of 84

2011-10-15 8:25 PM
in reply to: #3725207

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group - CLOSED
sirgab - 2011-10-15 6:10 PM

In terms of marathon recovery, I spent Monday and Tuesday after the race relaxing and walking (a lot) through the beautiful streets of downtown Chicago.  It was kind of funny to see how sore my legs were, but even funnier to see how many people were in the same boat, especially when going up or down the stairs.

I tried to go for an easy run on Thursday morning and after about 5 minutes I developed such an intense knee pain that I had to walk back home.  So running I guess was not a good idea yet and I ended up doing an easy bike ride at night.  It is incredible that energy wise, I feel like I could run another marathon right now and am craving to go out and train, but my body does not seem to agree yet.  

Ernesto and gang, any advice on recovery and follow-on training?

Separately, big congratulations to Jackie on the wedding of her daughter which is taking place today!  

Gabe,

Don't trust your instinct on this one, recovery has to be gradual if you want to prevent injury. The marathon is very ravaging to the human body, the tissue damage is deep and you need to take the time.

I strongly recommend swimming (unlimited) and easy spinning for a couple of weeks, then start running a few easy miles, by the end of week three you can resume normal running, with tempos, long runs and speed if you wish.

2011-10-16 10:14 PM
in reply to: #3719364

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

ernestov - 2011-10-11 11:50 AM On a different note, I decided to pursue official level I coaching certification from USA Triathlon, so I'll be doing some training in the upcoming months and hopefully get certified by February.

Ernesto,

I'm so glad you're going to be an "official" coach.  Just remember we knew you when.  Let us know when you receive the certification and we'll have a big party, maybe online!

2011-10-16 10:25 PM
in reply to: #3436601

User image

Expert
Subject: Half Marathon and Half Ironman

OK Coach and Others,

Before I start looking through a bunch of races, I need to get the correct order down.  My tentative A goals for this next season (starting now) are:

a half-marathon  (tentatively about 6-8 weeks from now)

a half-ironman

a full marathon 

I know I need to pay more attention to my nutrition, mainly the protein and carb intake and making sure I get enough calories.  I'm running with the Austin Runners Club now and they have regular group runs that break into various levels.  I want to remain injury free and only do what my body can handle.

Please tell me if I'm dreaming.  If I'm not, then tell me what I need to do to meet those goals.  I'm 2/3 of the way through Hal Higdon's book Marathon, the Ultimate Training Guide.  I'm also investigating Galloway's run/walk methodology.

2011-10-16 10:40 PM
in reply to: #3726104

User image

Expert
Guatemala
Subject: RE: Half Marathon and Half Ironman
jdiis - 2011-10-16 9:25 PM

OK Coach and Others,

Before I start looking through a bunch of races, I need to get the correct order down.  My tentative A goals for this next season (starting now) are:

a half-ironman

a full marathon 

I know I need to pay more attention to my nutrition, mainly the protein and carb intake and making sure I get enough calories.  I'm running with the Austin Runners Club now and they have regular group runs that break into various levels.  I want to remain injury free and only do what my body can handle.

Please tell me if I'm dreaming.  If I'm not, then tell me what I need to do to meet those goals.  I'm 2/3 of the way through Hal Higdon's book Marathon, the Ultimate Training Guide.  I'm also investigating Galloway's run/walk methodology.

Jackie,

From my limited experience, but having seen what you have accomplished already this year along with your drive, those goals seem totally reasonable to me.  As a matter of fact, those where exactly the same big goals I had for this year (my 1st year training) and in that same order.   With proper training and commitment along with the good guidance from Ernesto and team here, you will be in good hands to achieve your goals!

2011-10-17 4:31 AM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
jdiis - 2011-10-16 10:25 PM

OK Coach and Others,

a half-ironman

a full marathon 

Jackie, we are all dreamers here and thank goodness for that! In my opinion it's not a question if you can do it or not, but if you are disciplined enough to get the body used to the distance or else it could be a very painful experience and possible injury. Great to see you think big!

2011-10-17 8:51 AM

User image

Master
Dallas
jdiis - 2011-10-16 10:25 PM

OK Coach and Others,

a half-ironman

a full marathon 

Both Mark and Gabe are absolutely right, it is very feasible, you just have to make sure you put the volumes in. It only takes time and commitment, and you'll do it, but the volume cannot be faked for full marathons and half ironman distances. If you don't put in the sessions, you're guaranteed to blow up, so get going.

