of 71

2009-04-01 7:29 PM
in reply to: #2055727

User image

Champion
Sydney
Subject: RE: QUEEN ZIP & KathyG - CLOSED
aquagirl - 2009-04-02 11:02 AM

Yes I am post padding....guess I could have tacked this on the last message!

Just wanted to share a couple of things with y'all.....today I had an awesome swim lesson with my Olympian. We worked on stroke count. Yesterday I was dicking around on my own and working like mad to get it down to 22 . Today with the help of Andrea my stroke count was reduced to 15!!! Now I am NOT saying its easy.....quite the opposite, it is an exercise in hypoxia to get to the end of 25 meters with such few breaths. But I will plug away at it. She wants me to focus ONLY on this for the next bit. I am going to work on thi suntil it feels natural and normal.

Second thingy: I ran a little 5k today to see where my Vdot is at and did it in 25:29. Fastest I have ever run that distance! 

All in all a good day!

TRaining victories all around!! Woo hoo!!! Way to go

2009-04-01 7:32 PM
in reply to: #1857705

User image

Champion
Sydney

Does anyone have any tips on how they structure/manage their off season?

Im thinking about mine at the moment and here is where Im at:

1) At least 2 days off per week - I need to stay healthy and un injured so for now that will be a good strategy... I can go back to 1 off day per week when Im back into training for specific races

2) My off season has to be split: now - June, August - first race. July is always hard as I average about 4 hours sleep per night due to the TDF

So havng said that here is what Im thinking:  

April:

Bike goals: Get up early and ride in the scary darkness on a weekday at least once per week (so Im then riding a minimum of 3 times per week)

Run goal: Half an hour run 3 times a week focusing on running more and walking less

May:

Bike goals: Finish paying off my pretty bike so I can take it home. Start finding some hills and riding them more often... work on increasing my long ride

Run goal: Increase run frequency to 4 times per week

June:

Bike goals: Aim for 3-4 rides per week on the pretty new bike including riding long on the weekend

Run goal: Start to increase duration of at least one run per week with the goal of getting it up to around 60 minutes long term

What does everyone think? Any advice?

2009-04-01 8:18 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Cat,

Very well thought out plan and I think excellent. 

Couple of thoughts:
1. Swimming? Does that fit in or will you take winter (or is it your summer) off and get it back quickly come August.

2. Any race or events you are planning to stick in there? You mentioned a couple of rides you might do. Any running races?

3. Other thing to check is your mind/head. How are you feeling about training? If you are feeling excited keep it up but if you feel any lack of motivation or blah about it taking some time off is important to set you up well for next year. I know many just keep going and going but as I talk about below the best thing I did post IM was take a month off with no swims, no runs and only did two rides othewise I might have gone insane.

I found after my IM and I did unstructured training for about 2.5 months then took a full month off of running, swimming and biking and only did 2 rides including a cross bike race, I lost so much running it took me months to get it back. I'm not sure I still am were I was last year. I do feel for me other than recovery I need to run 3-4x a week to keep what I have or stay somewhat in run shape even if the long runs aren't there as that comes back with time and training. You are a lot younger than I am so that may be different. We both have had run injury issues so keeping healthy is key.

I love how you think about things and plan out your goals...really does help you achieve them.

I do see riding lots on your Orbea is high on your list

2009-04-01 8:27 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Cat,

I like how each month has a specific goal and focus.  I makes it easier to see the big picture that way.  As well as planning the nuts and bolts of how you'll achieve it. 

Get a small lamp for the handle bars. I bought one last summer for about $20.00, It's nice if I have to ride at dusk and want just a hair more visibility than a blazo orange bike jacket (with reflective strips) will offer.  The one I have is detatchable so you don't have a permanent fixture on the bike if you don't want it.

Definitely do a mental and physical self check as you start ramping up the run volume.  It's the biggest hurdle you face in both areas so it's important to assess how your body is responding and if you dread the run because you dislike running or if the body is begging for mercy.

