Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 71

2009-05-20 6:33 PM
in reply to: #2162920

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: QUEEN ZIP & KathyG - CLOSED

velcromom - 2009-05-20 9:24 AM I'm feeling ROTTEN!  Bronchitis, sinus infection, ear infection....cruddy.  Hate sitting here, but have no energy and no lung capacity.  Dr. told me on Monday that I wasn't moving air, and that biking on Sunday made her top ten list of stupid thing she'd heard that day.  I had to agree.  When do you all start back up after you're sick?

Linda

When you can breathe  

Seriously, if you are coughing up that much crud and having a had time walking across a room then rest is better.  You aren't gaining that much fitness in these taper weeks.  You will only do damage trying to train or race when you aren't moving any air.

Hope you are getting some neb treatments and soon get relief!

2009-06-01 6:27 PM
in reply to: #1857705

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
Auburn - did it!  Posted the race report.......got THIRD!  Got hardware....!   Hard race, but I felt prepared.  Had to use the inhaler, lungs still aren't great, but it was fun.  Hubby did well, and boys did, too.  Zach was youngest competitor, ever, and made the top half overall, 5th in 19/un.  Ty got 1st in 19/un, 5th overall.  First out of the swim overall, by well over a minute.  In fact, when they announced the first sprint swimmer out of the water, he already had his wetsuit off and helmet on - it was a crack-up.  They mentioned it at awards.  Ty passed me on the bike, and hearing "on your left, Mom" in a race was so cool!

Going  back a few days on the post, my 'triathlete' moment was after this race, wondering if I could squeeze one in before IMWI.   Hmm...

Hope all is well with everyone.  I haven't been great posting, but I do keep checking for updates and such.....good luck to all!!!

LindaCool
2009-06-01 6:42 PM
in reply to: #2187782

User image

Champion
Sydney

velcromom - 2009-06-02 9:27 AM Auburn - did it!  Posted the race report.......got THIRD!  Got hardware....!   Hard race, but I felt prepared.  Had to use the inhaler, lungs still aren't great, but it was fun.  Hubby did well, and boys did, too.  Zach was youngest competitor, ever, and made the top half overall, 5th in 19/un.  Ty got 1st in 19/un, 5th overall.  First out of the swim overall, by well over a minute.  In fact, when they announced the first sprint swimmer out of the water, he already had his wetsuit off and helmet on - it was a crack-up.  They mentioned it at awards.  Ty passed me on the bike, and hearing "on your left, Mom" in a race was so cool!

Going  back a few days on the post, my 'triathlete' moment was after this race, wondering if I could squeeze one in before IMWI.   Hmm...

Hope all is well with everyone.  I haven't been great posting, but I do keep checking for updates and such.....good luck to all!!!

LindaCool

WTG!!! That race sounds like a BLAST! Wow your family are all atheletes!

2009-06-02 5:28 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Love the "on your left, MOM"  still makde me laugh.

You know you're a triathlete when......you drive past someone running and mentally critique their run form.

2009-06-05 12:14 PM
in reply to: #2190383

User image

Expert
Cambridge, MA
QueenZipp - 2009-06-02 6:28 PM

You know you're a triathlete when......you drive past someone running and mentally critique their run form.

^^^ Ha!

You know you're a triathlete when... you're traveling for business to a destination that will be 80-90F degrees daily, and you unpack at the hotel to find that instead of bringing much-needed deodorant (since you'll be in dress shirts and business attire for most of the trip), you've accidentally packed Body Glide.  Yell

2009-06-05 6:18 PM
in reply to: #2197509

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

running4beer - 2009-06-05 12:14 PM
QueenZipp - 2009-06-02 6:28 PM

^^^ Ha!

You know you're a triathlete when... you're traveling for business to a destination that will be 80-90F degrees daily, and you unpack at the hotel to find that instead of bringing much-needed deodorant (since you'll be in dress shirts and business attire for most of the trip), you've accidentally packed Body Glide.  Yell

Too funny!!

2009-06-17 10:43 AM

User image

Expert
Cambridge, MA
Hello, All.  Hoping you can give me some suggestions here.