It is wonderful to train with a running club, I did that for a season with the Dallas Running Club and it helped me tremendously to build endurance and speed. Just make sure to keep in mind that 90% of them are runners only and they don't have to worry about bike or swim, so you can't pretend to do their running volume AND your swim/bike workouts.

Remember that training is only good if your body can absorb it, otherwise it is just beating a dead horse.

2011-10-17 10:24 AM

User image

Master

I just posted my race report for the Detroit Half from yesterday.  I ran a 1:51:44.  My goal time was 1:46:00.  While I did not achieve what I set out to do I am ultimately happy with the results.  The weather condititions were tough - windy and rainy.  When I look at my performance related to all the other racers this run was equivalent to my PB in 2008 and better than last year with essentially same time. 

2011 (Time 1:51:44) - Top 18% AG (40-44), Top 20% Men, Top 10% Overall

2010 (Time 1:51:55) - Top 33% AG (35-39), Top 26% men, Top 14% Overall

2008 (Time 1:48:12) - Top 19% AG (35-39), Top 20% Men, Top 12% Overall 

Will I call it a PB?  No, not at all.  But given conditions they are equivalent runs in my book.  Limiters to my performance were ignoring the conditions and maintaining planned paces even when running into the wind.  I should have dialed back and ran the race that was given to me.  Anothe limiter is I don't think I had the volume and speedwork necessary to maintain the pace I desired in the last 1/4 of the run.  I need to begin training all three disciplines again as I think it gives me more fitness to pull from in the end of the race.

Postives that I took away are that I actually started the run in a controlled fashion instead of trying to run with the gazelles in the first 2 miles.  I printed my pace plan and wore it as a bracelet.  I found this helpful.  I think I did very good at the hydration stations and think I have gotten very good at drinking from the cups on the run.

Learned some good lessons and am ready to focus on the 10-K on Thanksgiving!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=271880

2011-10-17 11:08 AM
in reply to: #3726583

User image

Maple Grove, MN
I agree with your analysis Mitch. Very good race. Top 20% of men in both this and your PR does sound to me comparable. Congrats.
2011-10-17 8:28 PM
in reply to: #3726690

User image

Expert
Guatemala

chris2533 - 2011-10-17 10:08 AM I agree with your analysis Mitch. Very good race. Top 20% of men in both this and your PR does sound to me comparable. Congrats.

X2 on Chris's comment, congrats Mitch!

2011-10-17 8:32 PM

User image

Expert
Guatemala

Ernesto,

Quick question for you regarding IM.  Do you recommend IM Memorial Hermann TX, which you successfully completed recently, for my first IM?  It takes place on May 19, 2012 and I think regular registration is still open.

The change of thought vs. doing IM Cozumel at the end of the year comes from the fact that this is our rainy season and we are totally flooded in Guatemala right now due to major storms (same as last year).  So it becomes tough mentally to think about having to go through the long trainings this far out in the year.  Let me know your thoughts on this one!  Gracias amigo!

2011-10-17 9:56 PM

User image

Expert
Guatemala

Hello gang,

I finally decided to bite the bullet and just signed up for my first full IronMan triathlon on May 2012. Not sure if it was the wine I'm having right now or the great feeling from having finished the Chicago Marathon a week ago, but IronMan Texas / The Woodlands, here we go...  Now I will be looking forward to Ernesto's good advice as well as leveraging everyone's good experience and support!  Cheers

2011-10-18 8:19 AM
in reply to: #3726583

User image

Master
Dallas
dangremond - 2011-10-17 10:24 AM

I just posted my race report for the Detroit Half from yesterday.  I ran a 1:51:44.  My goal time was 1:46:00.  While I did not achieve what I set out to do I am ultimately happy with the results.  The weather condititions were tough - windy and rainy.  When I look at my performance related to all the other racers this run was equivalent to my PB in 2008 and better than last year with essentially same time. 