2009-04-01 8:28 PM
in reply to: #2055890

User image

Champion
Sydney
KathyG - 2009-04-02 12:18 PM

Cat,

Very well thought out plan and I think excellent. 

Couple of thoughts:
1. Swimming? Does that fit in or will you take winter (or is it your summer) off and get it back quickly come August.

2. Any race or events you are planning to stick in there? You mentioned a couple of rides you might do. Any running races?

3. Other thing to check is your mind/head. How are you feeling about training? If you are feeling excited keep it up but if you feel any lack of motivation or blah about it taking some time off is important to set you up well for next year. I know many just keep going and going but as I talk about below the best thing I did post IM was take a month off with no swims, no runs and only did two rides othewise I might have gone insane.

I found after my IM and I did unstructured training for about 2.5 months then took a full month off of running, swimming and biking and only did 2 rides including a cross bike race, I lost so much running it took me months to get it back. I'm not sure I still am were I was last year. I do feel for me other than recovery I need to run 3-4x a week to keep what I have or stay somewhat in run shape even if the long runs aren't there as that comes back with time and training. You are a lot younger than I am so that may be different. We both have had run injury issues so keeping healthy is key.

I love how you think about things and plan out your goals...really does help you achieve them.

I do see riding lots on your Orbea is high on your list

Hi Kathy,

Thanks for your comments.

To cover a few things off:

Swimming:

I just want to keep on what Im doing - the Swim/run or Run/swim workouts are going really well so I will keep the up for the time being.

Because its my strength I know as long as I keep a base of sessions up I will see gains so Im not too worried. I want to keep it up so I am starting from a greater position for next season but keep it unstructured for now so if I need to drop something or cut something short the swim is the thing.

Races:

I have a running race on May 10th which is 4k... thats pretty much the distance I would be runnign so Im just going to treat it as a fun training session with friends... low pressure

After that there is a run in August thats a 14k... I have NOT signed up for it yet but its a MAJOR fun run and some people walk the entire thing. I will make a decision on it at a later date.

After that Im thinking a 10k (maybe in Sept) and a mini sprint but to be honest Come June/July I can really think about what Im going to do between August and my A RACE in November.

General well being:

Between being injured and then sick this month I feel like Ive had a great break in March (and one I needed as I was getting over all the training and the pressure) and the last week or so as Ive got back into it Im feeling pretty motivated and happy again.

I work really well with a set weekly routine so I kinow what Im doing when.  

I suspect when I finally get my Orbea in a couple of months bike riding may becom a BIG priority for awhile!!!

2009-04-01 8:30 PM
in reply to: #2055917

User image

Champion
Sydney
QueenZipp - 2009-04-02 12:27 PM

Cat,

I like how each month has a specific goal and focus.  I makes it easier to see the big picture that way.  As well as planning the nuts and bolts of how you'll achieve it. 

Get a small lamp for the handle bars. I bought one last summer for about $20.00, It's nice if I have to ride at dusk and want just a hair more visibility than a blazo orange bike jacket (with reflective strips) will offer.  The one I have is detatchable so you don't have a permanent fixture on the bike if you don't want it.

Definitely do a mental and physical self check as you start ramping up the run volume.  It's the biggest hurdle you face in both areas so it's important to assess how your body is responding and if you dread the run because you dislike running or if the body is begging for mercy.

Thanks Judi - yes Im about to be riding in the pitch black basically... before sunrise... Im going to stick to main riding areas which while a nuisance as they require travel will be much safer and make me feel safer on the bike.

I was thinking with running that keeping the runs shorter but adding frequency (as in an extra run in May) rather than duration would be a good idea initially... do you have any further thoughts on that?

I was thinking it means Im still getting less impact on the body in each session... so might avoid aggravating any niggles?

2009-04-01 8:50 PM
in reply to: #2055926

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
kaqphin - 2009-04-01 8:30 PM

Cat,

Thanks Judi - yes Im about to be riding in the pitch black basically... before sunrise... Im going to stick to main riding areas which while a nuisance as they require travel will be much safer and make me feel safer on the bike.

