BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society 2 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 70

2013-10-07 11:28 AM
in reply to: SportzVision

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society 2 - Closed
With a lil help from my friends, (old and new), I completed the No Hill Century Ride. It was a beautiful day for a 100 mile ride and I don't feel too bad. I tried compression socks and KT tape for the first time and it may have just worked...or its all in my mind??!!! Anyway, with the injury and lack of training I am glad to have been able to complete this ride. I had a grand time but there is always one point in the ride, about mile 72 where I begin to wonder why I do this ride....

2013-10-07 2:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by SportzVision

With a lil help from my friends, (old and new), I completed the No Hill Century Ride. It was a beautiful day for a 100 mile ride and I don't feel too bad. I tried compression socks and KT tape for the first time and it may have just worked...or its all in my mind??!!! Anyway, with the injury and lack of training I am glad to have been able to complete this ride. I had a grand time but there is always one point in the ride, about mile 72 where I begin to wonder why I do this ride....

For running, I've noticed a definite benefit to wearing calf sleeves after long runs; subjectively, it feels like it cuts recovery time in half, and it tames the post-long-run throbbing. I've ran with them twice, and didn't notice anything beneficial about them while running. I do not plan to wear them at the Marathon. I do plan to wear them within an hour of finishing though.

Congrats on the century ride - I still haven't ridden one yet, saddly - and it was on my list for this year too.
2013-10-08 5:52 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Veteran
Dallas
Hey all,

Dallas Open Tri OLY went well. Cool weather front came in the day before. 51 degrees.

This was my first OLY distance. I don't think I gave it the respect that it deserved after feeling overconfident from the HIM. At 5 minutes into the swim, I was pretty tired. I looked at the available options and moved forwards. This was my first event that the family showed up. It was awesome. Each time I saw them I stopped and kissed them all. The kids thought that was crazy since it was a race! Funny stuff.

My ITB raised its ugly head (first time in a long time). This was a very very hilly 6 mile run. That was not too fun. It helped make it easier to cancel my HIM Austin 70.3 later this month.

Time to work out for fun, more crossfit, clean eating, trying to stay under 200lbs and get ready for spring Tri's.
2013-10-08 8:27 PM
in reply to: bobddsmd

User image

Veteran
Illinois
I'm getting over my sore throat and cold - feeling pretty good, but I'm being very careful right now.

Met with my bike fitter today - that was an experience. I'm lucky in that he's ran the same races I have, including Ironman Wisconsin. I'd bee drooling over a 2012 Felt B2, running Ultegra Di2. He offered me a pretty good deal on the whole set - bike, pedals, shoes, and (heh) a Quarq powermeter. I don't like the number, but she's a sexy bike, and it's time to take advantage of those "18 months no interest" offers my credit card company keeps sending me.

I'm going to mull it over, but it looks like it's the one for me.

My LBS is a love/hate relationship - I love going there but I hate the bill.
2013-10-09 3:03 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary

Sounds like fun. And if the socks and kt tape are working, don't fight it.
2013-10-09 3:07 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Originally posted by bobddsmd

Hey all,

Dallas Open Tri OLY went well. Cool weather front came in the day before. 51 degrees.

This was my first OLY distance. I don't think I gave it the respect that it deserved after feeling overconfident from the HIM. At 5 minutes into the swim, I was pretty tired. I looked at the available options and moved forwards. This was my first event that the family showed up. It was awesome. Each time I saw them I stopped and kissed them all. The kids thought that was crazy since it was a race! Funny stuff.

My ITB raised its ugly head (first time in a long time). This was a very very hilly 6 mile run. That was not too fun. It helped make it easier to cancel my HIM Austin 70.3 later this month.

Time to work out for fun, more crossfit, clean eating, trying to stay under 200lbs and get ready for spring Tri's.

That's really great. It is great that you took the time to enjoy your family.

2013-10-09 3:10 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

I'm getting over my sore throat and cold - feeling pretty good, but I'm being very careful right now.

Met with my bike fitter today - that was an experience. I'm lucky in that he's ran the same races I have, including Ironman Wisconsin. I'd bee drooling over a 2012 Felt B2, running Ultegra Di2. He offered me a pretty good deal on the whole set - bike, pedals, shoes, and (heh) a Quarq powermeter. I don't like the number, but she's a sexy bike, and it's time to take advantage of those "18 months no interest" offers my credit card company keeps sending me.

