BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 75

2014-03-30 3:04 PM
in reply to: Catwoman

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED

Well done Jason!

2014-03-30 5:09 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Master
South Alabama

Got my bike/run intervals in this morning. It was cool, 47 degrees, with a stiff north wind. Pleased with how it went but boy are my legs feeling it this afternoon. Fortunately, I have a pretty light week ahead of my race Saturday.

Nancy-I've used "FLUID" brand sport drinks for the last 2 years. Mild flavors and one flavor has a little caffeine in it......I'll usually mix a bit of that in with the Raspberry Lemondae flavor I usally drink. Have not tried UCAN.  

Jason-a sub 1:30 half marathon has always been one of my goals. Thought I would have a chance this past Winter given how the Fall running went but another calf problem kept me from getting to the starting line. I'm afraid the chances of me going sub 1:30 are very slim.  Does today's race make you feel a little better about your current level of fitness? 

2014-03-30 7:12 PM
in reply to: 0

, Georgia
Evening all.

Sorry I’m getting back here as late as I am. I found out very quickly over Spring Break that taking a full week off from schoolwork put me in a rut that left me unwilling to do much of anything that’s of importance. When I got back from the break, I studied my butt off for an exam and a quiz…ended up bombing both of them.

Clearly, schedule consistency got shot out the window and then some; now if I can get it back...

So, back to more relevant matters. Spring break two weeks ago only saw one trainer ride. Didn’t get my bike back in town until last Tuesday and got bound to the trainer when I did with 40 MPH winds on the loose. Did a brick cycle/run on Friday with the cycling on the trainer. I wasn’t planning on a brick that day, but with Saturday bringing back memories of the Arizona monsoons, I jumped in the running shoes the second it cleared up (got paid $0.76 for my efforts too :P)

To get that consistency I was referring to earlier, I’m kicking off training plans for cycling and running tomorrow that are on this website. I would do something about swimming, but I can’t until summer starts since I can’t access a pool. The two plans end in June and July, so I’ll be incorporating some brick workouts in for swimming. Gonna be rough, but I’m thinking that it’ll help prep me for the triathlon in September and drop off some weight; getting below 230 has been a bit challenging.

I’ll try to do a better job keeping appraised of how everyone is doing as well as checking in. I’ve been slipping up on that significantly and I apologize for that.

Lastly, is anyone here using Strava on a regular basis? I'm running around on there, but would love to keep tabs on other triathletes on the website. All I have is a good friend of mine who does road biking exclusively (placed 16/20 in her first crit of the season today and apparently had massive improvements since she DNFed her last race of the season last year

Edited by PhoenixM 2014-03-30 7:15 PM
2014-03-30 7:36 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Bryan. Welcome back. Keeping up with everything is always a battle.

Blanda. How was Xterra Guam? There are some fantastic pictures over on Slowtwitch and I can't look at them and not wonder how it went for you today. I hope it was awesome.

Randy. I feel better. Still need some work but I would be saying that even if I ran much faster. I'm always a work in progress.
2014-03-30 8:54 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Hello, hello!

Xterra's done. Had a good time even though I had some setbacks. I misunderstood the directions on the swim and ended up swimming a lot more than I needed to. There were at least 4 people behind me that ended up in front because of it and my time was blah.

The bike course was a little longer this years, but I cut off a minute, ha! This was my most favorite part of the race and the first time I rode it with confidence nailing all the descents and climbing most of the hills. Of the two climbs I missed, one hill is just crazy hard. I think only the pros and top mtbers clear it, and the other one had a bunch of people clotheslining it. No chance to try.

The run was where I had a very hard time. I had grated my foot on a broken branch Wednesday during the run course walk through. It was annoying, but not hurting on Thursday and Friday, so I didn't worry about it. By the end of the bike, it was uncomfortable, but the pain point is on the outside of my left foot, so was able to ignore it on flat, road parts. Once I hit the rocks, each time I landed on a rock with my left foot the pain increased until I was in tears. Horrible pain! I imagined that it would be what getting poked with a hot knife would feel like. I gimped through the course. In the rivers I kept hitting a rock and going down into the water.

When I finally finished I went straight into my husband's arms and just broke down. Pure torture, and I LOVE the run course.

Anyway, 14 minutes longer than last year, but I loved the bike leg. Just loved it! 89th out of 107, 3rd out of 3 in my age division.

All the run training was of no use on the run. That made me sad.

Oh, well! I'll try again next year.

Edited by Blanda 2014-03-30 8:58 PM
2014-03-30 10:36 PM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Master

Blanda- Congratulations on your race. The course conditions that you race in are so difficult. I can't even imagine what it would be like to constantly train and race where you do. The run just sounds like absolute torture. You should be very proud of your accomplishment. Rest up and I hope your foot feels better soon. 