Will I call it a PB?  No, not at all.  But given conditions they are equivalent runs in my book.  Limiters to my performance were ignoring the conditions and maintaining planned paces even when running into the wind.  I should have dialed back and ran the race that was given to me.  Anothe limiter is I don't think I had the volume and speedwork necessary to maintain the pace I desired in the last 1/4 of the run.  I need to begin training all three disciplines again as I think it gives me more fitness to pull from in the end of the race.

Postives that I took away are that I actually started the run in a controlled fashion instead of trying to run with the gazelles in the first 2 miles.  I printed my pace plan and wore it as a bracelet.  I found this helpful.  I think I did very good at the hydration stations and think I have gotten very good at drinking from the cups on the run.

Good run Mitch, I guess you're right about measuring yourself against the field since finish time is so subjective to conditions... And like you said, maybe you should have backed off heading into the wind. I made the same mistake in a 5K a couple of years ago, the first mile and a half it was a 30mph headwind and I thought it would make sense to go hard into it and then let the wind push me on the way back. Well, by the time I had the tailwind I was already blown, I actually ran faster into the wind than my second half. Lesson learned here, and the same applies to headwinds on the bike, the old cyclists will tell you to relax your upper body, switch to granny gear and head into the wind at a good cadence, don't fight the elements, more like flow through it. 
2011-10-18 8:39 AM
in reply to: #3727742

User image

Master
Dallas
sirgab - 2011-10-17 9:56 PM

Hello gang,

I finally decided to bite the bullet and just signed up for my first full IronMan triathlon on May 2012. Not sure if it was the wine I'm having right now or the great feeling from having finished the Chicago Marathon a week ago, but IronMan Texas / The Woodlands, here we go...  Now I will be looking forward to Ernesto's good advice as well as leveraging everyone's good experience and support!  Cheers

You're a nutcase but that's great!, reminds me of myself... Ironman Texas is a great venue, the bike course runs through Sam Houston National Forest on the first half, gorgeous place. The run is in a fithy rich part of town around Lake The Woodlands. I'm gonna be your main cheerleader, I'm already buying a skirt and pompons, I'm pretty sure Jackie will go to see you too.

Get pumped!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edBOj0R51lM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT1PajCc8eg&feature=related

2011-10-18 9:26 AM
in reply to: #3727991

User image

Master
ernestov - 2011-10-18 8:19 AM
dangremond - 2011-10-17 10:24 AM

Good run Mitch, I guess you're right about measuring yourself against the field since finish time is so subjective to conditions... And like you said, maybe you should have backed off heading into the wind. I made the same mistake in a 5K a couple of years ago, the first mile and a half it was a 30mph headwind and I thought it would make sense to go hard into it and then let the wind push me on the way back. Well, by the time I had the tailwind I was already blown, I actually ran faster into the wind than my second half. Lesson learned here, and the same applies to headwinds on the bike, the old cyclists will tell you to relax your upper body, switch to granny gear and head into the wind at a good cadence, don't fight the elements, more like flow through it. 

Yep - gotta to run the race that has been gievn to you by your training/base level and by things beyond your control (weather, etc.).  Really learning that the first 3/4 of your race detrmines the last 1/4 and therefore your result.  I need more base but also more racing in general to learn how to race - that is a definite skill and one that only comes through experience and listening to those who have come before you - my ears are wide open!

2011-10-19 12:32 AM

User image

Expert

Mitch, great race congratulations.

OK everyone, I posted pics of the booty on my profile page.

Are we still doing that November challenge thing?

2011-10-19 7:14 AM
in reply to: #3729376

User image

Maple Grove, MN
jdiis - 2011-10-19 12:32 AM

I love the Austin trophy with the guitar. What are the other two? A spice rub and a box?

(As for November, I forgot all about it. What are the details again?)

2011-10-19 8:06 AM
in reply to: #3722779

User image

Master
dangremond - 2011-10-13 12:57 PM

Membership question:

I was a member a couple years ago and am contemplating for upcoming season.  For those of the group that are members what is the top three benefits you perceive from your membership.  Also, I can't recall but at what level can you enter your own planned workouts in the training log?  I can't decide if I want to use the built-in plans or input my own.  I appreciate everyone's feedback!

Thanks!

BUMP!