I was thinking with running that keeping the runs shorter but adding frequency (as in an extra run in May) rather than duration would be a good idea initially... do you have any further thoughts on that?

I was thinking it means Im still getting less impact on the body in each session... so might avoid aggravating any niggles?

That sounds good. Doing 4 shorter runs as opposed to 2 or 3 longer ones is okay at first but will eventually need to be switched into longer runs as you work towards the 10K distance.  For a 10K you do want to feel comfortable doing a bit longer to train.  Anything else (half mary or more) you need to not quite build to the full distance for peaking at the right time.
2009-04-01 10:20 PM
in reply to: #2055982

User image

Champion
Sydney
QueenZipp - 2009-04-02 12:50 PM
kaqphin - 2009-04-01 8:30 PM

Cat,

That sounds good. Doing 4 shorter runs as opposed to 2 or 3 longer ones is okay at first but will eventually need to be switched into longer runs as you work towards the 10K distance.  For a 10K you do want to feel comfortable doing a bit longer to train.  Anything else (half mary or more) you need to not quite build to the full distance for peaking at the right time.

Thanks Judi - well the 10k that counts will be in a tri in November so I have some time thankfully...

The hardest thing to work out will be what to do during the TDF month so I dont end up taking some MASSIVE steps back with my running... consistency consistency etc etc

Oh and since my run speed = a fast walk really I have to hope that improves too... I guess I should be thankful I have time!

2009-04-02 2:21 PM

User image

Expert
Cambridge, MA

Hey, Cat -

I got a headlamp last fall and really love it.  It works well for bike or run in the dark or on shady trails. I like it cause I was doing some mini-bricks then - I'd ride to the river paths, lock my bike then go for a run and wouldn't have to carry a flashlight or take something off my bike once I was ready to run.  Here's what I got: Petzl TIKKA I saw it when REI had a sale.  Really good for me for bike commuting when it gets dark early.

2009-04-02 2:25 PM

User image

Expert
Cambridge, MA

Gear envy!

I just got a 305 for Christmas, but I'm lusting after Garmin's WATERPROOF version!  My wallet says not today, but ain't it pretty?

2009-04-02 2:40 PM

User image

Expert
Cambridge, MA

Getting back into the swing of things after a little slumping.  Thanks for the inspires in the meantime, everyone!!  Decision isn't final, but I think I'm going to try for surgery in mid-July which'll give me my 1st sprint tri, potentially reg for a second, and my relay leg with the team in Maine that'll span 60-some odd miles along Mount Desert Island.

First things first, tho- 10k on Sunday I'm not prepared for!  So, 6mi+ on tap for tonight.  Not going to kill myself, but definitely going to push a little.

Here's the weird thing: I put on some really old sneaks (my normal ones were hiding)... like, 2005-ran-in-em-for-over-a-year Asics, for my 5 miler on Tuesday.  Oddly enough, they felt better than the Nikes I've been wearing as of late!  I'm wondering if I should ditch the Nikes all together?  In my vast collection of sneaks (think: Emelda Marcos, Lover of Road Races), I'm going to try my "newer" Asics which are only a couple years old and don't have too many miles on em.

Do you guys have a sneaker brand you swear by?  Have you experimented with others with poor results or have been pleasantly surprised?

I was eyeing a pair of Newtons, and this other Finnish brand (can't remember the name) when I was at a tri-store in NC, but left the shop before I could pull the trigger on either.

2009-04-02 6:24 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

I have come to LOATHE Nike's.  I also dislike Asics.  However....I do like New Balance and nearly bought Brooks a while back (should have, I bought the damn Nikes instead and have haed them from within a couple runs)

I ordered Newton's last week but they haven't come in yet.  Kathy G has used Newtons more extensively and could probably chime in with a good review of them.

2009-04-03 3:18 AM
in reply to: #2058971

User image

Champion
Sydney
QueenZipp - 2009-04-03 10:24 AM

I have come to LOATHE Nike's.  I also dislike Asics.  However....I do like New Balance and nearly bought Brooks a while back (should have, I bought the damn Nikes instead and have haed them from within a couple runs)

I ordered Newton's last week but they haven't come in yet.  Kathy G has used Newtons more extensively and could probably chime in with a good review of them.