I'm going to mull it over, but it looks like it's the one for me.

My LBS is a love/hate relationship - I love going there but I hate the bill.

Good you are feeling better. Just chill now. Get lots of sleep, stay hydrated. Are they still forecasting cooler temperatures? Cooler is better for sure. Man I love the days before a big race.
2013-10-09 4:38 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

For running, I've noticed a definite benefit to wearing calf sleeves after long runs; subjectively, it feels like it cuts recovery time in half, and it tames the post-long-run throbbing. I've ran with them twice, and didn't notice anything beneficial about them while running. I do not plan to wear them at the Marathon. I do plan to wear them within an hour of finishing though.

Congrats on the century ride - I still haven't ridden one yet, saddly - and it was on my list for this year too.

i agree the recovery time was shorter! Thanks for the input.
2013-10-09 4:40 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Originally posted by bobddsmd

Hey all,

Way to go Bobby...nuthin' like having the fam there to encourage you!
2013-10-09 4:44 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Ok, lets stop messing around.

Help me out here...I would like a great source for a nutritional break down of the percentage from each macro nutrients I should be consuming daily during the off season. Anyone have a suggestion?

Every time I go on a search I get distracted by sparkly objects..."Squirrel !"
2013-10-09 5:19 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary

Help me out here...I would like a great source for a nutritional break down of the percentage from each macro nutrients I should be consuming daily during the off season. Anyone have a suggestion?

Try Chris Carmichael’s Food for Fitness. I read it when I thought I would get serious about diet. Then I saw how little the elites were eating and I thought, "nahhhhhh not for me."

2013-10-09 7:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

I base my food intake on protein - 1g per pound of lean body mass. That's probably overkill, since the math is aimed at heavy weight training, and endurance training isn't going to put that kind of strain on the muscles. So, for me, at 185lbs and 17% bodyfat, my goal comes out to ~155g (185 x .83) of protein per day.

The thing is, unless you have liver issues, having too much protein isn't going to hurt you. However, generally the liver can only take in about 30g every 2 hours, so eating a ton of protein in one meal isn't a huge benefit.

Beyond protein, I simply try to eat well - high fiber, whole grains, and trying to avoid processed foods. Now, I don't have a problem with processed foods - but there are so many out there that are a nutritional wasteland. Fats and Carbs ultimately come down to fuel - I have a "low fat" diet simply because I like to eat, and fats don't give you a lot of "bang for your buck" in terms of having a big plate at dinner. Example: 1 pat of butter, or two cups of green beans . . .

I've found a good way to gauge a food at a glance is to look for fiber (for carbs) or protein and multiply by 10 - and if the calorie count is lower than that, it's not a great food.

Example: Dannon Light and Fit Greek Yogurt - 80 calories, 12g protein. 12g protein x 10 = 120 calories, and the yogurt is only 80, so that's a good food.

TL, DR: Eat 100g of protein, with some at every meal, and the rest doesn't matter.

Easy meal suggestions: frozen stir fry vegetables plus any lean protein = huge, filling meals with great nutrition, in just a few minutes.
2013-10-10 9:50 PM

User image

Expert
Hi All - I just wanted to let you know I hadn't fallen off the face of the earth. I'm still making progress on putting humpty dumpty back together. I've been walking and biking - and even though my logs don't show it, I've done something each day this week to get back into the grove. My hip is better - about a 2 on a scale of 1-10. So, I've got that going for me which is nice.

Sorry I didn't post the goal sheet for the week - I promise to be more focused next week.

Charles - is your race this weekend? If so - crush it!

Hope everyone is enjoying life!
2013-10-11 10:25 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Alright alright . . .

Feeling great today - quick run yesterday to stretch the legs, and the weather report for the marathon looks like a high of 65, with a start time temperature in the low 50's, and only a 6% chance of rain - in short, it's perfect.

Oh, and I just pulled the trigger and joined the Felt Mafia - 2013 Felt B2, running Ultegra Di2, Quarq Riken powermeter, Speedplay stainless pedals . . . I get to pick her up next week after she gets her Quarq upgrade and I get my final fitting and adjustment.