2011-10-19 9:18 AM
in reply to: #3729376

User image

Master
Dallas

As far as I know, the November challenge is on. It's 30 days, 30 runs, 30 minutes each (minimum).
2011-10-19 11:00 AM
in reply to: #3729560

User image

Maple Grove, MN
dangremond - 2011-10-19 8:06 AM

dangremond - 2011-10-13 12:57 PM

Membership question:

I was a member a couple years ago and am contemplating for upcoming season.  For those of the group that are members what is the top three benefits you perceive from your membership.  Also, I can't recall but at what level can you enter your own planned workouts in the training log?  I can't decide if I want to use the built-in plans or input my own.  I appreciate everyone's feedback!

Thanks!

BUMP!

Mitch,

I think the best way to think of membership is that it is like hitting the tip jar. Ernesto can see some lap data on my workouts that he otherwise would have to hit the garmin link for, but that is about it. But I did the bronze membership because it was on sale and I get a lot out of this website.
2011-10-19 11:01 AM
in reply to: #3729697

User image

Maple Grove, MN
ernestov - 2011-10-19 9:18 AM

As far as I know, the November challenge is on. It's 30 days, 30 runs, 30 minutes each (minimum).

I thought it was 30 days, 30 bike, run, or swims, 30 minutes each (minimum)?
2011-10-19 12:12 PM
in reply to: #3729926

User image

Master
Dallas
chris2533 - 2011-10-19 11:01 AM

Yep! you're right. The main purpose of the challenge is frequency, not duration.

2011-10-19 12:42 PM
in reply to: #3730089

User image

Master
ernestov - 2011-10-19 12:12 PM

Yep! you're right. The main purpose of the challenge is frequency, not duration.
Whew...i have my turkey trot on thanksgiving and likely will not run day before or day after...buthopefully can swim or spin for a bit. I think this could be a great way to get consistency going for the off season!
2011-10-19 3:14 PM
in reply to: #3730160

User image

Master
Dallas
dangremond - 2011-10-19 12:42 PM
ernestov - 2011-10-19 12:12 PM

Whew...i have my turkey trot on thanksgiving and likely will not run day before or day after...buthopefully can swim or spin for a bit. I think this could be a great way to get consistency going for the off season!
You get special credits for races.
2011-10-19 4:00 PM
in reply to: #3728032

User image

Expert
Guatemala
ernestov - 2011-10-18 7:39 AM

You're a nutcase but that's great!, reminds me of myself... Ironman Texas is a great venue, the bike course runs through Sam Houston National Forest on the first half, gorgeous place. The run is in a fithy rich part of town around Lake The Woodlands. I'm gonna be your main cheerleader, I'm already buying a skirt and pompons, I'm pretty sure Jackie will go to see you too.

Get pumped!

Ernesto,  Thanks for the videos and for your cheerleading support offer Smile, I'm already totally excited about the gargantuan challenge ahead!!!    

Jackie, great to see your trophy and from the pic I assume it is sitting over your microwave.  You probably will need a cool display case for all your future trophies/medals!

Mitch, regarding paid membership value, I agree with Chris's comment, where the most value comes from giving back to BT which has been a valuable resource to us!

I had forgotten about the 30 day challenge but thanks for the remainder since Nov. is coming up!  Agree that races could generate bonus points and there is a 21k lava challenge race up a volcano in Nov. that I will have to do then.

2011-10-20 9:35 AM
in reply to: #3730565

User image

Master
sirgab - 2011-10-19 4:00 PM
ernestov - 2011-10-18 7:39 AM

Get pumped!

Ernesto,  Thanks for the videos and for your cheerleading support offer Smile, I'm already totally excited about the gargantuan challenge ahead!!!    

Jackie, great to see your trophy and from the pic I assume it is sitting over your microwave.  You probably will need a cool display case for all your future trophies/medals!

Mitch, regarding paid membership value, I agree with Chris's comment, where the most value comes from giving back to BT which has been a valuable resource to us!

I had forgotten about the 30 day challenge but thanks for the remainder since Nov. is coming up!  Agree that races could generate bonus points and there is a 21k lava challenge race up a volcano in Nov. that I will have to do then.

So, maybe something like this:  Maybe a point per day for 30 minutes of swimming, biking or running (no extra points for doubling up disciplines, etc.) and minus a point when you don't?  One extra point for a race?  All workouts must be logged on BT.  Self report points at the end.  Is that too complicated?  I've never done anything like this so let me know your thoughts.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 84