2014-03-31 5:38 AM

User image

New user
New Hampshire
Jason- Great run, sub 1:30 is smoking fast.

Blanda- Way to push through the adversity. If it were easy everyone would be doing it.
2014-03-31 5:42 AM

User image

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Good morning all-

Congrats to those who were racing this weekend!

Jason – That’s an excellent effort for an “assessment” race. It sounds like it was good steady pacing and never went too deep in the well. A solid time on top of that is just what the Dr. ordered to solidify the training results you have been working for. (not that I don’t understand always wanting a little more, because I certainly do)

Blanda – Great job on the bike! Unfortunate to start the run a little banged up already, especially in the crazy conditions you race in, but you stuck with it and made it through in a less than ideal situation. You sounded a little defeated in your post but I would call that a huge success! Taking time of the bike from the prior year on a longer course and then gutting out the run…awesome job!
2014-03-31 6:15 AM
in reply to: 43YORook

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
HAPPY MONDAY KIDS!

Jason - sub 1:30 is awesome. My husband would kill for that

Blanda - great job today. That bike portion sounds so awesome!! DAMN THAT RUN Are we going to Maui this year? :D

up early. 40 minutes on the trainer on the new bike. OY. This might be harder than I thought!

Have a good day!

2014-03-31 8:03 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
South Alabama

Blanda-great job. Sounds like an EPIC race in so many ways.

2014-03-31 9:53 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Blanda--YOU DID IT!  The demons of the course are behind you.  I have to say I'm a little concerned about that foot.  How is it today?  I had a race with searing pain on the run and it didn't have a happy ending.  Are you better?

2014-03-31 11:21 AM

, Georgia
30 minutes on the bike today and I "almost" looked like I jumped in a pool. Can't complain though since I'm finally pushing myself further than I had been before.

Day 1 is off and running at this point in time and I think I got 71 left, though I'm going off memory. High time for me to get my weight below a number that starts with a 23. :D

With that, I'm off to my "job" (Translation: Schoolwork and classes). Happy riding/running/swimming today ya'll.
2014-03-31 1:04 PM
in reply to: PhoenixM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Sounds like everyone is really getting to it. I'm jealous you guys are out there racing already. It's 36 and rainy here today, although I did manage a couple runs outside w/o leg warmers this weekend, so to me that's pretty much summer. I still have 11 weeks until my Oly although I may toss a 5 or 10k in there somewhere just to get the juices flowing.
2014-03-31 3:51 PM

, Georgia
Won't know for sure until about the middle of April, but it looks like I'll be doing a crit in Athens on the 26th. One of my longtime friends is coming down from Nashville with some of her cycling to race in the event and she talked me into doing a Cat 5 race.

We're holding off on registration for the time being because it hasn't been certified by USA Cycling, but it will be a great way to kick off my racing season (or lack thereof) and get away from everything having to do with schoolwork, political science, math, and actuarial exam studying
2014-03-31 5:52 PM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Bryan...the Athens Crit is a pretty big deal!! I went last year (talked into it by the LBS guys) and the pros are RIDICULOUS!!! I'll take my no drafting policy, please.

Blanda...I'm so proud of your fortitude. You kept moving forward, and you weren't beat by that course. Props to you for putting last year behind you and for getting it done today.

Came home from work and DID NOT WANT TO RUN. Almost talked myself out of it, but in the end, forced myself to go run 3 miles. Ended up being my fastest 5K in over a year. Guess the motivation to be finished put a little pep in my step.

Really working on leaning out over the next few/ 6 months. Lots of veggies, fruits, and lean proteins in my future. Found out today that I'm not a huge flounder fan.
2014-03-31 6:12 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
South Alabama

My March is in the books. Pretty solid overall...glad to see the run bumping back up over the last month.

Swim              12 hours 33 min               40,150 yards

Bike                23 hours 48 min                    493 miles

Run                11 hours 10 min                    80.8 miles

Strength           3 hours  20 min

2014-03-31 6:45 PM

User image

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Yep, March is a wrap for me too:

Swim: 11h 05m - 11250 Yd
Bike: 24h 13m - 387.69 Mi
Run: 9h 02m 58s - 55.09 Mi

I did get my swims that I committed to in. They weren't pretty but I go them in and, knock on wood, I actually am seeing a little improvement. Bike volume and quality was way down for me in March because I wasn't doing the TR plan this month. That was somewhat intentional though as I really wanted to focus on the pool and slowly building up some run volume.

All in all, I give the month a C+. More quality workouts while slowly increasing volume will be the name of the game for me in April.
2014-03-31 7:32 PM

, Georgia
Done on my end as well.

