first time he had ran more than 4 miles since.  Another team mate has been battling PF the last couple of weeks.  He finally got a shot on Friday after resting it a week didn't help, doctor told him not to run for a week, but he figured that since Friday and Sunday are in 2 different weeks it counted.  Good news for both though since they had no pain during or after the race. 

My coach is going to run the HM with me Sunday unless he gets called into work (he's a part time pilot).  He is talking 7:30 pace so it will be a big PR if we manage to hold it through the hilly cemetery from miles 8 to 11 or so.  I  will probably be talking to dead people by the time we are done.

2013-04-24 10:21 AM
in reply to: #4712972

User image

New user
kenj - 2013-04-24 9:00 AM

rquinn23 - 2013-04-23 1:40 PM

Way to go Becky!!  Good way to validate your training!

I am wondering with the goofy weather you have had in Florida if mine and Robins race will be wetsuit legal or not.  I am doubtful it will be, but it has been a strange year. 

I would expect the water to be above 80 for IMFL 70.3. That's a little farther south than where I am, and like I said the lake temperature in Clermont increased more than 10 degrees just from March to April! I am bummed because I was going to volunteer for that event and hoping to cheer you and Robin on, but we're going out of town a few days later and I don't think I'll be able to give up that entire day of pre-vacation prep. My tri group is sending quite a few volunteers to marshal the bike course, so if something changes last minute I'll be there.

Good luck on your HM this weekend!
2013-04-24 11:59 AM
in reply to: #4542655

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Awesome race Becky - congrats on your podium and amazing times!!!!  I will be happy if my times come in half as fast as yours for FL. So sorry to hear about your pup.

2013-04-24 4:06 PM

User image

Help me, please.  I bought a tri bike last summer.  I had it fitted and nothing hurts when I ride it, but I still feel very nervous when I ride it in aero.  The brakes are far away, the handling is much squirrellier, etc...  I've forced myself to ride it a lot in the past 9 months and I've gotten much better.  Last week I used it for my sprint tri, which was small and on rolling hills.  Other than slowing down on a few steep downhills because I got nervous, I was able to stay in aero for most of the ride and felt pretty good.  However, I don't think my bike time was significantly faster just because I was on this bike.

I had already decided to use my road bike for the sprint tri this week, because there will be 400+ people on a 5 mile loop which is also open to traffic, and I feel like I need to be completely comfortable maneuvering around so many bikes.  So I took out my trusty road bike on my ride today, and it felt SO GOOD.  I was so comfy down in the drops, I didn't have to freak out when I was going down curvy hills or around dog walkers on the path.  I did an interval workout and I think I was even FASTER on the road bike than I usually am on the tri bike (always hard to tell for sure because of wind, etc). 

So my question is this...was my tri bike a totally stupid purchase?  Did I buy the wrong bike?  Or do I just need to keep riding it until I'm as comfortable as I am on my road bike?  Does everyone go through this?

2013-04-24 6:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Sprint tris are pretty short for a triathlon bike to shine in speed savings over a road bike.  Ride the one you feel fits the conditions best and you'll be more confident and safer on in the short races.  The mental aspect is probably as important as the reality of it. 

I'm well.  Marathon is Saturday and I am set.  Running faster and farther than ever.  Training has been great. I am feeling ready run-wise for IM Moo, which was the point.  FTP on the bike is great.   No injuries.  Swim going very well with Masters and semi private lessons.  Weight is about 5 pounds higher than I like but then again, my strength training is adding upper body muscle so I am good with it.  % of fat is about 10.

All good.  Hope training is going well for you all.

2013-04-24 7:33 PM
in reply to: #4713906

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
RunningJoke - 2013-04-24 5:06 PM

Help me, please.  I bought a tri bike last summer.  I had it fitted and nothing hurts when I ride it, but I still feel very nervous when I ride it in aero.  The brakes are far away, the handling is much squirrellier, etc...  I've forced myself to ride it a lot in the past 9 months and I've gotten much better.  Last week I used it for my sprint tri, which was small and on rolling hills.  Other than slowing down on a few steep downhills because I got nervous, I was able to stay in aero for most of the ride and felt pretty good.  However, I don't think my bike time was significantly faster just because I was on this bike.