So, I bought a new saddle recently.  I had my butt measured (really!) for this one the woman in the store swore by-- a Specialized Jett.  It felt great, but not terribly forgiving.  I mean, the fit was perfect - narrow in the front to get rid of my chafe issue, and I felt like in comparison I wasn't even sitting on the last saddle!  The other difference - my last saddle (the Bontrager that came with the bike I bought earlier this year), however difficult it was to get my sits bones to be positioned well on it, was CUSHY.  This one, not so much.

Short rides on the new Jett (say <4-5mi) - great.  Really quite a difference.  But I just went for my first longer ride yesterday - ~16mi in the morning, 20+ miles over the whole day, and my butt KILLS.  Should I stick it out with this one?  Or should I look for a different  seat, maybe a gel?  Is there a substanial difference, or do I just need time to adjust to the new one?

A couple considerations:
I rarely wear shorts with any real padding.  I've been doing bike to swim to bike and trying to avoid padding that'll be a sponge and just wearing a tri suit with minimal chamois.  Also, I commute on my bike, so often I am just in street clothes when I go for ~5miles about town, which sometimes (llike yesterday) happens after a substantial morning ride.  (My guess is that this woman who loved the saddle is ALWAYS in the very padded shorts she recommended I buy later.)

The other thing is, I have a sprint tri coming up this weekend!  Do I really want to try a new saddle right before a race?  Alternately, I'd have to lay off biking much on this one until the weekend if I want to have a fresh rear.  (This is most certainly the first time I have typed "fresh rear" in a sentence!)

Ack! What do I do?
2009-06-17 11:04 AM
in reply to: #2224130

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
running4beer - 2009-06-17 8:43 AM Hello, All.  Hoping you can give me some suggestions here.

So, I bought a new saddle recently.  I had my butt measured (really!) for this one the woman in the store swore by-- a Specialized Jett.  It felt great, but not terribly forgiving.  I mean, the fit was perfect - narrow in the front to get rid of my chafe issue, and I felt like in comparison I wasn't even sitting on the last saddle!  The other difference - my last saddle (the Bontrager that came with the bike I bought earlier this year), however difficult it was to get my sits bones to be positioned well on it, was CUSHY.  This one, not so much.

Short rides on the new Jett (say <4-5mi) - great.  Really quite a difference.  But I just went for my first longer ride yesterday - ~16mi in the morning, 20+ miles over the whole day, and my butt KILLS.  Should I stick it out with this one?  Or should I look for a different  seat, maybe a gel?  Is there a substanial difference, or do I just need time to adjust to the new one?

I would say stick it out. When I got a new saddle my rump was sore trying to get adjusted. My first seat was very cushy the new one not so much and it took time to adjust. Let me be clear, I was sore, but was not in severe pain. IMHO if it's causing serious pain take it back. 

A couple considerations:
I rarely wear shorts with any real padding.  I've been doing bike to swim to bike and trying to avoid padding that'll be a sponge and just wearing a tri suit with minimal chamois.  Also, I commute on my bike, so often I am just in street clothes when I go for ~5miles about town, which sometimes (llike yesterday) happens after a substantial morning ride.  (My guess is that this woman who loved the saddle is ALWAYS in the very padded shorts she recommended I buy later.)

Consider looking into some padded tri shorts. I have a pair of Zoot brand tri shorts with a little extra padding. They don't soak up too much water in the swim. Kathy has also mentioned a brand that works for her.

The other thing is, I have a sprint tri coming up this weekend!  Do I really want to try a new saddle right before a race?  Alternately, I'd have to lay off biking much on this one until the weekend if I want to have a fresh rear.  (This is most certainly the first time I have typed "fresh rear" in a sentence!)

I say stick to the old saddle for this race then get training on the new one afterwards. One less thing to worry about with your race this weekend. Good luck, you'll do awesome!!

Ack! What do I do?
2009-06-17 8:54 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Mina ,

Jessie has great points. 

My butt no longer loves the terry split saddle I have on my road bike.  I now have saddle sores on both sides.  UGH  Even hurt when I was running tonight.  A co worker who rides a lot suggested preparation H (can't remember cream or gel)...I need to ask him tomorrow.

2009-06-18 9:45 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Good morning everyone!!!!!

Just thought I would drop in and confirm my existence. My training is very strange these days. I am getting in a couple commutes to work a week (50k round trip) and one or if I am lucky 2 runs. Although, recently got the jogging stroller so hoping to get out a bit with Marjorie and Brielle. We used the BOB Revolution for the first time yesterday, mixed results. Kinda got Brielle right before nap time and she didnt quite settle down, but it was good, definitly better than nothing.