Ive had multiple pairs of Brooks and all were awesome! 

Currently using Nikes...because they shoe guy suggested them and theyve been great but Im not starting to get some blisters in them with the running...not sure why!

2009-04-03 11:25 AM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

I like New Balance and Saucony. I haven't tried the tri specific brands but would be interested to hear what others had to say.

2009-04-03 11:38 AM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow

Hello all! Well I am trying to pry the eyeballs open after a night shift.... 

Once they are open we re headed out of town for the provincial karate tournament.......an ugly 7 hour drive.....

I shall be MIA but back on Sunday nite. Hope everyone has an awesome weekend.

2009-04-03 11:39 AM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
www.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.ws
Glittery texts by bigoo.ws

Edited by aquagirl 2009-04-03 11:39 AM

2009-04-03 12:57 PM
in reply to: #2060714

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
aquagirl - 2009-04-03 9:39 AM www.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.ws

Thanks Helen!!!

I'm number 1799 if anyone wants to track on Ironman live. I know these nerves are normal. Lots of HIM and Ironman events this weekend. Good Ironman thoughts in the air.

2009-04-03 2:10 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Key thing with running shoes is they fit your feet and we all have different type feet. I have wide feet that supinate but have orthotics so I needed to get neutral shoes. I wore Newtons last two years but my coach wanted me to change Mizunos Waves and they are working for me.

2009-04-03 2:11 PM
in reply to: #2060714

User image

Champion
MA

aquagirl - 2009-04-03 12:39 PM www.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.ws

Have a great race Jessica!

I'll be checking in on Ironmanlive.com

2009-04-03 3:27 PM
in reply to: #2061108

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
KathyG - 2009-04-03 3:10 PM

Key thing with running shoes is they fit your feet and we all have different type feet. I have wide feet that supinate but have orthotics so I needed to get neutral shoes. I wore Newtons last two years but my coach wanted me to change Mizunos Waves and they are working for me.

My daughter and Hub both love Mizunos. I am wearing Nikes for the first time in years and thought I liked them.....but then again I am having knee and ITB issues so maybe I don't.  I think my issues are not shoe related tho.
2009-04-04 9:49 AM

User image

Champion
MA

You can track Jessica's progress today at CA 70.3 by going here and she is racer #1799

http://ironman.com/events/ironman70.3/california70.3?show=tracker

I just checked a couple times and she isn't out of the water yet. Pros just started getting out.

2009-04-04 10:22 AM
in reply to: #2062361

User image

Expert
Cambridge, MA

KathyG - 2009-04-04 10:49 AM

You can track Jessica's progress today at CA 70.3 by going here and she is racer #1799

I just checked a couple times and she isn't out of the water yet. Pros just started getting out.

She's outta the water and through T1!  Woo hoo... go Jessie!!!!

(PS - the new BT design is bugging me out...totally unexpected.  I dunno, but I *think* I like the makeover?)

2009-04-04 10:34 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Enjoy your run!

TOTAL SWIM

1.2 mi. (38:14)2:00/100m114531

2009-04-04 12:38 PM
in reply to: #2062404

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
KathyG - 2009-04-04 10:34 AM

Enjoy your run!

TOTAL SWIM

1.2 mi. (38:14)2:00/100m114531

YOU GO GIRL!!

2009-04-04 12:47 PM
in reply to: #2062392

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay

running4beer - 2009-04-04 11:22 AM

KathyG - 2009-04-04 10:49 AM

She's outta the water and through T1!  Woo hoo... go Jessie!!!!

(PS - the new BT design is bugging me out...totally unexpected.  I dunno, but I *think* I like the makeover?)

Yeah Jess!  I feel the same way about the makeover.  I was more confused last night....so I guess that means I'm getting used to it.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QUEEN ZIP & KathyG - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 71