I had already decided to use my road bike for the sprint tri this week, because there will be 400+ people on a 5 mile loop which is also open to traffic, and I feel like I need to be completely comfortable maneuvering around so many bikes.  So I took out my trusty road bike on my ride today, and it felt SO GOOD.  I was so comfy down in the drops, I didn't have to freak out when I was going down curvy hills or around dog walkers on the path.  I did an interval workout and I think I was even FASTER on the road bike than I usually am on the tri bike (always hard to tell for sure because of wind, etc). 

So my question is this...was my tri bike a totally stupid purchase?  Did I buy the wrong bike?  Or do I just need to keep riding it until I'm as comfortable as I am on my road bike?  Does everyone go through this?

A lot of people go through what you are feeling, but there is a reason that they are popular for racing, they are faster! Typically about 1 to 1.5 mph depending on the course. Of course this depends on the course and a couple of other variables, one of these variables is the comfort level of the rider. Keep riding it and make yourself comfortable on the bike and you will feel better about the bike!
2013-04-25 3:58 AM
in reply to: #4714050

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
IceManScott - 2013-04-24 7:51 PM

Sprint tris are pretty short for a triathlon bike to shine in speed savings over a road bike.  Ride the one you feel fits the conditions best and you'll be more confident and safer on in the short races.  The mental aspect is probably as important as the reality of it. 

I'm well.  Marathon is Saturday and I am set.  Running faster and farther than ever.  Training has been great. I am feeling ready run-wise for IM Moo, which was the point.  FTP on the bike is great.   No injuries.  Swim going very well with Masters and semi private lessons.  Weight is about 5 pounds higher than I like but then again, my strength training is adding upper body muscle so I am good with it.  % of fat is about 10.

All good.  Hope training is going well for you all.

I am looking forward to seeing how you do at the marathon Ice!! Your training has been solid!

2013-04-25 7:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
Have a great race Ice! I know you'll nail it and am really impressed with how much biking you've got in while marathon training.

2013-04-25 7:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
This is a big weekend for "Team Denehy". We are inducting our newest runner, 5 year old Louise. I'll be her pacer on a one miler Saturday. Now that our 7 year old has a few under his belt, he'll be going solo. Then my wife and I do the 5k. We are shooting for 45:00 with a run/walk. Sunday's a sprint du for me with 6 short (2.4 mile) bike loops. Never raced like that, so should be fun.Happy training all!
2013-04-25 7:48 AM
in reply to: #4713906

User image

Veteran

First and foremost, I will say that I think bikes are like toys for kids so if you can have one and not have to take out a second mortgage, why not... That being said, I will point you to my own situation. I am a life long cyclist and recently got into triathlons. I built a tri bike last year and definitely noticed a difference in speed. I rode the same course using the same wheels and was about 1 mile per hour faster on the tri bike. This area is not flat so maybe only spent 40% of the time on the aero bars. So definitely faster...
It took me some time to get used to riding it outside. It just does not handle the same with the aero bars. I do most of the indoor training on the tri bike so I can get consistent time on the aero bars and get used to the position since my IM will be on a flat course.

So my final thought and advise is no mistake made by buying the tri bike. Keep riding it and get used to it. Use it as needed. In hilly courses, leave it at home and take the road bike but ride it as much as possible to get used to the position.
2013-04-25 7:49 AM
in reply to: #4714384

User image

Veteran
bdenehy - 2013-04-25 8:45 AM

This is a big weekend for "Team Denehy". We are inducting our newest runner, 5 year old Louise. I'll be her pacer on a one miler Saturday. Now that our 7 year old has a few under his belt, he'll be going solo. Then my wife and I do the 5k. We are shooting for 45:00 with a run/walk. Sunday's a sprint du for me with 6 short (2.4 mile) bike loops. Never raced like that, so should be fun.Happy training all!