Hope everyone is doing well. I have tried to keep track and check out race reports but I know I probably missed some.

Take care everyone.
2009-06-20 3:24 PM

User image

Expert
Cambridge, MA
Thanks, Jessie! 

So definitely keeping the seat, and probably giving myself a little longer to try to adjust after the race tomorrow.  I got some PI padded tri shorts today at one store, but none of the places I tried had tri-tops in my size that were comfortable! 

If I end up wearing the new shorts tomorrow, I could either:
a) swim with just the shorts and a sports bra. I am not a slender girl, so not a good look, but mostly it is supposed to be rainy and in the low 60s tomorrow, so more worried about getting too chilled before the start.  Ok... I'm also more than a little modest about showing my belly rolls to the world.  Ick.
b) swim with my best-wicking, sleeveless Adidas running top over it.  It's thin, close fitting but not too tight and made of poly + a little spandex on the sides... not sure if it would be a significant drag or not.
c) wear a swimsuit under the shorts. Seems like it would be uncomfortable to run in - I only have some snug one-pieces and think this is prob the worst option.
d) Just go back to the Zoot suit I've been wearing that has no padding to speak of.

Hmmm... I'll contemplate again after a nap.

Dunno what I'll end up doing at all right now.

2009-06-20 4:06 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Bike shorts w/ sports bra.  Put a bike jersey on in T1 and you'll be covered.  I have done the bathing suit with bike shorts, not fun.

2009-06-20 5:10 PM
in reply to: #2230906

User image

Expert
Cambridge, MA
QueenZipp - 2009-06-20 5:06 PM

Bike shorts w/ sports bra.  Put a bike jersey on in T1 and you'll be covered.  I have done the bathing suit with bike shorts, not fun.

Thanks, Judi! I'm just hoping there are no T1 photos. Smile

I'm trying to mentally get myself out of the mindset of racing tomorrow so I can just have fun... it'll be my boyfriend's first, and I don't want to take his thunder by being bummed this might be my last this season as my surgery's in a few weeks.  On the other hand, I still want to try to kick his butt!

Darren - I'm very impressed with the long bike commuting and you figuring out how to fit in the workouts with the fam!
Impressive racing today, Kathy!
Lisa, I hope the swim went well for you, too!

2009-07-03 7:31 PM

User image

Master
Hey, all!  Still alive around here.  Mina, how'd the race go?  How's the bike seat, (which is the same one I have, and i also got 'measured' for it!), and when's the surgery?  Most importantly, what did you wear?!?  I'm with you on the sharing the tummy.  Ain't happening.

Darren - impressive baby juggling!  Can't imagine how you do it.

I'm 10 weeks (and 2 days, but who's counting!) out from IMWI, and the nerves are starting to hit!  And, hubby talked me into IMCDA next June.  Jeez.  I haven't even done the first one yet.

Good thoughts to all.....Happy Fourth!

Linda Cool
2009-07-08 8:26 AM
in reply to: #2260758

User image

Expert
Cambridge, MA
velcromom - 2009-07-03 8:31 PM Hey, all!  Still alive around here.  Mina, how'd the race go?  How's the bike seat, (which is the same one I have, and i also got 'measured' for it!), and when's the surgery?  Most importantly, what did you wear?!?  I'm with you on the sharing the tummy.  Ain't happening.

Race went really well, despite lack of sleep.  I ended up wearing the new PI tri shorts and a sleeveless running tank.  One didn't help my butt, and the other didn't help my swim, but it wasn't such a big deal.  Reminded me of being in camp as a kid and they made you capsize and swim in all your clothes   Race report is here

I'm now realizing that the new shorts I got are not all that much better than my tri suit (should've doubled em up!), but Idunno about this seat. Around mile 10, I was aching to get off it.  I went back to the LBS after the race and when I said I might want something with a gel or more cushion, they told me that first, my bike seat was angled up and that may cause some of the discomfort, and second that I should try the seat one size up and give it a chance.  They swapped the seat and it feels a bit better, but again, after about 40-60 minutes of hard riding I did on Saturday: OWIE.