I'll post pictures later.
2013-10-11 12:43 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

Alright alright . . .

Feeling great today - quick run yesterday to stretch the legs, and the weather report for the marathon looks like a high of 65, with a start time temperature in the low 50's, and only a 6% chance of rain - in short, it's perfect.

Oh, and I just pulled the trigger and joined the Felt Mafia - 2013 Felt B2, running Ultegra Di2, Quarq Riken powermeter, Speedplay stainless pedals . . . I get to pick her up next week after she gets her Quarq upgrade and I get my final fitting and adjustment.

Life is grand. Those are ideal marathon temps.
That's a sweet ride. Looking forward to the pics.
Have a great race.
You've put in the time, now go after it.
2013-10-13 8:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL

Alright alright . . .

Sexy sounding ride. All the goodies on it as well.

How was the marathon? Looking forward to a report.

2013-10-13 10:03 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Burd

Alright alright . . .

Sexy sounding ride. All the goodies on it as well.

How was the marathon? Looking forward to a report.

X2!
2013-10-13 10:14 PM

User image

Expert
I'm happy to report that my hip feels pretty good. I went out and did 12 on the bike yesterday with the guy I will be raising money with for charity. I took an ice bath after right after stretching and it helped.

Today - I did my strengthening exercises and really pushed it then I iced it 2x before going to bed.

Tomorrow - I will met with my new PT. I hope he is legit!

I was thinking about you today Charles. I hope you had a blast.

Finally - did anyone watch the race in Kona yesterday? Mirinda Carfrae is a beast. New course record - and she made up all her time in the run - unbelievable!
2013-10-14 8:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
My marathon race report is up.

Major GI issues at mile 22 to 25 (similar to Chicago Triathlon), and once the cramps cleared, my legs were so stiff that I couldn't get back in the zone. Disappointed with the result, which seems largely of my own making. 5:22 finish. But for the GI issues, I was starting at 4:30 all day.

In another week or two, I am going to do some long runs and try to isolate the nutrition that is causing problems - yep, that's right - my goal will be to make myself sick on a long run - isn't science great?

Also, I'm not sure if I'm glad that I signed up for IMWI now - if the signup was this week, I wouldn't do it. I've got a long way to go to finish that race - very long.

I'm going to relax this week - masters swim on Tuesday should be fine, then get the bike trainer set up for some easy spins - probably some easy runs on Thursday or Friday. No major running for the rest of the month.
2013-10-14 2:52 PM

User image

New user
Auburn, AL

Originally posted by mirthfuldragon My marathon race report is up. Major GI issues at mile 22 to 25 (similar to Chicago Triathlon), and once the cramps cleared, my legs were so stiff that I couldn't get back in the zone. Disappointed with the result, which seems largely of my own making. 5:22 finish. But for the GI issues, I was starting at 4:30 all day. In another week or two, I am going to do some long runs and try to isolate the nutrition that is causing problems - yep, that's right - my goal will be to make myself sick on a long run - isn't science great? Also, I'm not sure if I'm glad that I signed up for IMWI now - if the signup was this week, I wouldn't do it. I've got a long way to go to finish that race - very long. I'm going to relax this week - masters swim on Tuesday should be fine, then get the bike trainer set up for some easy spins - probably some easy runs on Thursday or Friday. No major running for the rest of the month.

First off congratulations on finishing the Marathon!

It sucks that you had issues again but don't let them get you down on IMWI  you have 11 months to train and prepare for that.  That should give you plenty of time to sort out your nutrition.  That will also give you lots of time to build on the base you have and allow for a successful IM.  Keep at it and this time next year you will be able to say "I am an IRONMAN!!!"

2013-10-14 6:10 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert

My marathon race report is up.

Major GI issues at mile 22 to 25 (similar to Chicago Triathlon), and once the cramps cleared, my legs were so stiff that I couldn't get back in the zone. Disappointed with the result, which seems largely of my own making. 5:22 finish. But for the GI issues, I was starting at 4:30 all day.

In another week or two, I am going to do some long runs and try to isolate the nutrition that is causing problems - yep, that's right - my goal will be to make myself sick on a long run - isn't science great?