So awesome... I cant get my 5 year old to even walk around the block with me and the dog....
2013-04-25 7:59 AM
in reply to: #4714384

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

bdenehy - 2013-04-25 8:45 AM This is a big weekend for "Team Denehy". We are inducting our newest runner, 5 year old Louise. I'll be her pacer on a one miler Saturday. Now that our 7 year old has a few under his belt, he'll be going solo. Then my wife and I do the 5k. We are shooting for 45:00 with a run/walk. Sunday's a sprint du for me with 6 short (2.4 mile) bike loops. Never raced like that, so should be fun.Happy training all!

Best of luck to Team Denehy!!  Sounds like a fun way to get some family time!

2013-04-25 8:00 AM
in reply to: #4714388

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
ramiedd - 2013-04-25 8:48 AM

First and foremost, I will say that I think bikes are like toys for kids so if you can have one and not have to take out a second mortgage, why not... That being said, I will point you to my own situation. I am a life long cyclist and recently got into triathlons. I built a tri bike last year and definitely noticed a difference in speed. I rode the same course using the same wheels and was about 1 mile per hour faster on the tri bike. This area is not flat so maybe only spent 40% of the time on the aero bars. So definitely faster... It took me some time to get used to riding it outside. It just does not handle the same with the aero bars. I do most of the indoor training on the tri bike so I can get consistent time on the aero bars and get used to the position since my IM will be on a flat course. So my final thought and advise is no mistake made by buying the tri bike. Keep riding it and get used to it. Use it as needed. In hilly courses, leave it at home and take the road bike but ride it as much as possible to get used to the position.

Good perspective Eddie!

2013-04-25 8:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
Bill-sounds like a fun weekend! I think it's great to keep the family active & involved. I'm curious how you got your kids to start running? Mine are active in sports, but I think could benefit with some running (plus my 7 yo daughter said she wanted to do a local spring 5k w/me next year). I just don't know how far/fast to push them?
2013-04-25 8:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

On the tri bike issue, the savings of 1 mph on a 12.5 mile course translates to about 1:20 if the pacing on our training logs is right.  Multiplied over 112 miles or even 56 miles, that savings becomes more  significant.  Short courses, not so much, especially if the course is hilly.  That said, don't give up on the tri bike.  They are more comfortable and some coaches think the positioning actually saves the legs for the run better than the road bikes.   Unsure about that myself.  I got a Shiv to replace an Orbea last year because it didn't fit me right.  The Shiv is the most adjustable triathlon bike on the market at the moment.  Very comfortable and what I give up aero-wise, I make up with more power to the pedals because I'm more comfortable.  So it's pretty relative.  You can buy short-course speed with clip-in pedals, an aero helmet and clip-on aero bars on a road bike, too.  

I LOVE BIKES.

2013-04-25 10:00 AM
in reply to: #4714457

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY

Omahabritt - 2013-04-25 9:30 AM Bill-sounds like a fun weekend! I think it's great to keep the family active & involved. I'm curious how you got your kids to start running? Mine are active in sports, but I think could benefit with some running (plus my 7 yo daughter said she wanted to do a local spring 5k w/me next year). I just don't know how far/fast to push them?

I think it was mostly a case of monkey-see-monkey-do.  The racing part seems to come naturally for siblings not too far apart in age.  They turn everything into a race... I've never ran with the young one, and don't push either of them.  When the 7 yo was six, I'd hold him back for the beginning of a run and just try to teach him to hold steady.  They just don't realize how far a mile is and want to take off like bats out of hell, then of course they run out of steam.  I think his last mile was around 10 min which put him near the middle of the kids participating (maybe further up in kids his size/age).  I have no idea what to do for my daughter. We are not big folk and she's downright tiny, even for 5, but she's pretty driven too... Over a 5k, I would think an 8 yo would benefit from run/walk.