Cycling - 16.8 miles (5:22:37)
Running - 11.54 miles (3:11:22)

A lot of time was spent on the trainer this month working intervals, hence the low mileage. Tack on a full week off for spring break, and it leads to a relatively unproductive month.

That being said, I lost two pounds and 1.7% off my Body Fat Index. Basically, all two pounds was body fat. It's not much, but I am not complaining right now. Hopefully consistency and a nailed down 2 week meal plan will lead to greater results in the coming months.

For April, I'm going to be emphasizing the bike more than running to prep for the crit on the 26th as well as shave off more weight. I'm hoping that the weight loss will lead to an easier run and swim in the summer.
2014-03-31 8:51 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
March:

Swim: 17h 37m - 55550 Yd

Bike: 19h 17m 15s - 411.22 Mi

Run: 11h 53m 37s - 91.44 Mi

Bryan. My bike miles are 100% trainer miles and I know they aren't "real" but I record whatever the cycle computer tells me so I can keep track of trends and yearly mileage. I need to get credit for all of the hours of sweat and tears on that trainer.
2014-03-31 8:57 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

, Georgia
How do you track trainer miles?
2014-03-31 8:59 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Master
Swim:12h 41m 32s - 33928.09 Yd
Bike:22h 58m 56s - 437.83 Mi
Run:12h 25m 32s - 83.92 M

Monthly totals look a lot lower this month. 

2014-03-31 9:10 PM

User image

Master
Hot dang, Jason! I wish my all out halves were as good as your assessment ones. You, and everyone else here, inspire me when I'm feeling not so confident. Amazing work.

Thank you all for the pump up before the race, and kind words for my results. It didn't go as I had hoped, but I cannot let it get me down. There were a few amazing athletes that were out even before they finished the bike due to illnesses and a flat tire. I at least got the chance.

Suzy, the foot is much better now. It's there, and I know that if I were to knock the sore spot it'll remind me it's there, but this morning was the first effort at returning to training. We walked for 2 miles with a little jog at the end to test our legs. It went well.

I still have the marathon with my husband on 4/13. I'm going to slowly finish up my last week of longer running before tapering. After something like Xterra, running for a long time in a straight line is very appealing, lol!

I didn't qualify, but there were only three of us. If one of the ladies don't take up their spot, it will roll down to me. We'll see! I'm going to maintain and Xterra base until I find out. I think end of May is the dead line to register.

March's totals:
Swim: 4h 14m 37s - 8850 M
Bike: 21h 33m 55s - 150.82 Mi
Run: 19h 09m 21s - 84.1 Mi

Not too bad!

Happy training.

2014-04-01 12:18 AM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Regular
Morgan Hill, CA

Rene -- You have made quite a comeback since that video. Great job! I'm sure you'll do really well in Galveston.

Jason -- That is a terrific half-marathon you ran on Saturday. Sub-1:30 is a tremendous accomplishment. Definitely feel good about it!

Bryan -- I use Strava. Just look up Steve Smith in Morgan Hill, CA. One of the coolest things about Strava is that you can also track the pro riders -- it's very inspiring (and humbling). For mileage on a trainer, you can pick up a speed and cadence sensor for fairly cheap. Try Amazon or CleverTraining.

Blanda -- Glad you had fun during your race. That sounds like quite an adventure!

Nancy -- Great job pushing yourself even though you didn't want to run. It's funny how those low-expectation workouts suddenly bring out the beast in you, isn't it? I've had similar experiences. Keep eating those veggies!

Wow, several of you guys are getting in some great swimming workouts! My swimming yardage has tailed off a bit. I think my coach is trying to keep me fresh for my run workouts, which are getting increasingly brutal each week.  I did manage a 6:57 for a 400-yard interval today, which is pretty good for me. I've been trying to focus on a strong exhale, and it seems to be helping.

Here are my March totals:

Swim:  8h 14m 47s - 22770 Yd
Bike: 20h 47m 26s - 364.81 Mi
Run:  14h 41m 03s - 104.43 Mi

2014-04-01 7:27 AM
in reply to: sdswriter

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
My March was a disaster so let's just leave it at that. April is a new month!!

Gotta run - but the sun finally came out so HERE YA GO!!

(IMG_20140401_081623463.jpg)

(IMG_20140401_081634455.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_20140401_081623463.jpg (180KB - 6 downloads)
IMG_20140401_081634455.jpg (151KB - 3 downloads)
2014-04-01 8:14 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
South Alabama

Randee-who cares about March.....you have a new bike and it is NICE! Jealous.

Early, ugly swim done for me. Bike tonight. Have a good day everyone.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 75

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.