Also, I'm not sure if I'm glad that I signed up for IMWI now - if the signup was this week, I wouldn't do it. I've got a long way to go to finish that race - very long.

I'm going to relax this week - masters swim on Tuesday should be fine, then get the bike trainer set up for some easy spins - probably some easy runs on Thursday or Friday. No major running for the rest of the month.

Charles - I'm sorry to hear that GI issues tripped you up during your marathon. After all your hard work (and you worked soooo hard!) - you deserved better!

But as with everything - there is a positive side to everything. 1) You finished and that is quite the accomplishment. You now have 1 marathon under your belt and 26 miles of experience that you didn't have before. 2) You now know what you need to focus on in order to hear Mike Riley yell out your name when you finish IMWI. 3) You have nearly a year to train and that is more than enough time for you to crush it on your awesome new bike!

Don't get my wrong - it didn't turned out like you thought it would. But I think that when you finish that ironman - the lessons you learned will have been worth it. Plus - your PR for a marathon is 28 minutes faster than mine - so you have that going for you which is nice!

Edited by Qua17 2013-10-14 6:29 PM

2013-10-14 7:03 PM

User image

Expert
I went to my first PT appointment and I AM PSYCHED! The guy worked with me for nearly 45 minutes and gave me by far the most thorough examination I have ever had. He listened. And then he reassured me that he could help me make IMMT happen. I also told him I would make him a batch of beer if he got me to the finish line - so now he is properly motivated

It turns out that I have three issues working against me - 1) I have no ankle rotation so when my foot strikes the ground, it causes my stride to be misaligned. Also - I have no ab strength - and so my hips are also out of alignment. Finally I have incredibly small glut muscles on my left side which throws off my stride even more. He is the first person to not say - Oh my god - are your IT bands tight!!! I believe he is actually seeing the bigger picture and getting at the root of the problem. As he put it - your IT bands are tight because of everything else that is going on. So for the first time in months - I now believe I will finish IMMT.

So he gave me some exercises that are insanely difficult to build up my ab strength (they don't involve sit ups or crunches - instead they all depend on contracting the abs through extreme exhalation). He also has me building up my hamstring and glute strength. And then he has me working on building up my abductors (not sure why - all I know is that the exercises - when I do them right - hurt like hell).

My next appointment is on Wednesday... I'm hopeful.

2013-10-15 9:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by Qua17
I went to my first PT appointment and I AM PSYCHED! The guy worked with me for nearly 45 minutes and gave me by far the most thorough examination I have ever had. He listened. And then he reassured me that he could help me make IMMT happen. I also told him I would make him a batch of beer if he got me to the finish line - so now he is properly motivated

It turns out that I have three issues working against me - 1) I have no ankle rotation so when my foot strikes the ground, it causes my stride to be misaligned. Also - I have no ab strength - and so my hips are also out of alignment. Finally I have incredibly small glut muscles on my left side which throws off my stride even more. He is the first person to not say - Oh my god - are your IT bands tight!!! I believe he is actually seeing the bigger picture and getting at the root of the problem. As he put it - your IT bands are tight because of everything else that is going on. So for the first time in months - I now believe I will finish IMMT.

So he gave me some exercises that are insanely difficult to build up my ab strength (they don't involve sit ups or crunches - instead they all depend on contracting the abs through extreme exhalation). He also has me building up my hamstring and glute strength. And then he has me working on building up my abductors (not sure why - all I know is that the exercises - when I do them right - hurt like hell).

Good that you found the root cause. Now comes the hard part of fixing it
2013-10-15 12:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
I need someone to either slap me for being silly or cheer me on. I am tossing the idea around of doing a century on December 7th. This puts me 8 weeks out and all the plans I have seen are for 8 weeks if your base is 25 miles. I did 26 miles last Sunday and felt perfectly fine after. It's more of a tour not a race with 3 available rest locations if needed. I am really loving the bike and think I can do it but just need a little push and reassurance before I pay for it.
2013-10-15 12:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Originally posted by Qua17

Sweet! Great news just make sure you do the exercises that he taught you. Do them like it's your job and don't skip when he told you to do them
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society 2 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 70