Linda, did you have any problems with this seat?  Did it take a LOT to adjust to it?  I'm kinda bumming that my butt is holding me back.  (There's something I don't type every day!)  But also a little irked at the LBS attitude (from two people there) that seemed to imply that it's just me or something... dunno... maybe it is?

2009-07-08 8:33 AM

User image

Expert
Cambridge, MA
Oh, and I decided to push back surgery until November or January.  Second opinion was of the same as the first (I need the surgery) but suggested taking time in orthotics first, so that's what I'll do.  I have high hopes for the orthotics helping my knee issues and running.  This doc found it somewhat incredible that I've been running for any amount of time without them and that my knees aren't dust by now as a result of it.

2009-07-08 8:59 AM
in reply to: #2260758

User image

Expert
Cambridge, MA
velcromom - 2009-07-03 8:31 PM
I'm 10 weeks (and 2 days, but who's counting!) out from IMWI, and the nerves are starting to hit!  And, hubby talked me into IMCDA next June.  Jeez.  I haven't even done the first one yet.

That's exciting!  How's the IM training going?  Feeling like you'll be prepared for race day?  Is your husband doing IMWI?
2009-07-11 6:51 PM
in reply to: #2269559

User image

Master

Linda, did you have any problems with this seat?  Did it take a LOT to adjust to it?  I'm kinda bumming that my butt is holding me back.  (There's something I don't type every day!)  But also a little irked at the LBS attitude (from two people there) that seemed to imply that it's just me or something... dunno... maybe it is?

my butt's sore, but it's always sore!  Cool  I'm not sure if it really can get better, so I'm probably not the person to ask.  

I think i'm where I need to be for IMWI, but, once again, I'm not sure.  I guess I'll know in 9 weeks and 1 day!!

Yes, hubby's doing IMMoo, and IMCdA.  Will do it quite a bit faster than me, too!!   Figure he'll have time to have dinner, take a nap, take a shower, and come back to catch me at the finish!!!  Cool  All I can say now is that he's better not miss this one!!!!

Good luck with the orthotics....that's what I'd be doing, too.

Edited by velcromom 2009-07-11 6:52 PM
2009-07-20 5:33 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Girls, how are things?

Hope all is well. I had a great last week. Lots of running, lots of biking. Did a 110 km bike, mostly flat, averaged 30km/hour. I am psyched about that. My running is slow, but it always has been so whatever.

Looking forward to August. Added me another sufferfest of a race, the Moose Mountain Marathon, it will kick my for sure, looking forward it.

2009-08-02 10:41 AM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Darren! Great swim ... keep it up

Darren HAMILTON

BIBAGESTATE/COUNTRYPROFESSION
159832CALGARY MB CAN 

SWIMBIKERUNOVERALLRANKDIV.POS.
45:44--:----:----:------

LEGDISTANCEPACERANKDIV.POS.
TOTAL SWIM1.2 mi. (45:44)2:24/100m76473

BIKE SPLIT 1: 28 mi28 mi. (--:--)-- mph 
BIKE SPLIT 2: 56 mi27.9 mi. (--:--)-- mph 
TOTAL BIKE56 mi. (--:--)-- mph--

RUN SPLIT 1: 7.5 mi7.5 mi (--:--)-- mph
RUN SPLIT 2: 13.1 mi5.6 mi (--:--)-- mph
TOTAL RUN13.1 mi. (--:--)--/mile--

2009-09-16 4:29 PM

User image

Master
Don't know if anyone still checks this, but wanted to say a huge thanks to all in this group.....you played no small part in my finishing IMWI.  Thanks to you all!!!

2009-09-16 5:28 PM
in reply to: #2410336

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

velcromom - 2009-09-16 4:29 PM Don't know if anyone still checks this, but wanted to say a huge thanks to all in this group.....you played no small part in my finishing IMWI.  Thanks to you all!!!

CONGRATULATIONS ON A GREAT FINISH!

2009-09-16 7:09 PM
in reply to: #2410336

User image

Champion
Sydney

velcromom - 2009-09-17 7:29 AM Don't know if anyone still checks this, but wanted to say a huge thanks to all in this group.....you played no small part in my finishing IMWI.  Thanks to you all!!!

OMG OMG OMG!!! Ive been terrible keeping up but thats an INCREDIBLE achievement! Congratulations!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QUEEN ZIP & KathyG - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 71