2013-04-25 11:40 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
I'm back from CA!  INCREDIBLE trip.  Had a great time out there riding, racing and hanging out.  It's beautiful out there!  I pretty much got killed in my race.  Got schooled by the locals in the sandy switchbacks.  Those were really tough for me.  I feel pretty good about it though.  Had some great days climbing which I put in my logs.  Really killed it on one of our big 3000ft climbs.  Tremendously improved my FTP on it.  We used the climb as a full hour FTP test and I put in a 13% gain on my previous estimated FTP from a 20 minute test.  Ended up putting out 243 watts for over 3 hours on all the climbs that day.  Just an awesome time.  I got some catching up to do on posts!
2013-04-26 7:11 AM

User image

New user
Happy Friday, everyone! I had a great day of training yesterday and a really tough swim this morning, but it was also great.

For those of you who do heart rate zone training I have a question--I am now into the phase of my training where there is some zone 4 work thrown in the bike and run. I am having trouble getting my heart rate that high on the run, as it seems my legs hit their limit before my heart rate does. My workouts have called for both a 5 minute surge from zone 2 to zone 4, and 3 x 3min repeats at zone 4 with a 1 minute recovery. I am barely making it out of zone 2! On the repeats, I did reach my highest HR on the 3rd one, but it was still in zone 3. Again, I can't really seem to get my legs to go faster. Has anyone experienced this or have any input?

Thanks!

2013-04-26 9:19 AM

User image

Becky, how did you test/calculate for your HR zones?

(Thank you guys so much for your feedback about the tri bike)

Jaime

2013-04-26 9:24 AM
in reply to: #4715788

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY

rquinn23 - 2013-04-26 8:11 AM Happy Friday, everyone! I had a great day of training yesterday and a really tough swim this morning, but it was also great. For those of you who do heart rate zone training I have a question--I am now into the phase of my training where there is some zone 4 work thrown in the bike and run. I am having trouble getting my heart rate that high on the run, as it seems my legs hit their limit before my heart rate does. My workouts have called for both a 5 minute surge from zone 2 to zone 4, and 3 x 3min repeats at zone 4 with a 1 minute recovery. I am barely making it out of zone 2! On the repeats, I did reach my highest HR on the 3rd one, but it was still in zone 3. Again, I can't really seem to get my legs to go faster. Has anyone experienced this or have any input? Thanks!

I always experienced the same thing.  HR is a lagging indicator and 5 minutes is not long to get it up to a certain level.  I still think its useful.  for example, if an interval calls for Z4, I'll try as hard as I would somewhere between a 10k and a HM.  As long as the HR is continuing to rise during the interval, I'm happy, as long it doesn't climb into Z5.  If I see it level off for more than 30 seconds or so, its my cue to pick up the pace.  And I too get to higher HR numbers in the later sets, even if I'm not going faster, or even harder.  I'm sure someone else can explain this more precisely, but I think you are doing the right thing.

Also, if you really want to get your heart rate up with less of a lag (but still a lag), do those intervals on hills...

2013-04-26 9:41 AM
in reply to: #4716009

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
RunningJoke - 2013-04-26 10:19 AM

Becky, how did you test/calculate for your HR zones?

(Thank you guys so much for your feedback about the tri bike)

Jaime

This is a good question, doing a 5K or a 10K test is a better indicator than the 220 - age calculation.  Or, if it has been a while since the test was done, your conditioning has most certainly improved which would make it harder to get the HR up. 

Bill's hill suggestion will certainly raise the HR as well, but I guess the question is the purpose of the workout.  As long as you are being honest with yourself on the effort, which I trust you are, then use the effort as the gauge.  Not for nothing, but training for an Ironman doesn't require a lot of speed anyways. 

2013-04-26 9:42 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Ok, its Friday!  TGIF!!

Who's racing this weekend?

I have a HM on Sunday.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 64